Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 596 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 Video
8. Re: Dark Souls 2 Video Jan 31, 2014, 06:12 peteham

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 00:07:
They announced today that you can and will be invaded, even while in the hollow/undead state. So if you wanna be a pussy, you have to be completely offline!
While I loved *Souls, the invasion part is not my favorite thing about it. I don't enjoy the constant interruptions while I'm trying to progress.

The people doing the invading are typically specifically built and geared for invasions, for one. That means optimal soul level for that range, and also very good gear. So even when you're not being griefed as such, you can be fairly certain you'll be heavily outgunned if you're just doing an ordinary playthrough as opposed to working on your 10th character or whatever.

As for more direct griefing for the sake of it, you have everything from the infamous scraping spear build in Demon's Souls (destroys your gear's durability/costing you a shitton of souls).. to creative ways of making the player lose a couple hours of progress by manipulating the levels/resetting your shortcuts (Anor Londo bridges, Catacombs), or simply destroying your save by tricking you into AoE'ing an NPC etc. There's plenty of stuff an experienced asshole can do to someone just playing the game for the first time in order to ruin their experience

So yeah, I think I'll probably be going offline all the way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed
18. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 10:40 peteham

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 07:14:
When I made my first hardcore character, I didn't know I could share items between other HC toons or use any auction house... It felt good. Now with the latter happening (for real) with every character, that'll make me happy enough. Plus the loot changes and expanded crafting, of course.
I'm slightly worried about the crafting though. Sounds like it could easily turn into MMO-style "grind for mats". The same goes for unlimited paragon levels, though I guess at some point it's going to slow to such a crawl that you basically stop caring about it. Maybe.

In the end, drop rates will be the deciding factor. They totally ruined Diablo 3 vanilla by turning it into a grind for gold instead of a loot hunt.

Then there's the skill system. Hopefully the whole gear setup thing doesn't revolve around trifecta and cooldown reduction anymore.

17. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 10:28 peteham

Shok wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 09:01:
Hopefully people vote with their wallets this time. When is the single player offline mode coming? I might consider buying D3 then...
Sadly, I doubt that's ever going to be a reality. Though while Blizzard's "oh it's architecturally impossible! It's fundamental to the whole engine" thing was laughable before, with the console version it should no longer be an issue. In the end though, "We can't" or "We don't wanna" doesn't make much of an issue for the customer..

Doesn't bother me much personally, though, as I only play co-op anyway. The only Diablo game I found even remotely enjoyable as a solo-experience, was the first one.

16. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 10:24 peteham

InBlack wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 06:39:
You are wrong Peteham. But hey, whatever rocks your boat. Its apparent that Blizzard is catering to exactly your type of customer.
I lol'd.

News Comments > PC GTA5 Preorders This Week?
27. Re: PC GTA5 Preorders This Week? Jan 30, 2014, 05:56 peteham

*delete: pressed reply/quote instead of edit =)*  

News Comments > PC GTA5 Preorders This Week?
26. Re: PC GTA5 Preorders This Week? Jan 30, 2014, 05:54 peteham

DangerDog wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 03:05:
harlock wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:02:
rumor mill says release is end of march

I could see a next-gen console release before a PC version comes out.
Yeah. This entire secrecy thing annoys me. If they haven't announced a PC version yet because they simply don't know if it's going to happen/things still really unfinished/whatever, then fine. But if the damn thing suddenly pops up out of "nowhere" in March, then what a great "fuck you" that is to gamers waiting for an announcement for PC/next-gen.

I mean what's their goal there besides maximizing the number of customers caving and buying multiple versions, because the wait could be anything between one month and never?

10. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition Detailed Jan 30, 2014, 05:32 peteham

I for one have already pre-ordered, and will be happily pre-loading it in order to get to the error 37 screen that much quicker on launch-day.

But seriously, I have pre-ordered, and looking forward to giving the game another go. No matter how good or bad it turns out to be in the end, the additional class should give me another 30-40 hours easily, and some of the changes look promising enough that I can see myself adding at least another zero to that number. Heck, the AH-removal alone should make the game infinitely better.

But we'll see. I've been avoiding all the streams and YouTube vids, 'cause y'know, I wouldn't want to spoil the continuation of such a grrreat story. Movingalong

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M
52. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 07:49 peteham

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:42:
Jar-Jar steals every scene he's in
Well, at least that much is true

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
48. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 8, 2014, 05:15 peteham

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:31:
Skyrim Redone definitely fixes that. Level 45 so far (though it's on a different curve, as SkyRE assumes you're running the uncapper), and stuff absolutely murders me if I don't pay attention to what I'm doing.

Not wolves and such anymore, of course, but that's logical. But a Dwemer Centurion will still kill me in 3 blows, and he's double annoying now because he knocks you down. High-end bandits are definitely still a threat, and high-level imperial soldiers can kill you. The Thalmor always remain a threat.

It definitely feels much more intense.
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll definitely check it out when I finally get around to revisiting Skyrim.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Removes GFWL?
34. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 16:24 peteham

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

You know, when everyone complained about the combat in Skyrim, I kind of shrugged, because it felt good to me in Oblivion.

When I finally got Skyrim I had to agree - it felt dated. In the time between Oblivion and Skyrim something changed.

I'd love to see them fix it. I don't care as much about the animation (though there's absolutely room for improvement), but combat needs an overhaul. I can't think of any obvious changes, but I'm guessing they'll find plenty.
I'd really love to do a Skyrim replay with the legendary edition at some point. The reason I haven't gotten around to it yet is because I doubt I'd be able to enjoy even two hours of the combat after putting 80-100 hours into the game already. And for the last 30 of those, downing more Draugr and whatnot was almost enough to make me puke

I loved the world of Skyrim, but while the combat was perfectly fine early on, as the game goes on, it becomes apparent that the mechanics are just too simple/shallow for a game that size. You do exactly the same things for far too long, with no variety in moves/tactics over the course of the game what so ever. This is made worse through the leveling system (like in Oblivion), which makes things ever more bullet-spongy. Some 10-20 hours in, you're basically chipping away at walking-sometimes-talking health bars, as your power-curve goes completely flat. Your moves don't feel powerful, there's no real need to block anymore, and it all becomes rather boring.

I'd like to see them emulate Dark Souls for future games. Obligatory tangent here: Seriously you guys, if you haven't yet, play Dark Souls! Most enjoyable gaming experience for me in years. Actual *gameplay* as opposed to most "AAA" interactive stories these days, amazing exploration and atmosphere, and great bossfights to boot. And I usually *hate* bossfights. The whole difficulty/frustration thing is highly overrated. Truly some of the best combat I've tried, having a fairly simple combat system at its core, which still manages to be fairly deep thanks to different weapons having very different move sets, enemies that require entirely different approaches, and where 2-3 hits kills almost anything except bosses (which goes for the player as well). Timing, learning enemy patterns (i.e. player skill) is just as important as stats, but it doesn't really require insane reflexes either, and you can outlevel stuff to get past difficult fights if you really need to. And finally, even when highly leveled, low level zombies can still easily kill you if you're reckless, so things never really get dull.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
17. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 4, 2014, 20:51 peteham

Bah. Would be nice if Rockstar could just confirm or deny GTA 5 on next-gen and/or PC. I'd generally consider it to be a sure thing, but because of RDR, I'm not so sure. I want to play GTA5 enough that I'm close to just getting the 360 edition before I pack the thing away for good, but after waiting this long, picking it up would basically guarantee a certain announcement the day after I finish it.. It's not so much the buying it twice I'm worried about, but more the fact I'm unlikely to play it twice, and want the "best" version.

At this point, I suspect we may not know until after a few rounds of DLC similar in scope to TLAD and BTG, or possibly some multiplayer stuff .. Then possibly a GOTY/Complete edition for next gen/PC after that.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 22, 2013, 12:14 peteham

Haven't bought a single game yet this sale. Figured I'd pick up Deponia yesterday, but nope, "you already own this game".. Alrighty, then! I think I may have finally done it: I've bought everything.
If I work hard and live to be a hundred, I may get around to playing about 1 in 4.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed
34. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Revealed Dec 17, 2013, 16:43 peteham

This is a mobile-game, right? Right?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
41. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:25 peteham

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:47:
I'm still on the fence about supporting this game...

Can anyone recommend a controller/flight stick to use with it?
By the time it comes out with all the promised features, you should be able to use a neural interface

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
34. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 5, 2013, 06:11 peteham

Julio wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 04:07:
I'm positive there's two people at Dice (i.e. a team) working on the fixes while everyone else works on BF5. The DLC is probably already mostly done already anyways. BF4 will drop to $5 soon enough, just like BF3 did.
Yeah, comments like this is obviously just marketing speech. It's not as if the entire company grinds to a halt while a small team of programmers scratch their heads. At most, a couple of extra programmers got retasked/assigned to the BF4 team, though depending on the issues they're facing, there could very well be only 1-2 people at all of DICE with enough in-depth engine knowledge of the specific problem areas to actually do anything useful within a reasonable time-frame. Any delayed content releases will probably mostly be for appearance's sake, as work on content/assets continues uninterrupted..

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
6. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 11:09 peteham

You can build a pretty impressive gaming PC on top of an ITX motherboard these days, which should easily outpace the next-gen consoles and offer more functionality in terms of HTPC and fileserver stuff to boot.. For instance the Asus Maximus VI reviewed by Anandtech not too long ago paired with a decent CPU/GPU combo.

Then again, that's always going to be an enthusiast option, with the price of a GTX780 alone setting you further back than a PS4. Should be at least a couple of years before the gap between PC and "next-gen" has time to widen to the point where playing on console becomes painful again, graphically speaking. Actually considering grabbing a PS4 early next year just so I can play the initial round of "next-gen" games without upgrading my current GTX570-based rig until there's are more significant upgrades than GTX780 or 290(X) out there. A PS4 should let me play AAA stuff for a least a year or two without making me feel like I'm missing out on any bells&whistles, plus I'll want one eventually for exclusives like Uncharted and MGS, anyway.

News Comments > On Sale
61. Re: On Sale Nov 29, 2013, 10:40 peteham

I've been close to pulling the trigger on BF4 at least three or four times now. But every time I've had it in the shopping cart ready to check out, I'm hit by the feeling I'm buying a partial product without premium. Irrational perhaps, but it's basically a 100% MP game and if I were to play it over time, I'd eventually need to buy that stuff.
This skyrockets the game into "there's no way I'm paying this much with no guarantee I'll like it"-territory, and I drop it from the cart, every single time..

My interest has been steadily declining since release, so I doubt I'll ever get it at this point.. There's a marketing/psychology lesson in there somewhere, though

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign
13. Re: Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign Nov 27, 2013, 11:20 peteham

Tim Collins wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 11:13:
The game just is not fun, straight up...
I tried it during the free weekend thing not too long ago, and I came to the same conclusion. I even played with a couple of friends starting out at the same time as me, so it wasn't that I was playing alone. We were all pretty bored by it, really. Didn't make it much past level 10.

That may fall short of what constitutes a fair shake for this particular genre, but I have way too many games in my backlog these days to suffer through hours of boredom on the off chance that things DO get better eventually. Also, I think I may be past the day and age where I was able to enjoy the inherent grindyness of ANY MMO. Though SWTOR, at least, managed to hold my attention long enough to complete a single story playthrough with a single character, weak though it was when judged strictly as a single player game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
21. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 12:51 peteham

Tumbler wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:43:
InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:31:
except there is no actual game yet.

The Hangar is a "game" by any standard. It's not a very good game, especially not for $60+ but we're past the point of complaining that this doesn't exist.

There are rumors of showing the Dogfighting module in action today as well, so keep an eye out for that.
Uh, I don't know. A level plus some unofficial/barely functional flying doesn't prove much. Calling it a game when it's barely a technical proof of concept at this stage seems fairly generous. Anyone thinking the Hangar module is proof they have much of anything, are incredibly naive. Throwing up a level in an existing engine using existing tools and some assets is so far away from building an actual cohesive game, it's not even funny.

That's not to say the whole thing is a scam or whatever. Though I'm seriously worried about the promised scope of this. Frankly, I have higher hopes for Elite right now (I backed both kickstarters).. The updates they're rolling out look great, and the scope seems a whole lot more realistic.

Also, people plonking down $1k+ on ships for a game that's basically still a fantasy at this point, either have way too much money compared to me (no fair) or are completely batshit insane.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 08:13 peteham

Eager to see everyone's thoughts after about 20 hours in. That is, after bagging over 9000 whales, cheetahs, chests at the bottom of the sea, board games, and all the other box ticking nonsense that made me absolutely despise AC3 like no game in recent memory. To be fair, I was starting to feel major series fatigue towards the end of Revelations, so that may have had some influence on why I thought AC3 was so utterly, spectacularly bad. I make no claims of being objective

Early impressions on AC4 from people I've seen voicing the same criticisms with AC3, seem pretty favorable though. If that continues to be the case, I may end up getting it before it hits 4.99 on Steam, after all.

596 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo