Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
21. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 12:51 peteham

Tumbler wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:43:
InBlack wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 12:31:
except there is no actual game yet.

The Hangar is a "game" by any standard. It's not a very good game, especially not for $60+ but we're past the point of complaining that this doesn't exist.

There are rumors of showing the Dogfighting module in action today as well, so keep an eye out for that.
Uh, I don't know. A level plus some unofficial/barely functional flying doesn't prove much. Calling it a game when it's barely a technical proof of concept at this stage seems fairly generous. Anyone thinking the Hangar module is proof they have much of anything, are incredibly naive. Throwing up a level in an existing engine using existing tools and some assets is so far away from building an actual cohesive game, it's not even funny.

That's not to say the whole thing is a scam or whatever. Though I'm seriously worried about the promised scope of this. Frankly, I have higher hopes for Elite right now (I backed both kickstarters).. The updates they're rolling out look great, and the scope seems a whole lot more realistic.

Also, people plonking down $1k+ on ships for a game that's basically still a fantasy at this point, either have way too much money compared to me (no fair) or are completely batshit insane.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Nov 20, 2013, 08:13 peteham

Eager to see everyone's thoughts after about 20 hours in. That is, after bagging over 9000 whales, cheetahs, chests at the bottom of the sea, board games, and all the other box ticking nonsense that made me absolutely despise AC3 like no game in recent memory. To be fair, I was starting to feel major series fatigue towards the end of Revelations, so that may have had some influence on why I thought AC3 was so utterly, spectacularly bad. I make no claims of being objective

Early impressions on AC4 from people I've seen voicing the same criticisms with AC3, seem pretty favorable though. If that continues to be the case, I may end up getting it before it hits 4.99 on Steam, after all.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
33. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 04:56 peteham

J wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 21:01:
I have one thing to say about Enemy Within at the moment: I had the ship special mission early on.

That was a nightmare!
Are we talking about the slingshot UFO or the Caniadian whalers here? Not that it matters. I got both early and they were both nightmares!

I'm enjoying this expansion immensely, and I have no idea where the weekend went. Apparently I spent a lot of time doing "just one more turn". I made the fatal mistake of assuming that gene mods/mechs would be for the end-game though, so I waited for ever until I built genetics/mech labs. This made the game rather challenging at times; I'm sure the aforementioned whaling mission would've been a lot more manageable with a couple of mechs. Once I finally built that stuff, I was shocked to see how cheap things were at the entry level.

Normal is still a bit too easy though, and sadly, the RNG makes classic completely unplayable for me without massive fits of rage, especially early on. Didn't take me long to revert to normal for this EW playthrough. Fans of the familiar "that's XCOM!"-line are quick to point out that the numbers even out over the course of a game, but I'd argue that me nailing a thin man on a lucky 20% shot once in a while, doesn't even begin to compare with a thin man nailing the sniper major it has taken me 15 missions to build, with an equally lucky 20% shot from across the map. Especially what with snipers being virtually useless, and a pain in the ass to level up, until they unlock squad sight and become instant powerhouses.

Losing people is just too devastating now, and it doesn't even come down to tactics all the time. With the RNG being what it is, scripted encounters dropping thin men out of the sky on overwatch etc, I'd much rather have a system where soldiers were "fodder" and upgrades more oriented towards gear in general. Ranks tied to individual soldiers could give more modest bonuses the way medals do now, still encouraging you to keep your dudes safe without completely screwing you over when things to wrong. WITH the current XP system, I'd prefer something a bit more deterministic in terms of hit/miss calculation.

On the subject of things going wrong, and the addition of MELD, Beaglerush posted this on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUM4VwLQzI .. I swear, this video cracks me up so hard! The girly scream makes it perfect

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 05:04.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
75. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 16, 2013, 06:57 peteham

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 02:09:
I've spent 30 minutes just trying to find a place to dock so I could find a "defense officer." Who, btw, likes to hide out in a shitty little room off to the side of the station, because God forbid, if you could find him, he might have to accept a job or something. Same for traders. Same for weapon or drone suppliers.
I haven't played the game, but that right there is some realistic AI! 10/10!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 10:04 peteham

Well then, at least there are some advantages to always getting everything a week late over here in Festung Europa. Hopefully things will be fully resolved by the time I'm able to download it.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 05:59 peteham

Beamer wrote on Oct 29, 2013, 19:42:
Ah, I saw this earlier today and thought it was old news.
Only watched a few seconds, but the Xbone looked better to me. I originally thought it was the PS4 side. I didn't take a close look, though, and it may just be that the contrast was higher on that side.

I'll be curious to know what others think, but it hardly matters right now - launch titles are often identical because it's quicker, it's easier, they're ports from lesser systems, they're rushed, and the full power isn't nearly realized. Then again, these can be ported from the PC, the full power should be realized much sooner (due to the PC) and this should be less rushed.
I personally can't really spot any significant difference from the vids. I think a lot of the reason why most people instinctively think the Xbox version looks slightly better may be, as you say, simply because the contrast and color temp seem to be cranked way up. The same trick that's used with show-room TVs etc. to make the image pop, while in reality providing less accurate color representation and a "smaller" palette. But when placed side by side, it makes the PS4 version look slightly "washed out" by comparison.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2013, 06:09.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer
17. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC Trailer Oct 29, 2013, 17:52 peteham

Based on the reviews/previews I've seen thus far, this looks an awful lot like AC 3.1 to me. I'll definitely hold off until there's a 75% sale in a couple of years... Ars technica's review headline was "Enormous, but ultimately empty". Seems to sum the game up pretty well. Other than that: Can't help but notice the very same media outlets that were handing out ~90% scores for AC3 are back this time as well. I don't know what those mainstream reviewers are smoking, but I want some of it

As for the increased focus on ship battles, I found these a decent enough diversion in AC3, in moderate quantities, but not enough to carry the game in any way. My impression of 4 is that there's going to be too much of it now, without anything more than a bit of added emphasis on box tic... er... upgrades... I was pretty bored with the whole thing by the end of AC3. It looked awesome but there was no real depth to it, just endlessly turning around in circles aiming that white strip thing and occasionally using the swivel. Towards the end of the game, the novelty had completely worn off for me.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 17, 2013, 05:34 peteham

I have to laugh at how utterly pathetic the Xbox Live Gold freebies are compared to PSN+. Does Microsoft seriously think they're competing with Sony in this particular space?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2013, 18:26 peteham

Pre-ordered Enemy Within from GMG. 10% off to start with, and 25% off with one of those weekend coupons I've been getting mailed to me once a week lately.

Can't wait! Probably my favorite game of last year. Even breaking my NO PREORDERS-policy. It's more XCOM; what could possibly go wrong?

News Comments > Daikatana on Steam
30. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 2, 2013, 16:34 peteham

Time to dig out this old classic:
http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/fpssurvivar/day4-03.htm

(Superfly joke @ day4-03 through -11)

Man, I'm posting nothing but links to webcomics today.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 TMed
18. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 2, 2013, 11:46 peteham

Eating cake and playing with portals.
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130930

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video
8. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Stealth Video Aug 14, 2013, 05:39 peteham

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 21:38:
snip rant
A million times this!

Another round of mentions for the crafting system. Awash in the sea of mediocrity that's AC3, it really stands out as something that should have never been included. I've used business reporting software that was less clunky and more fun.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 15:57 peteham

Redmask wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 09:46:
Making the camera a separate purchase is the only real "dumb" thing it has done so far, but they felt it was needed to beat Microsoft on price. Right off the bat, I will not be buying one nor will the majority of players - it will be either a failed or an extremely niche accessory. Meanwhile, every single Xbox One game could be designed for camera and microphone functionality, should it be desired.

These serve such little purpose though, it makes more sense as an optional peripheral. Developers probably won't target something that only a single platform can use anyway, I think we're past the Wii gimmick heyday. Most developers probably won't do much beyond supplementary features like talking to your party in Mass Effect or something equally weird that sounds neat in theory but that no one will use. The only decent thing motion control has given us is dance games and making people pay $100 extra for that should just be an optional accessory.
Yeah, the lack of Eye as a standard peripheral could only be a good thing. Less incentive for shoe-horning shitty mandatory gimmicks in there.

Tangentially related, the other day, I was reading about how Human Revolution Director's Cut uses the screen on the WiiU controller. Apparently, when aiming with a scope, the TV turns into a black hole and you have to hold the controller screen up in front of it to aim. How's that for annoying and completely unnecessary gimmick? "OK guys, we have to use it for *something* more than just inventory and maps!".

Meanwhile, back in PS3-land, I was happy to see Suxaxis-usage all but evaporate after the first batch of failed implementations. No more trying to aim grenades, fly or balance across waterfalls using the silly thing, and games were better for it. The only half-decent usage of it during the life of the system (that I can think of from the ones I played) is occasionally having to shake your flashlight back to life in The Last of Us. Worth the hardware/manufacturing cost? Truly adding something to the game? Uh... I don't think so.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
37. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 13, 2013, 10:48 peteham

MattyC wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 07:44:
I don't know, I rather like how skills work. Playing with different combos on the fly (yes, you o lose your NV) is actually one of the things I really like about D3. To me that is way better than a largely locked system like PoE. I just view that as antiquated and boring. Leveling 2 characters of the same class to max just to see the difference in a minor build variation doesn't sound like a game to me. That sounds like work.

Now the loot in D3? Yes that does need work.
Yeah no I agree, I actually ended up liking the ability to switch skills at will in the end. It allows you to change up your build for something more party friendly when playing MP vs alone etc. Though there isn't really much to do here at present. They missed out on tonnes of opportunity to create class/skill synergies here. "Partnering up with a Wizard? Ok I'll go with this" etc. What little is there at the moment seems purely accidental.

What I meant by broken skill system was how all your skills are basically powered by your damage. Combined with almost every single high-powered build out there being based around crit procs to either lower a cooldown or keep a skill running. This results in all classes needing exactly the same gear (+crit, +ias, and +chd), which is why the so-called trifecta gear is so ludicrously expensive (and with drop rates being what they are, almost impossible to find on your own).

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
35. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 13, 2013, 06:00 peteham

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 10:05:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 09:29:
Inferno act-II was where I hit the wall. I could either grind for gear that didn't drop for days or go to the AH where anything worthwhile was exorbitant. Maybe that's changed now, but unless I log in and the monsters start spraying useful loot, its going to be hard to keep me interested.

Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:48:
After I didn't touch the game for more than a year, I came back last week ... and stayed. 1.08 is a far better game than 1.05 was. Or was it 1.04?

I first finished Nightmare and Hell with my DH and was prepared to leave the game again when I'd reach Inferno. But I could afford some decent gear and currently do 67k dps and am well protected. I appreciate that I can exactly specify what kind of item I'm looking for. And that I don't have to waste hours, days and weeks to talk to greedy traders. Sorry if that makes me a bad gamer. ;p

Act 2 is where I currently am and that's my character: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Golwar-2180/hero/4385096
I bought every part of the gear within the last 3-4 days, besides the gloves that someone gifted to me. And all I had left from last year was something around 1.5m gold.

Trust me, I have not slightest problems in act 2. Currently I'm bidding on several amulets, next I will aim for a better Manticore with higher average damage and 2 slots. I can rightly say that I currently enjoy D3. No idea for how long this will last though.
Yep, the current game is way better than it was a while back. Inferno difficulty is a lot easier by default than it was, though it can be made much harder with monster power for well-geared players, like /players xyz in Diablo 2 basically. It's a nice way to allow people to progress at the speed they want.

You get ilvl63 items in all acts now, so it's no longer the case that you need to buy items found in act3 off the AH to advance through act2 (especially as a melee char) like it was initially. You also have paragon levels past 60 now, which actually add up to quite a bit of extra survivability and damage after after about 10-20 of them.. Basically, the whole WoW spreadsheet design philosophy of "you need X gear level to do enough damage to kill Y" is now mostly gone, and "how efficiently can I run this route" is back.

The new monster density increase also helped with the fun factor. Nothing like crushing face through one pack of 80 zombies+ in a party, with so many spells and damage numbers going off on screen that nobody can see a thing. And item-wise, there are some easily attainable craftables (hellfire ring and the new account bound craftables) that will give you an instant and significant boost way beyond anything you can hope to find or purchase on the AH within reason (or without resorting to the RMAH).

And yet, items are still inherently broken; the core of any loot oriented ARPG like Diablo. All your stuff still comes from the aforementioned craftables, or AH purchases. Forget about finding stuff yourself for very long, because the drop rates are so ridiculously low it's not even funny. Besides craftables, none of my chars are using anything I've found myself, and I have 3-400 hours in the game since launch... So then your focus becomes farming gold, which is considerably less fun than seeing something good drop at good intervals. The stuff you find, and the stuff you can by, generally falls into the category of dirt cheap or ludicrously expensive, with prices really skyrocketing once you get closer to "Best in Slot" potential. I'm talking at least 100 mill for a single item, with the very best stuff hitting 1-2bill.. Not even the 100 mill range is attainable for a normal player (without resorting to RMAH gold or getting a ridiculously lucky drop that you can sell), so most infermo farmers have to settle for lower-hanging fruit in the 5-20mill range, which is still a considerable amount of cash for any normal player.

In the end, I think the upcoming itemization patch may help, but to truly fix this game they need to completely redesign how skills and gear works, rather than simply iterating on the broken foundation they have now.

News Comments > Serious Sam 4 Revealed for 2014
11. Re: Serious Sam 4 Revealed for 2014 Jun 7, 2013, 09:45 peteham

fujiJuice wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 22:34:
I still don't understand why they haven't added the Hotline Miami soundtrack to the current bundle. Definitely the best one, I hope they eventually do. I know I can get it elsewhere but it would be nice to have it as part of my bundle.
Apparently it's due to licensing issues. If you have the game on Steam though, you can find the ogg files for it under steamapps/common.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 09:42 peteham

"Sorry, you invited too many people to movie night. Kick someone out or purchase a movie theater license to continue playback."

I'm going to go with the patent article being mostly exaggerated speculation in order to score easy clicks for now.. Otherwise, it would be a whole new level of consumer-unfriendly even for a company like MS

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 20, 2013, 11:08 peteham

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:39:
I cant remember the last time a game felt 'padded' to me. If anything games are becoming abysmaly short on average.
You never played Assassin's Creed 3, I see

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 14:03 peteham

My Kickstarter-total is getting ridiculous with close to 10 backed games, but no way am I skipping this one. Anyways, if nothing else, following the kickstarter and the updates once it's funded, is fairly enjoyable in and of itself. So even if half the games I've funded turn out to suck (which doesn't seem completely unlikely), it won't be a complete loss.

The great concept art pieces makes me sort of wish they'd make a fully hand-painted 2D-game. But I guess a 3D-pipeline is much faster/cheaper.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 15:37 peteham

Someone posted this supposed leaked image of the PS4 version on another forum: http://tinyurl.com/ahhfcyj
Looks like it's going to be a faithful port.

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo