Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 567 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 05:03 peteham

What I don't get is why they needed Orson Scott Card's name there in the first place. It may share the same universe as some of his novels, but the actual story is not the attraction here. It's basically a puddle-deep, cliched little thing that would've taken any competent writer all of 11 seconds to think of. About five minutes into the game, the only one who hasn't figured out exactly what's going on is our brave hero...

But heck, what do I know. Maybe to someone who's read the novels there some sort of brillint tie-in not noticeable by muggles like myself Anyway, aside from getting to pay OSC X amount of royalties, I can't really see what the developer got out of this deal. Perhaps some initial buzz, but considering the game is very good on its own I doubt it's been much help.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Trailer
6. Re: Heroes of Newerth Trailer Aug 30, 2009, 18:53 peteham

I've only barely tried the beta, and hadn't played dota in some time prior to that, but it's pretty good. Less hassle than the real DoTA. No need for third party addons to remap your inventory keys or reduce in-game delay

Most important of all though, one profile and one profile only, with persistent stats. Hopefully, the need to use IRC channels due to leavers/griefers will be, if not totally removed then at least significantly reduced.

I wonder how it will pan out though. Will people migrate to HoN or stay with DoTA? I also assume the DoTA team may move to SC2 in the not so distant future.. They probably have access to the editor already. Will HoN try to copy DoTA every step of the way and always stay one move behind, or will they diverge and add new heroes? Since there are a few non-dota heroes in already, I'm guessing the latter, but this may make some people all the more eager to stay with the "original" for now..

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2009, 18:55.

News Comments > Diablo III Interviews
10. Re: Diablo III Interviews Aug 24, 2009, 04:48 peteham

Edit : And for fuck's sake, give players a huge stash so I dont have to make PHJF-mule1, PHJF-mule2, PHJF-mule3, PHJF-mule4, PHJF-mule5 or PHJF-mule6 again.
Hell, I eventually went for item categories to be able to find my stuff without loading 15 chars. pete-swords-2, PeteJewelry1, PeteArmorsUnique7 (armors and staffs ate through inventory slots :P). It was a lot easier for the non-realm chars I used to play with some of my friends who hadn't *cough* bought the game. You could just use ATMA to drag and drop. Hey, we were poor students at the time Shame

So yeah, I fully second the huge stash sentiment. HUUUGE! But even a shared stash like TQ: IT would be a big improvement. People are going to want to collect items of various levels/reqs for future chars, alternate builds, trading.. All sorts of things. Why make it hard and tedious when you could have a massive shared stash with categorizations like the shopkeepers etc? They've stated their intent to remove inventory tetris which is good. Might as well go all the way

Additionally, I hope they don't mix in any of that soulbound nonsense. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I assume it isn't being considered.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 04:54.

News Comments > Going Back to Kali
3. Re: Going Back to Kali Aug 23, 2009, 16:04 peteham

heh, still have my keys somewhere. Remember playing Star Craft on it and it was more or less unplayable on my wonderful P90 and 28.8 modem combo at the time.. Laggy and stuttery at the same time - in the end nobody wanted to play with me because I slowed the game down for everyone.

Even less demanding games were laggy as hell, but still great fun. People were more tolerant of issues and horrible set-up procedures back then

News Comments > Sell Your StarCraft II Maps
37. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 14:00 peteham

I read this and I see Blizzard sitting there thinking "Jeebus, DotA did gangbusters and helped sell craploads of Warcraft 3 copies."
Hehe, no doubt.

Now, they have two options if they want to get on the gravy train. They could just hire the DotA dev team like Valve does, throw them a real budget, and create something that sells insanely, or they could take a page from the apple app store and let indy devs publish games, and when something gets popular, Blizzard gets residuals off of the sweat of other developers. This isn't compensating developers, this is a tax to use their game in ways that have become the industry norm.
And why not? They're putting a shitload of effort towards making SC2 not just a game, but almost a platform in its own right. People may use their engine, models, textures, sound effects, and high-quality tools, and create something in months that would've taken years for a small team starting from scratch. It's practically engine licensing. On top of this, they also provide a highly visible retail venue. I don't object to it one bit if they take a percentage when other people make money using their platform. So long as there is no baseline fee for "developers" like there is with Apple's appstore, and people can keep releasing their stuff for free, I'm happy, and I think free stuff will still be the norm for user-created content. It would take something on the scale of Black Mesa [Source] to make me pay for something user-created up-front, at least.

I think that it's safe to say that SC2 has jumped the shark. I'm no longer interested in a 1998 RTS with 2004 graphics and a 2009 DRM/marketplace scheme. The only thing modern about this game is how it's going to separate you from your money.
And maybe, just maybe, some of that Blizzard polish&magic that transforms games from just great to fucking awesome.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 14:03.

News Comments > Diablo III Monk Movie Mania
10. Re: Diablo III Monk Movie Mania Aug 23, 2009, 05:40 peteham

I don't really need a whole lot of innovation for this title. Just give me quality Diablo 2 gameplay with modern graphics.
Word. Diablo 2 with new skills/classes/loot/locations is all I really want. All the gameplay vids they've unveiled thus far all have the Diablo feel, which makes me all that more impatient for 2009 and 2010 to get over and done with I'm thrilled that they're not trying to "innovate" just for the sake of it, and instead stick to the recipe that made the originals so much fun. I just hope they don't polish it too much as some of the fun actually came from the game being a bit imbalanced and rough around the edges in places

Still wondering how long the anti-piracy feature of no-LAN will work. I give it about 3 weeks before the pirates mod that feature in hehehe.
I doubt that. If LAN was part of the codebase but somehow locked, sure, someone would find a way to unlock that. But I doubt anyone's gonna be able to write in full LAN support and ninja-patch it in when there's nothing already in the binaries to work with. More likely we will see private bnet-servers.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 06:36.

News Comments > Sell Your StarCraft II Maps
28. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 05:11 peteham

People have spent more time in Dota than most retail games out there. That one map is more fun than all of valve's products combined except for TF2 and CS. Would I pay more than 99 cents for a better version? Fuck yeah.
Then again, would it have been able to build a large userbase if it had started out as something you'd have to pay for? Doubtful.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think something like DOTA is worth paying for in the state it is now - in fact I plan on getting HoN - but I doubt it would've been able to establish itself in the first place if it had started out with a price-tag.

News Comments > Fourth Diablo III Class the Monk [Updated]
9. Re: Diablo III Monk Announced Aug 21, 2009, 15:24 peteham

Heh, the Monk video/cutscene/cinematic looked like ass. Didn't make me want to play the game at all. The plain gameplay trailer was far better.

Still can't wait for this game! W00t

News Comments > Crysis 2 Gets Nanosuit 2
16. Re: Crysis 2 Gets Nanosuit 2 Aug 20, 2009, 18:39 peteham

Suit Shortcuts.

Double tap forward = speed mode.
Double tap backwards = armor mode.
Double tap duck = stealth mode.
Double tap jump = strength mode.

Which I see someone else already mentioned.
Dear God no. Unreal Tournament always had me falling off ledges due to double-tap.. No doubt I'd be spending all my time swapping suit-mode without wanting to

Heck, there was nothing wrong with the wheel-system. It was pretty damned fast once you got used to it.

News Comments > Diablo III Preview, ShakyCam Clips
11. Re: Diablo III Preview, ShakyCam Clips Aug 20, 2009, 04:40 peteham

Gimme!
+1 Worship

News Comments > More Mass Effect 2 Story Details
14. Re: More Mass Effect 2 Story Details Aug 19, 2009, 05:18 peteham

Bah, with a little wine, cheese and the right music, all Krogan squeal like little pigs.
Ah, the krogan achilles heel: Lactose intolerance!

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2009, 15:43 peteham

Would you like me to point out an example of free DLC? The Witcher Enhanced Edition.
To be fair, I doubt the Enhanced Edition would've sold very well as DLC. It's more of a massive patch than extra content in spite of all the dialogue being redone etc. In many ways, it turned the game into what it should've been at launch. Initially, the load times, crashes and memory leaks made it unplayable for me. I would have ignored it if they'd tried to charge me for it, and at I salute them for giving it away for free. Bought it twice in the end: First at release, then the special edition later after finishing the downloaded version, just to have everything on disk. So, in this case, I think they made more from giving it away than they would have if they had tried to sell it, as well as a considerable boost to their street cred.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2009, 05:55 peteham

People aren't fucking whining about horse armor. It's just the classic, and best example of really crappy DLC. And it's the one everyone's familiar with. So if you're going to pull out an example, it's the one that's going to be used. Sorry if that gets your panties in a bunch.
Doesn't change the fact that this particular example's getting older and more tired than a Chuck Norris joke.

In any case, I really don't mind horse armor-type DLC. It's not as if people are buying something without knowing what it is - and if someone wants to waste their cash on something worthless, then be my guest. This includes electronic accessory items as well, like the recent gem I was made aware of on the XBox marketplace: Spartan Armor for your avatar or Mii or whatever it's called on XBL.. A true bargain at 400 MS-points.

With real DLC like Point Lookout typically costing only twice at much at 800 points, featuring dozens of new locations and hours of gameplay, it sure makes you wonder about the people willing to shell out for something as comparatively trivial.

(Even when the cost is equivalent to a few packs of gum ;P)

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 05:56.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Aug 17, 2009, 05:23 peteham

Why do people act like you are forced to buy DLC? Seriously, some of it is shit, but in no way shape or form are you missing out on anything significant by skipping it.
That depends See below.

From what I've heard, the PoP Epilogue DLC was fairly significant, as it provided an extended ending for the original game. Same thing with the FO3 Broken Steel DLC.
Precisely. I bought both of the above and they were well worth it in my opinion. However, I also think they kind of skirted the line of decency by adding fairly significant twists to the endings of either game. If you were to pick up a real sequel to either game without getting these DLC packs, you might find the transition odd, and one way to see it is that you have to pay extra to get the "real" ending.

In general at least, though it may be a tough thing to balance, I think DLC should add something significant while not being vital to the "core" game. Two DLC-packs that in my opinion hit this mark pretty perfectly, are are Lost&Damned and Point Lookout.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2009, 20:03 peteham

Well put, Beamer.  

News Comments > RAGE Screenshots
11. Re: RAGE Screenshots Aug 14, 2009, 19:38 peteham

If these are actual PC shots, I gotta say they look fucking fantastic. They're probably highly photoshopped as usual, but still, the engine is very impressive.
Yeah, and rendered at very high/unplayable framerate etc.

I'm hoping this will be a bit like Fallout, only with gunplay that's actually fun

News Comments > New Mass Effect 2 Character
2. Re: New Mass Effect 2 Character Aug 14, 2009, 12:27 peteham

Already starting to feel small tingles of anticipation for this game. Doesn't happen too often anymore While ME was far from being my favorite game ever, I still enjoyed my romp through space, especially the mainquest. And as always with Bioware-games, I'm sure the background lore and overall atmosphere will be excellent. Looks like they've addressed my main complaints as well, though how well remains to be seen.  

News Comments > Legal Briefs
4. Re: Microsoft Word Aug 13, 2009, 10:46 peteham

Software patents are a joke. Pure and simple.  

News Comments > Carmack on id's Cancelled Game & Console Schedules
8. Re: Carmack on id's Cancelled Game & Console Schedules Aug 11, 2009, 18:40 peteham

Sony has invested so much in the PS3 and still not have not seen a profit... they have Blu-Ray and lots of price cuts to come, and I think they will stick with the PS3 for quite a long time attempting to get what they can from it.
There is one other factor to this though. Sony obviously used the PS3 to push Blu-ray. If the PS3 helped BD win the format war, which in my opinion it probably did even if amount of contribution is debatable, then you could say it has and will be quite profitable. BD licensing costs are reportedly ridiculous, and will no doubt provide Sony with significant income for years to come.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2009, 19:28.

News Comments > The Force Unleashed on PCs
38. Re: The Force Unleashed on PCs Jul 25, 2009, 15:21 peteham

This thread should be re-named PC Gamers: The Crybabies Unleashed.
I actually have played through this on the 360 already, so any negativity from my end is well-founded Picked it up from the bargain bin and ended up having to soldier through on general principle. The game itself had a lot of promise but to be fair, the execution is/was terrible. They have some spiffy tech, sure, but there are countless minor and not so minor annoyances. The core gameplay was fun at times, but this didn't make up for a rather bland experience in my opinion.

Heck, without the Star Wars name and all the hype (granted, the combination of euphoria and digital molecular matter looked mighty cool in the tech demos), it probably would've gone way under the radar.

567 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo