Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 580 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Mana Replacement Plans & Q&A
5. Re: Diablo III Mana Replacement Plans & Q&A Oct 19, 2009, 20:38 peteham

My thoughts on the question is that it appears to be a good idea but I hope they don't make it an energy 'building' system where you start with zero and slowly gain through use of a power or just over time (ala Champions Online and WoW Rogues). Those systems are boring as shit to me.
Unless I've misunderstood some previous preview, there already is such a system in place for the barbarian class. I don't remember the specifics but I seem to recall getting the impression of it being fairly similar to WoW warriors in that you had to keep killing stuff to build up your power or something to that effect.

Of course, as someone already pointed out, considering how far the game apparently is away from release, this could be ripped out and put in again a few dozen times yet..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Trailer
14. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Trailer Oct 13, 2009, 05:43 peteham

Yeah I guess it all depends on how it plays and is it fun or does it ruin immersion. There must be another way to do it that the mod community may develop
You could always impose a manual reload every time one of your party members gets knocked out. Rolleyes

Or if that isn't hardcore enough, you could omit those immersion-breaking save-games entirely and start a new game from scratch every time someone dies.

News Comments > DotA Developer to Valve
11. Re: DotA Developer to Valve Oct 6, 2009, 14:26 peteham

After playing Heroes of Newerth, I really don't get what's so great about DotA gameplay. It's boring and tedious, and the players are assholes. I hope Valve doesn't go in that direction.
Then either the game is totally not your thing or you simply haven't played it enough. It takes a fairly large amount of games to really get into it. And of course, it's simply a lot more fun when played with a group of friends rather than a pickup group. Then at least the people on your team are cool, and all the more satisfying when you beat a team full of assholes.

News Comments > Cuts at Funcom; The Secret World Delayed
2. Re: Cuts at Funcom; The Secret World Delayed Sep 29, 2009, 10:21 peteham

Possibly, they're struggling. Or possibly they're letting people go so that they grow their new Canada office faster. There are several good financial reasons for getting the hell out of Norway.  

News Comments > MS EA Takeover Rumors
42. Re: MS EA Takeover Rumors Sep 24, 2009, 12:46 peteham

A console gamer knows that the vast majority of the time, they are gonna stick a game in, and it's just going to work, probably without any major gamestopping bugs.
Yep. But ever so occasionally...... A recent example: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=37231830

Wonder how MS will resolve that one for affected customers. Probably make them buy a second 360

News Comments > Steam Top Ten
20. Re: Steam Top Ten Sep 20, 2009, 18:29 peteham

RE5 is not really my style, but it looks really nice and plays well with a KB&M.
Been playing it coop with a friend this weekend and it's been a blast so far. Like a fellow bluesnewser pointed out, it's definitely a coop game. Mouse&keyboard controls are decent but still a fair bit clunkier than they had to be. Then again, mouse-aim is still a major advantage compared to playing with a pad.

The major disadvantage of playing with mouse and keyboard are the QTEs.. These are such a major pain in the ass when the buttons happen to be A, D, F, V by default. And really, you can't improve it much. It won't be WASD no matter what you do unless you map action/partner-action to W and S.. I really hate QTEs to begin with, and the ones that include the F+V combo piss me off every time because it pretty much always ends up in watching the cutscene at least 5 times. And with two people involved, the chance of failing is doubles, obviously. They even threw in some occasional randomization so you can't fully rely on memorization. Just for this, I'm deducting 2 points from my score

However, when all is said and done, it's an excellent port. Super-fluid even on my relatively modest machine, and not one crash so far.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 18:34.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
13. Re: Diablo III Interview Sep 20, 2009, 06:42 peteham

When does this game come out? 2011? Thanks, but I think I'll pass on intervies, previews, screenshots and what-not untill I'm more certain I'll actually still be alive when the game comes out.
Hey, for some of us, interviews is the closest we'll come to experiencing this game before we die of old age

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2009, 06:42.

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Trees
2. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Sep 19, 2009, 06:47 peteham

This is the least tree-like skill tree I've ever seen  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: PS3 Sep 8, 2009, 03:33 peteham

Did you upgrade the firmware to 3.0? There were a lot of reports of 3.0 being a pile of crap...
More info on this: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/latest-ps3-firmware-causing-uncharted-game-freezes-2009092/

News Comments > Tomb Raider: Underworld Postmortem
11. Re: Tomb Raider: Underworld Postmortem Sep 4, 2009, 04:26 peteham

I must be the only one who liked Legend best of the three.
Nope, I have the fondest memories of Legend as well. Our population just doubled!

Though to be fair, both Anniversary and Underworld probably had better "game mechanics". It was just that in terms of the full package; having an interesting story, atmosphere and a great soundtrack, I simply liked Legend more. It's probably because I had forgotten all about the motorcycle-sequence until someone brought it up

There's also Jerykk's point about collectables. For one, was there any point at all in finding artifacts in the PC version of Underworld? I can't remember a single unlock.

News Comments > Metacritic Scores and Sales
8. Re: Metacritic Scores and Sales Sep 3, 2009, 13:26 peteham

The critical reviews are generally a lot more informative than the glowing fanboy reviews.
The main problem with reviews done by the community is that most people only seem to bother writing one if they are at extreme ends of the scale, i.e. they either hated the game or loved it..

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2009, 13:29.

News Comments > Batman PhysX Trailer
5. Re: Batman PhysX Trailer Sep 2, 2009, 08:24 peteham

I've always hated Boss fights. They're just stupid, and irritating. But overall, yeah, Arkham is a bloody fantastic game. Definitely worth the rent.
I tend to enjoy "puzzle-battles" myself (where the main thing is figuring out what you're supposed to do rather than the actual difficulty of doing it). I no longer possess anywhere NEAR the required amount of patience for the more old-skool approach though. You know, the one where you have to repeat some insane jump combo flawlessly five thousand times, as well as memorize 20-odd movement patterns before you're able to bring the boss down.

With that said: Is this game going to piss me off?

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2009, 08:26.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Trailer
9. Re: Heroes of Newerth Trailer Aug 31, 2009, 05:15 peteham

Well considering Heroes of Newerth won't be free (it's gonna cost $30 or so according to S2) I doubt it'll get huge like DotA. Then again, maybe it will.
Depends on how you define free. You do have to own War3+TFT to play DoTA after all, and I know people who bought those two purely because of DoTA. In that respect, and with the improvements put in, $30 doesn't seem bad at all. I'll definitely pick it up once it's out even though I doubt I'll play very much. The DoTA/War3 community always seemed to have about the same maturity level as CS, and I doubt that will change very much in HoN, what with the main playerbase obviously being DoTA-converts.

As for other DoTA clones, anyone know how Demigod is doing? My impression is it seems to have tanked pretty badly.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 05:03 peteham

What I don't get is why they needed Orson Scott Card's name there in the first place. It may share the same universe as some of his novels, but the actual story is not the attraction here. It's basically a puddle-deep, cliched little thing that would've taken any competent writer all of 11 seconds to think of. About five minutes into the game, the only one who hasn't figured out exactly what's going on is our brave hero...

But heck, what do I know. Maybe to someone who's read the novels there some sort of brillint tie-in not noticeable by muggles like myself Anyway, aside from getting to pay OSC X amount of royalties, I can't really see what the developer got out of this deal. Perhaps some initial buzz, but considering the game is very good on its own I doubt it's been much help.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Trailer
6. Re: Heroes of Newerth Trailer Aug 30, 2009, 18:53 peteham

I've only barely tried the beta, and hadn't played dota in some time prior to that, but it's pretty good. Less hassle than the real DoTA. No need for third party addons to remap your inventory keys or reduce in-game delay

Most important of all though, one profile and one profile only, with persistent stats. Hopefully, the need to use IRC channels due to leavers/griefers will be, if not totally removed then at least significantly reduced.

I wonder how it will pan out though. Will people migrate to HoN or stay with DoTA? I also assume the DoTA team may move to SC2 in the not so distant future.. They probably have access to the editor already. Will HoN try to copy DoTA every step of the way and always stay one move behind, or will they diverge and add new heroes? Since there are a few non-dota heroes in already, I'm guessing the latter, but this may make some people all the more eager to stay with the "original" for now..

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2009, 18:55.

News Comments > Diablo III Interviews
10. Re: Diablo III Interviews Aug 24, 2009, 04:48 peteham

Edit : And for fuck's sake, give players a huge stash so I dont have to make PHJF-mule1, PHJF-mule2, PHJF-mule3, PHJF-mule4, PHJF-mule5 or PHJF-mule6 again.
Hell, I eventually went for item categories to be able to find my stuff without loading 15 chars. pete-swords-2, PeteJewelry1, PeteArmorsUnique7 (armors and staffs ate through inventory slots :P). It was a lot easier for the non-realm chars I used to play with some of my friends who hadn't *cough* bought the game. You could just use ATMA to drag and drop. Hey, we were poor students at the time Shame

So yeah, I fully second the huge stash sentiment. HUUUGE! But even a shared stash like TQ: IT would be a big improvement. People are going to want to collect items of various levels/reqs for future chars, alternate builds, trading.. All sorts of things. Why make it hard and tedious when you could have a massive shared stash with categorizations like the shopkeepers etc? They've stated their intent to remove inventory tetris which is good. Might as well go all the way

Additionally, I hope they don't mix in any of that soulbound nonsense. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I assume it isn't being considered.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 04:54.

News Comments > Going Back to Kali
3. Re: Going Back to Kali Aug 23, 2009, 16:04 peteham

heh, still have my keys somewhere. Remember playing Star Craft on it and it was more or less unplayable on my wonderful P90 and 28.8 modem combo at the time.. Laggy and stuttery at the same time - in the end nobody wanted to play with me because I slowed the game down for everyone.

Even less demanding games were laggy as hell, but still great fun. People were more tolerant of issues and horrible set-up procedures back then

News Comments > Sell Your StarCraft II Maps
37. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 14:00 peteham

I read this and I see Blizzard sitting there thinking "Jeebus, DotA did gangbusters and helped sell craploads of Warcraft 3 copies."
Hehe, no doubt.

Now, they have two options if they want to get on the gravy train. They could just hire the DotA dev team like Valve does, throw them a real budget, and create something that sells insanely, or they could take a page from the apple app store and let indy devs publish games, and when something gets popular, Blizzard gets residuals off of the sweat of other developers. This isn't compensating developers, this is a tax to use their game in ways that have become the industry norm.
And why not? They're putting a shitload of effort towards making SC2 not just a game, but almost a platform in its own right. People may use their engine, models, textures, sound effects, and high-quality tools, and create something in months that would've taken years for a small team starting from scratch. It's practically engine licensing. On top of this, they also provide a highly visible retail venue. I don't object to it one bit if they take a percentage when other people make money using their platform. So long as there is no baseline fee for "developers" like there is with Apple's appstore, and people can keep releasing their stuff for free, I'm happy, and I think free stuff will still be the norm for user-created content. It would take something on the scale of Black Mesa [Source] to make me pay for something user-created up-front, at least.

I think that it's safe to say that SC2 has jumped the shark. I'm no longer interested in a 1998 RTS with 2004 graphics and a 2009 DRM/marketplace scheme. The only thing modern about this game is how it's going to separate you from your money.
And maybe, just maybe, some of that Blizzard polish&magic that transforms games from just great to fucking awesome.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 14:03.

News Comments > Diablo III Monk Movie Mania
10. Re: Diablo III Monk Movie Mania Aug 23, 2009, 05:40 peteham

I don't really need a whole lot of innovation for this title. Just give me quality Diablo 2 gameplay with modern graphics.
Word. Diablo 2 with new skills/classes/loot/locations is all I really want. All the gameplay vids they've unveiled thus far all have the Diablo feel, which makes me all that more impatient for 2009 and 2010 to get over and done with I'm thrilled that they're not trying to "innovate" just for the sake of it, and instead stick to the recipe that made the originals so much fun. I just hope they don't polish it too much as some of the fun actually came from the game being a bit imbalanced and rough around the edges in places

Still wondering how long the anti-piracy feature of no-LAN will work. I give it about 3 weeks before the pirates mod that feature in hehehe.
I doubt that. If LAN was part of the codebase but somehow locked, sure, someone would find a way to unlock that. But I doubt anyone's gonna be able to write in full LAN support and ninja-patch it in when there's nothing already in the binaries to work with. More likely we will see private bnet-servers.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2009, 06:36.

News Comments > Sell Your StarCraft II Maps
28. Re: Sell Your StarCraft II Maps Aug 23, 2009, 05:11 peteham

People have spent more time in Dota than most retail games out there. That one map is more fun than all of valve's products combined except for TF2 and CS. Would I pay more than 99 cents for a better version? Fuck yeah.
Then again, would it have been able to build a large userbase if it had started out as something you'd have to pay for? Doubtful.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think something like DOTA is worth paying for in the state it is now - in fact I plan on getting HoN - but I doubt it would've been able to establish itself in the first place if it had started out with a price-tag.

580 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo