Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 590 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > TrackMania Forever Patch, New TMUF Campaign
2. Re: TrackMania Forever Patch, New TMUF Campaign Nov 27, 2009, 17:47 peteham

The extra tracks is a nice touch but the main reason for getting this is to finally have the main TM population patched up. While the previous 12+ months of unofficial patches haven't been strictly needed to play, using them was desirable to most. But Nadeo, in their infinite wisdom, insisted on only making these available through a forum-post on tm-forum.com which I'd guesstimate about 10% of the player-base ever found out about.

And yes, support for the steam version has been non-existent I hear. Not sure if it's possible to apply patches manually, but with servers starting to require up-to-date client-versions to prevent the identity vulnerability present in the older protocol, this could start to be a problem rather than an annoyance.. Not sure how that's going to work out. I haven't played it in a while now so haven't been keeping that up to date.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief 4 In "Good Shape"
15. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 17:31 peteham

Wait wait.

It'll have a lean system but you can only use lean if you're in cover.
Not to mention fully automated platforming mechanics and auto-aim for everyone's convenience.

So, to recap, there's Thief: The Dark Project, Thief 2: The Metal Age, Thief 3: Deadly Shadows, and now Thief 4: Jerykk's Nightmare.

On a more serious note, I hope it turns out better than Thief 3. While it was quite decent at times (as I may have mentioned before on these boards, I enjoyed the cradle-level in particular), could've been so much more.

News Comments > BioWare New IP?
28. Re: BioWare New IP? Nov 24, 2009, 05:27 peteham

I'm on my second playthrough, but I've put some serious evenings and weekends into the game since it launched.
Out of curiousity, what was your game completion percentage after the first time through? Thought I was being thorough, so was surprised to find mine at around 30% after 50 hours of gaming. Though I'm guessing it will jump significantly when I start completing more of the "main story".

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 08:39.

27. Re: BioWare New IP? Nov 24, 2009, 05:08 peteham

Only for idiots.
Heh, clearly I am an idiot when I find it a lot easier to evaluate the value of something simple like "15% poison-resistance" at a glance, rather than "+1 to saving throws for every 3.5 Con". +1 to what? Against what? Huh? My example may not be entirely correct but it's only meant to illustrate anyway.

Based on my own (limited) experience with D&D, it's overly convoluted and when used in a computer game that isn't constrained by dice: Only of benefit to existing pen&paper players.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 05:34.

19. Re: BioWare New IP? Nov 23, 2009, 19:10 peteham

I still hope, one day, that they make another D&D game. Though I'm not fond of 4th Edition, I'd still like to play a classic CRPG based upon it.
I couldn't agree less It's a matter of preference I suppose. While my only D&D experience comes from the infinity engine games, I found several of the gameplay elements annoying. Spellslots and resting, for one. Also, the fact that everything is based on dice makes stats needlessly "hard to read" when you're not dependent on, y'know, dice, and have no experience with the pen&paper variant. I just find it ill-suited to computer-gaming in general. Also, it created tonnes of save/reload gaming for me. Walked into a scripted encounter without ruby ray ready or dispelThis or protectionFromThat ready? Too bad. Reload, rest and try again... Getting into a bossfight with the wrong load-out? Reload, redistribute, rest, try again. Not an aspect of BG (well, only BG2 to be fair) I particularly appreciated, in spite of all its praise.

That's not to say I find the system they've created in Dragon Age to be flawless but on the whole I like it a lot more than the ludicrously cheesy multi-chaining spellsequencers, contingencies and endless shield-dispelling I was subjected to in BG2. Even though, if I'm honest, it's getting to be a bit monotonous in DAO at this point as well.

18. Re: BioWare New IP? Nov 23, 2009, 19:07 peteham

Their reasoning was that if too much loot dropped, then you'd buy all the good loot fairly quickly. To which the large majority of replies was "SO?!"
hehe you'd think these people were playing Diablo, and online at that. I actually enjoy the low amount of loot in the game. Less amount of game-time spent shuffling shit around the inventory screens, balancing slots and weight (shared inventory is brilliant, by the way). This was also one of the things I liked about games like The Witcher and Torment. Makes it all the more satisfying when you get new stuff occasionally.

Still on my first playthrough, probably about 60 hours in and taking my time, doing everything I can, reading every journal entry and basically having a blast. Don't know how people can already be on their third playthrough etc, but I guess consecutive runs would be a lot faster with all the reading you can skip, for one

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer [Updated]
21. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Nov 18, 2009, 18:57 peteham

I was like you guys. I started playing it and stopped after 1-2 hours, TWICE, before the third time (when the enhanced version came out) finally hooked me. You really have to get a few hours into the game before everything starts to flow.
Thanks, Unknown Soldier - I'll give it another try, based on that.
Just to fuel your urge some more, I fully second the above. The game doesn't really suck you in until you're a few hours into it. I basically did the exact same thing as you the first time around.

That said, my main reason for throwing it away the first time around was the horrible loading times in the original retail version. The time it took to enter/exit buildings was absurd. They improved it greatly in a patch not that long after the release, but by then the enhanced edition had already been announced so I figured I might as well wait and get better voice acting and non-dissected English translations.

Actually bought it twice now. Once at retail then the enhanced version on Steam. For great justice, convenience, and hopes of a sequel..

News Comments > Assassin's Creed II Interview, Trailer, Soundtrack
2. Re: Assassin's Creed II Interview, Trailer, Soundtrack Nov 18, 2009, 18:30 peteham

That sounds really promising. Love the acoustic touch. The soundtrack from AC1 was OK ambience-wise but the only piece I really remember now is the chase-theme from Access the Animus. This is shaping up to be a lot more memorable.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
26. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 18, 2009, 04:01 peteham

My advice to anyone struggling, if you come to a part that seems way out of your league, save it for later and go do something else. The scaling enemy levels don't really keep pace with how much more powerful your party becomes.
For anyone who's interested, here's an explanation of how their scaling system works: http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/challenge_scaling

Having a rogue as a main character might be a pain in the ass
As it turns out, rogues don't work properly in the current versions. Your damage is supposed to be based on your strength AND your dex, but currently it's only based on your strength. For the adventurous, there's a hotfix out for it (http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101) but most people are probably better off waiting for an official patch. I know I intend to.

There are other interesting gameplay implications from the hotfix as well. Improvements to ranged weapons for one, which works both ways and will make the game a lot harder, it seems. There's a lengthy thread about it (with one of the lead devs participating) on the official forums.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2009, 04:39 peteham

This. Some of the custom maps are much busier and none are nearly as well optimised as the official maps.
Additionally there's level size, geometry complexity, textures, shaders other resources, etc. Just because it's the same engine doesn't mean you can throw just any map at it and the reqs will be the same. You could easily bring down even high-end PCs if you wanted to.

I did some minor dabbling with mods/maps during the Quake-days, and also had a small go at HL1/Worldcraft when the game shipped. Being based on the same engine, the mapping process, tools and restrictions were very similar, and there was an insane amount of tricks you could apply in the editor to make things run better. Everything from scaling textures on "invisible" surfaces, converting solids to entities so they didn't factor into BSP computations, to moving hallways just a few units, could have major impact on your level's framerate. To get optimal results, as Mr. Faliszek says, "you have to know the engine and the tools very well". While there is tonnes of knowledge in the modding community.......
Nobody has the all of the creative talent, technical skills, technical resources, time available and QA that would be applied to an official release. Or for that matter the inclination to do the most boring things like plan.
QFT.
Then again, no amount of optimization can make the aging console hardware catch up with PC specs. This is probably going to be more about compromise than optimization. The mod-makers' main incentive for expending the effort will be having more people able to see their work I suppose, which is pretty strong as the drive behind most non-profit projects tends to be "for fun&glory".

News Comments > Halo PC Patches
6. Re: Halo PC Patches Nov 10, 2009, 03:40 peteham

Having to lead targets by 3-5 feet (varies depending on the ping of the person you're aiming at) with instant shot weapons like a sniper or pistol rifle completely neuters the potentially good time I'd otherwise have been having.
Yeah, the netcode was atrociously bad to the point it's hard to imagine without having actually played it. It was even worse pre community edition.

I seem to remember hearing that there's some minor amount of bullet physics/travel involved with all the guns in Halo, i.e. no true hitscan-weapons. Unless I'm misremembering (it's been a few years ;P), you would notice this on some of the longer/open maps like Blood Gulch where you had to aim slightly above someone's head to actually hit them there from across the map.

The thing I've never liked about Halo multiplayer is the reliance on powerweapons, much like Goldeneye on N64 though not so extreme. Though at least in golden eye you could smack your opponent with a pillow when he whored the golden gun.

News Comments > Borderlands Console DLC This Month, PC "Later"
6. Re: Borderlands Console DLC This Month, Nov 9, 2009, 19:05 peteham

I am looking forward to this more than I am looking forward to most full release games. Wow. Didn't realize Borderlands had such a hold on me.
For some reason, the game just didn't grab me at all. People everywhere seem to like it. My friends certainly did as they're currently prepping for a playthrough with different classes - a mission I have no intention of joining

I don't know... By the time we finally finished the first playthrough, I was starting to get pretty bored. Got worse fast during the second playthrough. The game is sadly lacking in the challenge department. May have been our own fault for being too thorough with all the quests and leveling too fast, but whatever the cause, things were consistently fairly easy. Some exceptions to this, but not many. The arena missions were fun throughout (survive the waves), and also some of the minibosses. The "real" bosses were - again - fairly easy. Otherwise, it was as generic a grind as any. Go to place X, kill 10 Y, bring back 5 Z. With the requisite MMO AI that generally just comes running straight for you. Truly missed the gameplay of L4D where we actually had work together constantly on the hardest difficulty. The _few_ times we wiped (with no real consequence) was mostly due to people going too rambo due to the low difficulty. Besides, the whole item/leveling system didn't really offset the rather lackluster gameplay in my opinion.

Bonus-exp for the killshot really annoyed me as well. It sort of undermines the support classes/builds when your pals pull ahead of you on levels. Nothing serious as the distance never went beyond half a level, but slightly irritating none the less.

Oh, and I'll refrain from mentioning the interface issues this time

News Comments > EA Layoffs?
20. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:53 peteham

Where the fuck are these 'tards spending all that money? Wait, I know, on fucking advertising...
Let's hope the people fired were on the Dragon Age marketing team. From what I've seen of the game so far, it's every bit as good as the advertisement-campaign was bad.

And that's saying something.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailers
3. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailers Nov 7, 2009, 14:00 peteham

It always amazes me how non lethal future weapons are compared to today's weapons.
Well, the enemies do run around with personal shields

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patched
23. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patched Nov 6, 2009, 13:14 peteham

I did buy it, genius. The thing is that it doesn't FUCKING WORK.
I must've been fortunate, because I had no issues redeeming and installing the CE stuff. Maybe the extra day was the deciding factor, as I didn't get around to doing it until this evening. Haven't had time to play much more than 1hr or so either, but I'm liking it so far.

The thing that pisses me off the most is Warden's Keep. I had actually missed the fact that you apparently need this DLC if you want some place to stash your loot rather than dragging it along with you everywhere. The price of admission is small change in monetary terms but it fucking galls anyway.. I already paid for the damn collector's edition, and still I have to pay an extra premium to get a feature I consider fairly crucial. This isn't extra content. This is just an essential piece of the game ripped out so they can make some extra cash. Regardless, I succumbed, purchased and now, every time I stash a piece of loot it will serve as a nice reminder of what a tool I am for supporting this shit.

Thank you very much, EA.

News Comments > WoW Microtransactions Begin
26. Re: WoW Microtransactions Begin Nov 5, 2009, 05:21 peteham

Aesthetic stuff that doesn't affect gameplay.
Just paving the way

News Comments > Force Unleashed Ships
29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Wars The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition Nov 4, 2009, 11:59 peteham

I remember in the ramp up to the game a developer said they really wanted to give you the feeling of being a badass unstoppable jedi. They missed the mark by so much that it's insane.
"What is the core of gameplay? Kicking someone's ass with the force!"
Remember that one from the early developer interviews, eh?

What is the core of game-development?
Making a game that doesn't suck.

Such potential. Nearly all wasted.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 12:03.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC Plans
25. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Plans Nov 3, 2009, 15:31 peteham

Some of us remember gaming before Diablo 2. Besides that, a patch to fix bugs is one thing. Part of the game missing, yet purchasable later is another.
Actually, D2 wasn't that great until they released the expansion, which made the game 10x better. Decent, certainly, but not the brilliant gem it turned into with LoD.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 04:41 peteham

We ALREADY spend 5+ minutes sorting through the guns that drop during large encounters.
My thinking as well. Though at least 2.5 of those 5+ minutes can be blamed on the absurdly bad interface that is apparently cut&pasted from the console-version with a cursor on top.

Although I will say right now that I hate the way the cars drive. They drive like the warthogs in Halo, which also are designed to Piss You Right The Fuck Off. You can't look around the vehicle without turning that direction, so we have to rely on callouts from one of the people in the turrets. Before figuring this out, we were running the cars into rock walls (and each other) all the time while just trying to get our bearings.
I have no issues with the directional steering really. It's more a matter of the driving physics and general car handling being an absolute joke. Get stuck on everything? Check. Ridiculous handling? Check. Useless turret? Check. Get stuck on everything - again? Check. In the end, we only used cars to get from point A to point B quickly, while the gunner went to sleep. Not that impressive for a game that touts "fun & exciting vehicle battles!". Halo's vehicles are 100x better than the crap cars in Borderlands.

In total, I'm fairly disappointed with the game. Got playthrough 1 down now, and I'm not sure if I'll be up for playthrough 2 as I was completely bored towards the end. The game doesn't really change as you go along, and the sense of progression is completely missing. Same-looking areas, same enemies with more hp, bigger guns to compensate for more hp = constant amount of time-to-kill.. Same fighting strategy the entire way through, enemy AI being what it is (or isn't). For me, it got old pretty fast, though some of the more hectic missions were fun. I feel I got a lot more out of L4D as that at least was more about playing well than just burning down mobs MMO-style.

YMMV I suppose. Most people seem to like the game a lot more than I do, including the people who now want me to join in for playthrough number two On thing I won't complain about is the technical aspects of the game, though. It looks and runs great even of my low/middle-end rig. Not one hitch during this weekend's play-sessions.

590 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo