Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 573 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 20, 2010, 10:59 peteham

Call me stupid, but wouldn't paying $5k for a "lost" phone essentially be the same as buying something you that was known to be stolen?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
42. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 06:37 peteham

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 03:21:
Okay, so I got a little dark there for a sec. My bad.
There's no 'dark' in "fully biodegradable material". Hahaha_no

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Green" Packaging
34. Re: Ubisoft's Apr 20, 2010, 02:49 peteham

Ubisoft can make boxes and manuals out of human skin for all I care
Now there's a collector's edition I would buy. It would go well with my necklace of ears.

On a more serious note, does anyone even read the tiny pamphlets included with games today? Losing them completely isn't going to be much of a loss.

News Comments > WoW, That's an Expensive Horse
64. Re: WoW, That's an Expensive Horse Apr 16, 2010, 05:55 peteham

It gets better, folks. Rumour has it, Blizzard will be releasing extra accessories for this mount. That's right: For an additional $5, you can get an ashtray, cupholder, a christmas tree, anti-wrinkle cream or a soap-on-a-rope. Or buy the bundle for only $20!

And for the grand finale, the Celestial Steed MLRS toolkit. For a measly $50 you will be able to outfit your mount with a weapon of mass destruction that will tear through your enemies at only $1 per missile!

Edit: Oh, Activision, if you're there, I'm available for hire. I look forward to working with your marketing department, and can start tomorrow.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2010, 06:04.

News Comments > Pro StarCraft Cheating Scandal
4. Re: Pro StarCraft Cheating Scandal Apr 13, 2010, 11:32 peteham

It's a good thing that we at Bluesnews we don't make absolute statements or stereotype.
It is indeed. The final bastion of enlightenment.

News Comments > Pro StarCraft Cheating Scandal
2. Re: Pro StarCraft Cheating Scandal Apr 13, 2010, 11:05 peteham

It's not only money and fame but also the general maturity-level of the scene in general, or heck, gamers in general. You know, your typical male 16-18 year old. It's one of the reasons pro-gaming is never going to hold much mainstream appeal in spite of some people/organisations' efforts. It's hard to idolize an obnoxious zit-faced wanker with a cracked voice and terrible hygiene.  

News Comments > Cancelled Halo MMOG Details
7. Re: Cancelled Halo MMOG Details Apr 13, 2010, 03:41 peteham

90 million dollars for a MMOG about an FPS with little to no story. No wonder nobody in the gaming industry seems to be able to make money.
Eh, no. Say what you want about the actual gameplay of the Halo-series, but after four games (well, five if you count the RTS I suppose; can't comment on that though) and X amount of novels (if you count those), the lore is actually fairly rich. Sure, it's the usual space-opera theme of "mankind on the brink of destruction" with cliches like "ancient race gone thousands of years ago" blah blah. Then again, show me any fantasy or sci-fi completely devoid of cliches, and I'll give you a million dollars. (it's gonna have to be monopoly money though, as I can't afford it otherwise..)

As far as the Halo universe/lore goes, I have no problems seeing it host a Mass Effect-like game. Of course, Halo being an FPS, the actual narrative isn't anywhere near ME, but I'd put it fully on par with HL2 in terms of story. Which is to say it could make a wonderful B-movie or blockbuster if they threw a large enough budget at it

On the subject of the MMO cancellation, I've gotta say I'm happy. Seems like the usual publisher cluelessness, thinking something like "Oh, Blizzard is printing money with WoW. Let's throw something half-assed together and get a piece of the action!"

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Kick In The Groin Apr 11, 2010, 07:13 peteham

Still, if a service like this let me run Civ 4 on an iPad or similar device I'd be pretty happy.
That would be pretty sweet indeed, but since the entire premise of OnLive is dedicated (and proprietary) compression hardware, I don't see this happening for quite some years..

But OnLive has a lot going for it assuming it works well, and publishers may very well flock to it because of how it completely eliminates the possibility of piracy. But like you said, I think they may be a bit early. At any rate, it's going to be a while before we see this in Europe etc.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2010, 07:18.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2010, 18:27 peteham

I don't really see how Steam and OnLive are comparable services. Steam is pretty much pure content delivery, while OnLive is about being able to rent a simple box that you just hook up to the TV and then being able to ignore all things hardware for the next decade or so..

If it works as well as advertised (which I doubt), it certainly has a large set of potentially appealing features. On the other hand, some of the obstacles seem insurmountable to me:

- Pricing. Their model is looking too expensive. Don't remember the exact suggested figures nor can I be bothered to look them up, but a subscription fee in addition to rental fees per game will probably kill most people's interest right off the bat..
- Datacenter density and availability.
- Response times.
- Image quality.
- Who are they gonna sell to? I don't imagine current PC Gamers are about to replace their PC-setups with an OnLive boxes and gamepads any time soon. The service will likely never provide console games either; I doubt Sony or MS will want to undermine their own console sales even if the hardware itself is not where the money is made..

The point I'm trying to make is that if OnLive ends up being a big flop, it will have very little to do with Steam.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC
11. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 10:21 peteham

Isn't this what the typical expansion does, add on after the main campaign? Dragon Age Awakening, for example. That doesn't mean PoP was unfinished any more than Dragon Age was, really, and I hear that epilogue was pointless.
I find it perfectly reasonable and even expected that expansions continue the main campaign. In my view, the only real difference between a solid expansion and a "real" sequel, is the reuse of the existing engine/toolset with only minor changes, allowing for a much much short time to market, but still giving a massively larger possible scope than tiny bits and pieces of DLC.

As far as PoP goes, episodic DLC is probably what UBI had in mind with PoP from the start. The game ended on a major cliff-hanger. The DLC continued right where it left off and ended on a slightly smaller cliffhanger, which probably would've been followed by yet more episodes if the game had sold better. Of course these episodes, when put together, would've formed a cohesive unit that could be released as a stand-alone expansion but if that was the plan then I would rather see it released as an expansion in the first place. Most DLC could not really be put together in this fashion though, being compact and completely disconnected units by definition.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC
9. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC Apr 7, 2010, 05:24 peteham

Personally I'd rather pay 2-3-4 times the amount and get a few solid hours out of some really well made content, than just a dab here and there.
Yeah. Here's to DA:Awakening signaling a return to proper expansions. On that note, I haven't had time to play it so I don't know if it's actually good or not yet..

I just don't think I'll ever see a point in these packs. It's not so much about price as the fact that I'm generally done with the game by the time they drop, and I'm not going to pick it up again just to play some "random" 1 hour-long side-mission. It would probably be nice to have for my eventual pre ME3 replay, but it's not essential enough for me to throw down $7 even if that's a tiny amount. for a 40 hour long game, what's another character/mission? So that leaves GOTY-editions I suppose, but in most cases I'm not going to be inclined to buy the game twice.

The only thing that would make me interested in small DLC packs like this is basically if something was added to the main story arch, but that is an Unholy Path(tm) best left alone. Case in point: The Prince of Persia epilogue, which picked up right after the end of the main-game cliffhanger. Granted, I did enjoy the extra hour or two but I'm not thrilled about having to throw down a few extra bucks in order to see the full story..
Fortunately it hasn't been repeated by other studios as far as I know(?).

News Comments > BioWare Bazaar Follow-up
2. Re: BioWare Bazaar Follow-up Mar 30, 2010, 20:42 peteham

I'm mainly miffed at their frivolous use of countdowns so this doesn't help me in the least.

Announce KOTOR3 or I will keep nerdraging on forums everywhere and put a banner in my sig like the doodz on the bioware social forums! You have been warned, Bioware! Bomb

News Comments > BioWare Bazaar
10. Re: BioWare Bazaar Mar 30, 2010, 15:44 peteham

Hahah what a joke. Way to raise everyone's expectations with the countdown and then drop something this lame. Throw in the restrictions and it's not even relevant for most of us. Not that I really care about that particular detail, as I have zero interest in their novelty items anyway.. But a countdown? Really? Here's a free Protip: Countdowns are reserved for KOTOR3 announcements or similar.

Granted, I was fully aware it was going to be something a little more lame than that, but I doubt anyone but the most cynical among us anticipated something this bad.. Quite impressive. Hats off to the incompetent ladies and gentlemen at the Bioware marketing dept.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2010, 15:49.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week
9. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 08:01 peteham

I'm not sure what it is, but whenever my friends are playing it, they become super unpleasant, more so than any other game.
Hahaha that sounds awfully familiar. One of my friends turned into such a grinch, and got on my nerves to such an extent during a period of DotA in college, that I basically haven't included him in any of my multiplayer-sessions ever since.. He's a nice guy normally, albeit a bit over-competitive, and man does DotA bring out that trait.... He'd start with the blame-game (or course it was always someone else's fault that his masterful plan failed), and then the silent-treatment on ventrilo to the ridiculous point of refusing to answer even when spoken directly to. But of course neither leaving the game or vent, oh no. Had to stick around to sour the mood and not get penalty points for leaving obviously.

Aaah I'm getting worked up just by reminiscing

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week
5. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 06:17 peteham

The fact that you LOSE gold when you die
While I haven't played LoL and as such can't really comment on it, I keep seeing this particular argument brought up in LoL vs HoN discussions and it always surprises me. I've always found gold-loss to a tremendous tension-builder just like it is/was in DotA. It really dictates your strategy. Should you get a cheaper beginner item or risk going for one of the more high-end ones? It also heavily forces your playing style at various points in the game when you're approaching one of the higher price-points.

Wouldn't want to be without this part of the game, personally. Of course it sucks when you get into that occasional game where you go on an endless dieing-streak and get hopelessly far behind both on levels and items for the remainder of the game, but I don't think the game would be the same without it, really.

That said, I probably should give LoL a try.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2010, 11:23 peteham

Nice! Having played way too much TMNF the past year, though not for quite a while now, I will definitely reinstall and drop by.

A nice thing about the TMNF choice, is that ping is basically a non-issue. The worst that's gonna happen is that other cars will warp and flicker, but since there are no collisions you can just turn off other cars if it gets too bad. Being European, I would not have been able to play an FPS with you guys over in the US, and still have fun..

News Comments > Star Trek Online Season 1 Common Ground Launches
2. Re: Star Trek Online Season 1 Common Ground Launches Mar 26, 2010, 05:36 peteham

Does the game have a holodeck? Only when I can dress up as Dixon Hill and solve murder mysteries with disabled safety-protocols will I buy this game!

I could settle for being able to reenact Beowulf while wearing a fake bearskin and plastic horned viking helmet, as well.

Ah the holodeck. Most creative way of doing completely random filler-episodes for a TV-show ever.

News Comments > Free Game for Silent Hunter V Owners
8. Re: Free Game for Silent Hunter V Owners Mar 25, 2010, 18:56 peteham

So is this method of compensating players with free games more cost effective/profitable than having a single player game not require internet access?
For sure it is, see quote from Sepharo:
Yeah there is tons overlap in SH5 fans and Shaun White/Prince of Persia fans.
With virtually zero overlap, you can probably count the lost sales on one hand and besides, both titles are well into the bargain bin $10-20 range by now anyway. This isn't really costing them anything.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 24, 2010, 05:47 peteham

This is why I still only have the 20GB my Xbox came with... and why I don't buy anything else from Live anymore (cause it's full). MS is losing more money than they make by overpricing the hard drives
Yeah, same here. My 14Gb is getting ridiculously cramped.

I've considered getting a compatible 250Gb WD drive and using HDDHackr. The procedure seems pretty straightforward but there's also a potential shitload of fidgeting required in some cases. There's also no guarantee that MS won't block it in a future FW-update (though it seems unlikely), so I'm not sure I can be bothered.

$129 is almost half an Elite, and since I've been thinking of "upgrading" at some point anyway, I think I'll just wait a few more months and get one, or a Slim since the rumors are likely true. It's probably gonna be something like $299 vs $129 and for that I'll get:
- Brand new Xbox which isn't likely to break down [again] any time now
- Non-expired warranty.
- Old Xbox to give away (assuming it's still alive).
- 120G or 250G harddrive (depending on price.. 120G should suffice really)
- Brand new gamepad
- HDMI, at last!
- Hopefully slightly less noise, heat and power-consumption.
- And last but not least, less feel of having just been skinned alive.

So yeah. The path is clear.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2010, 18:56 peteham

Most gamers have no idea that there's any difference between a publisher and a developer, and why it matters.
Activision is actually the publisher for both Treyarch and Infinity Ward's CoD. I see your point though. Heck, most gamers only follow the name of the game/series itself and are more or less completely oblivious to the developer/publisher and just go by pretty box-art and known franchise-names.

573 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo