Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 571 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September
4. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September Aug 7, 2010, 15:43 peteham

Don't really have a problem with five planned DLC packs as long as the game itself feels like a complete game in its own right. If it's actually good then great, more content for everyone..

Take Borderlands for instance. I didn't really like the game that much so I never got any of the DLC, but some of my friends did and reputedly had a great time playing it. Not all DLC is a cheap money-grab.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
25. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:57 peteham

you can still download the dedicated server client for linux and windows from id software.
Yeah... That's not exactly "at the push of a button" is it? Moreover, the monthly fee essentially includes dedicated server hosting. Do you have any idea how expensive that normally is, for a quality host? Compare this to your link, which basically entails you running the server on your home computer/line.

These are value-added features to FREE game. Nobody's forcing it on you. Newsflash: The game industry isn't a charity organisation aimed at people with an entitlement complex.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 12:16.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Announced
35. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 07:24 peteham

So apparently, I need to learn how to read.. The interview states outright that the MMO is still in the works and that TL2 a stepping stone. Not sure how well that that aligns with their original promise; they're not breaking it but certainly stretching things a bit.. Then again, like Prez, I'm not really a fan of MMOs and would much rather have regular multiplayer/coop anyways, but then, I've always imagined that TL: MMO would be closer to GuildWars than WoW.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
18. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 18:54 peteham

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 11:35:
Anything made exactly like the last game will be awesome.
Yep, though the bossfights could use some improvement. The same goes for detective vision. It was a bit sad to spend 80% of the time in wireframe-mode for such a good looking game. I'm pretty sure Rocksteady's artists share that sentiment.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Announced
23. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 18:13 peteham

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 17:27:
The MMO is supposed to be funded by an item shop and is probably being worked on separately I would imagine. It will hopefully provide a stable revenue stream while they also work on other stuff.
With a spring 2011 release, they don't have much time. I find it strange they'd release an MMO based on TL1 and then release TL2 right on the heels of that; but we'll see I guess...

On that note, it's surprising to see how magnanimous people are for now; compared to how little it usually takes to spark flames and mile-long-posts-of-outrage based on nothing but speculation and conjecture from the usual trolls.. Maybe they're just asleep? Do not fear, I'll get the ball rolling: SCREW YOU VALVE! YOU PROMISED WE'D BE GETTING MORE CONTENT BUT INSTEAD YOU MOVE ON TO A SEQUEL!
May have gotten my wires crossed.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
17. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 17:56 peteham

Frijoles wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 12:14:
I hope they don't use GfWL. Talk about a pain in the fucking ass. Batman:AA ran fine; all my issues were related with GfWL and making it work/update.
Ah, I still remember updating FO3 through GfWL. No indication of size. No indication of time remaining. No indication of speed. I thought the whole thing had stalled because the progress bar wasn't budging and it took quite a while.

Just lovely.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
63. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 3, 2010, 11:05 peteham

Darks wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 11:01:
Nope, thats not glamour its called shit, now you need to go and wash your face.
I will, after you wash your mouth.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
60. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 3, 2010, 10:59 peteham

Darks wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 10:24:
Now you see why this game took over 6 years to make it. All that CGI, what what you guys are paying for.
Oh my, the glamour has been lifted from my eyes....

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 20:20 peteham

Very sorry to hear that, Blue. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.  

News Comments > More on StarCraft II Preorders
39. Re: More on StarCraft II Preorders Jul 26, 2010, 18:05 peteham

Dades wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 15:02:
That's only the singleplayer, you can play all three races in multiplayer. I'm not a huge fan of this approach either but it is what it is.
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll throw in some additional [multiplayer] units and maps or heck, even completely new tilesets in these expansions. With that in mind, it seems likely you will need the expansions to play online (or at least to be able to play with the majority of players). It would surprise me if blizzard simply released all future multiplayer content in the form of free patches.

I don't find that unreasonable at all though. It's really no different from Star Craft getting the BW expansion, except that in this case, the expansions are already announced. In terms of single player, as others have already pointed out, we're getting the same amount of gametime as SC/BW. I honestly don't see why people are so obsessed with not being able to choose factions right away; aside from simply breaking with genre tradition.. Also, I'm pretty sure that if someone were to look at SC1's playerbase, the majority only played through one campaign anyway, with a large bias towards the terran campaign.. That certainly goes for yours truly, though I'm not really a big RTS fan.

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
33. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:51 peteham

Krovven wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:17:
While I applaud Tim for standing up to Kotick...if I was Kotick I would have dropped Brutal Legend too.

Picked the game up for $20 awhile back and just got around to playing it this past weekend. The game sucks. Reminds me a lot of Sacrifice...but not even close to being as good.

So as much as I despise Kotick, he made the right choice dropping Brutal Legend.
If only they hadn't decided to "innovate" by suddenly turning the game into a completely shitty RTS half-way through. Ugh.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Limited Edition?
9. Re: Crysis 2 Limited Edition? Jul 13, 2010, 10:30 peteham

zirik wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 06:59:
[THA] Hamst3r wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 00:33:
I'm pretty sure Crytek knew full-well what kind of shooter they wanted Crysis to be and they made it exactly that.

The blend of sci-fi and "realism" worked out great.

a lot of people say the gameplay suffered once the aliens came into the storyline which is the second half of the first game. on the second game they gave fans more of what they want. less aliens and more koreans. based on that experience i would say the sci-fi part failed. now crytek is testing the aliens concept again on the console crowd. crytek seems to want to make a sci-fi game but they are not good at it.
They improved the aliens massively in Crysis Warhead. Some of the fights were actually pretty great. I'll agree the original game took a dive in the quality-department once the aliens were introduced, however, but at no point was it downright bad (until you had to fly that damn VTOL ;P)

Of course, they once again decided to round off with a boss of mediocrity, but that's pretty much a platform-agnostic gaming convention that goes back to olden times anyway: Before you're rewarded with the end credits after having enjoyed a run through the game, you must suffer through some lame-ass bossfight.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2010, 08:29 peteham

One really wonders what you hope to gain by posting in threads about RPGs telling everyone RPGs suck.
DNFTT

News Comments > Dragon Age II Character Changes
13. Re: Dragon Age 2 Character Changes Jul 8, 2010, 16:34 peteham

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 16:04:
All this means is that Bioware has gone "mainstream" and some other more nimble developer will come up and scratch the hard-core itch. That's just business as usual. It's a good day to be alive if you like action-RPG hybrids. There's no need for doom and gloom.
Yeah, fuck this mainstream shit. Some other consolitis RPGs that didn't feature the "origin story" concept, just off the top of my head:
- Baldur's Gate 1/2
- Fallout 1/2
- Planescape: Torment

Edit: Ok so BG allowed you to pick race.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Character Changes
3. Re: Dragon Age 2 Character Changes Jul 8, 2010, 14:53 peteham

shinchan0s wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 14:33:
Eh, the whole "origins" aspect of the original barely made much of a difference. Probably because they did such a half-assed job of it. The change is weird (I mean, does it really matter?) but I don't mind it at all. I hope they end up making a drastically superior sequel like Mass Effect 2.
I actually thought the origin-stories were pretty well done. It's a given they can't put 50% of the game's design effort around branched parts since only a small percentage of players will ever replay the game and actually see the content, but for me, it was one of the major reasons to actually go back and replay. It's also nice to get a completely different route through those first few levels, which in most RPGs are nothing but tedious rat-slaying.

News Comments > FIFA 11 PC Announced
7. Re: PC versus Console Jul 8, 2010, 14:48 peteham

AnarKane wrote on Jul 8, 2010, 13:03:
Does it come complete with refs that blow the calls every match at least twice?
Hey, it wouldn't be FIFA if you couldn't bribe the referee or some other high-ranking official.

News Comments > On The Old Republic's End Game
25. Re: On The Old Republic's End Game Jul 6, 2010, 06:52 peteham

I'm totally with StingingVelvet here. I really want a single player game, but I have no illusions I'm going to get one. This being an MMO, we'll see some degree of the generic, boring, sterile zero-impact worlds we're used to no matter what. It is unavoidable. It is your destinyyy.

Someone expressed worry that all the "worthwhile" stuff will require 20+ guys, and this is exactly what I expect to happen. It wouldn't be a very good MMORPG if you could do *everything* solo. So I'll most likely stay away from it.

Here's a comic that brilliantly sums up every solo MMORPG quest I've seen to date http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=19

And this nicely sums up "leveling" quests as a whole: http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=22

(I love that comic)

News Comments > StarCraft II to Go 3D Via a Patch
29. Re: StarCraft II to Go 3D Via a Patch Jul 5, 2010, 10:08 peteham

BobBob wrote on Jul 5, 2010, 04:36:
This is the only "3D" even worth looking at. Watch the full demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
Head-tracking is yet another one of those things that sound good in theory but don't really work in practice. It's still your TV-set and livingroom, not the holo-deck. You have extremely limited space to move around, and your TV stays in exactly the same spot. Its utility the way I see it, is basically limited to tech-demos. The 3D effect only asserts itself through movement relative to your head, so yeah, you could use it for simple stuff like that goal-keeper game MS has been using for every Kinect demo, but you couldn't build a real FPS around it. Most of us would have a whopping 2 metres to move forward.

To underline my point, did anyone catch videos of MS demoing Forza and head-tracking? Awesome in theory, right? Turn your head 90 degrees to see the car you're overtaking? But wait, where does your TV go? That's right, nowhere. Aka. a place you can no longer see after turning your head. To combat this of course, they had tweaked the sensitivity. Which just made everything look (and I'm sure *feel*) dumb.

News Comments > MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)?
1. Re: MS Recommitted to PC Gaming (Again)? Jun 21, 2010, 17:10 peteham

Hahah... Fable? A core game? I weep for humanity.  

News Comments > Trine 2 Announced
9. Re: Trine 2 Announced Jun 18, 2010, 18:40 peteham

Wildone wrote on Jun 18, 2010, 14:57:
Trine2: LaTrine
Would that be the French localization?

571 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo