Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 11, 2010, 13:41 peteham

If anyone still needs convincing that motion control is shit, or just for a laugh - since this is bluesnews and I doubt anyone here does need convincing - head on over to GiantBomb and watch their Sonic Free Riders QuickLook http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sonic-free-riders/17-3025/

Then again, I have no doubt it's gonna sell well among the "plebs". Take a look at the current UK sales charts for confirmation. SC2 has fallen from #1, replaced by TOY STORY in all its grandeur. MW trailing close behind as #2, ahead of DANCE ON BROADWAY as #3, before we finally get to SC2 now in 4th place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Financials
17. Re: THQ Financials Aug 10, 2010, 17:26 peteham

Kajetan wrote on Aug 10, 2010, 14:39:
Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2010, 09:47:
I think we're past the point of piracy denial in the PC gaming industry.
Nobody is denying the existence of software piracy. But we still wait for a solid proof that it is bad for business. In this special case, have you any proof at all, that Immortal Throne was no financial success because of piracy? Or is it like the fake story of famous Looking Glass (Thief) going out of business because of piracy, when in fact most of their games sold very well, but they made some bad business descisions.
IIRC, TQ was one of the cases where a lot (not all) of the problems people were "reporting" turned out to be users with a bad crack.

A tangential yet related anectote: There's this Notebook forum I occasionally read. A bunch of users were complaining about Windows 7 taking ages to boot on a particular notebook model, all the while generating 10 pages of "Micro$hit sucks". Other users with the same model are reporting no issues. Then, a brave user who has the problem fesses up to having a pirated version, which turns out to be the common denominator for everyone with said issue. Thread closed

Someone in another thread some time back posted about UBI seeing significant profit gains after deploying the most draconian DRM ever. That's a clear indication of what everyone knows: The users who are aware, who care, who boycott, are dwarfed in numbers by the muppets who will download anything they can from public trackers because it's easy, accessible, virtually risk-free. Why buy games when you can play them and save that money for hardware or beer? Most people won't even consider it stealing. "They're not losing anything. It's not as if it's physical property and I wasn't gonna buy it anyway!".

Consider that along with yet another thread from the past week or so, about estimated PC install base derived from GPU sales. Now, even accounting for GPUs sold to businesses, GPUs sold for SLI setups, or GPUs sold but simply not used for gaming, that should still leave the PC as the biggest platform. So why do console sales still outstrip PC by a margin that's clearly significant enough to have transformed PC from the being the leading platform, into a mere afterthought, in about 4-5 years?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Date Aug 10, 2010, 06:25 peteham

Hoop wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 20:54:
Could I please take this opportunity to disclose my birthday this year .... 10/10/10!!!!!!!!....doo doo doo doo......doo doo doo doo.

Please tell me in binary 101010 means great one or great big one.
Afraid not. But interestingly enough, it's actually '42' in decimal, which we all know to be the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything (ref. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

News Comments > Dragon Age II Camera and Tool Changes
16. Re: Dragon Age II Camera and Tool Changes Aug 9, 2010, 11:51 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 11:08:
To be honest, the camera is the least of my worries. The tactical camera in Dragon Age was fairly crappy, and I never used it, precisely for that invisible boundary issue. I just played with the normal 3d camera, which worked just fine.

It's all the other "streamlining" that they're doing that's got me worried.
Also, with the range or archers/mages in the game being one whole screen or so, you'd get blasted while admiring the floor-tiles if you ever decided to use top-down while exploring.

You're right about the streamlining. The worst of it has to be the introduction of the ME2 conversation-wheel. I enjoyed ME2 immensely, but I absolutely despise that system. The only thing worse is Fallout 3's actual dialogue Cringe-worthy.

9. Re: Dragon Age II Camera and Tool Changes Aug 9, 2010, 10:41 peteham

nin wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 10:33:
I mean, this is the same outfit that neutered Mass Effect 2

I never made it very far in that one...between the planet scanning and having to gas up the van, I lost interest. And that stupid "not being able to remove your helm" from certain armors was just lazy on their part, and tells me that don't really give a fuck what their customers say.
I completely agree about the scanning, having to tank up the ship and helmets being ON 24/7 (basically rendering pre-order armors useless for me).

But when people talk about ME2 being dumbed-down, they're usually referring to the lack of inventory management. But for Mass Effect, this was honestly a vast improvement as the loot in ME1 was infinitely pointless to begin with. Once you dinged prerequisite level X, the enemy-levels would of course follow, and so would the item drops. It was so incredibly noticeable because of the fairly high drop rates. Once you got Avenger VI (or whatever the rifles were called, it's been a while), you would then filter your Avenger Vs down to other squad members until you had enough Avenger VI to outfit everyone. But then you'd ding a new 5th or 10th level and start seeing Avenger VIIs instead! Rinse repeat. There wasn't anywhere near enough stat diversity to allow for different "builds". All you did was cycle through leveled loot.

All ME2 did was remove the infinite chore that was. And they absorbed the weapon mod/ammo type system into class-skills instead.

5. Re: Dragon Age II Camera and Tool Changes Aug 9, 2010, 10:32 peteham

Missing tools aside, the camera really could use some improvement. The way the top-down camera worked drove me insane at times. The way it was sort of "anchored" to your currently selected char so that even though you were top down, you would suddenly hit an invisible wall when scrolling. Particularly noticeable during the larger bossfights where your party could be very spread out. Archdemon was terrible for this reason. The fight was more annoying than challenging or fun to begin with, but the camera provided that extra nail in the coffin.

Then again, I'm hard pressed to think of a many final bossfight I've actually enjoyed in the history of gaming, aside from the Transcendent One - for obvious reasons There seems to be this unwritten rule of gaming that the final boss of a game must take everything that was good about the game and take a dump on it. Which the player must then endure to prove worthy of the ending.

So many bossfights I've suffered through over the years. Ugh.

News Comments > On Valve's DotA Game
9. Re: On Valves' DotA Game Aug 7, 2010, 19:22 peteham

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2010, 19:05:
There already was a sort of cyberpunk Diablo clone. It was called Restricted Area, and it sucked hard. I think it was more fighting mutants than robots, though.
Oh, and then there was HGL

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September
4. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September Aug 7, 2010, 15:43 peteham

Don't really have a problem with five planned DLC packs as long as the game itself feels like a complete game in its own right. If it's actually good then great, more content for everyone..

Take Borderlands for instance. I didn't really like the game that much so I never got any of the DLC, but some of my friends did and reputedly had a great time playing it. Not all DLC is a cheap money-grab.

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions
25. Re: QUAKE LIVE Premium Subscriptions Aug 7, 2010, 11:57 peteham

you can still download the dedicated server client for linux and windows from id software.
Yeah... That's not exactly "at the push of a button" is it? Moreover, the monthly fee essentially includes dedicated server hosting. Do you have any idea how expensive that normally is, for a quality host? Compare this to your link, which basically entails you running the server on your home computer/line.

These are value-added features to FREE game. Nobody's forcing it on you. Newsflash: The game industry isn't a charity organisation aimed at people with an entitlement complex.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 12:16.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Announced
35. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 6, 2010, 07:24 peteham

So apparently, I need to learn how to read.. The interview states outright that the MMO is still in the works and that TL2 a stepping stone. Not sure how well that that aligns with their original promise; they're not breaking it but certainly stretching things a bit.. Then again, like Prez, I'm not really a fan of MMOs and would much rather have regular multiplayer/coop anyways, but then, I've always imagined that TL: MMO would be closer to GuildWars than WoW.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
18. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 18:54 peteham

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 11:35:
Anything made exactly like the last game will be awesome.
Yep, though the bossfights could use some improvement. The same goes for detective vision. It was a bit sad to spend 80% of the time in wireframe-mode for such a good looking game. I'm pretty sure Rocksteady's artists share that sentiment.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Announced
23. Re: Torchlight 2 Announced Aug 5, 2010, 18:13 peteham

Verno wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 17:27:
The MMO is supposed to be funded by an item shop and is probably being worked on separately I would imagine. It will hopefully provide a stable revenue stream while they also work on other stuff.
With a spring 2011 release, they don't have much time. I find it strange they'd release an MMO based on TL1 and then release TL2 right on the heels of that; but we'll see I guess...

On that note, it's surprising to see how magnanimous people are for now; compared to how little it usually takes to spark flames and mile-long-posts-of-outrage based on nothing but speculation and conjecture from the usual trolls.. Maybe they're just asleep? Do not fear, I'll get the ball rolling: SCREW YOU VALVE! YOU PROMISED WE'D BE GETTING MORE CONTENT BUT INSTEAD YOU MOVE ON TO A SEQUEL!
May have gotten my wires crossed.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Announced
17. Re: Batman: Arkham City Announced Aug 5, 2010, 17:56 peteham

Frijoles wrote on Aug 5, 2010, 12:14:
I hope they don't use GfWL. Talk about a pain in the fucking ass. Batman:AA ran fine; all my issues were related with GfWL and making it work/update.
Ah, I still remember updating FO3 through GfWL. No indication of size. No indication of time remaining. No indication of speed. I thought the whole thing had stalled because the progress bar wasn't budging and it took quite a while.

Just lovely.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
63. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 3, 2010, 11:05 peteham

Darks wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 11:01:
Nope, thats not glamour its called shit, now you need to go and wash your face.
I will, after you wash your mouth.

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
60. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 3, 2010, 10:59 peteham

Darks wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 10:24:
Now you see why this game took over 6 years to make it. All that CGI, what what you guys are paying for.
Oh my, the glamour has been lifted from my eyes....

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 20:20 peteham

Very sorry to hear that, Blue. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.  

News Comments > More on StarCraft II Preorders
39. Re: More on StarCraft II Preorders Jul 26, 2010, 18:05 peteham

Dades wrote on Jul 26, 2010, 15:02:
That's only the singleplayer, you can play all three races in multiplayer. I'm not a huge fan of this approach either but it is what it is.
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll throw in some additional [multiplayer] units and maps or heck, even completely new tilesets in these expansions. With that in mind, it seems likely you will need the expansions to play online (or at least to be able to play with the majority of players). It would surprise me if blizzard simply released all future multiplayer content in the form of free patches.

I don't find that unreasonable at all though. It's really no different from Star Craft getting the BW expansion, except that in this case, the expansions are already announced. In terms of single player, as others have already pointed out, we're getting the same amount of gametime as SC/BW. I honestly don't see why people are so obsessed with not being able to choose factions right away; aside from simply breaking with genre tradition.. Also, I'm pretty sure that if someone were to look at SC1's playerbase, the majority only played through one campaign anyway, with a large bias towards the terran campaign.. That certainly goes for yours truly, though I'm not really a big RTS fan.

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
33. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 17:51 peteham

Krovven wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 16:17:
While I applaud Tim for standing up to Kotick...if I was Kotick I would have dropped Brutal Legend too.

Picked the game up for $20 awhile back and just got around to playing it this past weekend. The game sucks. Reminds me a lot of Sacrifice...but not even close to being as good.

So as much as I despise Kotick, he made the right choice dropping Brutal Legend.
If only they hadn't decided to "innovate" by suddenly turning the game into a completely shitty RTS half-way through. Ugh.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Limited Edition?
9. Re: Crysis 2 Limited Edition? Jul 13, 2010, 10:30 peteham

zirik wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 06:59:
[THA] Hamst3r wrote on Jul 13, 2010, 00:33:
I'm pretty sure Crytek knew full-well what kind of shooter they wanted Crysis to be and they made it exactly that.

The blend of sci-fi and "realism" worked out great.

a lot of people say the gameplay suffered once the aliens came into the storyline which is the second half of the first game. on the second game they gave fans more of what they want. less aliens and more koreans. based on that experience i would say the sci-fi part failed. now crytek is testing the aliens concept again on the console crowd. crytek seems to want to make a sci-fi game but they are not good at it.
They improved the aliens massively in Crysis Warhead. Some of the fights were actually pretty great. I'll agree the original game took a dive in the quality-department once the aliens were introduced, however, but at no point was it downright bad (until you had to fly that damn VTOL ;P)

Of course, they once again decided to round off with a boss of mediocrity, but that's pretty much a platform-agnostic gaming convention that goes back to olden times anyway: Before you're rewarded with the end credits after having enjoyed a run through the game, you must suffer through some lame-ass bossfight.

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed Jul 12, 2010, 08:29 peteham

One really wonders what you hope to gain by posting in threads about RPGs telling everyone RPGs suck.
DNFTT

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo