Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Darksiders
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Darksiders Sep 24, 2010, 04:48 peteham

This is a fine game, if you like the genre. I already played through it on console ages ago though, so I doubt I'll get the PC version. The Steam asking-price also seems a bit stiff to me, at €49.99 for a game that's been console bargain-bin material for at least 6 months. Even though you probably get the usual sharper textures and none of the framerate-issues that were an annoyance in the console version. The controls also felt needlessly clunky at times, but nothing remotely game-breaking.

Oh, and without spoiling too much, the ending is rather bad-ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
16. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Sep 23, 2010, 04:56 peteham

There's also a 45min interview with Ken Levine over at http://www.giantbomb.com/we-talk-to-ken-levine-about-bioshock-infinite/17-3261/ .. It was interesting enough that I sat through the whole thing yesterday. Especially the stuff he says about multiplayer calls for celebration  

News Comments > Steam Bestsellers
23. Re: Steam Bestsellers Sep 13, 2010, 07:00 peteham

Cram wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 03:54:
Shalebridge Cradle was special though, it just came out of no where and when I reached that level it happened to be 2am in the morning the night before Halloween. My disgust over not being able to get Thief 3 to run on Windows 7 just for the level is strong.
Seconded, and thirded. Shalebridge Cradle is, to this day, one of the scariest sections of any videogame I've ever played. I had sort of the same context as you when playing it, minus the Halloween-part. Late in the evening during winter, completely dark outside and rather chilly inside. A sort of seasonal force-feedback if you will

Buying Amnesia when I get home from work today, but think I'll save it up for when it's properly dark outside again. It's a free atmosphere-boost for games like this.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free
19. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 08:30 peteham

Esoteric wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 05:58:
It is story-driven, and/but you do have to read the quest text to appreciate it. There is a tutorial zone that you'll be in until 6-7, so keep that in mind.
How will this be compared to, say, WoW? Will I be able to bring a few friends and go on a co-op romp through middle-earth without grinding, while seeing new places/enemies at a steady clip? And is the story actually any good (i.e. do you feel like you're doing something of importance rather than being a delivery boy)? I don't mind if the story is entirely in textual form as long as it's well-written and cohesive, but if I risk spending the majority of my time fetching wolf-pelts, grinding for gold, or fighting level 5 turtles, level 15 turtles, level 50 turtles, level 80 turtles..... Eeeh. I'll pass

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Complete?
56. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Complete? Sep 2, 2010, 19:31 peteham

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 19:29:
I'll believe it when I see it. And by "seeing it", I mean something a bit more substantial than an ephemeral reference to a line in a 7 year-old interview that amounts to nothing more than a cute picture of winged piglets.
Heh yeah. How many times has it been that some PC mag has seen a preview and predicted the game's completion within a year already?

Like you, I'll believe it when I see it.

News Comments > StarCraft II Sells 3M
11. Re: StarCraft II Sells 3M Sep 1, 2010, 12:42 peteham

Nomaar wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 11:39:
I'm not a rts guy, but this game really has me curious. Would someone who usually doesn't like rts games have any hope of getting enjoyment out of this game?
I normally don't play RTS, but I played through SC2 and enjoyed it. The story may be short, but there's still a good bit of nice dialogue. Also, the missions are fairly varied - instead of the usual "build your base in a corner and crush the enemy whose base covers the entire map" ad nauseum (though there is a bit of that too).

All in all, I've been having a fun time with it. Custom games and skirmishes with friends is also lots of fun. The ladder isn't for me, though

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 12:35 peteham

Verno wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 07:13:
Err, thats the point of the whole controller. You twist the outer layer of the dpad to make it into the older style people are used to and you can turn it back for the few people who like the newer one.
Well yeah, but the cross is still in one piece, whereas the dualshock essentially has separate buttons (even though there's one piece underneath). Though it could be that the new pad has better "pressure zones" (for lack of a better word) as well. In this case even the default/old look will work better than the default wobbly imprecise mess of a dpad. I assumed the change was just cosmetic, though.

But yeah, I like the 360 gamepad better as a whole than the dualshock. Just the dpad, please.

News Comments > On Diablo III Crafting
17. Re: WoOtage! Sep 1, 2010, 07:55 peteham

I liked selling stuff with my dog and not having to return to town.
Even better would be not needing the dog at all though. Why can't the game just drop money directly instead of showering me with crappy items that have no other purpose than vendoring?

In Diablo 2, the craploot-shower was tolerable mainly because you could ignore 99% of it. Money had no use and if you happened to need some for repair or random gambling-sessions, you could max your carrying capacity in a matter of minutes, on Hell difficulty. If the whole break-down-for-mats-thing in D3 forces me to pick up everything and break it down, and loot comes in Torchlight quantities, I'm not exactly going to dance with joy. I can also see this leading to farming. Not farming as in boss-runs; farming as in farming. Ugh.

I have some not-so-fond memories of the Baldur's Gate games due to the time I spent wasted shuffling long-swords and other junk between party member to maximize the amount of loot I could bring back home with me and vendor

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 06:52 peteham

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 20:26:
$65 for the controller with the Play&Charge kit (which is $20 on its own for... a battery); it's not being offered independently.
Not that terrible assuming you're in the market for both items. Personally I'm not that interested until they make a D-PAD that doesn't suck. The current 360 design is so horribly inaccurate that the only thing it's usable for is weapon-swapping, where it doesn't matter if you end up with a diagonal 40% of the time when all you really wanted was to go left..

Just steal Sony's dualshock-design already. Buy the requisite patents if you have to

News Comments > Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October
24. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 06:07 peteham

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:57:
You fight the same 3 enemies literally the entire game.

The ending was one of the most anticlimatic I remember since Syndicate.

GOTY...not close.
Have to agree there. I never really got into this game. The first ten levels were good, but from there, the gameplay didn't seem great to me. Just an infinite supply of various bruisers, with health-bars that had to be burned away MMO-style. None of the enemies did anything interesting to require true co-op play (like L4D with its special infected), so aside from taking longer to burn away health-bars, there wasn't really any real reason to stay with the group or actually do things together.. The bosses were also tremendously boring; basically giant bullet-sponges. The vault creature wins the prize of most anticlimactic ending/fight ever, with me standing absolutely still behind some object, pumping bullets. A paperweight could've won that fight... The difficulty-curve as a whole was really not that great. Not that there weren't moments, but in general, things just felt incredibly easy unless you kept your level down on purpose. And co-op games need to be significantly harder than singleplayer to be fun, IMO. After the 2nd playthrough, when at the 50 level cap, we tried restarting again to see how things would be, and it was even worse. The bullet-sponge factor was now over nine thousand - what with all enemies being level 50-52 and all... The vehicle combat was beyond terrible as well.

In fairness, I probably went in with expectations set too high, but I'd been following this game since before anyone knew what it actually was going to be (including Gearbox themselves, I suspect). Though with the difficulty being what it was, at least you had plenty of time to joke around. For that reason, I feel this would've better had I bought it on console and played it as a relaxing Friday night split-screen coop with beer & friends..

Disclaimer: I haven't played any of the DLC, so some of my complaints may have been remedied there, but I don't particularly feel like trying it after snoozing through the original content..

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Interview
11. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 05:18 peteham

Kajetan wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 03:36:
But now, they aim for the big money and are dumbing down the combat system for consoles and controllers and people, who don't want to think, when they are playing.
What are you on about? The combat system was one of the game's weakest points to begin with. You had a minimal amount of skills, and it mainly consisted of picking the right type of sword and the right form.

Or "later" on, with maxed Igni: Just nuke everyone in front of you with the click of a button. Kind of ironic given that it was accompanied by a spell-effect that resembled someone blowing dying embers through a straw...

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 31, 2010, 05:05 peteham

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 21:30:
PSN is a piece of hoary shit but at least Sony was smart enough not to charge for it.
Well, PSN+ kind'a shows they're kicking themselves over that call, and are working to save some scraps.

As for the value-added justification: I'm going to bet pounds to pennies that the majority of XBL users like me only pay to be able to play online. MS also just love to insinuate that Netflix is somehow part of the deal, but it's what, around $10 a month extra? Not that we get Netflix over here anyway, but at least I'm not in one of the affected territories (for now). Not that the actual price-hike would've meant anything for my resubbing anyway. $50 or $60, over a whole year is still an amount of money that's beyond trivial to just about anyone. Even though it's a slightly annoying expense, it's easily worth it to me, if only to play the occasional game of firefight with some of my console-only friends. Given my recent activity I probably could've gotten away with only keeping gold for 1-2 months per year, but again, the amount of money to just go ahead and get the full 12 months leaves me unable to bother

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Gamescom Trailer
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Gamescom Trailer Aug 27, 2010, 15:48 peteham

This actually looks surprisingly decent, though the framerate seems highly variable in places. I'm gonna place my bets for 8/10 reviews across the board. As someone who enjoyed even AC1, that'll be more than enough for me.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 17, 2010, 14:56 peteham

It isn't quite the extravaganza that last year was but here is what the industry has in the pipe for this year (and thats ignoring the sheer awesomeness that was Q1-2 2010) - Mafia II, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Joe Danger(PC/360), RUSE, Halo: Reach, NHL2011, Two Worlds II and I'm sure there is more I am forgetting.
Heh you're actually right. Going through remaining titles, there are quite a few titles worthy of keeping a lazy eye on; just not in November. February appears to be the new November, judging by 2010 and 2011's respective lineups at least. As for 2010, Brotherhood and New Vegas are two games I'll definitely watch with interest, but I'm going to need some reviews/word of mouth before I grab either one. There's also a small selection of games in the "just a blip on the radar at this point"-category: Force Unleashed 2, Max Payne, GT5.

Leaving this year's remaining preorder items for me: Reach (there goes whatever shred of street-cred I may have had around here, right?), Mafia 2 and Lords of Shadow.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Kinect Football Aug 17, 2010, 12:40 peteham

Cram wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:28:
Poor excuse for dancing simulators, poor excuse for exercise/workout simulators. Pointless jumping and flailing (heavily) your arms around rafting games, and now Football shovel-ware. I'd hate to live in an basement suite/apartment/condo complex and have anyone above me own a Kinect. Seriously, I'd lose my shit.
Couldn't agree more. I studied the up&coming games lineup for winter 2010 the other day.. Aaand... There's almost nothing there Usually, we get a veritable broad-side of AAA titles during november. This year? Nothing but Kinectimals & friends (and CoD which doesn't count)...

Cram wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 12:28:
XBox Blu-Ray: I wonder how close 360 sales would have been to the Wii, as of this day, had the 360 supported BluRay from the beginning.
Personally, I think the 360 owes much of its success to the simple fact that it was considerably cheaper than the PS3 for a long, long time. PlayStation was an immensely strong brand-name. An example of this is that I have some casual gamer-friends who up until recently thought "console" and "playstation" were the same thing. Rolleyes But, with the initial price tag they had to put on it in large part because of the Bluray-player, the price wasn't exactly inviting to the majority of the market. So I don't think the 360 would've been more successful with BluRay. Quite the opposite.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2010, 12:51.

News Comments > StarCraft II Free Name Change Coming
11. Re: StarCraft II Free Name Change Coming Aug 17, 2010, 05:40 peteham

Agrikaan wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 02:34:
I would prefer to be able to change my REAL NAME that I was honest enough to enter into me BattleNet account. Not knowing they would SHOW IT TO EVERYONE - with no way of hiding it.

No one but me should decide, who, if and when I tell someone who I am in the real world.
Who's forcing you? You don't _have_ to use RealID unless you want to. Even assuming you typed your real name into your b.net profile, you can still add plain old character friends, that work just the way they always have, and don't get to see your name nor your entire friends-list. This is the only type of friend I've added thus far, personally, with just one or two exceptions just to test the difference with some IRL friends..

DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 17, 2010, 01:43:
Im assuming that you create a login/password account to log into battle.net and the login name becomes your in-game "screen name" or alias. It probably makes sense to restrict the creation of multiple login/password accounts. It makes absolutely no sense in restricting or changing your alias or scree name shown "in-game". You should be able to do that, on the fly, for free, for each and every game you play if you feel the need. So if a person wants to be "Superman" one game and "Batman" the very next game they can do that with a /alias = "new nick" command of sorts. That should be absolutely FREE! If someone wants to change their login/account they could allow that for free also, just don't allow multiple logins under one product key. Implementing an "alias" command would, as far as I can see, eliminate the need for changing the name of login/password account names all together. Of course if they implemented my idea, they couldn't nickel and dime people's asses off so, my idea probably isn't gonna happen.
Nope. Your login-name is completely separate from your screen-name. As for playing one game as Superman and the other one as Batman, why do you really need to? Fakenicking is, has been and will always be a bad thing whether it's for the purpose of griefing, getting a clean slate after earning a deservedly bad community-reputation, or just pretending to be someone you're not for the sake of pwning some n00bz etc The price-tag on nick-changes is a deterrent, to keep people from using it.

As for not being able to create multiple accounts; Warcraft 3's ladder/matchmaking was greatly compromised by experienced players continuously rolling new accounts to improve their records and to once in a while steamroll less skilled players. The whole idea that the ladder will eventually reach a point of equilibrium where you'll always meet players of about equal skill, just doesn't work in a world where everyone and their mom just keeps on creating new accounts every time their loss percentage gets a bit too high..

I'm sorry, but I'm completely unable to get worked up over this.

News Comments > Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory Source Code
17. Re: Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory Source Code Aug 13, 2010, 09:22 peteham

kxmode wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 22:04:
Is ActionScript 2 like C++?
This reminds me of an old gem. "Shooting yourself in the foot in any language." It can be found in many, many places across teh web, in just as many versions. I'm about to include an abbreviated version of this..

The proliferation of modern programming languages (all of which seem to have stolen countless features from one another) sometimes makes it difficult to remember what language you’re currently using. This guide is offered as a public service to help programmers who find themselves in such dilemmas.

C: You shoot yourself in the foot.
C++: You accidentally create a dozen clones of yourself and shoot them all in the foot. Providing emergency medical assistance is impossible since you can’t tell which are bitwise copies and which are just pointing at others and saying, “That’s me, over there.”
JAVA: After importing java.awt.right.foot.* and java.awt.gun.right.hand.*, and writing the classes and methods of those classes needed, you’ve forgotten what the hell you’re doing.
PHP: You shoot yourself in the foot with a gun made with pieces from 300 other guns.
Perl: You shoot yourself in the foot, but nobody can understand how you did it. Six months later, neither can you.
COBOL: Using a COLT 45 HANDGUN, AIM gun at LEG.FOOT, THEN place ARM.HAND.FINGER. on HANDGUN.TRIGGER and SQUEEZE. THEN return HANDGUN to HOLSTER. CHECK whether shoelace needs to be retied.
Visual Basic: You’ll shoot yourself in the foot, but you’ll have so much fun doing it that you won’t care.

By the way, I've never understood the one about Visual Basic. I've had to briefly touch some legacy VB code from time to time, and it certainly wasn't fun in any way, shape or form

News Comments > Blizzard's PC Stance
44. Re: Blizzard's PC Stance Aug 13, 2010, 05:12 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2010, 01:28:
Look, I understand and can even respect your position. Games should be far more optimized than they are and some programmers can do amazing things with few resources. However, the fact remains that more powerful hardware increases the potential for better presentations and bigger games.
Indeed. You simply have to compare the first games of this console-generation with the latest ones to see what better optimization (or should I say utilization?) can do, but the same amount of optimization effort on better hardware would - as Jerykk points out - give even better results; so...

At some point, obsessive profiling and optimization simply becomes prohibitively expensive, and it's just easier cheaper and, frankly, better, to throw more resources and computing power at the problem and just solve the damn integral rather than trying to discover some hack or approximation that produces acceptable results.

Don't get me wrong, I think the stuff some enthusiasts have done on the C64 (for example) in in later years is amazing, probably going far beyond what the hardware creators thought possible; but they're still not running Crysis.. Moreover, most of their tricks/hacks have no application outside the C64 scene.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Revealed
17. Re: BioShock: Infinite Revealed Aug 12, 2010, 15:18 peteham

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 15:11:
They did! And then they want back in time to continue raping the franchise!
Hahah that reminds me of that Indiana Jones South Park episode.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Revealed
12. Re: BioShock: Infinite Revealed Aug 12, 2010, 14:57 peteham

That actually looked kind'a cool, CGI or no. I love original settings, and that certainly qualifies, no question.

Just no more turrets/hacking minigames dammit Protest

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo