Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 567 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Intro
6. Re: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Intro Oct 18, 2010, 11:59 peteham

Blizzard's cinematics guys sure know their stuff. Holy crap.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Oct 16, 2010, 07:09 peteham

Aaah, if this had only been a single-player game. Love these holo-entries.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2010, 08:24.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2010, 16:58 peteham

This reminds me of that old urban legend of people eating an average of four spiders in their sleep during their lifetime. Since many of us, yours truly included, live in cold places more or less devoid of spiders, is it safe to assume that Blue & his neighbours will be racking up eight kills at least?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2010, 11:23 peteham

Good to see that poxy leech Tim Langdell getting what he deserves. Probably shouldn't have gone after that big tasty EA-fish with its army of lawyers, eh?  

News Comments > On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment
46. Re: On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment Sep 24, 2010, 17:49 peteham

Umbragen wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 17:34:
I remember their past PC gaming efforts: like that "too advanced for anything but Vista" Masterpiece - Alan Wake. Call me skeptical.
If we're delving into bogus Vista-exclusives, Halo 2 is an even better example. A 2004 XBOX game released on PC in 2007, in a world full of HL2 and Farcry, just so happened to *NEED* Vista's superior features! That is until a fan, with no access to the source-code, released a binary patch allowing XP play within a month or two. Oops. Redface

News Comments > On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment
15. Re: On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment Sep 24, 2010, 11:22 peteham

Freelancer 2 and everything is forgiven! Hug
(assuming it's actually good)

And well. Not *everything*

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Interview
2. Re: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Interview Sep 24, 2010, 06:06 peteham

and reminds me of how much I loved the time period where the game took place.
Not to mention Jesper Kyd's amazing soundtrack (that goes for AC1 as well), which along with the art-direction creates fantastic atmosphere for the game. After the AC2-ending, though, I'll just pretend like the "main" story arch doesn't exist anymore. Up next: Time-travel.

Also, seems as if they've revamped the combat system somewhat, to something that based on the description sounds a bit like Arkham Asylum.. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

And the multiplayer. Since it's rant-about-multiplayer-week for me, let me take this opportunity to complain about yet another game with pointless multiplayer support. What I've seen in trailers so far could be fun for an hour or two max, but in the end, it's never going to replace BF, TF2, CoD, Quake, Halo or whatever as everyone's goto-game for MP, and a few months after release, finding a game will be practically impossible I'll personally throw this in with Dark Messiah in terms of mainstream- and long-lasting appeal, as well as competitive potential...

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2010, 06:25.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Interview
2. Re: BioShock Infinite Interview Sep 24, 2010, 05:48 peteham

I'm not overly worried about the scripted nature of the trailer. That's usually how it goes with trailers these days, especially early ones. Heck, does anyone remember HL2? When the source was stolen, it was soon discovered that the trailer was pretty much scripted from A-Z. Enemy AI? Scripted. Combine kicking that door open? Scripted. The door would supposedly kick itself open if you shot the combine trooper before he could get to it, IIRC.
Then again, these days we get some cinematic mess that only vaguely resembles the actual game, whereas that HL2 trailer - while perhaps being cheating/unimplemented features at the time, was at least representative of the final product.

At least he/they seem to have the right idea about MP. Studios can say what they want about "oh, but the MP was designed by a _separate_ team so it didn't affect SP!" etc. No matter how they spin it, it's still a significant amount of development resources allocated to something that only a tiny handful of people are gonna be around for a month post release. Globally. Aside from the extra bullet point on the box, it's just wasted effort that could've been spent making SP better; something that would've been enjoyed by a much greater number of customers.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2010, 06:13.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Molyneux demands Half-Life 3 NOW Sep 24, 2010, 05:36 peteham

Ah, Blue, how I wish you hadn't specified the correct Molyneux right behind the link. It would've been interesting to see if anyone would've jumped on the Peter Molyneux hate-train without actually reading the article first  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Darksiders
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Darksiders Sep 24, 2010, 04:48 peteham

This is a fine game, if you like the genre. I already played through it on console ages ago though, so I doubt I'll get the PC version. The Steam asking-price also seems a bit stiff to me, at 49.99 for a game that's been console bargain-bin material for at least 6 months. Even though you probably get the usual sharper textures and none of the framerate-issues that were an annoyance in the console version. The controls also felt needlessly clunky at times, but nothing remotely game-breaking.

Oh, and without spoiling too much, the ending is rather bad-ass.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
16. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Sep 23, 2010, 04:56 peteham

There's also a 45min interview with Ken Levine over at http://www.giantbomb.com/we-talk-to-ken-levine-about-bioshock-infinite/17-3261/ .. It was interesting enough that I sat through the whole thing yesterday. Especially the stuff he says about multiplayer calls for celebration  

News Comments > Steam Bestsellers
23. Re: Steam Bestsellers Sep 13, 2010, 07:00 peteham

Cram wrote on Sep 13, 2010, 03:54:
Shalebridge Cradle was special though, it just came out of no where and when I reached that level it happened to be 2am in the morning the night before Halloween. My disgust over not being able to get Thief 3 to run on Windows 7 just for the level is strong.
Seconded, and thirded. Shalebridge Cradle is, to this day, one of the scariest sections of any videogame I've ever played. I had sort of the same context as you when playing it, minus the Halloween-part. Late in the evening during winter, completely dark outside and rather chilly inside. A sort of seasonal force-feedback if you will

Buying Amnesia when I get home from work today, but think I'll save it up for when it's properly dark outside again. It's a free atmosphere-boost for games like this.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free
19. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Goes Free Sep 11, 2010, 08:30 peteham

Esoteric wrote on Sep 11, 2010, 05:58:
It is story-driven, and/but you do have to read the quest text to appreciate it. There is a tutorial zone that you'll be in until 6-7, so keep that in mind.
How will this be compared to, say, WoW? Will I be able to bring a few friends and go on a co-op romp through middle-earth without grinding, while seeing new places/enemies at a steady clip? And is the story actually any good (i.e. do you feel like you're doing something of importance rather than being a delivery boy)? I don't mind if the story is entirely in textual form as long as it's well-written and cohesive, but if I risk spending the majority of my time fetching wolf-pelts, grinding for gold, or fighting level 5 turtles, level 15 turtles, level 50 turtles, level 80 turtles..... Eeeh. I'll pass

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Complete?
56. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Complete? Sep 2, 2010, 19:31 peteham

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2010, 19:29:
I'll believe it when I see it. And by "seeing it", I mean something a bit more substantial than an ephemeral reference to a line in a 7 year-old interview that amounts to nothing more than a cute picture of winged piglets.
Heh yeah. How many times has it been that some PC mag has seen a preview and predicted the game's completion within a year already?

Like you, I'll believe it when I see it.

News Comments > StarCraft II Sells 3M
11. Re: StarCraft II Sells 3M Sep 1, 2010, 12:42 peteham

Nomaar wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 11:39:
I'm not a rts guy, but this game really has me curious. Would someone who usually doesn't like rts games have any hope of getting enjoyment out of this game?
I normally don't play RTS, but I played through SC2 and enjoyed it. The story may be short, but there's still a good bit of nice dialogue. Also, the missions are fairly varied - instead of the usual "build your base in a corner and crush the enemy whose base covers the entire map" ad nauseum (though there is a bit of that too).

All in all, I've been having a fun time with it. Custom games and skirmishes with friends is also lots of fun. The ladder isn't for me, though

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 12:35 peteham

Verno wrote on Sep 1, 2010, 07:13:
Err, thats the point of the whole controller. You twist the outer layer of the dpad to make it into the older style people are used to and you can turn it back for the few people who like the newer one.
Well yeah, but the cross is still in one piece, whereas the dualshock essentially has separate buttons (even though there's one piece underneath). Though it could be that the new pad has better "pressure zones" (for lack of a better word) as well. In this case even the default/old look will work better than the default wobbly imprecise mess of a dpad. I assumed the change was just cosmetic, though.

But yeah, I like the 360 gamepad better as a whole than the dualshock. Just the dpad, please.

News Comments > On Diablo III Crafting
17. Re: WoOtage! Sep 1, 2010, 07:55 peteham

I liked selling stuff with my dog and not having to return to town.
Even better would be not needing the dog at all though. Why can't the game just drop money directly instead of showering me with crappy items that have no other purpose than vendoring?

In Diablo 2, the craploot-shower was tolerable mainly because you could ignore 99% of it. Money had no use and if you happened to need some for repair or random gambling-sessions, you could max your carrying capacity in a matter of minutes, on Hell difficulty. If the whole break-down-for-mats-thing in D3 forces me to pick up everything and break it down, and loot comes in Torchlight quantities, I'm not exactly going to dance with joy. I can also see this leading to farming. Not farming as in boss-runs; farming as in farming. Ugh.

I have some not-so-fond memories of the Baldur's Gate games due to the time I spent wasted shuffling long-swords and other junk between party member to maximize the amount of loot I could bring back home with me and vendor

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 1, 2010, 06:52 peteham

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 20:26:
$65 for the controller with the Play&Charge kit (which is $20 on its own for... a battery); it's not being offered independently.
Not that terrible assuming you're in the market for both items. Personally I'm not that interested until they make a D-PAD that doesn't suck. The current 360 design is so horribly inaccurate that the only thing it's usable for is weapon-swapping, where it doesn't matter if you end up with a diagonal 40% of the time when all you really wanted was to go left..

Just steal Sony's dualshock-design already. Buy the requisite patents if you have to

News Comments > Borderlands: GOTY Edition in October
24. Re: Overrated... Aug 31, 2010, 06:07 peteham

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 30, 2010, 20:57:
You fight the same 3 enemies literally the entire game.

The ending was one of the most anticlimatic I remember since Syndicate.

GOTY...not close.
Have to agree there. I never really got into this game. The first ten levels were good, but from there, the gameplay didn't seem great to me. Just an infinite supply of various bruisers, with health-bars that had to be burned away MMO-style. None of the enemies did anything interesting to require true co-op play (like L4D with its special infected), so aside from taking longer to burn away health-bars, there wasn't really any real reason to stay with the group or actually do things together.. The bosses were also tremendously boring; basically giant bullet-sponges. The vault creature wins the prize of most anticlimactic ending/fight ever, with me standing absolutely still behind some object, pumping bullets. A paperweight could've won that fight... The difficulty-curve as a whole was really not that great. Not that there weren't moments, but in general, things just felt incredibly easy unless you kept your level down on purpose. And co-op games need to be significantly harder than singleplayer to be fun, IMO. After the 2nd playthrough, when at the 50 level cap, we tried restarting again to see how things would be, and it was even worse. The bullet-sponge factor was now over nine thousand - what with all enemies being level 50-52 and all... The vehicle combat was beyond terrible as well.

In fairness, I probably went in with expectations set too high, but I'd been following this game since before anyone knew what it actually was going to be (including Gearbox themselves, I suspect). Though with the difficulty being what it was, at least you had plenty of time to joke around. For that reason, I feel this would've better had I bought it on console and played it as a relaxing Friday night split-screen coop with beer & friends..

Disclaimer: I haven't played any of the DLC, so some of my complaints may have been remedied there, but I don't particularly feel like trying it after snoozing through the original content..

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Interview
11. Re: The Witcher 2 Interview Aug 31, 2010, 05:18 peteham

Kajetan wrote on Aug 31, 2010, 03:36:
But now, they aim for the big money and are dumbing down the combat system for consoles and controllers and people, who don't want to think, when they are playing.
What are you on about? The combat system was one of the game's weakest points to begin with. You had a minimal amount of skills, and it mainly consisted of picking the right type of sword and the right form.

Or "later" on, with maxed Igni: Just nuke everyone in front of you with the click of a button. Kind of ironic given that it was accompanied by a spell-effect that resembled someone blowing dying embers through a straw...

567 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo