Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 580 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II DRM
20. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age 2 DRM Mar 12, 2011, 04:15 peteham

Bhruic wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 03:28:
In DA2, you cannot scout and initial enemy numbers and types don't really matter because new enemies will magically appear in the middle of the fight.

Gotta wonder if they were more inspired by Mass Effect or Call of Duty?

*sigh*
I don't recall either CoD or ME being so obvious and dumb about it, though. Sure, enemies might get reinforced from behind their lines (infinitely reinforced, in the case of CoD) or pop out of doors/hallways etc, but that generally made some form of sense. Unlike DA2, they:
- didn't spawn enemies behind you
- right in the middle of your party
- inside the friggin 11.5sqf storage room you just retreated to, with only one door.. Y'know, the one you're currently blocking with two fighters.

This aspect, more than any other, is totally ruining my enjoyment of DA2. You also have to save some mana/cooldowns when encountering the easy groups, making boring fights longer and more stretched out than they had to be, simply because you never know if another wave is gonna spawn in and have an assassin' in it, or a million archers in a nice spread-out configuration, all going for your caster

On that note, assassins truly do suck. I'm actually convinced they never fully tested Nightmare, instead testing hard, then going "let's bump the damage/health multiplication factors even more, and call it nightmare!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age II and High-Rez Patch Released
107. Re: Dragon Age 2 and High-Rez Patch Released Mar 10, 2011, 05:24 peteham

My impressions thus far are rather meh.
So the game unlocked for me on steam at midnight, finally, and I'm about 4-5 hours in (not much sleep before work today ;P). Still doing quests in Kirkwall. and my impressions so far is also pretty meh..

- Dialogue wheel: Ugh. The description text is so heavily truncated you basically have no clue what you're going to say, forcing you to go by the icon alone. I'm exaggerating a bit for effect by saying this, but the way it's been thus far, it *almost* feels as if you could just as well have an alignment option at character creation time, giving you straight up conversation cutscenes with no input required for the rest of the game...
- Camera: You'd assume that when removing the overview camera, they would at least improve some of DAO's clipping issues. But no.. Combat in confined spaces can be INCREDIBLY annoying. You literally can't see shit when backed into a corner of GENERIC_BASEMENT_62. The camera will either end up trapped between a wall and your party, or *inside* the group you're fighting.
- AOE targetting: Aargh! Can someone tell me how to disable the damn snap-to effect? With tactics on, it's hard enough as it is to avoid blasting your own guys with fireballs.
- Combat: Hard/nightmare is certainly challenging, no doubts there, but the way the game challenges you is incredibly cheap at times. You NEVER know the numbers you'll be facing prior to a fight. New waves of enemies will magically fall from the sky at seemingly random locations, centered on your squishies, making it all but impossible to tactically orient your party. 99% of my loadscreens thus far have been from squishies getting raped before I even noticed the large group of archers that had magically appeared behind my frontline... Fun times.. Fighting somewhat stretched out battles in alleys and around corners is especially obnoxious.
- Level reuse: The fact that I'm already getting sick of some of the town locales after only 4-5 hours is fairly telling.
- Console interface: 'nuff said.
- Tactics: The built-in tactics are back and as useless as ever unless you're playing on normal. Turning tactics OFF is no longer an option, with the top down camera removed, unless you really love *fiddly bits*.

So there you have it, my grand list of negativity! It's not all bad of course, but I'm finding the game pretty disappointing so far. This far into DAO, I was already having a blast.

News Comments > MS on Improving GFWL
18. Re: MS on Improving GFWL Mar 8, 2011, 15:03 peteham

Or add a subscription like Xbox live...
That probably is exactly where they want to go in the long term..

News Comments > Mass Effect Speculation
15. Re: Mass Effect Speculation Mar 4, 2011, 12:48 peteham

Got all the DLCs during the Christmas sale when they were 200 a pop. At full cost, the only one that's worth it, imo, is shadowbroker. Overlord, while decent, is just another side-mission. Personally I'd actually pick kasumi before overlord, especially if you're at the start of the game. While considerably shorter than overlord, I still found it more enjoyable. Didn't enjoy driving the hammerhead at all - hope they go back to ME2 launch status and forget about vehicles in any shape or form for ME3..  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo
60. Re: Crysis 2 Multiplayer Demo Mar 2, 2011, 08:56 peteham

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 04:50:
Ant wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 02:04:
Cartman wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 19:54:
necrosis wrote on Mar 1, 2011, 19:33:
Well this demo is lost on me.

Finally home form work and still can not log in. Let alone the damned "Unsupported video" error is pissing me off to no end every time I try to play it.

Replace that old Voodoo3. I hear the GeForce is a good videocard. Cool
So a GeForce 2? 4 MX? 5220 FX? 6800?

Nah wait for the Rendition Verite V3300
I'm still holding out for the Glaze3D Santa

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: REVELATION! Feb 19, 2011, 20:08 peteham

Oh, to be reminded of the old Mass Effect gem..

Poor Geoff.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2011, 20:23.

News Comments > Puzzle Agent 2 Announced & More On Telltale's New Games
7. Re: Puzzle Agent 2 Announced & More On Telltale's New Games Feb 19, 2011, 07:50 peteham

ViRGE wrote on Feb 19, 2011, 07:39:
20 Euros an episode?! Good lord, how does that work? Steam pegs the price of the entire series at 18.99 in France, for example.
LOL, thanks for clearing that up for me. I just checked the steam page a while back and automatically assumed the price-tag was per episode.

The good: I don't have to hold off on getting it any longer.
The bad: I'm stupid. Zombie

News Comments > Puzzle Agent 2 Announced & More On Telltale's New Games
3. Re: Puzzle Agent 2 Announced & More On Telltale's New Games Feb 19, 2011, 06:40 peteham

Watched Giant Bomb's Quick Look of Jurassic Park yesterday. Ugh. I was actually somewhat looking forward to this title - still under the illusion it was going to be an adventure game. If the video is any indication, however, what they've made instead is: Heavy Rain. I absolutely hated that game, even more so due to the ridiculously overblown positive reviews it got. Interactive movie with the plot of a particularly bad CSI-episode, and lots of QTEs sprinkled on top. I wonder how the gameplay mechanics will fare this time, without any platform fanboyism or massive hype carrying it.

Some other observations about JP. Horrible annoying pauses between cuts/scenes, though it could just be the console version. Also, their engine really doesn't lend itself well to any art style that isn't cartoony. Phong-shaded Plastic Dinosaur Park.

Still looking forward to playing Back to the Future sometime in the, uh, Future.. At almost 20 euros per episode, times five, it's way beyond what I'm willing to pay for it at the moment though.

News Comments > Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak
208. Re: Crytek Responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 14, 2011, 06:09 peteham

Bhruic wrote on Feb 14, 2011, 00:31:
You want to talk about the "damage" of piracy? Read the link from Neil Gaiman that was posted a couple days back:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/02/10/neil-gaiman-piracy-lending-books/

There's no doubt that there is a negative impact from piracy. But as Neil so aptly points out, there is also a positive impact. How the balance is scaled is something I doubt anyone knows, but there's no surprise that people like Neil think the balance is positive, or the recent study from Japan says that music piracy increases sales.
I do agree with Gaimain's broader view, to some extent, even though it's fairly simplified, and the analogy about libraries isn't 100% appropriate (as with any analogy).

Any form of piracy, be it music, movies, games, e-books or what have you, enables people to consume a lot more content than they'd be able to if everything had to be paid for. This doesn't necessarily translate into lost sales. You would never have tried that game at all if it wasn't "free". You would never have watched that movie if it wasn't "free". In the end, it *might* generate sales, with people discovering content that would have otherwise passed them by.

But on the other hand, you also have the people who are never going to buy anything while it's available for free at no risk. As you point out in your post, no-one really knows the ratio between the "never buy" and "might buy" groups, but from my own experience being a terror of the cyber-seas during my formative years I get the strong impression that the latter group is the biggest by far. We're talking hard-core gamers who NEVER buy software, period. Instead redirecting their (limited, in the case of students) funds into hardware. Would these people stop gaming entirely if the piracy-venue became unavailable? Unlikely..

74. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 19:42 peteham

reisub wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 19:20:
They are obviously talking to the whole PC gaming community. If they didn't think we were all pirates they wouldn't use DRM.

What difference does this leak make? Pirates will pirate, the rest (hopefully still most) of us will, um...well, I'm not really interested in this game but if I was I'd buy it. :)
That's a ridiculous argument. By the same logic, then, everyone in the world is a burglar, since you most likely lock the door to your house when going out?

When it comes to DRM, I'm a believer in stopping 0-day piracy. Obviously, there's the fairly sizable group of people that are never going to buy anything as long as it can be picked up for free with near zero risk over ever getting caught.. But on the other hand, you have the people itching to play, who are going to pick the first venue of availability.. I can guarantee that having played through the game, regardless of the state it was in, is going to dampen a lot of people's desire to buy the finished product at release. Why buy it when you've already finished it, right?

64. Re: Crytek responds to Crysis 2 Leak Feb 12, 2011, 18:53 peteham

wtf_man wrote on Feb 12, 2011, 18:38:
It's a bunch of BS, and Crytek WANTS an excuse to dump the PC market.... so, again... (from the other thread on this topic) I say let them... and good riddance.

/shrug
They don't need an excuse to do anything. They're a company, not one of your buddies looking for an excuse to skip your birthday party. If they wanted to dump the PC market, they would just go ahead and do it. Studios don't release on the PC platform out of the goodness of their hearts, but because - in spite of piracy - there's still money in it. Just less than there would've been without it.

News Comments > On PC Dragon Age II
28. Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 17:35 peteham

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 14:51:
Love how the guy says they removed the "fiddly bits", like positioning your party. Now you just hit the button and stuff dies! Sigh
Depends on which fiddly bits they've removed.. If it's the abysmal path-finding of DA:O, I'm going to be more than OK with that. Rogue repositioning is a great example actually. So often, you'd find your stupid rogue just standing there doing absolutely nothing if a boss had moved two inches away.. Not having to keep track of THAT many tiny insignificant little things is a good thing in my view. Also, the game appears to feature less trashloot. Less trashloot equals less time spent managing your weight limit and doing vendor runs. That part at least, seems good to me. Don't confuse meaningless tedium with complexity. Case in point: Awakening's abysmal runes. Yuck.

Radial menu and Mass Effect-style convos though, not so much... But who am I kidding, I'll probably get this unless it absolutely tanks in the reviews department, even if it's probably not going to be as good as origins.

News Comments > On PC Dragon Age II
26. Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 17:29 peteham

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 16:52:
I'm glad you're fine with it and not worried that they removed things that you didn't care about anyway. A lot of us do want more tactical combat, the tactical viewpoint, and the ability to really make the most of our party's combat abilities rather than just jumping into a 3rd-person view and trying to manage things from that viewpoint. Why the fuck couldn't they just leave the tactical view there? It's not like anyone is forced to use it.
I honestly ended up using the tactical view less and less as DA:O progressed anyway. Ranged guys had nearly twice the range of the artificial border... As for why they couldn't just leave the tactical view in, it's because they would then have to take it into account when designing levels, with ceilings that come off.. Also, artists are saddened when their hard work drawing carvings and chandeliers goes unnoticed

News Comments > On PC Crysis 2
19. Re: On PC Crysis 2 Feb 9, 2011, 15:47 peteham

Bhruic wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 15:07:
They assume that the game should run perfectly on the highest settings given a reasonably high performance machine at the time of release. And if not, it's unoptimized garbage.

As opposed to what? Releasing a game that you can't run on max settings with a high powered machine? What's the point in releasing a game that people can't run on max settings with the best machines of the day? Sure, maybe 5 years later, they can finally do it, but that's not going to help your game now. Including settings in the game that no one can actually use is pretty stupid, and if that leads to complaints about your game, the only one you should be blaming is yourself.
Why is it stupid? In my view it proves that the engine is scalable.. I ran the original Crysis on my E6600 with an 8800GTX and it ran decently on Medium/High settings.. The framerate certainly wasn't superb but I had no problems playing through it. I agree with Tom and have posted about this before as well: If Crytek had simply renamed Medium "High" and left High, Ultra and beyond for the INI tweakers to find, teh Internet Hivemind's opinion might have been different..

It's quite funny when PC gamers piss and moan endlessly about console-hardware holding us back, then do the same about the last PC game that really tried to push the graphical envelope... Oh well, lesson learned for Crytek. I suppose.

News Comments > Volition Would Kill to Make FreeSpace 3
44. Re: Volition Would Feb 9, 2011, 06:34 peteham

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 00:37:
Wildone wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 00:02:
Freelancer was gay. Do you see fighter pilots flying around with a mouse and keyboard? Nope.
That makes plenty of sense. Yep none at all.

So anyone else want to raise their hands, and list the number of mice(that would be the ones with a ball in them to you kids) that they killed playing x-wing and tie fighter? I'll guess around 8 for me.
*clack*clack*clack*clack*clack* <--- sound of me jogging the mouse in every direction in order to chase down those pesky TIE-fighters.

News Comments > Roper on Flagship
12. Re: Roper on Flagship Feb 8, 2011, 07:58 peteham

Talisorn wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 22:07:
If they just left HGL a FPS Diablo Clone (with simple small group LAM/Multiplayer support) it would have been fine as their startup game. Making it a subscription based MMO ( at which it failed miserably) was simply insane.
Agreed about the Diablo Clone bit.

What I will never get, is why people raged so much about the subscription model. You could play through the game just fine without paying a cent beyond the initial purchase.. Surely that's a step better than a pure subscription model in which you'd NEED a subscription to play at all?

Every single person who subscribed knew full well that they'd basically be paying extra for nothing. It's not as if the subscriber "benefits" were secret or anything. And as for lifetime subbers, I won't even bother commenting on the stupidity of hopping on-board based on nothing but promises

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 08:10.

News Comments > Disabled Gamer Petition
25. Re: Disabled Gamer Petition Feb 8, 2011, 07:02 peteham

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 05:09:
This isnt purely a console problem. Minecraft has the same problem, for instance. I always use RMB for moving forward, the wasd system is idiotic imo.

I use RMB forward, Space backwards and left-right with W and E. this way you can leave all movement fingers in the hover position, and it leaves 2 available fingers over Q and R as well. I dare you to try it a few days and disagree that its a more sensible system than WASD

With WASD or similar arrow-shaped movement keys, there are more fiddling, you need to move your middle finger to switch between forwards and backwards, and the pinky is left hanging above capslock/shift. Its a shit system, and I cant believe it's become the default
I used pretty much that exact mapping for Doom back in the day, actually. Backpedal and open doors mapped to Space, E and W to strafe, shoot with LMB and run with RMB (and pinky glued to SHIFT for running ) The reason I switched to WASD later on is that using mouse buttons is a slight hindrance to your aiming ability. Doom only had horizontal aim, and you didn't have to be that accurate anyway with large bounding boxes and no headshots, so it didn't matter much there. I eventually switched to WASD with Quake 1 and never looked back. I can't imagine playing a fast-paced game like QuakeLive, or headshot-oriented games like CS or CoD, with your setup, really. I would even move my shoot-button from LMB to something on the keyboard too if I could, but alas I've seem to have run out of fingers/hands

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo Confirmed
12. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Confirmed Feb 3, 2011, 14:12 peteham

Creston wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 13:48:
Kudos to them for doing a demo. The gameplay videos have looked utterly retarded, but maybe they were just bad videos.
Yeah. I distinctly remember 99% of the Dragon Age Origins preview-material being unimpressive to say the least. Those are the straws I'm grasping at with regards to Dragon Age 2 goes, as well

News Comments > Magicka Patched
3. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 3, 2011, 04:44 peteham

Drezden wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 00:05:
This game is tons of fun with a few friends. And I'm very impressed with their quick ongoing support of the title, especially for a game that was 10 bucks.
Ongoing support? It's nice that they're patching it and all, but honestly, I don't think they're at the stage where they're truly deserving of praise yet, even for a EUR 10 game. It's still a partial train-wreck in the stability department; not even close to where it should have been at launch. Frankly, the on-going patching is the least one could expect. Hell, with a crew of four people, we can barely get through a single chapter in the first go, because it's pretty much a given that *someone* is going to crash out during the chapter, and there's no way to rejoin a game in in progress, so that means starting over..

Yes, the game itself is highly original and tonnes of fun in co-op. I didn't enjoy SP much, though. I found the game was at its best with a full crew of noobs, accidentally blowing each other off cliffs, setting ourselves on fire, not noticing that we were soaked and zapping ourselves with lightning etc... I find my enjoyment of it has fizzed out a bit with people gaining more skill. It's still fun, mind you (when it's not CTD'ing), but... yeah.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 21, 2010, 13:02 peteham

the_culture wrote on Dec 21, 2010, 11:39:
Kinect sex game will not become reality, Microsoft says

December 21, 2010: The day industry progress died.
Imagine local co-op.

580 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo