Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 580 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
23. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 16:40 peteham

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 16:00:
Joss wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 14:05:
It's console. Look at this video @ 720p and see how muddy the textures are. Definitely watered down. This is no way to sell an iD title.

Could be however I have never seen any console games prompting me to press E to interact. It does look like they are using a controller however. Kind of weird.
It's probably because controller-play forces slower/more steady movement, which is easier on the eyes for trailer purposes.. Also why I always take gameplay trailers with a small grain of salt because, irrespective of the controller used, they tend to make the gameplay look slower/dumber than it actually is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA's Online Service
13. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 12:39 peteham

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:09:
Great. Another download client. Yay.

As long as ME3 will be available on Steam, I don't care. That's very likely the last EA game I'll buy anyways.

Creston
I'm going to bet pounds to pennies that, even with the Steam version, Origin registration of some sort will be a requirement for every EA game moving forward.. Much like we were saddled with Bioware's horrible social net for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Just what I need. More useless accounts everywhere, and more passwords to keep track of

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 21, 2011, 06:17 peteham

The thing about unlimited data plans is that they're profitable mainly because the vast majority of customer don't even come close to actually needing their unlimited plan (as it's also pointed out in the article). But with the advent of WiFi tethering etc. the average usage per month is going up. I imagine heavy tethering could lead to capacity problems in certain areas, because more customers are actually starting to properly make use of the product they're paying for.. Hence, carriers would either have to spend money on additional infrastructure (lord forbid), or include special clauses about tethering not being allowed, like Verizon (IIRC, correct me if I'm misremembering) started doing a while back.. At least they're now going for the more honest option of simply removing unlimited plans from their portfolio: If it isn't UNLIMITED and comes with some pretty significant usage restrictions, then don't brand it as unlimited.

That said, profit margins on things like text messaging and 3G data must surely be ridiculous. Certainly, as far as city centres go, or most of continental europe, you need about one mobile mast to reach seven billion customers, and the amount of traffic generated by a single text message is surely quite negligible....

This comment was edited on May 21, 2011, 06:22.

News Comments > Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted
8. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:12 peteham

I'm looking for exceptional environment cut&paste artists to join me at #BioWare Edmonton, Canada to work on #DragonAge3 #gamejobs #jobs #3D #artists.
Fixed that for ya.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Squad Scaled Down
17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Squad Scaled Down May 12, 2011, 08:45 peteham

As long as this really does lead to deeper relationships with the remaining companions, and isn't just a way cutting of corners and getting the game out quicker, DA2-style...

On the subject of companion quests, I don't know about you guys but even though the majority of the game-time was spent doing companion-missions that (aside from Legion, Tali and possibly Grunt/Mordin) were tangential to the story-line at best, I enjoyed every single one of them immensely. As far as side-quests go, they were pretty damn well done, with interesting premises all around.

That said, it would've been a pretty huge letdown to have the trilogy concluded in the same way, I suppose

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Delayed
15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:29 peteham

Creston wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:18:
For once, I don't mind at all. First of, there's a ton of great games already coming out in November, and this will give them a few more months to make sure it doesn't suffer from Dragon Age 2 Syndrome.

Great news.
Couldn't agree more, great news indeed. Let's just hope the extra time is spent fleshing out locations and such as opposed to squeezing in a hammerhead-level..

Edit: And then I spotted the ominous link of doom.

News Comments > Mass Effect Interview
7. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 18:46 peteham

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:35:
bobbyric wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:14:
well that quote is skewed a little on context, he's not saying there's never going to another game of this scope. he's saying there's never going to be a game that carries your personal choices between 3 different 30+ hour games.

honestly they went overboard, I could hardly remember my choices in MS1 I'd get ship e-mails and meet characters from MS1 and I was like "Did I do that? Do I know you? what?" The only two big decisions that seemed to matter was krogran, love interest, and ending... But the ending you chose really didn't matter.

Don't forget that there's another game coming where these choices will resonate. I'm 99% sure that killing the Rachni in the first game is going to have pretty hefty repercussions in ME3 (as the Rachni can undoubtedly just swarm a reaper and tear it to shreds.)

Of course, Jerykk thinks that saving the Rachni queen means you'll get an email from her in the third game, so we'll see. :)
Going go have to go with Jerykk on this one, though I personally think it's going to be more of a news bulletin type of thing. "System X was spared reaper culling today, thanks to the intervention of the Rachni, previously thought extinct." etc. etc.
The reason I don't think it's going to directly affect the gameplay and "Shepard's story" that much, is that they have to account for people who never played the prequels.. And even as someone who did, I don't really love the idea of having the fate of the universe decided by something I did in a game back in 2007 (or by doing the storyboard-thing).

Also, I hope they postpone to February like ME2 if they feel the need. It would be a shame to end the trilogy in the manner of DA2...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2011, 15:56 peteham

Finally bought Bioshock 2. Can't imagine it not being worth €4.99. Unsure when I'll get around to actually playing it, though. My backlog seems to be growing rather than shrinking lately.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 13:51 peteham

Followed some links from the page linked in the news, and ended up on this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZGbsALmLw

Did the guy really eat the chili that's so hot you supposedly have to wear a hazmat suit when cooking it? Can that be healthy?

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities
14. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities Apr 11, 2011, 12:00 peteham

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2011, 11:48:
wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega?

Sure. Unfortunately, you'd make an MMO where instead of doing that, you'd be grinding against mobs for vendor trash...

Creston
Assist in rebuilding the Citadel; gather
- 50.000 palladium
- 15.000 eezo
- 50 Krogan Warlord Skulls
- 10 turtle shells

Gaming heaven.

News Comments > BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities
1. Re: BioWare on Mass Effect MMO Possibilities Apr 11, 2011, 10:27 peteham

Protest  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Arrival Arrives
14. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival Arrives Mar 31, 2011, 14:06 peteham

Also forgot to mention: Some great music pieces in this.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Arrival Arrives
1. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival Arrives Mar 30, 2011, 12:37 peteham

Just finished this. I'd place it somewhere on par with Kasumi for the actual mission, though this doesn't give you a new character. It's also extremely short, just as expected. I didn't time my playthrough, but I'd guesstimate it was almost two hours or so. If you're picking the game up again just for the sake of playing this mission, you'll barely have time to get back in the Mass Effect mood before it's all over. It might be better if you do it directly after the suicide mission, but even then I suspect it's going to feel like a somewhat amputated experience.

Still, as a Mass Effect fan I found it quite enjoyable, but for most people, I'd recomment simply watching a walkthrough on Youtube for the story bits...

Oh, and without spoiling anything, a few of the forum-theories from when the achievements "leaked" were better than the actual story

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2011, 12:42.

News Comments > Game of Thrones RPG Plans
7. Re: Game of Thrones RPG Plans Mar 26, 2011, 18:37 peteham

Kedyn wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 18:06:
Either way, it'll probably come out before George R. R. Martin finishes the next book.
He's actually set a date now, believe it or not. 12.07.2011. See http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

I still won't believe it until I see it

News Comments > Crysis 2 Tweak Tool
3. Re: Crysis 2 Tweak Tool Mar 25, 2011, 12:55 peteham

Actually, your eyes have motion-blur too  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Mar 23, 2011, 08:56 peteham

I started out on nightmare based on forum feedback, and it was a good challenge for a while. As you say, it's the only difficulty where some features like combining effects comes into play. On hard it makes things a little easier, and on normal there's just no need to pay attention. But in any case, I backed down to hard pretty quickly for a couple of reasons. First, the sheer amount of generic and mind-numbingly boring bandit encounters in the game is obviously tailored to normal difficulty. Nightmare, or even Hard, makes the game drag on for far too long; the game is already 20 hours too long for the amount of unique content it provides...

Second, having 90% of your reloading caused by freshly spawned enemies raping half your party in a moment of not paying attention, just isn't fun. For some encounters, you pretty much have to keep pausing and doing a 360 survey of the battlefield every three seconds. And if your party is in a bad spot as a wave spawns, you're screwed with no chance of recovery based on something that just couldn't be planned for. Especially amusing when the fresh spawn happened to be a mage or assassin.

Once I hit Act 3, (after going down to casual for the Arishok-duel) instead of going back to hard, I just set the game to normal.. I was thoroughly done with the game at that point, and just wanted to get to the endgame. Of course, nothing new or exciting really happened there, either, though the bossfight was decent, I suppose.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Mar 22, 2011, 12:14 peteham

The Hooked Gamer review is one of the few I've seen where it sounds as if the reviewer actually played through the game, rather than just plowing through the mainquest on normal. Certainly, the 94-95% scores from PCGamer and PCFormat are absolutely ridiculous.

I played through the game this weekend, and my final verdict is even more negative than my initial impressions were...

The difficulty is absolutely ridiculous. Ranging from far too easy on normal, to mildly irritating on hard, to just fucking annoying on nightmare. There's a difference between challenging and plain stupid, and DA2 plants its face in the latter category, hard enough to leave a crater. The whole game almost feels like playing a JRPG in this respect: You will hardly ever see your enemies while walking around. Instead, you'll step on some battle trigger, and *poof* out of thin air they appear. In waves. There's nothing tactical about having your mages annihilated by the rogues that just spawned ON TOP of him out of thin air, while your warrior is way up ahead trying to deal with those damn archers.

*SPOILER* Nor is there anything tactical about running in circles for 30 friggin minutes. I am of course referring to the Arishok-duel, such a crappy piece of gamedesign that I reverted to casual because I frankly couldn't be bothered. Not only does the dude have endless amounts of HP, or pretty much kill you in one hit on anything above normal (if not directly then because he staggers you for about, oh, seven hours).. No.. The designer then decided to give the fucker not one, not two, but THREE fucking health potions for good measure. Jesus. *SPOILER*

Oh; and content-reuse. Mass Effect 1 has nothing on DA2, believe me. While ME1 only recycled sidequests, DA2 recycles the same 5-6 locations for *the whole damn game*. I really enjoy revisting places when done properly, but DA2 just reeks of being designed around a much too short development cycle. Even the endgame, the very final minutes of your game, are spent slogging through those same drab, sterile, boring alleys of Lowtown, Darktown and Whatever-town, fighting the very same bandits and shades you've been fighting for 30+ repetitive hours already.

I don't really have any problems with the new combat system/skill-changes. Aside from being a bit faster and lacking a top down view, it feels pretty much the same as before. More's the pity then, because it lets you sort of glimpse the game that might've been if they'd only had another year to actually build a proper game around the mechanics.

Steam claims I've spent around 42 hours on my playthrough. Based on the amount of memorable and unique moments I can remember, it feels more like I've just played through 1.5 hours worth of DLC. What a disappointment.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2011, 12:20.

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
27. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 21, 2011, 13:01 peteham

kxmode wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 11:30:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 11:21:
That is an odd comment...based on diablo and diablo 2 I don't see a lot of crossover. Did torchlight suck players away from WoW?

Torchlight wasn't made by Blizzard. People are loyal to brands. It's like that line in Tommy Boy: Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. I know there are people who buy nothing but Madden or Final Fantasy games because that is what they are loyal to.
More importantly, it wasn't multiplayer.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month
31. Re: Mass Effect 2 Arrival DLC This Month Mar 18, 2011, 17:43 peteham

Hmmm, 560 space bucks ain't a lot, suggesting it'll be a short affair.. Oh well.  

News Comments > Crytek Plans UDK-Style CryENGINE SDK
8. Re: Crytek Plans UDK-Style CryENGINE SDK Mar 16, 2011, 06:41 peteham

Tehol wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 05:02:
you guys gushing about crysis or crysis warhead?
i stopped playing crysis in the ship level.the boss fight was horrible...i remember suddenly my system was crawling instead of running.
was it near the end of the game?
It was the end of the game. But agreed, the boss fight was horrible. Warhead's bossfight wasn't much better, either, if I'm honest

580 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo