Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 571 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots
13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 19:49 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 18:45:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 17:45:
Wait. Did I just see "spawning" enemies jumping out from the sky? Didn't they learn *not* to do that from DA2?

An assault bot that drops into a middle of a battle, to me, is logical. Five archers that fall out of the sky right beside your mage is not.

I doubt Bioware understands the difference, but they were very good with enemy reinforcements and how they entered the fray in ME2, so hopefully they haven't forgotten. (or, rather, hopefully Casey Hudson tells that Dragon Age 2 dipshit producer to get FAR FAR away from this game.)

Creston
Technically, if you stretched it one MIGHT say they jumped down from rooftops etc

Then again, what's going to matter is how this is implemented. Logical or no, if a great number of encounters are based around waves of jetpack-troopers dropping from the sky, it's going to suck. If the mechanic is used sparingly, it might not be so bad..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout
30. Re: No TrackMania 2 Boxed or Steam Release (Yet); Media Blowout Aug 15, 2011, 03:36 peteham

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 03:13:
Well, you play FS or tech tracks without knowing what you're doing, and you're pretty much always going to rank badly (and in a large server, that's a pretty high number). I guess it's probably kind of demoralizing. TM has a pretty nasty learning curve.

There's also people who just want the points. Nadeo capped lol servers at 60,000 because of that, IIRC.

I can see some short/lol servers being entertaining for awhile, what gets me is just how many of them there are.
Yeah, there seems to be twice as many LOL servers as every other gametype combined. I think it's great that the game has that kind of versatility with essentially different sub-games made possible by creative use of the level editor. But at the same time it also makes me a bit sad to see so many LOL servers (and lately, to some degree, the bizarrely named "RPG" servers), because they kind'a cannibalize the influx of players for other game modes. After all, it's not like players new to the game are going to join the ghost town tech servers when the LOL servers are fully populated and therefore always at the top of the server list.. The introduction of freezone made this even worse (for stadium-players, at least).

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
47. Re: PC Gamer gave it a 94... Aug 12, 2011, 18:57 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 18:36:
JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 15:16:
PC Gamer supposedly gave it a 94, and the reviewer stated it was the best game he played in the last 4 years. He also claims to be a tremendous fan of the original Deus Ex.

Unfortunately you have to take everything PC Gamer says with a grain of salt, as they have a reputation for being a little...sensational...with their reviews. But it certainly did get me excited, this game might pull it off after all!

Well, it's not an EA game, and I don't know of PC Gamer ever having been bought on a previous Eidos game before, so it might be genuine.

Creston
Don't forget Gerstmanngate, not to mention the whole deal with Tomb Raider Underworld Between the two episodes, I can't think of a publisher with a more well-publicized history of attempted metacritic tweaking.
As for PC Gamer, another game that got 94: DA2

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 19:04.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Announced
38. Re: Borderlands 2 Announced Aug 3, 2011, 14:43 peteham

Bumpy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 13:18:
Won't RAGE be making this game look and play kind of weak?

If they make this one proper on PC I might buy it but RAGE seems way better.
I really don't think RAGE is going to be comparable to BL in any way. May as well compare it to Fallout 3 in that case. The similarities basically end at post-apocalyptic setting + first person perspective.

As far as BL1 goes, I personally didn't enjoy it much. Aside from stats and skills being a bit wonky as others have already pointed out, my main complaint was the whole bullet-sponge gameplay. None of the enemies had any kind of interesting behaviour as far as I can remember (haven't touched the game since release so my memory could be a bit fuzzy). Not even a bit of stagger as you shot them in the face.. Just point, shoot to burn down HP. Rinse, repeat. And oh god, the vehicles... And the "supreme" tickling-power of the mounted guns

The concept had a lot of promise, though. If they fix the balance/itemization issues and make the core gameplay more engaging, they'll have a winner. I'll definitely be keeping BL2 on my radar.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
190. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:47 peteham

Krovven wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:33:
This is real money. It's to get it off the shady sites and to give Blizzard a piece of the cut. If anything, it's going to devalue items because it won't just be the pro's businesses running the market, it will be everyone, making it if anything, less appealing to the pro businesses.
It's also going to significantly increase the number of people who use real cash to buy items/gold, though. When there's a sanctioned and safe way to do it, rather than having to go through some shady site, more people are going to use that option. One can only hope they've got some fairly robust counter-measures for duping this time.

On that note, I wonder if the AH will be available to players during ladder races? Though to my knowledge, there's been no information as yet on how the ladder is going to work this time around, of if there's even going to be one.

Doesn't really bother me much either way though. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll just opt out of items-for-cash completely since I'm only going to play with friends anyway.

News Comments > Windows L.A. Noire This Fall
30. Re: Windows L.A. Noire This Fall Jun 23, 2011, 14:22 peteham

Krovven wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 11:58:
Always accuse of lying first because if you are wrong you can back out and you have a 50/50 shot on the next choice. Truth or Doubt and you are stuck with your choice, right or wrong. Throw in Intuition points (which you get tons of) just makes the whole thing pointless.
Ugh, I've found myself unable to even finish the game due to how terrible and inconsistent the whole interview/interrogation mechanic is. The Zeropunctuation review had a hilariously accurate take on it.

News Comments > MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements
18. Re: MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements Jun 7, 2011, 03:13 peteham

TheDagda509 wrote on Jun 6, 2011, 21:47:
Halo CE with Reach graphics. Ooooh!! I can't wait to pay 60 bucks for a game I already played 10 times over the last 7-8 years.
Based on the post-conference interview on GT, it won't carry a full retail price but will probably be priced similarly to ODST. Not quite expansion price, but not $<price of new game> either.

Still, if all they've done is put a new graphical layer on top (though switching back and forth could be a fun novelty in places), Halo CE would've needed some serious level re-design for me to touch the campaign again. There were quite a few cut&paste levels that just went on and on and on... Ugh.

News Comments > MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements
7. Re: MS E3 Presser Includes Fable, Minecraft, and Halo Announcements Jun 6, 2011, 15:55 peteham

The most pathetic conference ever.. The degree of Kinect shoe-horning was incredible.

Also, MS' renewed commitment to PC? I'd say that's failed. Fistbump!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2011, 14:57 peteham

Just watched E3's press conference. The kinect stuff was, quite possibly, even more hilarious than last year.

Fist bump!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2011, 11:26 peteham

Let's see if this year's E3 can be any more boring than 2010... Even more Kinect and Move announcements while MS and Sony refuse to admit the whole concept of motion controls is lame?  

News Comments > Michael J. Fox Goes Back to Back to the Future
12. Re: Michael J. Fox Goes Back to Back to the Future Jun 6, 2011, 03:21 peteham

Sepharo wrote on Jun 5, 2011, 19:18:
At work if we need to make an unexpected branch in the source control I refer to it as the Biff timeline.
LOL

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
23. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 16:40 peteham

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 16:00:
Joss wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 14:05:
It's console. Look at this video @ 720p and see how muddy the textures are. Definitely watered down. This is no way to sell an iD title.

Could be however I have never seen any console games prompting me to press E to interact. It does look like they are using a controller however. Kind of weird.
It's probably because controller-play forces slower/more steady movement, which is easier on the eyes for trailer purposes.. Also why I always take gameplay trailers with a small grain of salt because, irrespective of the controller used, they tend to make the gameplay look slower/dumber than it actually is.

News Comments > EA's Online Service
13. Re: EA's Online Service Jun 3, 2011, 12:39 peteham

Creston wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 11:09:
Great. Another download client. Yay.

As long as ME3 will be available on Steam, I don't care. That's very likely the last EA game I'll buy anyways.

Creston
I'm going to bet pounds to pennies that, even with the Steam version, Origin registration of some sort will be a requirement for every EA game moving forward.. Much like we were saddled with Bioware's horrible social net for Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Just what I need. More useless accounts everywhere, and more passwords to keep track of

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization May 21, 2011, 06:17 peteham

The thing about unlimited data plans is that they're profitable mainly because the vast majority of customer don't even come close to actually needing their unlimited plan (as it's also pointed out in the article). But with the advent of WiFi tethering etc. the average usage per month is going up. I imagine heavy tethering could lead to capacity problems in certain areas, because more customers are actually starting to properly make use of the product they're paying for.. Hence, carriers would either have to spend money on additional infrastructure (lord forbid), or include special clauses about tethering not being allowed, like Verizon (IIRC, correct me if I'm misremembering) started doing a while back.. At least they're now going for the more honest option of simply removing unlimited plans from their portfolio: If it isn't UNLIMITED and comes with some pretty significant usage restrictions, then don't brand it as unlimited.

That said, profit margins on things like text messaging and 3G data must surely be ridiculous. Certainly, as far as city centres go, or most of continental europe, you need about one mobile mast to reach seven billion customers, and the amount of traffic generated by a single text message is surely quite negligible....

This comment was edited on May 21, 2011, 06:22.

News Comments > Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted
8. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:12 peteham

I'm looking for exceptional environment cut&paste artists to join me at #BioWare Edmonton, Canada to work on #DragonAge3 #gamejobs #jobs #3D #artists.
Fixed that for ya.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Squad Scaled Down
17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Squad Scaled Down May 12, 2011, 08:45 peteham

As long as this really does lead to deeper relationships with the remaining companions, and isn't just a way cutting of corners and getting the game out quicker, DA2-style...

On the subject of companion quests, I don't know about you guys but even though the majority of the game-time was spent doing companion-missions that (aside from Legion, Tali and possibly Grunt/Mordin) were tangential to the story-line at best, I enjoyed every single one of them immensely. As far as side-quests go, they were pretty damn well done, with interesting premises all around.

That said, it would've been a pretty huge letdown to have the trilogy concluded in the same way, I suppose

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Delayed
15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:29 peteham

Creston wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:18:
For once, I don't mind at all. First of, there's a ton of great games already coming out in November, and this will give them a few more months to make sure it doesn't suffer from Dragon Age 2 Syndrome.

Great news.
Couldn't agree more, great news indeed. Let's just hope the extra time is spent fleshing out locations and such as opposed to squeezing in a hammerhead-level..

Edit: And then I spotted the ominous link of doom.

News Comments > Mass Effect Interview
7. Re: Mass Effect Interview Apr 27, 2011, 18:46 peteham

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:35:
bobbyric wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:14:
well that quote is skewed a little on context, he's not saying there's never going to another game of this scope. he's saying there's never going to be a game that carries your personal choices between 3 different 30+ hour games.

honestly they went overboard, I could hardly remember my choices in MS1 I'd get ship e-mails and meet characters from MS1 and I was like "Did I do that? Do I know you? what?" The only two big decisions that seemed to matter was krogran, love interest, and ending... But the ending you chose really didn't matter.

Don't forget that there's another game coming where these choices will resonate. I'm 99% sure that killing the Rachni in the first game is going to have pretty hefty repercussions in ME3 (as the Rachni can undoubtedly just swarm a reaper and tear it to shreds.)

Of course, Jerykk thinks that saving the Rachni queen means you'll get an email from her in the third game, so we'll see. :)
Going go have to go with Jerykk on this one, though I personally think it's going to be more of a news bulletin type of thing. "System X was spared reaper culling today, thanks to the intervention of the Rachni, previously thought extinct." etc. etc.
The reason I don't think it's going to directly affect the gameplay and "Shepard's story" that much, is that they have to account for people who never played the prequels.. And even as someone who did, I don't really love the idea of having the fate of the universe decided by something I did in a game back in 2007 (or by doing the storyboard-thing).

Also, I hope they postpone to February like ME2 if they feel the need. It would be a shame to end the trilogy in the manner of DA2...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 17, 2011, 15:56 peteham

Finally bought Bioshock 2. Can't imagine it not being worth 4.99. Unsure when I'll get around to actually playing it, though. My backlog seems to be growing rather than shrinking lately.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2011, 13:51 peteham

Followed some links from the page linked in the news, and ended up on this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZGbsALmLw

Did the guy really eat the chili that's so hot you supposedly have to wear a hazmat suit when cooking it? Can that be healthy?

571 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo