Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 578 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
92. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 18, 2011, 04:25 peteham

I'm at work so I can't check, but I assume that like everything else these days, your savegames are stored in your profile folder anyway, so that once you install the legit version, they'll show up automatically.

As for achievements, I don't really know but I seriously doubt it.. You probably need steam running when they trigger.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
81. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:31 peteham

Absolutely loving the game so far.. It has many of the same issues as Oblivion but it doesn't detract from the overall experience.. And I have to say, it looks absolutely amazing. Maybe not in an "omdjee this is the highest texture rez I've evar seen!11" way, but the overall art design, landscapes and small details has been amazing so far. Good on them for shipping 7 mill units; proves that you don't need cheap tacked-on multiplayer to move your game if it's good.

Btw, I'm currently playing as a 2h dude.. Does anyone know if the blocking perks like quick reflexed (i.e. ones that don't specifically mention shields) work for blocking with a 2h weapon? Haven't wanted to risk putting points in that tree yet even though 2h blocking certainly improves your blocking skill, so I have 6-7 points saved up at this point

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
16. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 11:17 peteham

Ratty wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 10:33:
CommunistHamster wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 10:30:
A good procedural game would be a first (besides DF). That kind of innovation is sorely lacking in gaming today, for the last few years it's just been graphics and casualisation innovations.
There was Hellgate: London.
I believe the wording he used was good procedural game

News Comments > Skyrim Preloads; Diary
14. Re: Skyrim Preloads; Diary Nov 9, 2011, 04:50 peteham

I just arranged to have Friday off. The game better unlock early in the morning in europe.. Guess I'll bring my work laptop home with me so I can clock some hours (while raging) in case it doesn't  

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Wipe
4. Re: Diablo III Beta Wipe Nov 5, 2011, 05:37 peteham

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 00:54:
Will you be able to respec?

Are certain classes still sex specific? *rogues being female only, for example*
All classes were gender specific in the previous games. D3 lets you choose for all of them. As far as respeccing goes, it seems they just made it require a trip to town rather than something you can do anywhere at any time. While I lack a certain other bluesnewser's fetish for complete tedium in my games *ahem*, I'd like to see them experiment with an added fee as well ;-P It could start out really cheap, to give you an easy way to remedy your early poor choices when you don't know up from down, but with an increasing rate for repeated respecs like WoW.. It just seems like a good idea to at least give some weight to your skill choices, and also giving people more reason to roll multiple characters to try out different builds and such rather than just needing ONE maxlvl barbarian, ONE maxlvl sorc etc. that can just be respecced and re-equipped whenever you feel like.

Oh well. No beta here either so I guess I have to wait and see until I play it to really see how the new system works. Some old school D2 players seem to really like the changes, and others don't as you would expect... Though it's certainly true that the old skill trees were quite flawed, leading to one or two cookie-cutter builds per class.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 4, 2011, 06:41 peteham

Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:26:
Will It Blend? Xbox 360 Kinect

Finally something fun to do with the Kinect.
Though it was about as short-lived as every other Kinect title out there

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Renegade Ops
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Renegade Ops Oct 27, 2011, 05:12 peteham

KTR wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 23:55:
Sadly, the game doesn't work on anything except a quad core cpu. Thankfully, there is a temp community fix.
Heh, would that be the reason why the PC release was delayed at least twice, with no word? The loons over at the steam forums have been demanding a thousand free games as compensation for over a week already.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
35. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 25, 2011, 04:30 peteham

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:01:
I don't know maybe it's me... But they state xxx game with get a % boost, why is that? I get in the past a few changes, but what are they doing to a single game to make it faster? Are they cheating? Why didn't the developer code it so it worked as smooth as other released games that already had the % boost. I think so much of this is PR blah blah, could be wrong a bit on this one.
Depends on how you define cheating? Game-specific driver optimizations, tweaks and fixes is nothing new. It may have been something of a scandal back in the quack.exe days, but now it's more or less taken for granted.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Web Series Begins
11. Re: Dragon Age II Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:10 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 19:31:
That and Merils dialog - annoying as hell she was, but if you survived here nagging she added some awesome situational hilarious comedy gold - like when you try to lure away some guards screaming fire fire and meril asks "What, a fire, where?" and your character replies "There is no fire meril, i am trying to trick those guards" and she goes "oh.......... *awkward pause" ooooooh...."
I didn't use Merril much because Anders was the only usable healer, so I unfortunately missed that bit. And what a shame that was, because that quote, right there, is officially better than the entire rest of the game

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
48. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 03:45 peteham

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 12:48:
If it's simple coop where your friends can control your allies, but are tethered to the main player, it should be fine and fun. But if they actually tried to make a competitive multiplayer mode... yikes.

From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.
So it looks as if this coop stuff will be a completely detached affair.. I'm mostly fine with that to be honest. At least it lends some credibility to their claims that MP didn't affect SP (as there's no way in hell you can integrate co-op into the SP missions without making some concessions, it would among other things rule out any solo missions like the Arrival DLC).. But I don't really care how they spin it: Even though a completely separate team built the MP like they claim, it's still time and effort that could've been spent improving the SP campaign instead.

Not to say that these co-op missions won't provide a bit of fun, but ultimately I think they're mostly going for that extra bullet-point on the back of the box..

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2011, 11:22 peteham

Re: The Internet Reacts to the Death of Steve Jobs, one can only hope thousands of rabid Apple fanbois are en route to purge the taint of Margie Phelps and her lunatic inbred friends from this world as we speak...  

News Comments > Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures
37. Re: Unlock RAGE Hi-Rez Textures Oct 5, 2011, 17:32 peteham

LOL, I'd say the decision to run at 60fps might have not been a good one, assuming this was one of the trade-offs

Based on the animated gif of 4k/8k/auto from that scene, auto and 4k look so bad I basically consider it unacceptable. Since 8k supposedly requires 1.5GB and my GTX 570 only has 1.2, that basically rules me out. While I'm sure this is one of the more glaring examples they could find (one would hope), it's still made my desire for this game go from lukewarm to cold. And with the addition of texture pop-in like in this youtube video I can see where all the rage is coming from. No pun intended.

I'll put this on hold until the inevitable Steam-sale...

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 "Killer New Feature" Coming
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 "Killer New Feature" Coming Oct 1, 2011, 18:23 peteham

Sad to say, but this probably ain't good, whatever it is...

Your's truly,
Sherlock

News Comments > Renegade X: Beyond Black Dawn
7. Re: Renegade X: Beyond Black Dawn Sep 28, 2011, 19:09 peteham

Lobster wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 14:32:
C&C Renegade was woefully underrated. Multiplayer was a ton of fun and there's been nothing like it before or since.

Nothing like running over a line of enemies with a cloaked stealth tank.
And it had the most delightfully cheesy badass quotes from Havoc. From memory (bear with me, it's literally been almost a decade since I played it):

Woman on comms: Havoc, you're really going to take on the whole ship's crew by yourself?
Havoc: Doesn't seem fair, does it? Maybe I'll shoot left-handed.

badum tish!

Maybe I should give it a replay one of these days

Edit: Good grief, I take that back.. Just watched a gameplay vid on Youtube..

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2011, 19:19.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Buggy in Steam Renegade Ops
16. Re: Half-Life 2 Buggy in Steam Renegade Ops Sep 27, 2011, 07:10 peteham

Already pre-ordered the Steam-version even though I technically decided to stop doing pre-orders on general principle

There's a Quicklook of it on Giantbomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-renegade-ops/17-4885/

Seems like a real blast (from the arcade past, hurr). Can't wait to play it. I considered the console version for a while (for TV & couch co-op), but landed on Steam in the end.. Might grab the console version later if the need should arise. Based on GB's QL, the game looked a bit choppy on console with multiple players and explosions, so the PC version should definitely be the way to go with this. Unless it turns out to suffer from a bit of From Dust.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2011, 04:38 peteham

Alamar wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 18:11:
peteham wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 11:31:
The new direction for D3 also leads me to believe that more of the endgame will be built around dinging maxlevel and staying there, like WoW.. I guess we'll see..

How so?

-Alamar
The maxlevel has dropped to 60 (from 99, which granted doesn't necessarily mean anything in and of itself). Blizz have stated they want the 1-60 curve to fit with one complete playthrough of normal->nightmare->hell, so depending on how thoroughly you clear dungeons, how much you backtrack from waypoints etc, you should be 60 or pretty damn close when finishing the game on hell difficulty.

Compare this to D2 (exp) where the max level was 99 and you'd typically find yourself somewhere just above 70 when finishing your first hell playthrough. So when you then moved over to runs, you'd still have a small bit of character power-up going on aside from gear (granted, you'd already have your main skills maxed by then). In D3 though, leveling will be completely out of the equation during this phase of the game. You'll have unlocked every skill/tier and can basically assume any spec you want on that char, so the only way to evolve that character will be through loot. This makes me a bit worried that the optimal way to play the endgame is going to be respecs and gear switches at every turn due to resistances/immunities or whatever else.

Nobody really knows yet what Blizz is planning for the endgame, AFAIK (have they released more info on this lately?). They've specifically stated in previous interviews that they want the endgame to be about more than just endless meph/baal/pindle-runs. There's been talks of WOW-style achievements or challenges and whatnot.. If the game comes out and has faction rep, I'm going to rage like a 14 year old There's also apparently going to be an additional difficulty on top of hell, called inferno, which could prove to be quite a lot of fun and probably where I'll spend most of my end-game time (based on what I know so far).

On the bright side, I'm happy they erased magic find gear.. I'll finally be able to use some of that high quality gear I find, for once

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2011, 04:50.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2011, 11:31 peteham

Haven't played the beta, and haven't really kept up with the new info since it started either, but only barb and sorc really look interesting to me at the moment. Sadly this sentiment is shared among the group of friends I'll be playing with, but at least there's individual loot now.. I might go Witchdoc assuming no-pet builds look viable, simply based on the fact that I find it boring to play what everyone else is playing. I agree regarding the Demon Hunter, it just looks a bit dull to play..

I think I'll miss the old skill system that didn't allow you to respec "willy-nilly". I'm generally a fan of changes that reduce or remove tedious tasks like grinding or inventory/encumberance management, but the best part of D2 was rolling loads of new characters to try different builds, and the satisfaction as they gradually powered up while you pumped points into their core skills. Also finding some great item while playing one char, and basing new chars off those items. Build a chain lightning sorc around some +2/+3 staff I found, which turned out to be the most fearsome normal/nightmare clearer I've ever played, but completely worthless at Hell (this 1.09, i.e. no synergies yet). The new direction for D3 also leads me to believe that more of the endgame will be built around dinging maxlevel and staying there, like WoW.. I guess we'll see..

News Comments > Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com
7. Re: Wing Commander 3 on GOG.com Sep 13, 2011, 12:22 peteham

pursue a romantic relationship with a fellow pilot dancing on the razor’s edge.
Oh man, this whole ordeal left an impact-crater on this young man's soul back then

News Comments > Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience"
5. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a Sep 11, 2011, 13:44 peteham

Fletch wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 13:36:
A FPS with the Syndicate name is NOT a Syndicate remake. It's a completely different game, just like the new X-com is a completely different game.
What I don't really get is what they get out of making a sequel like this.. Surely the target audience of this "visceral fps" will barely even have heard of the original, whereas those who still remember the original game won't exactly be all that enthusiastic about the new direction? I guess there's a suit somewhere who figures some brand recognition is better than none...

News Comments > Diablo III Public Beta "Very Close"
30. Re: Diablo III Public Beta Sep 7, 2011, 17:30 peteham

Than wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 14:46:
Indeed. The 3.5 hours was only for what was available in the beta. It *might* be the entire first act, but I suspect it's probably a subset of the first act.
It was the same deal for the Diablo 2 Open Beta as well.. You could go as far as Blood Raven, but no further, which accounted for at most 1/5 of Act 1. No idea how long D3 acts will be by comparison, though.

578 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo