Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 596 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 8, 2012, 12:42 peteham

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 12:09:
I guess in some esotheric, purely theoretical way the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, but in reality it's the other way around. Sony's stupid memory sharing system is murdering the latest games to come out on their platform.

Creston
If nothing else, it's a testament to the superb job Sony's marketing department did with the whole "Power of Cell" deal.. Despite real world performance saying otherwise for pretty much every single cross-platform game this generation, and certain well-respected developers even commenting on the PS3's architectural short-comings, people are still convinced the PS3 is the superior system. Some of that can probably be attributed to the PS3 being a portmachine, and sure, the platform exclusives are fairly impressive for such old hardware, but that's probably more a testament to developer skill and time-investment than a sign of solid hardware.. How many games has the Sony studio responsible for God of War 3 managed to crank out this generation? That's right: ONE.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
52. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:06 peteham

Who knows, maybe certain big companies will start to see how increasingly expensive it's going to be to transition in and out of new console generations moving forward; and the hassles of attempting to bring the customer base over to their new flagship every few years.. A return to the good old constantly changing PC model, anyone?

A somewhat standardized "PC" with excellent driver support and testing, while still maintaining today's support for diverse hardware, could be a great thing.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
37. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 18:27 peteham

Bhruic wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 02:54:
That's the big thing that's changed. For the first time, the galaxy KNOWS the Reapers are coming (though in typical political horseshittery most of them would rather bury their heads in the sand, which is exactly what WOULD happen), and for the first time they are able to unite and fight them together.

That's certainly plausible, but the Protheans were more technologically advanced than any of the races around now. But when the Reapers hit a planet, that planet was wasted in an extremely short time period. The idea that "Earth is holding out" is just silly. The Reapers would show up, Earth would be toast in a week - if it took that long - and they'd move on.

I don't mind the idea of trying to unite against them (although even then, the chances of beating them should be small - well, except we have Shepherd!), but this idea that we're going to somehow "save" the Earth is pretty bogus.

I dunno, maybe there's more to it than the demo suggested, but the Reapers didn't seem to be doing as much damage as we'd been lead to believe they could.
The reapers are probably trying to limit the destruction in order to keep most of their cattle alive. If they simply popped around to nuke earth from orbit, then I agree, there wouldn't have been much to come back to based on what Sovereign was able to do on his own (and to be fair, with some assistance from a geth fleet). I also assume they don't have dozens/hundreds of collector bases parked around the galaxy ready to go, so it might take them months/years to get proper "incubator infrastructure" in place etc. There are at least some justifications for why there could still be something/someone to come back and save, and I'm sure the Bioware writers have been able to solve it fairly intelligently. Keeping in mind that story arc conclusions always tend to be somewhat anti-climactic.

For now, I'm at least relieved to see they seem to be going for a massive fleet battle conclusion.. It would've sucked if Jeff Goldblum made a guest appearance and uploaded a virus to the Reaper central computer using his laptop and null modem cable...

Thinking I'm going to cave and buy the N7 version on GMG.....

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 10:53 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 00:47:
I would give them my money, but it seems i already preordered, preloaded and prepared (hah)

Also PC N7 DDE has From Ashes included

http://i.imgur.com/prRFX.jpg
And did I understand you correctly in the other thread that you've ordered this on GMG? Seeing as how this is £10 cheaper than the Origin version (in fact only marginally more expensive than the standard origin version here), AND assuming it includes Ashes, that and the trailer might kill my self-control and original intention of waiting for the bargain bin, hah...

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
65. Re: Question! Mar 1, 2012, 03:56 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 03:48:
I'm pretty sure there is no Digital Deluxe version of ME3 for consoles, since consoles don't offer digital distribution of brand new games.
It seems it will be available through PSN. Not sure about Xbox Marketplace, but wouldn't surprise me if it's available digitally there as well.

64. Re: Question! Mar 1, 2012, 03:49 peteham

I didn't include my original question so it might have been hard to see from my original post, but I was asking specifically about the PC Digital Deluxe edition, not the CE, so that's probably all the support rep is commenting on. That is, the physical CE versions likely include Ashes on all platforms, but only the Xbox and PS3 versions of the Digital Deluxe version do. At least that's how I read it.

We'll see in a week's time I guess. I'm going to wait this one out for a year or so anyway, much as it pains me since I love the Mass Effect series

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Revelations: The Lost Archive
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Revelations: The Lost Archive Feb 29, 2012, 07:47 peteham

two hours of all-new content using the innovative narration style and puzzle-platforming gameplay pioneered in the present-day Desmond sequences of Assassin’s Creed® Revelations
Innovative? Is that their name for it now? I'm assuming they're referring to the block-puzzle snoozefest I only suffered through because of the minor bits of exposition, and because I'm a compulsive completionist..

57. Re: Question! Feb 29, 2012, 07:31 peteham

Hilarious update ensues.. I asked EA support directly. Here's the reply:

"Please allow me to share that 'Ashes DLC' is available with Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition for Xbox and Ps3. It is not available for PC version."

So there you have it, guys.. Apparently no Ashes with the PC version. Though, to make me feel better, they kindly provided me with a 15% discount code for Origin - which alas cannot be used for pre-orders or new releases. But at least it's valid until the last day of the calendar month.. Which happens to be.. Uh.. Today..

I swear, I'm not making this up
Thanks, EA!

53. Re: Question! Feb 28, 2012, 15:36 peteham

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:07:
So much for EA "promoting" digital, when they put more goodies into the actual box.
Well they certainly are over here. Digital Deluxe is $107, CE boxed is $143 most places

The DLC confusion surrounding this game is insane. Does the Digital Deluxe version include Ashes? Is that also the case when not bought directly through Origin? Bang up job by EA there, as evident by the people asking on forums everywhere. It's hard to be sure with the 10.000 different descriptions they're throwing around based on locale and outlet, but this tweet by Casey Hudson seems to confirm that it is indeed included: http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/status/172724931149303809

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
32. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 peteham

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:43:
With Diablo 3 - once you beat Nightmare - you then end up with Inferno. That'll have a flat difficulty level (and rare drop rate) ACROSS the whole game! IE: If you want to farm whatever, you could farm any boss in Act 1, and you'll have the same chance to find that rare (and the same level of difficulty) as if you were farming a boss in Act 4!
My worry regarding this system, as I've said in previous threads, is that we might end up having to constantly respec and swap equipment, granted, it depends on how difficult Inferno really is.. It goes without saying that I enjoyed minmaxing D2

For instance, "this boss hits really hard, better respec and put on some gear with high AR".. Or "these dudes go into a frenzy if you don't kill them quickly, better respec to dps mode" etc. The less often I'd have to do that for a playthrough, the better. Other than that, I'm mostly all for this new flexibility. It was just annoying in D2 when you went with sword specialization as a barb, then later found a really sweet axe Not to mention that your first couple of characters were pretty much guaranteed to be gimpy, since there was no way of knowing that the fireball spell which worked great at early levels, would become completely useless 10-15 levels later, even after you'd permanently wasted 15 more skillpoints on it.

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 12:50 peteham

Deleted. Wrong edit button Blush  

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 peteham

Kastagir wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:40:
Preorders are where Bioware/EA make their money now. This is because once the game is out, everyone sees how bad it is, with or without the "awesome button." I'm dismayed that people still haven't realized this after Dragon Age 2.
Yawn. The so-called "awesome-button" of DA2 had extremely little to do with the game being so bad. And I seriously doubt ME3 will be equally terrible. The demo was promising for being mostly a tutorial mission. The impression I got was that it should play like ME2 with some more customization options.. Without reaching ME1 levels of total tedium with that pointless loot and inventory-system.

I still won't get to play it in ages, though, thanks to their clever new DLC scheme. While the DLC itself probably won't be on sale for the next couple of decades, at least I should be able to pick up the boxed copy for cheap eventually.. I actually did manage to pick up all ME2 DLCs with the exception of Arrival (which wasn't out yet) for 200 MS points each during their one-day xmas sale a year or two back, but I wouldn't count on something like that happening again.. Plus I want the PC version now that there's a working save-game converter.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 22, 2012, 16:44 peteham

Bleh. I love this series, but pre-order cancelled. I had somehow managed to miss out on the N7 edition apparently including something more substantial than soundtrack, hoodie and robot dog There's no way I'm paying the $159 it costs over here (or $105 for the digital deluxe edition from Origin), on general principle. Nor am I going to buy into their obvious "pay a little more for the full game" DLC scheme.

See ya in the bargain bin 12 months down the road, ME3...

Edit: Christ, I just went ahead and spoiled myself... That's a pretty huge thing to be leaving out of the core game, and a far cry from something as peripheral as Zaeed the Mercenary. NO-ONE who's been in for the ride since ME1 is going to want to miss out on this; and they just blatantly pull it out of the game and sell it separately.

Way to not just cross the line, but overshoot it by lightyears. Fucking EA.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2012, 18:54.

News Comments > ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews
3. Re: ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews Feb 22, 2012, 05:58 peteham

Jensen wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 01:11:
There are already a lot of FPS games with full-featured level editors. I'd rather Nadeo give more modding capability to Trackmania... custom blocks and car handling models. It would be cool if modders could create new environments.
No disagreement about moddability.. It would be cool if modders could create their own environments indeed.

But to be fair, assuming Shootmania has the same characteristics as Trackmania, which should be a safe assumption as it's supposedly the same engine, then just about anyone will be able to instantly jump into Shootmania's editor and build something that works and plays at least OK. By comparison, getting started with something like UDK or Hammer requires hours of investment to even get a simple boxmap running. You'll have vastly more power to create exactly what you want, but that's also reflected in the time you're going to have to invest to even get started, let alone finish a project. You will never see thousands of maps for other FPSs, which is what you can expect from Shootmania. There's also the matter of filesize, where the Trackmania engine model allows for maps small enough that if the player doesn't have it, it's just fetched from the server during the mapswitch without the player even noticing. This is pretty key for a system built around there being hundreds of thousands of player-created maps.

My main skepticism with regards to Shootmania aside from their ability to nail the gameplay itself, though, is that I'm not sure Trackmania-like map-variety is something that really works for FPS. Look at CS for instance; they've been playing mainly de_dust for a decade. Players like playing the same old maps over and over again, and learning a new FPS maps can be something of a chore. Imagine the Trackmania world where you can barely find a server with a map you've played before, and apply it to FPS.

I'd also argue that building a good FPS map is considerably harder than building a racing track. FPS multiplayer-maps take a lot of polishing and balancing to get right, and when you (presumably) have little control over the finer points of the map due to using large prefab tiles (i.e. you can't just carve out a new doorway through a wall to make a power-up more easily-accessible as a result of playtesting), that could be hard to achieve. While 5 minutes on a bad racing track can be tolerable, 5 minutes on an atrocious FPS map will make people leave servers faster than you can say "Next map please!".

I'll keep half an eye on this, but I'm not expecting it to be very successful.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 19:30 peteham

eunichron wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 16:46:
My main complaint is that usually they just detract from the game. I recently started FFXIII-2, and while I'm enjoying it, the QTEs are ridiculously bad. They happen during key cinematics that I want to watch not play, and the button prompts are so large that they cover up half the screen, blocking the cinematic for the duration of the cue.

For short, Arkham Asylum/Arkham City: QTE done right; FFXIII-2: QTE done horribly wrong.
I rather liked that Witcher 2 had separate difficulty settings for QTEs and the game itself. Of course, the even better option would be to let me disable QTEs all together, but making them incredibly easy serves almost just as well I suppose. As you say, I want to watch cutscenes, not "play" them. QTEs are why I have a love-hate relationship with the God of War series. I have no idea how I managed to get through Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) and enjoy it too, once upon a time. That game was pure QTEs from start to finish.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Footage
13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Footage Jan 21, 2012, 13:10 peteham

Funny you'd mention WC, since Freddie Prinze Jr. starred as Blair in the horrible trainwreck of a movie

http://www.giantbomb.com/tang-wing-commander/17-1128/

News Comments > Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY
26. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 03:30 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:02:
The only PC-exclusive nomination for any award was Minecraft. Witcher 2 should have at least been nominated for Best RPG, Best Graphics and Best PC Game. But again, it's all about hype and marketing.
And instead of Witcher 2 even getting nominated, they had Dragon Age 2 in the top5. Uh, yeah... Those two games weren't even in the same league.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 04:06 peteham

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:32:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:13:
I wish the dragon encounters weren't so routine. Instead of having you fight 100 weak dragons, they should have only made a handful of epic level dragons.
Run into an elder bronze yet? At level 40 it chewed me up and one shot me repeatedly.
And these are randomly appearing ones? I'm not that far into the game yet (mid 20s now), but getting one-shot by random encounters sounds somewhat annoying, and a repeat of Oblivion's horrible level-scaling.

Anyway, I tend to agree with Jerykk based on what I've seen of the game so far. Dragons are starting to give me Oblivion-gate deja-vu. The first one I fought was epic (aka hid inside the tower while the guards finished it off), the next couple of dragons were still scary as well, especially the one that ganked me enroute to High Hrothgar. Basically NO places to hide on that narrow path. Sumbitch even ate my horse while I was frantically trying to heal behind a small rock

But now, after having killed 10+ random ones, they're quickly becoming routine/flying upgrade points. Hearing a dragon roar in the distance was a huge tension-builder early in the game, but that's starting to dissipate fast, now. Even though the type of dragons has changed with my level, the difficulty has remained more or less constant, and the pattern of taking one down is always the same. DISCLAIMER: I haven't fought any named ones yet though (with the exception of the very first one), so I'm assuming those will be more epic and considerably harder.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want randomly appearing super-bossses either, ref. my initial comment about elder bronzes and potential one-shotting. But at present it feels like the random/lesser dragons should appear about 3-4 times less often than they do now.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
92. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 18, 2011, 04:25 peteham

I'm at work so I can't check, but I assume that like everything else these days, your savegames are stored in your profile folder anyway, so that once you install the legit version, they'll show up automatically.

As for achievements, I don't really know but I seriously doubt it.. You probably need steam running when they trigger.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
81. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:31 peteham

Absolutely loving the game so far.. It has many of the same issues as Oblivion but it doesn't detract from the overall experience.. And I have to say, it looks absolutely amazing. Maybe not in an "omdjee this is the highest texture rez I've evar seen!11" way, but the overall art design, landscapes and small details has been amazing so far. Good on them for shipping 7 mill units; proves that you don't need cheap tacked-on multiplayer to move your game if it's good.

Btw, I'm currently playing as a 2h dude.. Does anyone know if the blocking perks like quick reflexed (i.e. ones that don't specifically mention shields) work for blocking with a 2h weapon? Haven't wanted to risk putting points in that tree yet even though 2h blocking certainly improves your blocking skill, so I have 6-7 points saved up at this point

596 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo