Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 567 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
32. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 peteham

Hammer wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 20:43:
With Diablo 3 - once you beat Nightmare - you then end up with Inferno. That'll have a flat difficulty level (and rare drop rate) ACROSS the whole game! IE: If you want to farm whatever, you could farm any boss in Act 1, and you'll have the same chance to find that rare (and the same level of difficulty) as if you were farming a boss in Act 4!
My worry regarding this system, as I've said in previous threads, is that we might end up having to constantly respec and swap equipment, granted, it depends on how difficult Inferno really is.. It goes without saying that I enjoyed minmaxing D2

For instance, "this boss hits really hard, better respec and put on some gear with high AR".. Or "these dudes go into a frenzy if you don't kill them quickly, better respec to dps mode" etc. The less often I'd have to do that for a playthrough, the better. Other than that, I'm mostly all for this new flexibility. It was just annoying in D2 when you went with sword specialization as a barb, then later found a really sweet axe Not to mention that your first couple of characters were pretty much guaranteed to be gimpy, since there was no way of knowing that the fireball spell which worked great at early levels, would become completely useless 10-15 levels later, even after you'd permanently wasted 15 more skillpoints on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
14. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 12:50 peteham

Deleted. Wrong edit button Blush  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 peteham

Kastagir wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 12:40:
Preorders are where Bioware/EA make their money now. This is because once the game is out, everyone sees how bad it is, with or without the "awesome button." I'm dismayed that people still haven't realized this after Dragon Age 2.
Yawn. The so-called "awesome-button" of DA2 had extremely little to do with the game being so bad. And I seriously doubt ME3 will be equally terrible. The demo was promising for being mostly a tutorial mission. The impression I got was that it should play like ME2 with some more customization options.. Without reaching ME1 levels of total tedium with that pointless loot and inventory-system.

I still won't get to play it in ages, though, thanks to their clever new DLC scheme. While the DLC itself probably won't be on sale for the next couple of decades, at least I should be able to pick up the boxed copy for cheap eventually.. I actually did manage to pick up all ME2 DLCs with the exception of Arrival (which wasn't out yet) for 200 MS points each during their one-day xmas sale a year or two back, but I wouldn't count on something like that happening again.. Plus I want the PC version now that there's a working save-game converter.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 22, 2012, 16:44 peteham

Bleh. I love this series, but pre-order cancelled. I had somehow managed to miss out on the N7 edition apparently including something more substantial than soundtrack, hoodie and robot dog There's no way I'm paying the $159 it costs over here (or $105 for the digital deluxe edition from Origin), on general principle. Nor am I going to buy into their obvious "pay a little more for the full game" DLC scheme.

See ya in the bargain bin 12 months down the road, ME3...

Edit: Christ, I just went ahead and spoiled myself... That's a pretty huge thing to be leaving out of the core game, and a far cry from something as peripheral as Zaeed the Mercenary. NO-ONE who's been in for the ride since ME1 is going to want to miss out on this; and they just blatantly pull it out of the game and sell it separately.

Way to not just cross the line, but overshoot it by lightyears. Fucking EA.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2012, 18:54.

News Comments > ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews
3. Re: ShootMania Storm This Year; Screenshots; Previews Feb 22, 2012, 05:58 peteham

Jensen wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 01:11:
There are already a lot of FPS games with full-featured level editors. I'd rather Nadeo give more modding capability to Trackmania... custom blocks and car handling models. It would be cool if modders could create new environments.
No disagreement about moddability.. It would be cool if modders could create their own environments indeed.

But to be fair, assuming Shootmania has the same characteristics as Trackmania, which should be a safe assumption as it's supposedly the same engine, then just about anyone will be able to instantly jump into Shootmania's editor and build something that works and plays at least OK. By comparison, getting started with something like UDK or Hammer requires hours of investment to even get a simple boxmap running. You'll have vastly more power to create exactly what you want, but that's also reflected in the time you're going to have to invest to even get started, let alone finish a project. You will never see thousands of maps for other FPSs, which is what you can expect from Shootmania. There's also the matter of filesize, where the Trackmania engine model allows for maps small enough that if the player doesn't have it, it's just fetched from the server during the mapswitch without the player even noticing. This is pretty key for a system built around there being hundreds of thousands of player-created maps.

My main skepticism with regards to Shootmania aside from their ability to nail the gameplay itself, though, is that I'm not sure Trackmania-like map-variety is something that really works for FPS. Look at CS for instance; they've been playing mainly de_dust for a decade. Players like playing the same old maps over and over again, and learning a new FPS maps can be something of a chore. Imagine the Trackmania world where you can barely find a server with a map you've played before, and apply it to FPS.

I'd also argue that building a good FPS map is considerably harder than building a racing track. FPS multiplayer-maps take a lot of polishing and balancing to get right, and when you (presumably) have little control over the finer points of the map due to using large prefab tiles (i.e. you can't just carve out a new doorway through a wall to make a power-up more easily-accessible as a result of playtesting), that could be hard to achieve. While 5 minutes on a bad racing track can be tolerable, 5 minutes on an atrocious FPS map will make people leave servers faster than you can say "Next map please!".

I'll keep half an eye on this, but I'm not expecting it to be very successful.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 19:30 peteham

eunichron wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 16:46:
My main complaint is that usually they just detract from the game. I recently started FFXIII-2, and while I'm enjoying it, the QTEs are ridiculously bad. They happen during key cinematics that I want to watch not play, and the button prompts are so large that they cover up half the screen, blocking the cinematic for the duration of the cue.

For short, Arkham Asylum/Arkham City: QTE done right; FFXIII-2: QTE done horribly wrong.
I rather liked that Witcher 2 had separate difficulty settings for QTEs and the game itself. Of course, the even better option would be to let me disable QTEs all together, but making them incredibly easy serves almost just as well I suppose. As you say, I want to watch cutscenes, not "play" them. QTEs are why I have a love-hate relationship with the God of War series. I have no idea how I managed to get through Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) and enjoy it too, once upon a time. That game was pure QTEs from start to finish.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Footage
13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Footage Jan 21, 2012, 13:10 peteham

Funny you'd mention WC, since Freddie Prinze Jr. starred as Blair in the horrible trainwreck of a movie

http://www.giantbomb.com/tang-wing-commander/17-1128/

News Comments > Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY
26. Re: Skyrim is Spike's 2011 GotY Dec 12, 2011, 03:30 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 22:02:
The only PC-exclusive nomination for any award was Minecraft. Witcher 2 should have at least been nominated for Best RPG, Best Graphics and Best PC Game. But again, it's all about hype and marketing.
And instead of Witcher 2 even getting nominated, they had Dragon Age 2 in the top5. Uh, yeah... Those two games weren't even in the same league.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 21, 2011, 04:06 peteham

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:32:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 02:13:
I wish the dragon encounters weren't so routine. Instead of having you fight 100 weak dragons, they should have only made a handful of epic level dragons.
Run into an elder bronze yet? At level 40 it chewed me up and one shot me repeatedly.
And these are randomly appearing ones? I'm not that far into the game yet (mid 20s now), but getting one-shot by random encounters sounds somewhat annoying, and a repeat of Oblivion's horrible level-scaling.

Anyway, I tend to agree with Jerykk based on what I've seen of the game so far. Dragons are starting to give me Oblivion-gate deja-vu. The first one I fought was epic (aka hid inside the tower while the guards finished it off), the next couple of dragons were still scary as well, especially the one that ganked me enroute to High Hrothgar. Basically NO places to hide on that narrow path. Sumbitch even ate my horse while I was frantically trying to heal behind a small rock

But now, after having killed 10+ random ones, they're quickly becoming routine/flying upgrade points. Hearing a dragon roar in the distance was a huge tension-builder early in the game, but that's starting to dissipate fast, now. Even though the type of dragons has changed with my level, the difficulty has remained more or less constant, and the pattern of taking one down is always the same. DISCLAIMER: I haven't fought any named ones yet though (with the exception of the very first one), so I'm assuming those will be more epic and considerably harder.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want randomly appearing super-bossses either, ref. my initial comment about elder bronzes and potential one-shotting. But at present it feels like the random/lesser dragons should appear about 3-4 times less often than they do now.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
92. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 18, 2011, 04:25 peteham

I'm at work so I can't check, but I assume that like everything else these days, your savegames are stored in your profile folder anyway, so that once you install the legit version, they'll show up automatically.

As for achievements, I don't really know but I seriously doubt it.. You probably need steam running when they trigger.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 7M
81. Re: Skyrim Ships 7M Nov 17, 2011, 13:31 peteham

Absolutely loving the game so far.. It has many of the same issues as Oblivion but it doesn't detract from the overall experience.. And I have to say, it looks absolutely amazing. Maybe not in an "omdjee this is the highest texture rez I've evar seen!11" way, but the overall art design, landscapes and small details has been amazing so far. Good on them for shipping 7 mill units; proves that you don't need cheap tacked-on multiplayer to move your game if it's good.

Btw, I'm currently playing as a 2h dude.. Does anyone know if the blocking perks like quick reflexed (i.e. ones that don't specifically mention shields) work for blocking with a 2h weapon? Haven't wanted to risk putting points in that tree yet even though 2h blocking certainly improves your blocking skill, so I have 6-7 points saved up at this point

News Comments > Skyrim to Offer "Infinite Quests"
16. Re: Skyrim to Offer Nov 9, 2011, 11:17 peteham

Ratty wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 10:33:
CommunistHamster wrote on Nov 9, 2011, 10:30:
A good procedural game would be a first (besides DF). That kind of innovation is sorely lacking in gaming today, for the last few years it's just been graphics and casualisation innovations.
There was Hellgate: London.
I believe the wording he used was good procedural game

News Comments > Skyrim Preloads; Diary
14. Re: Skyrim Preloads; Diary Nov 9, 2011, 04:50 peteham

I just arranged to have Friday off. The game better unlock early in the morning in europe.. Guess I'll bring my work laptop home with me so I can clock some hours (while raging) in case it doesn't  

News Comments > Diablo III Beta Wipe
4. Re: Diablo III Beta Wipe Nov 5, 2011, 05:37 peteham

JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 5, 2011, 00:54:
Will you be able to respec?

Are certain classes still sex specific? *rogues being female only, for example*
All classes were gender specific in the previous games. D3 lets you choose for all of them. As far as respeccing goes, it seems they just made it require a trip to town rather than something you can do anywhere at any time. While I lack a certain other bluesnewser's fetish for complete tedium in my games *ahem*, I'd like to see them experiment with an added fee as well ;-P It could start out really cheap, to give you an easy way to remedy your early poor choices when you don't know up from down, but with an increasing rate for repeated respecs like WoW.. It just seems like a good idea to at least give some weight to your skill choices, and also giving people more reason to roll multiple characters to try out different builds and such rather than just needing ONE maxlvl barbarian, ONE maxlvl sorc etc. that can just be respecced and re-equipped whenever you feel like.

Oh well. No beta here either so I guess I have to wait and see until I play it to really see how the new system works. Some old school D2 players seem to really like the changes, and others don't as you would expect... Though it's certainly true that the old skill trees were quite flawed, leading to one or two cookie-cutter builds per class.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 4, 2011, 06:41 peteham

Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:26:
Will It Blend? Xbox 360 Kinect

Finally something fun to do with the Kinect.
Though it was about as short-lived as every other Kinect title out there

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Renegade Ops
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Renegade Ops Oct 27, 2011, 05:12 peteham

KTR wrote on Oct 26, 2011, 23:55:
Sadly, the game doesn't work on anything except a quad core cpu. Thankfully, there is a temp community fix.
Heh, would that be the reason why the PC release was delayed at least twice, with no word? The loons over at the steam forums have been demanding a thousand free games as compensation for over a week already.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
35. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Oct 25, 2011, 04:30 peteham

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 18:01:
I don't know maybe it's me... But they state xxx game with get a % boost, why is that? I get in the past a few changes, but what are they doing to a single game to make it faster? Are they cheating? Why didn't the developer code it so it worked as smooth as other released games that already had the % boost. I think so much of this is PR blah blah, could be wrong a bit on this one.
Depends on how you define cheating? Game-specific driver optimizations, tweaks and fixes is nothing new. It may have been something of a scandal back in the quack.exe days, but now it's more or less taken for granted.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Web Series Begins
11. Re: Dragon Age II Web Series Begins Oct 12, 2011, 04:10 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 19:31:
That and Merils dialog - annoying as hell she was, but if you survived here nagging she added some awesome situational hilarious comedy gold - like when you try to lure away some guards screaming fire fire and meril asks "What, a fire, where?" and your character replies "There is no fire meril, i am trying to trick those guards" and she goes "oh.......... *awkward pause" ooooooh...."
I didn't use Merril much because Anders was the only usable healer, so I unfortunately missed that bit. And what a shame that was, because that quote, right there, is officially better than the entire rest of the game

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed
48. Re: Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Confirmed Oct 11, 2011, 03:45 peteham

Kythlyn wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 12:48:
If it's simple coop where your friends can control your allies, but are tethered to the main player, it should be fine and fun. But if they actually tried to make a competitive multiplayer mode... yikes.

From http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard’s part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara…these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more… each with their own unique set of abilities.
So it looks as if this coop stuff will be a completely detached affair.. I'm mostly fine with that to be honest. At least it lends some credibility to their claims that MP didn't affect SP (as there's no way in hell you can integrate co-op into the SP missions without making some concessions, it would among other things rule out any solo missions like the Arrival DLC).. But I don't really care how they spin it: Even though a completely separate team built the MP like they claim, it's still time and effort that could've been spent improving the SP campaign instead.

Not to say that these co-op missions won't provide a bit of fun, but ultimately I think they're mostly going for that extra bullet-point on the back of the box..

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2011, 11:22 peteham

Re: The Internet Reacts to the Death of Steve Jobs, one can only hope thousands of rabid Apple fanbois are en route to purge the taint of Margie Phelps and her lunatic inbred friends from this world as we speak...  

567 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo