Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 580 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced Aug 3, 2012, 14:36 peteham

If the quality of this turns out to be on par with ME2's DLC, I'll be picking it in a year's time for my eventual replay. Should be one or two more out by then as well unless this one bombs. Or so I assume.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
19. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:44 peteham

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:58:
I don't mind multiplatform, but more Gamebryo shit? Damn.
Maybe we'll get another RAGE engine game?

All I know is, if it's Gamebryo based, they're going to have to improve the "feel" of it tremendously for it to be playable as a pure FPS. At least if the Fallout games are any indication. Horrible, horrible shooter mechanics, but at least there, you had VATS.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 16:36 peteham

Been watching some of Sacriel's DayZ videos on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/sacriel42) after someone here posted a link in a previous thread.. I have to say it looks like tonnes of fun what with sniping requiring some attention to ballistics, range-finding and such, and the constant need for resources forcing people to stay on the move. I also like the lack of friend/foe markers and how confused firefights can sometimes get when your squad is spread out and you don't automagically see this information on screen, requiring constant communication like it would in real life. "Do we have someone in the tree-line? DO WE HAVE SOMEONE IN THE TREE-LINE?? I'm taking the shot now!" etc.. Nice stuff.

The major caveat of course, being that you seem to need a squad to get the most out of it. I don't think it looks like much fun if you're on your own.

And too bad about the apparent rampant cheating and duping.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2012, 16:42.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 17:43 peteham

While the re-certification fee seems ludicrous, it's not as if Fish went into this completely blind. All of this stuff would've been in the contract, yet he took the deal for XBLA exclusivity. He was also quite vocal about Fez being a console game, yet suddenly PC and the ease of patching on Steam is preferable after all? Hah.  

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
91. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 21, 2012, 11:02 peteham

Verno wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 10:28:
Attempting to get back on topic after Krovven's usual trolling:

Mike says that they are buffing legendary items in ways that players aren't anticipating, I hope hes being sincere. I want silly shit like "on hit summons 2 skeletons" or "10% chance to cast Meteor at target" type stuff. The game has enough bullshit Slightly Increment Numbers modifiers already. It's an instanced action RPG, they don't need to worry about balance other than making sure everyone can kill shit. There's a reason people liked +skill items in Diablo 2 and while buffing your main DPS stat might be an equivalent in Diablo 3, it isn't represented in a way that is enjoyable to players.

Gear also needs to be less universal to builds. Main Stat + all res + vit or whatever pretty much translate to everything. Most people just swap gear for MF or maybe to throw on a single defensive item like a shield. Heck, due to NV people try to avoid swapping at all. Compare this to Diablo 2 where different builds had drastically different gear setups and you start to see the reduced variety and complexity. A smiter was geared nothing like a hammerdin in Diablo 2. Contrast to that to Diablo 3 where my Wizard can swap from a melee-critmass build to Disintegrate ranged without changing anything. Those kinds of decisions really affect the games longevity value more than they realized.

The class skills/runes really need a redo as well, they went too drastic at the end of beta and really should have tested longer. Looking at my Witch Doctor is a chore, he has so many interesting things and pretty much none of them are viable. Even the summons start dropping off in usefulness in Nightmare, let alone Inferno.
As long as they keep the silly stuff actually useful, it's sad when 100% of the 5-6 legendaries I've seen total in 100+ hours are made even more useless than they had to be by having random stats in useless combinations, such as DEX+INT on a barbarian-only weapon (useless anyway due to far too little DPS).. It's currently like "YAY LEGENDARY!!!!! oh.... :((".. No thanks to +10% chance to spawn a menagerie of dancing leprechauns

Completely agree this being an instanced RPG. They really need to stop balancing drops around a global economy/auction house. The chance of finding anything good in this game is already tiny, so that proverbial carrot to keep you playing is completely missing. In my own experience we're talking less than one usable item in 20 hours of A1/A2 inferno farming. With usable mostly meaning sellable.

I really wonder how they spent all that development time. The core gameplay is solid enough but the game feels *rough* in spots. Really braindead simple stuff that shouldn't have been overlooked with any form of playtesting. It seems obvious that Inferno basically got the "Hell x 50" treatment. Moreover you have silly things like succubi homing blood stars debuffing melee class armor by 50% (i.e. die twice as fast to nearby phase beasts) while ranged classes are merely inconvenience with attack debuff.. Then there's all the completely useless skills/runes, the fact that two-handed weapons are seriously gimpy compared to weapon+shield or dual-wielding, and a whole slew of other things.

26. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:52 peteham

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:43:
Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:34:
More players generally only dilutes your MF

I'm glad someone else tweaked onto that one, its been bugging me for awhile. Why does other peoples MF affect mine in a game with instanced loot? Why does a supposedly multiplayer designed game actively punish you for playing with other people? Why does balance matter in a segmented game with few persistent elements? So many things are totally at odds that it feels like they just don't have a handle on any strong overall design goals.

You can tell they really didn't think a lot of these changes through. Many of them were made in the latter half of their pathetic version of beta that tested essentially nothing other than the battle.net infrastructure. Overhauling the entire rune system a month before release without testing was another head scratcher.

Ya it also just makes it an annoying stat to calculate. ok, there are three of us - he has 60%, he has 95%, and if I put this on I'll have uh...
I think the idea was to prevent players from stacking high MF with otherwise crappy gear, and then leeching on other players, getting your own personalized loot without contributing anything to the group's ability to kill stuff. Combined with how much harder it becomes to kill elite groups with 4x HP even when those groups don't deal more damage, though, it really doesn't do much to encourage grouping. Especially with my barbarian, I have a much faster and easier time just rolling solo.

Basically, they're designing the economy/AH and forgot to design the game...

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 12:04.

16. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 peteham

InBlack wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Its a love hate thing with D3, currently Im on hate mode. Im pissed with all the shitty design decision, but the game has potential to be great, if they deliver on some of those promises.
Hah, yep. I'm in all-out hate mode at the moment and don't see this changing without an expansion that completely reworks a number of things.

- Leveling. 1-60 is now a super boring and pointless waste of time. Not a single worthwhile item can drop before inferno. Normal and nightmare are ridiculously easy. Only when you reach Hell do things become even remotely challenging, but don't expect to find stuff there that will be usable. In D2 you at least had a theoretical chance of getting something out of helping your buddies through nightmare or whatever by getting a lucky drop. Now it's just pure boredom all the way.
- Drop rates. Oh how I've enjoyed farming for hours and hours on inferno only to be rewarded with nothing but bullshit stat combinations and 200dps weapons. My main char is currently not wearing a SINGLE fucking item I've found myself. It's all from the AH. By design I'm sure. Enjoy grinding that gold, or use the RMAH.
- Magic find. Should've been left out to begin, and since it now apparently affects item potency as well as drop rates, it's basically mandatory. Once they "fix" gear swapping, the only remaining avenue here will be items running 50-200 million per slot.
- There's no reason to progress. When I quit playing, I was farming A1 inferno. Boring as shit, but it's the most efficient way to farm. Playing A3 while maintaining 300MF is basically impossible. At least without the aforementioned 50-200 million gold items..
- Single player is the way to go. As fucked up as it may seem for a game that's advertised and has always been about co-op. More players generally only dilutes your MF and the HP boost of monsters makes everything slower, even now that they've removed the damage boost. I farm way faster by myself than I do with buddies.
- Fucked up game balance. It's pretty obvious that inferno was designed by just adding a multiplier to EVERYTHING. Some elite pack affixes are flat out ridiculous.
- Four hotkeys! With cooldowns. My fingers are bored to tears while playing this game. Had to be squeezed into four face buttons and two triggers, huh? It's also funny to me that the most accessible barbarian build, for instance, is one that doesn't use fury at all.

I could go on forever, but that will do for now It's sad to admit this, but I would have ditched this game after 5-10 hours if it didn't have "Diablo" in the name.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
59. Re: Diablo III Patched Jun 2, 2012, 12:03 peteham

eunichron wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 02:17:
Dades wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 01:30:
eunichron wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 22:04:
I think you guys are suffering from a false sense of nostalgia. As you all said, you played Diablo 2 for years, as did I... but after years of Diablo 2 how long was it before you had personally found every unique/set item in the game? How long was it until your character had the absolute best gear possible?

People found uniques and sets while leveling, never said anything about having the best stuff. It was just cool to find interesting items instead of generic crap and only having a chance at the best stuff when you hit level 60 as if the game was an MMO. The thing about Diablo II was that it had the generic crap that is the loot of Diablo III but it also had all of the interesting stuff on top of that which is pretty important.

I'd agree as far as legendaries. At the very least in Diablo 2 even extremely low level uniques were useful in some very specific builds. As it is the legendaries in Diablo 3 are pretty generic and don't offer anything unique over their rare counterparts, other than maybe an additional stat. At the very least Blizzard has said they're taking a second look at the power of legendaries and will be buffing them... but what I'd really like to see are more unique stat bonuses (such as Dual Leech from Diablo 2) to actually make them desirable for certain builds. However, as far as drop rate, I don't have a problem with it currently. I've found two legendaries while playing to date, my friend found 3 in a matter of hours while farming mats for the Whimseyshire staff. As I said in my previous post, that is the nature of random loot.
I think Dades is spot on here as well. It's not just the drop rate, but it's the overall generic feeling of all the loot in the entire game. Every item now is essentialy locked to a level-range with a specific stats budget, and with random stats. You can either hope to get extremely lucky, or just use large-scale statistics to your advantage and use the AH. There's no specific items/builds to shoot for. The entire gaming experience from 1-60 feels like a WoW-like grind where the entire journey and everything you pick up on the way is throw-away junk in the end because you know that once you unlock the next bracket, anything you've got on you will be easily replaceable over the course of a few hours. Holy leveled loot, Batman.... Diablo 2 sure as hell wasn't like this.

Diablo 2 had this staggered difficulty curve where you'd occasionally get the intensely satisfying feeling of *really* going up in power when you found a new unique, or put some additional skillpoints in your core skills. In Diablo 3, I'm feeling none of that. It lasted for a short while during the first 20-30 levels as you unlocked runes, but after that? The skill- and difficulty curve, with the exception of cheap monster combinations, has been more or less completely flat all the way to inferno, with the occasional +15 <primary stat> here, and +10 there, which only serves to even things out while you grind your way to 60.

I'm currently bored to tears with D3. I hope a future expansion or mega-patch fixes it. The current state of D3 really isn't that different from Diablo 2 Classic. Before the expansion, there were no exceptional quality uniques, no rune-words, no sockets etc.. All you could do was hunt rares and hope for lucky combinations, so I never played MP much until the expansion came out and transformed the whole game for the better. Maybe we'll get lucky and Blizzard finds the secret sauce again in two years' time ... Of course, after the hours I've put into the predecessor, I shouldn't completely rule out genre fatigue either, but I definitely feel as if the magic is gone for now.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2012, 12:20.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2012, 12:42 peteham

NegaDeath wrote on May 29, 2012, 12:01:
Wookiestick wrote on May 29, 2012, 11:47:
I'd be curious to know if UE4 won't support Wii U because it isn't fast enough or because of it's vastly different CPU/GPU architecture isn't worth the effort.

At this point we aren't even sure if PS4/Nextbox will support it either with the specs Epic are asking for.
Having UE4 running on all platforms is beneficial enough to all parties, that Epic will probably either cut back on planned features if needed - or Sony/MS will wait until hardware costs are where they need to be. Or more likely a combination of the two.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week
28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week May 25, 2012, 05:43 peteham

Creston wrote on May 24, 2012, 18:13:
I didn't buy ALL the ME2 DLC, but I did get most of it. So far I have zero intentions of getting ANY for ME3, because what's the point? The ending is so shit it ruins any fun in playing the game anymore. Yay, I can help Aria get Omega back? I'm sure she'll be really happy when the gates explode.
After suffering through that whole protracted 30 minute sequence after you go through the transporter thing, the relays going poof with the colour of your choice took my entire interest in the series and universe as a whole with it. I don't even care for replaying ME 1 or 2 for the billionth time anymore. What's been seen can't be unseen I guess, and no amount of contrived fan theories is going to be able to fix that.

On the other hand, I'm still playing the MP with friends occasionally, and that's practically sensational since I never go near MP, usually. I'm sure we'll give it another spin or two when the new DLC lands. The randomness of the loot system is insane, though. The stupid game just keeps giving me human vanguards and batarian sentinels instead of even half a glimpse of that Black Widow I want, and I still have sniper rifle barrel 1... I don't even know how some people managed to get the higher end stuff (i.e. anything not found in recruit packs) to level X. Either insane luck or an absolutely insane amount of games played, or both..

This comment was edited on May 25, 2012, 05:49.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 12:32 peteham

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 15, 2012, 12:21:
The game launched 18hrs ago in the UK and the servers are still too busy to connect to. Blizzard really screwed the pooch with this one. Very unimpressed.
Yep. I was able to log in immediately after work, but the gameplay was laggy and wonky.. Then, presumably as more people got home from work/school, I suddenly started getting friggin' pop-up boxes with "The request has timed out!" while I was playing.. I.e. a big error box with an OK button that would pop up constantly. I tried relogging which was a bad idea, because now it's impossible to log back in. Very smooth launch Blizzard, very smooth indeed.

Looking forward to that reconciliation WoW pet that I won't have any use for because I don't play WoW. At least I saw it coming from a mile away, so didn't bother taking any time off work to play.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
35. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 02:43 peteham

Haha what a surprize.. I was gonna give this a very quick spin before going to bed at 00:00 CET, but whaddoyaknow: "Servers are currently busy, please try again."

And all of the Internet was in shock. Or not. It was pretty much a given that they wouldn't bother scaling up sufficiently to support the launch day/week pressure properly. In about 1-4 weeks depending, things should level out and people go back to playing at normal times with blizzard simultaneously working out some issues; but until then, I expect playing this will be hell (ha-ha). I expect we'll all be getting a special WoW pet or guest pass or sometihng as compensation eventually...

Luckily, like Sepharo pointed out, there's still single player.

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Co-op Support?
11. Re: Dead Space 3 Co-op Support? May 10, 2012, 10:43 peteham

Verno wrote on May 10, 2012, 08:40:
I can't see co-op being a good addition, the only sense of threat in these titles comes from your isolation. When you remove that I just can't take the other stuff as seriously. This online pass stuff is just moving into nonsense territory.
Agreed that co-op just doesn't work for horror. If they'd gone for a sort of spin-off where you play as a squad of space marines wading through thousands of necromorphs, though, I could easily see myself playing it for a bit with friends. If they absolutely have to add multiplayer, then I'd rather have that than the usual poorly balanced hastily slapped together boring death match related stuff that nobody plays after the first month. And I'd rather have campaign drop-in as well, even though it completely removes the tension, atmosphere and brilliant sound-design that made the first two games good. That's just going to evaporate when you have your friends cracking jokes on voice chat at the same time.

Doubt I'll be grabbing it at all though. I was getting pretty tired of the whole game towards the mid/end of the second installment, and there wasn't exactly much in the way of plot to keep things interesting either.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2012, 10:58.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
75. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 28, 2012, 07:52 peteham

MrBone wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:13:
D3 is pretty much the worst game Blizzard has produced thus far. The demo was so boring I was shocked. At least we will have Torchlight 2.
Which demo would that be?

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
14. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 13:40 peteham

Bucky wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:12:
Personally, I prefer a lot of the design changes Blizzard has put into Diablo 3, not the least of which is the revamped skill system. I'll no doubt pick up TL2, but it'll probably be after I've sunk a few hundred hours into D3.

Then again, I may pre-order just to support Runic, and then I could try to get a friend hooked on the genre by gifting TL. Hmm. Decisions, decisions...
haha I just preordered for these exact reasons. Also I feel sorry for Runic not finishing the game in time for release 1 month ago or so.. They would've raked in cash from starved Diablo fans. I still don't think they'll do badly, but not as well as if they'd released before D3.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 peteham

Good lord..

Guys! I want to create an Internet protest and be noticed too.. Hey you guys! Guys?

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
31. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:58 peteham

avianflu wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:48:
Diablo 3 was built for massive multiplayer, so be ready for that.

I healthily doubt the single player will be worth the price of the game. Wont know until release.
Yep. Some people almost seem to be expecting a story-driven CRPG. That's certainly never been the case with the previous games, where most of the story is actually delivered through the manuals. And it won't be the case here. Some speech-bubbles here and there and no doubt a handful of amazing cut-scenes courtesy of Blizzard's cinematics department, but that's about it.

In any case, I found both D1 and D2 to be passable as single-player games (in particular D1, but I was young and impressionable then...), but not much more than that. MP is where this series really shines.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
29. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:35 peteham

FWIW, someone sent me this http://i.imgur.com/ruwuL.jpg

As for MF, I hadn't heard of this but I think it's a sensible change. Especially now with individual loot. What, player A should just be able to deck himself out in full MF gear, contribute far less to the overall efficiency of the group, and then sit back and profit as the personalized loot appears? It's also nice for removing the whole deal with one player in MF gear performing killing blows. Though personally, as far as MF goes, I wish they'd dropped it all together.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 09:45.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
190. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 peteham

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 09:39:
The thing I like about skilltrees is the fact that if you don't think and examine the tree properly and reflect it with the gameplay, you can make the wrong CHOICES and completely screw up your character. Making the right ones and in effect making your character stronger, gives me a loving sense of ACHIEVEMENT. It's all an illusion though, so the joke's one me, really. Sucks being a gamer.
That is the thing though. You can never really know what works until you've tried it. Diablo 2 with its skill-trees was a horribly imbalanced game at times, and in some strange way, that's part of why it was so much fun. But given how easy it was to completely gimp your character, it's equally easy to see the reasoning behind D3's change in direction. Especially since you rarely notice the gimpage until much later, when you've wasted a significant number of hours on a character that's no longer going to let you play with your group unless they also reroll or take a long break. Some people might find the discard-reroll exercise enjoyable, but I sure don't

For example, there was no way of knowing that the sorc's "Warmth" skill should never receive much more than 1 point, ideally. If you put 10+ points into that early, you'd be gimping your character for later. You really feel like you need it for the greatly increased mana regen early on, but due to how regen worked, and as your total mana pool grew (and with the addition of skill-bonuses from gear) it becomes 100% superfluous after a while. How were you supposed to know this unless you'd played the game before, or read someone's guide?

Then there's the 90% of useless combat skills that just didn't scale well enough to be used after normal difficulty. Again, you couldn't really know.

That's not to say I think their new direction is perfect. In fact I'm worried they have have taken it a bit too far in the opposite direction.. But it's hard to make any sort of judgement based on the meagre ~4 active skills and couple of runes you are able to unlock per class in the open beta..

Disclaimer: The above is written based on D2 v1.09. I had long since stopped playing by the time 1.10 brought the new synergy system.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
186. Re: Runes Apr 23, 2012, 09:20 peteham

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 08:37:
What seems weird to me is that as a wizard, I was using axes, swords, bows, shields, etc. Seemed like I could use pretty much any weapon I picked up. That was just odd.

Yeah, same for the Monk. "Generally" a Monk would use Hand2Hand (or a hand weapon) or a Bow Staff and that's about it as well light armor. With D3 I just gave my Monk "whatever". It makes having different classes seem... useless?

As "Krowen" said, "Skill trees are an illusion of choice, always have been.", then maybe classes and spells/skills are just illusions of differentiation.
Assuming the game is anything like Diablo 2, which it very much seems to be.... Basically, you've seen a small slice of Act1, on normal difficulty.If your playthrough went like mine, you've seen probably a couple of extremely low-level rares and mostly some random junk blues, that in no way represents the more class-specific stat bonuses you'll be seeing on higher difficulties. If you're the type of person who enjoys wacky builds, i.e. pacifist necromancers or melee-sorcs, you will probably be able to do that, but it will be significantly harder than any sane build and gear setup, and essentially useless on higher difficulties.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 09:30.

580 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo