Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 567 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Events
75. Re: Diablo III Launch Events Apr 28, 2012, 07:52 peteham

MrBone wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:13:
D3 is pretty much the worst game Blizzard has produced thus far. The demo was so boring I was shocked. At least we will have Torchlight 2.
Which demo would that be?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight
14. Re: Torchlight II Pre-Purchases Get Free Torchlight Apr 26, 2012, 13:40 peteham

Bucky wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 13:12:
Personally, I prefer a lot of the design changes Blizzard has put into Diablo 3, not the least of which is the revamped skill system. I'll no doubt pick up TL2, but it'll probably be after I've sunk a few hundred hours into D3.

Then again, I may pre-order just to support Runic, and then I could try to get a friend hooked on the genre by gifting TL. Hmm. Decisions, decisions...
haha I just preordered for these exact reasons. Also I feel sorry for Runic not finishing the game in time for release 1 month ago or so.. They would've raked in cash from starved Diablo fans. I still don't think they'll do badly, but not as well as if they'd released before D3.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration
30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Community Demonstration Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 peteham

Good lord..

Guys! I want to create an Internet protest and be noticed too.. Hey you guys! Guys?

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
31. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:58 peteham

avianflu wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 09:48:
Diablo 3 was built for massive multiplayer, so be ready for that.

I healthily doubt the single player will be worth the price of the game. Wont know until release.
Yep. Some people almost seem to be expecting a story-driven CRPG. That's certainly never been the case with the previous games, where most of the story is actually delivered through the manuals. And it won't be the case here. Some speech-bubbles here and there and no doubt a handful of amazing cut-scenes courtesy of Blizzard's cinematics department, but that's about it.

In any case, I found both D1 and D2 to be passable as single-player games (in particular D1, but I was young and impressionable then...), but not much more than that. MP is where this series really shines.

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
29. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 25, 2012, 09:35 peteham

FWIW, someone sent me this http://i.imgur.com/ruwuL.jpg

As for MF, I hadn't heard of this but I think it's a sensible change. Especially now with individual loot. What, player A should just be able to deck himself out in full MF gear, contribute far less to the overall efficiency of the group, and then sit back and profit as the personalized loot appears? It's also nice for removing the whole deal with one player in MF gear performing killing blows. Though personally, as far as MF goes, I wish they'd dropped it all together.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2012, 09:45.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
190. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 peteham

Quinn wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 09:39:
The thing I like about skilltrees is the fact that if you don't think and examine the tree properly and reflect it with the gameplay, you can make the wrong CHOICES and completely screw up your character. Making the right ones and in effect making your character stronger, gives me a loving sense of ACHIEVEMENT. It's all an illusion though, so the joke's one me, really. Sucks being a gamer.
That is the thing though. You can never really know what works until you've tried it. Diablo 2 with its skill-trees was a horribly imbalanced game at times, and in some strange way, that's part of why it was so much fun. But given how easy it was to completely gimp your character, it's equally easy to see the reasoning behind D3's change in direction. Especially since you rarely notice the gimpage until much later, when you've wasted a significant number of hours on a character that's no longer going to let you play with your group unless they also reroll or take a long break. Some people might find the discard-reroll exercise enjoyable, but I sure don't

For example, there was no way of knowing that the sorc's "Warmth" skill should never receive much more than 1 point, ideally. If you put 10+ points into that early, you'd be gimping your character for later. You really feel like you need it for the greatly increased mana regen early on, but due to how regen worked, and as your total mana pool grew (and with the addition of skill-bonuses from gear) it becomes 100% superfluous after a while. How were you supposed to know this unless you'd played the game before, or read someone's guide?

Then there's the 90% of useless combat skills that just didn't scale well enough to be used after normal difficulty. Again, you couldn't really know.

That's not to say I think their new direction is perfect. In fact I'm worried they have have taken it a bit too far in the opposite direction.. But it's hard to make any sort of judgement based on the meagre ~4 active skills and couple of runes you are able to unlock per class in the open beta..

Disclaimer: The above is written based on D2 v1.09. I had long since stopped playing by the time 1.10 brought the new synergy system.

186. Re: Runes Apr 23, 2012, 09:20 peteham

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 08:37:
What seems weird to me is that as a wizard, I was using axes, swords, bows, shields, etc. Seemed like I could use pretty much any weapon I picked up. That was just odd.

Yeah, same for the Monk. "Generally" a Monk would use Hand2Hand (or a hand weapon) or a Bow Staff and that's about it as well light armor. With D3 I just gave my Monk "whatever". It makes having different classes seem... useless?

As "Krowen" said, "Skill trees are an illusion of choice, always have been.", then maybe classes and spells/skills are just illusions of differentiation.
Assuming the game is anything like Diablo 2, which it very much seems to be.... Basically, you've seen a small slice of Act1, on normal difficulty.If your playthrough went like mine, you've seen probably a couple of extremely low-level rares and mostly some random junk blues, that in no way represents the more class-specific stat bonuses you'll be seeing on higher difficulties. If you're the type of person who enjoys wacky builds, i.e. pacifist necromancers or melee-sorcs, you will probably be able to do that, but it will be significantly harder than any sane build and gear setup, and essentially useless on higher difficulties.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2012, 09:30.

151. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 22, 2012, 12:30 peteham

Zadig wrote on Apr 22, 2012, 12:09:
Made it to level 5 with a monk and just stopped playing. The barely remembered Diablo magic wasn't there and many worrying signs were, but I was curious to try another class to see if it got better. Too bad I haven't been able to reconnect!
I played through solo with a barbarian when I was finally able to connect. Actually getting in has been practically impossible, but that's what a stresstest is all about I guess... Once I finally got in, the game was more or less rock solid, and the only interruption was a planned server restart. I hope they don't under-estimate the capacity requirements for launch, in particular for Europe. We're usually an afterthought, which makes sense in terms of market-size but it still sucks for me

What I've seen so far actually has me pretty psyched about 15/05. The game still feels very much like Diablo to me, and I've played both 1 and 2 to death. The skills were fun to use and had satisfying impact. The barbarian at least, would send lowly zombies flying in every direction. Obviously, with the small slice of the game we're getting, there isn't going to be much in the way of skill customization, but the small taste I got didn't leave me with a bad taste. It doesn't feel dumbed down to me, although I still think I would've preferred a more conventional approach with the option of respeccing for a fee. I didn't really get the same sense of progressing now that you no longer get to allocate skillpoints as you level up, but simply unlock some stuff instead.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
43. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 17, 2012, 07:20 peteham

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 04:08:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:38:
Time to finally buy this?

I'm still wary; I couldn't stand the gameplay mechanics in Witcher 1 one iota.
You shoulda bought it right off the bat. I hated them the same way in the first witcher. Got used to it though after a second playthrough. Witcher2 thought? Leagues above. It's almost like you were walking along a stream and found a gold nugget the size of your fist.
Also be warned, the tutorial and prologue are by far the worst parts of the game. Especially if you ask about the dragon first. Soldier through, and you'll get to enjoy the real game which is amazing.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
18. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 11:36 peteham

SXO wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:34:
OK..... *scratches head*..... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Prophet die in Crysis 2? I never played the game, but from what I've heard, he dies and then Alcatraz uses his suit in Crysis 2.
Near the end of the game, there's this non-clever twist where Prophet's mind was stored in the suit and takes over or something. If that means Prophet and Alcatraz are now one, or Alcatraz is goners, I have no idea.. I don't really remember the details anymore, only that something like this happened.

News Comments > Trine 2 Hardcore Mode Added
3. Re: Trine 2 Hardcore Mode Added Mar 30, 2012, 05:53 peteham

This is for the fans who thought the Tower of Sarek level in the first game was just right in its pre-patches state
That rules me out, then

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 8, 2012, 12:42 peteham

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 12:09:
I guess in some esotheric, purely theoretical way the PS3 is more powerful than the 360, but in reality it's the other way around. Sony's stupid memory sharing system is murdering the latest games to come out on their platform.

Creston
If nothing else, it's a testament to the superb job Sony's marketing department did with the whole "Power of Cell" deal.. Despite real world performance saying otherwise for pretty much every single cross-platform game this generation, and certain well-respected developers even commenting on the PS3's architectural short-comings, people are still convinced the PS3 is the superior system. Some of that can probably be attributed to the PS3 being a portmachine, and sure, the platform exclusives are fairly impressive for such old hardware, but that's probably more a testament to developer skill and time-investment than a sign of solid hardware.. How many games has the Sony studio responsible for God of War 3 managed to crank out this generation? That's right: ONE.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
52. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 19:06 peteham

Who knows, maybe certain big companies will start to see how increasingly expensive it's going to be to transition in and out of new console generations moving forward; and the hassles of attempting to bring the customer base over to their new flagship every few years.. A return to the good old constantly changing PC model, anyone?

A somewhat standardized "PC" with excellent driver support and testing, while still maintaining today's support for diverse hardware, could be a great thing.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
37. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 18:27 peteham

Bhruic wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 02:54:
That's the big thing that's changed. For the first time, the galaxy KNOWS the Reapers are coming (though in typical political horseshittery most of them would rather bury their heads in the sand, which is exactly what WOULD happen), and for the first time they are able to unite and fight them together.

That's certainly plausible, but the Protheans were more technologically advanced than any of the races around now. But when the Reapers hit a planet, that planet was wasted in an extremely short time period. The idea that "Earth is holding out" is just silly. The Reapers would show up, Earth would be toast in a week - if it took that long - and they'd move on.

I don't mind the idea of trying to unite against them (although even then, the chances of beating them should be small - well, except we have Shepherd!), but this idea that we're going to somehow "save" the Earth is pretty bogus.

I dunno, maybe there's more to it than the demo suggested, but the Reapers didn't seem to be doing as much damage as we'd been lead to believe they could.
The reapers are probably trying to limit the destruction in order to keep most of their cattle alive. If they simply popped around to nuke earth from orbit, then I agree, there wouldn't have been much to come back to based on what Sovereign was able to do on his own (and to be fair, with some assistance from a geth fleet). I also assume they don't have dozens/hundreds of collector bases parked around the galaxy ready to go, so it might take them months/years to get proper "incubator infrastructure" in place etc. There are at least some justifications for why there could still be something/someone to come back and save, and I'm sure the Bioware writers have been able to solve it fairly intelligently. Keeping in mind that story arc conclusions always tend to be somewhat anti-climactic.

For now, I'm at least relieved to see they seem to be going for a massive fleet battle conclusion.. It would've sucked if Jeff Goldblum made a guest appearance and uploaded a virus to the Reaper central computer using his laptop and null modem cable...

Thinking I'm going to cave and buy the N7 version on GMG.....

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer
31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 10:53 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 00:47:
I would give them my money, but it seems i already preordered, preloaded and prepared (hah)

Also PC N7 DDE has From Ashes included

http://i.imgur.com/prRFX.jpg
And did I understand you correctly in the other thread that you've ordered this on GMG? Seeing as how this is £10 cheaper than the Origin version (in fact only marginally more expensive than the standard origin version here), AND assuming it includes Ashes, that and the trailer might kill my self-control and original intention of waiting for the bargain bin, hah...

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
65. Re: Question! Mar 1, 2012, 03:56 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 03:48:
I'm pretty sure there is no Digital Deluxe version of ME3 for consoles, since consoles don't offer digital distribution of brand new games.
It seems it will be available through PSN. Not sure about Xbox Marketplace, but wouldn't surprise me if it's available digitally there as well.

64. Re: Question! Mar 1, 2012, 03:49 peteham

I didn't include my original question so it might have been hard to see from my original post, but I was asking specifically about the PC Digital Deluxe edition, not the CE, so that's probably all the support rep is commenting on. That is, the physical CE versions likely include Ashes on all platforms, but only the Xbox and PS3 versions of the Digital Deluxe version do. At least that's how I read it.

We'll see in a week's time I guess. I'm going to wait this one out for a year or so anyway, much as it pains me since I love the Mass Effect series

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Revelations: The Lost Archive
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Revelations: The Lost Archive Feb 29, 2012, 07:47 peteham

two hours of all-new content using the innovative narration style and puzzle-platforming gameplay pioneered in the present-day Desmond sequences of Assassin’s Creed® Revelations
Innovative? Is that their name for it now? I'm assuming they're referring to the block-puzzle snoozefest I only suffered through because of the minor bits of exposition, and because I'm a compulsive completionist..

57. Re: Question! Feb 29, 2012, 07:31 peteham

Hilarious update ensues.. I asked EA support directly. Here's the reply:

"Please allow me to share that 'Ashes DLC' is available with Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition for Xbox and Ps3. It is not available for PC version."

So there you have it, guys.. Apparently no Ashes with the PC version. Though, to make me feel better, they kindly provided me with a 15% discount code for Origin - which alas cannot be used for pre-orders or new releases. But at least it's valid until the last day of the calendar month.. Which happens to be.. Uh.. Today..

I swear, I'm not making this up
Thanks, EA!

53. Re: Question! Feb 28, 2012, 15:36 peteham

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:07:
So much for EA "promoting" digital, when they put more goodies into the actual box.
Well they certainly are over here. Digital Deluxe is $107, CE boxed is $143 most places

The DLC confusion surrounding this game is insane. Does the Digital Deluxe version include Ashes? Is that also the case when not bought directly through Origin? Bang up job by EA there, as evident by the people asking on forums everywhere. It's hard to be sure with the 10.000 different descriptions they're throwing around based on locale and outlet, but this tweet by Casey Hudson seems to confirm that it is indeed included: http://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson/status/172724931149303809

567 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo