Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 596 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
13. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:50 peteham

Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:48:
Axis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:42:
More useless bloat in their OS... as expected.

On this we are in full agreement.

Microsoft's treatment of PC gaming over the years is one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and its all the more glaring because its on their own turf.
The problem as always is that there's no competition in the desktop gaming space. Apple is a non-contender for now because of their restricted hardware platform and also because they don't really seem to care. And I wonder if we'll ever see SteamOS/Linux in a form that's usable to end-users. Even if SteamOS was a viable feature-complete contender today, it would still take years for Microsoft's backwards-compatibility edge to go away. Even a large corp as sluggish as Microsoft would likely have plenty of warning if they ever had to turn around and actually do something beyond the bare minimum..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
50. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 17:00 peteham

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 16:55:
Oh my god that before and after description. "Like a box of dry raisins!"
Dark Souls crossover in the works. The chick is clearly going hollow. You read it here first, folks.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
71. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 19:18 peteham

Really looking forward to playing this after all the positive feedback.

For the ones who've played it, what difficulty did you go for? It seems normal is fairly easy but at the same time, one of the things that really killed DA2 for me was playing on hard (or whatever it was) and growing majorly tired of the game and the amount of babysitting required even for the endless amount of "trash" encounters. I eventually switched down just to get through faster, and the ability to auto attack through most thug encounters, but the game was already ruined by then, for this and other reasons.. Does Inquisition have enough of a progression curve and enemy variety to keep things interesting throughout on hard, or is it better to just melt face?

Also, how's the exploration aspect of it? Is it anything like Skyrim where you see something cool-looking on the horizon and decide to go there and check it out, or it it more in the Ubisoft style where you just follow a bread crumb path of map markers everywhere?

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 8, 2014, 08:30 peteham

The Uncharted games were always a bit too combat focused for my liking, with the platforming/puzzle solving mostly being there to provide a break from shooting stuff. I wish it was the other way around, but that will never happen of course.

I'm also not a fan of the combat itself. I really dislike the "one clip per weapon"-mechanic (also employed in games like Halo), designed to make you run around like a maniac rather than picking things off from afar, which is more my play style. I've also always thought the "feel" of it (aiming, recoil response etc.) has always been rather clunky, though it's been getting better in #2 and #3.

Still fun games, but not system sellers for me personally. Between Bloodborne and this, though, I'll probably be getting a PS4 soon.

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Dec 3, 2014, 04:10 peteham

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 12:29:
Meh, I don't really understand this rant. People buying this crap know that they're just donating to the game. Anyone blowing $2500 on this stuff can most likely afford to do so.
I wouldn't care where people put their money if this was primarily a single player game. But since this is now clearly an MMO first and foremost, it creates the valid concern that the game is going to be massively pay to win. I know they keep claiming it won't be, and that there's no "best ship/weapon" blah blah, but so do all other F2P games and fans. And we know how that is never quite true. Paying up always gives you some advantage unless we're talking purely cosmetic items, which clearly, these items are not. Hell, the game isn't even F2P. Personally, a game where I would have to grind a thousand hours to get something whereas some other guy may have just paid up to cut corners and get it instantly (and a lot earlier), doesn't appeal to me one bit. Planetside 2 comes to mind.

What was the funding amount following the original funding campaign again? $7-10 mill or something around there? Meaning they've raked in 50+ million dollars since then. Does anyone truly think people would be coughing up this much cash if they were selling hats, even with the additional motive of funding the game? It's the vague promise of having an advantage when the game launches that really pushes people over the edge. Allegedly, these ships will be obtainable through play as well, but really, how many hours of grinding are we talking to justify a $2500 ship? Sounds like "way out of range for 99.9% of the player base"-territory to me. Otherwise they'd just be pissing all over their backers.

The way I see it, Star Citizen is going to have a very real image problem when it comes to attracting regular players. With good reason.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $65M
32. Re: Star Citizen at $65M Dec 1, 2014, 03:53 peteham

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2014, 20:28:
- The Javelin destroyer sale at $2500 per ship. There were four lots of 50 ships each to give people in different timezones a chance to get one. Each lot sold out in seconds, of course, so that was $2500 x 200 = $500K alone.
That's just insane. I likely wasn't going to touch the MMO portion at all, but the more I hear about this game, the more I regret ever backing it. It started off as a "new wing commander" pitch, but it's clear the MMO accounts for 99% of the development effort..

The mind boggles at people dropping $2.5k on ships for a game that doesn't even exist yet. But sounds like the recipe for P2W to me. Oh, I know the ardent fanboys keep insisting this only adds variety, but come on. How long do you suppose the in-game grind to obtain one of these things will have to be, then, in order to avoid completely invalidating a bunch of thousand dollar purchases?

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Nov 13, 2014, 05:34 peteham

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 16:32:
I've seen nothing but good things about Inquisition.
I may be latching onto certain statements from reviews too much rather than looking at the big picture, but I'm a bit antsy about this because of DA2. Inquisition is currently sitting at around the same review scores from main sites as its infamous predecessor (which I hated).

So far, some nagative things I've latched on to:
- Generic MMO-style collect- and fetch quests
- An apparent abundance of the above style quests leading to pacing issues and a boring first half of the game.
- Clunky crafting/upgrading interface.
- Collectibles. Loads of collectibles.
- Limited NPC interaction, dialog supposedly often amounts to "press A to continue conversation".
- Tactical view is mostly redundant.

Eagerly awaiting some less mainstream reviews as well as impressions from people here and elsewhere.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 13, 2014, 05:17 peteham

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 17:15:
Thanks for the tip about the Long War mod, i havent heard about it until now. Looks great, I'll be checking it out!
I recommend checking out Beagle's Long War Live And Impossible series on Youtube for some tips on how to play. The mod doesn't really do a good job of easing you into things, and the workings of the revamped air game, in particular, is slightly obscure (and not my favorite part of the mod...)

Also the Wiki is handy as a reference: http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Long_War

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 13, 2014, 05:13 peteham

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 17:24:
Some site, I think Polygon, had a really good review of it.
It's... too much for me. Some of it sounds great, but honestly, I felt that XCOM was about long enough as is. I did 3 playthroughs, each of which took 22-26 hours. That's enough. The Long War makes it drag on 5x that, and is much more difficult, so the likelihood of going 70 hours only to hit a fail state is high.

I much prefer doing the game on an easier difficulty on Ironman and doing no save spamming. Instead of replaying anything, I just power through. Lose my best guy? Oops. I did Ironman on both the easiest difficulty and the hardest, and will probably do my next playthrough Ironman on medium. I really like that The Long War makes it so you need dozens of soldiers and actually use them (Ironman often makes me have dozens, but by the 15 hour point I'm really using 8 or 9 with the rest no longer in missions), but the core gameplay of 20 - 60 minute turn based battles goes from a joy at first to tedious by hour 20.

But that's the joy of XCOM - so many ways to play. But I can't even imagine doing the XCOM base defense in The Long War. That was hard enough in EW on its own.
My problem with vanilla difficulties is I found normal too easy, but classic wasn't enjoyable at all. Just lots of blue-move marching-line shuffle-fest play, praying you didn't get a thin man crit to the face despite all your efforts. Then you got things like carapace+ and mimetic skin again, which suddenly made the game reasonably easy again.

Long War normal is a bit like vanilla classic, except it feels more balanced. There's so many more options for dealing with stuff than in vanilla, aside from just moving slowly and taking high cover. The skill trees are better laid out, so you have things like suppression almost from the start on the gunner class (and you're required to use it). Then there's the increased squad size and two item slots instead of one per soldier, allowing you to make much greater use of support items like flashbangs and smoke to survive. Not to mention that low cover isn't as completely useless as it was in vanilla. I also like that with the number of missions you take, and the fatigue mechanic requiring you to have many squads, losing people is still a big deal, but not quite as catastrophic as in vanilla where you at best had an A- and B-team.

It's still a bit too long though. I've never actually played a campaign for long enough to get the base defense mission. I wouldn't mind if the "not so long war" second wave option had about 10x more impact. But yes, that mission looks terrifying. I have no qualms about winning via the developer console if that's what it takes to survive it, once I get there Technically you can lose the mission and keep playing, but in addition to having then lost some of your highest ranking troops (that were available at the time of attack) you supposedly also lose a ton of currency, engineers, scientists and meld. So basically you're pretty boned.

The latest Long War beta introduced Bronze Mode, by the way. It's Iron Man except you're allowed to restart missions. The map is rerolled (enemy- and meld placement, your landing zone etc.). So it removes the ability to savescum every turn, while still allowing you to recover from a squad wipe due to something like, say, mistiming the Newfoundland whaling mission and not making it to the extraction zone before the airstrike. Or starting a large UFO mission by triggering the outsider pod first thing, bringing the entire level down on you at once (they call for help in LW, don't remember if they did this in vanilla?).

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 16:20 peteham

Not that I had particularly high hopes for either Inquisition or Unity, but both games apparently being pretty but boring (pretty boring, har-har) is disappointing none the less. Especially Inquisition. I have essentially given up on the entire AC franchise anyway.  

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 12, 2014, 10:40 peteham

Maybe I'll pick it up EW for Android. Could be nice for travel, though I'm not sure how fun it would be now that I'm used to Long War. It makes an already stellar game so much better.

Yep. Still playing XCOM Long War. It's not perfect, but it's good enough that I must have over 400 hours played by now, and haven't tired of it yet. Though the "Long" in the title ain't no lie. A single campaign takes so long that I've never actually finished one, and don't personally know anyone who has either. Second, it can be annoyingly hardcore at times. Sectoids critting on that 1% shot from across the map instantly killing your sniper? Shakefist A problem I overcome by savescumming whenever I feel like it. An infallible weapon, so long as I never run into alien Tom Cruise.

I really, really hope they're working on XCOM2. With mod support. I can only imagine how good Long War would've been by now if they had actual mod support to work with and didn't have to spend time reverse engineering everything. Drool2

News Comments > The Witcher III Free DLC Plans
30. Re: The Witcher III Free DLC Plans Nov 7, 2014, 04:47 peteham

Asmo wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 17:06:
Have been a class act all the way through, their products drop fully formed and functional (I had almost no bug issues with Witcher 1 & 2), which is tragic that it's exceptional these days... Story, action, setting, challenge, it hit all the right notes for me.
Not to rag on CD Project or anything, but to be fair, Witcher 1 was a bit of a mess when it released. Aside from random crashes, the loading times were atrocious on a cosmic scale. I abandoned the game during the second act the first time because waiting 2-5 minutes every single time you entered/exited a small shack was driving me insane.. With a random chance of a CTD thrown in for good measure. There was also some sort of resource leak that required you to always save twice, IIRC. The game also had English voice-overs so bad it was borderline tragical, as well as almost every NPC in the game looking exactly the same.

They were a new studio back then, and they fixed it and then some with the enhanced edition, but the Witcher 1 people now remember didn't actually exist until about a year after the game was released.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 6, 2014, 16:01 peteham

Surprised they waited this long to emulate EA/Origin to be honest. Pretty sure it will hurt their sales in the short term, but the cut they no longer have to share with Valve might make up for it.

I'm too old to boycott games I'm interested in because they're on the wrong service, so this doesn't really matter to me Their games have been requiring UPlay to run for a while anyway. The main issue for me will be the loss of cheap acquisitions through sales, I suppose. I don't see them doing the regular 75% off-thing any more than EA.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
70. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 3, 2014, 05:26 peteham

jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 13:36:
Flatline wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 12:34:
Oh joy. Just what I want to do. Hide in a fucking crate for 2-3 hours until a scavenger party comes along on the off chance that they don't scan the cargo.

I don't see the problem. I'd just pull out my phone and play Candy Crush for a few hours while I waited.
They need to add an in-game Candy Crush, let's call it the iPhone module, so you can game while you game.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Prime This Month
2. Re: Frozen Synapse Prime This Month Nov 3, 2014, 05:16 peteham

The original's soundtrack is amayzin. Worth the price of admission on its own.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition
29. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 05:32 peteham

Creston wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 00:07:
Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:22:
I pre-ordered DAI a month ago and still don't have my key. My general experience with GMG is they give the key as soon as they have them. Which can be anywhere from the day of release to several days earlier. There have been cases where they have not given out keys till after the release date. If you absolutely need to preload you should consider getting the game from somewhere else, or at least wait till you hear that GMG customers are getting their keys.

Alrighty, thanks man.
Chiming in on this as well. When I pre-ordered XCOM EW from them, I got the keys 2-3 hours after it released on steam. With a midnight release, and having to wait for the download as well, this basically amounted to getting the game a day later. I seem to recall reading on their forums that they weren't given keys to hand out before the game released. So I wouldn't pre-order from GMG if your main priority is playing the game the minute it's released.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dreamfall Chapters Book One Oct 22, 2014, 11:31 peteham

Downloaded the early access version yesterday just to have a look at the engine, and played for about 11 seconds after the intro. Looks and sounds very nice, but like eRe4s3r I'm going to wait until there's more episodes. After experiencing Dreamfall's major cliffhanger years back, I'm going to be fairly certain the story will actually be finished before I get into it this time Also, early word of mouth is that it feels more like a prologue than a full game/episode, so.. yeah..

From what I understand, their time table is to have the entire game finished by September next year, which probably means more like December. But at least we're not talking multiple years like I feared initially, when they announced they were going episodic..

(On that note, where's Broken Age ep 2? ;P)

News Comments > Free & Paid Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC
10. Re: Free & Paid Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Oct 22, 2014, 07:10 peteham

Mostly enjoying Mordor, despite being majorly sick of Assassin's Creed and anything resembling it. I'm about half-way through now, I think (first area starting to thin out, haven't gotten to the second area just yet). It still has the overall mechanics of an UBI game (towers to climb, minimap markers to checkbox and waypoints to start missions) but as with Far Cry, the gameplay is solid. I enjoyed Batman's combat system, and I enjoy it here as well. The navigation actually works, with Talion doing what I want him to 99% of the time rather than getting stuck on geometry. And teleport-arrows are the greatest thing ever. Opening a bunch of Caragor-cages and watching them go ain't bad, either.

The nemesis system still seems like mostly a gimmick to me, though. I heard it's simplified in the console versions but frankly, I doubt I'd even notice. The game throws so many orcs at you that even if they correctly reference how you fought them previously, have scars in the right places, immunities to compensate and whatnot, *I* sure as heck don't remember *them* anymore (except for those occasions when you kill a guy and then walk into him again literally 5 seconds later). Angry because I threw you into a fire? Well, I might have... You're just another green face with a wall of random stats to me at this point. The system might have had much more impact if they'd used it more sparingly, i.e. only for warchiefs.

Also, the short cutscenes/expositions you get when you come near- or take down a captain is starting to get on my nerves. Especially since they're everywhere. I was taking down a warchief in his stronghold yesterday, along with (initially) two of his bodyguards (and about a six million minions). Where each captain of course each had to introduce himself with 5 seconds of the same exposition I've seen a hundred times by now. Making me fumble my combo streak and lose my situational awareness in the process. And then as the battle raged on for 30 minutes while I tried to separate Mr. Warchief from his entourage and get him out of the alarm-zone, 2-3 more captains randomly spawned nearby and decided to join in on the fun. HELLO! REMEMBER ME? YOU LEFT ME FOR DEAD. No. Can't say I do. Now please go away, I'm busy.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2014, 11:32.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Aug 30, 2014, 11:25 peteham

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 01:13:
Something with this much hype is making me very skeptical nowadays....
Especially with marketing buzzwords innovations like "Nemesis system" (not that I've really read up on what it entails) being thrown around. Radiant AI, anyone?

Not really feeling it at all with this; gameplay looks a bit naff to me. Being positively surprised is always nice, though, so hoping for that outcome.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
32. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 28, 2014, 06:54 peteham

Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 11:00:
But will we have Inquisition assets that only count at 50% unless we play multiplayer?? Because everyone just LOVED that part of it in ME3! :o
I hope they haven't forgotten the most important bit: The Inquisition iOS companion app, for maximum asset boostage. 'Cause the one for ME3 was so amazingly stellar. They must have given one guy a week to do it, or brought in some students/interns to do it.

Actually tried to use it again during my last replay, just for kicks. This was around the time Citadel came out. Obviously it was broken, no longer being maintained, and whatever servers previously powering it no longer running. Though with the extra resources from the DLCs, it's no longer needed for the super optimal ending anyway but meh.

596 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo