Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 634 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
146. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 07:43 peteham
Bub wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 07:35:
These are people with more disposable income than sense, but who want be dominant in a game and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get there.
A fool and his money are soon parted, as the proverb goes. These are not necessarily "rich" people though, as illustrated by the survey that was done some months back (and also posted here):

I realize it's not scientific/complete by any means, but it provides interesting reading none the less. Take Q9 in particular. Of the people who have spent $1000-$9999 on Star Citizen, a significant portion make less than $50k per year.. That's not rich by any definition.

People are insane.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
144. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 05:08 peteham
Going to be interesting to see how the P2W aspects of this plays out.

"Fuck this shit, I'm not grinding for 6 months straight to get a ship that's actually competitive".

"Fuck this shit, I paid to win, but these scrubs are already able to get my $900 ship after two weeks of normal play?"[1]

"Fuck this shit, I paid $900 for a ship in a game that never came out!"

[1] Yeah yeah, everyone is just kindly donating and supporting the project and don't care one whit about the vague promises of in-game advantage these ships hold. Sure. Yep.
News Comments > Diablo III Bonus Weekend
26. Re: Diablo III Bonus Weekend Sep 25, 2015, 10:48 peteham
Totally agreed that greater rifts need fixing. At a certain point you're completely reliant on the right combination of mobs and density, otherwise you might as well start over if you're pushing it. And there's not even a way to cancel a rift without remaking the game.

And there really is nothing better than being ahead, reaching the end of the level only to discover that the next one is going to put a wooden stake +5 straight through your attempt.

Also a problem now is that even with the addition of T10, regular rifts become a complete waste of time as far as exp goes. At paragon 500 you really start to feel it, and at 600 you won't even notice your exp moving during regular rifts. And that's not even mentioning bounties, which are a complete waste of time on the loot front as well - but you need the materials.

I'd like to see them do some loot balancing for both adventure mode regular rifts, and hell, maybe even campaign, as doing nothing but greater rifts becomes tedious.
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes
5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes Sep 4, 2015, 04:38 peteham
Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 21:56:
our focus is on introducing fan-requested features

YES! Finally we'll get some decent tactical mode combat!!

We’re happy to introduce the player wardrobe

Hahahaha! Genuine LOL right there Laugh
News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Velocity 2X
1. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Velocity 2X Aug 20, 2015, 08:37 peteham
Don't know about the game as I've never played it, but the soundtrack is great. Stumbled across it on Spotify.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released
9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition - The Descent DLC Released Aug 11, 2015, 19:14 peteham
The trouble with DLC like this though, is that it never really goes on sale. Ever. Jaws of Hakkon had a small discount right now but nothing substantial.  
News Comments > Blizzard Diablo Job Posting
21. Re: Blizzard Diablo Job Posting Aug 11, 2015, 04:01 peteham
Given the obvious perception of self 1337ness going on here, I'm not sure there's much point in trying to argue a point. But as someone who came close to letting Diablo 2 ruin (or at least delay) a certain university diploma, I'll just throw out a few things about Diablo 2, the perfect game that it was.

- Remember the endless Cow, Mephisto, Baal and Pindle-runs? That's pretty much ALL that went on at higher level play. Rifts and bounties get repetitive too but at least you're spending more time actually playing than remaking the game now.
- Skill trees with depth and flavor? I'm not sure which game people are remembering here. There were one or at most two cookie cutter builds that actually worked per class, that everyone was using. Unless you weren't endlessly running pindleskin on Hell, in which case you were lowest common denominator scum, dontya know... Rolleyes
- Stats were completely superfluous. Unless you were playing Hardcore, in which case you might do with some extra VIT, all you ever did was pretty much meet the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM equip requirements for your target gear, and dump the rest into your class' mainstat for dmg. There was no depth or choice to this at all and removing it completely basically just removed the ability for newbies to gimp their first characters. Of course, they could have gone a different route actually making stats meaningful in D3 rather than ditching them completely, but it hardly represents a regression..
- A fun follow-up to skills & stats: You could easily end up with a build that worked marvelously on normal, and maybe even nightmare, but because of stuff you couldn't possibly know about/predict in advance, you'd hit a wall once you moved on to Hell. Ever tried building a chain lightning sorceress? Engine of death and destruction up to and including nightmare. Completely worthless on Hell.
- I have no idea why anyone would miss playing inventory tetris. I personally feel D3 would be better if you had infinite stash space.
- Town portals made it too easy to chicken out of tough fights. I never really minded this tbh, but the portaling mechanics in D3 give you pretty much the exact same functionality in terms of linking up with your party.

I'm not saying I enjoyed D3 more than D2, but I'm not blind to the fact that, in some ways, I'd already played D3 to death before it even came out. And that games in general will never feel as magical as they once did simply because I'm not in my teens/early twenties anymore.
Disclaimer: Like usual, my Diablo 2 experiences are centered around LoD 1.07-1.09, i.e. when the game was at its absolute height. Once 1.10 came out literally a few years late (Because blizzard practically had just one guy working on it in his spare time) and changed things up a bit with synergies etc, the majority had already moved on.
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
11. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 10:38 peteham
Six hours of SP may be just short of getting players over the initial hump of infinite boredom, if people are anything like me... I ended up really enjoying the game in the end, once the world, story and characters finally kicked in. But Lawd Allmighty, how I struggled for the first 6-8 hours. The combat system is just awful. I tried bumping the difficulty but it went from being dull to infuriating thanks to the party AI and the game not being built for actually using the tactical view. It's just a presentational bullet point.

And there's far too much busywork in the game. And I hated the crafting too. Awful, awful interface. And.. And.. And..

The "world" was amazing though. I'm a huge fan "zone" layouts over just huge contiguous open world. Each area looked amazing and felt really distinct. Exploring was a joy. All in all, I really want to play it again at some point.

But I'll be using a savegame hack that gives me unlimited herbs & minerals so I don't have to harvest another goddamn plant ever again. Stab
News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
16. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 11:10 peteham
It's interesting to see how pleased the Star Citizen forumers are at this so-called refutal. Mainly because it doesn't refute a thing. Crazy yes-men sycophantic cult mentality. Until CIG actually has something to show, this is really just a bunch of hand waving. If only I had a dime for every time I've read someone voicing some concern over the game's development only to be "shut down" by one of the hopeful army with "they've already addressed that". Addressed meaning "It's been talked about on a podcast".

The situation is under control.
News Comments > The Escapists The Walking Dead Announced
5. Re: The Escapists The Walking Dead Announced Jul 9, 2015, 08:46 peteham
This video has been removed by the user?  
News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
11. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 6, 2015, 18:59 peteham
Kosumo wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:05:
3D Realms will be loving this - "Thank God that people have stopped using Duke Nukem Forever as a saying for bad game management"
The DNF comparison actually seems highly appropriate: Major scope creep, over-ambitious and unchecked studio-head. Poor project management in general. And several redesigns + engine switches resulting in a game that got stuck in permanent limbo until the whole thing was bought out and salvaged into some kind of sellable thing...

Perhaps a bit early to judge Star Citizen thus. And unlike 3DR, CIG doesn't have the trickle of cash from former glories to keep the skeleton crew running for the decade required to rival DNF's development (the people buying ships can't be that stupid, surely).

I wonder how they're paying their employees? They're surely well past 200 people by now. Low-Minimum wage and promise of percentages on delivery, surely. But Germany isn't exactly a low-cost country.
News Comments > Op Ed
79. Re: Op Ed Jul 6, 2015, 06:08 peteham
This quote from Derek's blog post really sums it all up rather nicely:
This game, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever. There isn’t a single publisher or developer on this planet, who could build this game as pitched, let alone for anything less than $150m. The original vision which I backed in 2012? Yes, that was totally doable. This new vision? Not a chance.

Best case scenario in my view is that they cut away the absolutely INSANE amount of feature creep and try to salvage squadron 42, the project I'm sure most of us thought we were backing in the first place. But the far more likely outcome seems to be a broken mess of disparate modules. That is of course assuming we ever get to see any sort of "final" deliverable at all.
News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2015, 15:36 peteham
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 10:50:
I rarely took issue with driving during a mission because they pack those trips with hilarious dialogue. Sometimes I arrive at my destination sooner than they finish talking, and I wish I'd have driven slower!
This! I frequently park a block away from most waypoints just to make sure the dialogue has played out, in fact.

The drive to missions while in "free roam" can be pretty annoying at times though. Especially when you accidentally bump into something and end up in a police chase just as you were almost where you were going to start the mission; and end up running half-way across the world again.

But yeah, it's the dialogue and all the amazing detail and random stuff they pack into the world that really makes GTA. And even though you mostly do the same things it never feels repetitive in the way that Assassin's Creed or Far Cry does to me, to the point where I quickly get bored by feeling like I'm ticking boxes rather than pursuing a story or experiencing stuff.
News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
12. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 26, 2015, 04:29 peteham
It should also be mentioned that they've admitted the E3 trailer/gameplay demo is slightly rigged for cinematic flair and expediency. The snake man/woman wouldn't actually get to use the grab move on the triggering turn, for instance (which would've been tremendously annoying).

A significant change for overwatch, if I've understood correctly, is that shots in XCOM2 are taken in sequence rather than all at once. So in the current XCOM, if you have six squad members on overwatch who all see the same enemy moving, they'll all fire on that enemy even if the first guy kills it - basically wasting five overwatch shots.
News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 25, 2015, 19:32 peteham
Can't really see much difference from a usability standpoint. Still retains the annoying carousel layout.  
News Comments > XCOM2 E3 Trailer
2. Re: XCOM2 E3 Trailer Jun 25, 2015, 18:19 peteham
News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans
14. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans Jun 25, 2015, 15:51 peteham
Just couldn't get into Pillars. Story didn't grab me at all, and even with modern UI improvements fixing some of my major annoyances with the infinity engine combat, it turns out I still can't stand RtwP. Disclaimer: Torment was really the only IE game I truly loved, probably because it was combat light and the combat it had was reasonably uncomplicated..

I've never really been able to properly "grok" stats in these games. What is +1 INT going to mean for my character? +1 Reflexes? Same as with the good old saving throws and THAC0, it's not intuitive/self-explanatory and you need to read the rulebook to understand how it works. Getting a proper "feel" for the dice rolls requires reading the combat log (or having played pen&paper, in the case of D&D), which zips by at astronomical speed with a party of six and twice that number of enemies taking swings. Most of the time, you'll be sifting through 90% junk lines of random swings and misses, when all you really care about is why that spell was resisted. The game seems to encourage experimentation through restarting the game with a new character/party rather than just playing, learning and tweaking as you go along, which is not something I have the patience or inclination for.

Not digging the rest mechanic either, but that's what the majority wanted I suppose. While the per-encounter skills help, walking into a heavy encounter with certain spells unavailable still means you'll usually be reloading immediately, after sticking around for a bit to see what's being thrown at you.

Backed the game high enough to get the expansion (does that mean part 1 or both here, since they split it, btw?) so I might give it yet another try when it comes out. I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't *shrug*. Glad Torment decided to go fully turn based, though it remains to be seen how it turns out.
News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
4. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 22, 2015, 13:48 peteham
Yeah, in my experience, based on 99% of the times I've had significant driver issues or BSOD, at least in the Win7 and later era, it's been the early signs of hardware about to die. Especially the graphics card, which is the single most RMA'd component across all systems I've ever built by a mile (6-8 of 'em, three of those were 8800GTX.. Either a very troublesome series or I was just unlucky). By contrast I think I've only RMA'd a couple of RAM chips, a single motherboard, a couple of PSUs and never once a CPU. You go, Intel.  
News Comments > Saturday Interviews
10. Re: Saturday Interviews Jun 6, 2015, 18:58 peteham
Simon Says wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 6, 2015, 17:14:
While I'm glad that the game is being designed specifically for PC, none of the reasons they gave really hold any water. You can do procedurally generated levels on consoles and current-gen consoles could easily handle the graphics shown in the screenshots. They could also have unique UI for each platform to take advantage of the different control schemes.

No, the reason why XCOM 2 is PC-exclusive is because the first one didn't sell very well on consoles. If they had, XCOM 2 would also be multiplatform.

If you had RtFA:

“To do that, we had to use all of our studio expertise … and our expertise here is PC. That's our home, and that's where we're really comfortable.”

"Focusing all of Firaxis’ efforts on the PC made logistical sense to DeAngelis, too. “Internally, with a relatively small team for the size of the game that we are, to be able to say we can focus on our platform that the studio has a pedigree for, and that X-COM: UFO Defense has a pedigree for, as PC-only... it just made a lot of sense, and that's how we wanted to dedicate our time.” XCOM 2 runs on a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.5 (Firaxis’ customizations are too extensive to easily move to Unreal 4), which in some ways has been rewritten to the point of being “unrecognizable,” and it’s much simpler to make that work on one platform than three or more at once."

Yeah, but let's put it this way. If the game had outsold PC by a factor of 2 on consoles, their priorities would obviously have been different. They wouldn't make a decision that would rule out any significant portion of their projected sales. I'm as thrilled at the prospect of having a proper PC exclusive as anyone, and while I'm sure the game will be all better for it at launch, I'm pretty sure Jerykk is right.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2015, 19:03.
News Comments > Steam Controller Video
7. Re: Steam Controller Video Jun 5, 2015, 10:29 peteham
Definitely going to pick one up when it's available. Doubt I'll be using it for FPS games any time soon, but for games like Witcher 3 that probably use the right stick just to look around with minimal precision required, the pad might be a lot nicer than a stick. Sometimes it's just nice to put the game on the TV and game from the comfy couch.  
634 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo