Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 613 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Magicka 2
2. Re: Ship Ahoy - Magicka 2 May 26, 2015, 20:35 peteham

This doesn't really look all that different from the first game so I think I'll hold off on the 4pack for a bit.. While the first hour of M1 co-op was probably up there in the top 5 of the most fun I've ever had in a video game, it went steeply down-hill once the initial newbie-chaos subsided and people got the hang of things. M1 may also be in the top 5 most buggy releases I've ever seen. Almost impossible to get a game going for more than 5 minutes before desync before the first patch.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
70. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 19, 2015, 03:57 peteham

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2015, 19:56:
There actually is a pretty meaningful difference between monsters that teleport in and monsters that are hidden by walls. In the original games, you could hear the monsters through the walls and prepare appropriately. In D3, you would enter a room and a monster would teleport in behind you, then another one would teleport in after you kill the first one, rinse and repeat for 20 hours. It reeked of lazy level design. On the scale of level design no-nos, teleporting enemies ranks higher than monster closets.
Probably also a large dose of having to deal with the constraints of GeForce2/3 class hardware, and their flaky shader feature set. I assume the teleportation-thing was at least partially a gameplay mechanic born out of the need to ensure that you were never fighting more than 2-3 enemies at any given time. Meanwhile, Doom 1/2 had you gunning down piles of demons.

I also think monster closets automatically feel more jarring once you reach a certain level of fidelity. Doom 3's levels tried to convey a sense of time and place, where machinery appeared to have function, and some story-telling via PDAs. Doom 1/2's levels were mostly just there to let you shoot stuff.

39. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 17:21 peteham

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2015, 16:18:
Lords of Destruction expansion was quite good.

It makes me laugh when people complain about monster closets when it comes to Doom 3, but none of the other previous games. Happens in all of the Doom games and at least the first Quake game. Pick up an item, flip a switch, step on a pressure plate...wall opens monsters come out. This might be right behind you, right in front of you, or around the corner so you don't know it's coming.
True about the monster closets, but then, the world had moved on and already given us Half-Life by the time Doom 3 came out. I don't think it was unfair to expect more. Quake at least had very strong multi-player, while Doom 3 was pretty much all about the single player campaign. I don't think anyone really played mp in that game.

Personally, I got the most fun out of D3 (and Resurrection of Evil) using the co-op mod. Monster closets are actually perfectly fine then. Would not have bothered with the expansion without it, as I didn't really enjoy the single player that much due to the aforementioned monster closets, and some annoying level design in places.

Speaking of expansion, wrong D3

37. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 17:20 peteham

*duplicate*

This comment was edited on May 18, 2015, 17:32.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization May 14, 2015, 08:01 peteham

Google has made sure the Android user experience for SD cards is quite awful anyway, though. A lot of apps, including the Google camera app, won't write to the SD card at all (at least not the last time I checked).. So if you're the lucky owner of an android device with undersized internal storage, like my old Sony xperia, you'll either have to use Sony's god awful camera app, or move your pictures and videos manually from time to time to free up space.

Heck, for a long while (android 4.4.x at least), regualr apps couldn't even write to the sdcard at all unless you rooted the phone. This is supposedly remedied somewhat in 5, though I wouldn't know, I'm never getting another Android device with <32GB so that I can skip the SD Card entirely.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2015, 09:56 peteham

I am notorious among friends and family for hating spoilers
I'm more of a "I don't want to know, on second thought tell me everything, wait don't tell me anything! OH SCREW IT TELL ME NOW I NEED TO KNOW"-kind of guy.

News Comments > GTA5 GeForce Drivers
47. Re: GTA5 GeForce Drivers Apr 14, 2015, 17:55 peteham

Quinn wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 16:46:
Another thing, can anyone tell me in baby language was G-Sync is? I read about it.. but I still don't unferstand what it actually does :\
Basically, Gsync completely eliminates tearing, without the significant down-sides of vsync (input lag in particular). It's particularly nice when your framerate hovers in the 30-60fps range. If your system is capable of 60-100 or more on a 100Hz+ display, you supposedly don't notice much benefit/tearing stops being an issue (haven't tested this myself).

I actually have a gsync display and it's pretty nice. It's perhaps more noticeable going back to NOT using gsync, than it was moving to it in the first place. There are times it stops working and requires a reboot (driver issues I assume) and it's immediately noticeable. I still wouldn't recommend getting a gsync display unless you have cash a-plenty, though.. The price premium is kind of ridiculous. I only got mine because I was offered a demo unit at a heavy discount. Especially now that AMD's FreeSync is here, which is also part of VESA/DisplayPort 1.2a, so I expect to see more display manufacturers supporting it. Don't think I've seen a single gsync display that wasn't made by Asus... Freesync being part of standard available not just to Nvidia, should make it more future proof. Though Gsync probably has to die painfully for Nvidia to start supporting it.

44. Re: GTA5 GeForce Drivers Apr 14, 2015, 17:38 peteham

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 12:33:
I've had that last night also and had to turn off the stuff in the Advanced video settings.
Thanks for the tip. May have helped slightly, but didn't solve it completely. Eventually tried turning *everything* down to ugly just to see how that would go, and that sort of fixed it. Except the game looked like a dog. Strange, considering I'm seeing people with lower specs than me report buttery smooth gameplay. (i5 2500k lightly overclocked, and GTX780 non overclocked).

Think I'll go back to Diablo seasons for a bit, and hope the first couple of patches accidentally fixes everything. The couple of hours I had available for play today were instead spent in the settings menu + restarting the game. Fun. I suddenly remember what I initially found so appealing about my Xbox 360, before the gap in fidelity became unbearable..

39. Re: GTA5 GeForce Drivers Apr 14, 2015, 12:19 peteham

Anyone else have god-awful stutter due to what I can only assume is loading? Happens while driving fast in particular, causing quite a few traffic incidents. Sorta killed my desire to play the game much past the tutorial mission so far.

Framerate is at a smooth ~30-60 fps aside from the loading stutters. GTX 780 and game installed on SSD. Haven't really bothered messing much with settings so far except for testing the GeForce Experience recommended ones, which didn't help much at all.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 3 Begins
4. Re: Diablo III Season 3 Begins Apr 11, 2015, 20:29 peteham

I let myself be talked into joining my old group for some season 3 play. Haven't touched the game since around season 1, and thought I'd still be completely burnt out on it after far too many hours. But so far, it's been a surprising amount of fun. A constant stream of upgrades again is nice, and so is not having to worry about my existing chars' overfilled inventories/stashes for a while.

Unfortunately, I also let myself be talked into playing HC this time. Haven't died yet but it will obviously happen eventually, it's inevitable.. Even with the ease gem, I doubt I'll be starting over. HC certainly changes how you gear your chars, and adds considerable fear of dying, but I'm not really finding that tension enjoyable. It's been more of a limiting factor that's kept us playing on fairly safe (and boring) difficulties so far. Maybe that'll change eventually as boredom sets in and drop rates require it though. We'll see. It's been quite a change from the usual T6 blitz through everything with glass cannon specs I'm used to from SC, for better or worse..

In any case, D3 is likely going back on the shelf when GTA5 unlocks, unless it turns out to be a buggy mess on release.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 7, 2015, 09:52 peteham

panbient wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 09:48:
It's an article on Something Awful...
Hah, point taken.

Still, I wonder how many of the comments I've seen regarding poor writing come from people interacting with backer NPCs without knowing what they are.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Apr 7, 2015, 09:40 peteham

So... These are the best NPCs? Good grief.

Still going to wait for another patch or two before diving in. And possibly a backer NPC removal mod.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 2, 2015, 17:21 peteham

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 14:02:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 10:52:
Re. Witcher
What does that mean for the PC than? 100Gb install?
This game looks so good and I don't even care for RPGs but I might buy this one.
Probably 70-80GB would be my guess, since they include multiple language packs(not subs) for the PC versions of the game.
I have a hard time imagining they'd bundle all the localized versions together if it made the leap in install size that significant. Certainly, my SSD space has better things to do than store German/Spanish/Polish/French audio and cutscenes.

Not directly related, Witcher being single player and all, but I'm convinced at least part of the reason for Titanfall's rather quick demise is the ridiculous install size thanks to uncompressed audio. Once you enter 40GB territory, very few people are going to keep the game around for the odd game once in a while. Close to no-one with an SSD, that's for sure..

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow
18. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow Jan 29, 2015, 18:19 peteham

Enjoyed this back in the day. The story isn't bad (at least my memory tells me it isn't). The usual B-movie grade, but it's more tolerable in games since you actually participate. Some of the choice/consequence stuff is fun too. I suppose it seems less "revolutionary" now than it did back then, now that it's being done in lots of game and probably a lot better too, in games like Walking Dead et al.

Brace for QTEs, as others have mentioned. On that note: Highly recommend playing with a gamepad, assuming the PC version supports it. It's way easier to pull off the dual directional arrow thing with dual thumbsticks. At least from personal experience, my brain wouldn't deal with both hands having to do the WASD, at least...

The second half of the game's story is ... well... bad.. In addition to these types of stories never living up to the initial build-up in general, they had to cut a massive chunk of the game to reach their deadline. I assume they haven't added any of this stuff in the re-release, so: Minor spoiler: The game basically skips months or years at a certain point towards the end, and weird stuff has happened, with no little to no explanation what so ever. But to be honest it goes bad long before that, with all the occult nonsensical mumbo jumbo.. YMMV.

Finally, the soundtrack (by Angelo Badalamenti of Twin Peaks theme fame) is great.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2015, 18:30.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released
13. Re: Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released Jan 14, 2015, 05:22 peteham

Hmm, I wonder if this DLC is included in my season pass? Picked up the digital deluxe edition on Steam for about $5 a month or two back while there was a pricing error. Half expecting the purchase to get cancelled, but was worth a shot and seemed like too much of a bargain to pass up.

Problem is, I hate horror games, and will likely never play it Just way too much other backlogged stuff I'd rather spend my time on, and it keeps growing as new stuff comes out. So maybe not such a bargain after all (like a couple hundred other games I own...)

News Comments > On Sale
10. Re: On Sale Dec 26, 2014, 09:01 peteham

Jerykk wrote on Dec 26, 2014, 03:21:
EA = Early Access.
That totally explains BF4, then (har-har).

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 22, 2014, 13:02 peteham

Love how "gamer" takes the headline rather than "high as a kite" or "mentally ill". It's surely one of those two.  

News Comments > Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App
13. Re: Leaked Win10 Reveals Xbox App Dec 15, 2014, 10:50 peteham

Verno wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:48:
Axis wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 09:42:
More useless bloat in their OS... as expected.

On this we are in full agreement.

Microsoft's treatment of PC gaming over the years is one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and its all the more glaring because its on their own turf.
The problem as always is that there's no competition in the desktop gaming space. Apple is a non-contender for now because of their restricted hardware platform and also because they don't really seem to care. And I wonder if we'll ever see SteamOS/Linux in a form that's usable to end-users. Even if SteamOS was a viable feature-complete contender today, it would still take years for Microsoft's backwards-compatibility edge to go away. Even a large corp as sluggish as Microsoft would likely have plenty of warning if they ever had to turn around and actually do something beyond the bare minimum..

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
50. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 17:00 peteham

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 16:55:
Oh my god that before and after description. "Like a box of dry raisins!"
Dark Souls crossover in the works. The chick is clearly going hollow. You read it here first, folks.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
71. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 19:18 peteham

Really looking forward to playing this after all the positive feedback.

For the ones who've played it, what difficulty did you go for? It seems normal is fairly easy but at the same time, one of the things that really killed DA2 for me was playing on hard (or whatever it was) and growing majorly tired of the game and the amount of babysitting required even for the endless amount of "trash" encounters. I eventually switched down just to get through faster, and the ability to auto attack through most thug encounters, but the game was already ruined by then, for this and other reasons.. Does Inquisition have enough of a progression curve and enemy variety to keep things interesting throughout on hard, or is it better to just melt face?

Also, how's the exploration aspect of it? Is it anything like Skyrim where you see something cool-looking on the horizon and decide to go there and check it out, or it it more in the Ubisoft style where you just follow a bread crumb path of map markers everywhere?

613 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo