Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for RP

Real Name RP   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 8, 2007, 20:50
Total Comments 374 (Amateur)
User ID 45559

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs
40. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 13:39 RP

"Just the fact that there's DRM in the headline and we've yet to have a 100-post flame fest or yet another circular piracy debate illustrates pretty well how much Steam has gained acceptance among the gaming community, even here on the notoriously cantankerous Bluesnews boards."

Exactly. In fact those who truly oppose Steam are probably written off by the publishers because they're a minority. I'll eat my hat if there's ever a 1-star rush on Amazon because a PC game used Steam as DRM.

I don't see this as an ideal situation (Impulse has a better set-up), but it's better than SecuROM/TAGES/EA downloader/GFWL.

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 2009, 13:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TF2 Scout Pack Nears
11. Re: TF2 Scout Pack Nears Jan 28, 2009, 13:35 RP

Then your mom must be the Shamwow guy because everyone knows he's the real Scout

(insert nerd-rage comment about how TF2/L4D is better than TF2/L4D)

TF2 is my most played PC game ever. It's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

17. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 01:57 RP

Way to misinterpret me. If you don't like DRM, fine, vote with your wallet. But don't act like you're justified in playing the game for free. And don't think everyone will support you're holy anti-DRM crusade.

I have some news for you: this is the future of PC games, for better or worse. WoW is a huge DRM scheme. Steam is a huge DRM scheme. If DRM bothers you so much, then you should just divest yourself of big name PC games. Ye olde days aren't coming back. I vastly prefer Steam to SecuROM or other such bullshit; I think it's a decent compromise.

"What!? The devs won't come to my house and blow me!? THAT'S IT I'M GOING TO THEPIRATEBAY YOU LOST A CUSTOMER!"

11. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 28, 2009, 01:21 RP

Any excuse to pirate, you cheap fucks.

Run Steam is offline mode. Or don't buy it.

You dickweeds come up with any excuse to get something for nothing.

1. Re: Empire: Total War Date; DRM; Specs Jan 27, 2009, 20:47 RP

So in six months, I can get a retail copy for $30 and then activate it through Steam, saving me about $20? If that's the case, European customers should also be excited, considering Valve fucked them over with the dollar-euro thing.  

News Comments > Operation Anchorage GFW Woes
19. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 20:40 RP

Smug alert: you have no right to bitch about bad ports and GFWL if you support the companies doing them. I'm only buying FO3 when it hits the bargain bin in three years.

If you pay full price for PC games, at least support the devs who give a fuck about PC gamers.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2009, 20:47.

News Comments > Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage
3. Re: Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage Jan 27, 2009, 11:18 RP

Rock Paper Shotgun has an article detailing the pitiful install process. Apparently you have to pay in MS points, even on the PC. (Assuming you can even get the damn thing running.)

In short: fuck GFWL and fuck anyone who supports that abomination. Save your money for devs who give a shit about PC gamers.

News Comments > On PC Gaming
6. Re: On PC Gaming Jan 26, 2009, 20:02 RP

Sorry about that. Here's the link, folks:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21876

News Comments > On PC Gaming
2. Re: On PC Gaming Jan 26, 2009, 19:39 RP

I suspect PC gamers buy significantly less games per year and this limits the number of different titles the market can support.

Interestingly, the head of the PCGA said something similar:

But yes, whatís powerful about the PC is how gamers will often have a love affair with one game, or with several games. That love affair doesnít end when the game isnít in the shelf any more. The console model relies on an attach rate of six or seven games per year, per console, right? If they donít get that kind of sell-through, they donít have a viable business model for selling the hardware in the first place. They have a demand that thereís a constant pipeline of games. I guess thereís this danger that games become too good, and players would play it day in, day out. If that happened then the console business model would fall apart. In PC gaming some gamers will have half a dozen games and play, say, Team Fortress 2 for a few months, and then maybe go back to Unreal Tournament 2004, or play World Of Warcraft or Civilisation for a few months. They cycle through these games.

(I fall into that category. I have so many old games that are perfectly playable that I only buy discount games at this point. Sorry.)

With a few exceptions, I think it's safe to say that PC game sales have always been less than console sales. This requires that you alter your approach: keep budgets lean, use digital distribution to reach more customers, and appeal to target audiences. Big budgets necessitate big sales. But I also think more people are playing PC games than ever before. Every game I play still has plenty of people online.

I've noticed that the devs/suits who complain about PC gaming don't like it because it's harder to control and monetize the system.

Edit: Gamesutra has an insightful analysis of the PC game market titled "The New Wave Of Old PC Games." Definitely worth a read.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2009, 19:44.

News Comments > Games for Windows Boss Axed
42. Re: GFW Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 17:28 RP

You're right Dagok; saying they lost control wasn't the most accurate phrase. Tumbler said it better: they want people paying for games in as many ways as possible. The Xbox gives them a level of control they won't get on the PC. On the Xbox, MS -- not Steam, not Battle.net, not Gamespy -- controls the show.  

News Comments > UT3 Patch Plans
15. Re: UT3 Patch Plans Jan 26, 2009, 16:34 RP

The Unreal Deal Pack sold very well during the Steam holiday sale. They did, after all, run out of valid CD keys.

I bought the collection for $20, but have yet to try out UT3.

34. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 16:16 RP

MS is shuttering PC game studios and protecting its Xbox games (no simultaneous PC release of Halo Wars) because it's lost control of PC gaming. Steam, Impulse, etc. already have matchmaking and distribution wrapped up; no one gives a shit about MS's half-assed attempts. MS isn't used to competing based on quality (where they usually lose). As of now, DX10 hasn't been a successful carrot for Vista adoption (67% of Steam survey respondents use XP 32-bit).

So MS is focusing on the Xbox because they control it, get a cut of everything, and can dictate standards. There's also a lot of growth potential.

I still think MS should make an effort to promote PC game development because the more people using Windows, the better for them. But whatever.

18. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:35 RP

How is that bollocks? You think there are secretly millions of WINE users?

These days, an OS is about as good as its applications. If Windows hypothetically lost its gaming edge, then it's one less reason to use the OS.

News Comments > The Sims 3 Delay?
10. Re: The Sims 3 Delay? Jan 26, 2009, 14:31 RP

I really enjoyed The Sims 1 and a few of its expansions. Before it became a money farm for EA, it was marketed as the "people simulator for the creator of SimCity" or something. As a SC2k fan, that's all the motivation I needed

But now I have no desire to play it again. It was fun 9 years ago.

14. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:24 RP

Meh, without good PC games, millions of people eventually switch to Linux and OS X. Gaming is the only thing keeping me interested in MS's sorry-ass operating systems.

PC gaming might not put money directly in their pockets like Xbox royalties, but it keeps people using Windows.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 24, 2009, 18:56 RP

My favorite form of co-op gaming: RTS comp stomps. PvE in Guild Wars is pretty fun too.  

News Comments > On Impulse Reactor Two
4. Re: On Impulse Reactor Two Jan 23, 2009, 18:18 RP

Agreed. I don't mind buying games from Impulse for that reason.

Any non-Steam digital store should be the same way. Everyone has Steam open and they don't want another client running all the time. But downloading and forgetting about it is a different story.

Already have Demigod preordered. Might preorder Elemental just to get in the beta.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Early Beta Access
38. Re: Dow2 Early Beta Access Jan 21, 2009, 20:17 RP

ahahah fuck Gamestop. Within 10 years, most games will be purchased digitally, PC or console. If the U.S. had a sensible broadband policy, we'd already be at that point.

Thank goodness the game doesn't focus on micro and base-building bullshit. I've never understood the fascination with managing every little unit or clicking around the screen like a meth addict.

News Comments > I Am Alive & Endwar PC Plans
7. Re: I Am Alive & Endwar PC Plans Jan 21, 2009, 11:16 RP

Based on various reviews I've read, I get the impression that EndWar is an RTS for idiots.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2009, 11:17.

News Comments > Dawn of War II Early Beta Access
11. Re: Dow2 Early Beta Access Jan 21, 2009, 01:54 RP

Incorrect.

Here is a list of third-party games you can activate through Steam.

Soulstorm is one of them.

374 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo