Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for bill

Real Name bill   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname m0deth
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 13, 2007, 22:46
Total Comments 139 (Novice)
User ID 44106

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio
5. Re: Rovio Acquires Futuremark Games Studio Mar 27, 2012, 11:58 m0deth

I haven't seen the numbers on Gorg, but to my knowledge tower defense games aren't blockbusters by any stretch.

Combine that with the miserable failure that was Shattered Horizon, and I'm trying to figure out what they think they've accomplished?

If the goal was to snap up 3d talent, well, they got that in spades. If the goal was to buy a successful game studio that could take them into places they were unable to reach on their own, I see disappointment in their future.

Angry Devs?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2012, 14:51 m0deth

@Verno

I used to think this way too, until I get there, and the grainy quality, off focused crap, with 14 year old speakers that sound like shit, mixed poorly, broken seats, sticky floors, won't go into the scam that is snacks, and oh yeah, NOW COMPLETE WITH TWITTER SEATS, and SUBSIDIES on shit we don't want!

Yeah fug dat, I'm good, they've completely ruined the theater experience between catering to idiots in their audience and the idiots in control of Hollywood, I'll spend my money elsewhere thanks.

You've pissed me off so much, I no longer believe the word 'blockbuster' exists, it's just marketing hype to drag snot nosed toddlers into paying too much for a bad experience. These folks might as well install vending machines for diapers, that may be more profitable.

I miss the days when Hollywood payed for it's own ideas/tools....can you imagine the reaction if studios 50 years ago wanted to charge more for color movies because Hollywood had to buy new cameras/projectors/film? Now, every time some Hollywood exec farts, he wants a preview tax on the shit storm about to come.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 23, 2012, 14:31 m0deth

Yup, and I can't help but think this is some fly by night group, seeing how many lemmings can be led off a monetary cliff with the Amiga logo stuck to the end of a looooong stick.

We all know the company that was Commodore died after 1995. Assets/IP/Branding were sold off to, well now, a laundry list of dubious owners til these guys ended up with it.

The funny part is they abandoned the AmigaOS completely, which is sad as in it's time, was clearly superior when integrated well with it's hardware.

$2500 bucks for a nostalgic toy...ain't Branding/Marketing beautiful?

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?
24. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 13:50 m0deth

@ochentay4

Show me a pen drive that can fit 291 games with installers and I'm there!

Do you even hear yourself? Maybe you might not know this, when you purchase a game license(and that's all it is)...you are protected from such nightmare situations, as even upon dissolution, either Valve, or the Publishers that signed on with them, would have to provide a way for you to access your licensed content. One way or the other.

Yeah, it would be a total pain, especially for that many games, but to say the fear is there because they may go under is like saying you shouldn't buy a Ford because your local dealership may go under. Kinda silly.

Now if Congress/SCOTUS continues to think they way they do lately, maybe those protections would be gone, I dunno, but then, Valve wouldn't exactly be to blame for that would they?

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?
22. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 13:43 m0deth

Endo wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 11:44:
"Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no,"

And that mentality is exactly what is crippling our culture and our progress as a civilization. You don't have to monetize every little fucking thing you spend 5 minutes on. It's ok for some people to gain entertainment, pleasure, or other benefits from something you've worked on without you getting paid for it.

Exactly, this is my problem with his comments...for one, it assumes just because they made something, that it has value for others, this is no guarantee, and never should be.

Secondly, it assumes every person "enjoying their content" is actually enjoying it. This would be marginal at best.

This is the problem with media, in any form, authors/producers automatically assume what they have to offer has any value, and move to enforce protection of something that the market may deem valueless.

Get this now...if every artist that made a statue raked in money for every pair of eyes that viewed their scupture, we'd all be broke. There is only so much value in disposable entertainment, and let's face it, games nowadays are more disposable than ever before, no matter how much was put into them. It's a sad truth that you all live in a cut throat business, but you need to stop cutting the throats of customers, and stop assuming everything you produce isn't a polished turd. We will decide that for you, that's how markets work. Supposedly

News Comments > Stardock 2011 Customer Report
23. Re: Stardock 2011 Customer Report Mar 22, 2012, 13:02 m0deth

Stardock's money maker (before the one-time sale of Impulse/SDC) was their Windows customization products. I wonder how that fits into Windows 8.

If their app to bring back the start menu is any indication, they are still writing bloated, buggy, non-useful software as always. Oh yeah, and they are proud of this all somehow....gotta love marketers

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2012, 12:59 m0deth

Perhaps AOL should sell off AIM to a solvent/relevant company before it goes under completely.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology
22. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology Mar 22, 2012, 12:43 m0deth

"I'm sorry, I know you guys get the short end seemingly a lot."

It's not seemingly, it's statistically, and yeah, you've ignored your core base for far too long. In fact...we're the reason you even have a franchise...as the first CoD wasn't even available for consoles, and arguably the reason for the franchise excitement.

I'll get poo-pooed for this I know, I don't care, PC gamers are PC gamers for a reason...we came to experience, then expect a higher level than was experienced on our older consoles...and yes console makers, you failed to deliver that in your subsequent machines. You instead opted for the LCD when marketing all that gaming prowess.

Now we're stuck with pinheads like this, who don't even have a clue as to the kind of damage they are doing to their franchise with comments and actions as such.

I'm still trying to figure out why this game still gets headlines, when it's consistently trounced by other games in terms of number of gamers playing, one of them being TF2 oddly enough.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 17, 2012, 13:09 m0deth

Don't be so depressed, it isn't the end of laptops. It's the end of the average Joe buying a laptop for simple needs because that segment was finally addressed by engineers vs. marketers. This is actually good. It created a new sub market, and once the hype, marketing, false prophets, spaghetti monster hunters, etc. all calms down,the laptops will be sitting there ready to do some work/high end gaming on. The same goes for desktops, just ramp the power curve up to NASCAR levels.

NONE of any of these items: laptops, smartphones, netbooks, tablets....NONE is a desktop killer, ask Newegg, they will vouch for that.

Society is still adapting to this crap, sooner or later, tablets will be a regular life tool, nobody will give crap one about who made it, as after everyone uses one, and they hit their functional limits...it will all be old news. My guess is though, they'd also still be able to sit down to their sweet custom rig and tear up in Crysis IX or whatever.(..yes but, will it run Crysis IX?) - tell me you can't envision that line!

I think that's something to at least grin over, no?

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 6, 2012, 19:06 m0deth

Everyone seems to react to Metro, but I just have no plans to use it,

Problem is, even in the Consumer Preview still, you have no choice.
Also, you assume too much about the legacy desktop in Windows 8, it is not the same animal as Windows 7 UI wise, and productivity ends up showing it. I still can't help but think this will waste more time than it saves, and having a more modular OS choice, with modular UIs made more sense, one kernel and codebase, and UIs to match the device that needs it.

I fear that approach was over the heads of the new Windows team. I can see where this OS will work on tablets, and that's pretty much it as Metro wastes so much fn space and time on a Desktop driven screen that it cannot possibly justify itself with bland mini-apps that remind me of shit Yahoo played around with ten years ago.

News Comments > ROCCAT PowerGrid Announced
4. Re: ROCCAT PowerGrid Announced Mar 6, 2012, 15:21 m0deth

Now if they could stop using the word smartphone, and supplant it with the more accurate iPhone....more gamers would keep looking elsewhere.

Using the word smartphone might suggest to some that this would support the OS on the most smartphones in use. It does not. It only works on iOS.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
2. Buy laptop, TV, monitor a while back? You may be owed money. Feb 26, 2012, 16:46 m0deth

And here we go again, another class action suit where those infringed will get a 5-15 dollar check, companies get off the hook scott free basically, or worse yet, still get paid to screw consumers, and a small band of lawyers get the $999,995.00 in fees.

Of course nothing from there forward will change, they will just do it again later when nobody is looking. Great system!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 26, 2012, 16:36 m0deth

Who wants odds on the random older Windows Live for PC game totally breaking due to this?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 26, 2012, 16:34 m0deth

Prez wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 10:06:
The MW3 sale put it back on top for a bit, but probably not for more than a week.

Now if it could only top their player count in game list, just once, it's cost might be justifiable.

Lol, getting your ass kicked on a regular basis by a 1/5th cost or worse yet, now F2P game like TF2 has got to be embarrassing.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 14, 2012, 16:12 m0deth

Another editor splits hairs with terminology which meant next to nothing to begin with!

Sensationalist enough? hrmmm

Anyway, at least AMD wasn't caught trying to make fools of it's customers.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2012, 16:02 m0deth

PropheT wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 12:12:
Optional nickname wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 11:46:
can someone please explain to me the FAIL by intel as if I were 5? I don't get it.

He's standing there holding a racing wheel talking about playing a DX11 game and the video controls pop up on screen showing it's just a video of the game and not an actual game.

Yeah, I was gonna ask how they didn't notice the VLC controls pop up over the "game demonstration".

News Comments > Kinect for Windows Next Month
15. Re: Kinect for Windows Next Month Jan 10, 2012, 15:36 m0deth

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 15:22:
nin wrote on Jan 10, 2012, 10:22:
I love their excuse to justify the $250 price.

They're basically saying "Just buy an Xbox with Kinect!"

Creston

Or, just buy Kinect, and use the free software already developed by folks unwilling to wait for M$ to market/monetize the software for it.

Either way, it won't see above 5% adoption for PC gaming, and will most likely be a bigger threat to Wacom and other graphics input companies than anything/anyone else.

I fear though, that this is a strategy, to have it intentionally fail, so just before the Xbox 720 release they can yet again claim some easily refuttable bullshit about the PC as a platform.

After using the Win 8 dev preview for a week or so now...I can honestly say, nobody will give a shit about Kinect for a version of windows that will be more widely rejected than M$ Bob, ME, and Vista combined.

News Comments > New Year's Mobilization
3. Re: New Year's Mobilization Jan 3, 2012, 15:21 m0deth

Sony cuts Tablet S price by $100, now starts at $400 for 16GB

They only have another $150 or more to cut until it's worth it's price! Yay Sony

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Dec 27, 2011, 20:02 m0deth

I agree with one of the original commenters here, that this sounds like a writer kissing as much ass as possible without having to sound like a complete meathead. He fails though, as it comes off like an anti-competitive whine barrage.

Many have also pointed out that almost all of these ideas are done, played out(so to speak), and obvious...so wanting to turn to litigation because someone made the same game as you(direct copying aside)...makes you sound like the guy who can't deliver on the better product and actually compete.

Wahhhhhhhh Bigcry

Here's a tip for those folks....Go work for a utility or communications company, games don't need you.

News Comments > New MechWarrior: Living Legends
10. Re: New MechWarrior: Living Legends Dec 23, 2011, 11:49 m0deth

Crysis Warhead(which includes Wars) is available now on Steam for 9.99 or less(never know when Crytek may feel generous).

I'm glad there's a little more interest in this mod, no, it's not single player, it was never meant to be. It was to test your mettle against other mech pilots in a balanced combat world. I realize folks are chomping for some single player Mechwarrior, you know, so you can run through the same mission 18 times til you get it right, but it looks like this will NEVER come for this IP.

So if you want some Mech lovin'...it's either this, the older games, or the incredibly complex(it seems so far) gameplay of Mechwarrior Online.

I don't know about you guys, but there's something fun about jumping in a mech, throwing down for a while with other good pilots, working as a team, and hopefully not being destroyed too much. The depth of play is what you make of it.

Anyway, it's gorgeous, the maps are nice, plenty of user made ones now too, so give it a try before you forsake it due to it not being what you wanted from some other game.

139 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo