Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bundy

Real Name Bundy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bundy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 11, 2007, 17:54
Total Comments 429 (Amateur)
User ID 44068

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2015, 14:37 Bundy

Ars takes itself VERY seriously. Remember when GamerGate was blowing up, and that tech journalist email list stuff was leaked. The one journalist was trying to rile up all the others and even suggested they all start giving Zoe Quinn's weird depression game tons of exposure, as revenge, I guess, for all the dicks on the internet? Well that was Kyle Orland, editor-in-chief of Ars.

I saw the headline of this and immediately was outraged. Then I saw the verdict and lost interest. A couple million dollars? From Samsung? Who sells hundreds of millions of phones that have Bluetooth? That's it? Seems like a win for Samsung to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 17, 2015, 14:21 Bundy

Youtube video has a guy doing it in 5 hrs. But I'm not sure if it's a speed run. It can be acceptable to have a short main story length if the game is filled with other things to do. Skyrim can be won in an hour, apparently. But if this is a shooter on rails then there could be a problem  

News Comments > The Witness Blows Through Braid Earnings
6. Re: The Witness Blows Through Braid Earnings Feb 9, 2015, 14:14 Bundy

Pr()ZaC wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 14:00:
Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 11:48:
If it flops he'll care. Feature creep is generally a bad thing. You have to learn to define the core and focus on getting that done on time and on budget.
Chris Roberts should teach him.

lol, I see what you did there.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 9, 2015, 14:13 Bundy

Yikes! That isn't cheap. I believe the rumour was that the Flappy Birds guy used a similar service to artificially boost his ranking.

As a developer of some mobile games myself, I understand. There's over a million games in the various app stores. Getting visibility is extremely difficult and Apple/Google/MS tend to only feature games from big dev studios. It's very hard for the little guy to have much of a chance.

News Comments > Morning Patches
8. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 20:05 Bundy

LgFriess wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:40:
Edit - sorry, this is in reply to J

Ya, it is. I find the combat in general really enjoyable.

But 2 things;

1. Sitting at a nav beacon waiting for a "wanted" ship to pop is kind of boring once you realize these wanted guys are just spawned NPCs. It's not like your contributing to fighting a pirate menace across the system, or presenting a blockade to a trade route or ANYTHING. Just killed a spawned NPC and in a few minutes there will be another. And another. It's like you're sitting at a game within a game. The nav beacon is just a fine tune your combat game, but don't actually expect it to have an influence on anything.

2. As a noob, I think "Okay, getting a little tired of running a trade route (why don't any of the demand/supply numbers change btw?!!), so I'll try to help out this little system I've been hanging out in by doing some pirate/wanted hunting. Once again, you could kill a hundred ships at the nav beacon, USS', RES... and a hundred more will respawn with no effect on the system as a whole. You're not helping/hurting anything. You're just looking at the pretty lights.

Here's one I'm not sure I'm right on but I considering the rest of the game I have a sneaking suspicion... bounty hunting in a anarchy system, find a python with a bounty, start to kill him, he warps to a neighboring system to save himself, I scan his trail and follow him to the system but he's not there. There are no other warp trails (FSD for those of us in game), he's not in the system. Just nothing. So now I'm assuming once an NPC warps out, he just de-spawns. Not able to track him down and get the kill. Is this how it works or am I just missing something on this one? If it is, it's just such a frustrating mechanic. I know you can track fellow players but NPCs just disappear?

I noticed that too, I followed an NPC and he wasn't there. I figured out pretty quick it's because the game is just a series of instances. When he warped out, the game effectively destroys the object.

It must be for actual players only.

I sold the Frame Shift Scanner after that. I don't like people in real life, and moreso in games. I only play Solo.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
2. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 5, 2015, 20:01 Bundy

I am. Won't buy at full price though. But I'll still get it, probably Steam summer sale.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Elite 1.1 Feb 5, 2015, 14:31 Bundy

I had all the same concerns. I voiced them on the forums, but they're just as fanboy there as Star Citizen's. They'll tell you that you have to use your imagination to play this game, DUH!

Seriously?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2015, 09:32 Bundy

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 08:45:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 19:08:
Who were Ulbricht's lawyers? Remind me to never hire those guys. Wow, did he ever make a mistake hiring them. That was their defense strategy? A few character witnesses saying what a nice guy he is - in spite of paying 650k to have some people murdered?

Since you obviously haven't read up on it, the government case against him is overwhelming and compelling in every aspect. His lawyer is doing the best he can but there's only so much you can do when your client provides a mountain of evidence to convict him.

He shoulda called Saul.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
30. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 14:22 Bundy

Ferazel wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 14:17:
The goal of GLNext is to create a cross-platform API that would reduce the number of these platform-specific low overhead APIs such as Mantle (AMD+Windows), Metal (iOS), and DirectX 12 (Windows 10, XB1). If GLNext can achieve performance/feature parity with these APIs, their usefulness is significantly reduced. Thus the hope of these engine developers is that GLNext will reduce the number of viable 3D APIs. This will help the engine developers by letting them focus on a single rendering path instead of the half dozen that there will be if GLNext isn't successful. (As a counter point, having a multitude of different APIs will make the necessity of their engines even more needed. Game developers would need to rely on the engine's ability to target these different rendering paths as it is unlikely that the devs would write them for each unique platform.)

While the pc gamer crowd of BluesNews probably only really cares about DirectX 12. The world as a whole is moving away from Microsoft dominance and PC dominant API design (especially on mobile and console). While the PC video card is really powerful, the design of duplicating RAM on both the CPU/GPU side is becoming a relic. Unified system memory is the future, and Metal (iOS) is designed with the assumption that the GPU and CPU share the same memory space. Thus you can simply pass a memory pointer between the CPU/GPU rather than the asset. If GLNext can't match the performance of these unified system APIs it's going to be a problem to make them cross-platform successful on both unified and dedicated memory spaces.

Wouldn't that be nice if buying more RAM for your PC would automatically upgrade your GPU RAM too. Man. 32G of RAM shared between CPU and GPU... But we'd need to be on DDR5 at least.

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
29. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 14:18 Bundy

Not sure if this will every come to fruition and give Microsoft a run for the money, but competition is good thing.  

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Feb 1, 2015, 11:19 Bundy

Redmask wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 09:38:
Like many authors Erikson's first novel was terrible, if you can break through they improve drastically. Scott Lynch is another author you might enjoy, he does fantasy themed heist novels that are worlds better than Sandersons crap. Richard Morgan is a solid author as well. If you want something more akin to Sanderson with adult themes and characters I would check out Joe Abercrombie.

I'm coming off as a dick here but Sanderson is the Taylor Swift of fantasy. Sure it might get you into music but there are much better things ahead

I'll give those others a look, thanks. Dont worry, I'm not offended, you haven't changed my opinion of Sanderson. I disagree with you completely, but you can think what you like.

15. Re: Into the Black Feb 1, 2015, 03:55 Bundy

Redmask wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 21:57:
Bundy wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 11:43:
I became a big Sanderson fan after that, his writing style is just much stronger and he can write a 1000 page epic about 5 times faster than Jordan or Martin.

That's because his stuff is workmanship D&D manuals with literal anime style powerups and overly detailed descriptions of magic systems. Sanderson is bland crap with threadbare characters. Quantity isn't quality and its amusing to me that people hold up him completing Jordans work as if it was a positive thing, for me its pretty telling.

The only decent stuff hes written has been short stories, mainly because the small page counts force him to actually propel the story forward instead of having people go super saiyan and spelling out how fireballs work in excruciating detail. A friend of mine plays this game where he tells me how much Sanderson has improved and recommends the latest book. The last time I fell for this was The Way of Kings and it read like something for 14 year olds, complete with 20 pages of fight details at the beginning and a battle system explanation. Never again hahaha.

To each their own. Everyone has different tastes. I know that Malazan (by Steven Erikson) came to me very highly recommended. It seems to be critically acclaimed and has a strong following. And given my tastes for epic fantasy I thought it would be the perfect fit... I've tried 3 times to read through the first book and the furthest I've gotten was 300 pages in before I just couldn't read any more. Was bored to tears. My friend really loved it though. Just one of those things.

11. Re: Into the Black Jan 31, 2015, 11:43 Bundy

killer_roach wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 00:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:26:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 21:19:
I guess winter isn't coming after all.

Heh.

I think he'll get this one out next year, then never finish the last one, but someone will write it in his stead based on his notes.

He's apparently said he doesn't want anyone finishing the series on his behalf, although he's already given the HBO producers direction on how to proceed through the remainder of the story. (That being said, I remember somebody mentioning that A Song Of Ice And Fire was starting to take on the same sort of feel as the Wheel Of Time novels, at which point I quipped "does that mean we get Brandon Sanderson to finish these ones too?")

Sanderson was great. Jordan clearly had no idea how to finish his own story. The last like, 7 books, he wrote were just meandering, nothing was moving anywhere. Then he dies and Sanderson comes in and wraps everything up. It still took 3 books because there was just so much crap Jordan had created that needed ending, but he just did 1 per year and done.

I became a big Sanderson fan after that, his writing style is just much stronger and he can write a 1000 page epic about 5 times faster than Jordan or Martin.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
35. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 14:52 Bundy

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 13:57:
No GOG.com, no sale.

No DRM Free, no sale.

Boy you sure hate steam!

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
34. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 14:50 Bundy

Luke wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 12:57:
Funny how peps want to wait for this game to go on sale , but don't have nada problem putting 1000$ or more for a pixel ship in star Citizen , Wall guess those peps are feeling important like " We made the game" jezz

I'm in for $75.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 24, 2015, 11:25 Bundy

Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 08:58:
Shineyguy wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 16:58:
HoloStudio is shipping with the units/Windows 10.

You guys should seriously give a listen to Windows Weekly. Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurott give a lot of info on HoloLens.

It sounds dumb and I have no interest in AR tech. I want to move away from Microsoft products in the future, not towards more.

Thanks Shineyguy, I'll give it a look.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2015, 09:32 Bundy

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 09:29:
Molyneux warns Microsoft: Don't overpromise on HoloLens.

Literally zero introspection or shame in that guy.

Thanks for Milo Peter!

I'm not sure if Molyneux is oblivious, sincere or just trolling us, and laughing his ass off.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2015, 09:31 Bundy

I saw a demo of some tech where they could create virtual haptic buttons using ultrasound. That would be pretty slick if coupled with something like this. Not that I know if any of the finer details make it possible. Still, a man can dream.

I think there's some neat gaming potential here though. My boy, a minecraft addict, saw the tech demo and just about lost his mind.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2015, 00:34 Bundy

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 23:48:
Don't hold your breath fellas. This is most likely vaporware. I'll believe it when I see it. Today Oxfam published a new report saying by the end of next year, the 88 richest people in the world will own over half the world's total wealth. The gap between rich and poor is growing - mostly on the poor side. Within the next 5 years most people will be worried about keeping a roof over their head and 3 squares a day. Not bullshit toys like this.

Well a bunch of tech journalists did get to play with it. Their first impressions are all over the internet. It's still in it's early stages but there are working prototypes. I think this is further along than you suspect.

It looks like it still needs to be miniaturized a great deal and the viewing angle could be a lot wider.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2015, 01:18.

News Comments > More on Windows 10 and Xbox
15. Re: More on Windows 10 and Xbox Jan 22, 2015, 00:32 Bundy

Cutter wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 23:34:
Just shows Nutella isn't getting it either.

Google stock? $520
Apple stock? $110
MS stock? $45.

It boggles the mind. It really does. This isn't rocket science. You've got 100 million potential customers for PC games alone. Never mind general office/work stuff. And they still think tying this Xbox scheisse to their OS is the way to go? Boggles the mind.

Cutter you still seem to be having trouble with how the stock market works. The price of the individual share is only half the equation for the total valuation of the company. And even then it's still a very simplistic view. MS stock is $45 but the company has something like 8 billion shares. Google's shares are $520 but they have far fewer shares than MS, the total valuation of the company is actually less. (385bn for MS vs 345bn for Google). Of course Apple still rules the roost with a valuation of 636 billion. It's dat iPhone!

429 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo