Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fibrocyte

Real Name Fibrocyte   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fibrocyte
Email fibrocyte@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 19, 2007, 13:42
Total Comments 1209 (Pro)
User ID 43638

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
40. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 12:17 Fibrocyte

Gas Bandit wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 11:06:
Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 11:02:
"I mean, people love control! Who doesn't? People love to be controlled and always monitored. Just remember that thingy from Deus Ex. This is the future, this is better. Trust us! After all, who wouldn't give up a little freedom for security and comfort?"

Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand.
You realize that, even in offline mode, Steam will store your usage statistics and just upload it next time it connects to its own server. So the only way to not be monitored is to buy a game then never connect again, not even to buy a new game. Except that Valve monitored you buying that game and stored it as a statistic somewhere.

Really, the only way not to be monitored is to walk out into the ocean and never be seen again.

I'd be ok with them storing up gaming data to report on next connection. What I don't agree with is a single player game I own telling me when I am and am not allowed to play the game I own based only on an arbitrary online tether. It's different for an MMO because the content IS online. This is totally different, and totally unacceptable.

Then totally don't buy it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
39. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 10, 2011, 12:17 Fibrocyte

ASeven wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 11:04:
Another retarded mainstream dev showing that the sooner pc gaming goes full indie the better.

I'm sure we're on the brink of going full indie. Really, we're *this* close.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2011, 22:10 Fibrocyte

The injunction only applies to Germany at the moment. It is not EU-wide (yet).  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
5. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 8, 2011, 07:41 Fibrocyte

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 23:07:
I thought one of the major reasons to use UAC was because its design made it impossible for malware to disable it? Guess that didn't work out so far. I had been recommending my residential clients leave it enabled because it offered a lot of additional behind the scenes benefits that went just beyond the prompts. Doesn't look like there's much point now.

It does add more protection - don't be discouraged by one article.

Also, UAC is hardly annoying.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition Details Aug 6, 2011, 07:45 Fibrocyte

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 5, 2011, 21:09:
Sometimes when I look at these threads, I'm convinced you guys are never happy with anything. But then I go play Terraria and all is right with the world.

Every bluesnews threads is chock full of bitching and crying. I have no idea how Blue attracted such a community but it is what it is.

Regarding Terraria - I haven't played in about 2 months but I ran out of content and interesting things to do. Is there anything new or any mods worth grabbing?

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
257. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 19:32 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 18:30:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 17:58:
Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.
Tell you what, you pay the $30 a month for the smart phone data plan (which is limited to 5gb only, yeah I'm sure I'd NEVER hit that doing stuff online with a laptop, such as playing D3) and the extra $20 a month for tethering for me, and I'd get that setup right away.

Yeah also I'm sure that kinda thing would NEVER EVER have any dropouts while traveling cause its 100% reliable.

Hi, Dev,

It's unlike you to miss the point but I guess you did.

1) Most people have internet access most of the time.
2) If not, you can tether through your smart phone as most people have that (note: most smart phones require data plans).
3) I seriously doubt you'll hurt your monthly data consumption numbers if you just want to play a single player game and all blizzard needs to do is retrieve your char from the server and periodically update information.
4) Cell phone tethering should be reliable 'enough' for point #3.
No I got your point. Your point was that "you personally don't care, so surely your personal experience applies to everyone else and they shouldn't care either" and that people without internet should just go spend $50 a month to get tethering (that's $600 a year to play single player!).

You missed my point in that specific reply which was that not everyone has tethering (in fact I doubt most even have a smart phone as you claim. I know many that don't, simply because of the cost, and they don't need it either. Most have a cell phone, but cell phones aren't all smart phones).

As for reliability, how often have you gone traveling? I've driven frequently around in places such as california and there are many areas where you lose connection or it gets so crappy one has to hang up. Even near LA this can be the case, such as going up the grapevine and mountains on the interstate 5 to get from the central valley to LA.

Its true that all blizzard NEEDS to do for single player is retrieve character and do updates for a SP game, but I doubt thats what they are ACTUALLY going to do. Read what this very news story says. It says you have to be on bnet the whole time you are playing. They are keeping SP and MP same characters. If its anything like ubi stuff, even a momentary loss of connection will prevent you from playing the game. Heck that happens to me occasionally on my home connection with uverse, and it bugs the heck out of me with settlers 7. Pretty sure given the info they've given out that Blizzard is going to be constantly communicating with the game, making sure every item of loot from every kill is properly authenticated with proper odds of dropping. Oh also, the spyware thing that people mentioned that some have ridiculed, just look at WoW. They DO spy on what programs you are running when you run WoW to make sure you aren't trying to cheat, and they ban people based on that info. They will have to do the same on d3 to prevent cheating, which is after all supposedly the point of the persistent internet connection requirement.

And this is all going to be dealing with real cash money to buy/sell items. Blizzard will HAVE to be anal about this stuff and constantly watching what people do and having stuff continually transmitted (not just periodic updates), or else it will get the heck exploited out of it for REAL cash. Real cash always attracts a heck of a lot of that type of people, after all we wouldn't have spam or most of the adware/spyware such as fake antivirus, if there wasn't money in it from people falling for it. That fake antivirus stuff is EVERYWHERE, I'm constantly coming across stories of people I know getting it and falling for it by paying real money to try and fix it.

Anyway, pretty sure blizzard isn't going to let themselves go bankrupt from people exploiting real money out of the game.

Nope - that wasn't my point exactly. In so many words, I'm implying that SOME people can say "Well, I am away from internet access so much that Blizzard is really putting the screws to me with this requirement!". However, that is the ultra small minority and it probably doesn't apply to anyone who is actually bitching in this thread. Tethering just closes that gap a little more - that's the only reason I brought it up.

Instead, having internet access is a meager requirement nowadays as most people (especially those who actually game) have internet access most of the time.

So yea - just a whole lot of unnecessary bitching here. People struggle to build their arguments but it's just senseless whining.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
226. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 17:58 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 16:43:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
I could care less if it requires a permanent internet connection just to access your character. Really, when do you people NOT have an internet connection? And before you bitch, maybe you need to find a guide on how to tether the internet from your phone.
Tell you what, you pay the $30 a month for the smart phone data plan (which is limited to 5gb only, yeah I'm sure I'd NEVER hit that doing stuff online with a laptop, such as playing D3) and the extra $20 a month for tethering for me, and I'd get that setup right away.

Yeah also I'm sure that kinda thing would NEVER EVER have any dropouts while traveling cause its 100% reliable.

Hi, Dev,

It's unlike you to miss the point but I guess you did.

1) Most people have internet access most of the time.
2) If not, you can tether through your smart phone as most people have that (note: most smart phones require data plans).
3) I seriously doubt you'll hurt your monthly data consumption numbers if you just want to play a single player game and all blizzard needs to do is retrieve your char from the server and periodically update information.
4) Cell phone tethering should be reliable 'enough' for point #3.

179. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 16:36 Fibrocyte

Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:36:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:28:
Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

You could not be more wrong, Son. I would feel dirty buying this and I know better after long years of forums wars to try and argue principles with those who lack them. It's like trying to talk to someone who has their hands clapped over their ears saying "Na Na Na, I can't hear you".

Revel in your stupidity, fool.

Okay, but you'll still buy it and play it. Then who will be reveling in my stupidity? Yea, that's what I thought.

P.S. You'll buy Diablo3 and play it.

125. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:28 Fibrocyte

Longswd wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 15:27:
Fuck 'em. I was already on the fence about no LAN play, but this alone makes it a no buy. There is so many things wrong with this I'm not going to waste my time listing out all the counter points, I'll just register my dissatisfaction and vote with my wallet instead.

No you won't. You'll buy it, guaranteed.

Also, is LAN play really required nowadays? Internet connections are plenty fast - especially for a game like this.

122. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 1, 2011, 15:27 Fibrocyte

Some people bitch and complain just to bitch and complain - it makes no sense.

Also, the real money auction house is a brilliant idea. Surely Blizzard will take a small cut and if it gets off the ground that's going to be a very nice income for them.

Well done, Blizzard.

News Comments > BF3 Preorders "Roughly Comparable" to Black Ops
37. Re: BF3 Preorders Jul 25, 2011, 07:58 Fibrocyte

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2011, 17:15:
Why do you people buy this shite? I suppose you all love crap like American Idol and Glee Club too, right?

What is "Glee Club" and how do I become a member?

News Comments > Batman : Arkham City Penguin Trailer
4. Re: Batman : Arkham City Penguin Trailer Jul 22, 2011, 13:25 Fibrocyte

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 11:46:
It should be 'fowl fiend'.

Hah!

News Comments > Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar
3. Re: Zeboyd's PC Sales Soar Jul 20, 2011, 12:03 Fibrocyte

This is a fun RPG. Simple to play and not difficult (I don't think I'll ever come close to dying) - but the character interactions make it worthwhile.

I'll play it while traveling and eventually beat it.

News Comments > Steam Download Changes
17. Re: Steam Download Changes Jul 16, 2011, 10:14 Fibrocyte

CreamyBlood wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 04:42:
I luv big werds.

'content system', 'streamline publishing process', 'aggregate bandwidth', 'web-caching proxies', 'content', 'painful', 'much smaller'.

My favourite is: 'satisfy spikes in demand when there's a big release.'

Seriously, who writes this shit?

At least the 'updates will be much smaller overall'.

For fucks sake.

You're a bit of an oaf, aren't you?

News Comments > QuakeCon Forums Hacked
2. Re: QuakeCon Forums Hacked Jul 14, 2011, 07:02 Fibrocyte

jimnms wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 22:19:
It's way past time I changed my passwords. I have 4 passwords that I randomly use for low security things like forums. I checked my password safe to see what I used at the QuakeCon forums and searched for sites I used the same password on. Given the recent spree of hacking, I'm just going to go through them all and generate a random password for each site.

LastPass is an awesome program for security. It'll generate a random password for every website you hit.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
4. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:40 Fibrocyte

DrEvil wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:28:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:24:
I'm enjoying Terraria far more than Minecraft.

There are a few things that terraria does poorly though:

* no easy way to disable monsters
* crafting is not nearly as obvious as minecraft
* crafting seems to take far more time in terraria

But other than that, yeah, there's a lot of things I like about it more.

I wish it was available for the Mac too -- Minecraft wins in that regard (far more portable).

- I never had a desire to disable monsters. It's part of the fun (random goblin raids, random boss spawns, its neat). But you're right in that if you need to do it then you can't or it isn't straightforward.
- Crafting is far more simple in Terraria than in Minecraft. You don't discover recipes from some weird ordering of objects in a 9x9 box. If you have the right stuff then you can make the item.
- Acquiring the good to craft stuff takes more time, yes. But it's the intent of the game. You explore area X, acquire the necessary stuff in that area, make weapons/armor/tools. Then move on to area Y which is harder and will let you make better stuff.
- No Mac for me.

News Comments > New Minecraft Beta
2. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:24 Fibrocyte

I'm enjoying Terraria far more than Minecraft.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week
14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 08:48 Fibrocyte

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 03:10:
Thousand player armies... what sort of magic internet provider are we supposed to have for this to work?

At least in the USA, bandwidth in South Korea for example is probably fine for this.

It's their responsibility to build the game and your responsibility to secure the means to play it as intended.

News Comments > Trion on Free RIFT Transfers
7. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 12:28 Fibrocyte

zerobytes wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 12:25:
Free transfers remove the only deterrent to extremely obnoxious behavior. Whole server has you on ignore? Time to switch to a new server and annoy an entirely different population. Another week goes by and you can switch back to your old server with a new name and annoy everyone who previously had you on ignore.

Trion also allows you to transfer every item in your possession so it would destroy server economies (if they exist in Rift).

Your case isn't a very convincing one. If you're on the receiving end of a griefer then all you need to do is ignore that person once and the job is done. You get to move on with life. I seriously doubt this will be an extreme problem for Rift (mobile griefers).

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Interview
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Interview Jul 3, 2011, 16:56 Fibrocyte

Thx for pointing out that Part2 has better info. I agree.

However, the article is riddled with typos and mistakes. This isn't a blog. I guess online journalism just has different standards than print.

1209 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo