Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fibrocyte

Real Name Fibrocyte   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fibrocyte
Email fibrocyte@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 19, 2007, 13:42
Total Comments 1245 (Pro)
User ID 43638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Video
8. Re: Watch Dogs Video May 17, 2014, 07:04 Fibrocyte

Cutter wrote on May 16, 2014, 21:44:
Besides being incredibly racist and bigoted it's very obviously staged.

Racist? You're like a neanderthal with a PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Kerberos' Kaiju A Gogo Teaser
4. Re: Kerberos' Kaiju A Gogo Teaser May 12, 2014, 15:10 Fibrocyte

El Pit wrote on May 12, 2014, 13:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 12, 2014, 13:54:
That sounds like a really good idea for a game, jdreyer. They would have to make it so the Kaiju didn't all come from ONE hole at one spot in the ocean though... just surround that with warships, depth charges, mines etc. on the first day and it's over.

Also, use your sword FIRST, not after the giant monster kicks your ass for like 20 minutes.

Don't remind of that dreadful movie, please. What a mess del Toro presented with this flick!

About JDreyer's idea: I love it! I'd call the cat 1 kaiju "Godzookie".

The movie was just fine. Not every movie needs to have an in-depth plot and top notch acting. Sometimes, just awesome creatures and good action is enough.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2014, 11:23 Fibrocyte

Can I play my PC chars when playing the game from a console? I assume Battle.net would take care of this but you never know...  

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
55. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 14:14 Fibrocyte

BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2014, 20:27:
EvilAsh wrote on May 8, 2014, 14:16:
To suggest this game is a wow clone .. is like Saying that Checkers is a clone of Chess. This is an action combat mmo rpg. ACtion combat is NOTHING like the control system in wow. Nothing. There is no tab targeting. ITs skill based controls. Thats right.. your skill is what matters. There is double jump, There is side rolls. All controlled by you. you have to aim at players to hit them. Thats right no auto target no auto hit. There is no insane CC that dominates the pvp seen. You will not get cc into the ground. The game has humor yes.. its like Borderlands 2 style humor. Its got awesome housing. Its got Tough dungeons..that will last a while. Yes tough dungeons.. and the idea is that you level up doing these dungeons to get you prepared for raiding down the road.. Oh and there is raiding content as you level up as well. AT level 10 you can experience your first 20 man world boss. And yes it has open world pvp oh yeah!!

I played the game tonight. This comment is officially bullshit. I can confirm that the game is indeed WoW with (a very shitty I might add) sci-fi paint job. The music sucks. The interface is AWFUL (it keeps putting up windows in front of what you need to be looking at). The graphics suck. It certainly doesn't perform as well as it should with graphics that suck this badly. AND, it's still hotbar based combat.

Why are people excited for this?

I've played the game for more than just 1 night and your comment is officially bullshit.

53. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 10, 2014, 08:04 Fibrocyte

Ceribaen wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:03:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:38:
Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

Downloaded it last night - gave it a quick spin before work this morning... finished out the tutorial area I think (have the choice now as to which area I want to go to and leaving the Ark Ship behind).

I'll say this - the music is nice. First mmo in a while I didn't want to turn sound off and just listen to my own stuff.

Made myself an Esper - combat is... different. Not used to having to stand still to attack (is this for all classes or just some abilities?) Otherwise has a bit of a GW2 feel about it (as a recent comparison).

I actually see this more as a crossover between WoW and GW2 from my first impressions in the tutorial.

Going to be spending my forseeable free time with it though to see what it's all about and maybe try an engineer too.

The way the minimap works isn't entirely intuitive though, I found myself more just clicking the quest to get the direction arrow to tell me where to go next.

I'll admit the tutorial area isn't the best (but it isn't horrible, either) and it doesn't take long to exit it.

The Esper does require you to stand still for many spells whereas the Engineer is a much more mobile class (fire on the move). Mobility varies from class to class, I've found.

I agree about the minimap to some extend. I ended up making it larger and then getting the zoom right so I can see most upcoming quest objectives at a glance without opening the big map. The game also has extensive addon support so any deficiencies in the default minimap will be resolved by the community, I'm sure.

25. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 15:13 Fibrocyte

Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

11. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 12:38 Fibrocyte

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 12:24:
Disagree with the negative posts wholeheartedly. I feel that Wildstar has captured every bit of magic I was looking for in a new MMO.

Wildstar is a very, very good game. It feels familiar to WoW because some of the WS devs are former WoW employees. The game looks familiar because it's a good look for the content, it will age well (unlike hyper realistic MMOs). The look fits the universe and type of game it is.

The classes are fun to play (I am not a melee/close combat guy, but I love the Stalker..and I very much enjoy the other classes I play as well. I am torn between a Spellslinger and an Esper right now. During this open beta, I plan on giving my Medic a good run as well.
The telegraph system is a good change of pace and allows more dynamic movement..and it makes people stay on their toes. The dungeons are HARD. This is no walk in the park for free gear like the current WoW model is running with. You need to be good and on top of your game to complete content. However, if you're not a dungeon guy..there are Adventures, which are really "dungeon-lite". Give gear, rewards, bonuses.. see neat content and feel like you're part of something. Also, there are Shiphands.. where you can go into your own 1-man "instance" and complete content.. and yes, get good rewards from it.

PvP is great too (and I'm not a PvP guy). No one class feels overpowered that I've played (all but Engineer to level 12)..everyone feels like they contribute. If you havenít seen the Warplot videos, do yourself a favor and absolutely watch them!! I love the idea of pre-fabricating my base with my other Warparty members.. I get to outfit my base as we see fit for PvP.. awesome! Then the idea that you can capture raid bosses and bring them into your Warplot to attack or defend..haha, awesome!! The bonus is that your boss can fight the enemies boss. I don't care who you are, if you're old school.. and remember WoW bosses.. imagine bringing Nefarian in to fight C'Thun ... dude.. that would be amazingly epic to see.

The game "feels" right. In SWTOR, my character felt "light".. disconnected from the environments he walked on, no "oompf".. but in WS, it just felt right from the first time I logged in. The paths are fun to choose from (I've done 3 of the 4). As a Settler, I was getting requests in chat for my buff stations..to which I replied "I need help in this area collecting items for the buffs".. and people came over to clear out the mobs. You might as "why did you need help?" The reason, even the mobs can be tough. If you use the old WoW model.. there are regular mobs, weaker mobs you could AoE, then tougher mobs, then elite-type mobs.. all mixed in. Identifiable though.. and the harder mobs give better rewards.. but the content isn't mind-numbingly boring, it can be challenging. Being a Scientist was cool.. scanning and learning about the mobs and environments. Being a Soldier required some help in the later areas.. as you spawn waves of mobs that come to attack something you have to defend. I always had people coming to help with the Soldier stuff, never felt alone, and always rewarded. My coworker loves being an Explorer.. but he's the type of guy to check every nook and cranny of a map. His Exploring unlocks more areas for the rest of us to find.. good teamwork there.

If you're into raiding, that stuff looks amazing. I've watched a bunch of vids and talked to beta-testing raiders, and they like how it's tough. You get that sense of accomplishment again. I don't see an issue with getting 40 people for a raid.. in fact, there are a lot of guilds recruiting for raiding. We raided a decade ago in WoW, without the tools we have today (social media/resources) and without really knowing the requirements (time/effort).. I don't see that being an issue in Wildstar. Everyone who wants to raid in WS knows what to expect.

The community is great.. the devs are amazing.. best devs I've seen in any game- regardless of genre.

If anyone has any questions.. I'll do my best to answer. I know I sound like a fanboy, but I am reasonable..I know a great game when I play one.

edit-
If you're not into raiding, there is still plenty of stuff to do for everyone. So while this game aims at the top end for raiding, they hit all the marks elsewhere as well.

Great assessment of the game and I agree on most points.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2014 Tix on Sale Wednesday
2. Re: BlizzCon 2014 Tix on Sale Wednesday May 6, 2014, 07:30 Fibrocyte

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 5, 2014, 22:39:
Anyone have any idea on what they are showcasing?
If it's WoW-related.. it's a lot more of the exact same.
If it's Starcraft..yay.. i guess for those fans. I just dont see how anything Starcraft related would be 'amazing' or 'must see in person'?
If it's Diablo.. go screw your yourself Blizzard.

Now.. if it's a new IP.. okay, i'm interested. Not interested enough to pay 199.99 for a ticket to see 3 games I already know a lot about

Diablo3+RoS is pretty hot right now so they may not bother revealing new IP. They already pushed back their next MMO which cost them a lot of interest.

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
16. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 11:02 Fibrocyte

InBlack wrote on May 5, 2014, 09:57:
Drazula wrote on May 5, 2014, 09:35:
When this first came out I thought maybe Carmack took some code with him - since there are no patents in dispute, the only other possibility is copyrighted code. Since Oculus claims there is no code, Zenimax is attempting to claim "ideas" that Carmack took with him. They have no chance winning that.

Suddenly ideas are property. Soon people will be more or less property, owned by the banks they owe money to, and we have slavery all over again. Can I have a fuck yeah for Capitalism! Fuck Yeah!

Suddenly? It's called intellectual property.

Also, it's spelled "onus".

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
9. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 09:56 Fibrocyte

Jamil20 wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 09:53:
It would be nice if every SC comment thread were linked. Star Citizen is mentioned at least once a week on here, and every time a new comments thread is created. In this thread, people just repeat the same tired points.

Bluesnews still runs on tech/code from 1999/2000 - no way could comment sections be linked like that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
5. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 09:53 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 09:32:
This game is poop compared to Elite!!

That's the best one in your list. I don't recall who made that assertion but wow... the stupidity.

News Comments > Star Citizen "Coming Together"
49. Re: Star Citizen Apr 27, 2014, 04:49 Fibrocyte

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 01:03:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 18:48:
I just don't have much confidence in ANYTHING kickstarter or publicly funded. Nothing has had polish thus far.

? Really? What's wrong with Shadowrun Returns? Or Wasteland 2? Or Broken Age?

You have to understand that Cutter, xXBatmanXx, and apparently [VR]Reagle are some of the stupidest people on the internet. Save your time and energy and don't respond to them with logical questions.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 24, 2014, 13:42 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 10:50:
Still no Tab Mix Plus for Chrome so Firefox for life.

What does TMP do that isn't built into Chrome?

I run Chrome with only the LastPass and Adblock extensions and it's perfect for me. FF has always felt too heavy.

News Comments > Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
27. Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 21, 2014, 16:14 Fibrocyte

garrywong wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 14:04:
wtf_man wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 09:22:

What I don't get is how they can afford to have so many accounts banned. Even with the client already downloaded... you have to buy the game to even logon. You have to provide a CC number that is checked for funds, so it has to be valid... or a time card code which had to be purchased.

Gold spammers do not use their own credit cards to create accounts. Accounts are created for them using stolen credit cards. Of course, these stolen credit cards are purchased on the black market first (or if they are part of some big network, given for free), but it still is pennies compared to the real cost of purchasing a real account.

Invariably, most of the owners of the stolen cards report their cards as stolen and contest the purchases, at which point the credit card company (VISA/Mastercard) reverses the charge. This means the owner of the card gets their money back, and the company that created the charge (in this case TSO) gets a charge back for the same amount plus whatever fees the credit card company might apply.

99.9% of the time, the companies pay up the chargeback without a fuss. Contesting a charge is expensive (it's almost always costs more to fight the charge than to pay it), and risks souring business relations, or outright losing business with the credit card company. And there is no company in the world that can afford to lose their business with a credit card company like Visa or Mastercard.

So you can see how baseless conspiracy accusations sound such as "They are not doing anything about the bots/spammers because they make money from them". They in fact lose money any time a bot/spammer registers an account with a stolen credit card.

As for the comment that the spammers have figured out a way to generate authentic CD-Keys for the game, that is highly unlikely. Back in the old days, single-player games would ship with CD-Keys generated with a very basic algorithm whose "key" could sometimes be easily cracked through brute force. Thus the proliferation of "CD-KEY Gens" for cracked games.
Nowdays, the creation of cd-keys is a much more secure process. Most cracked games today do not generate fake cd-keys, but instead disable the cd-key authentication system of the game (or replace it with their own).

For a high-profile online MMO such as TSO, it goes without saying that a much more secure method of authentication exists in place, using secure methods to create a cryptographic "key" that is used to verify accounts. Provided that no loopholes or exploits are found and abused, brute forcing such a key would be practically impossible. Even if by luck or devious machinations a hacker were to obtain the correct "key", TSO can simply generate a new one (fix any exploits abused), and use that for the creation of new accounts. You could even generate a new key on a regular basis, making this approach of attack practically impossible.

Anyway, you should remember that all games (and not just games) suffer from spam. Even World of Warcraft, at some point, was swamped with gold spammers to the point that there, too, were user-created add-ons to filter out gold spam. I do not remember how or if Blizzard solved the problem (I must have stopped playing or disabled world chat - not like it was good for anything anyway).

But to really solve the problem of gold spammers and bots, it takes you - the player - to help. Simply do not buy gold or powerleveled accounts. If there is no market, the spammers will move on. Do not let your friends do the same. Do not let your guildies do the same. That 50-year old guy that sounds like Sgt. Pepper on vent? The one who logs in for a few hours on the weekends only, yet manages to be top level with exotic items? Call him out on it.
It's understandable why they do it. They have the excess money, but not the time. They enjoy playing as high level with exotic items a few hours a week, but not necessarily the process of getting to that point, so they spend a bit of cash for somebody to do it for them (at which point their credit card details are stolen and sold / used to create more spammer accounts).

Some games work around that problem by legitimately offering players a way to purchase in-game currency. Games like Eve, for example, even manage to do so without borking up the player-driven economy.
Of course gold spammers still exist even in these environments, by offering the gold for cheaper than the game, so it really still comes back down to the players - don't buy the gold. If you want to buy gold and the game gives you a means to do so, use the legitimate channels instead of paying the spammers.

It affects everybody. It affects the game company, which means that is comes back to affect you when they don't have as much budget to spend on awesome new game updates.

If the company is charged a penalty for a stolen credit card then they aren't really losing money [they break even after the refund] and I'm guessing that on this volume they probably are not being charged penalties.

News Comments > Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
26. Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 21, 2014, 16:10 Fibrocyte

Plus there's this for the technical folks out there.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order this game. Now I know not to play it. I'll wait for Wildstar.

News Comments > SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ
19. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 21, 2014, 05:21 Fibrocyte

NKD wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 05:04:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 01:26:
soe and smedly WAS the previous publisher who pulled funding, because Vanguard's release would directly hit EQ2 in the wallet. This is why the game was forced out early. McQuaid had no choice it was release late alpha, or lose any chance of the game ever being released.

False. Vanguard was originally to be published by Microsoft. That wasn't working out, so four years into development, Sigil bought Microsoft's stake in the project out and turned to their old pals at SOE to help get the project out the door. This is where it all falls on McQuaid. He didn't show up the last six months of development, and failed to secure additional funding to get the game finished. So they pushed it out the door. After it flopped, SOE bought out Sigil and kept on some of the team.

I'm not claiming McQuaid didn't have problems, neither is McQuaid but soe's jealously was what caused this debacle. When it became obvious Vanguard wouldn't be able to recover, soe stepped in to by a CLEARLY superior IP to EQ2 for the rights to the world.

What was SOE "jealous" of? If they thought it was a threat, why didn't they just let it die instead of doing McQuaid a favor? It was a stinker of a game that had been in development for 5 years and still wasn't ready to ship. From every story I've heard, the only reason SOE picked it up is because Smedley and McQuaid are friends and he couldn't say no to his buddy.

Smedley is the ***on who created the idiotic F2P system in EQ2 first, where even if you paid the full $15 a month you still didn't have FULL access to the game. Not only that it was smedley who cause McQuaid and team to leave soe, because EQ2 was going in the wrong direction. So smedley cause EQ2 to be weak, lost some of the best mmog developers, created the most failed F2P, killed Vanguard and he's still making millions a year destroying soe's mmo gaming division.

Yeah, Smedley lost some great MMO developers there. What are they doing now? Oh yeah, they are largely still at SOE. McQuaid's right hand man on Vanguard, Jeff Butler, is Creative Director on EverQuest Next and several other Sigil guys are still on at SOE. And McQuaid can't even get anyone to back his current project.

As far as the "most failed F2P" I'm not sure what the fuck you're on about. Their F2P model is the only reason they can afford to keep older MMOs like EQ and EQ2 running long after the subscriber count has diminished.

You can try to paint Smedley as an idiot or incompetent or whatever, but SOE is a profitable business with several projects in development, so your entire barely intelligible rant should just be reduced to "I don't like John Smedley's decisions on a personal level so I'm going to be a fucking moron about it instead of just saying that."

Well put. I hope Cutter read the last paragraph because it applies to him as well. Such an oaf...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2014, 06:38 Fibrocyte

jdreyer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 20:13:
ChildChildren can swipe a screen but can't use toy building blocks, teachers warn.

Yeah, the rule is no screens before 3, then 30m per day after that. Not good for the kids.

/boggle

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 8, 2014, 05:39 Fibrocyte

PropheT wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 22:55:
Just how screwed up are things when they give out awards for telling the truth. Oy

It seemed like a moronic prize and then they confirmed it by giving it to Snowden.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Apr 8, 2014, 05:37 Fibrocyte

I have to completely disagree on the driving sim games. I bought one because of the comments on blues and it's not relaxing at all. Maybe if I had a better driving apparatus than mouse+keyboard it'd be more enjoyable.  

News Comments > On ESO Charges
2. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 09:43 Fibrocyte

Task wrote on Apr 7, 2014, 09:13:
Wow if someone has insufficient funds to play an MMO, they should probably be spending the 15 bucks in their bank account on NOT a game.

If your card is declined for ANY reason then you're unable to play, which is wrong. You already paid for the first 30 days.

This really is a shitty process.

1245 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo