Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fibrocyte

Real Name Fibrocyte   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fibrocyte
Email fibrocyte@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 19, 2007, 13:42
Total Comments 1254 (Pro)
User ID 43638

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 25, 2013, 09:46 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 09:41:
Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 09:30:
I'm surprised that they did not go with solid-state over the HDD. The technology is mature enough, the noise/power/cooling reduction is great, and at the volume they'd be buying they could keep the price down. Even offer a solid-state version for $50 more and I bet it would sell wonderfully.

SSDs are cost prohibitive for mass scale manufacturing, most laptops don't even have them standard yet. Space is important too, they want people buying a lot of content. A 500GB SSD is far more expensive than buying a 500GB hard drive at cost.

Most of Apple's notebooks use SSDs. So do most ultrabooks from any manufacturer.

I know the price is higher which is why I mentioned the +$50 pricetag. Anyway, neither the PS4 or Xbox1 has solid-state today which means we'll be stuck with consoles that have spinning disks for the next 4+ years and that's disappointing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 25, 2013, 09:30 Fibrocyte

I'm surprised that they did not go with solid-state over the HDD. The technology is mature enough, the noise/power/cooling reduction is great, and at the volume they'd be buying they could keep the price down. Even offer a solid-state version for $50 more and I bet it would sell wonderfully.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 22, 2013, 15:49 Fibrocyte

siapnar wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 14:16:
Anyone tried State of Decay?

It seems odd to me to purchase/play a single-player only game before it is complete. For multiplayer I get it because there is a higher potential for replayability.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
6. Re: Evening Screenshots Sep 17, 2013, 07:36 Fibrocyte

Ant wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 03:56:
Cutter wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 21:11:
Wheres my beta invite fuckers?
I got mine for the three hours stress test, but didn't get to pass the character creation. The game is so dang huge to download and install!

Birthing pains... it'll get there. I'm looking forward to ESO. I suspect it'll be pushed back from the current release date [Spring 2014] - as many MMOs are - but I'm okay with that.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
13. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 14:41 Fibrocyte

NKD wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 14:30:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 14:29:
From what I understand of it this is exactly what I want. I can "lend" games to my wife on her PC's Steam account (or whatever) while I play something else on my Steam account.

She can play Skyrim on her PC, I can play Fallout on mine. We buy one copy instead of two (because why would I buy two copies for one household - that always bugged me).

Gotta use a shared PC bro.

Hmmm... it says that if I look at my son's game library and see a game that I want to play, then I simply send him an a request to authorize MY PC to play HIS games. Once approved, I can play his games.

Yea- I just re-read the FAQ and it's not a single-PC scheme at all.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2013, 13:22 Fibrocyte

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 10:56:
Stop wasting time on your phone. I don't text or surf on my phone. I use it for work and emergencies and that's it. I pay $12 a month for an hour's talk time and I always have time left at the end of the month.

Indeed. Stop communicating on your communication device.

News Comments > DayZ Video Blog
2. Re: DayZ Video Blog Sep 8, 2013, 12:31 Fibrocyte

Techie714 wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 12:17:
I love the concepts & ideas of Day Z but after playing ARMA III I just can't handle the graphics of ARMA II. It's not like a minor improvement from ARMA II it's a HUGE improvement. Like going graphically from Battlefield 2 to Battlefield 3...lol. As soon as this gets ported to ARMA III I'm all in.

Graphics aren't the only factor. Using your BF2/3 example, I had far more fun playing BF1942 than I did Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 3.

All that aside, this game has been pushed back so far that it will be trumped by the competition.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 27, 2013, 12:44 Fibrocyte

Panickd wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 11:57:
And we need 64-bit cpus in phones... why?

Because 64-bit generally performs better?

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 24, 2013, 11:20 Fibrocyte

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 10:44:
That CNBC article is actually pretty funny. I'm pretty sure that guys are simply unwilling to go out on dates, especially considering the possible ass rape that the courts hand to guys, relating with and to do on any topic, or part of any relationship--especially kids, and separations.

Erm... what?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 22, 2013, 07:54 Fibrocyte

Chrome [my browser of choice] is a close second and I've always disliked how bloated FF, IE, Opera, and Safari all look and feel.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 22, 2013, 07:51 Fibrocyte

For those of us who never really played DK, I welcome a mobile version.

What I find entertaining about the "we hate anything that's not for the PC" crowd on bluesnews, is that it is highly unlikely that the devs who are porting DK to mobile devices are the same devs that would be used to create a sequel for the PC. Not to mention that a port is a much lower-hanging fruit than a sequel and will yield significant profit if done right. Game companies are businesses, you know.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
51. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 18:41 Fibrocyte

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 18:07:
GW2 this, GW2 that. I hate to say this, but the game would fail as a subscription MMO because it isn't worth subscribing to. That is why they have an alternative revenue plan. They don't want EoS to make GW2 money, they want to make it worth subscribing to, and therefore make a lot more money. If that fails, THEN they can go FTP as a backup plan, there is no reason to START as a FTP game.

Correct. And if you play WoW versus GW2 then surely you understand why WoW is a much more robust experience. The combat, the class diversity, the content, ***THE PVP*** is all vastly superior to GW2. I played GW2 and I enjoyed it but as JB just said it would not have survived as a subscription game and they knew that. Yet WoW still thrives to this day. Also, for the record, I haven't played WoW in years but I'm not so obtuse as to not appreciate what they've created.

I believe that ESO has the potential to be a WoW rival. I would really like it to be successful because I enjoy having a fun MMO to play.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 15:42 Fibrocyte

JeffD wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:57:
Guild wars 2 is living proof you can build a cutting edge MMORPG with no sub, ingame store, and NO P2W model! There is nothing, zilch in the store that gives a competitive edge. Lots of cosmetics, xp boosters, and pets. You can convert money to gold, but you would have to be pretty bad to not beable to afford the baseline excotics at level 80.

In GW2 it isn't expensive to purchase (or use dungeon currencies or karma obtained from events) max armour and swords, it is merely a preference because they all have their own skins. Infact as of now, it is even easier. All currencies are now account wide. This allows you to run dungeons and events on a main character and then purchase armor on an another. Imagine if WoW's dungeon and raid tokens were account bound and could be used on alts.

Meanwhile every 2 weeks, new themes content is added to the game.

Yes, but GW2 isn't nearly as good as a real MMO that's well done such as WoW. ESO could possibly be on WoW's level which means it'll warrant the sub fee.

Oh and those speculating on this going F2P are just idiots.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 20, 2013, 16:19 Fibrocyte

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 13:07:
One call by one drunk idiot I could see, but they said the got "Many numerous calls." Americans are so entitled, it's ridiculous.

Someone is jealous...

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Countdown
9. Re: The Witcher 3 Countdown Aug 13, 2013, 12:00 Fibrocyte

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:25:
Drayth wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 11:18:
[0:00:00]
BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE

I have chocolate Ovaltine and Ovaltine biscuits!

I'm sure you're in terrific shape.

News Comments > Sir, You Are Being Hunted Alpha Opens This Month
12. Re: Sir, You Are Being Hunted Alpha Opens This Month Aug 11, 2013, 12:24 Fibrocyte

Grumpy Sod wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 10:48:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 07:05:
I'm looking forward to this but I'm going to try my best to skip the first several releases and purchase in either the beta or GA phase. I often grab these games in Alpha and am burned out on them long before they're finished.

Heh, I do the same. I hold up Don't Starve as exhibit A.

Great example. I played Don't Starve and enjoyed it and then lost interest shortly after the first cave patch was released.

News Comments > Sir, You Are Being Hunted Alpha Opens This Month
10. Re: Sir, You Are Being Hunted Alpha Opens This Month Aug 11, 2013, 07:05 Fibrocyte

I'm looking forward to this but I'm going to try my best to skip the first several releases and purchase in either the beta or GA phase. I often grab these games in Alpha and am burned out on them long before they're finished.  

News Comments > Omerta City of Gangsters for OS X Released
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2013, 08:24 Fibrocyte

Rigs wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 22:16:
Hmmm, for the two OSX gamers that come to Blues - ENJOY!

=-Rigs-=

I game on both platforms, actually. I have a MacBook Pro Retina for business that is great for OSX gaming when traveling. I do use dual-boot with Win8 for when I am plugged in, but when running on battery life the OSX operating system is far more battery efficient.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 28, 2013, 07:26 Fibrocyte

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 21:46:
NKD wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 19:56:

7680x1440 is still dicey in some games/settings on my triple SLI setup :/ People getting excited for "4k gaming" are in for a rude awakening when they realize how inadequate even the best PC hardware is for the job.

1. Almost nobody here runs triple 2560 x 1440 monitors. That's more than $2000 just for displays.

2. To get the full benefit of a 30" 4K monitor, your face has to be withing 18 inches (45cm) of it. At 3 feet (90cm) a 4K monitor is indistinguishable from 1080p. It's kind of useless actually.

I've recently started upgrading all the monitors in my house to 27" (BenQ has a very nice one on amazon for $220) and have to say that it seems perfect. If I go any bigger I'll need to move my head around too much during gaming to see different parts of the HUD.

Also, I don't see removable vent guards as a requirement for my cases. I have never had an issue with just using the dusting brush attachment that comes with my vacuum cleaner. I've been doing this for 15 years with no issue.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 11:23 Fibrocyte

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 01:41:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 23:06:
Really guys? 3.5GB, and here your modern PC OS takes under 1.7GB on average with a normal installation.
Since when? Try 10 times that for most modern windows installs.

Go home, Dev. You're drunk.

Seriously, though, I'm guessing you misread the comment that you responded to. My Win8 install is taking 1.8GB right now. If it required 17GB then my computer wouldn't even boot.

1254 Comments. 63 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo