Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Przemek

Real Name Przemek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Soulburner
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2007, 13:24
Total Comments 54 (Suspect)
User ID 43517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 20:15 Soulburner

I can't understand why people make a correlation between file size and game length. It's like saying Dragon Age: Origins sucks because it's 19GB and it's a shorter game than Baldur's Gate 2 which was like, what, less than 2GB?

While such sizes may be a problem when downloading a digital edition on a connection with monthly download limits, I don't see why 26 GB would be a problem when 2TB hard disks are not a thing of the elite.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 17:34 Soulburner

Congratulations to Larian for Divinity: Original Sin! Acquired my copy on Steam a few days ago and I love every single second of it Allthumbsup  

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
20. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:06 Soulburner

I believe John Carmack, while he was still at id, said the team wishes to return to the first Quake game. I think Wolfenstein: The New Order was received well enough by reviewers and fans, so if Doom 4 also does well, a Quake reboot is very likely. But that's only my opinion - it's likely the id team has no idea what they will be doing next (although I do remember John Carmack saying on twitter that they were working on another, unannounced project simultaneously with Doom 4 - which was obviously halted or cancelled when Doom's development faced problems).

Not showing the Doom 4 video to the world is irritating, but I think I understand Zenimax here. It's just not ready to be shown to the public. It's easier to explain to a few hundred people at QuakeCon that the game is far from being complete (perhaps there were obvious bugs, placeholder items/textures/etc or even simply unfinished elements) and a lot may change than to release the video online where the Internet won't understand it's a pre-pre-pre-alpha-proof-of-concept material and declare the game as shit.

To be honest, the most interesting thing to me regarding Doom 4 (you can call it "just Doom", but it's Doom 4, live with it ;)) is the technology. We know nothing about id Tech 6 - what new features it has (I think the only thing we can be sure of is physically based materials, which is being implemented by all other major graphic engines) and how it compares to id Tech 5. I miss Carmack's keynotes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 11:21 Soulburner

False awakenings are a normal occurrence. It may not be common but it's not rare either and no reason to be worried. It's just your mind is awake and the body isn't - sometimes the mind wishes to wake up but the REM phase is still on, so it may create a dream about it (we wake up rather regularly, so it's easy for the mind to generate such a scenario).

It's also a good "dream sign" people use to induce lucid dreaming. Maybe you should try it - it's fun!

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours
15. Re: Wasteland 2 Linux Beta Next Week; Playthrough ~50 Hours Apr 10, 2014, 15:27 Soulburner

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 13:15:
2 years is more than enough for a game of this size and caliber. [...]
If I recall correctly, it took 3 years to create Fallout 1, so no, 2 years is not more than enough for a game of this size and caliber.

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
13. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 12:32 Soulburner

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:49:
Soulburner wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:46:
Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:20:
oooh, future Doom beta access. Because id is going to absolutely rock the house now that their one remaining asset, Carmack, is also gone. Keep your eyes open for Doom, fellas![...]
Tim Willits is still there. He's the lead designer/creative director, Carmack just coded the engines. If you would like to complain about recent (and upcoming) id Software's games, he's the guy to send emails to.

I see I need to explain things to you: The only good thing about id's game has been their technical prowess. The game design has sucked since the days of Doom 2, or Quake for some.

Now that the technical guy is gone, all they have left is their design guys, who have already proven themselves to be terrible.

So what's left to cheer for? Oh, right.
I loved Doom 2, all the Quake games (even Raven's Quake 4), I liked Doom 3 a lot (especially the BFG edition, which seems to be how Doom 3 should have been from the start) and I loved Rage.

So, for me, id games are very good. They're fun and the "gunplay" of Rage was brilliant. I do not think it impossible for other programmer geniuses to take over Carmack's work properly.

News Comments > Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access
6. Re: Wolfenstein in May; Preorders Get Future DOOM Beta Access Feb 19, 2014, 11:46 Soulburner

Creston wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 11:20:
oooh, future Doom beta access. Because id is going to absolutely rock the house now that their one remaining asset, Carmack, is also gone. Keep your eyes open for Doom, fellas![...]
Tim Willits is still there. He's the lead designer/creative director, Carmack just coded the engines. If you would like to complain about recent (and upcoming) id Software's games, he's the guy to send emails to.

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
23. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 17:33 Soulburner

Wouldn't it be fun if Bethesda decided to make a new The Elder Scrolls installment and hired Obsidian to do Fallout 4?  

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
33. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 12, 2013, 03:18 Soulburner

It's interesting to see so many negative opinions about this here and on other sites. I was very impressed. Could you control a game like Civ5 with a gamepad as comfortably? The precision shown in Portal 2 and CounterStrike was also huge when compared with a traditional gamepad.

There's this one thing we need to remember: this is not supposed to replace mouse and keyboard for gaming. It's supposed to give a lot more precision than analog sticks and allow users to play keyboard+mouse only games on a big screen while sitting or laying on a couch. To me, this is huge.

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
36. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 18, 2013, 04:57 Soulburner

Windows 8 is alright. I do not believe in tests people supposedly performed on others that conclude this OS is bad.
From my experience, more people like Win8 than hate it.

When Windows 7 was released most people said it's Windows Vista with an updated user interface. That it's a service pack. Suddenly, at some point in time, Win7 began to be regarded the best Windows ever released. Why? I don't know, maybe people just got used to it?

Windows 8 is not perfect. The difference between Metro and Desktop is still jarring. Metro apps are mostly useless, at least on a desktop PC. But things like the new copy window, new explorer, task manager, WIN+X menu, speed improvements (not just the boot time but also something as mundane as starting Computer Management, for example), video driver model updates (the screen is no longer turned off during logoff), better support for large external disks (explorer showing the real copy speed to a 32GB pendrive - Win7 will sometimes copy a big file quickly but then pause at 99% for a while), checkdisk no longer taking hours on a volume that needs fixing, PowerShell improvements, etc.... these are all very good things and a significant improvement over Windows 7.

Would I recommend every Windows 7 user to upgrade to Windows 8? Nope. But I wouldn't recommend upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista either.

Regarding Linux gaming - I believe it's a great idea and I'm happy to see Valve pushing for it. Many home users avoid Linux distributions because of problems with games. If more games support this OS, more people will use it and it will help both Linux and Windows because competition is always a good thing and having more options doesn't hurt. It would also be interesting from a performance perspective: is Windows the best optimized system for games? Based on what Valve said about Left4Dead tests it may not necessarily be so.

edit - @Burrito of Peace: indexing is not enabled for all locations. Only user folders, like appdata, documents, downloads, desktop, etc. Just like it always has been. Task manager improvements are based on Mark Russinovich's Process Explorer application, but - oh no, cannot be! - he's a Microsoft employee. Doesn't matter if he was Sysinternals nearly a decade ago.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2013, 05:02.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November
12. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition in November Aug 31, 2013, 03:57 Soulburner

I absolutely love how this looks and I will gladly play this game again  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Video
6. Re: Wasteland 2 Video Aug 29, 2013, 03:47 Soulburner

Looks great, can't wait to play it  

News Comments > id: RAGE "Not Dead"
17. Re: id: RAGE Aug 4, 2013, 16:33 Soulburner

I loved Rage and would very much like to play a Rage 2.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2013, 18:04 Soulburner

Very happy about Shadowrun Returns
Congratulations to developers!

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Announced
11. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Announced Jul 25, 2013, 12:50 Soulburner

So what's exactly going on with Monolith Productions anyway?  

News Comments > Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2
45. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 12, 2013, 04:35 Soulburner

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 21:44:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:34:
At this point you and everyone else who refuses to read should be banned and removed from the internet.

Too bad for you that everyone's allowed to have an opinion. Even a person who is as unable to read as you.

Unlike you, I am not a fan of middlemen like Deep Silver and EA taking a piece of the pie. I much prefer them on the outside looking in, since they haven't been interested in the types of games I like to play. That was one of the great things about funding games by Kickstarter. There is going to be at least some cannibalization of digital sales by having physical copies of the game, which means Deep Silver gets paid off our KS backing.

If inXile would like to cut in the traditional distributor/publisher types, I would prefer to know up front. Might as well just fund KS at the minimum level then.

So you would prefer inXile to handle physical distribution by themselves too? You do realize that would make significantly less Kickstarter money available to make the game? Hiring a distributor who will only get a cut from the physical sales is the right way to go. Nothing is compromised and there's more money for the game.

Deep Silver has no say in the content of the game, release date, DRM, etc - *nothing*. They may put their logo on the box, though.

This is not a classical publisher-developer deal. It's just distribution. Deep Silver will not get any money from digital sales, so if you hate them so much - simply buy it online and download.

19. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:23 Soulburner

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:11:
Soulburner wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:04:
In this case, Deep Silver is the kind of publisher who handles physical copies distribution only.

Right, I'm not saying Deep Silver suddenly gets to say what goes in the game and what doesn't, but why bother with physical copies to begin with? Do they really think they're going to sell enough physical copies to even make it worth doing this?

Creston

That's a good point. I didn't buy a physical copy of a game in ages and I don't think anyone is shocked to find a game distributed only digitally in 2013. However, we don't know the exact details of the deal and I'm not an accountant or a marketing guru - it must be somehow profitable. If they don't have to invest in the physical distribution and only share some percentage of the price with Deep Silver it's not a bad thing, I guess.

17. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:04 Soulburner

I think there's a difference between a publisher and a publisher - let me explain: when the publisher is financing your game, they have creative control over it. They can tell you to add stuff, to remove and change things, to implement their choice of DRM and tell you when to release it, whether it's ready or not.

In this case, Deep Silver is the kind of publisher who handles physical copies distribution only. They will earn some percentage of the sale, of course, but it is going to be significantly cheaper than inXile handling everything themselves. Thus there will be more money invested in the game itself - which is also 100% financed already, if I must remind you.

It's kind of similar with Valve and EA - EA has no say in how Valve works on their games. EA simply lets you buy a physical copy of, for example, The Orange Box. Nothing more.

I like the new screenshot, although I'm not a fan of depth of field effect, but I bet there will be an option to disable it. Can't wait for the game - I'm not a backer of the Kickstarter campaign but I will buy it once it released on day one. I love such games and I'm kind of sick of fantasy-based RPGs

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle
20. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 17:35 Soulburner

I'm playing the Enhanced Edition right now and I love it. Never played BG before, so I don't really know if this edition is good or bad when compared with the original, but at least it runs in widescreen without patching stuff. And I can zoom in/out the view with the scroll wheel.

The upcoming update is (or was... I hope it still is) also very interesting. A modified user interface, different method of scaling (finally making the whole UI sharp - right now it's a bit blurry due to how the interface is scaled), lots of bugfixes... and an Android version.

I really hope this legal weirdness gets resolved soon and the current developers get to keep working on it.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Revival Details
18. Re: Shadow Warrior Revival Details May 21, 2013, 03:45 Soulburner

Baseball wrong. Man with four balls cannot walk.

If the humour is there, cartoony graphics with over the top gore, then I'm sold

edit - this looks good: https://twitter.com/_ShadowWarrior/status/336689275963858944

54 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo