Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3172 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Jul 31, 2014, 16:44 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 15:31:
Watch_Dogs PC Patch (2014-07-29). Addresses stuttering.

Wasn't the PC supposed to be the lead platform when this thing was in early development?

Guess we know where that went.

PC being "lead platform" doesn't ensure a high level of quality or optimization, or any at all, as the myriad shitty, bug-ridden PC exclusives over the last 20 years will tell you.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series
1. Re: Defiance Game Not Dependent on TV Series Jul 31, 2014, 09:30 NKD

Eh, I watch the show and have never played the game, so I imagine there are plenty of people who play the game but don't watch the show.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
40. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 08:16 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 03:23:
NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 02:17:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 01:57:
The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.

If, like he claims, they aren't sexually involved, then he probably wasn't worrying too much about fact-checking her age.

Yup, although it looks like he was taking some pics of her in a hotel bedroom? Also, there's a weak implication with this pic that she's his girlfriend (although this could be just a pic to make the joke, too). I'll probably forget about this by tomorrow, but it would be interesting to know the final outcome of this case. Whoever did this to that poor girl seriously fucked her up. She deserves justice and the perp (whoever he is) deserves a long jail sentence.

EDIT: Actually, he calls her his girlfriend in his July 2 post:
Check out this awesome video From #ClubCosplay. Relly informative about getting the nerd culture on the club scene! also check out my awesome Girl Friend and I at at 0:54!
Here's the video where the girl kisses him at the :54 mark. It's obviously "Milly" in her witch costume (another, different bedroom shot). So even if he didn't beat her up, these charges will probably end up sticking: He was booked into San Diego County Jail at 11:20 am on charges of sexual contact with a minor and contributing to the delinquency of minor. Although, I will say that it's stupid that the age of consent for Cali is 18. If this had taken place in most other states, there'd be no charges filed.

Good internet sleuthing. So potentially either she or her boyfriend copped to the relationship when the police were talking to them, but she indicated he wasn't involved in what happened to her. That would explain how he'd be charged with those other things but not assault. But we really don't know I guess.

Though if he wasn't involved in this attack, I agree it's bullshit that the police are giving him a hard time. 16 and 17 are considered old enough to be making your own relationship decisions in virtually all of the civilized world and many states here in the US.

It's not like the dude is running around preying on little kids. Girl is taller and older looking than he is.

Luckily for this dude, in California, these statutory charges don't get you on the big bad sex offender list if they are at least 16. The prosecutor can also choose to charge it as a misdemeanor if they are feeling nice, and since she is not under 16 even if he gets hit with the felony, the penalties are a lot less.

But yeah, I worry that if this guy is not the attacker then they may never catch who did this. They could be in another state or country by now for all we know.

37. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 02:17 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 01:57:
The suspect's story sounds plausible, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's odd that he describes her as a "close friend" yet claimed that he thought she was 20, supposedly not knowing she just turned 17. On the other hand, if you only saw her in costume and makeup all the time, it might be easy to make the assumption she was older. I assume the guy who was arrested was the Project Cosplay guy that took the Daphne and Velma pics on her Facebook page.

If, like he claims, they aren't sexually involved, then he probably wasn't worrying too much about fact-checking her age.

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 01:47 NKD

According to that link he claims she was found beaten in the pool area of the hotel? That doesn't make much sense. You'd think they'd have security cameras there. Earlier reports from her mother said she was found on the side of a road somewhere.  

News Comments > Where Crytek Stands
14. Re: Where Crytek Stands Jul 31, 2014, 01:27 NKD

Cevat Yerli, aka the Iraqi Disinformation Minister 2.0

Face it, your goose is cooked Yerli.

News Comments > APB Reloaded Bans, Shames Cheaters
8. Re: APB Reloaded Bans, Shames Cheaters Jul 31, 2014, 01:23 NKD

Out of their list of 212 banned players, nearly all of them are Europeans. Is the game just way more popular in Europe or are Europeans just cheating assbags?  

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 23:49 NKD

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:11:
Yeah, people get that, but talking about safety directly after an assault has happened is crass and demonstrates a lack of decency.

Alright, what's the appropriate waiting period after a crime before we're allowed to discuss proper safety precautions at major events?

It's not like we're having this discussion on the girls Facebook page. Her recovery and well-being are not impacted by people elsewhere having a discussion about safety. I'm sure she's got all the sympathy and support she could hope for during this shit.

Also, come to think of it, when the fuck else are we supposed to have the conversation on this site? I'm not going to go back and dig up this post a month from now and expect people to read anything I've posted. On Blue's, we can only reasonably discuss a topic on the post that actually brings it up. The forum part of the site isn't exactly popular.

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 15:59 NKD

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:48:
It will always boggle my mind this instant reflex or need that people seem to have....when they hear someone has been beaten or raped or whatever...to firstly ask "what did they do to make themselves a target". Blows my mind every time. As if it matters.

It's not about blaming her or whatever, it's about using the situation to teach others. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation that reinforces the need to educate people on the buddy system and safety in numbers when attending events.

This could happen to anyone, not just teens, not just girls. EVERYONE needs to take basic safety precautions at these types of events.

It matters. If a little education can prevent more people from being victimized, it absolutely matters.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 14:37 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 14:26:
I don't know. A lot of people think of rape as being a crime of physically overwhelming someone. They think of rapists as being a guy in a dark park waiting for some jogger to run by.

Well, lacking any more details, this does seem to fall more into that category. Of course we don't know if she was raped, or what, but she was certainly attacked and beaten. This obviously wasn't a case of some drunken college students being dumbasses. That usually doesn't end in a girl bloody and unconscious on a street with no ID.

There isn't any legal gray area regarding beating some girl and leaving her in the street, so I think that discussion is a bit of a sidetrack.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 14:19 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:57:
Well, the whole thing with "rape culture" is that you hear so much about what women should do to avoid being raped, but you rarely hear a guy being told "don't rape."

I rarely hear people being told not to murder other people either. But they still, in general, don't do it. Pretending men need education that rape is wrong is giving these fuckers a free pass. They know damn well its wrong. As does every guy who isn't a sociopath. With the exception of bumfuck Africa where some voodoo witchdoctor is telling everyone raping a virgin cures AIDS, rape isn't about ignorance or culture it's about being a shitty human being.

Yes, there are some things you can do that are stupid. If you drink, drive, and crash into a tree, you're stupid and your actions led to your suffering. If you go out to a bar, don't drink, drive home at 1:30 am and are hit by a drunk driver, yes, you could have avoided the roads when a significant portion of drivers are drunk, but does that mean that you deserve blame?

While it's statistically less safe to be driving in such a situation, there's not much you can do to avoid it other than just hiding in your house and forgoing a night out with friends.

Here's two different scenarios:

You're hit by a drunk driver, you weren't wearing your seatbelt.
You're hit by a drunk driver, you were out at 1:30AM and there were more drunk drivers on the street.

In the first scenario, you failed to take a basic safety precaution. You weren't being oppressed or discriminated against by being encouraged to wear a seatbelt. It's okay to expect people to take basic precautions to ensure their own safety.

In the second scenario, you took basic safety precautions. The only thing you could have done to avoid it is to refrain from taking part in a perfectly normal activity. It's NOT okay to expect people to refrain from their normal day to day behaviors, or avoid having fun, because it's technically more risky.

This girl may have had sexual relations with a 29 year old at Comicon. And she may have then ended up beaten and bloody in a street. One of those does not inherently lead to the other. I'll wager more than a handful of guys here have ended up at a strange location having sex with someone they only just met. It didn't end up with them bloody in a street.

So to relate this girls situation to my previous example. It's okay to expect her to take basic precautions like distrusting strangers and sticking with a group. I try to take these same precautions at cons and sporting events and I am a large, strong male. It's NOT okay to expect her to dress conservatively or forgo attendance at the event entirely.

One is a needless risk taking behavior that can be avoided without much trouble. The other isn't a significant risk factor and would place undue burden on the girl to avoid.

It's not black & white bro. Hiding in your house to avoid dying in a car accident is stupid, wearing your seatbelt to avoid dying in a car accident is smart.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:40 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:31:

Moral of the post doesn't seem to be "hey, guys, don't beat 17 year old girls and leave them bloody in the street," but "hey, 17 year old girls, don't have fun skimpily dressed with your friends at a place full of skimpily dressed people because some guy may beat you."

Yeah, seems that way. I'm all for personal responsibility. I think this girl did make a shitty decision, not that it excuses this guys behavior, but lets at least point out the decision she made that actually put her at risk. Instead of the one that doesn't comport with conservative values regarding sexuality.

How do you avoid getting fucked over at a major event? SAFETY IN NUMBERS. You can be wearing fucking pasties and a Tribble from Star Trek over your snatch and be perfectly safe at a con, as long as you stay in a group. Or you could be wearing normal street clothes and end up a victim because you weren't in a group.

Women are much more likely to be victimized by strangers on the street. It's a simple fact. What they are wearing doesn't really swing that statistic at all. Where they are, and the fact that they are alone accounts for all the risk.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:23 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:17:
But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't know about you, but I don't make decisions based on the "worst that could happen." I make decisions based on "what's most within the realm of possibility." The worst that could happen is I die or am permanently injured. The problem is that's the "worst that could happen" for literally everything I do.

If you cannot show that a decision significantly increases your chances of a negative consequence, you cannot call it bad judgement. A cosplayer, particularly one who doesn't go hang out in an alley by herself or run off with some strange guy, is safer at Comic Con than you are driving to work. There simply isn't any data to show that cosplayers are at a significantly higher risk of assault than the general populous.

Dressing slutty = Possibly distasteful depending on the context and your morality, but not poor judgement.

Running off by yourself during a major event = VERY poor judgement.

The fact that you chose to skirt that particular point with empty rhetoric doesn't do you any favors either.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 12:49 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:50:
Ehh, that's probably too harsh (not knowing all of the particulars). Still, someone exhibited bad judgement here, and I have a hard time blaming a kid for it (because that's the definition of kid). Too bad other folks weren't looking out for her, too.

I wasn't aware that a 17 year old wearing a skimpy cosplay outfit to a major con was bad judgement. Hindsight is 20/20, but generally speaking it's a pretty safe activity to partake in, compared to other activities 17 year olds get up to. It's not like cosplayers are found bloody and unconscious in the streets in any significant numbers.

Some cat calls, creepshots, and staring? To be expected. Beaten and blooded in the street? Not a likely foreseeable outcome.

From what we've heard so far, her only mistake was running off by herself and not sticking with friends. That's a bad thing to do at a major event regardless of what you're wearing or what's between your legs. I got robbed outside a Seahawks away game one time and I'm a fairly intimidating male. If I had been with 4 or 5 other people, I doubt a lone guy would have stepped to me with a knife.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 08:20 NKD

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:04:
Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

According to your own link, current case law in the US does NOT support first sale doctrine for software licenses per Verner v Autodesk, and EULA clauses that grant you a limited license are valid.

It's a different story in Europe, but that's had basically zero practical implications as yet. Having a legal right to transfer ownership doesn't mean that a third party has a legal obligation to actively facilitate a transfer of ownership.

And that's all putting aside the fact that First Sale Doctrine has absolutely nothing to do with games-as-service. If you buy software reliant on a service to be operational, then it doesn't matter whether you own it, or are merely licensing it: Once the service is dead, it's a useless pile of bits.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 00:10 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 21:30:
I've been saying this for a while now. So much of videogaming history will be lost to the ages because of dying hardware and more recently online server requirements. There are ways around a lot of these things but in 25 years will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 2? Maybe, but the real question is will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 3? Whether or not someone 25 years from now would want to play such ancient games (by future standards) isn't the point - this is our gaming HISTORY. Nobody values the Liberty Bell based on well it rings, nor do they judge the value of the USS Missouri based on how it could perform in a modern-day sea battle.

I don't think games are that different from anything else in that regard. A lot of things from history are lost. In fact, most of them. All we have are second hand accounts, photos, in some cases videos. It doesn't make them less relevant or make history disappear. Sure, there are plenty of individual events that have been straight up forgotten with no record. But the big picture of how things have unfolded over time hasn't been lost. History still exists.

As you said, there aren't a lot of people interested in playing 25 year old games, but screenshots and videos are being made. Screenshots and videos that people are more than capable of archiving.

I'd say there'll be more evidence and historical information on games than there has been on a lot of other things. So I'm not worried about the historical aspect at all.

From the perspective of someone who has actually played games that are gone and unplayable in their "true" form (MMOs in particular) I feel that my memories of playing those games are more important to me than the ability to go back and play them.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
13. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 29, 2014, 04:35 NKD

Guy probably spent a lot of hours on his game, and when it didn't sell, he felt he had wasted a lot of time and effort and let his emotions go unchecked. Some quotes from the article:

So overall we got $1600 form IR bundle, $1500 will come from steam and thatís all we have earned. There is $400 in the impulse account but I donít think we will get that because the payment cut out is $500 and there is no possibility of making another 100 over there. So thatís it we made 3 grand.

You might regret your decision of not giving the keys, the bundle owners will get angryÖ?
I think we already have a reason to regret. And trust me with just 300 copies sold and sale is complete dry we are already rotting into the hell.

So it sounds like the guy just has lost all hope for the project and just doesn't give a shit anymore. He also basically said that he's not going to be able to start another project given that he lost money on this one, so what does his reputation matter?

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
12. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 17:42 NKD

Modders are such drama queens.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 16:12 NKD

Gotta get ten more copies of Skyrim for some inexplicable reason.  

News Comments > BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal
11. Re: BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal Jul 25, 2014, 13:30 NKD

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 12:50:
NKD wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 11:25:
Eh you guys need to take your fucking pills. This is interesting and different than what we've seen from Bioware in the past, and it's a new IP. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

The IP may be interesting, but the trailer is fucking terrible. As are most of EA's trailers, especially the ones they make for Bioware.

And seeing as how it will need to fit in the Bioware mold of you being the chosen hero who can do something that no one else can, and while doing that you gather up a team of plucky and witty souls to help you visit the four locations you'll need to Set Shit Straight(tm), we'll have to wait and see on how different it really is.

Ehh Bioware usually prefers some 20 billion dollar cinematic that takes up half the game budget. I guess what I'm saying is that the kind of half-assed live action teaser thing is new for Bioware.

And as you said, Bioware is formulaic as hell, so I'll take any sign of them changing things up a bit, even if its a bit superficial.

3172 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo