Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3572 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Aero's Quest HTML5 Nov 3, 2014, 20:55 NKD

Didn't really think GTA5 music was all that memorable.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music
2. Re: Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music Nov 3, 2014, 20:52 NKD

Composer who did Drive? Niiice.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 19:42 NKD

Brianna Wu offers cash reward for the arrest of harassers.

Anita Sarkeesian ignores and blocks freely offered identity and proof of harasser.

Really a stark contrast. I guess we see which of these people wants to see the harassment stop, and which do not. That said, I don't think any amount of cash reward will actually result in people no longer being mean on the Internet.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 14:46 NKD

Prez wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 14:03:
I know they claim that this has always been their policy but that's BS. This is something new. Could it be that GG actually accomplished something?

Several sites have now either publicized or modified their ethics policies in the wake of Gamergate, including sites like the Escapist, Polygon, and IGN. We'll see if they stick to it, but some progress is better than none.

An ethics policy that isn't publicly shown is an ethics policy that might as well not exist.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 12:36 NKD

Tim Collins wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:20:
Confirmed, single player is a giant pile of crap...couldnt stand more then 30 minutes before i quit....Why do all the cods look like they are games from 1995....its such a scripted game its as if they don't care anymore.

When was Call of Duty ever the hallmark of unscripted gameplay?

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 12:26 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:03:

Wow... I'm... stunned, actually. Someone listened and realized that having everything paid for means your opinion is also bought and paid for and thus essentially worthless. I applaud this move. Kudos, Polygon.

Yeah it's nice to see actual fucking disclosure starting to happen in the wake of Gamergate.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
27. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 13:59 NKD

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 13:18:
Can't put my finger on it but something is wrong, movement? or view? or bob? ... somethings definitely off.

Animations and stuff are clearly very early and unpolished. Very clunky.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Handsome Jack DLC Next Week
3. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Handsome Jack DLC Next Week Nov 2, 2014, 10:41 NKD

Got other plans for the 11th. Likely taking a trip to Paris. But I'll probably check it out eventually.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
2. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 10:32 NKD

I have a hard time getting excited about the FPS stuff. I guess I just don't know how it's really going to fit into the game, and worry it will just end up being a shitty mini-game.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2014, 10:27 NKD

IGN will be the 5th(?) major site to modify or publicly disclose their ethics policies in the wake of Gamergate. Gawker is probably a lost cause, given that they are basically just a tabloid journalism site equivalent to grocery store rags that talk about alien babies.

But it remains to be seen if these policy changes have any real effect. We shall see!

Carbine Studios Employees Give Negative Reviews to Developer of Wildstar MMO…

I've always had a particular distaste for these articles about Glassdoor posts. Are bitter ex-employees really a good source of subjective information? While I'm inclined to believe them in this case, seeing as how the proof is in the pudding, that's not always true.

Glassdoor is great for things like salaries, but beyond that I have a hard time putting a lot of objective weight behind the words of people who are disappointed and angry.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2014, 14:23 NKD

Julio wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 14:16:
Now we're starting to see why Wu is doing all this anti-GG stuff - looking for cash. Before I thought she was a misguided misandrist on a crusade, now I know its all for the dollars.

Brianna Wu is already a rich trust fund baby, she doesn't need more money. In fact, oddly enough, a few of the prominent Anti-GG voices including Alex Lifschitz are rich trust fund babies.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 1, 2014, 11:55 NKD

Legal defense fund idea won't go anywhere unfortunately. I suspect she hasn't really had a lengthy sit down with a good lawyer yet.

Despite nearly every state in the US having online harassment laws, online harassment is still extremely common. That is mostly due to the anonymity involved encouraging people to say things they otherwise would not say. That same anonymity makes it extremely difficult to find people who are doing it. There are also limits to what kind of harassment is actionable. These laws vary from state to state. Generally in the US you can say some truly awful things to or about a person online without breaking any laws or crossing into libel/slander. Plus a lot of online harassment comes from other countries whose law enforcement will not be particularly interested in spending the time and effort to track down some people for saying mean shit on the Internet.

It goes back to what anyone who have been on the net for more than 5 minutes should know: Don't feed the trolls.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Nov 1, 2014, 11:23 NKD

Let's be honest, if one of the cornerstones of your genre is big ridiculous anime hair, you better be on the forefront of hair technology.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 31, 2014, 23:51 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 20:41:
One particular lawyer actually warned about this right when the iPhones started coming out with the fingerprint stuff. He said that legally, they can't force you to unlock a phone protected with a password, but if you turn it into a biometric thing, which is a part of you rather than something you know, they would likely be able to legally force you to unlock the phone.

Lo and behold, he was right, as the judge interpreted the law the exact same way.

Yeah. No big legal surprises here. This is textbook interpretation of the Fifth Amendment.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 22:44 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 22:29:

Something I found funny, the anti-gg's are now refusing to go on david pakman's show when they realized he isn't pulling any softball questions with anyone. Facts are delicious.

Was JUST reading this. It's hilarious to see them finally show their true colors. They aren't interested in talking to anyone who isn't going to just let them have a platform to spew their hate and filth. Anti-GG only has false, emotionally-charged rhetoric. That isn't a stance that holds up to any level of scrutiny.

This is great because it means we can move on to the journalism issues. Anti-GG is effectively withdrawing from the battle, which lets us get back to business. All the people who said "You need a new hashtag blah blah blah" were so fucking wrong. GG simply had to wait for the Anti-GG folks to take their ball and go home.

41. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 13:24 NKD

Flatline wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 13:03:
NKD wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 12:11:
There is zero evidence of a trend of misogyny or women being singled out when it comes to these types of shootings. These people trying to make it about misogyny is supremely disrespectful and does not help solve the problem.

Dude, the guy who did the UCSB shooting (Which happened like 5 miles from where I worked) wrote hate stories about destroying women and recorded a confession where he said "I'm doing this because women as a whole refuse to have sex with me."

He was so extreme that even the extreme red pill PUA guys were like "dude you need to chill".

Yeah I mentioned that guy in my post. As I said, it's not a trend. It's actually an outlier as far as motivations for mass murder go. Misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic or other sexual or gender driven killers tend heavily towards the serial or spree killer category. You don't instantly become a misogynist because you felt rejected when a girl dumps you or rejects you. That's something that needs to be really driven into the person over a period of time. Mass murderers simply do not tend to target particular genders. That's the realm of spree and serial killers.

For the sake of clarity so people don't have to look up definitions: Mass murder being something like a school shooting, a spree killer being something like Chris Dorner who does their killing all over the place in a short period of time, and a serial killer being the Green River Killer, Ted Bundy, etc. who do the kiling over a long period of time.

39. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 12:11 NKD

Flatline wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 11:32:
As for the Seattle shooting, I don't know if we know enough about that yet to make a call on it. Jilted wannabe lover turned shooter isn't necessarily misogyny. If he left some manifesto or rant behind we'll learn sooner or later.

Rejection causes a lot of powerful negative emotions, particularly in teens. But it's not limited to rejection by the opposite sex, or even romantic rejection. Many shootings have happened because of bullying and general feelings of rejection not specifically related to romantic interests.

Teen boys are more likely to take it out on other people. Teen girls are more likely to take it out on themselves. This is why you don't really see teen girls doing school shootings. Teen boys are much more likely to engage in violence at school. Teen girls are twice as likely to attempt suicide, while boys are four times as likely to actually succeed because more aggression means more severe and more successful methods of doing so.

Teen males simply tend to be more outwardly aggressive. So when they snap, it's other people who feel the pain. Teen girls tend cut themselves and do other things. It has nothing to do with misogyny or boys thinking girls owe them something, or any of that shit, unless there is evidence of someone actually believing that like in that case of that one creepo who made the YouTube videos.

Fear of rejection is universal. It crosses all genders and sexual preference, and isn't limited to romantic rejection. There have been a lot of school shootings and the common thread going throughout nearly ALL of them is that both men and women were targeted.

There is zero evidence of a trend of misogyny or women being singled out when it comes to these types of shootings. These people trying to make it about misogyny is supremely disrespectful and does not help solve the problem.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 31, 2014, 09:57 NKD

Hahahahah. Priceless. Not only is Gamergate simply a bunch of goons issuing rape and death threats, but violent video games made them do it.  

32. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 09:43 NKD

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 09:15:
What I've enjoyed the most about the GG debacle is that the attempts to shut GG people up by namecalling and smearing them didn't work. We may have reached a cultural point where, at least for a sizable number of people, the prospect of being called a bad name or being tarred with this or that brush - or the threat of as much - simply doesn't matter. They'll say what they please, and a good number of people will go around the mainstream media rather than through it to get informed on a topic.

The Anti-GG camp never had any kind of valid point or argument, or even any real stance other than "harassment is bad, don't do it" which no one was disagreeing with. So instead they relied on a lot of loud voices, bully pulpits, and attempts to shout down people they didn't like using their advantageous position with certain games media. But you can't sustain that.

Instead of pressuring Gamergate supporters out of the conversation, they just made them more steadfast in their resolve. The Escapist, Polygon, and a few other sites have made adjustments to their ethics policies. I read an article on Gamespot the other day that actually had a disclosure about the writers former connections to the developers. IGN has been forthcoming to people inquiring about their ethics policies as well. Even Stephen Tortilla from Kotaku had a 2 hr long interview/discussion with TotalBiscuit about the ethics issue a couple days ago.

The Anti-GG crowd is mostly a bunch of daytrippers. They have no real skin in the game because, by and large, they aren't even gamers. So they'll tire of picking on the nerds and move on to whatever is next. But gamers aren't going anywhere. They aren't going to abandon their hobby.

30. Re: etc., etc. Oct 31, 2014, 09:06 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 06:52:
No matter how right you are, it doesn't matter. Squirmer is right. You lost. Anita played the game better than you did. She "won" even if her fairly radical agenda is too extreme for most people. She became the spokesperson fighting against sexism in gaming, an industry with revenues in the 10s of billions. The mainstream media picked it up, and her along with it. This week: NYTimes, Colbert. Next week: Charlie Rose? CNN? And who do you have? Angry Joe? Yahtzee? No matter how you look at it, it's a total disaster.

Anita Sarkeesian isn't the enemy. Or, at least she's not my enemy. The enemy are unrepentant, biased, and bullshit press outlets. Gamergate gives her a boost, but she's never come out in defense of gaming journalism. Why would she? She's not even a gamer. She doesn't know anything about those sites or the issues involved there.

The conversation is just now starting to get back to where it was supposed to be, ethics in game journalism. The gaming press is running out of "victims" to distract everyone with. The moderates in Gamergate have been contacting advertisers, arranging interviews with the more reasonable people in the gaming press on the subject of ethics in journalism, etc. Basically they've just been waiting for the distraction engine to run out of fuel, which is happening. Anita Sarkeesian has already moved on to mainstream press which don't even cover games, so she's effectively a non-issue. Her increased profile is actually really good for gamers because she can move on to something more interesting to her than games.

What braindead trolls like Squirmer and Beamer never seemed to understand is that there wasn't just one conflict here and two sides. You had Anita/Feminists vs. Trolls on the Internet, and Gamergate vs. gaming press and associated shills. That first conflict is dying down, but the Gamergate hashtag overall has shown no signs of slowing down, and we're just starting to see an increase in coverage regarding the ethics issue.

In short, the idiots co-opting the argument for their own platforms and agendas are moving on, and Gamergate is actually starting to be about Gamergate again and not endless stupid distractions. Our own local Blue's News idiots will continue to try and push the feminism angle for a while until they get bored. But in the places where it matters, things are finally starting to look up. I'm really glad the conversation is slowly getting back on track.

At the end of the day, Anita Sarkeesian wins, Gamergate wins, gaming press loses.

3572 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo