Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3108 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer
20. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in Spring; New Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 19:23 NKD

I can't get excited by themepark PvE-centric MMOs anymore. I can't think of anything that model could deliver that would get me excited, or any IP that would make it more interesting.

The tech exists to make really amazing sandbox MMO with a focus on the players. And it wouldn't have to be as hardcore as EVE Online, or take place in the void of space.

I don't really like to feel like the other players might as well not even be there.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
163. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 18:41 NKD

avianflu wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 18:30:
SONY's earlier E3 presentation was certainly suggesting more than "just like PS3" no?

I dont blame SONY for seizing the PR moment, but they hedged after the fact.

The exact quote was that the PS4 would "not impose any new restrictions" with regards to used games. Post-conference interviews they clarified they wouldn't be implementing any additional anti-used-game features into the platform. But they never made any claim of banning DRM schemes from their platform.

Anyone who thought Sony was somehow going to ban publishers from using any kind of DRM didn't think things through all the way.

What's DRM, and what's just an online game? Do people think Sony should force developers to have single-player modes and offline play for all titles? That may not make sense for every game. You think you're going to be able to play the console MMOs offline?

I'm not going to get mad at Sony for not doing the impossible.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

148. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 17:28 NKD

FU wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:21:
A nice summation just hit my youtube inbox. IT cant get any clearer than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ByxPD1GFyk

Francis! This video is excellent.

nin wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:24:

Closed in 2 seconds as soon as I saw who it was...can't stand that guy.

This is one of his legit videos, not as the Francis character.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2013, 17:20 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 17:05:
This whole fiasco reminds me of the experiment with the frog where it would stay put in a slowly boiling cooking pot until it dies.

Yep, take away our privacy inch by inch and most won't complain. I wish there was something that could be done, but we're watching a trainwreck in slow motion. There's no stopping it, because it's already off the tracks. The only hope is that when all is said and done and things hit rock bottom, we'll get a chance to do things better next time.

143. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 17:02 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:40:
Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:05:
I haven't seen Sony contradict itself so far,

Sonys explanation could not be clearer

If a publisher wants to pull a SimCity then customers can choose to ignore that game rather than have DRM implemented for every single game they buy.

It think details on exactly how a publisher can DRM the game hasn't been really shared. It sounds like they can definately put limits into the games if they like.

Didn't MS sort of say the same thing? That it is up to the publishers?

MS implemented features at the behest of the publishers to allow for more restrictive DRM. Restrictions that wouldn't work without hardware and OS level support.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 11, 2013, 16:56 NKD

Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 16:18:
At least he's actually working on something while the funding keeps pouring in.

Ever since supporting Lord British's new game, the only updates I'm getting are for "Hey, we've come up with new ways that you can up your pledge!"

No news on what they're actually WORKING ON for over two months. I'm beginning to suspect a fucking scam.

Creston

I think Lord British is locked up somewhere and Blackthorn is pulling an Ultima V on his Kickstarter.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding
22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $10MM in Funding Jun 11, 2013, 15:27 NKD

WyldKat wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:50:
Wildone wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 10:04:
I think its a big FUCK YOU to the games industry for deserting a genre so many people loved. Its worth my $45 just to say that.

Exactly.

"There's no money in space sims..."

*snerk*

Well, to be fair, the only reason he is getting so much support is because the genre has been so dead for so long that enough interest has pooled up. If we were awash in space sims, he wouldn't be getting nearly as much.

His success is more evidence of space sims being dead than it is evidence against it. Let's face it, we space sim fans don't have a lot of choices here...

93. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 15:06 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 15:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:38:
You say this about every fucking thing and about three quarters of the time you're wrong. You're the most negative guy on the Internet.

No, I'm not, I'm the most realistic and most often correct guy on it. My batting average is .999 and yours and your ilk is .001. You're just pissed because I am right virtually all the time. So no, it doesn't make me wrong, it makes you a whiny, petulant child. Everytime you've quoted me saying I'm wrong, every single fucking time, every one! I've been right and you've been wrong. Don't you EVER tire of being WRONG all the time? ALL OF IT! You and other children like Agent X7 obviously can't handle it, or reality, or the truth about anything for that matter so put me on ignore because that's where you two are now joining the rank of the rest of the clowns around here.

Wow. You really do need mental help and medication.

90. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 15:01 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:53:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:04:
Jesus, Cutter. I think you need meds. You are the single most negative person I have ever read online, and that's saying something.

Because I'm a realist and pragmatist? Because just about everytime a corporation gets an inch they take a yard? That they value profits over people and will say and do just about anything to walk all over people to get them? Whatever, scooter, you keep walking with the blind but my eyes are wide open. I bet you were shocked, just shocked that your government isn't the nice entity you thought it to be or that a lot of people around the world hate your country because of its policies and actions. Yes, sir, must be nice to live in your little Pollyanna fantasy world.

Oh please, as an actual realist and an actual pragmatist, I can confirm that just painting worst case scenario on EVERY POSSIBLE SUBJECT is not pragmatism. That's just being a god damn Negative Nancy.

If you were a real pragmatist, you'd say something like "Well, it's still possible for publishers to bone people with DRM, but Sony isn't going out of their way to accomodate them in that regard. So I'd rather support them."

87. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 14:55 NKD

2nd_floor wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:47:
Awesome for AMD with both Xbone and PS4 using its technology, but doesn't Intel have much better tech generally than AMD? I guess at far higher price though. Or if they went with Intel, they have to find a GPU seperately, and AMD has better technology for CPU and GPU in one chip than Intel does?

Also, isnt the 8GBs RAM going to hurt performance on both Xbone and PS4? On pc we have system RAM and graphics ram., maybe 8GBs and 6GBs respectively, and ram can make a huge difference!

8GB should be plenty. Even on a high end PC gaming you aren't using 8GB between system and VRAM unless you're doing multi-display, which has a lot of frame buffer overhead just from the amount of pixels. Console games will be running at 1080p or less.

Most PC game executables won't even use more than 2GB system RAM due to 32bit limitations and then a little bit more for large memory addressing if they use that flag. Then for VRAM you get by well under 2GB in 1080p without anti-aliasing.

So 8GB is actually pretty roomy, and about as much as they could have without really making the console VERY expensive.

83. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 14:38 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:14:
Wait, I'm not following this closely, but is Cutter kind of right? I mean, publishers can still enforce DRM on the PS4 to limit used games, according to what I'm reading.

So... this could backfire on them, but they have a LOT of room for backfires, given that the IGN poll has them leading for "winning" by a 70 point margin.

In the long run, I don't think anyone will use these DRM features, or that many will. At least in the first 3 years of the lifespan. It will be a creeping feature, to the point that I'm surprised it wasn't rolled out later rather than being trumpeted now.

They explicitly said there are "no new restrictions" on used games. There isn't any kind of special DRM available to publishers that they couldn't already implement on 360 or PS3.

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 14:22:

1) They said the same thing as MS as it applies to their games you can trade them without fees, let friends play them, etc. They did NOT say bupkiss about what publishers may or may not do.

How the fuck are they supposed to speak for publishers? That'd be entirely inappropriate for one, and meaningless for two since they aren't in the business of dictating game design to publishers. If some publisher wants to make their game online-only, they can do so. Just like they could on 360 or PS3.

2) Note they did not state that for multiplayer games you now have to pay for it same as MS Gold. How do you think that would have went over at their press conference.

Everyone likes free better than pay, obviously. But PSN+ is very good value for money so it's hard to complain too much.

3) They say you don't need to login once every 24 hours? What about beyond that? They also said nothing about advertising, data mining, etc.

Now you're just being pedantic.

So in fact there's a whole bunch of shit they haven't said that they can still do to give it to the consumer sans lube. So yes, until you see EVERYTHING in black and white, the final costs, etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't be patting Sony on the back just yet. And the fact that they've snuck a few things in and are still so evasive flashes a big red WARNING!!! sign IMO. Just wait until the other shoe drops. There will be more shit coming down the pipe with this, bank on it.

You say this about every fucking thing and about three quarters of the time you're wrong. You're the most negative guy on the Internet.

Edit: Take off the MS hate glasses a second and pay ATTENTION to what they are and are NOT saying specifically. Jesus, read between the lines.

"Read between the lines" is too often analogous with "read into what isn't there."

57. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 13:22 NKD

Verno wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 13:10:
The guys from Gamespot and Giantbomb said people were going apeshit in the audience and that it felt pretty authentic. I was following it at SA and the thread reply count increased by like 3000 in a minute.

Also it was really nice to see so many hands on stage demos instead of precanned stuff. It didn't always work out well (AC4 crashed part way through for example) but it was a bit reassuring.

Getting 64 people on stage to play BF4 was unexpected.

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 12:25 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 12:21:
A good Final Fantasy game would almost be enough to prompt me to purchase my first console since SNES.... I'll be watching.

I dunno. FFXV isn't really showing us much, but from the latest trailer it doesn't look like it qualifies as much of an RPG. Looked more like an action game with real time movement and combat.

News Comments > Titanfall Announced
70. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 11, 2013, 08:29 NKD

ASeven wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 07:18:
And it seems that the PS4 will have mandatory fees in the form of acessing MP. This will balance the cheap price of the console though no doubt it will drive more people into the PC. If you want to play MP on the PS4 you now have to pay Sony every month.

Still, I have no doubts the PS4 will break the sales records of the PS2.

A master stroke really. Existing Playstation fans are so psyched about having the better console, that migrating to PSN Plus isn't going to be a big deal. A lot of PSN users already have Plus for various reasons. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 players are already used to paying monthly, and won't have to get used to a change on that front.

Sony just outclassed Microsoft in every way this time round. PS4 is better hardware, better software, better business model, and they presented it in a much more palatable way. And MS can't pull enough marketable exclusives out of their ass to dig their way out of this one. They'll definitely be playing second fiddle this generation.

News Comments > Watch Dogs E3 Trailer
19. Re: Watch Dogs E3 Trailer Jun 11, 2013, 07:20 NKD

netnerd85 wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 05:29:
Why is this game looking less and less impressive as time goes on?

Because they aren't showing us anything new. We've seen the basics of the gameplay, but we don't know the big picture stuff. Why are we doing this shit? What's the game's open world structure like? This stuff would be nice to know...

68. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 11, 2013, 06:45 NKD

Ventura wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 05:46:
Could someone help me. I keep trying to view the Titanfall announce trailer, but for some reason, I keep getting misdirected to what looks like gameplay footage from Battlefield 2142.

I was having the same problem...haven't found a solution yet

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jun 11, 2013, 00:47 NKD

Chili P bitch!  

News Comments > The Crew Announced
3. Re: The Crew Announced Jun 11, 2013, 00:45 NKD

The big open world aspect is appealing to me. I love open world lobby-less racing games, and this seems like the biggest one yet. The kicker for me will be car customization though. It needs to be fucking good.  

63. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 11, 2013, 00:14 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 17:29:
NKD wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 17:27:
The rumors are that Sony is trying to keep it to $400 or less. We'll see though.
I doubt it will be that low.

42. Re: Titanfall Announced Jun 10, 2013, 17:27 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 16:46:
ASeven wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 16:41:
$500 for the Xbone. MS is really doing its best to kill itself.

Any guess on the PS4?
I'd say +/- 10%. It only matters is they come down 20%, though. Anything less than $100 off is a non-factor I think.

The rumors are that Sony is trying to keep it to $400 or less. We'll see though.

3108 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo