Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2859 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
13. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 20:18 NKD

Sempai wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 19:15:
You state you're listening? I call bull.

Did you listen to the outcry concerning the auction house? No.

Did you listen to the outcry of forcing us into logging on Battle.net in order to play our game? No.

You are full of shit Rob Pardo.

Saying they are listening doesn't explicitly claim they will be doing anything about it.

I'm sure they listen to our complaints, they just think we're crazy because they can't see the validity of anyone elses viewpoint.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed
3. Re: Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed Jan 19, 2013, 17:47 NKD

I'll be really surprised if GTA V comes out within a year of the console versions.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
5. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 17:43 NKD

Paketep wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 17:23:
Fuck those losers (Wilson and Pardo).

Glad to see that even the blizzard fanboys are seeing the truth.

It doesn't matter what they see if they keep handing over the money. Gamers have NEVER had a problem complaining, they have a problem making a stand on those complaints. Talking a lot of shit to people anonymously on the web is easy. Putting down the crack pipe instead of just bitching about the low quality of the crack is a lot harder.

But this is Blizzard, so even then. They only ship a title every so often, and they have enough cash flow to survive multiple flops. By the time the next title is ready, the rage will have subsided and people will just buy the shit because its Blizzard.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
17. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 01:50 NKD

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 01:10:
I've no answer to that, but I will say that I'm not a fan of supporting businesses that have to resort to massive layoffs. I prefer management that takes a more conservative approaches to finances, and avoids screwing the employees.

But we have to keep in mind this is a game company, they shouldn't be judged identically to other businesses in terms of management. Game companies are to other companies what paycheck-to-paycheck just-keeping-food-on-the-table families are to more financially secure families.

Just the very nature of how they have to operate means they almost never build up huge amounts of cash-on-hand to carry them through tough times. They keep moving or they die. It's just very fast-paced and unpredictable, and unfortunately that means fast-paced and unpredictable layoffs.

This is why cash-grab MMOs and things like Steam exist. Or even hardware/first party publishing machines like Nintendo. Many game companies have realized that just making games will never give you a stable and successful company. You have to tap into some kind of alternate revenue stream if you want to be around for the long haul, because eventually you are going to fall and you need a parachute that isn't made out of empty hopes and dreams, but rather cash-on-hand.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
4. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 18, 2013, 21:56 NKD

Prez wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 21:50:
It's getting ugly for a lot of gaming companies lately. Not good.

I don't really see this as a new thing. Game companies, unless mega-successful in the long term with a huge bankroll behind them, are always just one flop away from the shitcan.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2013, 03:23 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 22:06:
OR is going to be like 64 bit gaming, nothing will materialize for it.

And MS' worst mistake? Steve Ballmer, period.

It's not really comparable. On one hand you're talking about presentation, gameplay, and visual experience. On the other the nebulous promise of increased performance. Oculus Rift offers a certain gaming experience that is immediately apparent when you put it on and try it. Whether people will like it, or whether it's worth a shit is debatable. But it exists, and is something people can evaluate and take advantage of if they so desire.

"64 bit gaming" on the other hand had nothing materialize for it because the phrase "64 bit gaming" is itself a nice nugget of ignorance created by dimwitted gamers and the gaming press when AMD and Intel started releasing the relevant hardware. The only bit of relevance it ever had to gaming was the ability to address more memory, and taking advantage of that in any meaningful way is difficult without running into other performance barriers.

OR may end up being a flop, hell, it probably will. But it's not a very good comparison. One is an idea being sold to gamers, the other is gamers trying to sell themselves on an idea that was never really meant for them.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
43. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 19:05 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 18:43:
bhcompy wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 16:58:
Do you have any doubt that they will sunset the SC5 servers when the user threshold drops too low to effectively monetize the base through downloadable content?

None, it will shut down. To date I have personally not been effected one time by server shutdown, so I don't get worked up over something that hasn't hit me. But you might, so you have to do what you have to do. In a perfect world, they would run forever.

That's sort of how I feel. I don't like the concept of a game just becoming unplayable indefinitely, but in practice, aside from some MMOs they've never shut down a game I've been playing, nor have I fired up a game only to find the servers are no longer there.

I'm sure I own plenty of games with now-crippled functionality, but EA has chosen which ones to shut down pretty smartly because they haven't affected me yet.

20. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Dec 31, 2012, 15:33 NKD

Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 15:20:
"Such decisions are never easy!"

"What shall we shut down this year? Let's do this one, this one, that one, and that one. Done. Lunch, guys?"

Creston

Yeah that gives me a laugh too. I imagine these decisions are pretty much automatic. They get some printed report that shows concurrent player averages and the ones highlighted in red get shitcanned.

17. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Dec 31, 2012, 14:55 NKD

Smellfinger wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 14:47:
Planned obsolescence is just a step on the path to games-as-a-service. It's one of the many early symptoms of a terminal disease.

Is it really planned though? I mean unless EA is carefully crafting their titles to get boring fast so people will have to buy new games, hmm...

Like I said, there's never any outcry from players when these things get shut down. Just people getting offended at the general principle. So what's more likely?

1) They don't care that their precious game got shut down, so they didn't speak up.
2) EA systematically had all those players disappeared into unmarked vans.
3) Those players quit playing months or years ago and give no fucks.

Ima go with 3.

15. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Dec 31, 2012, 14:46 NKD

NetHead wrote on Dec 31, 2012, 12:06:
EA has been doing this for ages, deliberately timing server shutdowns for games with the release of sequels and the like trying to force people to buy the new game for multiplayer.

Among EA's many actual sins, this is patently false. Even for the annual sports titles, the sequel is well-past the point where EA cares about new sales LONG before the previous version gets shut down. There is no profit in EA shutting down Madden NFL 1492 Columbus Edition if people are just going to buy a $10 used copy of Madden 13 to replace it from LameStop.

They are just now shutting down Madden 11, and Madden 13 has been out for 4 months and is available in mass quantities in the used market for a $15 discount. If your theory were true, they'd have shut down Madden 11 several months ago, and they'd be shutting down Madden 12 now, instead of a year from now.

Let's face the facts: Almost nobody plays this shit they shutdown. In every thread, its people bitching about games being shut down that they aren't playing. I almost never see anyone go "Aww shit, I was still playing." Nope, it's "I might have wanted to play this in 10 years, damn you EA!"

Lets face it, EA shovelware doesn't merit replaying 10 years down the line anyway.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
42. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 17:12 NKD

When a game requires you to be online, where do you draw the line between DRM and not-DRM? It used to be pretty simple, if it was a pointless phone-home, it was obviously DRM. But what about when it's an online service core to the gameplay?

Even if you don't like it, or don't want to participate in it, I think if a developer has spent time and effort developing the online component as a FEATURE and not as thinly-veiled DRM, it becomes ignorant and insulting to refer to it as DRM.

We'll see when the game is released which side of the spectrum it is closer to, but simply being mandatory doesn't automatically make it more DRM than feature.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 14:32 NKD

deqer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:10:
Wait, what? You guys been working on an expansion this whole time while your game is dying? Why?

The same reason you post on these boards even though you are dying of untreated Syphilis.

News Comments > Frontier Layoffs
11. Re: Frontier Layoffs Dec 17, 2012, 16:35 NKD

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 15:55:
they got too greedy with this kickstarter, it should have made funding right now for a sinlge player only, graphical updated Elite. If it sold well then start your lofty MMO style Elite.

Taking an old game and updating the graphics isn't really a compelling project that gets developers blood pumping. In fact I think that's probably the biggest snoozefest I can think of as a developer. Can't really stretch your legs.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2012, 15:41 NKD

Kickstarter and similar platforms are really the ONLY solution for many situations, even in the case of already established companies looking to start a project that they can't get money for anywhere else.

Trying to be elitist about who can use it and who cant defeats the entire purpose. That's why Kickstarter's rules are very simple and are mostly legal ass-covering.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 in 2014-2015?
5. Re: Mass Effect 4 in 2014-2015? Dec 13, 2012, 02:32 NKD

Not even going to pretend I won't buy and play this. I want moooore Mass Effect.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched
18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 NKD

fiftykyu wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 10:11:
So, if a person loved Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (especially with that restored something or other mod) would it be possible to squint and pretend it's Kotor 3? Is there a game's worth of story in there?

If you're a fan of KOTOR 1 and 2 you owe it to yourself to play one Empire, and one Republic character. You get diminishing returns in terms of story beyond that point.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patched Dec 11, 2012, 23:25 NKD

You know after I got my 3 months out of this game and quit, I didn't really care that the game ended up being lame. But looking back, something bugs me about how the game ended up. Can you even do a compelling MMO experience where people can make fond memories anymore, or is that something those of us who got in at the beginning of the genre will experience?  

News Comments > Diablo III PvP Details Coming "Very Soon"
6. Re: Diablo III PvP Details Coming Nov 27, 2012, 23:34 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Nov 27, 2012, 22:12:
An announcement of an announcement on the worst rated AAA game in history, afaik. 3.8 User Score with about 4400 reviews.

Which speaks to the unreliability of "user score". Diablo 3 has its issues but it's far from the worst AAA game in history. It's just high profile, and high profile games are subject to review bombing by the shallow end of the gene pool.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter
27. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 19:32 NKD

Anyone who gives money to this Kickstarter should seriously consider giving a more competent member of their family power of attorney to handle their finances.

Molyneux is the poster-child for people who should not be using Kickstarter.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed III Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 NKD

My favorite iteration of the series yet.  

2859 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo