Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2859 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row 4 CE Survey
5. Re: Saints Row 4 CE Survey Mar 20, 2013, 23:54 NKD

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 20:54:
Seeing as this is really just a glorified expansion how about a low entry price point. I'm much more all over that than a CE.

What information do you have that suggests this won't be a full game with lots of content?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
49. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 19:56 NKD

KilrathiAce wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:25:
I hope he doesnt join some other publisher, dont need his stink ruin some good publisher now.

Seems doubtful. He could end up anywhere. CEOs usually work in a lot of industries since CEO is CEO regardless of what industry you're in. John was CEO of Wilson Sporting Goods and after that, Sara Lee pastries. So, CEOs get around.

But honestly I don't understand the pitchforks here. This isn't actually a good thing for us, unless we happen to be EA shareholders.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that John Riccitiello wasn't the problem at EA. EA is the problem at EA. It's a systemic, company-wide problem. At least as far as the stuff we care about goes. John was canned because they weren't making enough money.

But here's the thing: pleasing you and me isn't going to make them anymore money. In fact, if EA did what I want them to do, I can guarantee they'd make a lot less money.

You think when they can a CEO for not making enough money, that the next guy is gonna do anything except pander to the masses to make as much money as possible? Nope. Prepare for even more DLC and over-monetization.

I just think there's a distinct lack of understanding about what a CEO does here. John Riccitiello wasn't sitting there personally pruning content out of games to package as DLC. Some guy 2 or 3 levels down from him has the final say on that shit, and John probably never knew the specifics.

Riccitiello fucked up, but not in a way we should be concerned about. No CEO is going to make a damned bit of difference at EA in terms of what all of us here care about. In fact, the better the CEO, the better they will be at fucking us over.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 20:04.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > On SimCity Offline Regional Play
18. Re: On SimCity Offline Regional Play Mar 17, 2013, 07:40 NKD

Deathbishop wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:43:
Anti-EA (DRM) people don't want to hear that because it weakens their argument that the game doesn't work because of DRM. But I think the reality says otherwise. The offline story is noise in my opinion, because at the end of the day if the game still has the same core issues (ai, pathing, etc), then it doesn't matter whether it's online or off, most wont play it anyway.

Yeah the online requirement is not really the big issue here. That was publicized well in advance and everyone had ample opportunity to cancel preorders or just avoid preordering in the first place.

But the problems with the game itself are pretty bad. Even if there were an offline mode, the game still wouldn't be worth buying.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 in August
47. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 22:23 NKD

In the next open-world installment of Saints Row, Deep Silver Volition continues the story of the Third Street Saints by elevating their status to the highest level – the leaders of the free world. In Saints Row IV, the head honcho of the Saints has been elected to the Presidency of the United States. But the Saints are just getting started. Now the larger-than-life insanity of the Saints series gets a new twist with a catastrophic alien invasion, and the aliens have transported the Saints to a bizarro-Steelport simulation. Wield gargantuan superpowers and fight to free humanity from alien granddaddy Zinyak’s mental grasp. Escape the simulation that’s trapped the Saints crew, or die trying.

Saints Row IV lets players delve into an arsenal of alien weaponry and technology that will turn each Saint into an ultimate entity of destruction. Utilize out-of-this-world superpowers to fight all the way to the top. With intensified action and enhanced customization, players can use their newfound superpowers and leap over buildings, outrun the fastest sports cars, or send enemies flying with telekinesis in the greatest, most insane installment of Saints Row yet.

Sounds pretty nuts.

News Comments > SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting "Hack" Posts
19. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 12:04 NKD

Kajetan wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:56:
THERE ARE NO RESSOURCE HUNGRY OPERATIONS IN SIM SHITTY!! Wise up already

Calm down Iraqi Information Minister. I can write a program right now in about 5 minutes that maxes out your CPU while accomplishing nothing. Just because their AI is simplistic and stupid doesn't mean it can't be needlessly resource intensive.

There are obviously huge performance issues SOMEWHERE or the city sizes would be bigger than 4 city blocks.

15. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 11:37 NKD

Kajetan wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:28:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 11:20:
All the talk of persistance for the individual sims? I don't give a fuck about the individual sims! Delete that whole concept to free up processor cycles for something more important.

There isnt much to gain. Saying it politely: "Move to next free target" does not take much ressources.

Even with very simplistic AI, if you get hundreds or thousands of instances running in parallel, adding a few operations here and there adds up. You could easily have the worlds stupidest AI and still eat a ton of cycles.

Given how little else they have going on in this game, I'm going to guess that a lot of their performance limitations have to do with the hundreds or thousands of cars and pedestrians that are clickable, have names, and run in circles eating up CPU cycles because they were born stupid.

12. Re: SimCity: Maxis Working on Traffic Jams; Deleting Mar 15, 2013, 11:20 NKD

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 10:50:
admitting that adding more detailed persistence is a performance trade-off.

So, the city sizes are already tiny as a performance trade-off, but even in those tiny cities you need to do stupid shit as have sims just move freely from house to house (even though the house is NAMED after particular Sims) also as a performance trade-off?

I'm going to state that your Glass Box engine is a royal piece of shit.

Creston

That's really the core of the problem. A lot of the seemingly easy-to-fix gameplay shortcomings we want them to remedy actually exist because of technical shortcomings under the hood, some of which may never be fixable without complete code rewrites.

So much of the important gameplay maths in SimCity can be done very abstractly. Why do we need all those silly power globs flowing all over? Just give each building a power need, and see if its plugged into the grid, and see if there is enough power to supply it.

Water is a little more complicated if you want to model ground pollution, but there's no reason you couldn't abstract to a degree. Again, no need for little blobs flowing around. Sewer, same deal.

It's a nifty effect if it actually worked right, but it's micro-simulation at the cost of macro-simulation, and that's bad in a city builder where things need to be BIG PICTURE.

All the talk of persistance for the individual sims? I don't give a fuck about the individual sims! Delete that whole concept to free up processor cycles for something more important.

18. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 10:55 NKD

InBlack wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 10:51:
Is Volition now part of Deep Silver or did they just buy the IP? Im going to hold off on any preorders and I advise everyone else to do the same.

They bought the whole studio. Same guys working on the game who were working on it at THQ, as far as I know.

13. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 10:41 NKD

Beamer wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 10:35:
But not giving people something they pay for?

That's why we shouldn't do something so stupid as to buy DLC that doesn't exist and hasn't been announced on the promise that you might get something for your money some day.

I buy DLC as it is released, and only if it's worthwhile for the price. Some "Season Pass" that may or may not pay off? As a great man once said, I call that getting swindled and pimped.

9. Re: Saints Row 4 in August Mar 15, 2013, 10:13 NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 09:49:
Would normally be an autobuy, but since it was purchased so recently and a game will be released before the 1 year mark of accusition - will be waiting a bit. I assume they might just try and cash in on current assets and rehash 3.

Watched the vid 2-3 times already. All assets look exactly the same. Looks more like a patch/addon and should be DLC.....bummer.

That's what everyone said about AC:Brotherhood and it ended up being better than AC2. I don't want them reinventing the wheel, I want them working on improving what is already an awesome game series, primarily in the gameplay department.

EDIT: Also please for the love of god give us more than 2 player co-op!

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2013, 10:19.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
143. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 08:33 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 06:38:
Really good Anno 2070 guide here for those of you not familiar with the game, like myself: http://youtu.be/yYFLhADYd3k

Hahaha, yeah. NanosuitNinja's videos are extremely informative, and funny too.

140. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 01:53 NKD

Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:23:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:07:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 23:36:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:20:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

EDIT: NKD stole my thunder!
And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

Looks like it has it all to me. What is missing?
As I said way back in post 95
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:56:
Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)
Also the complete DLC pack isn't, it doesn't include deep ocean.

So, to get everything add 3 things to cart.
1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

Seems to include Deep Ocean now bro.
Screeny from my Steam

EDIT: Oh nm I see what you're saying the complete pack doesn't have deluxe.

136. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:07 NKD

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 23:36:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:20:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

EDIT: NKD stole my thunder!
And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

Looks like it has it all to me. What is missing?

122. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 18:53 NKD

In other news, Anno 2070 is on sale on Steam. If you're going to play a building game with an online requirement, it might as well be a good one. (And more importantly, one that is on sale, and has been out for a while, so you don't encourage more online requirements.)  

News Comments > WoW Free Character Moves
1. Re: WoW Free Character Moves Mar 14, 2013, 10:43 NKD

It's hard to believe they haven't started server merges yet.  

News Comments > Minecraft Optional Subscription Mode Plans
4. Re: lol Mar 14, 2013, 10:40 NKD

zombiefan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:28:
Wow, Notch. I guess it's true: wealth and greed go hand-in-hand.

I don't think them offering server hosting is really greedy. It's hard to find a reliable server host for Minecraft at a reasonable price, and even harder to find an existing server that isn't filled with nightmarish douchebags. Especially for the younger players they seem to be trying to cater to here.

Minecraft has a lot of younger players who have to deal with a pretty abrasive community, or else play by themselves. Getting their own server with an easy-mode control panel and friend system would be really fantastic. Especially if it's only like $10 a month.

This isn't really targeted at people who run their own servers and are skilled enough to fix problems that arise. I have a Minecraft server with a custom mod pack of 70 mods and there's a new problem every day I have to hunt down.

Article suggests they will even be providing some safe mod options too.

News Comments > SimCity Status Report
2. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 13, 2013, 21:23 NKD

Does Maxis just hire people based on the improbability of their names?  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:18 NKD

The problem, jdreyer, is that EA and all these other companies are businesses. All they care is that you're buying their product. Only the developers who get their hands dirty actually care about the quality of the product. The decision makers only care if it sells. You have to actually make the product sell poorly by refusing to buy it before they'll even begin to look at forums and take them seriously. If sales are really good, they won't take your complaints seriously. Because you didn't prove you were serious by not buying the game.

But if we stop giving them our money, they have no choice but to do what we say to start getting it back.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 13:11 NKD

Beamer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:08:

Yeah, I'm hearing anecdotal evidence extremely to the contrary, but you're right, I shouldn't base anything on that.

Clearly there's a ton of FUD going around. If that's contrary to what you're experiencing then I'm way off.

I don't have any personal experience. I imagine most of us don't since we've hopefully dodged this mess, but what I've heard is that you get dropped after a preset period of time, but up until then everything works short of regional syncing.

Anyone here who has played who can confirm?

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 13:05 NKD

Beamer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:49:

But with both of these games DRM is still the primary reason. Need proof? Why is so much server-side. It isn't just a constant handshake, there is actual critical computation offloaded to the server.

That's pure, 100% DRM.

It's not as much as people think. You can play for quite a while after yanking your net connection and very little stops working.

2859 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo