Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3429 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
55. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 15:36 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 15:02:
Yes you did. You implied they were claiming to feel threatened by everybody who is concerned about how game journalists go about their business, which you very clearly are.

They wrote that line because they have been receiving threats, and because that is pertinent to the editorial and to the specific point that was being made. They didn't imply otherwise, you inferred the wrong thing and then implied that it applied to you when it didn't, i.e. you made the same mistake that is behind most of the recent GamerGate outcry.

They said they were scared. They said they perceived GamerGate was a danger to them and their families. They literally said that. They didn't imply it, nor did I infer anything. It's what they fucking said. I don't see how they could be more clear in what they are saying.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
4. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 15:25 NKD

Gotta give her credit where it's due, this is a masterfully played scam. She's done nothing of note in terms of feminism and helping disenfranchised women around the world, and her videos weren't starting any real dialogue. So what does she do? Make a big deal out of people being mean on the Internet, and be as loud as possible.

It's worked out pretty well. Even more mainstream sources are starting to lavish sympathy upon her for the terrible ordeal she's been through on Twitter. And the more press she gets, the more hate she gets, which gets her more press. Eventually she'll write a best selling book, and sell some movie rights.

Something to think about: If it was Boogie2988 from YouTube making a huge deal out of the threats he's received, leaving his home, how many press outlets would be interested in telling the story of an obese straight white male gamer being "forced out of his home?"

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2014, 15:30.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > etc.
50. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 13:24 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 08:19:

You made yourself into a victim by distorting what Polygon said.

I'm nobody's victim, and never claimed to be. Polygon's smear rag doesn't hurt me personally. It just makes them look silly.

Come on, you don't think it's tacky to say something along the lines of "Well I wasn't originally going to write this article critical of GamerGate, because I didn't want to put our staff's children in danger."?

It's very clear what they were implying and it's silly to pretend otherwise. They wouldn't have written that line if they didn't either A) Feel their lives were in danger or B) Wanted other people to think they felt that way.

News Comments > etc.
41. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 22:47 NKD

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 22:23:

It must be tiring, being a professional victim 24/7.

Hey, it's worked for her. If she hadn't publicized the threats and played up the victim status at every turn, she wouldn't be getting ANY mainstream attention. She admits even in this article that her videos are nothing special, and that the content is rather boring and non-controversial, and I agree. If she had ignored the haters like most people do, no one would know who she is. She is literally famous because people were mean to her on the Internet.

It's crazy to think about: She now effectively gets paid to receive meaningless threats over the Internet.

And since the people dishing out the threats are too dumb to realize they are giving her exactly what she wants, they will continue doing so. The threats are literally the only thing keeping them in the headlines.

News Comments > etc.
39. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 22:13 NKD

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 21:34:

Well, there's a couple of things wrong with that argument.

First, you don't speak for "the rest of us." What you're really saying is that they didn't act the way you would have acted in that situation. It's a bit unreasonable to expect everyone to act exactly the way you do.

Then why did you ask what I would have them do? You asked, chief. I was just answering.

But let's say for the sake of argument it IS reasonable. If the feminists receiving threats need to STFU about them then it logically follows that GG supporters getting threats need to STFU about it too. Otherwise the position is hypocritical--it's okay for my side to do it but not theirs.

Yes, everyone who thinks these Twitter threats are legitimate preludes to actual violence are ignoring objective reality and need to shut the fuck up and stop playing the victim, regardless of their opinions on other matters.

Like I said, it's a statistical fact that nothing is likely to come from these Twitter threats. That's not my opinion. It's not in any way subjective. It's an outcome that almost never happens. It's not reasonable to flee your home or post articles where you claim you're worried someone will kill your newborn child.

News Comments > etc.
32. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 20:22 NKD

Squirmer wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 18:39:
GGers accuse the other side of being professional victims, but then you go and say a thing like that.

GGers accuse the other side of being professional victims, and then I go and accuse them of playing the victim?

Sorry, but I don't see the disconnect here. I'm doing precisely what you just said. Pointing out that they are playing up an imaginary victim status. They are painting the other side as violent thugs who will kill people who disagree with them, and their children. That's not appropriate behavior for the editor of a gaming website. It's something you'd expect from inflammatory Twitter trolls.

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 20:13:

Serious question: what exactly do you expect the women receiving threats to do when they are threatened? In your opinion, what's the proper response?

The same thing the rest of us do when we are threatened by dickless 13 year olds behind the anonymity of the Internet. Ignore it, or if you want a slim chance of maybe them getting in trouble for it, forward it to the authorities and go about your life.

You know how many cases there are of someone on the Internet getting mad because they disagreed with someone, and then finding them and killing them? I don't even know. I can only think of a couple, ever. The two I'm thinking of were in Korea and China respectively, and in both cases the people were already personally acquainted. It just happened to be an Internet disagreement that set them off.

Sorry, but this fantasy people have of some angry nerd finding them and killing them for liking what they don't like is just not something that people need to be worried about. That's just a fact. There is no data to support that there are real risks of this happening. What few "internet creepo kills someone" stories there are, it's usually some psychopath luring someone to his house, or some stalker obsessing over someone for years. It's like living in fear of getting hit by a meteor.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 2014, 20:37.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 15:38 NKD

For many of our staff, myself included, GamerGate presented enough of a perceived danger that we were scared for ourselves and our families. (Notable fact I remind myself of often: There are 14 children among the Polygon staff, including two under the age of 1).

That's right guys. If you have concerns about how game journalists go about their business, you're literally a child murderer. Even newborns.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 18, 2014, 04:05 NKD

Valve makes all of its money off other companies now. They don't care what their own fans want, nor are they financially compelled to care, so no amount of "pressure" is going to result in anything.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 18, 2014, 02:01 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 22:16:
Cutter wrote on Oct 17, 2014, 21:38:
Get a fucking warrant. How difficult is that?

C'mon Cutter, you know that warrants get in the way of implementing the Police State.

I'm surprised that Florida, AKA Land of the Krazy, made this call. Still, until they elect Charlie Crist over Rick Scott, I'll view this as an aberration instead of the first step in the journey toward redemption.

http://reddit.com/r/floridaman

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fist of Jesus Oct 18, 2014, 02:00 NKD

Me and the ex liked to play a game called Fist of Jesus. I don't think it's related to this game though.  

News Comments > etc.
122. Re: etc. Oct 17, 2014, 23:18 NKD

Is anyone really surprised? Gawker is bottom tier Internet. It's sensationalized, dishonest, hypocritical, and unrepentant. And so are the people who work for Gawker and the people who continue to give them page views.  

News Comments > etc.
58. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 21:07 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 19:20:
I'm calling bullshit, completely disingenuous for you 3 guys to say "you would give a talk/speech/discussion" with armed participants. Hahaha_no

Especially without mentioning the part about she is under real and present danger from rape and death threats. Threats the police and FBI have deemed valid enough for her to be forced to leave her home.

She wasn't forced to leave her home. She chose to leave her home. The police or FBI didn't tell her to leave, nor did they ever state they felt the threats were credible. Public figures get threats all the time. If they left their home every time they got one, they'd be in permanent seclusion and would have to cancel their entire life. She needs to get over it if she's going to be in the public space. There will always be weirdos sending nasty threats and other shit.

News Comments > etc.
35. Re: etc. Oct 16, 2014, 17:15 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 16:39:

She pretty clearly read the first editorial while angry and wrote a very angry creed with a lot of inflammatory language. But while some of us read it and said "yeah, those people do suck and I wish there were more games out there that weren't so tediously stupid" others read it and said "how can she claim I'm like that?!"

She says games are targeted to that particular stereotype. Gamasutra and other sites have thousands and thousands of readers who enjoy those games. They will then infer that since they enjoy those games, that they must be part of the group that Ms. Alexander is disparaging.

It doesn't matter if you say "Not every gamer fits this stereotype!" if you then go on to say something dangerously close to "But if you like these games, you're part of the stereotype!"

Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2014, 16:48:

Question: would anyone frequenting these threads want to go somewhere and give a discussion about gender and games in front of an armed audience?

Sure, why not? Lots of people give lots of speeches in America every day. Some of the people in the audience are probably armed since this is the US. But last I checked showing up to your school classes is more likely to get you shot than giving a public speech.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 22:51 NKD

mag wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 21:25:
NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:57:
Gamers are being pushed out of gaming.

Did you totally miss the explosion of indie and Kickstarter titles as the glories of 90s gaming were brought back to life? What are you grumpy about?

The exception that proves the rule. Why do you think those titles are relegated to Kickstarters? Because the industry has a decreasing interest in making titles that don't appeal to the gamer who has no interest in being called a gamer.

And other indie titles are little more than shallow minigames. And as I said before, the corrupt games media can bury or push out any indie developer who doesn't play ball by basically refusing to cover their titles.

Kickstarter has produced a very small handful of titles worth playing over the past several years, and by virtue of their generally low budget, they are limited in what they offer. Other crowdfunded titles, like Star Citizen, may not deliver a complete game for many years, or may not ever result in a complete game.

Kickstarter is a great supplement to the games industry. It isn't a viable future unto itself.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 15, 2014, 20:57 NKD

Redmask wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:14:
What's fueling GamerGate?

Annoyance at articles like this one.

It's a significantly better article than some of the shit we've been subjected to. He at least gets it, to some extent.

He's right about one thing: It IS about losing control of our hobby. The AAA industry is slowly turning into an industry of sanitized casual shovelware titles as core gamers are replaced in the market by people who don't even consider themselves to be gamers. The indie part of the industry is being subverted by a corrupt gaming press that realizes it has more power over indies than it does over mainstream publishers.

I know for me it's very frustrating. I've always tried to stay positive about the direction of the industry. Coming from a small, rainy town with not much else going on, gaming has been my go-to hobby since I could pick up an NES controller.

I look around and see gaming slowly being changed. It wasn't Jack Thompson or the government who ultimately did it, but rather a flood of consumers with no long term financial or emotional investment in the hobby who decided "Hey this looks nice, lets take it away from them and make it our own." Gaming press have replaced their staff of lifelong gamers with people who barely understand games and who, just a few years ago, had probably never picked up a video game.

It's not a singular agenda being pushed. It's not some feminist conspiracy. Those are all just symptoms of the real problem:

Gamers are being pushed out of gaming.

News Comments > etc.
36. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 15:57 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 12:47:
'Gamergate’: Feminist video game critic Anita Sarkeesian cancels Utah lecture after threat
It is ridiculous that this is associated in anyway with anyone who supports #gamersgate without a shred of evidence. I think the whole #gamergate thing is kinda dumb, but it is the height of unprofessional behavior to associate a movement with a death threat with zero evidence.

Yeah it's really sad. You can't do anything anymore without someone associating your entire thing with some fringe psychopaths in order to assassinate it. That's always been a strategy, but it's never been easier than it is today.

The press is immune to scrutiny because they control the narrative. There's nothing that can be done.

6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 14, 2014, 20:47 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 20:31:
So far I haven't seen anyone caught for any of these threats, so it's quite likely they are being fabricated or sending them to themselves. There is a clear financial motive to do so.

While that's possible, and similar stuff has certainly happened before, I wouldn't take the lack of anyone getting caught as proof.

The majority of threats that public figures receive are never seriously looked into. There's just not enough time and resources in the world to parse it all, and it's extremely difficult to find people who've used any level of caution when sending their threats. The ones that people feel are more serious can be sent along to the FBI. The FBI actually has experts that are pretty good about telling a credible threat from some asshole just saying shit to be an asshole. I don't know exactly how they determine this.

From the article

”They determined the threat seems to be consistent with ones (Sarkeesian) has received at other places around the nation,” he told the Standard-Examiner. “The threat we received is not out of the norm for (this woman).”

Games journalists like to make a big deal of it like they are special snowflakes, but the truth is that these threats aren't really out of the ordinary for anyone who speaks publicly and profusely about any remotely controversial topic. Most know this, and don't say anything about it. They know that the threats aren't serious, and they know the goal is to scare them, not to hurt them. So they don't get scared. They don't give the shitheads what they want.

But even with actual threats that aren't PR false flags, people are rarely caught. So don't take that as proof in itself.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2014, 10:50 NKD

Don't really know how they'll do Civil War in MCU. Stark's MCU persona isn't really one to play ball with the government.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 14, 2014, 09:57 NKD

Based on the update, looks like Dropbox wasn't hacked, but rather it's one of those big lists of usernames and passwords lifted from other sources that you can use to get into other services like Dropbox because of people using the same password all over the place and/or not using two-factor because they think it's 1983 and passwords still protect you.  

News Comments > GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles
3. Re: GOG.com Has 100 Linux Titles Oct 14, 2014, 09:36 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Oct 14, 2014, 09:31:
Are these native ports? OR just preconfigured Dosbox / Wine emulated?

Not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say that native ports are unlikely. Native ports of such old titles would require a fair bit of work to get them up to snuff on running on new machines, and since you obviously don't need the speed advantage of native code for these titles, it would be kind of a waste of time and resources to port them.

Probably a DOSBox or Wine type thing as you said.

EDIT: Baldur's Gate requirements say it's a Wine game.

3429 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo