Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3928 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 25,000 H1Z1 Bans
16. Re: 25,000 H1Z1 Bans May 20, 2015, 12:47 NKD

Frijoles wrote on May 20, 2015, 11:27:

Are you saying they should do fuck all against cheaters and instead add a new hat? Can't say I agree with that.

The game is still in early beta. It's not really a time to be putting a lot of focus on cheaters. They need to actually finish the game. If they've got methods to detect them such that they can round up 25,000 accounts, that's progress at least.

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
12. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 10:13 NKD

If AMD really thought Nvidia was doing something horrendously illegal, they'd at least make an attempt at a lawsuit.  

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 17:43 NKD

Sepharo wrote on May 18, 2015, 17:38:

So out of the 811 reports they got they only considered 161 of those worth submitting to Twitter. And of those 161 twitter only took action on 89.

Ah I didn't see that stat. Yeah, that confirms my suspicions that a lot of what's being called harassment really isn't.

News Comments > etc.
29. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 17:29 NKD

Another thing to keep in mind, aside from the statistics, is that some of the more high profile Anti-GG folks on Twitter have very different definitions of harassment than the average person. So statistics not bearing out a "massive harassment campaign against women" makes sense. After all, it's likely the criteria this organization used was a little more strict in terms of what it called harassment.

For many of these people, any disagreement is harassment. They want the publicity of Twitter, but they don't want to hear any criticism of their ideas. They are trying to turn a public forum like Twitter into some kind of "safe space" instead of just sticking with Tumblr or some forum somewhere they can ban whoever they like.

They want to have their cake and eat it too, basically. The reach of Twitter, but the ability to shut out dissenting opinion like a forum.

Especially volatile Anti-GG folks, like Brianna Wu, even their supporters have to walk on thin ice. Even fellow SJWs don't dare disagree with some of these people lest they find themselves on the outs. Their semi-official motto is "listen and believe" which means that you're supposed to take what they say at face value, no matter how incorrect it is.

The simplest way to put it is that these people only care about their own personal feelings, not reality.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 10:14 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 18, 2015, 10:02:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2015, 09:55:
Quboid wrote on May 18, 2015, 09:43:
Does that blog acknowledge in any way the fact that the report only covered a three week period? It doesn't appear to be mentioned on the site or in the infographics.

I don't know if it's mentioned. But unless that 3 week period is somehow an extreme outlier where everyone in Gamergate decided to give not harassing people a try... it seems likely that any 3 week period would yield similar results.

Right, but what about the whole time? That an account didn't get reported for harassment in a 3 week period tells us effectively nothing about whether or not they have been involved in harassment at any time.

If we surmise that the bulk of harassers only ever send one or two offending tweets and then drop the subject or change their ways, then yes it seems likely that only a small portion of accounts would be active in any given week. But as I said, using the numbers observed during that 3 week period, even if a different group of harassers cycled in every 3 weeks, you'd still end up with not even 10% of the people on the blacklist being linked to any harassment since Gamergate started.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 09:55 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 18, 2015, 09:43:
Does that blog acknowledge in any way the fact that the report only covered a three week period? It doesn't appear to be mentioned on the site or in the infographics.

I don't know if it's mentioned. But unless that 3 week period is somehow an extreme outlier where everyone in Gamergate decided to give not harassing people a try... it seems likely that any 3 week period would yield similar results.

I suppose you could theorize a situation where everyone in Gamergate takes turns harassing and thus only 0.66% of them are harassing in any given 3 week period, but even with zero overlap you'd still be talking about a tiny portion of the so-called Gamergate Blocklist ever being involved in harassment at any point.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 09:37 NKD

Sepharo wrote on May 18, 2015, 03:09:
He has a point. Can't really call someone a "single issue poster" when they have years of history showing otherwise.

Years of occasionally posting once every five days, but then posting furiously whenever feminist issues come up.

Gamergate are misogynistic harassers! Hatred is an awful game and if you support this you're a monster! Pillars of Eternity's dirty limerick about a man distraught over sleeping with another man is transphobic!

He will furiously defend literally any opinion that the high profile Twitter feminist SJWs are churning out. But then he won't say a fucking word about say, the police problem in the US, because guess what? It's not a feminist issue because women actually tend to get a fairer shake from police than men do.

When it became clear to me that he would never, ever concede that Twitter feminists could be wrong about something, I stopped paying attention to his posts.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 18, 2015, 00:28 NKD

Redmask wrote on May 18, 2015, 00:17:

It's not irrelevant just because it's inconvenient to your personal politics. It 'would be nice' if you didn't pop up in these trying to bend even simple statistics to support your personal agenda and just let it stand on its own merits or not.

Honestly surprised anyone responds to him anymore. He's a Single Issue Poster with an obvious axe to grind. I stopped wasting my breath a long time ago.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 17, 2015, 18:35 NKD

BicycleRepairMan wrote on May 17, 2015, 16:45:

Thats not exactly what the report says. it actually says that 12% of abuse (12% of a specific blocklist) can be linked to GG.

Getting the message that you are responsible for 12% of the harassment on twitter is hardly a good sign.

I don't think you read through it correctly. Refer to this image.

Only 65 of the 9844 accounts on the blocklist were reported for harassment. Thats less than 1%.

This "massive harassment campaign" has been a fiction from day one. Nearly all the people accused of harassment are guilty of nothing more than disagreeing with people on Twitter. If you say or do ANYTHING they don't like, you get blocked and put on the list.

It's a "safe space" list designed to block out not only harassers, but anyone who disagrees with them, because they consider unwanted disagreement to be harassment. Even though they are shitting their opinion out there publicly.

This is the kind of stuff that gets you on blocklists. All that guy did was point out a factual error and voice his opinion that denying progress is disempowering to people. And then he gets shit on by one of Anti-GG's Hair Dye Consumers.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 18:41.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
23. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 17, 2015, 08:15 NKD

Perhaps the inevitable Enhanced Edition will turn back on the fancy shit. But from the sounds of that anonymous dev, it's features they cut entirely, rather than just disable.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
45. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 17, 2015, 07:21 NKD

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2015, 05:33:
InBlack wrote on May 16, 2015, 06:28:
Kind of disappointing actually, I thought a 980GTX would be needed at a minimum really, as I was expecting the CV to be 1080p per eye. True, we don't know the CV specs but as a few have already guessed at in this thread the 970GTX gives s a good indication of what they might be.

Im disappointed because 1080p per eye would be the bare minimum for the Rift to be of any use for us flight simmers.

I guess Ill be buying in at CV2 at the earliest, or maybe one of the Rift competitors could get there earlier.

I'm not sure what you mean "1080P per eye." OR CV1 is 1200P. Or did you mean you thought each eye would be 1920x1080? That would require a 6" screen of 3840x1080, and that doesn't exist. On the other hand, using two separate 1920x1080 screens in one head-mounted display is problematic. If they're misaligned by even a single pixel, then the illusion is ruined. That's extremely high tolerance and a lot more expense. The OR has always been a single screen, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.

FYI the CV1 is dual screens. Each one is 1080x1200. Same spec as HTC Vive.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 16, 2015, 22:05 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2015, 21:33:
Nobody comments how the first action after this on Reddit, was shadow banning people mentioning Reddits CEO's wife ran a ponzi scheme ?

Eh that's a common conspiracy theory, but frankly, I don't buy it. I'm not shadowbanned and I've commented dozens of times in very public posts about the subject. If they were trying to stifle discussion about it, why would they just shadowban a small minority of posters, leaving the posts up, while thousands of others continue to discuss it?

Many of reddit's shadowbans are questionable, maybe even most, but there have been no concerted efforts to shut down discussion about their CEO or her husband's ponzi scheme. There are discussions all over the place about it, and people talking about it without repercussions.

The real problem with reddits new policies is that they cannot claim to stand against harassment but then allow mockery and harassment subreddits like ShitRedditSays that exist PURELY to link to other reddit conversations and shame the users.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
9. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 16, 2015, 20:06 NKD

D4rkKnight wrote on May 16, 2015, 20:02:
Apparently they downgraded the graphics from the original E3 showing. The speculation is that once they discovered the hardware limitations of PS4/Xbone they were forced to downgrade the complexity of the games environments and effects. This shouldn't affect the PC textures though - I would still expect high resolutions there.

I can't find the post now, but I'm pretty sure they came out and admitted the graphics were downgraded due to console limitations.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2015, 19:24 NKD

jimnms wrote on May 16, 2015, 19:00:
MacLeod wrote on May 16, 2015, 15:29:
purchased Kerbal the other day... went through the first tutorial okay. Got to the second tutorial (launch), and when I got to orbit, it told me to bring my map up to plot a path or some such. My map is completely blank except for starfield. Apparently this is a known bug. Then I read, while looking that up, that if I wanted to play the campaign, I'd have to run the 32-bit version, because it doesn't work in the 64-bit executable. Quit the game and never went back.

I don't know what you read, but it must have been old and out of date because there is no 64-bit KSP. They added a 64-bit test build back in the alpha but removed it shortly after it went Beta. Even then the "campaign" was playable in 64-bit.

Yeah. 64-bit KSP was not updated to 1.0. It never worked properly in Windows, particularly when modded. A fresh install of 1.0 will only have a 32-bit executable. The 64-bit Windows version of the engine they use (Unity) is notoriously shit and they can't do anything about it until Unity releases a version that isn't ass.

But the 32-bit version is absolutely fine unless you're installing tons of huge texture packs.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2015, 14:03 NKD

While younger employees may not have a monopoly on those things, they sure do have most of them, and accept a lower salary offer as well. It's hard to criticize employers for preferring younger employees who have everything to prove and haven't become complacent or cynical.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 15, 2015, 08:17 NKD

Kajetan wrote on May 14, 2015, 18:19:
wtf_man wrote on May 14, 2015, 15:08:
I don't suppose "F**k You BBC As We laugh all the way to the bank" would be an appropriate title?
Maybe, but no money in the world can heal his hurt pride. He still has a big ego and getting fired from his own hugely successful show about someting he probably considers a small, unimportant "thing" ...

Hurt pride? You're joking right? The guy got canned, and the show ended because everyone who matters would rather quit than do the show without him. And then on top of that, people climbing on top of each other to try and sign those three to do a show for them.

That's a boost to ones pride if anything. These three guys and probably Wilman too will probably come out of this even better off, and maybe even better paid.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black May 15, 2015, 07:04 NKD

The third show in the Arrowverse, Legends of Tomorrow, looks way WAY better than this shit. And it's a bunch of C-List heroes/villains.  

News Comments > Overwatch Video
36. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 19:39 NKD

Osc8r wrote on May 14, 2015, 18:43:

Y NO WC4?

Because the RTS genre is effectively dead. People can be in denial about this all they want, but Blizzard's not going to spend more money on some big budget RTS after the mediocre performance of Starcraft 2.

14. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:21 NKD

Verno wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:19:
NKD wrote on May 14, 2015, 12:13:
Cool looking game. My days of playing online FPS are over though, getting too slow to keep up, and getting wrecked repeatedly is never fun.

What makes them too fast? I've found the learning curve for the pace is more severe now but once I'm in the zone that I do just as well as when I was younger. Getting into that zone usually requires a solid hour of play to almost warm up for lack of a better term though and I don't always have that time.

I don't know. They don't feel that fast, certainly not compared to the shooters I used to play, but I seem to do progressively worse every year. So I can only assume I'm slowing down. Maybe it's like you say though and I just don't put enough consecutive time in.

12. Re: Overwatch Video May 14, 2015, 12:13 NKD

Cool looking game. My days of playing online FPS are over though, getting too slow to keep up, and getting wrecked repeatedly is never fun.  

3928 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo