Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3563 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto V First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 14:21 NKD

That's cool. Better than mod-quality first person hacks.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 12:26 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 12:05:
Did either of the two of you read the rest of my post?

Suffice to say your opinions on how anyone should deal with threats are just that, opinions, not fact. You are now fully into victim-blaming at this point, by saying that her responses to harassment are triggering more harassment and death threats. Sure, anyone can assume that based on whatever minor trolling you experience online, but once you start getting months of death threats, maybe your anecdotal experience no longer applies?

Waving off every death threat she has received as just common "trolling" apparently no longer works for her, and apparently she feels threatened enough, or as I said, was advised to, take different actions.

Not everyone is built to just stand there and take months of death threats, and not do ANYTHING. Neither of you seem able to comprehend that, and that's depressing in and of itself.

You seem to live in this world where there are no facts and everything is just subjective opinion and we should all just shut the fuck up when we see someone doing something stupid.

Not engaging with harassers, and refusing to give them what they want isn't just my personal opinion. It is, in fact, the only proven way to minimize harassment. Getting scared of and giving attention to people who want to scare you and get attention from you does, in fact, make things worse. Again, not a personal opinion. A fact. These aren't controversial ideas dude. They aren't inflammatory opinions. They are historically and factually proven tenets of online harassment. There is nothing new or special about the harassment Brianna Wu receives, and it should be handled in the same way that other people handle it if she actually wants it to stop.

It's like getting cut and then repeatedly sprinkling hot sauce on it and saying "DONT JUDGE ME THIS IS HOW I DEAL WITH IT. OW OW OW WHY DOES IT KEEP HURTING" It's fucking ridiculous and self-defeating.

Go look at some of the online support organizations for victims of harassment and cyber-bullying. All of them that I could find recommend the following course of action: Document, don't engage, and report to authorities.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2014, 12:32.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 11:43 NKD

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 10:28:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 06:59:
As far as ignoring all of the threats or hoping people forget about her, really? That is your plan? She should just stop doing what she is doing completely and vanish because she is threatened? Even if she stopped talking about it personally, it's in the news and even your Gamergate comrades put up a web page about her and the other two women being harassed, with their photos and everything. Something tells me it'd be near impossible for her to just 'lay low' for months or years and silently pray for these assholes to get bored and stop.

And here you are moving the goal posts. No one's telling her to lay low or stop talking, just to stop giving the anonymous people who are threatening her attention. You do not kill trolls by feeding them. This is knowledge as old as the Internet itself and so many people still don't get it. Trolls want attention. You talk about them, you enable them because you've given them the attention they crave and proven they have power over you. If you receive a threat that's credible, you should report it to authorities, give them a chance to investigate it and yes, you can talk about it once it's been resolved. Otherwise, you have just created an anti-hero and convinced them to keep doing what they're doing because they know they can get to you. All of these people and articles talking about harassment, exactly how much help has that done to slow it? Hint: It hasn't. All it's done is enrich a bunch of web sites using the disgusting behaviour of these trolls to drive clicks. They don't care about Brianna Wu and what she's going through, they're profiting off of it. Constantly writing about and talking about harassment will perpetuate more of it. History is littered with proof of this.

I think he feels that by calling her actions counter-productive, we are somehow calling into question her right to BE counter-productive. That's just not the case. She has every right to handle it however she pleases. But what she is doing is attracting more harassment, so if the goal is to stop harassment, her strategy seems to be failing.

It's been months and she's still getting harassment and threats. So...

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
9. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 4, 2014, 11:35 NKD

Phasenoise wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 11:15:
My teenage son mocked me endlessly, calling it the "hiding in a locker simulator" due to how much time I spent cowering in there my first play through.
He changed his tune when I put him at the helm, and hey, now the whole family is hiding in lockers.

Just like when you were in high school eh? HIYOOOO

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 4, 2014, 10:36 NKD

What's with the uptick in "oh noes violent video games!" bullshit going on around this game? Is it just a reflection of all the anti-gamer/self-hating gamer sentiment going on right now?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
63. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 03:46 NKD

Prez wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 03:37:
Ignoring trolling psychos and getting back to Call of Duty, I watched a video about the single player and it looks pretty cool. Not '60 bucks for 5 hours' cool, but I can wait until it is cheaper.

On a side note, I find it amusing that I keep seeing "Coop for 1-4 players" as a bullet point feature. Shouldn't it be for 2-4 players? "I'm not playing Single player, I'm playing one-player coop!"

This'll probably be the first COD I've bought since 4, but definitely on sale. Single player co-op sounds like the loneliest thing. A co-op mode where your character talks to himself constantly and bemoans his lack of friends.

60. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 03:21 NKD

beremot wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 03:09:
Yeah ... when I'm rolling I don't always realize what a "wall" it actually is. Then I hit "post comment," and I see it and I'm like ... Oh fuck. If I didn't know I wasn't mentally ill ... I might think I was mentally ill.

You seem rather bitter and angry about an issue you really shouldn't be bitter and angry about. Why are the recently updated or posted ethical policies something to get upset over? I'm personally very happy to see it, and while it's true there's no big flashing neon sign that says "GAMERGATE MADE US DO IT." the fact that sites that have been around for years all start posting policies, updating policies, or including disclosure statements around the same time? Well, that's clear enough indication for me. And the important thing is that, regardless of the cause, it is happening.

If you believe it's completely unrelated, well, that's your prerogative. I'm going to remain optimistic for the future of game journalism, however, and not take the "All hope is lost, you are powerless!" attitudes that some people have seriously.

I can understand people getting heated about sexism and misogyny and death threats. But ethical policies? I don't see the controversy here guy. I should think that's something we all want and should agree on, yet you still seem somehow angry about it.

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 4, 2014, 02:11 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 22:13:
You need to check your calendar. Months of threats probably take a toll on anyone, or has it been years for Wu? I don't really know her backstory. Ignoring clearly hasn't worked, so she probably felt and/or was advised to try something else.

Ignoring it doesn't stop the threats in their tracks. Nothing will do that except for people forgetting about her. But the "alternatives" make the threats worse. You say ignoring hasn't worked, but she hasn't tried it. Since this whole thing started she's been talking about the threats constantly.

You should probably think about that, also please don't claim you know the workings of every law enforcement agency in the world. It's also common knowledge that she's getting repeatedly threatened, not exactly a huge leap in publicity there.

Which law enforcement agency do you know of that advises people to publicize threats they receive as a matter of policy?

I just haven't seen you recommend a better, more proven course of action than the one used by nearly every celebrity and public figure ever, most of whom have received death threats from obsessives and crazies. I guarantee you they get more threats than some indie game developer who barely registers on the public radar.

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 22:07 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:47:

It's real easy for people to say somebody ELSE should just ignore repeated death threats, even if it is the internet.

Making a big deal about threats attracts more threats. You basically chum the waters. No law enforcement agency in this world recommends publicizing threats you receive. You should probably think about why that is. I'm sure you've got some great justification for how giving assholes and trolls exactly what they want is a winning strategy?

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 21:23 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:12:
I'm no lawyer, but is there anything there to actually arrest/convict someone over? I haven't actually followed that particular story at all, so excuse my potential herpaderp.

Well, death threats are illegal, but they are also as common as grains of sand, and often come from people outside the US (frequently Brazilians for some odd reason) who know there is a snowballs chance in hell any government is going to go through the trouble of trying to arrest them. The only real solution to dealing with these kinds of people is to starve them out. Deprive them of any attention or acknowledgement of their bullshit.

And that's free. So why don't Ms. Wu and friends try that first?

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: Aero's Quest HTML5 Nov 3, 2014, 21:07 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 21:04:
NKD wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:55:
Didn't really think GTA5 music was all that memorable.

It wasn't. If anything it had the worst collection of music from any GTA game.

Definitely didn't compare to Vice City, or even San Andreas IMHO.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Aero's Quest HTML5 Nov 3, 2014, 20:55 NKD

Didn't really think GTA5 music was all that memorable.  

News Comments > Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music
2. Re: Cliff Martinez Writing Far Cry 4 Music Nov 3, 2014, 20:52 NKD

Composer who did Drive? Niiice.  

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 3, 2014, 19:42 NKD

Brianna Wu offers cash reward for the arrest of harassers.

Anita Sarkeesian ignores and blocks freely offered identity and proof of harasser.

Really a stark contrast. I guess we see which of these people wants to see the harassment stop, and which do not. That said, I don't think any amount of cash reward will actually result in people no longer being mean on the Internet.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 14:46 NKD

Prez wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 14:03:
I know they claim that this has always been their policy but that's BS. This is something new. Could it be that GG actually accomplished something?

Several sites have now either publicized or modified their ethics policies in the wake of Gamergate, including sites like the Escapist, Polygon, and IGN. We'll see if they stick to it, but some progress is better than none.

An ethics policy that isn't publicly shown is an ethics policy that might as well not exist.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 12:36 NKD

Tim Collins wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:20:
Confirmed, single player is a giant pile of crap...couldnt stand more then 30 minutes before i quit....Why do all the cods look like they are games from 1995....its such a scripted game its as if they don't care anymore.

When was Call of Duty ever the hallmark of unscripted gameplay?

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 3, 2014, 12:26 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 12:03:

Wow... I'm... stunned, actually. Someone listened and realized that having everything paid for means your opinion is also bought and paid for and thus essentially worthless. I applaud this move. Kudos, Polygon.

Yeah it's nice to see actual fucking disclosure starting to happen in the wake of Gamergate.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
27. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 13:59 NKD

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 13:18:
Can't put my finger on it but something is wrong, movement? or view? or bob? ... somethings definitely off.

Animations and stuff are clearly very early and unpolished. Very clunky.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Handsome Jack DLC Next Week
3. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Handsome Jack DLC Next Week Nov 2, 2014, 10:41 NKD

Got other plans for the 11th. Likely taking a trip to Paris. But I'll probably check it out eventually.  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
2. Re: Star Citizen FPS Reveal Nov 2, 2014, 10:32 NKD

I have a hard time getting excited about the FPS stuff. I guess I just don't know how it's really going to fit into the game, and worry it will just end up being a shitty mini-game.  

3563 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo