Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3073 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:48 NKD

It's funny, if they said "We couldn't really devote the resources." to any other cut feature, people would say "Okay" and move on. But here everyones throwing a big ol' fit without thinking it through even a little bit.

I bet most of these fucks haven't even played AC: Liberation either.

As I said in the previous thread, beyond the art assets needed, to set the story in historical times means to do credit to a female protagonist you need to recognize what it was to be a female in historical times. You can't just copy and paste a female into a male's storyline without sacrificing that. AC adds fantastical elements to the past, but it doesn't subtract all the dirt to make it an idealized utopia either.

Liberation is about a mixed race female Assassin. Freedom Cry is about a black former slave Assassin. And both of those stories examined the Assassin order from that perspective.

Yes, they could have done another female Assassin game, and maybe they will again. But when they do I'm guessing it'll be another game about a female Assassin. One they can add to their lore instead of just being a non-canon variant on a male character.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
65. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 21:37 NKD

PropheT wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:40:

The Assassin's Creed games are about as historical as Ancient Aliens. Sure, they talk about stuff that happens historically, but there's a fairly healthy dose of fantasy inserted there.

Yeah, they have fantastical elements obviously, but they aren't portraying the paste as some kind of egalitarian utopia where women and blacks and such are treated equal to the white males, so it would be bullshit to just copy and paste in a female character into a story built for a male character.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 18:05 NKD

I gave up hope on any new Star Trek series a while back. They don't want to water down ol' Captain Lens Flare's brand.  

52. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 17:52 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:07:
I actually think it would have rejuvenated the series.

The problem is that when you're going historical, any time before like the 1960s the character being female is going to have to be a significant element in their experience or you're being historically dishonest. I can see how writers would get tired of having to weave that into the narrative, and they've already done it once in AC: Liberation.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 15:47 NKD

Still no sign of more Deus Ex. Disappointing.  

43. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 15:37 NKD

While I'd like the option, I don't really blame them. It's a lot of work, and they'd feel pretty discouraged about spending time on it when only like 10% of their players choose the female option because it's not default or for whatever reason.

Plus let's be honest here. A male and a female experience, even as Assassins, in historical times would be significantly different. Slapping boobs and a nice ass on your avatar would not make a legitimate or credible female protagonist. You'd need story/dialogue differences. You can't get away with "It's the future, no one cares about your gender or orientation" in a period game set in 1789.

If they were going to do a female protagonist in one of the main-series games, it would be far better to do JUST a female instead of having both options.

News Comments > Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V
9. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 11, 2014, 15:24 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 07:16:
NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 01:19:
I'm not sure how someone could feel 'threatened' by Linux gaming.

You seem to be. Every time I click one of these to read about what people think about it, you go out of your way trying to turf it.

Linux gaming barely even registered on the radar until a year ago, now there has been a lot of press, new releases and the backing of a major player in the PC gaming industry. No matter how user NKD feels about it, that's news. It doesn't mean Linux will overtake Windows and no one is saying that. There's no time limit on these things anyway and damn it, how dare people be a bit optimistic about the platform they might be interested in. Keep using Windows and ignore it then if you don't think its a valid platform. No one is trying to force you to use it.

I just don't think it has the shiny glorious future ushered in by Gabe Newell that some people seem to think. That's my opinion, and I'm not sorry for posting it. Why is it okay for people to have an optimistic opinion, but not okay for me to have one that isn't optimistic?

And unlike most people around here, I'm pretty judicious in how I apply my pessimism, taking a wait and see approach to most things. Unfortunately I got tired of waiting for the Linux gaming revolution 6 or 7 years ago.

6. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 11, 2014, 01:19 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 23:16:
I'm not sure why you keep trying to denigrate such a positive thing for consumers in the form of added choice but you don't need to feel so threatened, you can keep on using Windows like you always have.

I'm not sure how someone could feel 'threatened' by Linux gaming. Not even Microsoft gives a fuck about Windows gaming, since their financial stake in gaming is tied up in Xbox.

I just think people always have way too optimistic an outlook for Linux gaming. People have been talking about it forever and it's not even caught up to Mac yet.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
71. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 11, 2014, 00:19 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 23:28:

They're adding additional release platforms, not double dipping.

They are releasing it a year after launch with some graphical enhancements for FULL price. Sorry, but there's no justification for this thing costing $60.

3. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 10, 2014, 21:58 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 19:37:
That's pretty cool, actually. If a big AAA game like this can port to Linux, it gives others less excuse to port.

Ported by a third party, four years after release. Not exactly what I'd call a change from status quo for Linux gaming.

News Comments > Skyforge Trailer
4. Re: Skyforge Trailer Jun 10, 2014, 21:16 NKD

What is Obsidian doing with this title? Last I heard it was being developed by some Russian guys.  

62. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 10, 2014, 16:24 NKD

Quinn wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 14:21:
NKD wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 14:01:
How do people fall for that?

It's called stupidity. Plain old stupidity. Sad but true.

What a stupid comment.

Ppl buy it first because they don't want to wait a year. People buy it again because they can finally play it on their favorite platform. It doesnt take that much effort to understand.

People here are always so quick to rag on excessive DLC , exclusive preorder bonuses and other questionable practices. But apparently have no problem supporting Rock stars double dipping.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2014, 15:23 NKD

Pigeon wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:05:

Ya'll are unnecessarily clouding the issue. Yes there will always be people that complain no matter how good a game is, or have unrealistic expectations. Yes there's subjectivity involved, but that doesn't mean you can't tell what's unreasonable and what isn't. It'd be like looking at a color palette and saying I can't tell at what point red turns to purple, so I'm going to pretend neither color exists.

It's more like saying I can't tell at what point red turns to purple, so I'm going to leave it up to individual's own eyes to determine for themselves, and not try to enact some arbitrary rules about what's red and what's purple, maybe creating a new bureaucratic agency to handle it.

I don't see why people here have such a hard time accepting the idea that game publishers HAVE NO LEVERAGE ON YOU. You can live without their games. You can withhold your money. If enough people refuse to buy a title, that studio is shut down within 6 months and they don't do that shit again.

If you're repeatedly giving your money to EA or whatever other publisher you despise, and then crying that you need to be protected by Valve, the government, or the Easter Bunny, while still handing more money over... well, we have a word for people like that.

Rules and regulations are there to stop people from being victimized by heartless corporations, not to stop people from victimizing themselves.

51. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 10, 2014, 14:01 NKD

Are people really going to buy this game twice at full price? 60 bucks for a port or "Enhanced Edition" of a year old game?

How do people fall for that?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers Jun 10, 2014, 07:29 NKD

SS wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 06:58:
Presumably a multi-million dollar budget and they cant afford actors that can do a French accent.

I see this kind of comment a lot when it comes to games, but believe it or not, it's intentional. Ubisoft is a French company, and their biggest studio is in Montreal. Most of the developers are probably French speakers. It's not as if they are being lazy or ignorant or can't find people with French accents. They just don't want voice actors with thick accents. It can make people hard to understand, and in the worst cases, can be very grating to the ears to hear for hours on end.

This is why you'll see thicker accents trimmed back to be merely the flavor of an accent. Native French speakers usually have very thick accents when speaking English. It's not very pleasant to the ears.

For example, Edward Kenway was voiced by a genuine Welsh actor, but not one with a particularly thick Welsh accent.

Basically, no one wants to listen to more accented voices. They are fucking annoying. It's like talking to Samesh in Customer Care for the 20-40 hour length of a game.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 and New BioWare IP Teased
8. Re: Mass Effect 4 and New BioWare IP Teased Jun 10, 2014, 02:35 NKD

I like the Mass Effect universe but was never a huge fan of Shep. I'll probably like whatever new setting they have cooked up more due to his or her absence.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 1
18. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 1 Jun 10, 2014, 02:32 NKD

Rockstar doesn't give a shit about PC. The only reason PC is getting GTA5 is because it's not too much trouble while they release it for next gen.

Fuck any idiot who falls for Rockstar's tricks and buys this game twice.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity in October; New Trailers
10. Re: Into the Black Jun 10, 2014, 02:16 NKD

I'm in for the co-op alone.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 9, 2014, 18:54 NKD

No, A 'Supercomputer' Did NOT Pass The Turing Test For The First Time And Everyone Should Know Better

Straight up bullshit. No news here.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 0
11. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 0 Jun 9, 2014, 18:48 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 18:22:
I get that exclusivity periods of DLC are easy, I mean, it just costs money and if there's one thing MSFT has it's money, but does it actually sell systems? Does anyone actually care? I suppose people must, but I buy systems for games. I buy very, very little DLC. Basically, if it isn't in the box I'm not buying it, so I get DLC if and only if I buy a GOTY edition.

Does it sell new systems? I don't see how it could. Virtually everyones reaction to exclusivity periods on systems they don't own is "Fuck you, eat a bag of dicks." That's not really a sentiment that you want people having towards your company. Exclusionary practices are not a way to build new customers. Obviously you're going to make more enemies than friends. But it DOES build loyalty among existing customers who can't look past their own selfish desires to see the behavior for what it really is.

Everyone has exclusives. That's just business. But Microsoft were the ones who pissed me off first, so I'll be buying Sony consoles and will probably never own an MS console again. I imagine there are other people like me who Microsoft has alienated.

3073 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo