Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3472 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 18:46 NKD

Honestly the negative attitudes about John Riccitiello largely come from gamers who know basically zero about business or what a CEO even does. Some game ends up sucking or having questionable design decisions, and somehow that's the CEOs fault. That might be true at some tiny ass developer, but at a large company the CEO is largely concerned with the big picture, not what map size is appropriate for fucking SimCity.

John probably saved EA as COO, and then later on as CEO he was really good for the company. He had a bad year at the end, but still. Unless the dude is bringing the entirety of EA management and development with him, the shortcomings of some EA titles are irrelevant to what he might do at Unity.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Specs; Trailer
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Specs; Trailer Oct 23, 2014, 18:35 NKD

Minimum and recommended are super close together. Strange.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 16:01 NKD

garrywong wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:57:
Is 14 years excessive? Not much harm was done in that case, but what if it had caused the helicopter to crash? The pilot, the sick kid, and any other passengers would have likely died. When you think about it that way, 14 years for an action that could have caused the death of people isn't any harsher than you'd get for an attempted murder, is it? Even more lenient, actually.

Attempted murder requires intent to kill. The level of education in the public regarding these lasers is woefully lacking. People are legitimately ignorant of the danger they pose because it requires a bit of technical knowledge regarding the device itself. All most people know about lasers is don't point them directly into an eyeball.

Very few people know that the lasers you can buy today, even very cheap models, can be powerful enough to cause significant distraction to an aircraft. Even in your post you seem to claim that only expensive specialty lasers pose a threat (sorry if I'm misinterpreting), and you are presumably more informed than the general public.

With that in mind, 14 years is rather nuts. Let's use drunk driving as an example. Even after decades of education and increasing penalties, people still don't get 14 years for a DUI. Even in DUIs where someone actually gets killed, people usually get under 15 years. Everyone knows driving drunk hugely increases the risk of an accident or fatality. People can be expected to know better. Drunk driving = bad is something beaten into our skulls from a young age. (Yet people still do it...)

I feel like you have to let people know what they are doing is dangerous before you can justify harshly punishing them for doing it. Jail time as a deterrent is useful, but only if its accompanied by actual education. Slapping someone in jail doesn't deter anyone if no one else knows it's illegal. Some guy going to jail is a tiny blip on the media radar. A couple articles, and then it's forgotten 2 days later. You need a reasonable sized media campaign to raise awareness over a prolonged period of time.

This laser crap is a result of public ignorance. It's simply a matter of people not knowing what they are doing is dangerous. They need to be told. If they don't listen, then throw 'em in jail.

Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 15:38:

It's typical Ars comparing apples to oranges again too. The guy who got 14 years had a warrant out for his arrest, and had prior convictions. He didn't just get 14 years for shining a laser into a medical helicopter.

The judge took his criminal history into account (none of which involved lasers) but all 14 years of his sentence was from the laser incident. There were no other charges in the case. To clarify, I think it's fair that someone with a criminal history gets a stiffer sentence, but the difference between the 2 years his girlfriend got and the 14 he got for the same crime is a bit too much.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 16:19.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 12:08 NKD

The US sentenced some guy to 14 years, which I think is excessive, but this guys sentence is effectively FOUR MONTHS OF BEING GROUNDED. He has a curfew and has to take drug and alcohol counseling. Way too lenient IMHO.

Given the lack of public education on how dangerous this shit really is, it's very easy to believe that these people thought they were just annoying some people, rather than putting their lives at risk. How bright that laser is a few hundred or thousand feet up is not common sense. We actually have to educate people about this issue. Thankfully, no one's been killed or injured because of these antics. But that also makes it harder to convince people it's dangerous. We don't have a death statistic or a crashed airliner to use as an example.

These aren't the little red laser pointers we use to antagonize our cats. They are way more blinding at a far greater distance, and most of the people selling these things do jack shit to educate their customers on what they are actually getting.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
6. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 11:48 NKD

Not gonna lie, the gameplay footage looks a lot more fun than typical Colladoody snail duels.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2014, 11:13 NKD

Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:25:
Bale should do a good Jobs. Both are/were egotistical megalomaniacs.

Plus Bale is a super dedicated actor. Guy doesn't fuck around when it comes to prepping for a role.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 10:52 NKD

I've been receiving death threats from dickless shits on the Internet since at least 1999. I even got SWAT'd once (before it was called that, and before my town actually HAD a SWAT team) It was fairly peaceful before then. Where's the article about me?

In all seriousness though, I'm far more disturbed by the uptick in SWATing incidents than these death threats, which are actually status quo for the Internet. Having a bunch of dudes with itchy trigger fingers and automatic weapons busting into your house is no joke. You can't just ignore that shit. It puts your life in real and immediate danger, given the tendency of SWAT teams these days to shoot first and ask questions later. I'm surprised no one's gotten killed by these SWAT pranks already.

But since it's largely a male-on-male issue, it doesn't get nearly as much press or sympathy as these toothless threats.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 10:59.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 01:14 NKD

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:25:

The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

I use a 3x1440p surround setup instead of a 4k monitor. That's more pixels than a 4k display, and a hell of a lot more workspace. While they are high pixel density, they aren't nearly the density of a smaller 4k display so I don't run into the kind of scaling issues that make fonts unreadable except once in a blue moon.

While the surround setup is primarily for the increased workspace rather than games, I do pretty frequently run games in surround.

But for games that don't benefit from surround or just don't run well enough at that resolution, I like to play them on a single 1440 screen. Supersampling works on the entire screen, unlike multisampling, and doesn't make everything blurry like FXAA. Yes, it's computationally expensive but I have the horsepower for it.

Support for arbitrary render resolutions is good stuff. I haven't used Nvidia's implementation yet, but I've used other tools to do the same thing and it can be incredibly useful for games that just don't play nice with "smart" anti-aliasing methods, or shitty ports. Final Fantasy 13 comes to mind. I used a tool to render that mofo at 4k downsampled to 1440p and it was gorgeous.

It's like a brute force AA for people who have the GPU power to spare.

News Comments > ArcheAge "Illicit Gains" Revoked
13. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 23:48 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:11:
NKD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 21:23:
Yeah, WoW has botters. But the level of trust ArcheAge places in the client software is insane.

You mean to tell me ArcheAge is about as legit as open Battle.net was in Diablo 2?

Alright, I concede my comparison.

Well to be fair I haven't heard of people arbitrarily giving themselves awesome gear or loot right into their inventory. So there's that at least.

8. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 21:23 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 21:05:
Warcraft still has rampant duping and botting methods and it's almost ten years old.

Comparing ArcheAge, or any other recent MMO, to WoW is kind of silly. WoW doesn't have anywhere near the level of exploits and problems that ArcheAge has. In fact, I can't remember a time it ever did. Even at launch the types of cheaters you saw were run of the mill speed/teleport hacks. Yeah, WoW has botters. But the level of trust ArcheAge places in the client software is insane.

I've seen people summoning weird Korean-named NPCs out of thin air in the middle of the capital city place. People using their boats as spinning griefing death pinwheels. People erasing debuffs from themselves, even that bot detection debuff.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 22, 2014, 21:10 NKD

The key quote on the EA thing:

"a non-actionable vague expression of corporate optimism and puffery upon which no reasonable investor would rely."

It's been legal forever for companies to use "marketing speak" regarding their products. As long as they aren't saying something that can be objectively proven to be untrue, then it's not fraudulent behavior. The main reason is that these vague descriptive terms are impossible to define to a standard that would be acceptable in a court of law.

If they had claimed "This game will have no major bugs or problems at launch." then they'd have probably been able to move forward with the lawsuit.

3. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 20:41 NKD

Maybe they could actually fix some of the exploits instead of just banning people weeks after the fact.

Oh wait, they can't, because they are dependent on code drops from the mothership in Korea and are like months behind the Korean versions codebase.

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
11. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 22, 2014, 19:27 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:22:
The first step in EA acquiring Unity.

Also, how can Unity afford this guy? Maybe he's taking a massive pay cut because it's a passion project for him? Something doesn't add up here.

John used to be CEO of Sara Lee, you know, the people who make those desserts. Maybe Sara Lee is going to buy Unity. CONSPIRACCYYY!!!!

News Comments > etc., etc.
28. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 04:42 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 03:59:
Well yeah, but I don't know if you're characterizing the Pinsof thing accurately there...

Neither do I but it sure smells fishy. I am not sure a court would look on what he did very lightly at all.

You don't really have to do much to run astray of one of these laws. Especially in California. No legal department worth a damn will let you say anything about an employee except to confirm they were an employee. If your company still gives actual recommendations or talks about your employment, they probably won't for very long. My understanding is that this practice of "Say as little as possible" is becoming standard.

A lot of times companies get away with it because how the hell do you know if you got a bad recommendation? Your potential employer isn't going to say anything, they'll just move on and hire someone else. But in this case these dumbasses had a big pow-wow in a mailing list and everything they said about the employee back and forth is written down and was witnessed by dozens of people. As Squirmer was saying, people in industries talk to each other, but they aren't sitting there sending it over mailing lists that virtually every employer in the industry is reading, and proceeding to drop names. They aren't that foolish.

Even if it turns out it's not quite enough to break the law, they were incredibly stupid for bringing their internal employment matters into a mailing list with a bunch of companies. That is some seriously amateur level stupidity. They could still be on the hook for a defamation lawsuit.

But this is all speculation, it's by no means a sure thing.

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 01:32 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:59:
If it were found that journos from USAToday, CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media outlest were colluding about which stories to run and which to ignore, as well as which journos to not hire, it would be a big scandal, worthy of lead stories for quite a while. It may or may not actually be going on but outing it would be HUGE. Colluding to deceive and colluding to blacklist people is not sitting down to drinks after work.

Exactly. Now, conspiracy nuts have been telling us the mainstream media all colludes together forever, but there has been no solid proof and frankly I'm skeptical that would even be possible. But that's another debate for another time. But mainstream media and games media are not even close to being on the same scale. And their fundamental power structures are different.

Mainstream media runs on money and political favor currying. Contrary to popular belief, gaming journalism is not big dollars. Even the big fish like IGN and Gamespot are relatively small players. Their parent companies (j2 and CBS respectively) could shut down those sites entirely and never feel the sting. Smaller players like Destructoid? Probably barely covering their bills, and relying heavily on unpaid volunteers. And as far as politics go? They have zero political influence.

In short, these Game Journo Pros guys are big fish in a small pond. And a small pond is a lot easier to control. Smaller acts of collusion and corruption have much larger effects and are harder to counter. And as I said before, there's no inherent competition to provide any incentive to not play ball.

19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 00:31 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:19:
NKD wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 20:04:
Mr. Pinsof decided that exposing the scam was more important than keeping the trans persons identity a secret.

I take it you don't feel that way? You'd have kept the person's identity a secret, even though he/she was 100% flat-out lying, and was scamming people out of their money?

I'm not sure that the decision to perpetrate a crime somehow should still afford you the right to remain anonymous.

Nah, I agree with Pinsof's original action. You shouldn't be able to use your gender status to shield your criminal acts or guilt people into not reporting your wrongdoings.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2014, 00:37.

16. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 23:55 NKD

Flatline wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 23:27:

It also kind of shoots the idea that gamejournopros isn't a list that occasionally embarks on collusion in the foot.

It's pretty clear that the Game Journo Pros list which some people here have defended as being innocuous is, in reality, a bad idea, both ethically and from a legal liability standpoint.

What's the value in having multiple voices to listen to, if they are all colluding to say the same thing? Even without intentional collusion, this kind of mailing list slowly, passively reinforces a kind of hivemind that colors peoples behavior.

In the real world, take a couple different outlets, like MSNBC and CNN. They have no reason to collude because they are effectively competitors. They have to fight for the attention of viewers. But in the games journalism world, people visit dozens of sources for news and opinions. There's no competition. If I post a clickbait story with a questionable premise, I'm not taking viewers away from anyone, I'm just adding them to my own. So... doesn't it sound like a cool idea for all those game journalists to work together to push controversial stories that benefit all of them? The extra signal boost provided by pushing the same story at the same time benefits them all, and helps keep the story in the headlines.

It's never a good thing to have the illusion of competition when there isn't actually any competition. People believe that "If all these competing voices agree, they must be right." When in reality, there's only one voice there.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 20:04 NKD

That whole Destructoid thing is a clusterfuck. I had a hard time parsing what was going on. Here's the summary as best I can tell:

Basically a dude named Allistair Pinsof who wrote for Destructoid fucked up last year while exposing an IndieGogo scam. Some person was running an IndieGogo for some game and to get life-saving surgery to remove some chunk of metal. Turns out it was a trans person just running a big scam to get money for sexual reassignment surgery. Mr. Pinsof decided that exposing the scam was more important than keeping the trans persons identity a secret. Outing this trans person got Destructoid a lot of heat, and some confusing shit ensued. Note that Mr. Pinsof is, to my understanding, an outspoken SJW, not some trans-phobic monster looking to destroy peoples lives.

Anyway, bottom line is Mr. Pinsof got fired and it appears that Dale North, Destructoid Editor-in-chief, may well have acted illegally when suggesting on the Game Journo Pros mailing list that other employers not hire Mr. Pinsof. There are laws in many states that make it illegal to "blacklist" potential employees in this way, and you open yourself up to huge liability.

This is why many employers will not give references. They will merely confirm you were an employee and that's it. Anything else is open to legal problems down the line. They certainly don't ask your potential future employers whether they should fire you or not, nor suggest, en masse via mailing list, that they do not hire you.

So now that this issue is getting public exposition, Dale's gotta go.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 17:19 NKD

Can we get a dislike button for our comments section?  

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
24. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 21, 2014, 16:33 NKD

Couldn't Blizzard afford someone relevant?  

3472 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo