Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2860 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > No BF4 Mod Support
19. Re: No BF4 Mod Support Jun 14, 2013, 00:00 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 23:55:
NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 23:50:
Even if they had mod support, we'd never see something like Desert Combat again anyway, and the annual release cycle would fracture the player base pretty significantly to the point where it'd be hard to get a stable modded server community going in the way we had in 1942.

How does CS do it?
Valve lets the mod community do what it wants and it's made an entire industry of harnessing it.

I'm confused. Valve is about as far removed from EA's annual cycle business model as possible. Not really a good comparison. If EA is releasing a new Battlefield every year with a new iteration of their engine with new features or whatever, you'd have an incredibly fractured player base and modding community.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No BF4 Mod Support
16. Re: No BF4 Mod Support Jun 13, 2013, 23:50 NKD

Even if they had mod support, we'd never see something like Desert Combat again anyway, and the annual release cycle would fracture the player base pretty significantly to the point where it'd be hard to get a stable modded server community going in the way we had in 1942.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > DNF Royalties Lawsuit
16. Re: DNF Royalties Lawsuit Jun 13, 2013, 18:24 NKD

Gearbox always getting into shenanigans. They should have left well enough alone and just let 3D Realms die.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 14:23 NKD

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 13:59:
Why is it their fault that Game B cost 300 million dollars to make and needs to sell 8 million copies just to break even?

Creston

The problem is that people say one thing with their forum posts and another thing entirely with their wallets. Sure, the profit margins might be increasingly tight on these big budget games due to ballooning costs, but we've given them no financial incentive to change directions. They keep finding ways to get more money from us, and we keep paying it.

If their big budget games started flopping left and right, they'd reassess the situation.

The publishers don't have us by the balls. We have all the power. We stop buying games and studios and publishers die. We just choose not to use it.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 13:22 NKD

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 13:13:
This is exactly my feelings about PS4 brought to you by Maddox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4sLpG6_36Cc

Good ole Maddox, poorly thought out diarrhea of the mouth for 16 years and counting. To clarify: I think he's missing the point that it's not about sucking Sony's dick, but rather spiting Microsoft.

You'd think if anyone knew about doing something out of spite for something because it sucks, it'd be Maddox, but I guess not.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 13:00 NKD

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:28:
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he said via Twitter. "The numbers do NOT work people."

CliffyB's latest troll rant against used games is up and he predictably backs Microsoft, claiming that modern game development and marketing is too expensive to support a used game market. Of course one might wonder why the marketing and game budgets need to be this high in the first place when people will spend millions on something like Terraria and Minecraft, surely there is a middle ground to be found there.

Destructoid absolutely decimates his argument, thought people might want to take a gander.

I see validity in both sides of the argument. Some, at least.

It's true that current game development models are expensive and continue to get more expensive. I don't think anyone disagrees that if games get more expensive to make, then that cost needs to be covered somehow. If they are selling fewer new copies because of used game sales and rentals, then they will recoup that cost somewhere else. CliffyB whines, but the industry seems to do fine finding other sources of income. Though generally they are sources we don't like, like DLC spam.

As for Destructoid's arguments, they are mostly on point, but I see a couple big flaws. One is the idea that gamers aren't responsible for these increased costs: Yes we are, at least in part. Maybe not us here on this site specifically, but in general gamers have chosen style over substance. Gameplay is cheap to implement. A designer and a few programmers can implement and balance features at an astonishing rate. Meanwhile for fancy graphics you need a damn armada of highly paid artists. Many indie games are rich on gameplay, poor on graphics, simply because shiny polish is the expensive part.

But games with simple art like Starbound can just focus on weapons for a couple weeks and have like 300 unique sprites finished.

Look at any big 150-person 2-year dev cycle project, and you'll find the first thing you need to do to cut costs is to fire three quarters of your artists. But that means trading graphical fidelity for graphical variety, or the other way around. Quite frankly, a lot of gamers can't handle giving up the super uber graphics.

But that brings me to their second incorrect assertion: That somehow the industry can unring the bell of spendy triple A titles. Some publicly traded company can't just downsize to 25% of its original size. The shareholders would declare war.

It's extremely hard for a large industry to become a small industry voluntarily. I can't even think of a precedent for that.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 09:39 NKD

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 09:23:
Dream killer

Sorry

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 09:17 NKD

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 08:56:
Tretton said The Last Guardian was on hiatus but then Shuhei Yoshida said it wasn't so who knows what the heck is going on.

My experience is that if there is some disagreement about whether a project is in active development, it's usually not.

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Begins
14. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Begins Jun 13, 2013, 09:16 NKD

BitWraith wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 08:49:
I'm starting to realize the internet is a very loud minority (I know, duh, right?). The community is shouting doom and gloom on rift's FTP conversion, and yet each one of these games that switches over becomes profitable while the online community shouts game death.

Anything that goes free to play is a "failure" but the truth is unless you're a World of Warcraft with several million subscribers, or an EVE Online with a rabid and devoted niche player base that would shun you for it, you're going to make more money and probably have more players with F2P.

No one is gonna pay a sub for very long unless you have something special to offer, or all their friends are already playing.

If you've got a middle-of-the-road game that's just decent at best, F2P is the only way to have a healthy player base because the barrier to entry needs to be small.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 13, 2013, 04:51 NKD

Faux News would find a way to justify literally anything.  

News Comments > RIFT Free-to-Play Begins
9. Re: RIFT Free-to-Play Begins Jun 13, 2013, 04:02 NKD

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 00:23:
You guys realize any time a game goes "free-to-play", *especially* when the experience is not hounded by micro-transations, the majority of the revenue comes from having a dedicated installation with network permissions on every users machine (i.e. the game).

They are selling your information up the ass of everyone who will buy it.

What information, exactly? The games don't sit there in memory and sniff packets while you're not playing, and if you track disk I/O on a per-file basis they aren't accessing random files and directories on your hard drive looking for information to steal.

Sorry smells like tinfoil.

News Comments > Op Ed
69. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 03:55 NKD

Prez wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 03:25:
I'm normally mostly on board with being "politically correct" (polite) but this reaction, though not unexpected, seems a bit much for what was said and a whistle.

I have to say that I disagree in the strongest way possible with your insinuation that being "politically correct" and "polite" are the same thing, because they aren't. Being polite is something everyone is taught from childhood if your parents are worth a damn - saying "yes/no sir/ma'am" "please" and "thank you", etc. political correctness is a fucking bullshit agenda-push by special interest groups playing as the thought police.

Yeah polite and PC are NOT the same. The whole idea behind being politically correct is adhering to some above-and-beyond standard for non-offensiveness. It's not meant to be a standard for normal human being, it's for....wait for it... politicians! Or other people whose words are being routinely dissected.

As for everyone else, look, I don't think anyone disagrees that certain trash talk has no place in a public E3 conference. But ultimately what the guy said is pretty fucking tame by gamer trash talk standards, and could easily have been said without any thought about rape.

Now aside from raving lunatics like Krovven who thinks a beatdown is the appropriate response to a joke you don't like, or Julio who thinks joking about rape means you're a rapist and should therefore be raped, I'm pretty sure we can get behind the idea that the guy deserves some kind of mild reprimand for being careless during a public presentation.

But I still think attempting to judge someone's entire being based on what jokes they laugh at is just good ol' prejudice. Our sense of humor doesn't dictate everything about us. I'm sure most of us, at some point, have laughed at something and then thought "Wow! I am going straight to Hell for laughing at that!" because our sense of humor was in conflict with our morality. Sometimes we know something is wrong, and laugh at it anyway. That's just how the brain works. That's why so many comedians use it in their routines. It makes the audience laugh AND makes them a little uncomfortable.

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jun 12, 2013, 21:16 NKD

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 21:08:
Star Wars- The Old Republic version 2.2. OPERATION NIGHTMARE.

Soooo...server merges?

They already did server merges a long time ago. The servers that remain are pretty crowded.

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 20:27 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 19:26:

So curious if/or where you guys draw the line?

Hurricane Katrina jokes?
9/11 jokes?
Hiroshima jokes?
School shooting jokes?
Boston marathon bombing jokes?

All funny to you?

I don't draw a line. And it's not about what's funny to me anyway. I don't expect anyone to share my exact taste in jokes. There are jokes I'd find a bit disgusting, but I'm not going to belittle people who do find them funny. I'm not going to be so arrogant to pretend that I understand how the human brain works and why certain people find certain things funny, while other people find them disgusting. I'm also not going to be so arrogant as to pass judgement on a person's entire life because of what jokes they laugh at.

Meanwhile, you sit here and say people and companies support rape, even though that's obviously ridiculous. Krovven threatens to beat people up for making jokes he finds offensive and calls people "little boys."

I can agree that certain jokes are inappropriate in certain settings, and people without tact should certainly have consequences appropriate to their lack of tact. But I'm not going to go beyond that. I'm not going to say jokes about a particular subject are always inappropriate, everywhere. And I'm certainly not going to belittle you, threaten you, or pass judgement on you for whatever your taste in jokes is.

People can find whatever they feel like to be funny, and it takes a special kind of arrogance to read anything more into it.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:55 NKD

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:48:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:43:
Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:31:
It's nice to see that a couple of people have some perspective and aren't being run by their emotions. Talk about absolutely asinine comparisons or hypotheticals - this thread takes the cake.

"I have a grandmother that died so no one can ever make a joke about old people again!! Waaah!" Give me a goddammed break.

No. Kidding. People want to talk about rape jokes? This thread is a god damn mental rape. I feel violated having even participated in it.

Haha! Good one. Uh-oh - I just laughed at your rape joke. I must be the scum of the earth.

I think hypersensitivity should be listed as a medical disorder. Doctors could treat it by mandatory daily doses of Louis C.K.

Wow dude you are LITERALLY HITLER. You should be EUTHANIZED immediately.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:43 NKD

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:31:
It's nice to see that a couple of people have some perspective and aren't being run by their emotions. Talk about absolutely asinine comparisons or hypotheticals - this thread takes the cake.

"I have a grandmother that died so no one can ever make a joke about old people again!! Waaah!" Give me a goddammed break.

No. Kidding. People want to talk about rape jokes? This thread is a god damn mental rape. I feel violated having even participated in it.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:27 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:19:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:08:
Rape seems like the appropriate punishment for an inappropriate joke... oh wait.

If rape is a joke to him, sure why not? He's not against it if he thinks its a funny public joke to make at work.

Making a joke about something means you support something?

If I make a joke about terrorism, I support being a terrorist?

If I make a joke about racism, I support being a racist?

If I make a joke about rape, I support being a rapist?

Huh. News to me.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 18:08 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 18:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:49:
Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:46:
So the pro-rape crowd can buy Rare Inc. products, the rest of us will not. Rape jokes have no place especially at work. Hope the guy from Rare Inc. gets some unwanted man-lovin and finds it funny.

Accuses people of being pro-rape. Says rape jokes have no place.

Then proceeds to say he hopes man gets raped, and not just raped, but raped by another man.

Interesting.

I'm not making a joke, I truly would think karma is wonderful if the guy from Rare Inc. got to experience what he finds funny. I'm against rape, but I'm ok with the Rare Inc. guy getting some as he seems to think it's not a big deal.

Rape seems like the appropriate punishment for an inappropriate joke... oh wait.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:49 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:46:
So the pro-rape crowd can buy Rare Inc. products, the rest of us will not. Rape jokes have no place especially at work. Hope the guy from Rare Inc. gets some unwanted man-lovin and finds it funny.

Accuses people of being pro-rape. Says rape jokes have no place.

Then proceeds to say he hopes man gets raped, and not just raped, but raped by another man.

Interesting.

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jun 12, 2013, 17:40 NKD

Krovven wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 17:33:
Fact is you, nor anyone else, have a meaningful rationale as to why jokes about violent sex crimes are funny.

I'll bite. Why is it funny? It's funny because some people find it funny. Humor is subjective. You cannot objectively state that something isn't funny. You can't mandate away the fact that some people are going to find something funny. Sure, we can agree that certain jokes are bad ideas in certain situations. Just because you're allowed to find a joke funny, doesn't mean it's a good idea to say them whenever you want whereever you want.

Some people aren't going to find certain jokes funny. Some people will find them downright offensive and disgusting. But stand up comedians who are famously offensive and dirty still have their routines packing comedy clubs to the rafters.

You might not like it, but a lot of people enjoy dark humour. Why? I dunno, ask a shrink.

2860 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo