Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2860 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2013, 15:05 NKD

Confession: I actually like the idea of the Xbox Live 15 year olds losing hundreds of dollars worth of games after continual online bad behavior.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support
5. Re: Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support Jun 15, 2013, 15:03 NKD

Fantaz wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 15:01:
How's the graphics engine? Is it good? (I haven't tried the game...)

Nothing groundbreaking in terms of graphics, but it runs great unlike Volition's previous engines.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support
3. Re: Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support Jun 15, 2013, 14:55 NKD

Fuck yeah!  

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha
59. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 12:37 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 12:34:
PHJF wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 09:19:
Unfinished projects which have not been greenlit should not be sold on Steam. Period.

That's a good point. Say for argument sake they don't get it done, or it's majorly delayed or something.

Yeah, people expect that risk from Kickstarter, but on Steam it's just called "Early Access", which implies that the game already has a release date and you're just getting in early.

Barely operational alphas don't belong on there, or need a big fat warning label.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jun 15, 2013, 11:04 NKD

I'm down. This game looks fun. I'll play it on PS4 if I have to, but I'd rather play on PC.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Four
13. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Four Jun 15, 2013, 10:26 NKD

Fantaz wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 06:12:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:21:
Where the fuck is the Booth Guys?!?

It's tough for gay guys to enjoy booth babes. Didn't they announce a GaymerCon recently?

Yeah and I remember the sentiment around here was. "Stop drawing attention to yourself gays, and you'll be the victim of less hate crimes! Just pretend to be straight when in public and you'll be FINE"

43. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 04:39 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 04:33:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 23:54:
Dev wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
And yet this is the 3rd best selling item on steam right now, ahead of skyrim.

Where are you getting that data?

This indicates otherwise?

Although maybe there is a more up to date list somewhere...

Actual stat is that about 150 people bought it on Steam...

Steam Charts

How are the Kickstarter people being given their alpha access? Steam codes? If so, do the several thousand people who backed at the Alpha level or higher count as a "purchase" when they end up registering their Steam code?

Not sure how their "Top Seller" page actually works, but a rush of people registering codes would probably boost things for a short time if that's how it works.

I find it unlikely that more people are buying a $90 barely playable Alpha RTS than are buying Skyrim, unless it's just a temporary boost.

41. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 04:18 NKD

mag wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 04:10:
Jackplug wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 03:23:
68 for a game that has been kickstarted, some community spirit by trying to screw a very big amount for a early access..Fuck ooofff!!

Let's repeat it again. Early access was a reward to kickstarters for chipping in more than a minimum. Now they want to open early access up to more people, but it would be incredibly dickish of them to offer it for cheaper than what people already paid for it.

This obviously isn't winning them a lot of positive PR either. They shouldn't have put themselves in this position in the first place.

36. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:46 NKD

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at some of the stuff I've backed. Cash-grab for beta/alpha is definitely more common than I remember.

Double Fine Adventure - Beta at $15, no Alpha offered.
Star Citizen - Alpha and Beta at $30
Wasteland 2 - Beta at $55
Shadowrun Returns - No Alpha or Beta offered.
Project Eternity - $110 for Beta, no alpha offered
Torment - Oddball here. Beta at $75, Alpha at $125. Beta "addon" available to any tier at $20, Alpha "addon" available to any Beta tester at $10.
Elite - Major Cashgrab alert here. 50 pounds for second round Beta, 100 pounds for first round beta, 200 pounds for Alpha.

Of course, none of them are trying to use Steam as a Kickstarter.

33. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 02:10 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 02:04:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:25:
Slashman wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:08:
This is all explained on the Steam page as well by the devs.

For me, there is no valid explanation for a $90 dollar alpha version game. Sorry. Everyone can 'explain' all they want.

Have you backed any kickstarter? If so, for how much?

Usually the $15-25 tier gets you the test versions, if they even do a public test. This type of bullshit situation is precisely why most game Kickstarters don't make testing contingent on a very high level of pledge. It's counterproductive to limit your testing pool, and effectively punishes early adopters who are going to be spreading the word about your game.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Four
7. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Four Jun 15, 2013, 01:48 NKD

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 01:24:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 00:21:
Where the fuck is the Booth Guys?!?

That would be a riot. You'd think someone like the Saint's Row folks about be all over that...

Oh man. I can see the articles complaining about it now from sexually insecure man-children.

26. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 15, 2013, 01:20 NKD

Isn't getting in during the alpha generally promoted by making it CHEAPER than retail? What's the incentive here... pay more to do them a favor?  

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
34. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 15, 2013, 00:19 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 22:57:
I must be the only one who thought the demo looked promising.

I didn't see anything objectionable that also seemed mandatory. I don't see why someone couldn't just sneak around and steal shit if thats how they wanted to play.

It's really going to come down to, as you said, AI improvements. That really makes a stealth game.

News Comments > World of Darkness Details Reset?
3. Re: World of Darkness Details Reset? Jun 14, 2013, 23:46 NKD

Actually reading this "news" it doesn't appear much of anything has changed at all...

Anyway, hopefully CCP isn't dumb enough to make this World of Warcraft with vampires.

26. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 18:21 NKD

Overon wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 18:07:
This gameplay trailer showed us bad animations, terrible AI, ugly GUI, and blurry textures and Adam Jensen as nothing but a thug murderer. This game was not designed to appeal to people who liked the first Deus Ex.

Changed that around just for the sake of argument. Pretty much the exact same shit everyone said about DXHR.

Just saying people shouldn't give up all hope... YET.

24. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 17:29 NKD

Not sure what all the freaking out and wrist slashing is about.

Aside from the shitty combat stuff, which you'll never see if you're playing it the right way, presumably, it looks like its probably the best stealth game we've had in.. uh... who knows how long. I don't really count DXHR since it's not that amazing if you judge it as a stealth game.

Speaking of DXHR, I'm having flashbacks to the threads about DXHR we had when they first started showing us gameplay.

9. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 13:30 NKD

I don't care if they put in options to make the game more action oriented for retards so long as I can turn the shit off and just sneak around, which appears to be possible.

It's already a better Thief game than the last one, at any rate.

News Comments > LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen
14. Re: LUFTRAUSERS Code Stolen Jun 14, 2013, 13:23 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 13:13:
I always wonder if stuff like this is an insurance scam. The cameras at the hotel must have caught this, right? And why are they making a game about Luftbalons?

And are there 99 of them?

But seriously, I doubt these guys even had insurance against theft on their random electronic crap.

News Comments > No BF4 Mod Support
29. Re: No BF4 Mod Support Jun 14, 2013, 08:17 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 01:49:
NKD wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 00:00:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 23:55:
NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 23:50:
Even if they had mod support, we'd never see something like Desert Combat again anyway, and the annual release cycle would fracture the player base pretty significantly to the point where it'd be hard to get a stable modded server community going in the way we had in 1942.

How does CS do it?
Valve lets the mod community do what it wants and it's made an entire industry of harnessing it.

I'm confused. Valve is about as far removed from EA's annual cycle business model as possible. Not really a good comparison. If EA is releasing a new Battlefield every year with a new iteration of their engine with new features or whatever, you'd have an incredibly fractured player base and modding community.

Sorry there should have been an empty line between those two sentences.

But CS has 3 games, each has tons of their owns mods with sizable communities and CS itself of course started out as a mod.

Average peaks over past 30 days:
CS:GO - 35080
CS - 34606
CS:S - 30062

People will stick around if mods and community thrive but as you pointed out EA doesn't want that because they want you to buy a new game every year. Meanwhile Valve is making its games free and raking in the cash as they help mappers and modelers sell their creations to the benefit of all.

I agree with you there. But those games were released several years apart, which gave them a lot of time to build up a healthy community. Mod support in BF4 would do the same thing, but only if EA changed their whole business model to one which would make them less money. Odds of that are... slim. The annual release cycle makes them a lot of money and they've essentially indoctrinated a generation of gamers to expect a new game every year.

Valve isn't really a good example anyway because between being privately held and the Steam infinite money generator, they can basically take any risk they want, or have any type of business model they want without worrying about heads rolling and shareholders declaring war.

I'd like it if EA would take a different approach, but I'm just not sure its an option for them. I think they are kind of locked in, for better or worse. Usually worse. Unless they run into REALLY hard times, like bankruptcy level hard times, I don't see them changing their ways.

News Comments > The Evil Within Trailer
4. Re: The Evil Within Trailer Jun 14, 2013, 00:13 NKD

I dunno what y'all are smoking. I don't know if the game is going to be any good, but it has the graphical mood right.  

2860 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo