Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3405 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
50. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 27, 2014, 03:45 NKD

So a few hours in, I am loving this game. The driving is a little wonky with KB+M especially, but still better than the GTA 4 PC driving for example. The shooting is mediocre as you might expect. I find it's most satisfying to play with a silenced weapon from cover, using the various distraction objects to buy you headshot time.

The city itself is probably the most lively and "real" city that anyone's ever made in an open world game. Traffic can sometimes get pretty dense so driving can be slower than you might be used to in games with less cars. But I imagine you'll get a clear street now and then especially outside of the downtown area.

Uh performance, I don't know. My system is really beefy so even at 2560x1440 with 4x TXAA and everything on Ultra I'm running a steady 60fps. I get the occasional stutter while driving around, maybe once every minute or so.

Beautiful game visually. They really put a lot of detail into the design of the city. All kinds of little touches here and there. They don't feel like copy and paste streets.

Storyline, I don't know so far, I haven't really gotten much into it. Honestly there's so much stuff to run around and do that I'm busy with that.

Police can be annoying. They drive really well compared to other games so they can be hard to lose unless you really take advantage of the hacks. It's often easier to lose them on foot in one of the many odd little nooks and crannies the city has.

Anyway, gonna get back to playing more.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 23:28 NKD

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2014, 23:18:
You are not comparing to the E3 trailer, you just seem to say that because they exist that people should be ok with it. That was not my point and I was pretty clear on it already. You think people have unrealistic expectations and I think you are wrong, people have expectations set by their own press efforts. Since you brought it up though, the conversations are highly repetitive and in less than 3 hours of total play I'm already hearing repeats. At one point in my actual gameplay, NPCs at an intersection all produced an identical emote at the same time. The weather system is nowhere near as advanced as initially shown and discussed by the developers. Play the E3 trailer, then go play the game.

Maybe people should be more understanding of the differences but maybe companies should be more responsible with their marketing too.

Ubisoft's marketing for this game consisted of an E3 reveal and then basically silence for two years. Shit, they even delayed the thing, which really derailed the hype the game had when it was a next-gen console launch title. Ubisoft's marketing, as you know, is mortally allergic to story spoilers, so they don't really show much. And what few trailers they did show, didn't even look as good as the game does on PC. I'm not sure how much less you can feed into a hype train than two years of relative silence with just a few trailers, all of which were less impressive and hype worthy than the E3 2012 stuff. Hell, they even accidentally released a trailer using last-gen console footage (that Aisha Tyler joke one).

I'm not saying you're wrong with regards to the industry as a whole, but for this title, people made their own bed on this one dude.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

38. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 23:07 NKD

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2014, 22:59:
I am watching both videos and not seeing even half of what I mentioned as it was implemented in the E3 trailer, let alone all of it. That's ignoring the fact that most people cannot run the game at those settings and are getting a worse experience than what you linked as compared to the E3 trailer. Compare and contrast with the E3 video in specific detail as I have done instead of being vague and linking youtube.

It seems like you just don't want to admit the possibility that perhaps they had a hand in creating hype that they couldn't possibly meet. It doesn't seem like you have any first hand experience with the game either. I have nothing invested in either outcome, I am just pointing out details that could lead people to believe that.

You don't see the wind blowing coke cans and shit across the ground? The trees swaying in gusts of wind, then swaying a little less when the wind calms (especially noticeable in the time lapse video) along with the various weather effects, like the small breaks in rain where some sun comes through in the walkabout video.That's something you don't really see, ever, weather is usually on or off

The conversations from NPCs and the occasional reaction to your presence in the walking video are noticeable as well. (Apparently these reactions and how common they are depend on your reputation in the city)

And these are two videos where he's not doing much, so a lot of what you listed wouldn't even be expected to happen.

I'm just saying that a lot of people are taking a glass of water from the ocean, finding no whales in it, and saying whales don't exist.

News Comments > Memorial Tech Bits
2. Re: Memorial Tech Bits May 26, 2014, 21:22 NKD

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 26, 2014, 21:11:
The game has the graphics quality of GTA4..

Yeah it looks exactly like GTA4. You're right.

Literally indistinguishable from Watch Dogs.

Which game is this car from? I can't tell.

This is getting ridiculous. In about 3 days you guys will be saying it looks like Super Mario Bros.

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
11. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 26, 2014, 21:12 NKD

jdreyer wrote on May 26, 2014, 16:51:
NKD wrote on May 26, 2014, 14:12:
Remasters of PS3/Xbox360 era games? That would be a colossal waste of time and money.

Really? On the PC, I would love to play some modern remakes of some of my favorite classic games: Homeworld (which is coming out soon), Xwing & Tie Fighter, Dungeon Keeper, I-76 (pure remake OR sequel), System Shock 2 (although still pretty playable with mods), Undying, and a bunch of others.

And I know that I'm not the only one who thinks that way looking at the fan made remakes that are either finished or in progress: remake of the original Half Life: Black Mesa, remake of Morrowind: Skywind, and remake of C&C Renegade: Renegade X.

I'm not against HD remakes in general. And the titles you list are 10, 15, 20 years old. For example, The Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remaster was phenomenal and actually brought the complete versions of the games to the US market. But remaking some shit that came out 2 years ago? Come on now.

36. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 21:08 NKD

Redmask wrote on May 26, 2014, 18:43:

- Trash and debris get blown by wind and strewn about the streets.
- Trees and umbrellas sway in the wind.
- Conversations and interactions between NPCs happen all around you as you walk down a sidewalk.
- A weather report on the news accurately predicts the night's weather.
- Phone jamming as a hack causes disruptions.
- dot connexion digital gallery has about 100 NPCs inside it.
- There is realtime profiling as you walk around.
- There exists a "violence probability" variable number as people spot you and react.
- There are gorgeous weather effects.
- Causing a traffic accident at an intersection equates to a 10 car pile-up.
- An NPC walking on the sidewalk asks an accident victim if they are OK and helps them out of car.
- Slow-motion causes rain droplets and bullet casings to float in the air.
- If an NPC driver gets shot, an NPC passenger will freak out talking to the dead driver. Aiden can rescue the living NPC from the gunfight.
- There is an ability to leap over cover while shooting an enemy, followed by picking up the enemy's weapon. It's done as one smooth, cinematic action.
- A gas station that's been burning for about 60 seconds will finally explode.
- A large explosion causes short-term ear ringing.
- Light from helicopters causes Aiden to shield his eyes.

That's funny, because in these two videos from the PC version on Ultra, several of those things are visible. And that's just in two brief videos. I wonder what else from your list is actually in the game.

Video 1
Video 2

This comment was edited on May 26, 2014, 23:07.

21. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 15:26 NKD

Verno wrote on May 26, 2014, 15:11:
Well I mean to be fair Ubisoft's E3 conference and previews had a lot of shit that was crafted for that purpose alone and doesn't even exist in-game.

Like what specifically? I hadn't heard about any major cuts. Only stuff I'd heard was that there was some major graphical downgrade, but actually comparing the E3 2012 footage with the PC Ultra footage people have been putting on YouTube, I'm failing to see any real difference on that front that can't be chalked up to different weather and lighting conditions.

I feel like people have built up the E3 2012 stuff in their mind so much and haven't actually gone back to look at it.

18. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 15:07 NKD

Verno wrote on May 26, 2014, 14:24:
The first AC game had some problems too so I wouldn't write this off. It's a pretty competent GTA type game with some rudimentary stealth and hacking mechanics. They fostered some insane hype which is working against them unfortunately.

That seems to be par for the course these days. Expectations are always so high and people get into these self-reinforcing hype loops that no game can live up to.

We're in an era where nearly every game is a massive disappointment, and gets skewered on social media, YouTube, and reddit.

Even here at Blue's where people supposedly aren't as susceptible to the hype circlejerks, nearly every game is some huge disappointment and is a $10 Steam special to be purchased a year after everyone else has stopped playing.

News Comments > Memorial Legal Briefs
8. Re: Memorial Legal Briefs May 26, 2014, 14:48 NKD

Blah blah blah. It's cheaper to pay their lawyers than to license each others technology. That's why this legal battle will never end. It works out best for both of them.  

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
2. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 26, 2014, 14:12 NKD

Remasters of PS3/Xbox360 era games? That would be a colossal waste of time and money.  

6. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 12:52 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on May 26, 2014, 12:48:
I do like that table at the end of the page though with the recommended settings for different video cards.

Looks like they are only targeting 35fps @ 1080p with those settings though. I know that might be a bit low for most of us. I dunno.

4. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 12:45 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on May 26, 2014, 12:36:
i7-2600K, GeForce GTX TITAN SLI system at 1920x1080, with every other setting maxed out, and 4x TXAA enabled.
With specs like that they can not even hit 60fps on low HBAO settings 1080p resolution, ouch

TXAA makes a pretty significant performance hit. It's equivalent performance hit to using 8x MSAA. Even on my Tri-SLI Titan setup, I doubt I'll be using it.

2. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 12:30 NKD

That Nvidia page is fucking fantastic. It has interactive comparison screens for every graphical setting so you can see precisely the difference the setting makes, as well as benchmarks showing the performance hit each setting will make.

It's also got a list of tweaks you can find in some file and whether or not their testing found any difference.

I was expecting some hollow marketing bullshit, since we're talking about the official Nvidia site, but this is probably one of the most informative tweaking guides I've seen in years.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2014, 18:28 NKD

nin wrote on May 25, 2014, 18:12:
The non-stealth approach is shit also, IMO. If you kill someone, all his buddies have ESP and know about it. Then an alarm is triggered and EVERYONE knows where you are. I've yet to actually cancel an alarm (they sure as hell don't time out). Usually I just reload the game and stealth in.

Not sure of you can cancel alarms either. But from my experience, the first alarm happens, then a second wave of called in reinforcements. And after that, I thought it stops?

I hate infinite respawns, but I've yet to come across the here yet...

There are a few spots where, if you don't move forward, the enemies will keep spawning. Not very common though. With regards to alarms, anything that isn't scripted you end the alarm by killing the Commander in that area.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2014, 16:13 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 25, 2014, 15:56:
I guess you could argue that you might want to delay picking up health so you can maximize your overcharge but that doesn't apply to ammo or armor.

Grabbing that big 25 or 50 armor pickup when you're missing like 5 armor is a bit wasteful. Especially if you're on Wyatt timeline where your armor pickup values are increased.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 15:17 NKD

jdreyer wrote on May 25, 2014, 14:24:

1. I get frustrated with policians that try to implement stupid laws like assault weapons and large magazine bans, when 95% of gun homicides are performed with pistols.

It's vote pandering, plain and simple. They know these laws won't even make a shadow of a scratch on the overall amount of gun violence, but it makes them look good.

To reduce the impact of guns on violent crime, you need a far more aggressive ban-and-confiscate law that would never in a million years fly with the American people or with the SCOTUS.

Violent crime in the US is in decline overall, so without a massive uptick in overall gun violence, there's not much leverage for aggressive legislation.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 May 25, 2014, 12:48 NKD

Tactics don't really come into play? Fucking what? He needs to play on Uber. According to the stats, I died 250+ times beating the game on Uber, and there were still two brief places I had to turn it down a notch.

Having to press a button to pick up armor, health etc IS a bit strange by shooter standards. You never had to do that in the previous Wolfenstein games. For armor and health I like it, because it means I'm not accidentally running over a big armor pickup when I've only lost 2 points of armor. I get to actually choose when I pick the things up.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 11:44 NKD

panbient wrote on May 25, 2014, 11:25:
The problem is not gun violence, the problem is simply violence.

Gun control is a band-aid solution, and one that is pretty impossible to implement in the US in any effective way. The federal government can't pass anything with teeth. It's not possible in the current political climate first of all, and you'll upset SCOTUS if you step too heavily on the 2nd Amendment, and your law will be flushed anyway.

So you need to address the underlying problem of violence, as you said. There's a reason violence goes hand-in-hand with poverty and lack of education. It's not just a meaningless correlation. We need to address the needs of US citizens living in poor areas, especially poor urban areas where violence is through the roof.

What the specific solution is, I don't know. I'll leave that to people much smarter than I am. But addressing poverty and education issues is absolutely the key to drastically lowering violent crime rates in the US, whether it be with a gun, a knife, or a cactus.

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 06:35 NKD

BobBob wrote on May 25, 2014, 02:59:
Devastated by what has happened in my home town Santa Barbara. Considering returning to Europe. Too many crazies with guns in the USA.

Crazies aren't the problem.

There are around 10,000 firearm homicides in the US each year. That's about 27 deaths a day. The occasional crazy doing something like that is barely a drop in the bucket of gun violence in the US. It largely happens in poor, urban areas of the country.

But people only seem to care when it happens to middle class white people, and even then they forget about it within a few weeks. If people were serious about wanting to solve the problem of gun violence, they wouldn't speak up only after high profile shootings.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe May 24, 2014, 16:09 NKD

The thing I don't like about Distant Worlds is the combination of weird font and tiny text size on my 2560x1440 monitor. It's nearly too small to read and basically killed the game for me.  

3405 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo