Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Six
74. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 14:06 NKD

"You don't agree with me therefore you are RollinThundr and are trolling!"

You know what Beamer? Fuck you, fuck your family, and the fuck the 13 generations of your ancestors.

I try to have a god damn civilized debate, and then you compare me to ROLLINTHUNDR of all people, some god damn right wing lunatic fucktard probably from Texas?

Seriously, eat a bag of dicks and choke to death on them. Welcome to ignore.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 13:52 NKD

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:47:

Lol the wife actually laughed at this post. Sorry not all of us are on the politically correct bandwagon. Some of us aren't afraid to speak their mind and say exactly what they think, and really don't care if people get their panties up in a bunch because of it.

There's a lot of acceptable area you could occupy between "politically correct" and "so god damn backwards he needs to be thrown in a wood chipper.". But no, you insist on lingering near the wood chipper.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

70. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 13:34 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:23:
I mean, how fucking sexist is that term?

What's really sexist is acting as if women need some man sticking up for them to accomplish something. I find white knighting to be sexist chivalristic bullshit extension of the idea that women need to be protected.

Regardless, what the hell do you propose? Articles like this, when written by women, get shot down and responded with "get back in the kitchen." It makes the people on this board every bit as brainless as the ones on Kotaku. That Tropes & Video Games series is absolutely ripped apart with such logical fallacies as "its always been this way" and "stop whining" and "haha vagina."

If you concern yourself with what fucktards like TrollinThundr say and think, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Women don't owe those cavemen a fucking thing, and no number of articles is going to accomplish anything. Trying to convince a bunch of drooling basement-dwellers of your worth is a waste of time. They cannot be turned or convinced, ever. If you're seriously thinking that a well-crafted article and some forum posting is going to turn RollinThundr into an actual human being, I don't know what to say.

Are you proposing they take up violence? Because, clearly, well thought out editorials and videos don't get through the thick skulls of a bunch of scared boys that think they're better.

Taking up violence? No. Taking up C++ Primer Plus, developing a code portfolio, and getting into the industry by just being that damn good? Yes. It's how women are making head way in other male dominated industries. It's slow going, but you get what you work for.

Some idiot trolls on the Internet are not a meaningful barrier. They are noise.

68. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 13:25 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 13:05:
What matters is whether or not our inherent differences might explain the observed results of whatever we are investigating. Despite the decades of promoting STEM careers for women, they still choose those careers way less often than men. Even the "successes" (like the growing number of female engineers) show these differences (when you note that the growth has overwhelmingly been in disciplines like civil engineering... and chemical and mechanical engineering still lags tremendously). Perhaps this may be biological (as men tend to have better 3D visualization skills, but women tend to be better integrators)? Rule that out before you start preaching against the "old boys' club"...

This sounds like the "Blacks are better at some sports, and white people others" argument when the only difference is that blacks play sports that you can get into while being poor, while white people tend to be in rich people sports. There's almost no real science that backs up what you're saying. On the other hand, there's ample science to show that it's almost always social norms, familial pressure and the like that drive people into careers, not natural genetic affinity.

What little actual science sits behind your argument might explain minor differences, but not wholesale inability to perform a task adequately. Every industry where women get a foothold, they tend to do just as well as their male counterparts, if provided equal training and possessing equal dedication.

Your argument is the typical red herring used in just about every discussion on sexism. The number of jobs where males or females can be demonstrated to be better are pretty much limited to physical ones like athletics where differences in muscle mass and bone structure can explain the advantage using simple physics.

62. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 12:31 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 12:06:
NKD wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 10:50:
Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 10:26:
Lastly, you guys flame the shit out of those Gaming Tropes & Women videos. Of course no women come here. This site is almost exclusively straight white males (with the occasional netnerd.) Now, is that because only straight white males enjoy video games, or is that because there's something in the culture of video games and proudly on display here that doesn't make other groups feel welcome?

Sexism is a reality of industries with a heavy gender leaning. And like I said earlier, it sounds like a Catch-22, but the solution really is to just market the fuck out of the industry to the female population. The more females there are, the more females will be interested in taking part. And once the gender imbalance starts to level out, you'll see the sexism start to fade away.

In short, sexism doesn't cause the lack of females in the industry, the lack of females in the industry causes the sexism. That imbalance in representation causes females to be considered the "other." and makes it very easy to fall into casual sexism.

We've seen this throughout history. That's just how society works. If you want something, you have to fight for it. If you're sitting around waiting for straight white male sausage fest to stop being sexist, racist, and homophobic, you'll be waiting forever, because it's not going to happen. Put a bunch of similar people together, and very quickly the people who aren't similar become the butt of all the jokes.

If you really believe sexism is the cause of the problem, and not a symptom, then what's the solution? How are you going to get a bunch of straight white males hanging out with other straight white males to stop being racist, homophobic and sexist?

I disagree with you on the chicken-egg thing.

And what industries are heavy-gender-leaning against females? Strippers? Hooter's Waitresses?
Even areas that tend to be very female leaning, like fashion and HR, typically have men at the top. How many female fashion designers can you name off the top of your head? How many males? And there are far more male CHROs (going by different titles everywhere) in Fortune 500 companies than female ones, yet HR is a function typically about 85% female.

NKD, a bunch of straight white males hanging out with other straight white males can stop being racist, homophobic and sexist by growing some empathy. The most common argument is "blah blah blah ME blah blah blah." They need to learn this isn't about them, or how it makes them feel. Sure, maybe they never yelled "hey, nice ass" at a girl walking down the street, but they're certainly enabling it by defending it here and, in the case of some, claiming it's actually something women want because the one time it happened to their wife she enjoyed it.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone else. And not with your own experiences, but imagine going through life as them.
It really helps.

Or, more importantly, expand your interactions. I'm sure you have other hobbies that attracts a more diverse group of people. Have these discussions with them.

Lastly, accept that you may passively be part of a problem without suddenly feeling like part of a witchhunt, getting defense, and digging further into it. Man, some of the comments in this thread are outright ignorant, followed by "and why do people call me ignorant!" Because you're unwilling to learn and see someone else's point of view (not you NKD, others.)

You're talking about goals, but not offering a solution of how to get there. How are you proposing to instill empathy in someone? You can't get someone to empathize with you if, for all intents and purposes, you don't exist to them. No one is going to learn to empathize with women if there are no women around. Like I said, if you put a bunch of similar people together, quickly the people who are not similar are the butt of all the jokes.

Women have to decide they want to be a part of something, and take it for themselves. They neither need nor want a bunch of white knights. The first blacks to play baseball, or work in various industries, didn't sit around and wait for white people to stop being racist dickbags before they tried to participate. If they had, they'd still be waiting!

No discriminated or oppressed class ever got the respect they deserve by sitting around waiting for charity or waiting for society to change. They fought for that change by putting themselves out there.

News Comments > BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs?
12. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 11:59 NKD

Fantaz wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:51:
Aren't they supposed to be paying QA people to test early rough Alpha builds? How can they ask for regular online gamers to do their work as volunteers? Shameful...

At least they aren't charging people $90 to do it I guess.

9. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 11:42 NKD

PHJF wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 11:34:
Maybe they just want an OS gamers actually use.

Like Vista?

Windows 7 64 bit 53.47%
Windows 7 13.38%
Windows 8 64 bit 11.83%
Windows XP 32 bit 7.65%
Windows Vista 64 bit 4.64%
Windows Vista 32 bit 2.60%

57. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 10:50 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2013, 10:26:
Lastly, you guys flame the shit out of those Gaming Tropes & Women videos. Of course no women come here. This site is almost exclusively straight white males (with the occasional netnerd.) Now, is that because only straight white males enjoy video games, or is that because there's something in the culture of video games and proudly on display here that doesn't make other groups feel welcome?

Sexism is a reality of industries with a heavy gender leaning. And like I said earlier, it sounds like a Catch-22, but the solution really is to just market the fuck out of the industry to the female population. The more females there are, the more females will be interested in taking part. And once the gender imbalance starts to level out, you'll see the sexism start to fade away.

In short, sexism doesn't cause the lack of females in the industry, the lack of females in the industry causes the sexism. That imbalance in representation causes females to be considered the "other." and makes it very easy to fall into casual sexism.

We've seen this throughout history. That's just how society works. If you want something, you have to fight for it. If you're sitting around waiting for straight white male sausage fest to stop being sexist, racist, and homophobic, you'll be waiting forever, because it's not going to happen. Put a bunch of similar people together, and very quickly the people who aren't similar become the butt of all the jokes.

If you really believe sexism is the cause of the problem, and not a symptom, then what's the solution? How are you going to get a bunch of straight white males hanging out with other straight white males to stop being racist, homophobic and sexist?

4. Re: BF4 Alpha Testing Invites and Specs? Jun 17, 2013, 10:24 NKD

The Windows 8 thing is really weird. Win8 doesn't require any special consideration when you're creating a game. There are no drastic changes in terms of gaming. A few DX and WDDM tweaks, but that's all backwards compatible. One could argue that they are trying to narrow down the OS types for the sake of testing, but then why Vista? According to the Steam survey, more people already use 8 than Vista by 50-60%.

Would love to hear a technical explanation for it.

News Comments > Dota 2 This Summer
2. Re: Dota 2 This Summer Jun 17, 2013, 10:18 NKD

I'll never understand what people see in this genre. I've given it a chance, I really have, but my god I can't help but absolutely despise it. And I don't have words for that feeling when I log on to Steam to see if anyone wants to play something and its just a big long list of people playing bottom-tier Dota 2 games thinking that someday they'll be good.  

32. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 22:55 NKD

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 22:42:

I think the real issue is most women just aren't interested in building video games in the first place. The idea that there's all these millions of women who are playing console and PC games is just not reality.

So it makes sense that it would be a male dominated industry.

It does limit the recruiting pool significantly. You have to start getting them interested young. You first have to be interested in games before you can be interested in making them. The reason there are so few women in the games industry is because there are social stigmas that say women can't be serious gamers. You have to attract girls to gaming to get them out of their shell of conformity to societal norms. Look at male nurses, still fairly rare because of some macho pre-conceptions that it's a girls job, but they are making strides in that area by showing male nurses on TV shows etc.

Painting sexism as the bogeyman doesn't work because by the time a girl even has the social awareness to really see sexism, it's too late. If she's already interested in games, some perceived sexism isn't going to stop her from pursuing her dream. If she isn't interested, then it doesn't matter, you're not going to get her now, she's already got other dreams.

28. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 22:17 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 22:14:

I don't get your point. "I don't see how one problematic industry is different than another problematic industry." So people shouldn't try to improve something if other things are also screwed up?

I'm saying worrying about some minor contributing factor in one industry is counter-productive to solving the greater issue, which is getting women interested in the industry. "There are booth babes at cons!" isn't the big deterrent to getting women involved. It's the men. Women don't want to be part of a sausage fest, so it'll be slow going building momentum. The more women there are, the more women who will want to join in.

25. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 22:08 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 22:02:
Again, standing out is fine. However, when people assume that your only qualification is looking good, that's problematic, especially when it affects what opportunities are made available to you. How people perceive you is a pretty important factor in any career. After the response Jade Raymond received during her marketing of AC, she will likely never do anything like that again because dealing with the backlash wasn't worth it. The existence of booth babes only perpetuates the idea that women in the games industry exist only as eye-candy.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing how the game industry is any different than any other male dominated industry. Other industries don't have booth babes, and attractive women in positions in those industries are also assumed to have gotten there via sex or looks, or whatever. Especially if they have a position like Jade Raymond where she was put forth as the public face of a project.

While booth babes may be some minor contributing factor since human psychology is complicated, there's no way to rule it out entirely, beautiful women stand out just as much at cons without booth babes. And men say and do the same things.

22. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:51 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 21:41:
There's a difference between admiration and sexism. If people think you only got your job because of your looks, that's not admiration. Again, see Jade Raymond for an example of how the general gaming populace perceives women. There's a reason why she's stayed out of the spotlight since Assassin's Creed.

Nobody is saying that being an attractive female is a bad thing. What's bad is how these females are treated in the games industry. If you find someone attractive, that's fine, but you shouldn't fixate on their appearance at the expense of everything else, nor should you assume that their sole purpose in life is to look pretty.

You made the assertion that somehow booth babes are partially to blame for this though. When in fact, it's just a matter of standing out. A woman in a predominantly male role is going to draw attention. An attractive one more so.

My first job out of high school was as a receptionist, I can tell you that even as an average looking young guy, I was pretty much a piece of meat when some middle aged woman walked in to the office. They are so used to running into other women in that position, that they were a little surprised to run into a young guy and got a little bit flustered. And I wasn't even a hunk by any stretch of the imagination.

You're going to stand out sometimes in life, and that means unwanted attention. Nothing you can really do about it, and it's stupid to fault people for noticing you, and equally stupid to care what the sheeple think about you or how you got your job.

20. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:33 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 21:29:
If you're a semi-attractive woman, people will automatically assume that your primary role is to serve as eye-candy.

Fixed that for you. Any semi-attractive woman is going to be admired by men. Surrounded by more men? More admiration. Throw a hunky guy in some kind of.. I dunno, what do women go to? Handbag conventions? And it will be the same thing.

It's called sexual attraction, and we shouldn't be trying to shame people for feeling it, or using it to their advantage.

17. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 21:23 NKD

For fucks sake stop quoting botched quote tags!

Sorry. Pet peeve.

9. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 16, 2013, 20:20 NKD

Just put some muscley dudes in banana hammocks or something, that should make it fair, and the only people who might object are people insecure in their sexuality who are ashamed that they got a boner from some dude in a tight outfit.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 16, 2013, 17:10 NKD

Fion wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 16:56:
Called Planetary Annihilation being top 10. Nostalgia can be a potent tool for makin $.

Just imagine where it'd be on this list at a more reasonable price. Probably #1.

News Comments > Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support
32. Re: Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support Jun 16, 2013, 12:36 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 11:45:
It would really kick ass if they could expand it to 4 player Coop, but not sure that's possible without exe editing.

From the description of some of the co-op missions or modes or whatever you want to call them, it doesn't sound like some of them would even work/make sense with more than 2 people. I really wanted more because I know at least 5 or 6 people on my Steam list who will be begging me to play SR4 co-op with them.

News Comments > Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support
29. Re: Volition Blessing Saints Row Mod Support Jun 16, 2013, 05:51 NKD

Graham wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 23:10:
Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:47:
Graham wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:41:
Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 19:05:
ATis cool of them, but seems a little late at this stage of the game doesn't it? Let's face it, visually speaking it's looking a little long in the tooth.

Finding the negative in something uniformly positive? Blue out of ten!

And they didn't do this years ago, why? How is making a salient observation negative. Valve's never had problems doing this stuff from the get-go. Same with other companies. Hell, most of the KS' stuff we're seeing today are coming with editors and mod support from the get-go. I said it was a positive, just a little late in the game for it. Yet, you make it out to be a negative. That's your impression of it, so it says a lot more about you than me.

Chill out, Cutter. I'm just fucking with you. You're way too defensive dude, you should try some video games to blow off some steam.

What's he gonna play? He hates everything. I bet that motherfucker even goes on NMA and talks about how fucking terrible the first Fallout games were.

But seriously, Aug 20 can't get here quickly enough.

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 03:21:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 00:47:
SR4 looks fun but maybe not $50 fun. Based on what's been shown so far, it looks like they are recycling a considerable amount of content from SR3. The game even re-uses Steelport and just makes slight alterations to different areas.

Will wait for reviews.

SR2 was much better than SR1 and completely reused... crap what was the name?
I mean, exact same map. A few new skyscrapers, that was about it.

Stillwater. And yeah a lot of people didn't play SR1, so they forget. No one called SR2 an expansion pack to SR1. Yet no matter how many new features and content they throw at us, SR4 is an expansion pack unworthy of actual retail price because it uses the same city as SR3.

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo