Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3177 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Starbound Beta This Week
7. Re: RE: Follow up Dec 2, 2013, 15:58 NKD

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 10:00:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 08:30:
If only there was the capability to mulithread, cache in memory and perform read-aheads. If only...

Then again, that would imply there was some effort being placed in to actual production value.

This isn't a question of loading a map that already exists. This is more than likely just their way of having a glorified loading screen while new content is being generated.

This is not unexpected and that amount of load time - considering it is a one-time thing for that particular planet/world - is not excessive.

It's also worth noting that your ship can also be upgraded to larger models, decorated with furniture and be used for various things. It's not just sit in a chair and wait for next planet.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Nov 19, 2013, 13:03 NKD

Abandon all hope ye who scroll down beyond this point.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
96. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 15:39 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 15:24:
NKD wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 15:06:
I want some kind of fucking radar. The lack of any kind of combat awareness makes that kind of gameplay abysmal. I don't understand how they neglected so many of the fundamentals that they nailed just fine with the previous games.

Yeah, I can't figure that out either. And I know several guys on the level 5 team (ie, the testers), and I know they will have complained about it.

How can you have a game with space combat and not have a radar??

It's really infuriating. I had a mission to pop some medium sized transport looking thing. It had some fairly nasty turrets but a huge blindspot in the back. So I decided to get on its ass and start blasting away.

Kept getting smoked. Wasn't sure what was going on. Then I saw I was getting nailed by missiles. There was no radar, of course, and no missile warning that I could hear. So I reloaded again and looked over the ship to see if it had missile launchers. Didn't see any (of course theres no way to target subsystems readily.). So I can only assume some other ship was firing them, but how the fuck can I possibly tell?

God, I'm mad just talking about it.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Yes, thats exactly what we need is ANOTHER NEW ******* PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE Nov 16, 2013, 15:25 NKD

DukeFNukem wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 14:59:
We don't have enough programming languages right now. Please, make up a new one so that the ones I have been mastering for the past several years will be obsolete.

This is exactly what we need. Refine and keep improving the old languages? LOL. Bah Humbug. Who wants to do that?

Let's all be like Microsoft and scrap 20 years of perfecting something every 10 years. That way we can slap a ******* "New and Improved" sticker on the box and sell it to retards who actually believe that marketing hype.

Can't wait for a new programming language. I am starting to salivate at the thought.

Oh btw, who the ******** is Stephen Wolfe? Was that his name? Never heard of the guy. He's even less relevant than John Carmack.

The comments around here just reek more and more of crippling mental illness every year.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
93. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 15:06 NKD

I want some kind of fucking radar. The lack of any kind of combat awareness makes that kind of gameplay abysmal. I don't understand how they neglected so many of the fundamentals that they nailed just fine with the previous games.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 16, 2013, 10:22 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 02:28:
Yes, he did charge money to credit cards for charity, all of which was recoverable. But you really think he deserves 10 years? For exposing the lack of security at a security firm and pulling a few pranks? And the point about the banksters is to show the utter lack of consistency in the application of the law.

Of course there's lack of consistency. There are thousands and thousands of people responsible for applying that law, and most of them are granted some discretionary power in how they do it.

Lack of consistency is infuriating, I know. Especially when it gets things bass fucking ackwards. But the last thing we want is for prosecutors and judges to lose all their discretionary powers. A soulless justice system with mandatory prosecutions and mandatory sentencing would be kind of scary.

Yeah, it's going to go wrong sometimes, especially when dealing with powerful people. But powerful people are going to get away with shit no matter WHAT system we have.

We definitely can't go down the road of "Well this guy got off for something he obviously did wrong, so we just have to stop prosecuting and sentencing people out of fairness."

I hate to say it, but the contrast to violent crime doesn't really resonate with me. Yes, rapes and assaults are awful crimes that traumatize a victim. But these type of misguided "hacktivists" can do a lot more damage than any single violent thug. All it takes is for the government to hand out slaps on the wrist to let that happen.

Look, you can't deter a hardened criminal from being a criminal. But some virgin living in his mom's basement? He might be a little less inclined to break the law if he doesn't think he's going to get probation or be hired by Secret Government Agency for his leet hacking skills.

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
71. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 23:15 NKD

Fletch wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 20:13:
Nucas wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:35:
that's because much of the vocal "fan base" is a bunch arrogant motards like you, mouthing off about what is and isn't valid use of the ip and self-importantly vomiting out commentary. you wish you were still playing games on your sega genesis, we get it - the rest of the world has moved on and embraced new ways of building worlds and telling stories.
I have never played consoles, and the only "new way" I see of "building worlds and telling stories" is ass-backwards from where it was headed before consoles and their braindead minions began exerting their will on gaming and game development. It's a hand-holding, "press button, win game" mentality instilled in you ADD-addled Luddites when your mommies plopped you down in front of TVs and threw controllers in your hands rather than bother interacting with you on a human level. When you brats got older, you squalled for the latest, greatest console, and mommy relented and bought it for you because, hey, it always shut you up before. The internet reinforced the errors in your asocial programming and instilled not only a desire to be a douche to countless, faceless voices during Halo, but also the ability to peck out the most inept flames to countless, voiceless nyms without even the smallest urge to screen said "insults" for laughability, much less, punctuation, before sending it out into the ether. Their effectiveness on your peers betrays just how many vapid, soulless, nitwits share your psychosis, but to those of us approaching half a century on this earth, who have been playing PC games since the TRS-80, who actually knew our parents... you're going to have to try harder than that.

You are why Thief for PC is gonna suck.

I'm sure he didn't mean to walk on your lawn.

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 15, 2013, 22:01 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 21:53:

What really rankles me about 10 years is this guy did none of it for personal gain. The banksters defrauded millions of people, and have yet to spend a day behind bars.

Except for the $700,000 he charged up on credit cards he stole. May not have been strictly for "personal gain" but it's still stealing huge amounts of money that wasn't his. This guy is a scumbag and a criminal who just happened to do a couple decent things. He deserves every month he gets. Yeah, the bank scumbags should see prison time, but the fact that they didn't doesn't mean a blank check to hack and steal from an organization that isn't even a bank.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
27. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 12, 2013, 18:50 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 18:28:
Julio wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 05:25:
Xbox720p.

So much win in that name.

Laugh2

Sticking with Xbone.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced
12. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 14:17 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 13:49:
Oh come on now, Tron 2.0 was awesome!

Meh. Mehhhhhhhhhh.

9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 13:45 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:29:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:44:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

That's not really true at all. What shit games have they made? Blood 2 and that LOTR MOBA come to mind. Some might include Gotham City Imposters. How many good games have they made? Blood, Shogo, NOLF, NOLF2, AVP2, FEAR and even FEAR2. They've definitely made more good games than bad.

Condemned, Condemned 2, Gotham City Imposters, Guardians of Middle Earth, Matrix Online, that one crap Tron game, and there was the one with Ice-T. Probably some I'm forgetting. But the shit games were interspersed throughout their life, so I don't think their batting average has changed at all.

2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Announced Nov 12, 2013, 11:44 NKD

ItBurn wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 11:40:
Monolith aren't what they once were...

Monolith has made more shit games than good ones even since the very beginning. Their batting average hasn't changed.

News Comments > Free Saints Row IV DLC
1. Re: Free Saints Row IV DLC Nov 12, 2013, 10:12 NKD

Freebies! Also I got first post before nin.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 12, 2013, 03:02 NKD

How many times have gamers gotten themselves twisted up into a knot over some legalese in a fucking Terms of Use document for no reason?

Idiot gamers who don't have law degrees shouldn't even be reading that shit. They aren't qualified. It's written for lawyers, by lawyers, and is generally full of copy pasta boiler plate shit designed to provide as much ass-coverage as humanly possible.

Yet you have a bunch of unqualified idiots trying to parse them for reasons to get outraged.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2013, 02:31 NKD

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 22:30:
So call in the feds. That's classic wire fraud right there making it a federal felony.

"This guy did a chargeback and didn't return some t-shirts, a picture, and a book he got. Could you please send the FBI."

I don't think the feds are going to be asking Indonesia to hand over some serial chargeback guy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 11, 2013, 17:18 NKD

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 12:54:
Well how fucking smart can these dumb-ass kids be if they're using social media with their real names and information to begin with?

It's not quite that simple anymore. A lack of an identifiable social media presence is sometimes seen as suspicious in and of itself. It's utter bullshit that it is that way, but it's becoming increasingly true.

Admissions departments in schools and HR departments in companies are always looking for new and creative metrics they can use to reject you.

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
20. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 09:34 NKD

Pigeon wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 09:14:
Even Vista was whipped into shape by this point in its development cycle. At this point I'm starting to wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with their base UI that they have a hard time getting things to work that have been working just fine for the lat 20+ years. More likely they're still busy trying to cram a UI better suited for smart phones and tablets onto a PC. I really don't understand their insistence on having this interface on a non-touch screen device. Common sense would say have a touch screen mode and a mouse mode.

There's no incentive for them to do anything because, like Vista, even after it's fixed, people don't know it's been fixed or don't believe people who tell them and ignore the OS anyway. Better to just wait until the next version when they can make a fresh impression.

I don't see much reason for altering the interface anyway. Shit, I've been on Windows 8 for months and months now and I basically never see the Metro bullshit. I use it in the exact same way I used Windows 7. Windows 8 has had a negligible impact on my workflow. And aside from the Metro UI, just about everything in Windows 8 is improved from Windows 7 in the same way Windows 7 improved on Vista. Incremental, but pervasive updates.

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
16. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 03:11 NKD

Ludomancer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 20:27:
DanteUK wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 16:39:
Windows is dying.

Windows is dead and has been for a very long time. Win2k, outside of security problems, was the last version of windows that added anything necessary. Since then it's only been driver support, spyware and unnecessary services, and for some reason those add up to requiring exponentially more RAM and 4GB+ of HDD space to accommodate something that could, and should, exist in a few MB of RAM and used to have <1GB of a footprint. Microsoft has survived on a strategic monopoly since the late 90s. I wish they'd died a lot sooner.

If linux or apple had 100% backward compatibility with the legacy of Windows software, they would easily have claimed the majority of market share by now. I hate Microsoft so much. Despite the wonder of the modern age of computing, I fault them for thousands of hours of lost productivity.

Hahahahahaha.... right.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
25. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 10, 2013, 05:42 NKD

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 04:26:
I really want to know where they get those numbers.
A few months back I checked every server how populated they were and they were rather empty, except 1 or 2 exceptions like Area 52 on horde side (alliance side is completely deserted).

You logged on to every server? There are almost 250 US servers alone. Another 100 for Europe. Then you take into account Horde and Alliance side... and the time it takes to run a proper /who census with a mod. Sorry, I'm calling bullshit. And even then you only get concurrent users, not how many active subscriptions there are.

And that's not even considering China, which I have no fucking clue how they calculate a user there.

News Comments > Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P
5. Re: Shocker: WoW Not Going F2P Nov 9, 2013, 12:33 NKD

Simon Says wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:23:
Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2013, 12:13:
I guess we have very different ideas about what constitutes "frequent", particularly as it applies to when one pays a monthly fee for a service.

Not to mention that "have to rework the game pretty significantly to make it f2p".

There's nothing to rework, remove the price tag, done.

Christ I hope you don't run a business.

3177 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo