Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sky Pirates of Tyria Content Next Week
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sky Pirates of Tyria Content Next Week Jun 22, 2013, 02:51 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 16:05:
Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 15:34:
I was going to say I haven't played in forever I'll have to check it out soon as I clear up the other dozen games on my desktop I've sworn to finish before doing anything else.

That being said, I'm *really* curious to what Everquest Next is all about.

Me too. I beta'd the original EQ many moons ago, and then I was into EQII for all of 4 months before the ridiculous time-gated quests pissed me off enough to drive me away. I wonder if they learned anything, or if EQ NExt is going to feature the same BS.

EQN is reportedly some kind of big sandbox game, rather than another game like EQ1 and EQ2.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Surgeon Simulator 2013 Adds TF2 Characters
1. Re: Surgeon Simulator 2013 Adds TF2 Characters Jun 21, 2013, 23:55 NKD

The TF2 cancer continues to spread.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:13 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:44:
The PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

Creston

One of the benefits of going with a standard PC architecture is that when you do the PS 5 (or XBone 2) in 6-7 years, you can just use the latest/greatest AMD chips and it will be backward compatible.

It's sad that when the last xbox 360 or PS3 dies, all that software will also die. I love being able to play System Shock 2 or Total Annihilation or Master of Magic or Alpha Centauri still, all of which I've played within the last few years.

They could even go with an Intel or Nvidia setup if that was the best move 6 years from now. Going with an x86 console with standard video hardware is an extremely smart move and really gives them no excuse to ditch backwards compatibility in the future.

News Comments > Scrolls in the Black After One Week
9. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 14:57 NKD

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:37:
If I'm making a prototype widget, and I let you buy it, telling you upfront is a prototype only, with the final product to be presented at some future time, it doesn't somehow become a finished product because I accepted payment, nor am I 'tricking' you if I told you upfront that it was only a prototype.

Yeah, the truth is, people are so accustomed to buggy pieces of shit masquerading as finished products, that products that straight out say "I'm buggy! Buy at your own peril!" are a refreshing change of pace. Like you said, there's no trick. It's all out in the open.

News Comments > Whore of the Orient Raises Cash
2. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:03 NKD

200k? Whore of the Orient: Minecraft mod edition.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
28. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 10:56 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 09:25:
It's funny, innit? And then look at Valve and TF2. Not only do they not have to waste money on developing DLC they get other people to do it and pay them for it and make money on that! Funny how Valve never needs to much advertise or do all the things these other guys claim they need to do and still make money hand over fist and generate a ton of goodwill and trust amongst gamers. It just goes to show the difference in companies whose sole motivation is making money versus one doing what they love. You'd think this was rocket surgery or something.

Valve is privately held, self-publishes, and makes all its money off Steam, not off TF2. Not every studio has the luxury of being able to just roll their desks around and do whatever they want and still have the electricity on the next day. People really need to stop pointing at Valve as the example of how to do things, they are an exception and not everyone can have a Steam cash cow basically making it so they'll never need to release a title again.

No, "doing what you love" isn't some magical formula for success. A lot of companies did that and went under. That's why the ones that are left are largely overly greedy assholes.

Valve's in a great position, but the reality of game development is that most companies do need to be concerned about maximizing the amount of money they make from each title. And frankly, it's too late for most of them to turn that around. They have themselves locked in to this DLC rape business model until the bubble bursts.

In the long term, after things hit rock bottom, companies that survive will need to rethink getting themselves into a position where they have to sell 11ty billion copies and 20 billion DLCs just to break even.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 01:36 NKD

CliffyB is right about one thing: More tacked on multiplayer to "justify" online requirements and DLC rape is coming. If they can't get their money by killing used game sales, they'll find it somewhere else.

I've been saying for years that these companies will not just suddenly decide to fire three quarters of their employees, downsize, and start making more reasonably budgeted games. They are going to clamp down and squeeze us for every last fucking drop to cover the ballooning cost of game development. You and I may not pay up, but most of John Q. Fucktards out there will.

Eventually the bottom will fall out, but until that day you can expect things to get worse, not better, because long after you and I have stopped buying in to the Triple-A circlejerk, a lot of other people will still be enabling these companies.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed IV to Follow Consoles
16. Re: PC Assassin's Creed IV to Follow Consoles Jun 20, 2013, 14:45 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 14:13:
Yeah, I'm just concerned that PCs are going to return to red headed stepchild status when things have been coming along pretty decently in the last year or two finally.

Eh, I don't think so. The barrier to entry on porting something is going to be extremely narrow now that the consoles are basically running PC hardware with a healthy amount of RAM.

That's not to say they are going to do it, or even do it right, there are still differences in control schemes and UI design, but the number of excuses about not doing it are actually going to be reduced.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle
1. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 09:40 NKD

It is still on Steam for the time being, but who knows how long that will last.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Nine
8. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Eight Jun 20, 2013, 09:19 NKD

EQN may sound great now, but what will the realities of game development and a reasonable launch time table do to it? I remain skeptical.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 19, 2013, 20:18 NKD

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:15:
Very sad to hear about James. Seemed like a decent guy, and I can't imagine The Sopranos w/o him.

Fucking depressing...

In the words of my old pal JC, "What a shame."

News Comments > Valve Rumor Bonanza
2. Re: Valve Rumor Bonanza Jun 19, 2013, 20:13 NKD

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:10:
"Return to Ravenholm."

Ugh, please no.

Creston

Seconded. Some token scary zombie level shouldn't be the direction of the franchise. We don't need more "survival horror" games.

News Comments > MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks
47. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:37 NKD

Drayth wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:26:
I just keep thinking back to the Angry Joe interview where the guy grabs the mic and says "Really? It's as easy as flipping a switch? Were you on the development team, Joe?".

OMG... he WAS on the development team! :O

To be fair, it might be as easy as flipping a switch for Larry and Don, but the people who actually have to implement all this shit and have no say in the decision making probably now have a lot of crunch time ahead of them. All because these fucktards can't make up their minds. How much? Impossible to say without knowing their development process, but the bitch of development is that it is sometimes harder to remove something than it is to add it.

News Comments > The War Z Name Change
6. Re: The War Z Name Change Jun 19, 2013, 18:24 NKD

This'll work just about as well as Blackwater renaming themselves.  

29. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:54 NKD

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:45:
So, will EA try to go back to online passes now?

Considering they were publishing on PS4 without them, probably not.

1. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 16:58 NKD

Sorry Fuckbox, too little too late.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2013, 14:39 NKD

Still waiting on the transition to flying cars.  

News Comments > Steam Game Sharing Planned?
42. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 14:38 NKD

Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 14:36:
Truth is Valve is the only AAA company doing anything good for gamers these days.

So you haven't purchased any non-Valve games recently?

20. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:49 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:41:
Might also have something to do with more recent EU ruling on game sales/trading that Steam got hit with.

That ruling doesn't actually have anything to do with retailers online or otherwise. It says you have a right to transfer your copy (in the EU), and that developers and publishers have no legal claim to stop it, but doesn't mandate that third parties, like Valve, provide you a mechanism for doing so.

It'll be a cold day in hell before we see unrestricted "used" games sales on Steam. After 3 days, there would be enough "used" licenses in circulation to keep people from ever buying new. I mean who the hell is going to add a game to their Steam list for $50 when they can add it for $20-30.

14. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 10:21 NKD

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:15:
NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 10:08:
Xbone announced game sharing at E3.
Did you also see the restrictions that comes with it?
That's more like no sharing

And like I said, there are probably going to be a lot of restrictions on the Steam version as well. The odds of this being a free-for-all are slim to none.

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo