Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3177 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
21. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 16:15 NKD

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 14:39:
Uh, iMax has been doing fine for decades. Their screens are curved.

Yes, but are they "better"?

3D is awesome when it is done right. Avatar, The Hobbit, Tin Tin, Wreck It Ralph - All done in native 3D, all look great in the theater and on my 55" LG.

Until I can watch a 3D movie without looking like a retarded Robocop with those goofy glasses I don't give a rodent's rectum about 3D movies.

Dunno where you're watching your movies, but at the theater I go to they basically just look like a cheap pair of sunglasses.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
11. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 7, 2014, 16:29 NKD

How would reselling "used" digital licenses work anyway? I don't really see that being a very profitable business model unless someone is taking a nice healthy cut.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials - WoW at 7.8M Subscribers Feb 6, 2014, 18:49 NKD

Not surprised to see a slight uptick in subscribers. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who largely skipped Pandaria that have resubbed to check out the how the story wraps up in Siege of Orgrimmar, or level new toons to play a different character as main in WoD. They'll get a bigger boost when they ship Warlords. (Rumor has it, this summer.)  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $38M
26. Re: Star Citizen Passes $38M Feb 6, 2014, 03:55 NKD

Tom wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:20:
Another Star Citizen post, another raft of BN regulars pissing all over it. *yawn*

I've come to hope the game is successful JUST to prove you guys wrong.

No one on this site ever admits being wrong. Blue's regulars are Masters of mental gymnastics capable of twisting anything they've said in the past into being technically correct, the best kind of correct.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 4, 2014, 12:23 NKD

Rigs wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 11:39:

Holy shit, nin, we touch a nerve or something?

I have to raise my hand on the 'no one uses Win7/x86' thing, though. I absolutely do use it, and often. Some of my systems here at home don't have over 4gb of RAM and really are just upgraded from XP recently anyway. Plus, while the system may have newer parts inside, the peripherals that are hooked to it are older (printers, scanners, webcams) and as such, I can't find x64 drivers for some of them. In addition, some apps and games that the family uses (who aren't 'hardcore') have troubles with Win7/x64 that I'd rather not have to deal with, so it's easier to install 32-bit Win7 when upgrading them from XP (after prying said OS out of their unwilling hands)...

=-Rigs-=

What the fuck? I wasn't even aware it was possible to write a driver for the new Vista/7 driver model that didn't work with x64... I was under the impression it was unified. I've never had to work on drivers though so maybe I'm just being ignorant.

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:22:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 12:05:

What the horse shit? 3Mbit? Rofl, I haven't been keeping up to date on EQN news... that pretty much makes this game unplayable for me(and most people in the US?) because of ISP monthly bandwidth caps.

Sigh, oh well. It's probably not going to be anything special anyway. *Sour Grapes*

Err what? 3Mbit is probably just an upper requirement for initial loads, I highly doubt it's actively streaming at that rate the entire time.

If it's anything like Minecraft, then you'll be chugging bandwidth while you load new areas and explore, but just standing around on your claim of land or mining you won't be using a lot. The 3Mbit is probably what they think you'll need to avoid traveling faster than your PC can load new terrain.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS
12. Re: EverQuest Next Requires 64-bit OS Feb 4, 2014, 10:45 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 10:07:
I wonder how much they'll trim off the requirements to play this game as Alpha and Beta are introduced. Otherwise, they've already severed a fair portion of the gaming community with fairly steep specs so this is just another step in that direction.

I mean, even if you have the machine to run this game well, it still has a 10Mbps 'minimum' requirement tagged on which means folks like me would have to upgrade their internet service if it remains unchanged.

...yeah, I have a 7Mbps connection...

They've got it down to a 3Mbit minimum so far. The issue is that since the terrain is made of voxels and it's a large seamless world, they can't store static meshes of the world on your hard drive. It's like Minecraft in that you're streaming the terrain data to your system on the fly.

As for the 64-bit requirement. Dealing with a voxel world that's got significantly more voxel density than something like Minecraft just makes for a lot of data. You need the extra memory. They couldn't make the game 32-bit compatible because it would mean sacrificing the very scale of the world.

There was a post, I can't find it now, about how switching some database stuff to 64-bit was an enormous performance boost, and solved a lot of crashin.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 31, 2014, 12:47 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 12:21:
This game looks so horrible.

The kickstarter video where they mention it's group based like 1000 times in the span of 12 minutes. Yeah, we get it, you're remaking EQ. Have fun with that.

Their Kickstarter hasn't had much success either. According to Kicktraq it looks like even on the generous side of the projection, they come up short of their goal rather significantly.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jan 26, 2014, 20:15 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:09:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:41:
And so much for EQ Next. You'd think those idiots would have learned from the failure that's DCUO. MMOs do not belong on consoles. I don't some shitty control scheme because it has to be designed for console controllers. Pass.

You are aware that they can still use mice and keyboards on the PS4, right?

He's also forgetting EverQuest Online Adventures, the EverQuest console MMO. That game despite being a very niche title had a successful 8 year run. There's no reason you can't make a successful console port of an MMO these days. No, it'll never be as big as the PC version, since the MMO audience on consoles is small, but it may still be worth doing. Especially considering how easy it is to port a PC game to PS4.

News Comments > SOE Boss: Next Game "Dedicated" to Star Wars Galaxies Fans
17. Re: SOE Boss: Next Game Jan 26, 2014, 20:08 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 19:50:
Cutter wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 18:26:
So it's a Wow Clone like EQ Next in space. In fact it'll probably just be EQ Next reskinned and slightly retooled.
Don't you know anything? If he is appealing to SWG fans it most certainly can't be a Wow clone. Do you even know the differences between those two games? One is a classic theme park the other a classic sandbox. Like night and day.

Cutter is just trolling. Every article where EQNext is mentioned he posts "something something WoW Clone" even though they are making a sandbox title. That's not to say it'll be any good, but it certainly won't be a WoW clone.

6. Re: TimeLines: Assault On America Preorders Jan 26, 2014, 12:37 NKD

Klaus Flouride wrote on Jan 26, 2014, 12:20:
Another failure in the making. When are they going to learn that ANY game in that universe is cursed to failure?

What universe?

1. Re: SOE Boss: Next Game Jan 26, 2014, 11:19 NKD

That's interesting, considering that EQNext is going for a sandbox design, it seems odd that they'd have yet another sandbox game in the works. Doesn't that kind of step on their own toes?  

News Comments > EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements
11. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 25, 2014, 02:30 NKD

Veterator wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 01:11:
I'd love to try it out, but I refuse to pay for what essential is building potential content for their future game and testing their engine for them.

Supposedly they are going to monetize it so people can buy your pre-built assets to use in their structures...so I guess it would be beneficial to people looking to try to make money that way. I don't see how they are going to stop people from making the same or near same arrangement of stuff and just making it cheaper.

Firstly, it's a free to play. You don't have to pay anything.

Secondly, competition is probably a good thing. I don't think it would be a fun environment if people were constantly trying to shut other builders down because they thought their shit was too similar.

10. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 25, 2014, 02:28 NKD

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 00:59:
NKD wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 00:13:
It has nothing to do with EQ Next...

Except, you know, most of the terrain and structure assets.

Actually Landmark will have assets that don't fit the Norrath setting. Including modern, sci-fi, etc. They don't intend to restrict people only to fantasy building. The game doesn't take place in Norrath.

7. Re: EQN Landmark Alpha System Requirements Jan 25, 2014, 00:13 NKD

Paranoid Jack wrote on Jan 25, 2014, 00:06:
Even after watching a few videos I am confused. Seems like an MMO meets Minecraft meets test our future product with us type game?

Landmark is basically MMO Minecraft using the same engine as EQ Next. Really it shouldn't even have EverQuest in the name, or Next. It should just be called Landmark.

It has nothing to do with EQ Next with the exception of potentially being able to import certain things you create later on, and also running contests to design some stuff for EQ Next.

It's not an RPG, and won't even have combat at launch. If you don't like building, you can safely ignore Landmark and just wait for EQNext a couple years down the road.

News Comments > SOE Closing Four MMOGs
6. Re: SOE Closing Four MMOGs Jan 24, 2014, 20:07 NKD

Stimpack wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 19:19:
Also, like all deceased MMOs, they should release the code to the public. Whether it be made open source or available for purchase.

Not possible. These companies use a lot of licensed third party code that they don't have any rights to release. They could prune out anything that uses it, but then massive parts of the codebase would be missing.

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 19:48:
They are very mediocre games. You can bet not many were playing them.

A good business decision. Wizardry was terrible. Vanguard was probably the best of the lot, and it had a very poorly written engine that SOE never did understand. They really could not do much to it.

Yeah McQuaid dumped a stinker on SOE with Vanguard. I'm betting Smedley regrets ever picking it up.

The other titles were kind of experimental. Wizardry was created by another studio and SOE sort of imported it to run American servers, where it never really caught on. Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures were designed for kids. According to Smedley they aren't going to be doing any more kids games. Basically he said that kids don't spend money and it's too hard to police their shitty behavior to the point where it's a fun environment for kids. There's also the issue of your player base literally aging out of your game and being left with a ghost town.

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics
5. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Jan 21, 2014, 07:18 NKD

*enters bathroom, faces mirror, and turns off lights*

Derek Smart
Derek Smart
Derek Smart

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
11. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 NKD

WoW isn't a brand new MMO. Most older players have leveled a bunch of characters. There is little reason to force them to do so again. New players are often just trying to get to the "real" game that you need to be level capped for.

One common argument I see is that it robs players of a chance to learn how to play their class as they level. That's bullshit however as the stuff you do while leveling gives you basically zero preparation for the game at max level. Talent choices, ability use, preferred glyphs all change. Not to mention that even group content while leveling provides zero introduction to even the most basic of raid boss fights on the lowest of difficulties.

In short, it's just a mandatory grind through old content that has jack shit to do with what the game asks of you at level cap. When an MMO gets to a certain age it has to focus on what it does best, and it needs to focus on removing barriers to getting players into that part of the game.

Offering people the chance to buy extra level 90 characters is a good way to remove that barrier. And this is coming from someone who already has a level 90 of every class that I earned the old fashioned way.

The idea of someone being able to just buy a level 90 doesn't bother me in the slightest.

News Comments > Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Announcement & Kickstarter
5. Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Announcement & Kickstarter Jan 13, 2014, 18:46 NKD

I wouldn't give this guy a cent. No proven record. He's only ever been involved in two titles. EverQuest was the first game of its scale and scope and quite frankly looking back on it, there wasn't much there. The gameplay was very limited for design and technical reasons. (Had to keep packet throughput low for dialup players, for one.) So it doesn't really prove that the guy had some idea of what he was doing.

Vanguard of course was a disaster. Rumors of drug abuse and failure to even be involved during the last 6 months of development. Who knows whether that shit is true or not, but Vanguard itself was a mess of random ideas.

Sorry, but I'll take the wait and see approach on this one.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2013, 18:27 NKD

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 16:19:
PHJF wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 16:01:
He meant not having a Facebook page looks weird to potential employers.

No it really doesn't.

Sadly, it does. The latest trend in HR departments is to extensively scour the Internet for your online presence and look for anything that might stand out as being bad.

If they don't find one, they don't assume you don't have one, they just assume you're hiding it behind a lot of privacy settings, and they don't like that.

That's not every HR department, of course. But it's a growing trend and is especially true in technology or professional positions.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 7, 2013, 02:54 NKD

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 01:24:
Says the same guys that fucked over a nation for the sake of a buck.

I thought that was EA.

3177 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo