Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3477 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
22. Re: Into the Black Oct 27, 2014, 23:06 NKD

Shut up and take my money.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 22:55 NKD

UHD wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 19:46:
So what was so different this time that the past thirty years of game journalism paled in comparison? Why now?

Why does anything happen when it does? Eventually there's a combination of events that knocks people out of their complacency.

1) Wider knowledge of GameJournoPros mailing list where evidently some shady, and potentially illegal stuff has been going on.

2) Minor conflict-of-interest situation (the Zoe Quinn crap) popped up to kind of light a spark under what was going on.

3) Game news sites coordinated to post several stories attacking gamer culture on the same day, effectively biting the hand that feeds them.

4) Subsequent coverage of the situation by games news sites were one-sided, covered in inaccuracy and smearing. This is on-going and games journalists are digging the hole deeper and deeper.

For me, its been a long time coming. Gaming is a big industry now, and deserves a decent set of journalists covering it. Not a bunch of idiots who want the respect of a serious journalist, but the responsibility of a blogger.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 27, 2014, 14:03 NKD

WaltC wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 13:29:
Kickstarter should realize it is in their best interests all around to require *bonds* of some kind, equivalent to the amount of money to be released into the projects *before* they issue the money. The bond should hold until the project successfully completes, and in the event that it does not, Kickstarter would be able to refund the money. In this way they could indemnify all projects against fraud. If the individuals related to a project cannot obtain such a bond then they cannot apply for a Kickstarter project, etc. Seems like common sense.

Kickstarter might even help such people obtain an adequate bond, etc., if they are sufficiently qualified. It would do nothing except dramatically help the entire situation if Kickstarter invests in fraud indemnification. Just telling people, "You could lose your money" will progressively get old as it simply isn't fair for Kickstarter to keep its money while project backers are getting scammed.

No bond, no Kickstarter, should be the company's motto.

You talk about "fraud" and "scamming" but that's actually fairly uncommon. The real risk in Kickstarter is that people will put a good faith effort into shipping a product, and still fail. The whole point of Kickstarter is to help risky projects which have struggled to find traditional funding. Everyone who backs a Kickstarter should know that it's not guaranteed. If they don't, then Kickstarter is not for them. Introducing a bunch of additional barriers to entry like this 'bond' business (legally problematic to the point where Kickstarter couldn't function, by the way.) would be the final nail in the coffin for Kickstarter and people would simply flock to a platform that didn't have such silly requirements.

I really don't know why some people seem to have a problem with a platform that lets the consumer decide what projects are worthwhile and which are not. As long as people know what they are getting into, there is no problem.

News Comments > etc.
43. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 12:16 NKD

Why am I not surprised that Beamer completely ignored my post pointing out that he was misrepresenting that subreddit?

Ah well, I give up. Kid's going on the block list. Even Cutter isn't on there.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2014, 12:23.

News Comments > etc.
36. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2014, 06:20 NKD

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 05:58:
Trying to kill advertising for websites that write things you don't like or trying to get writers fired for having opinions (or making jokes) you don't like doesn't strike me as particularly ethical behavior.

It's the only way sites will listen and implement standards and transparency. You have to hit them where it hurts. Since they do not sell subscriptions, and do not sell products, you cannot simply organize a boycott. You have to convince the advertisers that doing business with them isn't worth the hassle.

Gawker has itself in the past wrote about, supported, and encouraged campaigns to advertisers of people they disagree with philosophically and politically. I don't see how they can possibly complain when it's a tactic they themselves have used. Feminists and other social activists have ROUTINELY used this strategy to take down people who disagree with them. Gawker is the prototypical bully. It lashes out at people it disagrees with, using its influence to make their lives difficult. But when someone uses the same tactics against them, they burst into tears and play the victim. It's so textbook it's almost sad.

Write-in campaigns to advertisers is a tried and true media protest strategy that has been used for decades, particularly by progressive or liberal causes. To see people who have used that same strategy turn around it and condemn it as unethical is really bizarre.

News Comments > etc.
30. Re: etc. Oct 26, 2014, 21:58 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 21:05:
As I linked to yesterday, the word count on that forum had over 2000 hits for "feminist" and not even 600 for "ethics."

Not about ethics.

I took a look through that subreddit.

99% of it is very reasonable stuff, and it's almost entirely about gaming journalism or Gawker's various misdeeds. It does not appear to be a place to coordinate death threats. On the contrary, there are a few threads here about GamerGate Harassment Patrol, which reports anyone using the GamerGate tag to send harassing tweets.

Let's see what else is on the front page. Raising $6500 for Extra Life. Some threads pointing out hypocrisy: Anti-GG being fired for inappropriate sexual behavior, Gawker slut-shaming a woman while accusing their opponents of being misogynists. Mostly stuff regarding their campaign to remove Gawker's advertisers.

What I'm not finding, however, are very many posts about how much these people hate women. I'm not finding any posts where women are being doxxed. I'm not finding any coordinated campaigns of harassment. As far as I can tell, your assessment of the subreddit as some kind of den of misogyny and hate is unfounded.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
54. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 26, 2014, 09:53 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 26, 2014, 08:18:
Hmm, thread only made it to mid-fifties. Could we be on the downward slide? Might we have reached, PEAK GAMERGATE???

Well you can only go in circles with the same 5 people for so long. It's not like any of these articles bring any actual news. It's the same stupid "discussion" over and over and over and over...

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 25, 2014, 20:29 NKD

Go into one of the GamerGate/Star Citizen/whatever threads on Blue's. Video games accelerate mental decline.  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo
2. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Demo Oct 24, 2014, 20:27 NKD

Demos? What year is it?  

News Comments > World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned
3. Re: World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 11:41:
Even with a datacenter in Australia, wouldn't there still be latency issues when using anything cross-realm with US servers since they're not being region locked much in the same way the EU and US server?

Is the information only going as far as the Aussie server? Wouldn't there still need to be some data between the Aussie and US server? Should I buy a book about networking?

From the sounds of it, some cross-realm PvE stuff will have additional latency. I don't see how it couldn't, since there is data flowing between the US and Aus servers. But whether that latency is for the Aus players or the US players, I don't know how that's determined.

For PvP stuff it looks like it'll prefer to stick you with your own people unless it can't find any.

News Comments > etc., etc.
88. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 11:51 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 10:37:
Because absolutely no one really cares about that aspect,

I do. And a lot of other people do from what I've seen. You forget that this whole thing started over worries about conflict of interest in game reviews. It's long since been derailed, but that's the subject a lot of us were hoping we'd get back to. The bottom line is that if the conflict of interest was a non-sexual relation, like a blood relative or a business partner, the conversation would never have been derailed and we could have had a discussion about transparency when it comes to potential conflicts of interest.

It's odd, because I remember a time when Blue's News commenters were eager to point out funny business when it came to reviews and game coverage. I remember a time when we lamented the crapping-up of our hobby by "casuals" and "console gamers".

Now no one can even be fucked to post anything unless it's about the latest social media hipster bullshit.

News Comments > World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned
1. Re: World of Warcraft AU Servers Planned Oct 24, 2014, 09:49 NKD

It's funny how long it took to make this happen. Australia is ridiculously unfriendly when it comes to datacenters. Fucking Telstra.  

73. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 07:23 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 06:51:
#GG is still relevant as long as there is rampant corruption in game journalism.

How many of the articles linked to under the umbrella of GamerGate here are about game journalism, or even about games? I'm all for talking about corruption in game journalism.

But we don't seem to be getting articles about it, or discussions about it.

70. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 06:41 NKD

Let's roll things back a bit and take this step by step. Harassment is wrong. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Now what? We have something that we all agree is wrong. What's the next logical step? I haven't seen anyone put forth a potential solution to make people stop being assholes on the Internet. So, what do you do when you have a problem that cannot be solved? You work around it. You do your best to at least not make it worse.

Alright, so as we've seen from all the chaos and anger and bitterness, whatever we're doing now is making it worse. We give attention to the assholes. We let them sour the conversation. The discussion isn't even about games, or women, or feminism anymore. We're literally talking about the people who derailed the conversation in the first place. The jerks and harassers have made the conversation about them. That's exactly what they want.

So, harassment is bad. Oh look, we all agree that you shouldn't be harassing people. Debate over. Let's talk about something else.

Frankly, Blue is doing a disservice to our little community by continuing to link to GamerGate articles. It fosters toxicity and bitterness and never results in any kind of on-topic or productive discussion, just the same 3 people sniping at each other over, and over, and over, and over. There are good reasons the mainstream gaming subs on reddit have chosen to just blackout the entire clusterfuck: It's no longer about games. It's off-topic.

Aren't you guys sick of it? Am I alone in this?

News Comments > Evening Interviews
17. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 06:19 NKD

InBlack wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 06:09:
You are both missing the point. The point is responsibility. A CEO sets policy and strategy. He doesnt as you say get involved in the 'fine details' of the day to day business but he is the one who dictates what the company should focus on and how, and ultimatively this work ethic is filtered down through the ranks.

Okay. So what's the point we're missing? I don't debate that the CEO takes responsibility for the general direction of a company. In fact I said as much.

He claims because Riccitiello had what he considers a consumer-unfriendly strategy for running EA, that somehow he's going to try crowbarring a completely incompatible business strategy into a very different company. I claim that because he's run diverse companies in the past, there's not much reason to suspect he can't continue to do so in the future.

Am I wrong? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at exactly.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
15. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 04:42 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 02:55:

1. EA won "Worst Company in the World" under Ricci's leadership. TWICE. He set the culture there of treating customers like shit in order to maximize profits. Let's see how that works out for Unity. Game players will put up with shit when they've only got to pay $50. When dev houses are paying $10000s for an engine, they'll look elsewhere if you try and screw them. Lots of companies are now doing the "free" or low-cost game engine thing, like Unreal. There's no room to fuck with devs, who also happen to be among the more intelligent consumers. You say it's apples and oranges, but so far all I've ever seen Ricci cook was apple pie. Can't make that with oranges.

2. I'm sure he had lots of discussions about game engines, their capabilities, their cost, etc. etc. while at EA. His experience there is much more relevant than at Sara Lee.

See this is exactly the kind of shallow reasoning that I'm referring to when I say gamers don't know fuck all about what a CEO actually does. First off, the CEO of EA probably does not make decisions about game engines. It would be incredibly unusual for a CEO of a company that size getting involved in that kind of minutiae. Even when they look to buy out a company to get their tech, that's an idea that generally comes from other C-level execs and they rely heavily on the technical knowledge of those below them to come to the decision.

But more to the point, what works for EA won't necessarily work for Unity. They are very different companies with very different business models. They are not a consumer-facing company for the most part. The only thing consumers know about Unity is what other developers do with it. You seem to be under the impression that John Riccitiello is literally some kind of retarded automaton who doesn't have the ability, despite his extensive business education, to understand that the best approaches for two different companies are as different as the companies themselves.

We're talking about a guy who has been CEO of a company that makes jock straps, a company that makes cakes, and a company that makes games. I'm pretty sure he's got a fairly diverse perspective.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 04:48.

62. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 02:55 NKD

beremot wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 01:08:
This guy can write something as bat shit fucking CRAZY as this, and only ONE person here is willing to straight up call him out on it? Really?

No offense guy, but Mad Monkey has been throwing that feces around for YEARS on here. This is nothing new. That's why we don't tend to call him out on it. He's a full-on right wing nutjob and can link literally everything wrong in the world with some vast conspiracy to take away his guns and force him to have mandatory gay atheist abortions.

Arguing with tinfoil hatters is a losing proposition. You have to use reality, they don't.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2014, 22:51 NKD

Map seems inaccurate. Patriots area is bigger than downtown Boston? Bullshit.  

30. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:38 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 22:15:

Look, Max, if your movement is no longer the movement you joined, you need to wake up and realize it's time to leave and/or make a new movement.

And what prevents those same few assholes from ruining the next one, and the next one, and the next one? What you're saying here is that you can never have a movement to do anything, because every movement has extreme stupid outliers.

Contrary to popular belief around here, it's not the responsibility of a movement to get rid of those outliers. There's nothing an open movement can do about it. Anyone can claim to be a member of anything. It's the responsibility of everyone else to realize this, and not stoop to the intellectually dishonest attitude of pretending they represent the whole. Some feminists believe all penis in vagina sex is inherently rape and victimizes and marginalizes women by its very nature. Some Muslims believe it's okay to explode the fuck out of you. Some students believe it's okay to cheat on their tests. Some husbands believe it's okay to cheat on their wives.

No matter how you slice the population up. Groups you were born into, groups you chose to join. Casual groups, serious groups. Religious groups, political groups. They all have loudmouth extremists, trolls, and general assholes. It's up to us to not let them sidetrack the conversation. Sadly it's too late for that for this GamerGate thing. There will always be assholes, they cannot be prevented. What we CAN prevent is using those assholes as cheap ammunition to support our point of view.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 22:45.

News Comments > NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+
7. Re: NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+ Oct 23, 2014, 21:21 NKD

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 20:45:
I am going to bet that EQ Next learns a HUGE lesson here, and doesnt make their next title nearly as exclusive to people.

EQ Next has been marketed as a fairly accessible player-driven sandbox title from it's announcement. As far as we know, it has basically zero focus on the traditional style of content. It's already the polar opposite of Wildstar.

Wildstar could have carved out a niche for itself as a raiding game, but they decided to gate their raids behind a lot of stupidity. There was an enormous brick wall at the end. A huge difficulty spike going from Adventures to Dungeons. Not to mention the timesink attunement process that was far more frustrating than anything WoW ever had.

People crave that difficult content, but they don't have 16 hours a day to play. Get rid of the grinds, keep the difficulty tuning. But it's too late for Wildstar at this point.

3477 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo