Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3699 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 4, 2015, 14:38 NKD

Why would you give a cent to anything called Grifta?  

Every time you preorder a game, you become part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced
3. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Announced Mar 4, 2015, 14:23 NKD

Hell yes. W:TNO was fucking excellent IMO.  

Every time you preorder a game, you become part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 13:46 NKD

Darks wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:04:
Once he lands, grab him and toss him in the deepest darkest pit and throw away the key.

God you're fucking disgusting.

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
43. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 08:34 NKD

Kajetan wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 08:30:
NKD wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 08:17:
That is what SOME people want.
Its what HL fans want. And Valve, being no publicly traded publisher, does not have to please its investors. They can afford to NOT maximize their profit. They "only" make very good money.

Just look at Counterstrike GO. Only a small refinement of the classic and it rocks in terms of sales and play time. Because it is what people want from a game named Counterstrike.

Why haven't they done it then if it's so easy? A small refinement doesn't take 11 years.

41. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 08:17 NKD

Kajetan wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 07:13:
THAT is what people want from HL 3. Not something new, just a continuation of the story with the already established gameplay mechanics. Nothing against refining those mechanics, but something different? Why? There is no need for an open world/sandbox-HL3. It is Half-Life. Not a new franchise aimed at people who know only sandbox games.

That is what SOME people want. Valve has a lot of money, but even they don't want to ship a title that is going to get absolutely skewered by reviewers and get them accused of pulling a Duke Nukem Forever where you wait a million years and then release a carbon copy of the old game with a graphical upgrade and everyone shits on it for not innovating enough.

If you want a big budget Half Life 3, it has to sell to more than hardcore Half Life fans from way back. And Valve probably isn't looking to ship anything less than a big budget triple A title after this many years.

If they were going to shovel out a Half Life 3 that was just a conclusion to HL2, they would have done it years ago don't you think?

35. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 06:51 NKD

1badmf wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 06:03:
NKD wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 20:01:
Of course they released another "2" because they can't count to 3.

bahahahahah that joke's been long looooong overdue i feel; its truth is kinda scary. they really can't release part 3 of anything.

I just don't think Valve has any good creative minds left. Creating some multiplayer games that are basically refinements on existing titles is one thing. It's all number crunching and balance and a decent enough art style that people can look at it for hours. But there's no real creative depth there. It's about letting other players be the content rather than creating content. It's all game mechanics. Game mechanics can be iterated on and patched after release without too much impact. You can't fix your story after release.

Even their most recent single player effort, Portal, is effectively a puzzle game concept they bought from someone else, and Portal 2 is again just more refinement on an existing idea. Thinnest facade of a story on top.

Half Life is probably causing them a lot of headaches. They know people want it, but what can they really do? The narrative structure hasn't aged well. You've got a silent protagonist wandering around occasionally getting tidbits of story from secondary characters that dip in and out of your mostly lonely journey. You make no choices about how to move forward. You just linearly plow through enemies until the next story drop. It was fine at the time because the quality and execution were great but that's basically the most tired FPS story trope there is at this point. It wont cut it in 2015, let alone 2016, or 2017. Not if you want something better than a mediocre game.

But how do they reconcile a new Half Life with the old one? I don't see them having much success with a circa 2004 shooter with a linear story handcuffed to a nearly 20 year old plot and a graphics upgrade.

Tough choices to be sure.

News Comments > Syndicate Free on Origin
6. Re: Syndicate Free on Origin Mar 4, 2015, 05:56 NKD

Blahman wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 22:19:

Check out Satellite Reign: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/

Modern spiritual successor to Syndicate.

How have I never heard of this. They ran a Kickstarter in 2013? Missed out on backing this one. Fuck. Ah well, I can check it out now I guess.

News Comments > Mad Max in September
15. Re: Mad Max in September Mar 4, 2015, 03:17 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 00:19:
NKD wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 21:13:
I always wanted a game that spouted bullshit neocon propaganda.

Oh, wait, this is something else.

Are you ever happy? I mean really, deep down, are you happy?

Not really, why?

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Mar 4, 2015, 02:25 NKD

If it wasn't for anti-vaxxers putting other people at risk, I'd say let natural selection sort them out.  

News Comments > Mad Max in September
8. removed Mar 3, 2015, 21:13 NKD

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 4, 2015, 07:18.

5. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 3, 2015, 20:01 NKD

Of course they released another "2" because they can't count to 3.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2015, 19:32 NKD

Julio wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 05:53:
Clearly nothing could be abused or wrong from everyone's DNA being available. I'm seeing a "clone, indoctrinate and replace" program on it's way...

What's the point when it's just as easy to indoctrinate the original?

News Comments > Alien: Isolation The Trigger Released
9. Re: Alien: Isolation The Trigger Released Mar 3, 2015, 18:27 NKD

Stop you're triggering me.  

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
30. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 3, 2015, 08:26 NKD

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 08:06:
MMO's love gold sellers, they inflate the economy, which leads to average joe players with a choice, grind more, or pay up, if they want to keep up with the Whales and no-lifers.

This anti-goldseller thing is just a front.

This is just a cash grab plain and simple.

F2P gets closer and closer.

Yeah I'm sure WoW is hurting for money dude. This genius plan to sell people time tokens even though each one means a lost monthly fee is fucking diabolical. I don't know how Blizzard's staff can sleep at night with that level of greed.

Also how many years have you been predicting that F2P is right around the corner?

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2015, 04:35 NKD

Slick wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 03:29:

And NKD, i understand the larger point about gamergate, but seriously, Mark Kern is a well-known fuckwit. his involvement just makes any real point that GG is trying to make fall on it's sword.

All I'm saying is that I don't really think Mark Kern makes a damn bit of difference at this point. Gamergate has been demonized everywhere from Twitter to primetime television as a bunch of misogynists, rapists and kidnappers. I don't think Kern, even for people who buy into the 'He's a jerk' narrative, is going to change anyones mind either direction.

The concept of ethics in gaming journalism has been permanently poisoned. You can no longer talk about it, it's a forbidden topic literally anywhere that matters. Even if Mark Kern is a jerkwad, it's a good example of what will happen to ANY game developer who says anything about ethics.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Mar 3, 2015, 00:57 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 00:45:
NKD wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:49:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:21:
This is one of the people you want to be the public face of Gamergate?

So he's not a very solid businessman. Last I checked Gamergate isn't about wise spending of game budget.

It's not just budget issues. He also throws tantrums, throws objects, and summarily fires people. Regardless if GG is "leaderless" he's a high profile dev, and his name will be associated with the movement, for better or worse. Based on recent history, the latter seems more likely.

Says who? Bitter ex-employees?

What does it really matter anyway? Gamergate is already literally portrayed by its opposition as a terrorist organization trying to do Sarin gas attacks on PAX. (Actual quote from Anita Sarkeesian's friend Brianna Wu) A dev who allegedly acts like a bit of an ass is going to tarnish Gamergates good name?

EDIT: At this point it's the other way around. Anyone who tries to talk about gaming journalism ethics is basically shut down immediately and painted with the Gamergate brush. You even mention ethics and you're a fucking terrorist and go on like five Twitter block-lists. If you're high profile at all, you'll also trigger hit pieces from places like Polygon and VG247. You don't have to say or do anything even remotely controversial. Just call for ethics in journalism and you're fucking finished in terms of the mainstream games media.

I really wish I was exaggerating.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2015, 01:26.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 20:49 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 20:21:
This is one of the people you want to be the public face of Gamergate?

So he's not a very solid businessman. Last I checked Gamergate isn't about wise spending of game budget.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2015, 19:54 NKD

Bring back Paul Reiser, that's truly what we all want, right?  

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
12. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 17:40 NKD

Some people haven't read the details so let me put a clarification:

Unlike the approach used in other games, Blizzard sets the price for these things according to their FAQ. There will be no free market with regards to how much gold you can get for one of these.

Q: How much gold will I receive when I sell a WoW Token?
A: The gold value of a Token will be determined dynamically based on supply and demand. When you put a Token up for sale, you’ll be quoted the amount of gold you’ll receive upon a successful sale. If you then decide to place the Token up for sale, that amount is locked in, and the gold will be sent to your mailbox after another player purchases your Token.

Q: Why can’t players set their own prices for the WoW Token?
A: The WoW Token feature is designed to facilitate the exchange of gold and game time between players in as secure, convenient, and fair a way as possible, and without making players feel like they’re playing a game with their hard-earned money. Having a set current market price and a straightforward exchange system is the best way to achieve that—you don’t need to worry about whether your Token will sell or not due to being undercut or the market shifting, and everyone receives exactly the amount of gold they were quoted.

Q: What happens if the price quoted to me is different from what the Token actually sells for?
A: You will always receive the gold amount quoted to you at the time you place a Token up for sale, regardless of what the current price is when the item actually sells.

So, interestingly, it's not even synchronous. You could pay more gold than the other person receives, or the other way round.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
7. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 10:42 NKD

So hyped for this. After I had my protein shake and savagely beat my girlfriend this morning I saw this news and was psyched as hell so I had another protein shake and beat the GF again. #justbrothings #gethype  

3699 Comments. 185 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo