Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3564 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 15:50 NKD

beremot wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:30:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

That agenda would be ... what? Tying misogyny online to misogyny in the real world? Tying misogyny online to the way some men abuse women in the real world? Like there could be no actual connection between those things?

I think what he takes exception to, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is the same thing I take exception to. That is, comparing bullshit anonymous online trolling to the very real threat of domestic violence. Many of us have family members who had to live in terror of an abusive husband or boyfriend and couldn't just avoid them by not opening up Twitter. Family members who had to endure physical abuse weekly or even daily. Thankfully, I personally haven't lost a family member to domestic violence. But both my grandmother and aunt have dealt with it. My grandmother was married to an abusive man from the time she was in her 30s until the day she died of cancer in her late 60s. He only OCCASIONALLY beat and raped her, and calmed down a bit as he got older. Many women have it even worse. Her biggest regret was never leaving him and that this abusive asshole was going to out live her.

You think someones online Twitter threats are real, and scary? How about 30 years of living with the person sending those threats? How about like the woman in the story who probably knew, with certainty, that the very person she lived with was violent enough to kill, but was too scared to leave?

Misogyny? The real misogyny is thinking that because you possess a vagina and have mean things said to you online that you can somehow understand what the real domestic abuse and real fear are like. Brianna Wu is a rich trust fund kid who has no understanding of what it's like to feel trapped because you're financially dependent on someone who beats the fuck out of you, or forces you to have sex with them.

I believe these things DO stem from the same misogynistic attitudes, but that's an academic argument that ignores the huge practical differences, and is a discussion not suited to Twitter where 140 characters just makes you look like you're trying to claim your own little problems are somehow comparable in severity and scope.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer Nov 6, 2014, 11:27 NKD

Arno's ginger girlfriend is a morsel.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2014, 10:27 NKD

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 10:23:
Fair point.

They are horrendously underpaid though. According to the Googles, $8000 for the three month season. Given the danger involved, fuck. that.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 6, 2014, 10:18 NKD

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 10:05:
They probably made some poor sherpa or yak hike it up to Everest Base Camp. What a fucking dumb PR stunt.

Uh well, sherpas are traditionally paid to risk their lives guiding rich douchebags to the summit of Everest. I'd say hauling a few extra yaks to an EZ-mode peak nearby isn't the worst thing they've been paid to do all year.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 09:48 NKD

That murderer guy turned himself in to police rather than suicide-by-cop as he originally planned, so he is in custody now. Though the "4chan link" stuff is overstating it a bit. 4chan is where the dude posted his sick pictures after the fact. As far as anyone can tell, there was no other involvement by anyone on 4chan.

The best part was when ol' Brianna Wu decided to go on Twitter and link this to Gamergate or hold it up as an example of how serious online threats are. Except there were no online threats. This guy did his threatening in the real world, had a history of domestic violence and threats against law enforcement, and killed his girlfriend who he lived with, not some random woman on the Internet.

Sick of the people in this world who do that kind of shit. Comparing your trivial online threats to the very serious problem of domestic violence, god damn. Shameless.

News Comments > Evening Previews
9. Re: Evening Previews Nov 6, 2014, 08:19 NKD

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 07:53:

oh look another " I'm proud to steal" douchebag

I'd rather see someone vote with their wallet than participate in Rockstar Fanboy Syndrome.

InBlack wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 08:06:
CJ might be a loudmouth troll or whatever but you sound like a braindead worker drone right from 1984 with that comment PH.

I can't stop laughing at this for some reason. Well said sir.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2014, 09:50.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer Nov 5, 2014, 22:56 NKD

LittleMe wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 22:12:
Question is, is this game capped at 30fps on PC? Is it going to be a quality port/experience on PC?

No it's not capped at 30fps. But who knows how good the port will be. If it's like other Ubisoft games it'll have a lot of PC specific features but not much in the way of performance optimization.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston TM a Hoax
4. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston TM a Hoax Nov 5, 2014, 20:00 NKD

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 19:50:
Crying

Now now, no need to be upset. Boston is a fucking awful setting anyway. Can you imagine having to listen to THAT ACCENT for 20-30 hours? Holy fuck I'd kill myself. Of course it could be they still set it in Boston but the name is just wrong... ugh..

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2014, 19:47 NKD

My TV is a Sony LCD I picked out specifically for its extremely low input lag, but if I didn't play as many games on it, I probably would have picked up a new plasma instead. Good plasmas had incredible contrast and out of the box color for a really low price at a given size.

Never really liked plasmas for gaming though.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 5, 2014, 16:14 NKD

In Detroit you're lucky if you have running water or 911.  

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
33. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 14:51 NKD

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 14:29:
https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/530072762854170624

Bethblog's Twitter says it's a hoax.

Welp nothing to see here guys.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
30. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 14:26 NKD

Boston, gee, there's a setting to get excited about. Gag. Hopefully the gameplay is good.  

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2014, 13:26 NKD

I blame internalised mahogany  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2014, 12:57 NKD

Wow watching those voting results was like watching a national suicide attempt. The US really doesn't want to live on this planet anymore. Here we go boys, prepare your anus for legislation based on climate denial and religious doctrine.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 4, 2014, 21:48 NKD

DaHauns wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 20:33:
I see where you're coming from, Rigs. But it all comes back to the fact that this discussion has been had repeatedly since I don't know when. For books, for comics, for movies, for games.

Yep. It's all a bunch of unsubstantiated fearmongering.

News Comments > EVE Online Deploys Phoebe
1. Re: EVE Online Deploys Phoebe Nov 4, 2014, 18:52 NKD

Good changes in terms of nerfing hot drops, and improved skill queuing will be useful especially for newer characters that have a lot of short-duration skills to train.I don't think I'll be getting back into EVE though. Last time I played I just wasn't having as much fun as I used to. Plus I'm still a bit miffed at CCP for dropping World of Darkness.  

News Comments > Sun Sets on Dawngate
1. Re: Sun Sets on Dawngate Nov 4, 2014, 18:39 NKD

Smart move. MOBAs are a dead end right now. I'd be surprised if even Blizzard's MOBA goes anywhere near League or even Dota2 numbers.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed
49. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 18:00 NKD

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 17:50:

Your argument bases itself upon "full price" being some arbitrary measure of value, a cost that shall never be exceeded by any one game. That's just wrong... When their $60 game is better than every other game released in that entire year combined... Buying it twice is a pittance. No joke.

If you truly feel the game is that astonishingly good, then good for you I suppose. I personally think they could do better by their customers by giving them a discount if they already own the title. Or perhaps a cheaper asking price for the PC version because the PC gamers had to wait nearly a year and a half for their platform of choice. But I can see that any criticism of Rockstar will not go over well here, so I'll refrain from saying anymore.

29. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 15:47 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 15:23:
NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:34:
nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:27:

R* is the best!

Well, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. If they were the best, they wouldn't be charging $60 for an HD version of a year old game.

I know, right? Because the 100s of hours you get from a year-old GTA game is worth much less than a new version of CoD.

Seriously, watch the video. They've done a massive amount of work to make this happen. Yes, I realize they're rich fucks already, but if there's ever a game worth paying full price for, this is it.

I already own and have extensively played the game on PS3. If the game had new story content or something, then that combined with the HD enhancements MIGHT make it worth picking up at full price, or if they offered me a discount for having already purchased their game at full price at launch. But as it stands now it's going to be The Corsair's Harbor and later a $10 Steam sale for me.

7. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC First-Person Confirmed Nov 4, 2014, 14:34 NKD

nin wrote on Nov 4, 2014, 14:27:

R* is the best!

Well, let's not start sucking each others dicks quite yet. If they were the best, they wouldn't be charging $60 for an HD version of a year old game.

3564 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo