Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 4022 (Master)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2015, 19:54 NKD

Bring back Paul Reiser, that's truly what we all want, right?  

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold
12. Re: Pay for WoW Game Time with Game Gold Mar 2, 2015, 17:40 NKD

Some people haven't read the details so let me put a clarification:

Unlike the approach used in other games, Blizzard sets the price for these things according to their FAQ. There will be no free market with regards to how much gold you can get for one of these.

Q: How much gold will I receive when I sell a WoW Token?
A: The gold value of a Token will be determined dynamically based on supply and demand. When you put a Token up for sale, you’ll be quoted the amount of gold you’ll receive upon a successful sale. If you then decide to place the Token up for sale, that amount is locked in, and the gold will be sent to your mailbox after another player purchases your Token.

Q: Why can’t players set their own prices for the WoW Token?
A: The WoW Token feature is designed to facilitate the exchange of gold and game time between players in as secure, convenient, and fair a way as possible, and without making players feel like they’re playing a game with their hard-earned money. Having a set current market price and a straightforward exchange system is the best way to achieve that—you don’t need to worry about whether your Token will sell or not due to being undercut or the market shifting, and everyone receives exactly the amount of gold they were quoted.

Q: What happens if the price quoted to me is different from what the Token actually sells for?
A: You will always receive the gold amount quoted to you at the time you place a Token up for sale, regardless of what the current price is when the item actually sells.

So, interestingly, it's not even synchronous. You could pay more gold than the other person receives, or the other way round.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced
7. Re: Battlefield Hardline Premium Announced Mar 2, 2015, 10:42 NKD

So hyped for this. After I had my protein shake and savagely beat my girlfriend this morning I saw this news and was psyched as hell so I had another protein shake and beat the GF again. #justbrothings #gethype  

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
53. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 05:18 NKD

Slick wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 05:13:
last thing:

all this VR/AR shit is great, but it really needs developers to make things happen. I own a DK2 and there isn't much to do with it IMO, demos sure, but nothing that's just sucked me in, like i know it's capable of doing.

and that when it comes down to the install base. you want devs hungry to develop for a platform? give them numbers.

developers for the DK2 have an install base of 100,000. over several years. on the other hand the new iPhone sold 110,000,000 units in it's first few months. Mobile is the future. if anything will bring development to VR/AR, it's mobile. sad but true.

<--- that guy

Eh I dunno. Mobile and VR are pretty opposite ends of the spectrum. You're pretty immobile for VR, by necessity. You're supposed to be immersed in a virtual world, not the real one. I see AR and VR diverging greatly in that way. What you want from the technology for each application is very different. AR is very much about pattern recognition and unobtrusiveness, where VR is obviously about complete immersion. Something you're not going to find a lot of call for in the multitasking heavy mobile user base.

51. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 05:13 NKD

Slick wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 05:00:

I think your post just gave me cancer, is what i'm trying to say.

I thought I was a crotchety fuck lately, then I saw that guys posts.

News Comments > Op Ed
115. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2015, 04:37 NKD

beremot wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 03:47:

But please provide a link where Sarkeesian calls for any and all "politically incorrect" material to be removed from gaming. She certainly doesn't do it in the article linked to here. Do you have another link where she does? I mean an actual quote from her along those lines?

Anita points out stuff she says is a problem, and wants less of it. By your own claims, this is all she does. Now, I think she uses a lot of cherry picking and deceptive examples and makes unsubstantiated claims about the impact of this content on society, but one thing we can agree on is that all she is doing is listing things she thinks are examples of the problem.

So I ask you, if someone points out a problem to you, isn't it safe to assume they'd like that problem solved? I doubt Anita Sarkeesian is complaining about all the things she complains about because she just wants SOME of it dealt with. She points out even small or borderline examples in otherwise very woman-friendly games. So if even those games are not good enough... well... it's pretty clear on where her goal line is. And no, she doesn't call for everything "politically incorrect", just sexism against women. That's Anita's focus because thats her brand, but you personally have no brand. You're free to criticize anything and everything. Anita understandably has to focus on sexism.

But what about you? Why is it that's all you seem capable of talking about on this site? Why do you seemingly have no issue with violence in games, or stereotypical depictions of male characters? Aren't little boys just as discouraged by unattainable stereotypes as girls?

I understand why Anita has to choose a horse and stick with it. But what about you?

I guess what I'm getting at here is that I don't think you can be in favor of removing content that depicts one group of people in a way offensive to them without being in favor of doing the same for other groups, at least not if you're being consistent, and honest with yourself.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2015, 04:48.

47. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 03:58 NKD

FYI HTC is a very litigious company, if patents and lawsuits are your worry. In fact most mobile companies are very litigious because of the nature of their industry.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 2, 2015, 01:58 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 00:36:

Didn't realize Cutter was posting from prison these days.

Would that really be a big change from the padded room he posted from before?

41. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 01:54 NKD

Wraith wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 00:48:
NKD wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 00:10:
Uh, what did Palmer Luckey ever do? He has literally no track record. All he's ever done is keep a relatively low profile and work on Oculus Rift as far as I can recall.

Took Kickstarter money and made 2 billion dollars out of it, then drove off into the sunset in a Ferrari yelling "Thanks for the free money, suckers!"

It's shit like this which is why nobody should EVER back Kickstarter hardware. Those original Kickstarters should have been investment partners. And frankly, I've come to think the entire Kickstarter model is exploitative. I hope it dies in a ditch real soon now.

Basically Luckey completely betrayed his backers by selling out to Facebook. If he'd confessed he was intending to do this, he would've gotten zip.

Uh, he didn't drive off into the sunset. He's still at Oculus Rift working on the product. And he never promised that he'd never ever sell the company. All backer rewards were fulfilled as promised, and the product remains actively developed, and frankly, quite promising. He was offered an obscene amount of money that allowed his company and his project to expand. He would have been a complete idiot to say no.

In fact, if he had turned down the money, and the project stalled because they ran out of cash, that would have been a FAR larger disappointment to his backers.

You just sound like a whiny little cunt with an axe to grind, honestly. You're not using reason whatsoever.

News Comments > Op Ed
110. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2015, 00:15 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 23:09:
There are countless people with whom she could have an intelligent and civil debate yet she refuses. She no doubt realizes that her examples would be picked apart easily, therefore undermining her arguments as a whole.

"Listen and Believe"

36. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 2, 2015, 00:10 NKD

Wraith wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 23:43:
Thank fuck. I've been hoping someone would bring out something to smack down that piece of shit Palmer Luckey and this sounds like it could be the go.

I'd also like to see Mark Zuckerburg write down his 2 billion dollar investment in Oculus as a tax loss - because let's face it, if there's anyone who didn't deserve to make a dime out of the future of VR, it's those two fucking assholes.

Uh, what did Palmer Luckey ever do? He has literally no track record. All he's ever done is keep a relatively low profile and work on Oculus Rift as far as I can recall.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 1, 2015, 19:07 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 18:32:
Waiting patiently for the CCG review of Hatred.

They won't like it. They prefer their mass murder to be hidden under a thin veil of justification or better yet, divine mandate.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2015, 18:50 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 17:38:
“Dozens of threats to execute grade-school kids”- Madness of a 9/11 truther.

Article about a guy who identified a mentally ill white supremacist on Twitter who was becoming unhinged and about to go on a rampage killing a bunch of elementary students. A good read.

Glad to hear Cutter was stopped.

News Comments > Op Ed
103. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 05:49 NKD

Alright, I've been converted.

What can I do to help remove all objectionable content from games? I don't want to support violent or sexual content or anything that portrays another human being or group of human beings negatively. That might offend them, and as beremot has informed us, anything that is offensive or unfair to a group of people should be removed from games.

News Comments > how do you Do It?
22. Re: how do you Do It? Mar 1, 2015, 03:32 NKD

Uhhhh I thought this was obvious.

1) Find someone you like.
2) Ask if they want to combine naughty bits with you.
3) If yes, then do so. If no, purchase chloroform.

From there I think it's self explanatory.

News Comments > Op Ed
78. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 08:40 NKD

Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 08:26:
The developers themselves still get to decide what's better. There's a bit in Console Wars about how Tom Kalinske thought about the criticism violence in games was receiving and felt uncomfortable with what he was helping to produce. Should he not have been allowed to hear that criticism or have those doubts?

He can feel whatever he likes, obviously. But open hostility and bombardment on all fronts by vocal activists on the internet intended to bully and pressure, rather than simply criticize isn't the same as someone just saying "I do not like this and will not purchase this." So let's not pretend it is.

Once you cross the line into faulty and unsubstantiated arguments about games creating some culture of hatred towards women, or violence, and rather than merely stating your opinion, framing it as fact, then you've gone too far.

Anita Sarkeesian and her cohorts are using lies, cherry-picking, and fear mongering because the average consumer does not give a fuck about the issues she cares about. Without the support of the consumer, they can't hit the developers in the wallets. Most of them aren't even the consumers these companies sell to! They are effectively outsiders. No better than the bunch of rich old white women who tried to shut down rap music under obscenity laws in the 80s and early 90s, or the fear mongers who oppose violence and sex in all media every day.

There's a big difference between stating your opinion and rallying the troops to pressure people into doing things they don't want to do, especially when you're an outsider sticking your nose into someone elses hobby.

News Comments > Op Ed
75. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 08:00 NKD

Kevin Lowe wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 07:49:

The whole point of criticism isn't to force developers to do things differently. It's to convince them to want to do better.

Not everyone has the same idea of what is "better." Some people are very opposed to violence in video games and don't think violent games should be developed. Should developers all strive to remove violence from their games?

Is that "better"?

Developers are free to create what they want, and consumers are free to purchase what they want. That's how this works. If games you find offensive are selling big numbers, then what? Should those customers have their favorite games discontinued or sanitized because your feelings are hurt?

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
4. Re: Evening Screenshots Feb 28, 2015, 05:48 NKD

Meh expected a bigger upgrade over the current-gen consoles in term of graphics.  

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 05:43 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 05:11:
Sarkeesian's dishonest arguments only hurt her otherwise reasonable message.

See, the thing about her message being reasonable is that its reasonableness makes it pointless. What she says is reasonable. So people, such as myself, assume that there's some subtext here. Her defenders here on Blue's are quick to say that she isn't looking to take our games away or force creative minds to her will. But if that's true, then what exactly is she trying to do? We already have a huge variety of games. Some games contain the tropes she criticizes, some do not. The choice is available to the consumer to buy into the games she criticizes, or to buy into games that she does not.

So what does she want exactly? What's the action plan? If it's diversity in female game characters, congratulations, we already have that and have had it for years. That's what leads me, and others, to assume she is after an entire eradication of content in games that some might find offensive.

After all, why not just vote with your wallet? If something offends you, do not purchase it. If it offends enough people, it will not survive. If it doesn't offend enough people, then your views are not shared by others and should not be forced upon them. Games are not an industry where the creators have you by the proverbial balls. You can absolutely tell developers to go fuck themselves and never buy their product again, with nearly zero impact to yourself.

There are already lots of games out there that are very fair in terms of their treatment of female characters. In fact I'd say the majority are completely inoffensive. So, consumers have a choice whether to support games that depict women unfairly. What more does Sarkeesian want? Clearly she wants something or she'd shut the fuck up. That's what shills like beremot and Beamer have yet to clarify. If Sarkeesian's complaints are reasonable, then what do they suggest we do to accommodate them beyond what's already being done?

As far as I can tell beremot, Beamer, and their ilk would like to see a games industry that has been purged of any content deemed offensive to certain groups of society, or a games industry that goes out of its way to impede developers who choose to create content that could be deemed offensive. Current situation: Buyers choose what to support. What's wrong with that? There's literally nothing stopping people from creating games that do not utilize the tropes people apparently find so offensive. There is no monopoly, no abuse of corporate power stopping people from creating these games.

No one has explained to me what Anita Sarkeesian's goal is, or how she intends to reach it. As far as I can tell, she just wants to convert everyone to her taste in games, which is odd seeing as how she doesn't play games.

News Comments > Op Ed
66. Re: Op Ed Feb 28, 2015, 03:39 NKD

beremot wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 01:10:
The tide of history, is not on your side.

The "tide of history" is going to do what, exactly? Remove all tropes from video games? Remove developers right to create whatever the fuck they want even if it offends some people? Because that's the "side" most of us here are on.

What is it you see the "tide of history" bringing us in terms of games?

4022 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo