Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3404 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2014, 16:32 NKD

I'm just curious at what point nin was hired by Rockstar.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > WoW: Warlords of Draenor Beta Underway
5. Re: WoW: Warlords of Draenor Beta Underway Jun 29, 2014, 18:40 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 15:53:

I was surprised to finally get Pyralos down after trying on and off at various hours over the course of four days due to how much bullshit surrounds it between bugging out and there being more than two players always trying to get it done at the same time.

Pyralos is such a damn mess. You can sometimes get lucky and get him to work the first time, or you can be there for 3 hours watching him fill the entire fucking platform with death.

But that's easy compared to the silver dungeons. Torture.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > WoW: Warlords of Draenor Beta Underway
3. Re: WoW: Warlords of Draenor Beta Underway Jun 29, 2014, 14:49 NKD

I'm glad I'm liking the changes they've been making in Warlords, because all I can seem to do in Wildstar is jump around the capital city waiting forever to get picked for attunement. I'll be able to clear WoD raids before I even get into one in Wildstar.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 28, 2014, 16:06 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 16:03:

Guess you never do oral, eh? Sex only for procreation? No oral, anal, finishing outside, birth control, etc.?

Your life must be awful.

Especially considering that old dinosaur's dick probably doesn't even work.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Jun 27, 2014, 14:54 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 27, 2014, 12:19:
Reading the responses to the ARS article you would think none of these people had ever played a hard core game. Eve is hard core, Wildstar is just another themepark that is a shade more difficult than average.

Personally, I had enough cartoons in Wow. That turned me off right away to start with.

Even EVE is more accessible than Wildstar's endgame. The attunement process is a massive assrape. The dungeons are extremely punishing and require ideal class composition if you have any hope of beating the Silver medal requirement needed for attunement. If you're running a less than optimal class, your odds of getting attuned are extremely low unless your guild is willing to straight up carry your subpar DPS and lack of utility. And even then, you still have to be pretty good, because you cannot carry a complete potato through attunement. It's just too tightly tuned.

In all my years playing EVE I wasn't locked out of playing the game because of a difficulty curve. Sure, I had to do a bit of research on things, and the game is large in scope, but getting to the fun parts of EVE is a lot easier than getting to the fun parts of Wildstar.

I'd go so far as to say that unless you're playing with a guild that had top 100 worldwide progression in WoW, that you just shouldn't bother with Wildstar. You will have fun for a little while and then when you hit the brick fucking wall that is Silver Dungeons and realize you don't have anyone skilled enough to complete them playing with you, you will quit.

I'm in a guild with very skilled players (Top 20 US raiders in WoW, some with even higher experience than that), but since I'm not part of the clique, the skilled players or players with powerful classes are all having fun, and I'm fucking jumping around in the capital city.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
64. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 21:31 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:49:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:28:
Why would they lie? Why would they remove tested, functional, release-ready features from their product in the first place? How would they benefit from doing so?
Favorite conspiracy theory going today: Sony asked them to, as sony has the most to lose in the graphics wars. Everyone already knows xbone is full-on-shit.

I don't really buy this conspiracy theory. Consoles are not threatened by PC as a platform in the least. PC games have looked significantly better than their console counterparts forever, Watch Dogs included, and it's never mattered before. You don't see anyone else doing it, either, so it's unlikely to be pressure from Sony or anyone else.

Gamers are notorious for basically attributing everything every developer and publisher does to some kind of conspiratorial malice, even absent ANY evidence of intent.

Preconception: Ubisoft and other companies are evil. They want to make money, which is greedy and evil. Therefore everything they do is somehow aimed towards that end. If their actions don't appear to be in their greedy best interests, well, we must invent a theory to explain why perceived incompetence, laziness or shortsightedness is actually just another element of the conspiracy.

What's more likely? Some conspiracy to make Watch Dogs for PC look worse, or the idea that they just didn't care enough to get those graphical upgrades release-ready?

The second seems most likely. Why? Because it's the status quo. Lazy PC ports are nothing new. There is no conspiracy. Ubisoft ALWAYS does this shit. They throw in a lot of cool PC exclusive features and settings, but don't optimize anything. It stands to reason given their track record that they would cut a feature rather than spend time optimizing it, especially if it's not going to be compatible with consoles.

So, is it a conspiracy? Or is it Ubisoft just being typical Ubisoft with regards to the PC platform? Gonna go with #2.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2014, 21:37.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained
6. Re: Watch Dogs Patched; PC Graphics Explained Jun 20, 2014, 09:56 NKD

BitWraith wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 09:41:
Yeah I call BS. So what if it affects performance. Make it a toggle in the options and move on. I have lots of games with options that affect performance.

Not just a performance issue from what I can see. I tried the patch and I'm getting all kinds of odd lighting bugs. This code was not ready for prime time. I'd rather they have fixed it and put it back in, but if they couldn't fix it for whatever reason, leaving it out was the right call.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
1. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 09:08 NKD

Fuck yes.  

News Comments > New Deus Ex Details?
5. Re: New Deus Ex Details? Jun 17, 2014, 10:57 NKD

Are we back to shitting on DX:HR? You guys need to make up your minds.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 16, 2014, 23:11 NKD

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 18:08:
Tech Analysis: Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS4.

Ship date? SHIP DATE?!?!

<sigh>

September 17th, 2013. It was a great game, I recommend you play it.

News Comments > Line Of Defense $99 Early Access
40. Re: Line Of Defense $99 Early Access Jun 16, 2014, 22:58 NKD

Blah blah blah why hasn't a vending machine fell on this stupid fuck yet?  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Female Lead Follow-up Jun 11, 2014, 21:48 NKD

It's funny, if they said "We couldn't really devote the resources." to any other cut feature, people would say "Okay" and move on. But here everyones throwing a big ol' fit without thinking it through even a little bit.

I bet most of these fucks haven't even played AC: Liberation either.

As I said in the previous thread, beyond the art assets needed, to set the story in historical times means to do credit to a female protagonist you need to recognize what it was to be a female in historical times. You can't just copy and paste a female into a male's storyline without sacrificing that. AC adds fantastical elements to the past, but it doesn't subtract all the dirt to make it an idealized utopia either.

Liberation is about a mixed race female Assassin. Freedom Cry is about a black former slave Assassin. And both of those stories examined the Assassin order from that perspective.

Yes, they could have done another female Assassin game, and maybe they will again. But when they do I'm guessing it'll be another game about a female Assassin. One they can add to their lore instead of just being a non-canon variant on a male character.

News Comments > Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity
65. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 21:37 NKD

PropheT wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 18:40:

The Assassin's Creed games are about as historical as Ancient Aliens. Sure, they talk about stuff that happens historically, but there's a fairly healthy dose of fantasy inserted there.

Yeah, they have fantastical elements obviously, but they aren't portraying the paste as some kind of egalitarian utopia where women and blacks and such are treated equal to the white males, so it would be bullshit to just copy and paste in a female character into a story built for a male character.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 11, 2014, 18:05 NKD

I gave up hope on any new Star Trek series a while back. They don't want to water down ol' Captain Lens Flare's brand.  

52. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 17:52 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 17:07:
I actually think it would have rejuvenated the series.

The problem is that when you're going historical, any time before like the 1960s the character being female is going to have to be a significant element in their experience or you're being historically dishonest. I can see how writers would get tired of having to weave that into the narrative, and they've already done it once in AC: Liberation.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 15:47 NKD

Still no sign of more Deus Ex. Disappointing.  

43. Re: Female Lead Cut from Assassin's Creed: Unity Jun 11, 2014, 15:37 NKD

While I'd like the option, I don't really blame them. It's a lot of work, and they'd feel pretty discouraged about spending time on it when only like 10% of their players choose the female option because it's not default or for whatever reason.

Plus let's be honest here. A male and a female experience, even as Assassins, in historical times would be significantly different. Slapping boobs and a nice ass on your avatar would not make a legitimate or credible female protagonist. You'd need story/dialogue differences. You can't get away with "It's the future, no one cares about your gender or orientation" in a period game set in 1789.

If they were going to do a female protagonist in one of the main-series games, it would be far better to do JUST a female instead of having both options.

News Comments > Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V
9. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 11, 2014, 15:24 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 07:16:
NKD wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 01:19:
I'm not sure how someone could feel 'threatened' by Linux gaming.

You seem to be. Every time I click one of these to read about what people think about it, you go out of your way trying to turf it.

Linux gaming barely even registered on the radar until a year ago, now there has been a lot of press, new releases and the backing of a major player in the PC gaming industry. No matter how user NKD feels about it, that's news. It doesn't mean Linux will overtake Windows and no one is saying that. There's no time limit on these things anyway and damn it, how dare people be a bit optimistic about the platform they might be interested in. Keep using Windows and ignore it then if you don't think its a valid platform. No one is trying to force you to use it.

I just don't think it has the shiny glorious future ushered in by Gabe Newell that some people seem to think. That's my opinion, and I'm not sorry for posting it. Why is it okay for people to have an optimistic opinion, but not okay for me to have one that isn't optimistic?

And unlike most people around here, I'm pretty judicious in how I apply my pessimism, taking a wait and see approach to most things. Unfortunately I got tired of waiting for the Linux gaming revolution 6 or 7 years ago.

News Comments > Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V
6. Re: Linux Sid Meierís Civilization V Jun 11, 2014, 01:19 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 23:16:
I'm not sure why you keep trying to denigrate such a positive thing for consumers in the form of added choice but you don't need to feel so threatened, you can keep on using Windows like you always have.

I'm not sure how someone could feel 'threatened' by Linux gaming. Not even Microsoft gives a fuck about Windows gaming, since their financial stake in gaming is tied up in Xbox.

I just think people always have way too optimistic an outlook for Linux gaming. People have been talking about it forever and it's not even caught up to Mac yet.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall
71. Re: Grand Theft Auto V for PC This Fall Jun 11, 2014, 00:19 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 23:28:

They're adding additional release platforms, not double dipping.

They are releasing it a year after launch with some graphical enhancements for FULL price. Sorry, but there's no justification for this thing costing $60.

3404 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo