Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row IV Independence Day Trailer
4. Re: Saints Row IV Independence Day Trailer Jul 3, 2013, 20:39 NKD

Keith David and David Keith are not the same person...  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Movie Status
17. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:22 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:11:
nin wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:29:
Also Pacific Rim. What the hell? Giant robots against giant sea monsters? What the fuck was Del Toro thinking....

I'll say it again: It's either going to be totally awesome, or totally cheesy.

As someone who, like Del Toro, grew up on a steady diet of Godzilla and Gamera movies, I expect it to be both totally awesome AND totally cheesy!

Yup. It's just supposed to be a fun robot vs. monster movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Anyone expecting a Christopher Nolan cynicism fest will be disappointed.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Movie Status
12. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 12:02 NKD

D_K_night wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 11:38:
It's too late for a WoW movie.

They should have come out with it during Wrath of the Lich King time. It's gonna flop now.

It was always going to flop.

News Comments > Ubisoft Breached
2. Re: Ubisoft Breached Jul 2, 2013, 21:28 NKD

Is there anyone who hasn't had a security breach at this point? I stopped caring a long time ago.  

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2013, 14:15 NKD

InBlack wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 07:18:
JeffD wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 04:15:
While not really any raid progression, Guild Wars has a healthy difficulty factor. The fact that you scale in level relative to the area you are in means you can't just run into a low level camp and take on 6-7 mobs.. well unless your a tanky guardian.

The dungeons in guild wars 2 however are brutal, and one dungeon scales mob difficulty up as you go through it. Its actually impossible to reach the highest level (its like 99, but I believe in the 70s the environmental damage just one shots). Also questing legendary weapons requires true dedication.

Level scaling is beyond retarded. Especially scaling the player character to the environment. Its lazy and is paramount to breastfeeding the content to the player.

Yep. And it destroys a sense of progression. People want to be able to go back to old areas and feel great about how far they've come. I remember in EverQuest everytime I went back to a starting area, I was so happy I didn't have to worry about the mobs there. They were beneathe me, and my hard work exploring the game had paid off. It's a simple thing, but immensely satisfying.

Now, games either don't let you truly progress (GW2) or make it so easy that you don't feel you've earned it (WoW).

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jul 1, 2013, 16:47 NKD

MMOs can be challenging and hardcore, you just have to have a greater focus, and be more mindful of your budget. It's only if you're looking for a quick cash-in that you want to cater to the casual MMO players who will only play your game for 6 months.

Pick a niche, do it well, and you'll have a modestly sized game but one that grows over time, with a dedicated player base, instead of one that is slowly collapsing over time with a revolving door player base.

MMOs started going down hill once they went out of their way to attract players who, quite frankly, don't even like MMOs.

News Comments > Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned?
26. Re: Darkspore Off Steam; Abandoned? Jul 1, 2013, 16:21 NKD

Online requirement was the least of this shitfest's problems.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch
22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jul 1, 2013, 02:15 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 00:28:
Big difference if the game is profitable to cover on-going costs monthyl vs covering costs already concurred years ago. I'm not so sure the game is overall profitable, just that today it brings in more monthly than they put into it monthly.

Yeah but simply being profitable on a month to month basis isn't enough to keep a project alive. It has to be more profitable than all the other things you could put those resources into.

EA isn't going to keep Bioware Austin running and developing the game if it is only making a middling profit. They will gut the studio and particularly outstanding employees will be offered jobs at another EA studio.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 30, 2013, 20:26 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 17:20:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 15:34:
I like this game..how do you respond to that?
Good for you, just spend lots more cash because EA needs it.

NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 13:40:
That would take ages to pay back, and that's not how EA does business.

EA has lost close to $800 million in the last four years, and they've won the worst company award back to back. That's how they do business.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:EA&fstype=ii&ei=6Z_QUfjmJLK80AGaaA

Yep. They aren't in a position to be running an MMO that may never pay off/ If it wasn't already in the black or was going to be soon, they'd kill the project, shutter Bioware Austin, and reallocate the staff to a more profitable project.

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 30, 2013, 13:40 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 11:06:
NKD wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 06:32:
Julio wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 06:15:
You guys haven't included marketing costs for the game. And no ongoing costs for the first 11 months? Development costs are only part of the equation. Your link is for development costs only.

Here's a full all-in estimate...

500 million

Not to mention the sub revenue estimates I gave you we're the most they could possibly have gotten.

None of us know for sure, but I'm sure if the game was profitable they would have not gone to F2P and stayed with their subscription model. Or got rid of most of the senior guys involved with this fiasco.

I've been through your link 2 or 3 times and I don't see any $500 million figure.

Not that I want a pony in this race, but here it was "“I think it’s safe to say that the total all-in investment in ‘Star Wars’ is probably approaching half a billion dollars,” Creutz says."

Ah. Yeah, smells like one of those Pachter-like wild guessers. If EA was saying the game would be acceptably profitable at 500k subs, then it didn't cost them half a bill. That would take ages to pay back, and that's not how EA does business.

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 30, 2013, 06:32 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 06:15:
You guys haven't included marketing costs for the game. And no ongoing costs for the first 11 months? Development costs are only part of the equation. Your link is for development costs only.

Here's a full all-in estimate...

500 million

Not to mention the sub revenue estimates I gave you we're the most they could possibly have gotten.

None of us know for sure, but I'm sure if the game was profitable they would have not gone to F2P and stayed with their subscription model. Or got rid of most of the senior guys involved with this fiasco.

I've been through your link 2 or 3 times and I don't see any $500 million figure.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 29, 2013, 21:34 NKD

Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 21:13:

Feel free to google the numbers, they're easy to find.

$500+ million invested in the game.

Something showing up on Google doesn't make it true. Telling us to Google for someones outsider guesses or some debunked low level employee's personal blog isn't helpful to the discussion.

If you think EA spent $500 million on TOR, you're bonkers. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and you don't have it. The only official word we have to go on is that they were aiming to make the game profitable at 500,000 subs. They had more than that for quite some time. And even in F2P, they still have around 500,000 subs, plus whatever F2P model makes them.

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PTR Patch Jun 29, 2013, 19:04 NKD

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 17:01:
100+ Million down the drain....

Your comment seems to imply that the game has been cancelled. Given that the game is profitable and releasing new content, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Not saying it's a good game, but it's making money or it wouldn't be running. EA isn't exactly known for it's grand charity work in keeping unprofitable games running.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
10. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 22:30 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:46:
I thought he had all the private funding he needed? The more this guy talks, the less I trust him.

Thats the big problem with Kickstarters and otehr crowdsource projects. Instead of taking X amount of money and doing what they can, they are constantly chasing more money to do more. You don't have that freedom in a traditional publisher scenario, so sometimes these guys go nuts with it.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
23. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 18:17 NKD

Funny how the colonies are becoming the theocracies, and the UK and other parts in Europe are becomes godless heathen-states.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification
8. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 12:40 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 11:55:
Seriously, this title gets worse with every new version.

While I do not like the practice of banning anything, developers like this give the entire industry a black eye. Come on THQ, exercising such bad taste with a game like this is just beyond stupid.

What is the enamorment of being a sleaze bag? Someone gave me Saints Row III and once I realized that it was trash, I put it where it belonged.

Hellbinder is that you?

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Battling Through "Legal Hell"?
27. Re: Baldur's Gate III Battling Through Jun 24, 2013, 15:57 NKD

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 15:56:
sauron wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 15:09:
Was hoping to play this on my Android pad. Oh well...

BG:EE is completely awful on tablets.

Considering the lawyers shut down the patch that would have fixed most of the problems...

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Battling Through "Legal Hell"?
19. Re: Baldur's Gate III Battling Through Jun 24, 2013, 13:55 NKD

Fucking lawyers shitting all over things as usual.  

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
14. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 18:26 NKD

El Pit wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 17:11:
$275? Whoah. I can't think of any game that could lure me into investing that amount of money.

NKD wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 16:44:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 16:29:
I am almost investing in this game.

Quick, someone talk me out of it.

I just bought in for $275.

Sorry, that's not helping is it?

You should see how much I gave Starbound

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
3. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 22, 2013, 16:44 NKD

Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2013, 16:29:
I am almost investing in this game.

Quick, someone talk me out of it.

I just bought in for $275.

Sorry, that's not helping is it?

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo