Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
73. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 03:52 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 02:15:

"When people say too much about this topic, people stop listening."

Because shutting up is going to fix this issue? Both people and the news industry have serious ADD. The only way to move forward is to keep it in the public eye. And it's like Gandhi said, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." I'm seeing all three in this thread, so that's progress at least.

It's not about how much you say. It's about not overstating your case. Nobody with a brain can argue that women have equality to men. They simply fucking don't.

But making a problem seem bigger than it really is, or trying to compare it to much more serious problems elsewhere in the world, just turns people off to your ideas. Fixing income inequality in the US isn't going to stop a single woman from being raped to death in Africa, so trying to draw those parallels feels disgusting and belittles the plight of people who have higher priority problems.

If you could fix the problem on your own, you wouldn't need to write articles about it. It would just get fixed. The whole point of writing an article is to education and raise awareness regarding an issue. You're trying to swing public opinion to your way of thinking. Since you don't have a bully pulpit or the ability to brainwash people, you need to be accurate and intellectually honest. The Tumblr style Social Justice Warrior routine turns you into a parody of your own cause and gets you dismissed even by people who AGREE with the fundamentals of your cause.

And then you're left where you started. The only people caring being people directly affected because you've pissed away the empathy of other people by being ridiculous.

Gender inequality is something worthy of writing articles about. It SHOULD be kept in the public eye. But the rampant sensationalist headlines, over the top blog pieces, and generally anything posted by Polygon just make me physically tired of even talking about the subject. I can't muster up the energy to care anymore because realistic and practical viewpoints about how to improve things are shouted down by wildly exaggerated and idealistic ones.

I feel like that on many issues these days. Internet discussion has just become a cesspool of escalating extremism. An arms race to see who can be more ridiculous, in this case the radfems, or the women-hating douchebags. And everyone else is left just sighing and walking away.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Southwest Jul 24, 2014, 01:00 NKD

shinchan0s wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 23:02:
LOL. Give my kids priority boarding or I'm telling the Twitterverse! God, what a massive douche. Last time I checked kids take up a whole seat too. If you get split up, passengers are usually more than happy to switch seats. I'm flying Southwest from Denver in a couple of weeks anyway, I'll be sure to give Kimberly a thumbs up if I see her!

Eh. Kimberly or whoever was in the wrong on this one. Or at least ignorant of how it usually goes down. Not saying it was worth Tweeting about, but then again tweets are how you get results from the airlines.

It's pretty routine if you're traveling with your kids to let them board with their parents even if their tickets don't qualify for early boarding. The other passengers understand and don't mind, and you avoid alienating a customer. I don't know if it's official Southwest policy, but when my ex and I traveled her kids boarded with us even though they had regular ol "You board last" tickets. Never had an issue with other airlines either.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Op Ed
71. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 00:55 NKD

descender wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 00:04:
If you had your way, there would be no links on this website at all.

He doesn't actually click them before commenting so it wouldn't really affect him at all anyway.

News Comments > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All
14. Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All Jul 23, 2014, 20:33 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:27:
I guess? I mean, I bought Sims 3 for my wife to play, and she fooled around with it for a few hours and never returned.

Your wife never returned?! Sorry to hear that bro. There are other fish in the sea!

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 19:48 NKD

Bodolza wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:04:
See PETA for a perfect example.

That's actually a really good point that I think a lot of people miss.

Even if you're 100% right, even if you have the morally justified position, you have to be careful about overstating things because that will turn your allies into bystanders. It's like being the friend that gets a little too political about things. They are an awesome person, but when they cross a certain line you stop speaking up to defend them.

I'm probably one of the most progressive, liberal people you'll find, but I get so frustrated with the amount of energy wasted on First World Problems by Tumblr-esque activism.

Yes, there are problems that should be addressed in well-to-do segments of the population. I'm not suggesting that unless you're a starving gay atheist third world rape victim with AIDS you shouldn't be allowed to complain.

But you're going to have a much harder time garnering support from the public at large if you make them sick of hearing your voice.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:47 NKD

Peasant Article.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 23, 2014, 18:43 NKD

Saw EarthBound in the store the other decade and was pondering buying it, but I thought to myself, "I better wait to see what Yahtzee has to say about it before buying." I understand there was a bit of a delay in getting the review out, but he seems generally positive.

So I'm going to head back to the store to pick it up. I hope they still have some in stock. I also hope the store still exists.

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:28 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 18:24:
Beamer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:18:
Another example of "hey, that's a problem, but look over here, there's another problem!" with a dash of "that may be a problem, but it doesn't affect me, however this problem over here does and it should also be important, how come this video game website hasn't discussed it!"
Hey look, it's a another example of: It's still a problem(and an increasing problem), with a case of there are plenty of other problems out there. And has been a longer on-going issue than the issue being discussed. Why is that people think that only their special problem is the only thing worthy of attention, especially when an issue actually effects both genders.

Getting a bunch of 20 somethings to click on your article about old people getting shafted in the work place is probably not going to be too easy, so it'll be difficult to get it past your editor. Especially at a place like Polygawful.

News Comments > Steam Controller Redesigned?
4. Re: Steam Controller Redesigned? Jul 23, 2014, 18:21 NKD

Looking forward to the inclusion of a Steam Keyboard with Dvorak layout. Enough with the hipster bullshit Valve. PC users want keyboard and mouse. Console users want dual thumbsticks. Nobody short of maybe some Nintendo fans want some gimmick controller.  

News Comments > Boss Key Staffs Up
1. Re: Boss Key Staffs Up Jul 23, 2014, 18:15 NKD

Oh Cliffy B.

Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me... can't get fooled again.

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 18:10 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 15:37:
If you click on Polygon articles I would like you to post your name and address so I can come slap some sense into you.

I'll come along and we can make it like this video.

"Do you post on Blue's News under the user name Cutter?"

"Did you comment on some shitty Polygon Tumblr SJW style article?"

Then proceed with the ass whipping.

News Comments > WildStar Sabotage Announced
1. Re: WildStar Sabotage Announced Jul 22, 2014, 19:38 NKD

PvP is a lost cause in this game. Not really excited.  

News Comments > EVE Online Crius Launches
4. Re: EVE Online Crius Launches Jul 22, 2014, 14:52 NKD

Dirwulf wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:44:
Buy a mining permit or I will hunt you down and blow you up. The Code always wins!!

www.minerbumping.com

Oh high sec, what a shithole.

News Comments > EVE Online Crius Launches
2. Re: EVE Online Crius Launches Jul 22, 2014, 13:37 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:32:
Protesting against ccp for what they've done to the Vampire The Masquerade. Speaking out against them and not buying their games, seems to be the only solution to freeing the VtM franchise. Sadly, even it if takes them going into bankruptcy.

I don't get it. What's the problem with CCP owning VTM? Has anyone even approached them to try and license it for a game? Knowing CCP, they'd be more than willing to do that. After all they licensed out the Pen & Paper portion wholesale to another company and they're doing an admirable job with it.

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
2. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 13:17 NKD

This about sums up my feelings on the matter.  

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
30. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 22, 2014, 13:14 NKD

ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:10:
NKD wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:07:
ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:02:
SUSPENDED! At last! Took Kickstarter bloody long enough.

What? The funny money came in over the weekend. At least give them a couple days to investigate bro... I think this is a plenty quick enough resolution.

True but there were a lot of other red flags raised that at least deserved an investigation from Kickstarter, which didn't happen.

I love Kickstarter but damn, they really have to start tightening their policies to include investigations on projects that raise a lot of red flags.

Ehh I guess, but I think the previous red flags were more about quality and worthiness rather than willful fraud. I feel like Kickstarter should let us decide which projects are worth backing, and stick to policing fraud and willful misuse of their platform. They have tens of thousands of projects. Some of them are going to be a lot more worthwhile than others.

Still, it's nice to see these fuckers get their shit taken down. I can't wait for them to throw a big ol' fit.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 22, 2014, 13:09 NKD

Aaaand SUSPENDED.

Take that, scumbags.

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
27. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 22, 2014, 13:07 NKD

ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:02:
SUSPENDED! At last! Took Kickstarter bloody long enough.

What? The funny money came in over the weekend. At least give them a couple days to investigate bro... I think this is a plenty quick enough resolution.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 13:02 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 12:51:
The average age of the CNN viewer is 69. That's all you need to know.

Cable news in general isn't much better, either. It is marketed at old ignorant retirees. I don't think any of the cable news channels have an average viewer age of less than 60. Pointing out some ignorant, out of touch silliness on CNN or Fox News or MSNBC is like pointing out some 70 year old guy's backwards views. No one is surprised and no one cares.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Subscription Plans
11. Re: The Sims 4 Subscription Plans Jul 21, 2014, 19:51 NKD

Rossafur wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:53:
Wonder how many packs it will take for it to feel like an actually complete game this time around. Gotta love the model where each sequel brings you back to feeling completely stripped-down again... Will something as basic as pets even make it into the base game this time? Jobs that aren't just sending your sim to a building for 8 hours with nothing to see?

To be fair it would be pretty impossible to make a sequel that had even half the features and content that were in the previous titles. And it would only get harder each time. Thats an enormous back catalog to port.

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo