Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
6. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 13:25 NKD

I wonder if any of you have actually thought about the implications of peer-to-peer used games market on Steam...

To make it simple, you have two buttons that are effectively "Buy for Cheap from another user" and "Buy for Expensive from the developer/publisher."

Instead of selling 500,000 copies, a developer sells 50,000 that just get recycled over and over again for eternity. You don't see this with console games because there's an inconvenience factor and the most convenient way has an annoying middle man that takes most the money. (Gamestop, most commonly).

Whether it's within our rights or not, it's definitely not in our best interests, because it would decimate the Steam catalog as publishers bail out from a platform that discourages its users from even buying from the publisher.

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:18:

While I hate to seem like the white knight here, I think the reality is even if Steam wanted to allow it, the bigger problem is publishers actually agreeing to it.

That's basically the issue. Even if they somehow force Steam to offer a used game store (which is a questionable proposition at best), they can't force publishers to offer their titles on Steam.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Redshirt Video
2. Re: Redshirt Video Jul 20, 2013, 15:20 NKD

Nice to see some relatively unique game concepts pop up. Definitely not something I'd play, but cool nonetheless.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > On Sale
30. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2013, 12:20 NKD

This years sale has put me over the 250 game mark I think.  

News Comments > New GeForce Beta Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Beta Drivers Jul 18, 2013, 16:31 NKD

What I'm really annoyed with is Nvidia Surround. I recently built a new PC and hooked up three monitors. The drivers for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 all have their own unique set of problems with the configuration that are just too annoying to get into.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants
1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Shelving Paid Implants Jul 18, 2013, 10:32 NKD

Nice to see people who actually listen.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Johnny Gat Trailer
4. Re: Saints Row IV Johnny Gat Trailer Jul 17, 2013, 20:47 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 20:28:
Can't hear - do we know who's voicing him?
Though I think any voice actor could probably make him awesome.

They screwed up significantly with SR3, nice to see them reversing. Gat was always the best part of the story!

Daniel Dae Kim is back.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Johnny Gat Trailer
1. Re: Saints Row IV Johnny Gat Trailer Jul 17, 2013, 20:10 NKD

Fuck yeah!  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound
16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound Jul 16, 2013, 11:30 NKD

Got my key early yesterday. Backed pretty early on.  

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
1. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 09:06 NKD

STOP RESISTING!!!  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2013, 17:00 NKD

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:03:
I agree with him. Kickstarter needs to limit over-funding. Anything added in stretch goals that is important to the core game should have been there in the first place. Sure they are getting more money to add 'extra' frills to the game, but they aren't being pledged with more development time in tandem with the money.

I used to be of the mind that Kickstarter should just cut off funding options at about 130% the original goal. However I heard Adam Sessler mention a good idea, pro-rate all the early pledges once the goal is met. Now I don't mean the developer should start losing money, but it could be an incentive to pledge early. Then once more people pledge past the goal reduce the early birds pledge by $5-$10 then stop before they start losing money.

Over-regulated nonsense. The second Kickstarter did something like that, everyone would just go to a site that didn't. Who the fuck is Kickstarter to tell me who has enough money and who doesn't? Fuck that.

What would people do anyway? Set modest goals and hamstring themselves? Set ambitious goals and not get funded? It just makes running the whole Kickstarter too much of a ridiculous gamble instead of a simple clean proposition like it is now.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2013, 17:09.

News Comments > Valve's Young Developer Pipeline
8. Re: Valve's Young Developer Pipeline Jul 15, 2013, 13:39 NKD

Valve is the best adult daycare that exists.  

News Comments > LoL Players Athletes
11. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 07:14 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 04:58:
It should probably be classified as entertainment, much like actors, because it is pretty insulting to any real professional athlete out there. Can you imagine some LOL kid gets a seat beside an NFL player on a plane.

Kid: Hey, you're XYZ. Cool, I'm a pro athlete too.
XYZ (looking at him skeptically): Uh yeah, what sport?
Kid: Oh I play video games. It's really hardcore!
XYZ: Uh Stewardess, is there another seat available?

I don't think professional athletes care too much about who can get a P1 visa. They are more concerned with how many cars they can buy, whch is infinitely more than some LOL scrub.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jul 13, 2013, 06:21 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 04:10:
Apparently a "summer intern acted beyond the scope of his authority" over at the NTSB. I bet that intern is getting raked over the coals about now.

That is so, so wrong, but I'd be lying if it didn't make me laugh. I agree with Cutter, how'd the news guys miss that?

Hahaha... wow. Interns man

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Jul 12, 2013, 23:58 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 23:21:
Lulz! Captain Sum Ting Wong, et al and none of the bozos in the entire news department of NTSB caught it? Wow, just wow!

I doubt this ACTUALLY came from the NTSB, those guys are sticks in the mud. Most likely someone in the news station fucked with stuff...

News Comments > LoL Players Athletes
4. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 12, 2013, 23:54 NKD

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 22:22:
So LoL is now a sport, and its players are considered "athletes", yet 6 million competitive cheerleaders in the US have no such recognition, and thus if they get injured, their schools refuse to pay for their medical treatments on the grounds that they weren't injured in an "athletic activity."

Seems legit. Good job once again, US government.

Creston

The Riot Games guy is kind of overstating it a bit. As far as I can tell, he's referring specifically to being able to get a P1 visa. Those standards are fairly relaxed and are separate from the issue you're talking about.

I'm almost certain that cheerleaders can get P1 visas as well. You're not going to see schools paying the medical bills for diabeetus and brain damage resulting from League of Legends play.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Vengeance for PC Next Month
4. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Vengeance for PC Next Month Jul 11, 2013, 07:27 NKD

Yawn. Colladoody.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer
5. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer Jul 10, 2013, 21:38 NKD

Plundering booty day one.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
8. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 12:42 NKD

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:11:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre. I cannot think of anything more uninteresting and un-fun than a MOBA in all of gaming. Run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, oh the enemy is down there now! Run down there at the enemy, run away from the enemy, use item that allows you to run at the enemy for a slightly longer time! Run away from the enemy, rinse/repeat.

Stalemate Simulator 2013

It's kind of weird though. Even though most of the people on my Steam friends list play Dota 2 or some other similar game, they drop it at the first sign of any other game to play. It's like filler or something. I can't really think of a genre that is similar in that way.

Also, to be quite frank, all my Dota 2 playing friends seem to suck at everything else we play.

News Comments > Star Citizen Campaign Soars
15. Re: Star Citizen Campaign Soars Jul 8, 2013, 17:31 NKD

ItBurn wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 16:16:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 15:15:
Wow 1 million dollars for an extra button on your ship and another million for a tacked on arena mode.

Talk about diminishing returns.

I'm actually glad they're adding so little. Means they can keep the cash for the original features for which I think they underappreciated how much money they'll need.

Yeah. It's not like these companies are actually setting aside thousands and thousands of bucks to add some particular feature. The money just goes into the pot. Stretch goal additions are just a little added incentive, you're not actually "buying" that feature for a million bucks.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 14:26 NKD

ViRGE wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:58:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

Yeah. I can see how some people might be inconvenienced, but quite frankly with the amount they'd spend repairing this, they'd never get it paid back. It's not like Verizon summoned the fucking hurricane, or lost their infrastructure due to incompetence. If NY wants them to rebuild the landlines they lost through no fault of their own, so badly, maybe they should foot some of the bill?

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo