Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3425 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 23:49 NKD

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 21:11:
Yeah, people get that, but talking about safety directly after an assault has happened is crass and demonstrates a lack of decency.

Alright, what's the appropriate waiting period after a crime before we're allowed to discuss proper safety precautions at major events?

It's not like we're having this discussion on the girls Facebook page. Her recovery and well-being are not impacted by people elsewhere having a discussion about safety. I'm sure she's got all the sympathy and support she could hope for during this shit.

Also, come to think of it, when the fuck else are we supposed to have the conversation on this site? I'm not going to go back and dig up this post a month from now and expect people to read anything I've posted. On Blue's, we can only reasonably discuss a topic on the post that actually brings it up. The forum part of the site isn't exactly popular.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 15:59 NKD

Jivaro wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:48:
It will always boggle my mind this instant reflex or need that people seem to have....when they hear someone has been beaten or raped or whatever...to firstly ask "what did they do to make themselves a target". Blows my mind every time. As if it matters.

It's not about blaming her or whatever, it's about using the situation to teach others. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation that reinforces the need to educate people on the buddy system and safety in numbers when attending events.

This could happen to anyone, not just teens, not just girls. EVERYONE needs to take basic safety precautions at these types of events.

It matters. If a little education can prevent more people from being victimized, it absolutely matters.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 14:37 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 14:26:
I don't know. A lot of people think of rape as being a crime of physically overwhelming someone. They think of rapists as being a guy in a dark park waiting for some jogger to run by.

Well, lacking any more details, this does seem to fall more into that category. Of course we don't know if she was raped, or what, but she was certainly attacked and beaten. This obviously wasn't a case of some drunken college students being dumbasses. That usually doesn't end in a girl bloody and unconscious on a street with no ID.

There isn't any legal gray area regarding beating some girl and leaving her in the street, so I think that discussion is a bit of a sidetrack.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 14:19 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:57:
Well, the whole thing with "rape culture" is that you hear so much about what women should do to avoid being raped, but you rarely hear a guy being told "don't rape."

I rarely hear people being told not to murder other people either. But they still, in general, don't do it. Pretending men need education that rape is wrong is giving these fuckers a free pass. They know damn well its wrong. As does every guy who isn't a sociopath. With the exception of bumfuck Africa where some voodoo witchdoctor is telling everyone raping a virgin cures AIDS, rape isn't about ignorance or culture it's about being a shitty human being.

Yes, there are some things you can do that are stupid. If you drink, drive, and crash into a tree, you're stupid and your actions led to your suffering. If you go out to a bar, don't drink, drive home at 1:30 am and are hit by a drunk driver, yes, you could have avoided the roads when a significant portion of drivers are drunk, but does that mean that you deserve blame?

While it's statistically less safe to be driving in such a situation, there's not much you can do to avoid it other than just hiding in your house and forgoing a night out with friends.

Here's two different scenarios:

You're hit by a drunk driver, you weren't wearing your seatbelt.
You're hit by a drunk driver, you were out at 1:30AM and there were more drunk drivers on the street.

In the first scenario, you failed to take a basic safety precaution. You weren't being oppressed or discriminated against by being encouraged to wear a seatbelt. It's okay to expect people to take basic precautions to ensure their own safety.

In the second scenario, you took basic safety precautions. The only thing you could have done to avoid it is to refrain from taking part in a perfectly normal activity. It's NOT okay to expect people to refrain from their normal day to day behaviors, or avoid having fun, because it's technically more risky.

This girl may have had sexual relations with a 29 year old at Comicon. And she may have then ended up beaten and bloody in a street. One of those does not inherently lead to the other. I'll wager more than a handful of guys here have ended up at a strange location having sex with someone they only just met. It didn't end up with them bloody in a street.

So to relate this girls situation to my previous example. It's okay to expect her to take basic precautions like distrusting strangers and sticking with a group. I try to take these same precautions at cons and sporting events and I am a large, strong male. It's NOT okay to expect her to dress conservatively or forgo attendance at the event entirely.

One is a needless risk taking behavior that can be avoided without much trouble. The other isn't a significant risk factor and would place undue burden on the girl to avoid.

It's not black & white bro. Hiding in your house to avoid dying in a car accident is stupid, wearing your seatbelt to avoid dying in a car accident is smart.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:40 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:31:

Moral of the post doesn't seem to be "hey, guys, don't beat 17 year old girls and leave them bloody in the street," but "hey, 17 year old girls, don't have fun skimpily dressed with your friends at a place full of skimpily dressed people because some guy may beat you."

Yeah, seems that way. I'm all for personal responsibility. I think this girl did make a shitty decision, not that it excuses this guys behavior, but lets at least point out the decision she made that actually put her at risk. Instead of the one that doesn't comport with conservative values regarding sexuality.

How do you avoid getting fucked over at a major event? SAFETY IN NUMBERS. You can be wearing fucking pasties and a Tribble from Star Trek over your snatch and be perfectly safe at a con, as long as you stay in a group. Or you could be wearing normal street clothes and end up a victim because you weren't in a group.

Women are much more likely to be victimized by strangers on the street. It's a simple fact. What they are wearing doesn't really swing that statistic at all. Where they are, and the fact that they are alone accounts for all the risk.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 13:23 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:17:
But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't know about you, but I don't make decisions based on the "worst that could happen." I make decisions based on "what's most within the realm of possibility." The worst that could happen is I die or am permanently injured. The problem is that's the "worst that could happen" for literally everything I do.

If you cannot show that a decision significantly increases your chances of a negative consequence, you cannot call it bad judgement. A cosplayer, particularly one who doesn't go hang out in an alley by herself or run off with some strange guy, is safer at Comic Con than you are driving to work. There simply isn't any data to show that cosplayers are at a significantly higher risk of assault than the general populous.

Dressing slutty = Possibly distasteful depending on the context and your morality, but not poor judgement.

Running off by yourself during a major event = VERY poor judgement.

The fact that you chose to skirt that particular point with empty rhetoric doesn't do you any favors either.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 12:49 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 11:50:
Ehh, that's probably too harsh (not knowing all of the particulars). Still, someone exhibited bad judgement here, and I have a hard time blaming a kid for it (because that's the definition of kid). Too bad other folks weren't looking out for her, too.

I wasn't aware that a 17 year old wearing a skimpy cosplay outfit to a major con was bad judgement. Hindsight is 20/20, but generally speaking it's a pretty safe activity to partake in, compared to other activities 17 year olds get up to. It's not like cosplayers are found bloody and unconscious in the streets in any significant numbers.

Some cat calls, creepshots, and staring? To be expected. Beaten and blooded in the street? Not a likely foreseeable outcome.

From what we've heard so far, her only mistake was running off by herself and not sticking with friends. That's a bad thing to do at a major event regardless of what you're wearing or what's between your legs. I got robbed outside a Seahawks away game one time and I'm a fairly intimidating male. If I had been with 4 or 5 other people, I doubt a lone guy would have stepped to me with a knife.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 08:20 NKD

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:04:
Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

According to your own link, current case law in the US does NOT support first sale doctrine for software licenses per Verner v Autodesk, and EULA clauses that grant you a limited license are valid.

It's a different story in Europe, but that's had basically zero practical implications as yet. Having a legal right to transfer ownership doesn't mean that a third party has a legal obligation to actively facilitate a transfer of ownership.

And that's all putting aside the fact that First Sale Doctrine has absolutely nothing to do with games-as-service. If you buy software reliant on a service to be operational, then it doesn't matter whether you own it, or are merely licensing it: Once the service is dead, it's a useless pile of bits.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 00:10 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 21:30:
I've been saying this for a while now. So much of videogaming history will be lost to the ages because of dying hardware and more recently online server requirements. There are ways around a lot of these things but in 25 years will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 2? Maybe, but the real question is will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 3? Whether or not someone 25 years from now would want to play such ancient games (by future standards) isn't the point - this is our gaming HISTORY. Nobody values the Liberty Bell based on well it rings, nor do they judge the value of the USS Missouri based on how it could perform in a modern-day sea battle.

I don't think games are that different from anything else in that regard. A lot of things from history are lost. In fact, most of them. All we have are second hand accounts, photos, in some cases videos. It doesn't make them less relevant or make history disappear. Sure, there are plenty of individual events that have been straight up forgotten with no record. But the big picture of how things have unfolded over time hasn't been lost. History still exists.

As you said, there aren't a lot of people interested in playing 25 year old games, but screenshots and videos are being made. Screenshots and videos that people are more than capable of archiving.

I'd say there'll be more evidence and historical information on games than there has been on a lot of other things. So I'm not worried about the historical aspect at all.

From the perspective of someone who has actually played games that are gone and unplayable in their "true" form (MMOs in particular) I feel that my memories of playing those games are more important to me than the ability to go back and play them.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
13. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 29, 2014, 04:35 NKD

Guy probably spent a lot of hours on his game, and when it didn't sell, he felt he had wasted a lot of time and effort and let his emotions go unchecked. Some quotes from the article:

So overall we got $1600 form IR bundle, $1500 will come from steam and thatís all we have earned. There is $400 in the impulse account but I donít think we will get that because the payment cut out is $500 and there is no possibility of making another 100 over there. So thatís it we made 3 grand.

You might regret your decision of not giving the keys, the bundle owners will get angryÖ?
I think we already have a reason to regret. And trust me with just 300 copies sold and sale is complete dry we are already rotting into the hell.

So it sounds like the guy just has lost all hope for the project and just doesn't give a shit anymore. He also basically said that he's not going to be able to start another project given that he lost money on this one, so what does his reputation matter?

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
12. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 17:42 NKD

Modders are such drama queens.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 27, 2014, 16:12 NKD

Gotta get ten more copies of Skyrim for some inexplicable reason.  

News Comments > BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal
11. Re: BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal Jul 25, 2014, 13:30 NKD

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 12:50:
NKD wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 11:25:
Eh you guys need to take your fucking pills. This is interesting and different than what we've seen from Bioware in the past, and it's a new IP. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

The IP may be interesting, but the trailer is fucking terrible. As are most of EA's trailers, especially the ones they make for Bioware.

And seeing as how it will need to fit in the Bioware mold of you being the chosen hero who can do something that no one else can, and while doing that you gather up a team of plucky and witty souls to help you visit the four locations you'll need to Set Shit Straight(tm), we'll have to wait and see on how different it really is.

Ehh Bioware usually prefers some 20 billion dollar cinematic that takes up half the game budget. I guess what I'm saying is that the kind of half-assed live action teaser thing is new for Bioware.

And as you said, Bioware is formulaic as hell, so I'll take any sign of them changing things up a bit, even if its a bit superficial.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 25, 2014, 11:31 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 22:05:
Wow, a few more nails in the KS coffin.

"Guy who made one of thousands of penny ante game Kickstarters caught in unrelated scandal! In other news, Polygon writes article that doesn't actually say anything."

Yeah, that's really the nail in Kickstarter's coffin. They are doomed now.

News Comments > BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal
4. Re: BioWare Teases Gamescom Shadow Realms Reveal Jul 25, 2014, 11:25 NKD

Eh you guys need to take your fucking pills. This is interesting and different than what we've seen from Bioware in the past, and it's a new IP. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.  

News Comments > Op Ed
84. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 17:38 NKD

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 09:26:
NKD wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 06:53:
The flavor of feminism that is prevalent on the Internet today straight up isn't working. The Internet is more toxic for women than it has ever been, and like I said, people are becoming polarized instead of working together to find solutions.

This is in regards to the recent new hire at Giant Bomb but I think TotalBiscuit hit the nail on the head. There are important issues in games like representation that should be discussed but the discussion has become so dominated by bull-headed people on both sides who only think in binary absolutes and treat even mild disagreement as a call to war that a lot of reasonable participants are just throwing up their hands and saying "I don't agree with either of you so I'm out." That's quickly what I'm becoming.

Just listened to that bit from TB, and he's really right on there. There's no point in even having the discussion anymore. The douchebags and the Tumblr SJWs can just fight it out amongst each other and accomplish nothing. Those of us who are reasonable, rational human beings are giving up on the subject.

You're either a woman hating bigot, or a beta pussy whipped faggot. Well I'm tired of being called either one of those, so good luck folks you're on your own.

News Comments > Op Ed
76. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 06:53 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 05:30:
@NKD

You didn't even read the article, did you. How can you say she's OVERstating the case? She's describing ACTUAL events that happened to her and others. How is that OVERstating?

If you think they're making the problem bigger than it seems, starting today let's take 23% of your salary and give it to a woman at your work that does the same job as you. You'd be FINE with that right? You'd not complain, or tweet, or write blog posts, or anything, right? Because that would be making the issue bigger than it seems, RIGHT?

I see, you support gender equality articles, but just not THIS article, with all of it's truth and personal experience. You'd prefer polite, mealy-mouthed, watered down articles that don't effect your sensibilities or challenge your assumptions, because that's what has always worked in civil rights issues like this: politeness and asking nicely. Seriously, what fucking planet are you from?

Nice, Brianna is a radfem, because she's been verbally accosted and threatened by internet sexists and had the balls to write about it. Yup, she should have just kept her mouth shut. And stayed in the kitchen.

Look, I get it. You want nuance, subtlety, reasoned debate. Well, let me welcome you to the real world. That's not what works. What works is in-your-face smashing of biases and forcing change on people. No one gives up power willingly, and the white males that rule this planet hold so much more power than everyone else. That you're in that cohort and defending it makes perfect sense, but realize it for what it is: you are the oppressor, the ruling class, the dictator, and the masses are rising to take your power. You can either choose to recognize your position and share power willingly, or you can have it taken from you like a screaming child. It's your choice.

Firstly, I think I failed to differentiate my critique of this article in particular with my critique of the general attitude I see out there. You are right that this specific article is not a particularly strong example of radical ideology, exaggeration, or appropriating someone else's much more serious cause to lend weight to their own. Especially by Polygon standards who are kings of clickbait. But those issues are pervasive and counter-productive.

Another thing you were right about: politeness and asking nicely doesn't accomplish anything when it comes to equality issues. Charismatic leaders who are able to sway opinions and get people to introspect and question their own beliefs do. Clickbait articles and strawman comments that make people want to give you the Oberyn Martell makeover aren't particularly inspiring or introspective. People just stop listening.

The flavor of feminism that is prevalent on the Internet today straight up isn't working. The Internet is more toxic for women than it has ever been, and like I said, people are becoming polarized instead of working together to find solutions.

Unless you're willing to take up arms and start killing people, your only way to affect change is to convince people you are right. If they aren't listening, they can't be convinced. The goal is to convert, not alienate. You can't avoid alienating the extremists at either end of the spectrum, but you want to swing those folks in the middle, not piss them off.

Do you really think preaching to the choir is the way to get things changed?

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 04:28 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 23:30:
PropheT wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 23:25:
It sure seems worse now than it used to be [...]

Seriously? Platform/console-wars are nothing like what they used to be in my opinion. But that could just be because as an adult I'm more removed from them. Kids have more of a stake because they're often stuck with just one platform/console and feel they need to defend their (or their parents') choice.

And as far as Blue's goes, I seem to remember this place being far more staunchly PC in the past. These days the console topics are sometimes more discussed than the PC ones.

I think it's more an issue of being more removed from the subject than people getting any less ridiculous about platform of choice. If anything, it's worse. I was never threatened with violence for liking SNES over Genesis. At worst I was called a fag. I never had anyone send a SWAT team to my house becausely I publicly stated a controversial opinion on the subject, etc.

The little teenagers fighting the console wars these days are more vile and vindictive than ever.

News Comments > Boss Key Staffs Up
6. Re: Boss Key Staffs Up Jul 24, 2014, 04:23 NKD

|RaptoR| wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 02:58:

Just don't get it.

The guy basically has no love for the fundamentals of PC gaming. He just doesn't care about it as a platform, nor does he share the ideals that a lot of PC gamers have regarding business models and other important topics. It's especially disappointing since, as you said, he had a strong presence in the PC realm early on.

News Comments > Op Ed
73. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 03:52 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 02:15:

"When people say too much about this topic, people stop listening."

Because shutting up is going to fix this issue? Both people and the news industry have serious ADD. The only way to move forward is to keep it in the public eye. And it's like Gandhi said, "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." I'm seeing all three in this thread, so that's progress at least.

It's not about how much you say. It's about not overstating your case. Nobody with a brain can argue that women have equality to men. They simply fucking don't.

But making a problem seem bigger than it really is, or trying to compare it to much more serious problems elsewhere in the world, just turns people off to your ideas. Fixing income inequality in the US isn't going to stop a single woman from being raped to death in Africa, so trying to draw those parallels feels disgusting and belittles the plight of people who have higher priority problems.

If you could fix the problem on your own, you wouldn't need to write articles about it. It would just get fixed. The whole point of writing an article is to education and raise awareness regarding an issue. You're trying to swing public opinion to your way of thinking. Since you don't have a bully pulpit or the ability to brainwash people, you need to be accurate and intellectually honest. The Tumblr style Social Justice Warrior routine turns you into a parody of your own cause and gets you dismissed even by people who AGREE with the fundamentals of your cause.

And then you're left where you started. The only people caring being people directly affected because you've pissed away the empathy of other people by being ridiculous.

Gender inequality is something worthy of writing articles about. It SHOULD be kept in the public eye. But the rampant sensationalist headlines, over the top blog pieces, and generally anything posted by Polygon just make me physically tired of even talking about the subject. I can't muster up the energy to care anymore because realistic and practical viewpoints about how to improve things are shouted down by wildly exaggerated and idealistic ones.

I feel like that on many issues these days. Internet discussion has just become a cesspool of escalating extremism. An arms race to see who can be more ridiculous, in this case the radfems, or the women-hating douchebags. And everyone else is left just sighing and walking away.

3425 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo