Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
33. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 19:26 NKD

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 16:31:
NKD wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 16:04:
Phil Fish is an idiot and a waste of oxygen. He needs to hurry up with his psychotic break and just step in front of a train ASAP so the rest of us don't have to deal with his constant whining about the occasional criticism.
Sarcasm or not, telling someone who is obviously in need of mental health services to kill themselves is a horrible thing to say.

Fish is fine with telling people to kill themselves, so I'm fine with telling him to do it. Plus it's not like he's actually going to read any of this. He's already curled up in a ball with an iPhone letting the pain roll in via social media.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fez II Cancelled
4. Re: Fez II Cancelled Jul 28, 2013, 16:04 NKD

Phil Fish is an idiot and a waste of oxygen. He needs to hurry up with his psychotic break and just step in front of a train ASAP so the rest of us don't have to deal with his constant whining about the occasional criticism.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 19:56 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 18:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:52:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.

7680x1440 is still dicey in some games/settings on my triple SLI setup :/ People getting excited for "4k gaming" are in for a rude awakening when they realize how inadequate even the best PC hardware is for the job.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2013, 19:36 NKD

SS wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 07:04:
The fact that the guy describes Mortal Kombat as a good videogame film, makes it sound like they've set really low standards.

Mortal Kombat was literally the only good one to ever be made, so it's hard to find other examples. But let's be honest here, doing a good Mortal Kombat movie SHOULD be easy. After all, it's just a martial arts movie with a fantasy/scifi skin.

Something like Deus Ex is a much bigger challenge, which is why I suspect suckage.

Their only hope for a good movie is to just pull the basic setting from the franchise and not try and tell the same stories in film format.

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
34. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 23:41 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 22:17:

I said it is beyond my comprehension, so why are you trying make me comprehend????

It is impermissible to flail in willful ignorance!!

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
38. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 23:36 NKD

Krizzen wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 21:50:
Blizzard has had the privilege to operate independently when they were owned by Davidson and Associates and that carried over to when they were owned by Vivendi. Now that Activision owns controlling interest in Blizzard, I fear that Blizzard has now lost it's independence. So if you guys think their situation is bad now, it's only just begun.

You're a little late to the party, Blizzard hasn't had independence for five years. Vivendi flushed all that down the toilet when they merged them with Activision.

That said, I don't really believe in the idea that companies I like can do no wrong, and if they fuck up it must be something they were forced into by the corporate overlords.

It's convenient isn't it? Do it right, get the credit. Do it wrong, people blame some meddling corporate hierarchy.

25. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:02 NKD

PropheT wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:16:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:37:
BitWraith wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 09:57:
FTP games are chiseling away at WoW. Those 600k over that quarter are a direct result of Rift going FTP. Rift is a quality game, and I doubt it will stop at 600k. WoW needs to look into a new business model.

Somehow i doubt rift gained 600k subs directly from wow.

Have you logged on recently? The game is full even at 2am lately. Not that I'm saying all 600k directly came from WoW, but the influx of people was huge, and they had to come from somewhere.

They may have come from WoW at some point, there are tens of millions of ex-WoW players to choose from, after all, and Rift just went free to play.

I'm guessing most of the people who just joined Rift haven't played WoW in years.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock
14. Re: Activision Blizzard Buys Back Stock Jul 26, 2013, 12:13 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 11:19:
But they get to keep their new billion $ debt.. haha... pwned by Vivendi in all ways possible....

Nope. This happened INSTEAD of the cash-grab. Vivendi gets the cash they need, and Actiblizz gets to keep like $3 billion in cash and are no longer in danger of being raided by Vivendi.

13. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 11:13 NKD

Not really surprising. The game is 9 years old and a lot of the people who were ever going to play, have already played and gotten bored. This level of subscriptions are not sustainable in a game this old no matter what they do.

Unless you're serving a niche with no real competition (EVE for example) you're eventually going to start bleeding subs pretty badly. Tweaks to your gameplay or whatever are not going to cause you to bleed millions of subs in a year, or prevent it for that matter.

People get bored, other games come out. I'm sure some of the free 2 play fodder plays a part, but honestly it seems like most people who've quit WoW have quit MMOs entirely.

What do I see my former WoW guildmates playing on Steam or talking about on our forums? Not Rift. Not GW2. It's Dota 2, or League of Lesbians, or Civ 5, etc.

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:42:
That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

15 dollars isn't much if it's the only MMO you're paying for. Especially if it eats up your time and keeps you from buying other titles. And not everyone playing, not even the majority, are old school players. Most have only been playing for a couple years and haven't really had the burn out hit yet. WoW has insane churn. When I last played, no one on my friends list from before 2009-2010 or so played anymore.

If you look at these 7.7 million subs as being most people late to the game, it's more understandable as to why they are still playing.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 11:23.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 25, 2013, 23:54 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 23:25:
Someone remind me why that guy decided to jump ship from Microsoft to Zynga? I assume it involved a large sack of cash but still, damn.

Probably got run out of MS for bungling the Xboner launch.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month
16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Tomorrow, New Harebrained Kickstarter Next Month Jul 25, 2013, 05:33 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 04:34:
Sho wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 21:41:
I'll probably wait for the native Linux release, with all the gaming goodness coming towards Linux of late I just can't be arsed to boot Windows anymore. Well, the Windows version would presumably run via Wine too, so maybe I'll crack depending on how the echo develops, but native is a bit nicer.

Gaming goodness? On Linux? Say what? About 99% of PC games still don't have Linux support.

On a side note, I hope that Shadowrun gets quicksave patched in. Checkpoint saving in an RPG is retarded.

Frankly I think it should be up to the module author where the saves are.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Founder Resigns; Blasts Square Enix
6. Re: Eidos Montreal Founder Resigns; Blasts Square Enix Jul 24, 2013, 21:38 NKD

Shut up and tell me when the next real DX game is coming.  

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
14. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 13:02 NKD

MattyC wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 12:33:
How in the world did they manage to rack up that much debt while owning Blizzard and Activision? Were they totally unable to get income from them under the prior agreement?

Vivendi is a big company. Actiblizz makes up like less than a fifth of their revenue overall. The rest of that equation is where everything went sideways.

7. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 09:38 NKD

Darks wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 09:22:
By the time Vivendi is finished with their account, Blizzard will be a shadow of its self and a wiped out company. I never understood why they sold out to this trashy company to begin with. Now the Execs are going to raid it and run off with their pockets filled to some remote island and retire a fat cat.

That's not really how it happened. Blizzard ended up with Vivendi in 1998 after like 4 or 5 corporate buy-outs in a span of 4 years.

They were bought out by one company in 1994. That buyout effectively rescued the company and allowed them to finish Warcraft. That company was bought by another, then that company merged with another, which then sold that bit of their company to another company which got bought by Vivendi.

It's not like Blizzard sat down and said "Oh Vivendi is a good choice!"

News Comments > EA Financial Results
14. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 24, 2013, 09:32 NKD

But I don't understand, EA was voted worst company in the multiverse, how are they still making money? Oh right, because no one puts their money where their mouth is.

People need to grow a pair.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2013, 09:24 NKD

Confucius say, "If you don't want to be called a faggot and told to die in a fire, don't work on a game designed for 15 year old proto-neckbeards."  

1. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 09:22 NKD

Don't really have an understanding of all this financial mumbo-jumbo and the article didn't really help much.

I'm guessing this will sink more than a few projects though.

News Comments > Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year?
29. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 20:31 NKD

s1mon75 wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 20:00:
This is why the US and Australia suck balls and why Europe is fucking awesome. Europe supports its citizens interests while the Australian and US governments are all for protecting big business, at the expense of its citizens.

If only it were that simple. Europe protects big business as long as it's European big business.

18. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 14:25 NKD

Dev wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 14:20:
NKD wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:25:
That's basically the issue. Even if they somehow force Steam to offer a used game store (which is a questionable proposition at best), they can't force publishers to offer their titles on Steam.
Why would it be questionable? Its their law.
It wouldn't matter to the publishers about steam at that point, because as soon as steam is forced, other digital distribution platforms will have to do the same thing.

It's questionable because while striking down a policy that forbids used games sales is easy, a court may not go so far as to mandate the creation of a used games marketplace, or indeed deal with all the ways publishers could give this idea the middle finger and make it technically unfeasible.

Remember that the court ruling they are basing this off of only says that the transfer of rights cannot be legally opposed, not that it need be actively facilitated.

15. Re: Steam Game Resale EU Court Case This Year? Jul 21, 2013, 14:19 NKD

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:41:
NKD wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 13:25:
Instead of selling 500,000 copies, a developer sells 50,000 that just get recycled over and over again for eternity. You don't see this with console games because there's an inconvenience factor and the most convenient way has an annoying middle man that takes most the money. (Gamestop, most commonly)

But unlike used game sales at GameStop, every transaction on the Steam Community Marketplace gives 10% to the developer of the game involved. So even if only 10% of potential sales actually happened in the store (I doubt that), each one being passed around a few dozen times over the life of the game, could result in the same or greater amount of revenue. I'd be interested to see results from a test run or two of that kind of tradeability, though it would probably have to be Valve themselves allowing a mid-range release like Ricochet 2 or something to be resold amongst users first.

I don't think you can make assumptions like "cheap from players or expensive from publisher," though. Unlike the existing virtual doo-dads that have no value except what the market will bear, a copy of a digital game that just released for $50 is almost guaranteed to be resold for pretty darn close to that. You'll still have people undercutting each other to get a faster sale, but only a [charitable] moron would put a brand new game up there for $20. It's like buying physical copies of brand new games on eBay; people get them however they get them, and sell them just under retail because it sells fast and the buyer gets a better deal.

Besides which, reselling is only for the average so-so, run-through-once-and-done type of game. You're not going to have people buying and then turning around and selling the next Elder Scrolls or GTA or etc. in the first week, unless it turns out they tried it and genuinely didn't like it. Publishers will still spend millions encouraging pre-orders, and they'll still get their first-day or -week sales spikes. Some people might buy the new COD or Battlefield for the single-player campaign, play through in a day or two, and then sell it, but the majority will be holding on to their copies for multiplayer.

And you can't ignore the fact that the ability to resell will make people a LOT more willing to buy and try games they otherwise wouldn't. Which brings me back to the original point, that giving it a life of "used" game sales on the community marketplace very well could generate more money for the developer/publisher based on the royalties from swapping owners over and over again, than the smaller base of full-price purchasers at first and then the larger base of $5 or under people later on.

Yeah we'd have to see what kind of cut the publishers would actually want off widespread used sales. It would probably be dependent on how much their first-run sales are impacted. If they see their overall revenue tanking, that will be bad for everyone as they find other ways to monetize their titles, or just pull out of Steam, or worse, PC entirely.
TheEmissary wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 14:15:

We have yet to see the fallout of this yet, for all we know the law could apply to DLC as well. This could get extremely messy fast when you think about all the games that have accounts/keys for DRM purposes. It is unclear if they will be even allowed to add a transaction fee for the sale of used games.

If they were barred from taking a cut for themselves or developers, that would basically sink the whole concept. A peer-to-peer free for all isn't going to fly.

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo