Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3216 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
42. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 22:42 NKD

PropheT wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:03:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

I love MMO's, and play or have played most of them. After trying Wildstar again today I don't have anything positive to say about it, and I usually at least kind of like practically anything that's competent. Aside from the art and animations there really isn't anything I enjoyed about in my time I spent with it, and it still has the worst UI of any game I've played in recent memory even after they updated it.

I want to like it but really, really can't get into it at all. This game was hyped all to hell and it just sucks.

What level did you get to?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 21:43 NKD

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:52:
How many people would you estimate raid in WoW? Thousands? Millions?

It's hard to come by good numbers but looking here it looks like there are several hundred thousand in WoW who raid on the Normal or Heroic level (excluding the people who just queue for LFR or do Flex which doesn't really count.)

Plus that's just people who've raided in the last two tiers of content. If my guild is any indication there are a lot of people who haven't raided in MoP who are interested in Wildstar.

I think if they play their cards right they can get a player base big enough to sustain their game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

34. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:40 NKD

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:32:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 13:04:
It will be a better raiding game for hardcore players who want a challenge, that I will say for sure.

I'm curious as to how many people that will actually bring to the table, though? Enough to sustain an entire MMO?

Time will tell, but they picked the right time to launch. WoW raiders are incredibly bored right now due to lack of content. Then Wildstar comes along, with hard dungeons and the promise of even harder raids, and a pretty clear focus. It's got all the stuff raiders want. It's not just a game that technically has raids, like SWTOR. There's already a pretty solid community forming around the game. There are a ton of add-ons already, logging sites, data mining sites, theorycrafting, all that stuff, to a degree I haven't really seen in a while. That's not to say all there is to do is raid, but the focus seems to be there. (The player housing system is really fucking cool though. That's something you don't see much.)

One guy was saying that MMOs need to appeal to as many players as possible, but I don't think that's really a feasible approach anymore. You cannot keep a huge player base around in the long term any more. MMO players want all kinds of different things in their MMOs, and they are not willing to settle for a one-size-fits-all MMO for more than a free month.

Keep your game design focused, and don't spend $300 million making the thing, and you can have a successful MMO with long term player retention. Yeah, some forum idiots are going to call your game a "failure" for not having 5 million subscribers, but as long as your game is profitable and your player base, after the launch bubble pops, is happy and supplied with content, you win.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 7, 2014, 21:10 NKD

Deus Ex - Every time you mention it, SOMEONE will implant it into their body.  

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
50. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 18:48 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:31:
And when those projects get cancelled, people who have already paid for the product in question gets refunds unless there is no one left to pay.

Eh, Early Access would just be terminated before they'd give refunds for Early Access titles that don't reach fruition. There are a lot of issues which make that impossible to really enforce in a fair fashion.

First Issue: how would you define a "release" version of the game? Are the developers required to implement every feature they've ever considered adding to the game? If they are just required to live up to what's on their Steam Store page, then it won't do any good because they'll just be super conservative in what they are promising. Couple example scenarios.

Scenario A) Developer underpromises, but despite not promising much, the game turns out disappointing. Developer lived up to his obligations, no refunds, even though everyone is super disappointed.

Scenario B) Developer overpromises, game turns out okay, but developer did not technically live up to his obligations, refunds for everyone!

It becomes a technicality issue rather than a customer satisfaction issue. Do you run a poll on overall customer satisfaction for the title? Who would vote yes when voting no means you get a refund?

Second Issue: games can remain in Early Access for long periods of time. That's enough time for a LOT of Early Access purchases and a lot of financial liability for Valve who have to refund out of their own pockets because getting money back from the developer would be damn near impossible.

Third Issue: Early Access titles are playable games, and many of them are in a state that you can get a lot of hours of enjoyment out of them. If it never reaches an enjoyable state, that's one thing. But otherwise it's like those scumbags who get a big screen TV at Costco for the Super Bowl and then return it for a full refund the next week.

Early Access needs to be understood by consumers to be a risky "early adopter" program, or it needs to be terminated. There is no way Valve can guarantee Early Access titles will meet all the hopes and dreams of the people buying it. And people need to decide accordingly whether to participate in Early Access or not.

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
57. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 23:55 NKD

Where do you think the money for the refunds came from? Valve. Assuming they've already paid some money out to the developer, they'll have to get that money back from him.  

54. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 23:27 NKD

Killswitch wrote on May 6, 2014, 23:19:

Your expression of "people who were stupid" is appalling and exactly what I had addressed in my previous post. You have absolutely no empathy for those who do not think the same way as you do. It sounds as though you are saying that people who want to rob others of their hard earned money are free to do so, as long as they are "stupid and ignorant". Your attitude, although not unique, is a huge problem for society and this attitude desperately needs to change.

You're blowing things way out of proportion. People were reimbursed and not overly inconvenienced. Nowhere did I state that stupid people should just be up shit creek. Obviously they are entitled to a refund, even if they do make poor purchasing decisions.

I just don't think the problem is severe enough to warrant any kind of heavy-handed new measures that might prevent or discourage indies from using Steam.

People say there is a problem, but the evidence doesn't show it. We have only a couple cases. You say that if one person can do it, so can anyone else, but they aren't. This is a rare situation, and the scenario played out exactly like it should. Products that were not as advertised were found out, pulled, and the victims compensated in a timely manner. And they probably learned a good lesson about smarter purchasing decisions to boot.

Let's talk about reality here and not hypotheticals.

51. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 22:57 NKD

Killswitch wrote on May 6, 2014, 22:41:
NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 22:17:
There ARE safeguards. People are getting full fucking refunds!

There needs to be safeguards before the crime is committed like I had originally stated. As it is now, Valve is reactive instead of proactive; this needs to change.

Why? No one has even explained why there is a problem. Steam has thousands of titles and you can count on one-hand the number that have been so problematic that mass refunds were necessary.

Why do a few outliers warrant some new and probably expensive testing system?

A product was released as an Early Access title. People who were stupid bought it, sight unseen, and suffered a minor inconvenience for doing so. People who were smart waited, saw that it was a stinker from a scam artist, and did not purchase. Steam pulled the title to prevent further people from falling prey to the scam and issued timely refunds.

I fail to see what's wrong with this scenario. It isn't a situation that happens often, and everything turned out okay in the end.

If there was an epidemic of scammers and fraudulent games, I could understand the need for new measures, but there isn't. So any solution would just cause more problems than it was actually solving.

I'd like to be able to make my own choices about which games are worth my time and money, and I'd like the convenience of having those be available on Steam.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials May 6, 2014, 22:25 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:07:
NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:01:
WoW is incredibly stale right now.

Not sure if serious.

Um, very serious. This is the longest it's been since a content update since the game was launched IIRC, and there are still months to go before the expansion. There's a very real chance that the game could go a full year without a single meaningful content update.

48. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 22:17 NKD

Killswitch wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:40:

And for anyone saying the victims get what they deserve... You're the epitome of society. This is exactly why there needs to be safeguards in place; because there's people like you in the world that have no empathy or remorse.

There ARE safeguards. People are getting full fucking refunds!

News Comments > WildStar Open Beta This Week
12. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:14 NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 6, 2014, 21:43:
If that is the only thing people can say, it negates every single post that says "Wildstar is better than ESO"

F that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Wildstar is better than ESO" but they are making an MMO game for MMO players, with a specific focus, and aren't spending 11,000 billion dollars making SWTOR 2.0.

They are trying to make a (relatively) niche title for people who enjoy challenging group and raid content, it's as simple as that.

Judging by the response to Wildstar from within my own guild, where we've got two 40-man rosters nearly filled already just based on what people have played in beta, I can say they've managed very well to recapture the feel that a lot of us are looking for.

It's not particularly innovative, but it does what it sets out to do.

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 22:00:

I was one of those who played WOW for many years, was in a very good guild and Raided all the time. I can tell you this now. 40 man raids Fuck that! Do you have any idea what itís like to try and get 40 people together at one time? Itís nearly impossible. You end up pugging it because you canít find everyone. And itís so fricking chaotic during battle and trying to coordinate everyone.

That is why WOW slimmed down the Raids to that they are now to make them manageable. Good luck with your 40 man Raids. Because that shit wonít last long you can bank on that.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how 40-man raiding worked. I also raided in much larger numbers than that in EverQuest. My guild skews significantly older than most of the MMO crowd so we've seen a lot and know precisely what we like and what we don't.

44. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 19:52 NKD

Overon wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:16:
And now that effect has been magnified and made worse. I think there is a middle ground between the extremes we are discussing.

And I don't think we're at an extreme. I think the current situation IS the middle ground. You can count on one hand the number of titles that were such a clusterfuck Valve had to pull them from sale.

There's no systemic problem here. Just a couple outliers.

Anything more than removing obvious fraudsters and false marketeers is equivalent to imposing an arbitrary standard which many Steam users may not agree with.

News Comments > WildStar Open Beta This Week
3. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 19:44 NKD

Darks wrote on May 6, 2014, 19:13:
So, I played this this past weekend and what a piece of shit game this is. Its fricking WOW in space for kiddies.

Warning: It's not really a good game for kiddies, they are focusing on group content, are bringing back 40-man raids, even a couple things that'll take more than a 40-man raid group to complete, supposedly.

The leveling curve isn't as fast as most modern MMOs, and with the focus on bringing back a "vanilla WoW" style of raiding, it'll be too hardcore for a lot of folks. Kiddies with attention deficit won't have too much fun in Wildstar, neither will the non-MMO players who insist on playing MMOs by themselves then complaining that they aren't having any fun.

39. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 19:06 NKD

Overon wrote on May 6, 2014, 18:53:
How did they do it then?

By excluding indie developers almost entirely. And they still had plenty of shitty games. No, there wasn't the occasional fraudster, but there were plenty of games that weren't even close to being good or worth the asking price.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials May 6, 2014, 19:01 NKD

Pretty easy to see that subscriber drop coming, given the huge lag time between the last content update and the new expansion. My guild has moved over to Wildstar for the time being. If it ends up sucking ass then we'll return to WoW at expansion time, but WoW is incredibly stale right now.  

37. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 18:42 NKD

Beamer wrote on May 6, 2014, 17:39:

No one wants a store to tell them what they can and cannot buy.

Yeah. I don't really want someone else's idea of what's worth selling dictated upon me. The way Valve deals with it is fine. They get a lot of customer complaints, they yank the title and issue refunds, and it doesn't happen that often to begin with.

The bottom line is that unless you're a complete moron foolishly not looking before you leap, Steam's current system works just fine for avoiding games that aren't what they claim to be.

It's certainly not an issue worthy of barring the doors to indie developers or hiring a fifty man testing team to play every game front-to-back and decide if its worthwhile or not, which except in rare cases is going to be pretty fucking subjective.

Did anyone here buy this title or even consider buying it after looking into it for a couple minutes? Considering that this was obviously a turd from the moment it went up, I really doubt it, so what's the whining about?

5. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 09:08 NKD

Task wrote on May 6, 2014, 09:01:

still hate reddit though

That there newfangled reddits always gettin on mah lawn.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order German Censorship Plans
1. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order German Censorship Plans May 5, 2014, 22:26 NKD

It's funny that despite all their ridiculous censorship/anti-Nazi-imagery laws, Germany is still one of the bastions of white supremacy.  

News Comments > Bethesda Seeks Testers
1. Re: Bethesda Seeks Testers May 5, 2014, 22:25 NKD

I dunno, are they gonna sue us if we take our testing know-how elsewhere after we're done?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 4, 2014, 19:17 NKD

jdreyer wrote on May 4, 2014, 15:08:
Creston wrote on May 4, 2014, 14:46:
Teehee, Skyrim!

I wonder if the bump is from people fleeing ESO?

Maybe. But you'd think most of the people fleeing the ESO trainwreck would have had Skyrim for ages at this point.

3216 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo