Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2863 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
17. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:56 NKD

Fion wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:50:

Yea that was pretty cool but the pessimist in me says I've seen that kind of 'feature buzz' before in early demo's that more often than not turn out to be entirely scripted. Still, it's a cool idea and if implemented well could make the world quite significantly dynamic.

Yeah I mean there's always the chance shit doesn't pan out the way they say, but I'm just excited that there's something NEW going on. I was so disappointed with what I saw from Elder Scrolls Online today, that this was such a breath of fresh air.

Hell, even if this game flops miserably, kudos to them for trying something new. Though hopefully it succeeds because if it doesn't, no one else will make the mistake of doing anything new ever again.

I'm most interested in what Georgeson was saying about the development process, and what Smedley was saying, about having a roadmap that is updated constantly, and tons of user polls about whether something sucks or not.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:55:
I haven't watched the stream yet, so maybe they covered this, but how do you prevent the psychopaths from permanently turning everything to rubble and nuking all the dungeon doorways in the first month?

The basic deformable terrain and stuff heals back after a while. The bigger changes come out of the Rallying Calls (which are like 3 month long public quests, think AQ gate opening in WoW only much more detailed and grand) and are huge endeavors that change things on a large scale.

They were saying that your gameplay experience on two different servers in the game could actually be SIGNIFICANTLY different based on how these Rallying Cries were going. Not just a few things changed, but significant differences from server to server in how the world looks and feels. We'll see if that is as good as they say however.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:48 NKD

Fion wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:44:

And the whole destrucable terrain, I'll believe it when I see it. What I saw was 2 characters run to stand on just the right spot so that when the elemental hit it, they fell into a mini-dungeon. I'm also hot happy that the game is largley quest based. Quest-based advancement belongs in a themepark, not a sandbox.

Did you see the video at the end of the live gameplay where they were fighting the uh... guy with the big white glowy spells again? The ground was getting deformed as the fight progressed and the floor actually wore all the way through in a few spots. It looked fully dynamic, not prescripted.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:37 NKD

Holy fuck! Destructible environments, multi-classing, building that absolutely destroys Minecraft, and what they've done with Forgelight in terms of environments is fucking amazing. A 3D world too. And by 3D I mean you can just fucking blast your way down to underground areas and shit.

Plus EQ Next Landmark coming out this winter, which is basically EverQuest MMO Minecraft, with certain areas that SOE-enforced to a certain theme where players can compete to build an area to pre-defined SOE specs, and the best one gets PUT IN THE REAL GAME.

This is so fucking Next that I am jizzing my pants right now. If they don't deliver on this, I swear to you all, and you can quote me on this, I will become the next Cutter and will hate everything in existence for the rest of my life.

If you haven't seen the stream, go watch it now. It was an hour of having my fucking mind blown. If you're expecting EQ3, you're gonna want to kill yourself though, be forewarned. This is clearly not a game designed around Raid Or Die.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2013, 12:31 NKD

mag wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 01:29:
nin wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 21:44:
Rigs wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 20:47:
I want to know one thing and one thing only...Freespace3?

=-Rigs-=

I seriously wonder (ignoring that they're currently owned by a publisher) if they put up a kickstarter for 1.5 - 2 million, if people would bite (as well as what kind of game we'd get for that amount).

I know I'd toss $100 at the screen.

Yeah. It'd be an insta-back for me, if it looked like it was being created by someone that looked like they could do it. Volition definitely counts.

Unfortunately, since the Interplay assholes, of all people, just bought the rights to Freespace for seven thousand dollars, it's pretty obvious that Volition isn't interested.

Well, remember that Interplay already had SOME kind of rights to Freespace. I don't remember if it was the name, or just the IP behind the name, or what. But I got the impression they were just "completing the set" and what was for sale wouldn't have actually been much use to anyone else on its own.

Could be wrong on that since it was all kind of vague.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
11. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Aug 2, 2013, 12:20 NKD

Quinn wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 05:10:
What's with this Aisha? I must have missed something because the entire web seems to enjoy the thought of killing the poor woman.

Her absolutely groanworthy performance as Ubisoft's presenter at E3. It was BAAAAD. Other than that, she seems like an okay chick.

2. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Aug 1, 2013, 15:52 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 15:17:
GO AWAY! I do not want to see you either, until you are released! But between this and AC4, Ubisoft is really going after the open world sandbox with a vengeance. Nice to see GTA and Saint's Row have some competition. Now if we can get Just Cause 3....

Ermahgerd Just Cause 3. That'd be just amazing.

I really like that momentum seems to be shifting away, to at least some extent, from corridor shooters with cutscenes at the end of each hallway.

But yeah, Watch Dogs can't come out soon enough.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II Vengeance DLC
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II Vengeance DLC Aug 1, 2013, 15:48 NKD

And not a single fuck was given.  

25. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 15:21 NKD

Have you people lost your minds? E3 was last month and the actual game was beautiful and running flawlessly on actual hardware. It's not like we're talking about pre-rendered shit and "in engine" bullshots here.

Tons of actual gameplay footage of the game looking amazing, and one joke trailer comes out (which by the way could easily have been bullshotted too if they wanted to) that doesn't look as good and you lose your damn minds.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2013, 15:46.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 31, 2013, 03:06 NKD

Meh, kinda skeptical of EQN... we'll see.  

12. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 03:06 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 02:35:
Are you kidding? I'd stuff her like a turkey!

Depends, would she be cracking horrible jokes during?

News Comments > Bully Re-TMed
5. Re: Bully Re-TMed Jul 31, 2013, 01:28 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 21:58:
Bully sucked.

Yup. And that might even be generous.

7. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Jul 31, 2013, 01:11 NKD

Aisha Tyler getting hit by a truck is just what I've been begging to see since E3.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2013, 17:45 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 13:30:
And that means at some point I can ditch my Windows machine.

Not to crush your dreams or anything, but I'm pretty sure we can find posts from right here on Blue's circa 1997 that say the same thing.

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Preorders Get Crusader Kings II & Save Converter
1. Re: Europa Universalis IV Preorders Get Crusader Kings II & Save Converter Jul 30, 2013, 17:25 NKD

Are there people who don't already have Crusader Kings 2? It's on sale every other week.  

News Comments > SOE Player Studio Item Creator
15. Re: SOE Player Studio Item Creator Jul 30, 2013, 17:22 NKD

InBlack wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 04:08:
This is exploitation pure and simple. Sure you can make "Grandfathers Dildo of Epic Proportions" and price it at 800$ but they wont select it or they will price it at 10 cents and you will be screwed. Boycot this shit because its exploitation!

Here's the thing: They already have player-created items in-game, so we already know how it works. You don't price it at all. They put it on their store for Station Coins, at the same price as all the other similar items.

Also, no one is being "exploited" and no one is "boycotting" jack shit .

6. Re: SOE Player Studio Item Creator Jul 29, 2013, 21:53 NKD

ViRGE wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 21:45:
NKD wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 21:19:
Players _making_ content is the natural extension of players _being_ content.
Whereas I've always held the opposite opinion. Players generally lack the means to create good content and the intuition to see how that content will play out. The result, especially in an RPG, will be (relatively) poorly modeled items that are not appropriately balanced and/or don't have a well designed role.

Which is not to say I'm against player created content altogether, but there's a huge gap between 3rd party mods and player content being siphoned into the base game.

Well these items are screened by the developers. Screening items is a lot quicker and easier on manpower than developing them from scratch. It's better this way so we don't end up with stupid anime and furry shit in every game. There's also more incentive to do a good job because you can actually make money if they implement your stuff and people buy it.

4. Re: SOE Player Studio Item Creator Jul 29, 2013, 21:19 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 21:00:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 29, 2013, 20:43:
I see this as pretty much the future of MMO content, crowd sourcing/steamworkshop etc.

That and user friendly editors like Cryptic's Foundry. It's stupid not to do it! When the content is gone most people move on - I certainly do. So why not let your community create it for you while you focus on assets and other things? The fact they weren't doing this to begin with always boggles my mind.

I really like the idea of MMOs getting back to being virtual worlds with real player interaction, not just RPGs where you see another person running around now and again. Players _making_ content is the natural extension of players _being_ content.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2013, 20:14 NKD

It needs people who are willing to say whatever’s on their minds despite how unpopular it makes them.

Sure, as long as they say it in a way befitting someone with a public image. Posting on some comment thread on some obscure gaming website and posting on your Twitter account with 80 gazillion followers are two very different things.

Saying what's on your mind in an absurdly inflammatory way only distracts people from your point, it doesn't reinforce it. That's fine here on Blues and elsewhere, but not when you're speaking to paying customers and business partners.

Indie developers have enough hurdles to climb without having to deal with being painted as whiny man-children who cannot conduct business with any professionalism or respect.

We complain about the antiseptic and aloof behavior of mainstream developers, who seem detached from their player base, but frankly I think the Phil Fish's of the world have swung way too far in the other direction to the point where if they aren't being worshipped and their dick sucked, they can't function.

1. Re: SOE Player Studio Item Creator Jul 29, 2013, 20:07 NKD

You get a 40% cut of the revenue from sales of it, too.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Still RC Down Under
10. Re: Saints Row IV Still RC Down Under Jul 29, 2013, 13:38 NKD

Does this actually stop anyone but the most casual of Australian gamers from getting and playing the game?  

2863 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo