Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2860 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Aug 16, 2013, 00:13 NKD

It's only a matter of time before one of these neckbeards on some mental illness spectrum decides body armor and guns are the solution to his issues with a game. Developers need to start taking their safety more seriously, too many nutjobs out there.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft
13. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 03:55 NKD

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 03:13:

Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft

Wow, talk about going in the wrong direction!

Well Dear Leader Gaben fired him with all those other folks back in February for whatever reason. Maybe he wore the wrong color robe or sacrificed the wrong animal at a staff meeting.

So I'd say MS is a nice place to land, considering.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2013, 23:25 NKD

Latest news from her EQ2 guild site is that she never left Vegas and lied about being on the way home and her credit card has been used in Vegas after the time she claimed to be in Albany, NY. Her friends and family are now convinced she has chosen to vanish.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 04:24 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:58:
Reducing the amount of employees that have god-mode access to the most sophisticated and wide reaching spy system ever developed is a good thing no matter where you stand on the topic.

I'd rather have more human eyes on it than less. The only reason we know about this shit with any certainty is because there was a human who saw what was going on and decided it wasn't right.

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:49:
And day by day America turns into Paranoia the RPG.

Yup. No way to stop it either. Americans are not willing to resort to the measures necessary to retake their privacy. As long as there are plenty of food and toys, Americans will take anything and everything (as a whole, there are always exceptions).

News Comments > Gaming Treadmill Preorders
4. Re: Gaming Treadmill Preorders Aug 11, 2013, 02:38 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 13:56:
Ok, the concept is fucking awesome, HOWEVER, if all it does it simulate you pressing WASD to move, space to hump, etc, it's not really that great. It needs in-game support to translate movement on a 1 to 1 basis. Plus, you have to wear special shoes? I have a hard time finding shoes in the right size as it is.

Hah, 1 to 1 basis. That'd get a lot of gamers to quit using it real fast when they realize how fat and slow they are. I know I wouldn't last long.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2013, 19:25 NKD

I'm hopeful that woman is safe. Usually when an adult woman like this goes missing, they don't want to be found or they've just been inconsiderate about going off the grid and didn't tell anyone.

Not always, but enough of the time that there is still some hope. It's not like a kid where if it's been 48 hours it 99% certain they are dead.

News Comments > $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition
28. Re: $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition Aug 9, 2013, 15:34 NKD

In for 2.  

News Comments > X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers
34. Re: X Rebirth in November; Specs; Trailers Aug 8, 2013, 16:59 NKD

Fuck yes!  

News Comments > John Carmack Joins Oculus VR
20. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 7, 2013, 12:24 NKD

This cannot come out soon enough.  

News Comments > Betrayer Announced
30. Re: Betrayer Announced Aug 6, 2013, 01:04 NKD

Is dysentery a playable character?  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 2, 2013, 22:50 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 22:38:
NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 21:28:
According to this interview I just linked it sounds like it's going to vary pretty wildly. Some stuff will regen quickly, some stuff slowly, some stuff only if someone does something to intentionally repair it, and some stuff stays busted forever if they want it to.

On the slower stuff I hope the aftermath still is inviting and works because I have no chance with some of these mmo-hounds of ever being first, ever.

" The good news is that EverQuest Next will be somewhat of a return to the roots of the genre so players will have an 8 skill hotbar. "
- Really?

Yeah kinda like the original EQ had I guess. You could mem a certain number of spells at once or hotkey a certain number of things. Frankly the games where you have to cover your entire screen in hotbars like EQ2 are just obscenely lame. In EQN you get 4 abilities from your class, and then 4 abilities from your weapon. Each class has two weapons. So 12 abilities per class. Times 40 classes. And with the multiclassing, I don't know how that all plays out.

Picking your ability loadout is going to be more crucial than ensuring you have 27 abilities on hotkeys.

That shit was lame anyway. EQ2 has you put about 5-6 times the number of abilities in your 'rotation' as World of Warcraft does, but World of Warcraft is harder to master because the skills interact in a more meaningful way and there are nuances to the simple priorities/rotations that don't exist in EQ2. In EQ2 you can pretty much one-button macro your whole rotation and no one will notice.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 2, 2013, 21:28 NKD

Some more info here
http://youtu.be/b2P4ahDOsMk

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 21:06:

So in other words it really makes no difference because they won't last anyway. Oh well, I should have known better than to get my hopes up.

According to this interview I just linked it sounds like it's going to vary pretty wildly. Some stuff will regen quickly, some stuff slowly, some stuff only if someone does something to intentionally repair it, and some stuff stays busted forever if they want it to.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2013, 21:37.

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
38. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 19:53 NKD

Nate wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 19:36:
I'm wondering if this is heavily instanced because of the voxel use. So its a MMO where all the excitement is played in a small group.

Interestingly, so far they haven't mentioned any instancing. I'm sure there will be some for dungeons and raids, but all the destructive crap they've talked about thus far happens in the open world and much of it (the underground stuff) is procedurally generated and regenerated so you can explore the open world and find new stuff everyday.

Also is it just me or did the human female look a lot like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite?

33. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 18:58 NKD

Rossafur wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 18:45:
(Sad 29 year old gamer, ha)

I'm almost 31 and I've avoided getting quite that jaded yet. We'll see about what happens when I hit 40!

26. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 18:18 NKD

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 18:01:
There are only specific places it will happen. It's not the entire game world, but very carefully constructed and placed.

False. There was deformation of the terrain everywhere. Just more subtle in areas where they weren't dropping a fuckton of spells. I suspect areas where the terrain can't be fucked with will be less than the areas where it can.

EQHammer wrote:
In terms of space available to be played in, EverQuest Next is larger than all the zones in EverQuest and EverQuest II combined. Between impressive use of verticality and digging, it will quite literally be the biggest sandbox game ever seen to date.

We’ll touch on this a bit more below, but there is a massive amount of underground content that is procedurally generated, but all based on the history and lore of its geographical locations. In many cases this can go three levels deep, so there is a lot of content to be discovered and, once found, will be different each time you play through it.

All of this is made possible by the fact that the entire world is destructible, so during surface combat you might literally punch a hole in the ground (or have one created by enemies) with a spell, or could simply begin digging down to see what’s there. When EverQuest Next Landmark releases later this year, players will be given tools that will give you a great idea of how all of this will work.

That fleshes out a bit of how it will work from a Q&A on EQHammer.

I admit some of the systems and concepts for this stuff sound good - in theory at least - but anyone who says this doesn't look like a complete knockoff of WoW meets GW2 - stylized toons/world, same combat model as GW2 - needs to take a reality pill.

Partially false. While you are correct that it is very stylized and isn't made of brown and grey and iron sights, so was the original EQ. When they tried to implement better models, no one used them. Combat wasn't demonstrated in any meaningful way. We saw a few cherrypicked more obnoxious abilities to showcase destructibility using invincible characters, against mobs with no AI turned on and no hitpoints, and a placeholder boss with more obnoxious destructo-moves. We didn't even see the user interface. If you think this is a sufficient demonstration of the combat system to pass judgement, I don't know what to tell you.

When I first saw that Kerran in the toon asian armor I thought they were showing a Tauren warrior in WoW as a comparison or something. I lol'ed at every comment in the Twitch channel where everyone started laughing and saying "Wow 2.0" simultaneously upon seeing that. Regardless of anything else they do with the game or how it pans out that is an epic mistake. Even the applause from the fanboys was lukewarm, polite applause at best. You could see the people there weren't impressed. All the races look like they've been pulled directly from WoW and Disneyfied up a bit.

Fair enough, pretty subjective shit here though.

Maybe the gameplay will impress, but how many times have we heard this same old song? Promise the moon and deliver up a handful of mud instead. Maybe we'll be surprised but I'm not going to hold my breath, and just the stylized look alone has knocked this off my radar now.

Yeah we'll have to see what the gameplay delivers.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2013, 18:24.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2013, 17:47 NKD

Yeah the shockjock thing needs to end. We need level-headed individuals giving reasoned reviews and analysis of what the fuck is going on in this industry.

What we don't need are a bunch of cult of personality situations where everyone worships at the altar of their favorite loudmouth Internet God who is more interested in fanning the flames and telling people what they want to hear than actual information.

23. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 17:42 NKD

Panickd wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 17:36:
I think it's going to depend on how well they launch it. If they fumble that it'll lose it's momentum and never recover.

Yup that's the key to every MMO. Your MMO is only worth what people thought of it for the first week or month it was out. If you don't stun them out of the gate, they will be harder to get back, and you will have peaked. You have to keep your players interested enough that the rate at which they get new people into your game is higher than the rate at which they leave.

F2P mitigates this a bit, since there's no barrier to coming back and checking it out after they've fixed things, but it's not a fix-all solution to a bad launch. It's just a bandage.

17. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:56 NKD

Fion wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:50:

Yea that was pretty cool but the pessimist in me says I've seen that kind of 'feature buzz' before in early demo's that more often than not turn out to be entirely scripted. Still, it's a cool idea and if implemented well could make the world quite significantly dynamic.

Yeah I mean there's always the chance shit doesn't pan out the way they say, but I'm just excited that there's something NEW going on. I was so disappointed with what I saw from Elder Scrolls Online today, that this was such a breath of fresh air.

Hell, even if this game flops miserably, kudos to them for trying something new. Though hopefully it succeeds because if it doesn't, no one else will make the mistake of doing anything new ever again.

I'm most interested in what Georgeson was saying about the development process, and what Smedley was saying, about having a roadmap that is updated constantly, and tons of user polls about whether something sucks or not.

jdreyer wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:55:
I haven't watched the stream yet, so maybe they covered this, but how do you prevent the psychopaths from permanently turning everything to rubble and nuking all the dungeon doorways in the first month?

The basic deformable terrain and stuff heals back after a while. The bigger changes come out of the Rallying Calls (which are like 3 month long public quests, think AQ gate opening in WoW only much more detailed and grand) and are huge endeavors that change things on a large scale.

They were saying that your gameplay experience on two different servers in the game could actually be SIGNIFICANTLY different based on how these Rallying Cries were going. Not just a few things changed, but significant differences from server to server in how the world looks and feels. We'll see if that is as good as they say however.

14. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:48 NKD

Fion wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:44:

And the whole destrucable terrain, I'll believe it when I see it. What I saw was 2 characters run to stand on just the right spot so that when the elemental hit it, they fell into a mini-dungeon. I'm also hot happy that the game is largley quest based. Quest-based advancement belongs in a themepark, not a sandbox.

Did you see the video at the end of the live gameplay where they were fighting the uh... guy with the big white glowy spells again? The ground was getting deformed as the fight progressed and the floor actually wore all the way through in a few spots. It looked fully dynamic, not prescripted.

12. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:37 NKD

Holy fuck! Destructible environments, multi-classing, building that absolutely destroys Minecraft, and what they've done with Forgelight in terms of environments is fucking amazing. A 3D world too. And by 3D I mean you can just fucking blast your way down to underground areas and shit.

Plus EQ Next Landmark coming out this winter, which is basically EverQuest MMO Minecraft, with certain areas that SOE-enforced to a certain theme where players can compete to build an area to pre-defined SOE specs, and the best one gets PUT IN THE REAL GAME.

This is so fucking Next that I am jizzing my pants right now. If they don't deliver on this, I swear to you all, and you can quote me on this, I will become the next Cutter and will hate everything in existence for the rest of my life.

If you haven't seen the stream, go watch it now. It was an hour of having my fucking mind blown. If you're expecting EQ3, you're gonna want to kill yourself though, be forewarned. This is clearly not a game designed around Raid Or Die.

2860 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo