Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3409 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor Date Dated
12. Re: Warlords of Draenor Date Dated Aug 5, 2014, 10:58 NKD

BitWraith wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 08:59:
They always time the content patched to screw with other companies' game releases. They blew their wad in order to screw with Elder Scrolls Online.

Uh, what? If they were trying to do that, they failed comically. Because the last content patch for WoW came out 7 months before ESO. In fact, launching their content patches early put them at risk of losing people to ESO and Wildstar.

They had no meaningful competition between launch of Mists, and the release of the last content patch, or even close to the last content patch. So if they were trying to fuck with the competition, they screwed up big time.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Warlords of Draenor Date Dated Aug 4, 2014, 23:16 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 22:55:

You have to wonder what the hell happened behind the scenes for them to allow this lack of content development to happen though, especially after all the points were made that they didn't want shit like this to happen again after ICC and how production allegedly began so long ago in order to deliver content quicker.

I really don't get it either. First of all, even if the expansion came out in late October or some other relatively reasonable time period (2 years approx, xpac to xpac is the standard), it still doesn't explain pushing out their content patches for Mists so quickly.

Even if the content is ready to go and everybody is off working on Warlords, why not pace it better so people aren't left with nothing to do for so long?

Obviously there are limitations to how quickly they can push out a large expansion. Once a software development team gets to a certain size, you get severe diminishing returns on what you can accomplish by making the team even bigger. As the saying goes, you can't put 9 pregnant women in a room and get a baby in 1 month. And you can't just hire any old jerk off the street, you need a qualified person.

So if a 2 year cycle is the most they can reliably pull off, that's fine. But for fucks sake spread out the content patches a bit more so your player base that is practically going through withdrawals doesn't hang you from the rafters.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Aug 4, 2014, 23:06 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 22:27:
My take:

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 21:13:
Also, RIP James Brady, must have been furiously difficult to be partially paralyzed because some nut shot you by accident spend the past 30 years trying to affect gun control only to see nothing change at all.

Yeah, no kidding.

Failure to get universal background checks is one of those shining examples of where our system fails. According to numbers I read today 90% of Americans support it, 84% of gun owners support it, 74% of NRA members support it. But we still can't get it done.

It's just too easy for a felon or other banned individual to get their hands on a gun through a private seller. It's not a magic solution to fix all problems of gun violence, it's a band-aid that would be relatively easy to implement, yet it still doesn't happen.

The real problem with the gun control debate today is all this focus on what I call "crazy white person" shootings. Mass shootings (a shooting that injures or kills at least 4 people) make up an incredibly small portion of gun violence. Shootings involving middle class white people also make up a relatively small portion of gun violence. It's also the trickiest kind of gun violence to prevent.

Why are we focusing the debate on the forms of gun violence that are hardest to prevent? Shouldn't we first be going after the low hanging fruit? It wouldn't seem like such an impossible subject if we would frame the debate in a way that made sense.

Most gun violence happens to low income, poorly educated minorities at the hands of others in their same socioeconomic class. So that's where we need to focus our efforts. The fact that we only seem to care when middle class white people are shooting other middle class white people is a massive joke.

No, there is no realistic solution to keeping a crazy person from going nuts and shooting a bunch of people. But that doesn't mean we can't make a real dent in gun violence numbers by looking elsewhere.

6. Re: Warlords of Draenor Date Dated Aug 4, 2014, 22:15 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 18:57:
Pre-event will be late October and it'll go live early December is how it's shaping up at this point. Gives Blizzard time to re-hype the expansion through this and Blizzcon.

I'm more interested in the cinematic, personally.

Not a bad guess. 4 months from beginning of raid testing to release is longer than they usually run beta, (2-3 months is usually the time period from beginning of raid testing to release) but the beta is in a little rougher shape this time around than it usually is so I can see them cooking it a little longer.

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
27. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:37 NKD

SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:10:
$45 for the very base copy of Star Citizen.

$75 for the beta to Elite: Dangerous.

AND, 99$ for early access to Line of Defense from 3000AD.

Dammit, ALL 3 games are going to be incredible! But I can only afford two of them, so which two should I get guys, I CAN'T DECIDE!? And No, I didn't even mention the name Derek Smart...I mean...awww DAMMIT!

Or all three could suck, so you wait and get none of them until reviews are out.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 3, 2014, 23:33 NKD

94% on the morality score hot damn! When will Morality Score be added to Metacritic btw?  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2014, 22:33 NKD

So I watched Expendables 3. Solid action movie stuff with minimal unnecessary drama. Even though it's pushing 2 hours long (which is usually 15-20min too long for an action movie) it doesn't feel too padded out. Larger cast of characters this time around, so each individual character gets less screen time, but they also get straight to the point on introductions to save time.

Antonio Banderas' character is hilarious. It's also good to see Wesley Snipes again.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 3, 2014, 22:29 NKD

Rhett wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:16:
Facebook goes down; Facebookers call cops

What. I don't even.

It's not even a new phenomenon. People have always called 911 for bizarre reasons. Usually because they are out of their mind on drugs, old and senile, or otherwise mentally diminished. Ex-GF of mine who was a 911 dispatcher said that almost all of the frivolous calls they got at her center were from lonely elderly people.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Aug 3, 2014, 22:26 NKD

Saboth wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 12:13:
I don't hear explosions after playing, but many times I'll have restless nights where I continue playing a game while sleeping in dreams and wake up exhausted.

I've had this too. Body has stopped playing the game, but the brain has not. Extrapolating scenarios and stuff. Even without an actual game feeding your information the brain just keeps on churning along making it up.

News Comments > Stained Steam Key Resolution
3. Re: Stained Steam Key Resolution Aug 3, 2014, 16:00 NKD

So much drama for a game virtually no one is playing. Glad to see he finally sent out the keys though. No need to screw over the 10 people who bought your game.  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Aug 3, 2014, 15:59 NKD

That sucks Lionsgate. I feel bad for ya.

Now where's my torrent client?

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
3. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 3, 2014, 15:33 NKD

Joe Kucan as weird as ever.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2014, 10:46 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 06:30:
MMA started to rise in popularity about a decade ago. Boxing had fallen a good decade before that. The two are unconnected. Boxing lost popularity due to the inherent violence and the deleterious effects on the participants. Football will fall for the same reasons. Already Peewee football applications have fallen 25% compared to just a couple of years ago.

I think you're blurring the line between participation and popularity too much.

I don't think recruiting pool equals popularity. Little league baseball has remained the most participated in kids sport, while MLB has been plummeting in popularity relative to the other sports. But overall, youth team sports have declined in popularity significantly. That's due primarily to the rise of the Internet and gaming.

So while the participation factor in physical sports is going to decrease, and that may eventually lead to a decrease in popularity, I think it's going to be an overall effect.

In fact I think the more physically taxing sports like football, hockey, and MMA will be the last dominos to fall because they are the most exciting to watch.I don't really buy the argument that America is losing its taste for watching violence. Maybe actively participating in it, but not watching it.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
50. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 19:12 NKD

Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 18:50:
No, it isn't. A person who is toxic to me may not be toxic to you, and vice versa. While I will agree that Cutter tends to be more negative than positive about stuff, in the end all he does is post a negative opinion on a game. Last I checked, in a free country, he is allowed to have a negative opinion.

A negative opinion isn't the problem. It's when it's a poorly thought out ignorant hit-and-run, quite often based on not even reading the linked article but just making assumptions based on the blurb or title. His willful ignorance is indistinguishable from trolling and has the same net effect on the conversation.

For example: The cosplayer chick who fell down while climbing a gate and got hurt. AFTER the police had clarified that security footage revealed there was no attack and AFTER the article had been updated, and pointed out in the thread, Cutter comes into the fucking thread going on about how the guy is "guilty as sin, he knocked that girl out."

I tried putting Cutter on ignore for quite a while, for a year even, maybe. I don't recall exactly. I don't really use ignore anymore. But I saw nearly all of his posts anyway because people quoted him to dismantle his weak arguments. Of course, he favors hit-and-run posting where he just vanishes when called on his shit.

Yes, we could all avoid all this if we just disregarded his posts. But getting everyone on board with that at the same time is going to be problematic if not impossible. Even if you ignore him, the shitshow he inevitably starts is hard to avoid unless you just want to leave the site.

The best solution is never the solution that requires the rest of the community to adapt or change the way they post just because of one guy. Most posters here try to substantiate their points and we can have some really good debate and discussion. Willfully ignorant hit-and-run posting adds nothing of value.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 2, 2014, 15:57 NKD

I'm surprised they survived the Internet as long as they did! They had a good run.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2014, 15:54 NKD

WALTER JOOOOONES  

News Comments > Facepunch Reveals Deuce
5. Re: Uhhh...no. Aug 2, 2014, 15:39 NKD

So if this game turns out to be not-so-great, we can say that Facepunch (who?) dropped a deuce on us...?  

39. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 15:17 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 15:11:
NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 14:43:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 14:40:
NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 11:48:
Cutter just stands out because most of the other wastes of oxygen who used to post here, like space captain for example, have already been shown the door.

*psst, he's right there, behind you*

The IP address is coming from inside the house!

And you are just as bad because instead of just shutting up (or putting him on ignore or something else) your bitching and moaning about the guy bitching and moaning.

Don't be a fucking hypocrite!

You're bitching and moaning about the guy bitching and moaning about the guy bitching and moaning, and then calling guy #2 a hypocrite. Just pointing that out there.

Take your own advice instead of contributing to the fractal pattern of bitching and moaning you seem to hate so much.

36. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 14:43 NKD

Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 14:40:
NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 11:48:
Cutter just stands out because most of the other wastes of oxygen who used to post here, like space captain for example, have already been shown the door.

*psst, he's right there, behind you*

The IP address is coming from inside the house!

34. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 14:38 NKD

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 13:39:
So the big argument here is that they shouldn't have delayed the game 3 times, and instead should have shoveled out some half-finished slop and called it a day?

And then when when it was half-finished slop, the complaint would be that they didn't delay it to get it right. Or in this case, that the Kickstarter perks weren't delivered, or whatever the fuck.

3409 Comments. 171 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo