Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3572 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 8, 2014, 12:33 NKD

Eh without recordings of the phone calls it's hard to say. It's possible this guy started invoking the name of his company to try and get things done. That's actually against the policies of a lot of companies. But if that's true, Comcast is still a little bitch for reporting an upset and dissatisfied customer.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
51. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 12:06 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 10:31:
So I guess I like wasting my time, but I am a proponent of the saying "Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time". So I really want Shadows of Mordor in spite of what you say. I know I'll love it.

Yeah I don't really think every game needs to be some ultra complex and deep thing. Sometimes slaughtering the shit out of orcs for 25 hours can be fun. It was fun as hell for me. I wish more games had combat like Shadow of Mordor. In some games, the combat actually gets tedious and you just want to skip as much of it as possible. But in Mordor I would be on my way to a mission and I'd feel compelled to just rip this camp of orcs apart for no particular reason.

Sometimes a simple, tightly focused game can be more fun.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 20:02 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:55:
harlock wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:18:
hate the game not the player

Hate the starship, not the captain?

Space Captain?

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Oct 7, 2014, 19:35 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:24:
Salted CARAMEL!

I think I'm becoming jaded as a gamer. Sorta like Lucas and Star Wars. I was young and the future of Star Wars looked so bright, but then the Force was explained and we got Jar Jar Binks, and brilliant actors tied down to a horrible script.
Now take that and apply it to gaming. Publisher's use to be pretty good but you have some that have gone to the dark side like EA, and now you have Developers going to same route like Gearbox.
They are no longer trying to stand out with their products, but instead figuring out other ways to bring attention to themselves to make sure that they are still on someone's radar.

My Ferrari had a bomb threat, well actually I was just parked at ID Software next to Carmack's Ferrari, well actually I was just in the same parking lot, but I swear I could see his Ferrari 4 rows over.

I'm still not sure what you're saying. The bomb threat was a PR ploy?

4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 7, 2014, 19:18 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:16:
I'm not sure how to take that.... good or bad?

I don't know, but you seemed pretty salty there.

2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 7, 2014, 19:15 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:11:
Gearbox HQ, well not really a HQ, more like a Office Building.. well more like a floor in the Office Building.. well not really a floor, more like 5 offices in the back corner where we are figuring out new ways to recycle Borderlands.

Wouldn't a HQ mean it's the main office and has OTHER offices?

I found you a new avatar Elf.

4. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 18:58 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 18:54:
Wow, rather surprised WB would go this route, as the game is pretty solid on it's own and with Batman Arkham Knights right around the corner.

Their PR firm has no idea if the game is good or not. They will go to whatever lengths they feel like going, regardless of whether or not the title is in need of the PR fluffing.

WB needs to fire their PR firm, because this level of handling is just unnecessary and self-defeating. Yes, it only applies to YouTubers who requested advanced review copies, but it's still ridiculous.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
28. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 17:47 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 17:06:

This is like the third topic you've agreed with me on in 2 days. Are you sure you don't want to change your opinion? Haha.

Hah. I can only think of one topic in recent memory I've disagreed with you on, so really that's the exception rather than the rule. You seem to avoid the trap of unwarranted and/or premature hating on anything and everything more than most people around here. And you're not a hit-and-run poster who will post something completely asinine and then vanish before reading any possible disagreement. Not saying I don't think you ever post anything asinine, but you stick around and discuss at the very least.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 15:42 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 15:30:
Yes, this may change as games get better.
Yes, when it impacts the PC, where resolution matters significantly, it will be frustrating.
But for the moment, on these consoles, I think that the resolution difference between 1080p and 900p is hardly noticeable. Everything is basically "sharp enough" when you're actually playing the game.

The whole console resolution thing is just an e-peen flexing thing for the ongoing console wars. Like you said, it doesn't matter in 99% of living room/TV configurations. If you're playing with a console hooked to a 24" or bigger monitor a foot and a half from your face, then yeah, but that's an edge case and not something developers need to really concern themselves with for the console versions.

Frame rate is a bigger deal, but that's not typically an issue on PC either because users there are typically more savvy and have finer control over detail levels to ensure a good framerate.

In short, I don't know why any of us should care what's going on with Xbone vs. PS4. Despite the improvements over last gen, they have technical concerns that don't matter to us on PC.

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 15:37:
I find this to be a bit of a fallacy because there are too many factors at play to generalize it and I think its important to have some perspective here,

I'm hardly generalizing. I gave a specific example using screen size and distance. Someone with 20/20 vision can perceive detail of about 1 arc-minute or 1/60th of a degree. This is not subjective. It's the same exact mechanic used in eye exams to determine your visual acuity with the letter charts.

It doesn't matter what level of detail is lost if you're sitting too far away or the screen is too small to see it. At that point it becomes nothing more than e-peen flexing about specs.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2014, 15:53.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 15:19 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 15:09:
But to be fair does anyone on these forums know what it would take hardware wise to hit 1080p?
Example: AC Unity will run at 900p on both consoles. To get to 1080p what would you have to remove to achieve that at 30+fps? And what sort of TV would you need to tell the difference between 900p and 1080p?

To the first question, it's hard to say because the architecture is different than what we're used to on PC. It's not as simple as "CPU bound" or "GPU bound." They share a memory pipeline.

On PC, if you're limited by your CPU, then increasing the resolution won't really impact your framerate very much. Your GPU has power to spare, your CPU doesn't. I'm no expert on the architecture, but basically on a PS4 or Xbone, the CPU thrashing that memory pipeline can in fact keep you from fully utilizing the GPU.

If that's the case, then it makes sense for both consoles to have the same limitation: They share basically an identical CPU. PS4's advantage is in its GPU. If they cannot utilize that advantage because they are maxed out on the CPU side, then there's nothing they can do.

To your second question, telling between 900p and 1080p is going to depend on the size of your TV and how far you are from it. If you've got a relatively modest sized TV, say under 50 inches, and it's 10 feet from where you're sitting, you're not going to be able to tell the difference aside from whatever placebo effect you get from the knowledge that it's 1080p and not 900.

A 46" TV 10 feet away is too far away from the ideal viewing distance of around 6 feet. You're not going to be taking advantage of the extra detail. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at that distance, let alone a smaller resolution difference.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 15:06 NKD

nin wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 14:55:

Tell that to watch dogs, where the pc version was gimped also.

If they've pulled this shit once, why wouldn't they try it again?

"Gimped" is such a ridiculous exaggeration. The resolution was not limited, the framerate was not limited to 30fps. PC Watch Dogs looks great.

The axe you seem to have to grind with Watch Dogs is so enormous it looks like a fucking WoW weapon.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 14:00 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 13:00:
I would love to have more diverse experiences, better storytelling, and the concept of "gamer" being more socially accepted and embraced rather than looked down upon.

Welp, tell the mainstream game media to stop the pattern of collusion, censorship, and hit pieces and you can get your wish.

It's game journalists keeping the stereotype alive, not gamers. They are using women, the LGTBQ community, and minorities as shields to deflect the discussion away from their own misdeeds. Hence the whole #NotYourShield twitter thing that tends to go alone with #GamerGate

I don't know why you're in such vigorous denial about that. It's a well known tactic used by the regular media for decades. Why is it so unbelievable that entities like Gawker would do the same thing?

The thing that set this off was a story about some person sleeping around for favors, but it could just as easily have been any other topic. It just so happened that the games media got caught with their pants down on this one, literally and figuratively. The widespread and simultaneous attempts at censorship and deflection were so brazen the backlash was inevitable. You, and the mainstream games media, are taking the topic that just happened to expose the issue, and trying to frame it as being the issue itself. It isn't. It was just the spark that exposed a much bigger problem.

I don't know why you're so content to fall in line with the obvious attempt at deflection.

News Comments > DRM-Free Offline Play Coming to Planetary Annihilation
8. Re: DRM-Free Offline Play Coming to Planetary Annihilation Oct 7, 2014, 12:09 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 11:28:
NKD wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 11:24:
I don't have an internet connection, so this is good news. But I also don't have a computer, will they make this available without the computation-required DRM?

Everybody loves sarcasm of course, but in this instance, their DRM feature(in addition to Steam) was to have all games, even single player, routed through their servers. It was also VERY easy to get disconnected from these servers, making the game unplayable for a large number of people, if not necessarily the majority of PA owners.

Add in that this was the exact opposite of what the original Kickstarter claimed(offline version on release), and you get some annoyed people.

I have to assume it is something on their end, I can play any other online game with no issues. Anecdotal evidence but there you go.

Yeah. It's a lot better to cut out the middleman of their servers. It's just fun to joke about

News Comments > DRM-Free Offline Play Coming to Planetary Annihilation
5. Re: DRM-Free Offline Play Coming to Planetary Annihilation Oct 7, 2014, 11:24 NKD

I don't have an internet connection, so this is good news. But I also don't have a computer, will they make this available without the computation-required DRM?  

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 7, 2014, 11:05 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 10:21:

They really need a new sticker on the PS4 and PC versions "Gimped for XboxOne"

I'm not seeing anything about the PC version being limited to 900p and 30fps.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 6, 2014, 19:06 NKD

entr0py wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:25:
So did they come up with some canonical alignment and gender for Revan, or is it portrayed as an androgynous character of mysterious purposes so it's consistent with with whatever you did in KotOR?

Revan has been canonically male and the Exile canonically female for a few years now. Light side ending is canon as well.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 18:36 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:10:
Perhaps the gaming industry will have to figure out how to do more with less, just like everyone else.

Yeah, great idea. Let's dramatically lower the production quality and depth of games across the board by slashing budgets. Everything can be at a Kickstarter/Early Access level of quality. That really benefits us as gamers.

Kickstarter has already shown us what game developers can do with a more limited budget. They can make a decent game, usually pretty short on content and polish, and that's if they have a really tight focused design. Imagine games with a Kickstarter type budget AND the oversight of a penny pinching publisher. Hooo boy.

I'd rather pay $50 for a good game than $50 for five mediocre games. My time is valuable to me, and I already have more games than I have time to play them. What's cheaper games going to get me? Not much, since due to time constraints I end up buying most games on sale to begin with.

Games just aren't expensive. They are a ridiculously cheap hobby, particularly on the PC with Steam sales and the like.

I worry more about quality than I worry about price.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2014, 18:22 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:53:
I can't imagine a way to argue that anything from the 70s or 80s is better than something like Adventure Time. Or even Animaniacs, which was more overtly educational and still way more interesting and far less vapid than the cardboard garbage of the 70s and 80s.

70s and 80s cartoons were the era of "cheap bullshit meant to sell toys." Yeah, I loved those cartoons in the 80s, and I get nostalgic about them sometimes, but looking back with a critical eye they just don't hold up compared to what is available to kids today on cable, Netflix etc. They were little more than cynical attempts to sell merchandise.

There's way more educational value on average and they give kids a lot more credit in terms of their level of intelligence and maturity. It's no surprise that modern cartoons are gaining a much larger adult audience than older cartoons. They are now designed with parents in mind.

And it's not just a modern thing. Even cartoons in the 40s and 50s had more depth than the cartoons of the 70s and 80s. Of course that's the culture of those eras. The 70s and 80s were about flashy appearance and lacking substance, and that was reflected in the cartoons.

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 17:23 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:47:

Now, I get that games aren't life-and-death, nor are they a limited resource, but the underlying principles are the same.

With the exception of the obvious life or death nature of pharmaceuticals, I think it's even worse for games because we're talking about digital codes here. There's no need to deal with a shady middle-man. You can easily find out who is reputable and who isn't, and then your code provides you with the exact same product from the exact same source as the higher priced non-grey-market.

So if you don't make a meaningful effort to separate regions based on pricing, then you cannot afford to give any region a price break. You simply have to charge them the same, or pull out of the region and let the bootleg pirated copies run the market.

Either way it's silly for anyone in a wealthy country to bitch about it, because no matter how it plays out in the long run, there is so scenario in which they standardize pricing to the price offered in impoverished countries.

If anything, the loss of those markets due to the inability to price things lower would necessitate the wealthy markets RAISING prices to cover the difference.

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 16:39 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:29:
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:25:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 14:48:
NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:54:
Flat pricing is not fair pricing, by definition.

Interesting - to me charging each consumer the same price for the same product is fair. To do otherwise is unfair.

No, they should be able to charge what they want where they want. Similarly, consumers should have the right to shop around for better prices where ever they please too. If I feel I can make more money in one place than another I'll charge what the market will bear. However, I won't begrudge the consumer going somewhere else or buying a cheaper product. Regional pricing and resales are only a problem with bullshit like this saying you can't buy other places and/or resell.

Why would anyone ever buy from their locale if they can just as easily buy from a Russian ecommerce storefront?
That's right. The only way this works is if the people in one region pay their regional price. If everyone can buy from the Russian market then they have to charge the Russian market the same price. This effectively kills the Russian market and they may as well not even sell games there. Of course this sounds good to selfish citizens of wealthy countries, but its bad for the publisher and bad for the gamers in less wealthy countries.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2014, 17:14.

3572 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo