Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3169 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 13, 2014, 13:36 NKD

Beamer wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:04:
Optional Nickname! wrote on May 13, 2014, 11:24:
As a Star Citizen backer, I say hiring anyone who had any connection with Diablo III's development process is insulting by rewarding failure.

But by hiring the lead producer of one of the most poorly produced and received big budget titles in many years to work on a project that is supposed to be 100% player-centric and devoid of all of what Diablo III's failure represented is like suddenly seeing a space albatross circling your hangar.

Game development involves an enormous amount of people providing input. Sometimes the producer isn't just putting his thoughts to paper but forced to do the best he can while incorporating the demands of others.

I feel like gamers get stuck in this weird fantasy world instead of how game development actually works. A title not turning out the way gamers want equates to the idea that the people involved in the title should never work again or should not be taken seriously.

Quite frankly if that's how people REALLY want to be, they ought to just quit gaming altogether, because just about everyone who has been in the industry a long time has a few stinkers on their resume.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
16. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 13:20 NKD

Creston wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:10:
Brumbek wrote on May 13, 2014, 13:06:
Bottom line: try a 120/144Hz monitor and it will blow you away and you won't ever want to go back to a lame 60Hz.

I did try one, and honestly, while it is very nice, I didn't feel it was worth the substantial difference in price.

The other downside is that they are virtually all TN panels. So you're getting a higher refresh but you're losing color reproduction, viewing angles, and contrast.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
14. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 13:07 NKD

DrSquick wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:36:
Cutter wrote on May 13, 2014, 12:08:
Fuck, I wish Bethsoft would patch Skyrim for that.

Does it look good, or is it similar to the "soap opera" effect that you get on the 120hz TVs that do frame interpolation; where it looks "off" or unnatural. Do you know the effect I am referring to? My screen is only 60hz, so I can't tell if this video accurately represents it, but here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_dE6HPIAJM

120/144hz monitors are actually capable of 120 or 144hz. No interpolated frames.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 15:13 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 12, 2014, 12:17:
According to a recent poll, 50% of people wouldn't want to pay $2 a month when it's purely hypothetical and they don't actually have to lose their shows.

According to a recent poll, 50% of people said that they'd rather try to persuade Netflix not to increase their prices.

According to a recent poll, 50% of people stated that a worthless poll is worthless.

Exactly. No one in their right mind is going to throw away all that content for $2. Sure, they'll talk big when they don't have to put up or shut up, but when it comes down to it they probably wouldn't even notice the rate increase.

Netflix is a steal for the price they charge, even if you don't use it much.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
26. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 23:44 NKD

Bundy wrote on May 11, 2014, 22:50:

I have hope for the PC version of Watch Dogs. While Rockstar has always given PC some pretty mediocre ports, Ubisoft usually delivers, UPlay notwithstanding. The last few AC ports have been solid. Visually far better than what u see on console.

Ubi is definitely pretty good at delivering a good PC port. I don't really see any reason Watch Doge would be an exception. The last like, 7 or 8 titles I bought from Ubi were solid PC ports that were visually much more impressive than their console counterparts.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
41. Re: Steam Top 10 May 11, 2014, 22:25 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2014, 19:24:

Jesus, Blue you have to get that ignore function working again. I'm so sick of these trolls.

Holy fucking shit the irony.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
24. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 17:19 NKD

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 11, 2014, 12:23:
I miss the Nintendo vs Sega days..

I don't. Console exclusives being constant rather than an exception was lame as fuck. You basically HAD to have both consoles or you were missing out.

News Comments > Never Alone Announced
2. Re: Never Alone Announced May 10, 2014, 20:57 NKD

Fantaz wrote on May 10, 2014, 11:03:
Alaskans? more like the native Canadian Nunavut/Inuktitut people... but it's American's making the game so yeah, why should they say that.

Seeing as how the group of people behind this game are from a region that has never belonged to Canada, I'm not sure why you'd expect them to identify as being Canadian.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 10, 2014, 02:53 NKD

PropheT wrote on May 9, 2014, 23:51:
I don't understand why they didn't just reply to the review and offer the facts,

Because the facts aren't on their side, I imagine.

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
52. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 22:19 NKD

BitWraith wrote on May 9, 2014, 20:27:

Why are people excited for this?

It's been stated earlier in this thread and other ones why people are interested. It has the most fun and challenging dungeons available in an MMO right now, which is going to carry over into their raids, best player housing available, pretty solid PvP, the crafting is good. A great community with a lot of tools, addons, theorycrafting, even though the game hasn't even launched yet. Combat pacing, especially at higher levels, is a lot faster and more twitchy than other MMOs.

Lots of cool stuff that someone playing the first 5 levels by themselves isn't really going to experience. It's not a revolutionary MMO by any means, but their target audience is ex-MMO players who got tired of the focus on pulling in non-MMO players with a whizbang single-player and leveling experience with nothing waiting at the end.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 9, 2014, 19:09 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 9, 2014, 17:08:
It's shit precisely like this that makes me glad I don't live in the US.

Was a bullshit frivolous lawsuit. ECPA is not applicable to the situation people were pissed about. Judges had no choice in the matter, legally, there wasn't even wiggle room for them to allow it to go forward. The lawyers bringing the case up knew from the start it was not winnable, they were just trying to get press.

49. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 9, 2014, 18:05 NKD

Ceribaen wrote on May 9, 2014, 16:03:

Made myself an Esper - combat is... different. Not used to having to stand still to attack (is this for all classes or just some abilities?) Otherwise has a bit of a GW2 feel about it (as a recent comparison).

Esper is the least mobile class. Other classes have a lot more freedom to move about without interrupting their casting etc.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Character Trailer
5. Re: Watch Dogs Character Trailer May 8, 2014, 22:55 NKD

harlock wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:53:
so the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Rob Zombie are in this? thought I saw Bill Burroughs in there too

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was the first thing I thought of as well. I wasn't aware Rob Zombie was such an accomplished hacker.

42. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 22:42 NKD

PropheT wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:03:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:13:
Ahhh... typical Bluesnews. Bashing the hell out of a title even though they haven't played it or they barely played it.

This game is very satisfying to those of us who like MMOs and want a new one to play. It has similarities to WoW and it differs significantly.

I love MMO's, and play or have played most of them. After trying Wildstar again today I don't have anything positive to say about it, and I usually at least kind of like practically anything that's competent. Aside from the art and animations there really isn't anything I enjoyed about in my time I spent with it, and it still has the worst UI of any game I've played in recent memory even after they updated it.

I want to like it but really, really can't get into it at all. This game was hyped all to hell and it just sucks.

What level did you get to?

40. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 21:43 NKD

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:52:
How many people would you estimate raid in WoW? Thousands? Millions?

It's hard to come by good numbers but looking here it looks like there are several hundred thousand in WoW who raid on the Normal or Heroic level (excluding the people who just queue for LFR or do Flex which doesn't really count.)

Plus that's just people who've raided in the last two tiers of content. If my guild is any indication there are a lot of people who haven't raided in MoP who are interested in Wildstar.

I think if they play their cards right they can get a player base big enough to sustain their game.

34. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:40 NKD

Creston wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:32:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 8, 2014, 13:04:
It will be a better raiding game for hardcore players who want a challenge, that I will say for sure.

I'm curious as to how many people that will actually bring to the table, though? Enough to sustain an entire MMO?

Time will tell, but they picked the right time to launch. WoW raiders are incredibly bored right now due to lack of content. Then Wildstar comes along, with hard dungeons and the promise of even harder raids, and a pretty clear focus. It's got all the stuff raiders want. It's not just a game that technically has raids, like SWTOR. There's already a pretty solid community forming around the game. There are a ton of add-ons already, logging sites, data mining sites, theorycrafting, all that stuff, to a degree I haven't really seen in a while. That's not to say all there is to do is raid, but the focus seems to be there. (The player housing system is really fucking cool though. That's something you don't see much.)

One guy was saying that MMOs need to appeal to as many players as possible, but I don't think that's really a feasible approach anymore. You cannot keep a huge player base around in the long term any more. MMO players want all kinds of different things in their MMOs, and they are not willing to settle for a one-size-fits-all MMO for more than a free month.

Keep your game design focused, and don't spend $300 million making the thing, and you can have a successful MMO with long term player retention. Yeah, some forum idiots are going to call your game a "failure" for not having 5 million subscribers, but as long as your game is profitable and your player base, after the launch bubble pops, is happy and supplied with content, you win.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 7, 2014, 21:10 NKD

Deus Ex - Every time you mention it, SOMEONE will implant it into their body.  

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
50. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 18:48 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:31:
And when those projects get cancelled, people who have already paid for the product in question gets refunds unless there is no one left to pay.

Eh, Early Access would just be terminated before they'd give refunds for Early Access titles that don't reach fruition. There are a lot of issues which make that impossible to really enforce in a fair fashion.

First Issue: how would you define a "release" version of the game? Are the developers required to implement every feature they've ever considered adding to the game? If they are just required to live up to what's on their Steam Store page, then it won't do any good because they'll just be super conservative in what they are promising. Couple example scenarios.

Scenario A) Developer underpromises, but despite not promising much, the game turns out disappointing. Developer lived up to his obligations, no refunds, even though everyone is super disappointed.

Scenario B) Developer overpromises, game turns out okay, but developer did not technically live up to his obligations, refunds for everyone!

It becomes a technicality issue rather than a customer satisfaction issue. Do you run a poll on overall customer satisfaction for the title? Who would vote yes when voting no means you get a refund?

Second Issue: games can remain in Early Access for long periods of time. That's enough time for a LOT of Early Access purchases and a lot of financial liability for Valve who have to refund out of their own pockets because getting money back from the developer would be damn near impossible.

Third Issue: Early Access titles are playable games, and many of them are in a state that you can get a lot of hours of enjoyment out of them. If it never reaches an enjoyable state, that's one thing. But otherwise it's like those scumbags who get a big screen TV at Costco for the Super Bowl and then return it for a full refund the next week.

Early Access needs to be understood by consumers to be a risky "early adopter" program, or it needs to be terminated. There is no way Valve can guarantee Early Access titles will meet all the hopes and dreams of the people buying it. And people need to decide accordingly whether to participate in Early Access or not.

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
57. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 23:55 NKD

Where do you think the money for the refunds came from? Valve. Assuming they've already paid some money out to the developer, they'll have to get that money back from him.  

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
54. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 23:27 NKD

Killswitch wrote on May 6, 2014, 23:19:

Your expression of "people who were stupid" is appalling and exactly what I had addressed in my previous post. You have absolutely no empathy for those who do not think the same way as you do. It sounds as though you are saying that people who want to rob others of their hard earned money are free to do so, as long as they are "stupid and ignorant". Your attitude, although not unique, is a huge problem for society and this attitude desperately needs to change.

You're blowing things way out of proportion. People were reimbursed and not overly inconvenienced. Nowhere did I state that stupid people should just be up shit creek. Obviously they are entitled to a refund, even if they do make poor purchasing decisions.

I just don't think the problem is severe enough to warrant any kind of heavy-handed new measures that might prevent or discourage indies from using Steam.

People say there is a problem, but the evidence doesn't show it. We have only a couple cases. You say that if one person can do it, so can anyone else, but they aren't. This is a rare situation, and the scenario played out exactly like it should. Products that were not as advertised were found out, pulled, and the victims compensated in a timely manner. And they probably learned a good lesson about smarter purchasing decisions to boot.

Let's talk about reality here and not hypotheticals.

3169 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo