Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2860 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M
29. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 20:00 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 16:10:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 15:37:
I'm all for money going to charity but I'm not going to support a business as unethical as EA. I mean, I wouldn't support Halliburton or Monsanto even if all the money was going to charity. At the end of the day this is money that EA can write-off against tax, that it can use to inflate its stats and extra users for its Origin service, all of which provide a tangible benefit to the company. No thanks.

Certainly we can agree that EA is not at the same level as Halliburton or Monsanto. EA doesn't design seeds that don't germinate or fleece the gov't for billions and billions of dollars. EA does a lot of things that piss gamers off, but what have they done specifically that was unethical?

You're on the wrong site for finding people who don't think EA is a mass murdering dictatorship.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers
5. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers Becomes Homeworld: Shipbreakers Sep 2, 2013, 17:04 NKD

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:36:
Really? It was going to take many millions more? So you're saying they knowingly engaged in fraud, Randy? And transmitting that over state lines makes it a federal offense. I would hope someone calls the FBI in that case before its too late.

Give the FBI a call. Let us know how it goes.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
5. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 30, 2013, 11:44 NKD

Servers kinda hosed at the moment it seems.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
21. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Aug 29, 2013, 23:14 NKD

Taskeen wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 18:11:
No PC version, no money from me. Sorry rockstar.

Yeah I'd love to play this but I'm not falling for the trick of buying it for console only to have to buy it again for PC later if I want the best experience.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 29, 2013, 10:33 NKD

I can confirm that Cutter, Hellbinder, and RollinThundr all backed this movie at high funding levels.  

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
56. Re: SE is a joke... Aug 28, 2013, 23:29 NKD

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 23:17:

Skip this game, wait for Elder Scrolls.

Probably best to skip that too.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs
10. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 22:21 NKD

Smellfinger wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:09:
NKD wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:42:
EQN is more of a sandbox thing. "EQ + SWG + Minecraft" would be the most succinct way to describe it at the moment from what little info we have. More in common with things like UO, SWG, EVE, than the WoW model. In fact the main whines are from people who think it's going too far from the WoW model. Which is ironic considering the pile of dead WoW-clone corpses rotting in the corner.
Right now, EQN is nothing but hot air and a few minutes of pre-alpha footage. They're making the game sound like an amalgamation of Minecraft and Guild Wars, which is not exactly what people were expecting from a new EverQuest game.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, though. I played vanilla EverQuest off and on for about a year before abandoning the genre completely. The subscription model made the manipulative behavioral hooks too transparent and the creepiness eventually overwhelmed me.

The sad part is how many people will actually FIGHT for that perpetual monthly fee carrot model. I've seen people over in the EQNext subreddit talking about how they hate the fact that SOE is basically saying EQN won't have a traditional endgame because in their minds, unless they are being caught on a hook and reeled in, they aren't having fun.

I mean what the actual fuck?

8. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:42 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:22:
Unless EQN is more like a bug free Vanguard, don't see how soe will recover. Hell, WoW is barely hanging on being WoW, no need to copy them, unless your going F2P.

EQN is more of a sandbox thing. "EQ + SWG + Minecraft" would be the most succinct way to describe it at the moment from what little info we have. More in common with things like UO, SWG, EVE, than the WoW model. In fact the main whines are from people who think it's going too far from the WoW model. Which is ironic considering the pile of dead WoW-clone corpses rotting in the corner.

Fion wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 21:40:
Need I remind anyone of the dreaded Starwars NGE?

It's been 8 years, with no further repeats of the NGE fiasco. Safe to say they learned a lesson. They've said as much. Time to let it go buddy.

5. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:05 NKD

Panickd wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 20:57:
"This strategic alignment of resources better positions SOE to remain a global leader in online games, as well as to align development resources towards our current portfolio of MMOs and the highly-anticipated future installments of the EverQuest franchise, EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next."

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on this because besides Planetside 2 and EQ Next what the fuck, exactly, has Sony Online Entertainment been focusing on? Global leader? Please. You're a "used to be" at best.

This just in, PR fluff speak turns out to not be accurate! Every press release by every company ever claims they are the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing new there.

1. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 20:49 NKD

Hope everyone gets a new job quickly. Shitty industry to be in if you're working for someone else.  

36. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 13:48 NKD

Cram wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 13:37:
Can you play solo in this game if you want?

You can level up solo. But other than that I'm not sure there's really much for you to do.

23. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 11:11 NKD

That's one way to spin it.

Anyway, FF14 is okay, but it doesn't really innovate or do anything new and cool, so I don't see it being too successful in the long haul. Not with a sub cost anyway.

It's just a pretty standard theme park grind, though a fairly polished one.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Lost Planet 3 Aug 28, 2013, 01:56 NKD

Guess I'm waiting for the Steam sale.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Thursday
5. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Thursday Aug 27, 2013, 22:12 NKD

walrus1 wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 22:01:
NKD wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 21:53:
Wake me up when the PC version is out.

If we're all asleep waiting for it who will wake us up?

That's a good question...

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Thursday
2. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Thursday Aug 27, 2013, 21:53 NKD

Wake me up when the PC version is out.  

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
18. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 21:28 NKD

entr0py wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 21:15:
That can only mean they're going to include PhysX exclusive features rather than just doing a version that will work on any video card. At least when AMD sponsors a game and gets their logo splashed on the screen, it doesn't carry any proprietary bullshit.

If AMD had a proprietary tech they thought they could muscle people into adopting, they'd do the same shit. Let's not pretend it's some kind of moral stance.

And if the recent AMD Evolved stuff is any indication, their exclusive feature is "We've disallowed the developer from working with Nvidia to get driver fixes ready for release day."

News Comments > Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned
5. Re: Watch_Dogs PC Features Planned Aug 27, 2013, 12:41 NKD

Ubi has already been doing very good PC ports for some time. Nothing new here.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 26, 2013, 19:27 NKD

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 17:30:
WTF was the caregiver thinking when she was doing going to work unarmed???? Darwin award candidate got what she deserved LOOOLZZZ

She wasn't unarmed, it was her gun. That's what makes it all the more stupid. It's not like she was unaware there was a loaded gun in the house. Of course being that she was like 90 years old maybe she was.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 15:21 NKD

Prez wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:35:
Dacron wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:27:
I'll support indie game makers when their product looks interesting. I don't support them so they can 'follow their dreams'.

That's my feeling too.It would seem that the idea for indie development is to hit that seweet spot where following your dreams = making what lots and lots of people are interested in.

It's very tough to try and come up with something that meets your design goals AND will have players. My project was originally something along the lines of a multiplayer-only real-time 4x. (I didn't want to waste CPU cycles on some AI that would have been shit anyway). I wanted it to be really deep with a lot of emergent gameplay so I started with very fundamental rules to the universe, some basic physics simulation, etc.

After a while I was so far down the rabbit hole of weird simulation-ish mechanics in my 4x that I realized the game was too complex to ever get anyone interested outside of a few super hardcore players. Scrapped that prototype before there was even any gameplay, just a galaxy with procedurally generated planets orbiting in real time.

The game I really want to make, no one will ever buy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 14:05 NKD

There's nothing worth reading in the comments of major news sites anyway. They should just disable comments altogether.  

2860 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo