Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3429 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
12. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 15:21 NKD

I believe the record they are referring to is the fact that it was Ubisoft's best selling title, or best selling new IP or something along those lines.

Either way, Watch Doge sold like hotcakes and a sequel is a no-brainer. It'll be interesting to see if Watch Doge 2 is as big a leap as AC2 was from AC1.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
2. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 13:36 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:20:
Did they fix the mouse and keyboard driving yet?

I see this in every thread yet since I couldn't get my PS4 controller to work properly, I played the game with a mouse and keyboard. It worked just fine, after I got used to it a bit.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Morning Patches
5. Re: Morning Patches Sep 3, 2014, 11:40 NKD

Verno wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 10:33:
It's pretty easy to find a good set of modpacks though. You can't really balance a game like Minecraft anyway. It's just a shame that it screws so many launchers and packs over, they always lag behind official releases significantly. A proper API would help, speaking of which...

Did the official API ever materialize or is that still vaporware?

The official API is just a running joke at this point. I'd be surprised if it ever came out.

As far as balancing modpacks, some do a decent job on that front. TPPI for example has a custom mod they use to tweak recipes that are too easy or too hard and have put careful consideration into their config options. But it's not a game about balance anyway and there will always be some stuff that seems less worthwhile. But hey, it's not a competitive game, if you want to use something less than optimal because you like the style, you're not at any kind of disadvantage.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 3, 2014, 11:36 NKD

BitWraith wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 08:49:
It's the celebrities fault that someone broke into their device and stole their private property? How does that compute exactly?

Insecure passwords/recovery questions, failure to opt in to two-factor, etc.

You're on a PC gaming site, surely you should know that your security is mostly in your own hands. No company can protect you from yourself.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
47. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2014, 01:06 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 00:46:

However, it's just weird to me that the conversation here, and really anywhere gamers venture, is "those idiots got what they deserved!" I mean, that's the very first place the discussion went and really the only place it stayed.

Where is the discussion supposed to go? I don't know what you're wanting people to say. The only solution to what occurred here is to be more careful. Either don't take photos you don't want public, or don't keep them stored anywhere network-accessible.

There is no such thing as 100% guaranteed security. It isn't possible. Pointing the finger at Apple, or some dastardly hackers doesn't accomplish anything. You can't erase hackers from the world, and you can't implement 100% security.

But it's impossible to steal photos that no longer exist.

I don't see what's so unconscionable in your mind about suggesting the one and only effective solution to the problem.

38. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2014, 20:10 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 19:30:
NKD wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 19:09:
Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 17:05:
What if someone did it to your daughter?

Sorry, but pet peeve trigger...

"Yeah, but I bet if you were emotionally compromised by being more personally affected, your thinking would be different!!!"

No shit, Sherlock. That's why we discuss things from the perspective of a reasonable human being and not from the perspective of some angry fuckwad looking for revenge.

I still don't think it's rational, though.
I mean, from this perspective, we should always just assume the worst. Do you own a car? Why, someone will probably just steal it or hit it while parked. Do you have a house? Why, someone will rob it or burn it down. Do you have a job? Why, you'll probably just get fired or the company will go out of business. Do you buy things online? For the love of god there are hackers, don't do that!

Owning a car, a house, or having a job are not really equivalent to storing nude photographs of yourself in terms of necessity or impact on your life if you were to omit them.

Opting not to delete your nude photos after sharing them with whoever they were intended for creates some risk without really posing much benefit to your life.

No one is suggesting people go out of their way to avoid all risk. But it seems reasonable for a high profile public figure like an A-List actress to take a few basic precautions.

36. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2014, 19:09 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 17:05:
What if someone did it to your daughter?

Sorry, but pet peeve trigger...

"Yeah, but I bet if you were emotionally compromised by being more personally affected, your thinking would be different!!!"

No shit, Sherlock. That's why we discuss things from the perspective of a reasonable human being and not from the perspective of some angry fuckwad looking for revenge.

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Sep 2, 2014, 18:46 NKD

ItBurn wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 17:29:
There is absolutely no point in playing vanilla minecraft. The mods that are out now offer a million times more. I don't know why they bother... Maybe for consoles?

A lot of people don't like modded Minecraft for whatever reason. I don't personally understand why, but they are out there in pretty sizeable numbers.

The Minecraft 1.8 update has some pretty substantial under the hood changes that increase performance and would be great for modded MC. Unfortunately because it's only just now that enough mods are on 1.7.10 to put together a good variety of modpacks, it's going to be a long time before 1.8 gets support from Forge and a good selection of mods.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 00:04 NKD

Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 23:52:

And, regardless, whenever Blue adds some color commentary to his reporting, people say "Keep it up, Blue, I like when you add your opinion!"

Really? I sure don't say that, and do you see Blue filling this site with his personal opinions? I don't. I've been posting on the site for a while, and reading even longer still, and I couldn't tell you anything about Blue's opinion on anything beyond some educated guesses.

There's a difference between having a personality, and giving clickbait opinion pieces top billing and cross-linking it across all your sites in your network (See: Gawker)

We're having this discussion on a site that is basically a news aggregator site, so obviously there is some value to that format or you wouldn't be here.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 23:43 NKD

Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 20:32:

Out of curiosity, though you won't tell developers what content they should or shouldn't create, aren't you kind of telling game sites what content they should or shouldn't create?

Game developers are creative minds making whatever they feel like making. No one expects them to be impartial. On the contrary, an artist's only obligation is to their own idea and trying to make it come to fruition.

Journalists should be held to a higher standard, because they are a source of information. They shouldn't be trying to shape the discussion, or use their sites as a bully pulpit to fan the flames of outrage. Gaming journalism sites are starting to become the personal blogs of the staff writers.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 19:58 NKD

Squirmer wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 19:21:
I get that you just want to talk about games, but unfortunately there are actual problems with game content and the games industry. If you don't want to hear about it, you should really be urging game companies to address those core problems, not asking everyone else to shut up about them.

That's assuming you agree that women treated as sex objects or passive targets of violence is a problem. If you don't agree that's a problem, then the problem is you.

I'm not really big on telling people what content they should or shouldn't create, myself. It would be nice if they'd avoid some of the more stereotypical misogynistic elements, but it's not really a big deal either way. I certainly wouldn't want to guilt someone into compromising their own idea of what their game should be, even if it personally offends me. In fact, it seems odd to me that the more games that come out that aren't ridden with those stereotypes, the more heated this supposed debate becomes.

Why is everyone so angry when the selection of non-misogynistic games is at an all-time high?

Because the gaming press is stirring everyone up because it's good for their business, and that's the problem. The press is poisoning the discussion by making the stakes seem so much higher than they actually are.

I've said this on this topic many times, that people attacking the content are wasting their breath. You can't attack content. People will cry censorship and you'll get nowhere, forever doomed to preach to the choir. See: Trying to get rid of rap music, or violent video games.

The fewer sexist developers you have in the gaming world, the fewer sexist games you'll see. The solution isn't to attack content or attack developers, it's to get women and men who do not hold those sexist views into the game development world.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2014, 18:33 NKD

I really dislike how gaming journalism has become infected by activism. It was one thing when it was just bought and paid for reviews you had to watch out for, now you have to hear everyone's opinion on every fucking social issue known to man.

Shut the fuck up. We don't come to gaming sites to hear about these issues or to have conversations about these issues with teenage gamers. We come to talk about games. For anything else, gaming media sites are a very poor platform and an even poorer audience to be discussing with.

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
19. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 30, 2014, 06:28 NKD

GameAnger wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 19:25:
You quantify it with Australian Law. If a product isnt fit for purpose, or if it doesn't do what it says it does on the box. We're entitled to a refund.

What's the purpose of a game? It's not like a toaster that doesn't toast bread. That's indisputably useless. A game that you simply didn't enjoy as much as you thought, or had some bugs, shouldn't entitle you to a refund.

If you get the game and you outright cannot play it to any reasonable level, or it does not contain the content or features depicted in the store page, that's a different story.

14. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 16:48 NKD

Julio wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 14:36:
NKD wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 14:01:
People would abuse the shit out of refund options if given half a chance.

If the gaming industry provided less half baked buggy and lousy games then the refund rates would be tolerable. If other industries did such a poor job on quality, then they'd be refunding plenty too.

So what's the level of bugginess or "lousiness" which qualifies a game for a refund? How do you quantify it? Everyone has different standards. Do you really think anyone should be entitled to unlimited refunds for any stated reason? Because a lot of people would just be like "Heh heh heh, I can get this game for free by beating it really quickly and saying I had a lot of bugs and the game crashed a lot!"

You mention "other industries" but fail to acknowledge that other industries ALSO have restrictions on refunds and returns to help prevent abuse.

Before you can offer refunds, you need measures in place to prevent abuse by self-absorbed nitwits who think they deserve all their games for free.

News Comments > Op Ed
59. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 16:21 NKD

This whole conversation gets so very old.

In all this debate, bitching, and whining, no one has ever stated any kind of goal. What is the goal? Have a wide variety of games that appeal to different ages, cultures, and genders? Have a wide selection of games that don't depict women as perpetual victims or sex objects?

Congratulations, we already have that. But people are still bitching.

I suspect that's because the real goal is to eradicate and censor the games that do embrace the more cliche male power fantasy stuff, which would be a misguided and impossible goal.

I've said many times before, that Ms. Sarkeesian is really wasting her breath. If she is really enthusiastic about getting more games out there that portray women in the way she would like, she should focus her efforts on getting more women and like-minded men into game development and addressing sexism in the development world, not in the content.

Attacking content you perceive to be sexist is a losing battle because you cannot censor it, and no amount of YouTube video will convince people to stop buying or playing games just because of cliche portrayal of women.

News Comments > Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced
5. Re: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced Aug 29, 2014, 15:38 NKD

Gas Bandit wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 15:37:
"Standalone expansion?" It better be $19.99, tops.

If you click through to the article it states it will be $19.95. Also Saints Row publisher has always been pretty quick and generous with the Steam sales so it will probably go for even less pretty quickly.

News Comments > Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced
1. Re: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced Aug 29, 2014, 14:54 NKD

Oh my god!!! Play as Johnny Gat and Kinzie????

Fucking. Sold.

11. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 14:01 NKD

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 13:40:
Bard wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 12:51:
I wish I could have gotten a refund on at least half the games I have bought, that are DRM crippled or just plain broken.

How many games do you own? That number will determine whether you're part of the problem (claiming a game is "broken" because it's plain bad or you don't like it) or just the worst consumer ever who has managed to buy proportionately more actual shovelware than everyone else here. ;-)

Seriously, though, unless the description of the game was misleading or incomplete (it happens sometimes), any DRM is not a good reason for a refund. You're told about it upfront and you bought it anyway.

"This is why we can't have nice things." comes to mind. People would abuse the shit out of refund options if given half a chance. You'd need a system in place to stop people from abusing it by too frequently requesting refunds.

It shouldn't be there as a safety net that allows people to buy whatever game they want and get a refund if they don't like it, or worse, get a refund once they've beaten the game or gotten their fill of it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2014, 23:43 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:45:
SWAT threat locks down school, gets Counter-Strike player slammed to the ground…

This shit has to stop too. I wonder how people aren't getting nailed for this?

It's not really practical to track down these guys unless they are incredibly stupid. It's very easy to make untraceable calls from the Internet, and sometimes they'll even use services designed for the deaf or mute to call 911.

The police are in kind of a no-win scenario when it comes to these prank calls. The caller says people are being killed. If it turns out to be bullshit and they mobilize anyway, you get the shit we are seeing here. If it turns out to be real, and they spent precious time trying to verify the phone call and more lives are lost before they mobilize a response, they get blamed for being incompetent.

News Comments > Volition Reveal Friday
9. Re: Volition Reveal Friday Aug 27, 2014, 11:16 NKD

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 11:00:
Creston wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:58:
Someone better ask her "Hey Kinzie, wanna fuck?"

Anyway, good to see they're doing well and are adding staff.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I do hope SR takes a few steps back towards reality. 3 is still my favorite, but 4 seemed too far out there, and not nearly as fun.

I enjoyed 4 just as much as the others, but I still agree with you. Variety is the spice of life. You can't just get crazier and crazier indefinitely, so it would be interesting to see the series not resort to simply cranking up the batshit insanity level every time.

At some point your shit becomes so nonsensical that you become an anime game.

SR has covered a lot of ground in 4 games, and it's hard to think of a direction they could go in without re-hashing themselves. But I think if they get some smart people together in a room they can come up with something that isn't just next-level crazy.

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 11:12:
but a lot of people never played 3 due to the dismal PC port and didn't get to see how great it was

What? SR3's PC port was 10 times better than SR2's PC port.

3429 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo