Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3395 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare Announces Shadow Realms
38. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 16:52 NKD

Axis wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:38:
When the PR throws out those PnP keywords ("roots of PnP", "DnD", "Hallmarks of Bioware" "Deep combat progression"), the LAST thing you expect is a hack and slash FPS/TPS game.

Now will it be a good game, perhaps. But will it be "Roots of PnP" etc? hell no.

That's on you. It was pretty clear that when they talk about PnP, they are referring to the Shadowlord player's control over the environment being similar to a DM. They were NOT saying that the game is going to be a pen and paper CRPG engine with turn based combat. To me that seemed obvious, seeing as how they said right away that it was an action RPG. As far as deep combat progression, well, we haven't seen the progression yet, so we'll see later on whether that pans out.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 16:27 NKD

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 16:21:
Eh, it's in pre-alpha, so the final product will undoubtedly look little to nothing like this. It looks like over-the-shoulder Diablo, only this time there'll be a DM running around as well. Still seems interesting.

Frankly it's very unusual for a major developer to show pre-alpha footage at all. I get the impression they are trying to start showing things early enough that they can actually make changes based on feedback. Usually from Bioware (or any other larger studio) you don't see any real gameplay until a few months before release and the game is basically in a finished state.

Still, it's infuriating to see people shitting on something based on a few blurbs and some pre-alpha gameplay.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: BioWare Announces Shadow Realms Aug 13, 2014, 10:05 NKD

This sounds weird. But it's good to see Bioware trying something different instead of just shitting out another formulaic single player RPG. I'm also a fan of asymmetric multiplayer modes, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.  

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs
45. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive; Skipping PCs Aug 13, 2014, 00:16 NKD

In before Deus Ex and Hitman move to Xbone Exclusivity.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2014, 12:46 NKD

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2014, 12:42:
Was reading about that Tony Stewart deal last night - crazy!

Yeah, I sure hope that wasn't on purpose. A lot of people seem to be saying it was, but people more familiar with sprint cars don't seem to be so sure.

We'll see how it pans out, but either way, walking out into high speed traffic on a dirt track is basically committing suicide.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 8, 2014, 21:22 NKD

Actual image of Cevat Yerli.  

News Comments > SSI Vets form TSI
17. Re: SSI Vets form TSI Aug 8, 2014, 20:50 NKD

Interesting... we'll see how that pans out.  

News Comments > Sierra Entertainment Revival
11. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 11:30 NKD

Luke wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:49:
InBlack wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:41:
Might as well call it McDonalds Gaming...in this, or any case of a brand revival, the quality of games to spring from these studios will depend on the people who work on them.

And people today working on games lack of passion and love for those games they make , its all about money nada else ,

Bullshit. If people working on games only cared about money, they wouldn't be working on games. Your job security is poor and pay and benefits usually less than what you'd get working for MS or Google or some other software giant. What you say might be true of some corporate bean counters, but that's always been true of corporate bean counters. It's not true of the people who put their time into making these games.

The cost to make a game you can get away with charging 50-60 bucks for has skyrocketed in the last 20 years, so since more money is involved, more bean counters are involved.

We can get the bean counters out of gaming, but it would mean no longer spending 20, 30, 100 million dollars making them.

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 20:50 NKD

Loot the dog  

News Comments > Casey Hudson Departs BioWare
2. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 7, 2014, 19:37 NKD

Flatline wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 19:09:
Is he the guy who supposedly locked himself away for ME3 and wrote that "ending"?

That'd be the guy...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 7, 2014, 11:14 NKD

Honestly if you're not buying an Intel or Samsung, maybe one of the higher end Corsairs that use the server-grade controller (too soon to tell on that one) you're buying the wrong SSD.  

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Plans
4. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Plans Aug 7, 2014, 11:02 NKD

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 10:51:
That mount will be useless, if its not a flying mount. No one will ever use it. Flying is the only way to travel in the game now. Its going to be interesting to see just how many raids are really put together and how long until no one is able to do the dungeon because of the lack of finding enough people to do 40 mans.

This is why Blizz removed 40 mans to begin with, it was to hard to get 40 people together at one time. I just don't see this working out very well in the long run.

The 40-man is an LFR. I.e. you queue up to run it and its tuned to be very easy so that its more for just goofing around. Plus it's only around for a limited time so it'll be gone before the novelty factor wears off.

A ground mount is as useful as all the other ground mounts, because you can't fly in Ashran (the new PvP zone), any of the other battlegrounds, or anywhere in Draenor until at least the first content patch, maybe longer.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2014, 11:10.

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
22. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:15 NKD

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:11:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:08:
Julio wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 18:45:
There's no need for piracy to know if a game is crap. But it's a nice attempt to justify piracy.

Bullshit. Keep fucking that high horse you're on.

No, he's right.

Yeah. And it's not about being on a high horse either. I don't give a shit if you pirate, but why waste your bandwidth on pirating a whole game when you can just watch a video from a YouTuber you trust to tell you if it's worth it.

The whole point of checking out a decent review is so you don't have to waste time or bandwidth or money finding out for yourself that a game sucks. Pirating only saves you the money, not the time or bandwidth.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 6, 2014, 16:57 NKD

Flo wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 16:35:
They should finally ditch the historical settings and deliver a game in the sci-fi setting they are constantly teasing me with!

I think they are hesitant to embrace the modern era too fully because their current gameplay model straight up won't work with it. They'd need to design an entirely different type of game set around the same story.

They'd need to let you drive cars, and have you primarily use guns, since that's the weapon of choice for both Assassins and Templars in the 21st century. It'd basically just be Watch Dogs with an AC story.

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
13. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 16:30 NKD

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:33:
I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.

It really is. Yeah, the Metro start thing is lame, but you know how often I see that? A few seconds a day. Everything else is better in the same way 7 was better than Vista. A ton of little improvements throughout. The only thing wrong with Vista was a rocky launch. It's fundamentally the same under the hood as 7 and 8 and works just as well.

If you've already got Vista or 7, there's no real compelling reason to upgrade, but by the same token if you're putting together a new PC there's not much reason NOT to get Windows 8.1.

Maybe Windows 9 will be better, but then maybe it won't be.

But I get really sick of seeing people sharing their little anecdotal stories about how one time they had a problem with Windows 8 and therefore it sucks. Also lying through their teeth about having never had any issues with whatever previous version of Windows.

Windows 8 doesn't have any widespread problems that earn it a spot on any kind of shitlist. It just doesn't. Aside from the almost entirely avoidable Metro shit, it is Windows 7.1

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 17:21.

15. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 16:07 NKD

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 15:53:
So what then, they just never thought "Hmmm, maybe calling it Colin McRae Rally and saying 'The old legend is back!' will mislead people"?

As for risking their reputation, eh, EA still sells game by the shitload, and they've been screwing people over for more than a decade now, so I doubt they're all that worried.

It screams of an attempt to make a quick cash grab to me, and they tried to hide the fact by being less than honest in their blurb. And now that they've been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, they're desperately trying to pretend this wasn't their intention to begin with while at the same time trying to showcase their largess by offering refunds.

It's more likely that some marketing guy half-assed the description, his superior rubber-stamped it without reading it thinking something like "Eh this is just that shitty mobile port, who cares." and moved on to other business.

That scenario is far more likely than some vast corporate conspiracy to intentionally steal money from people, under the assumption that no one ever thought "Every time something hinky happens on Steam, a shitstorm is brewed, this will not work.

As for EA, Codemasters isn't that big. They make mostly racing games for a niche audience that get mediocre reviews from the general populous. They can't really afford to have a shitty reputation.

12. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 14:55 NKD

Don't buy a game without checking out a review, dumbasses. Especially one with a muddy unclear description of what it actually is. Seriously, look at the description, no details.

Also look at the system requirements. The fact that it only requires an abacus, a pint of mead, and a horse saddle should tell you a few things about how HD it is. Red flags all over this place on this one.

Plus the VIDEO. Also, ya know, the fact that it's priced like a mobile port.

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 11:42:
True, but let's be honest, this wasn't just "an honest mistake." They knew full well that people would think they were getting the PC version of Colin McRae, and not a fucking port from a mobile version.

So they put this up hoping to cash in without anyone making too much fuss. It's still a fucking scumbag move.

Not really sure I buy that. Codemasters isn't some naive indie games company. They've been around forever. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to intentionally risk their reputation over a $7 game in a relatively niche genre with some kind of contrived evil mustache twirling muahahaha scenario.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 15:09.

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
38. Re: WOW's appeal Aug 6, 2014, 14:31 NKD

InBlack wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 10:46:

Well said. Im one of the damn masochists. Id love to see a proper Hardcore MMO, in the line of Ultima Online, only with updated graphics...*sigh* its never goona happen though. Might as well wish for the end of Capitalism....

Isn't that Darkfall game or whatever kind of like that? I'm not a huge PvPer these days so I havent looked into it too much.

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
27. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 08:28 NKD

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:10:
The interesting thing to me is that there are STILL that many people playing this game. Isn't it old hat by now? I suppose at least some of them are the ones who started in the last year or so but still, that number is just crazy high. Are people just forgetting to cancel their subs when they quit or what?

WoW has huge subscriber churn. Not only new people joining when old people leave, but old people returning as newer players take a break. There's no penalty for letting your subscription lapse when you aren't going to be playing.

So at any given time you have a ton of people who have only been back in the game for a few months, and are still discovering content that is new to them, or working on long term goals like achievements or whatever.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 5, 2014, 22:27 NKD

Last gen exclusive? Ehhhh. I guess I still have my PS3 plugged in.  

3395 Comments. 170 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo