Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3453 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2014, 08:37 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 05:30:
NKD wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 05:01:
Cutter's legal knowledge once again shown to be fucking laughable.

Why'd you use the word "legal?"

Does seem a needless distinction, considering.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 20, 2014, 05:01 NKD

Cutter's legal knowledge once again shown to be fucking laughable.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
20. Re: Into the Black Sep 19, 2014, 00:34 NKD

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 23:33:
Meh. Better than people give it credit for but way worse than it should have been.

But the more they release the closer we get to an HD port of Tactics.

Yeah, this is definitely a better title than people really admit.

The typical gripes:

1) The combat is too easy. This gets harder later on to the point where people who've been "pressing A to win" are going to not know what's going on or why they are getting their shit pushed in.

But yes for the first half of the game it's fairly easy. It's definitely still beneficial to put some thought into your paradigms for basically the whole game though. If you're sitting there with three all three dudes in Commando mode you're going to have a hard time getting any enemy into stagger.

And by the time you're farming Adamantoises or Shaolong Guis at the end you've got to be extremely quick on the controller to get efficient timely kills, and be very picky about your paradigm deck. In some cases, if you are too slow switching paradigms and can't get in enough damage during your first stagger or get a leg knocked out on one of those big guys, it's actually faster to just reload your save and try again for perfect execution than to finish the kill.

There are some very unforgiving battles.

And

2) The game is linear. Yes, mostly. It follows the same basic concept as FFX in this regard, yet for some reason FFX is a typical fan favorite, in the Top 3 for almost all FF fans.

In FFX you went on a linear progression through mostly linear levels until late game when you get the airship and the world opened up a bit. The same thing happens in 13 except you're using those warp things. In 13 you can't backtrack along that linear path quite as far or as often. In some cases you could backtrack in FFX, but you rarely ever did.

In fact, having recently replayed 13 and having also recently played the FFX Remaster for PS3, I'd say that FF13 has more land-mass and content in the freeform late game than FFX did.

FF13 does a particularly bad job of masking that linearity though, which is why I think people notice it more.

Either way, I enjoyed 13, and enjoyed 13-2 even more so.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
9. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 18, 2014, 20:39 NKD

Excellent. Everything pre-13 I can emulate well on PC. Nice to see a 'newer' title being ported to PC, seeing as how emulating it is years and years off.

I hope the port doesn't suck.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 17:30 NKD

Can we just stop having the Op Ed section? Thanks.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Sep 16, 2014, 21:07 NKD

SirKnight wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 21:03:
PHJF wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 20:53:
If an elevator opens and Kitana is inside...

Leave nothing but the nuts hanging out.
'

What if it's Mileena?

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 16, 2014, 19:17 NKD

J wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 03:16:
MLG? Is that a card game?

You're thinking of MTG. MLG is Massachusetts Lawn & Garden, an organization for the more horticultural types.

News Comments > MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed
105. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 16, 2014, 00:50 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2014, 00:05:
It's been a very long time since Notch has actually done anything on Minecraft, though, be it design or actual coding, and the people that have been doing it all came with the deal.

Yep. Notch isn't some creative visionary or technical whiz in terms of programming. He effectively got lucky, and has admitted as much. There's nothing you really gain by convincing Notch to stay.

News Comments > Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve
4. Re: Saints Row Creative Director Joins Valve Sep 15, 2014, 12:20 NKD

Cutter wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 11:24:
Guess he got tired of doing actual work so it's off to Valve for a vacation for a few years.

Actually agreeing with Cutter on this one. This guy gets to goof off and shoot other workers with Nerf guns now instead of having to actually ship titles.

23. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 11:22 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:53:
NKD wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 10:46:
Not sure how much sense this makes for MS, but definitely a good deal for the founders of Mojang. Congrats!
Yeah I can't figure it out either. I mean sure, minecraft is interesting but I grew up and out of legos when I was around 10. I couldn't ever understand the appeal of it. But congrats for making something and getting bought out for an insane amount of money.

I feel like Minecraft has already had its success. How much steam is left in it? $2.5 billion worth? I'm not sure it is. You'd have to sell a lot of t-shirts and foam diamond swords to get that money back.

Minecraft is popular, and has a lot of players, but those players have already bought in and aren't interested in buying in more for stuff they've already been getting for free from the modding community.

12. Re: MS/Mojang $2.5B Deal Confirmed Sep 15, 2014, 10:46 NKD

Not sure how much sense this makes for MS, but definitely a good deal for the founders of Mojang. Congrats!  

News Comments > Trion Worlds DDoSed
3. Re: Trion Worlds DDoSed Sep 14, 2014, 12:44 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 10:58:
Wonder if it's from the same folks who did this to Blizzard when 2.1 went live.

Hard to say. Anyone can rent a botnet these days.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
56. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 17:03 NKD

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 12, 2014, 15:47:
I'll pirate this as a reward for the delay. Thanks for nothing, you fuckers!

I'll pirate it because I've already purchased GTA5 and don't intend to buy it at full price again. I don't play their silly little double-dipping game. If they make a decent game, I'll buy it once, probably at a discount. Buying it twice at full price? I'll leave that shit to our resident Rockstar shill down below.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
44. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 14:12 NKD

They trying to get full price for this thing?  

News Comments > Line of Defense Presales; Early Access Next Week
7. Re: Line of Defense Presales; Early Access Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 22:33 NKD

Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 22:01:
Dude ought to change his name. He can't ever get any work done because he is constantly being summoned to some web forum!

The summoning ritual hasn't been too effective these last few years.

News Comments > Line of Defense Presales; Early Access Next Week
3. Re: Line of Defense Presales; Early Access Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 21:28 NKD

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
58. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:18 NKD

Interesting rumor. MS not usually buying a lot of game companies. They rely on third party exclusivity deals to prop up their Xbone division, and they don't care about PC gaming.

If true, it seems odd. There doesn't seem to be much in this for Microsoft. Mojang has no significant titles in the work, and frankly, isn't loaded with talent. Minecraft itself has probably stopped selling huge numbers a while ago, though I'm not sure on that.

It's already on basically every platform, so expanding on that front is also unlikely.

Just not sure how they plan to get a profit off that $2 billion. Even if you consider the user base of Minecraft, and how buying it would give access to new customers, I imagine the Minecraft user base isn't real high on the buying power.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 13:27 NKD

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:07:
Will we reach a point soon where the already risk-averse publishers just don't greenlight anything that isn't E-For-Everyone for fear of defacto censorship via manufactured outrage?

Has that happened in music, movies or books?

Not really. Very different dynamics in those industries make them far more resistant to that kind of controversy. Due to the fact that their profit margins are (typically) much much larger than games, they can afford to take a few risks and take a few hits due to controversy.

Music and books especially. It doesn't take 25 million dollars to write a book, or produce the average album.

Game publishers? Hugely risk averse because the margins are so thin and budgets so high. It makes them incredibly skittish. This makes them very vulnerable in a way. The gaming audience also seems more plugged in to social media, where this controversy stirs up.

I just don't see the same outrage flying around about movies, books, and music in social media. Nobody cares about sexism or violence in rap anymore. But games? You're doomed!

That's why I worry. Gaming is relatively new, and has shown itself to be very vulnerable to social media outrage. Game developers and publishers are almost addicted to somehow trying to defend themselves instead of just taking the approach where you just make what you want to make because you think other people might like it too.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 13:01 NKD

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 12:15:
I don't know how you get whining from the posts here, most people are just getting indifferent to this ongoing silliness and rightfully so.

It just seems so weird to me to see all this shit. Gaming used to be pretty simple. You'd play games, talk about what's fun or what isn't, and that was that. Now everything has to be life or death serious all the time with all this political and social crap mixed in.

What We Used to Have: Shit talking on the internet that we used to dismiss out of hand.

What We Have Now: We write entire articles about how so-and-so got told to go kill themselves, fanning the flames even further. If I threw a fit every time someone on the Internet told me to go kill myself, I'd be locked in a rubber room. Anonymity on the Internet leads to people turning the amp up to 11 on every insult. No one actually wants you to kill yourself, and no one is actually planning to come to your house and kill your family. They are just being as offensive as possible because they can. It's tasteless, but it's not newsworthy.

What We Used To Have: Game content we don't like or find offensive we would just avoid, and not recommend to others.

What We Have Now: Better rally the troops and bully the developer until they never want to create another game again. Turning "I don't want to buy this." into "I don't think they should sell this and I'm going to stir up shit until they stop making things I don't like."

As someone who lives in a small, rainy town, I got into PCs and gaming early on, a long time ago. It was the simplicity of the hobby that attracted me, and the idea that it wasn't dependent on weather, or large groups of people being available. But now gaming is so noisy. If you want to stay up to date on what's going on, you can't really avoid being inundated with all this drama. You can play your games, and try and minimize your involvement, but this drama has escalated to the point where I think it's really going to start affecting the games themselves.

Will we reach a point soon where the already risk-averse publishers just don't greenlight anything that isn't E-For-Everyone for fear of defacto censorship via manufactured outrage?

One more thing...

Does it seem odd to anyone else that a developer is seemingly better off shoveling out incomplete, watered down, or straight up broken games than shipping one title that generates social controversy on Twitter?

Remember when developers and the gaming press were beholden to us, the gamers, their customers, instead of social media queens who wouldn't buy their stuff anyway?

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 7, 2014, 16:25 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 14:58:
Oh zoe, you still haven't figured out that when you make up bullshit on the internet someone will call you out for it.

I don't know, people seem to get away with a lot of bullshit on this site and many others.

3453 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo