Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3167 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2014, 06:35 NKD

BobBob wrote on May 25, 2014, 02:59:
Devastated by what has happened in my home town Santa Barbara. Considering returning to Europe. Too many crazies with guns in the USA.

Crazies aren't the problem.

There are around 10,000 firearm homicides in the US each year. That's about 27 deaths a day. The occasional crazy doing something like that is barely a drop in the bucket of gun violence in the US. It largely happens in poor, urban areas of the country.

But people only seem to care when it happens to middle class white people, and even then they forget about it within a few weeks. If people were serious about wanting to solve the problem of gun violence, they wouldn't speak up only after high profile shootings.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Distant Worlds Universe May 24, 2014, 16:09 NKD

The thing I don't like about Distant Worlds is the combination of weird font and tiny text size on my 2560x1440 monitor. It's nearly too small to read and basically killed the game for me.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $44M
14. Re: Star Citizen at $44M May 24, 2014, 14:56 NKD

ItBurn wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:51:
I think that the only logical conclusion to reagle's posts is that his girlfriend must have cheated on him with Chris Roberts some time ago.

Reagle is obviously suffering from some kind of mental illness. You can see the escalating weirdness in his post history. It's like reading the post history of some 10 year old kid.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2014, 23:39 NKD

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 23, 2014, 19:34:
What I think is funny is that all the newb journalists can't remember shareware and don't know where 3DRealms and iD and Epic came out of so they act like Kickstarter is the only way to make money and none of this could have possibly existed or gotten big before the internet...

How would shareware make anyone any money unless they had a full version ready to buy?

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2014, 16:27 NKD

Re: Crowdfunding

I've been saying this forever. The people who cry whenever someone who doesn't live in their mom's basement does a Kickstarter piss me off to no end. It's like they want Kickstarter games to fail, and they want the traditional publisher model to be the only choice you have.

Crowdfunding is the only option we have right now for getting niche titles or titles from hibernating genres out the door.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
28. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 15:15 NKD

This dude has some 1080p Ultra settings PC footage on his channel. Didn't see any story spoilers, but YMMV. Looks like there's a bit more going on in PC version and a little bit longer distance out where vehicles and fodder..err.. civilians load up. Of course YouTube compression makes 1080p look more like 480p, but you know how that goes. Guy was getting 50-90fps on Ultra on an overclocked 780, supposedly.  

19. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 12:37 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on May 23, 2014, 12:30:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2014, 11:49:
Conan's video is basically an accurate depiction of how most people play open world sandbox games.

You have no idea how accurate that is. Got the BF started with Assassin's Creed 2 (after not playing anything since a N64 and some World of Warcraft) and while it was sad (but so fucking funny) we moved onto GTA5, and I have to say Conan has amazing driving skills!

Anyway... the old thing that I see that bothers me in the video's is how motorcycles handle (which GTA4 and 5 nailed).

4 DAYS!

SQUEEE!!

The motorcycles look a lot like Saints Row style, i.e. nigh undriveable. Just way too agile. I'm still trying to decide whether I'll play with my PS4 controller or KB/Mouse. The ultimate trade off in open world games: Do you want to be able to drive, or do you want to be able to shoot?

News Comments > The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS
8. Re: The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS May 23, 2014, 12:24 NKD

Verno wrote on May 23, 2014, 12:17:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2014, 12:13:
Verno wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:01:
NKD wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:25:
3 years late and NVIDIA only. Hold on, uninstalling Windows and installing Linux.

Why do you care so much if SteamOS becomes a viable platform or not? All of your posts on the subject basically amount to "heh nerds". Keep using Windows if it bothers you so much.

Relax chief, just making a joke.

You relax pal, just joshing around!

I'm not your pal, guy!

6. Re: The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS May 23, 2014, 12:13 NKD

Verno wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:01:
NKD wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:25:
3 years late and NVIDIA only. Hold on, uninstalling Windows and installing Linux.

Why do you care so much if SteamOS becomes a viable platform or not? All of your posts on the subject basically amount to "heh nerds". Keep using Windows if it bothers you so much.

Relax chief, just making a joke.

17. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 11:49 NKD

Conan's video is basically an accurate depiction of how most people play open world sandbox games.  

1. Re: The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS May 22, 2014, 18:25 NKD

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 18:11 NKD

Suppa7 wrote on May 22, 2014, 17:41:

You know you have first world problems when you're focusing on things in videogames instead of you know, real atrocities and real prejudice in the world at large.

Well, when you're in the gaming press, or are a game developer, or simply a gamer, video games are kind of your corner of the sandbox. You say that people commenting on these issues aren't informed enough to comment, but that makes it even more crucial that they stick to the area that they are most informed on and most experienced with.

A lot of "First World Problems" are hand-waved by "Well, there are bigger problems in the world." The problem with that sentiment is that it says only the biggest problems in the world deserve to be discussed or addressed. And posting an article or discussing something does not imply it's someone's first priority in life, or that it occupies any more of their thought than the time it took to write it.

Whether a game has a diverse cast of characters or not is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but so is gaming in general. Does that mean we should just stop discussing gaming entirely? Of course not.

It's no sweat off my balls if an issue I don't care about or I feel isn't important is actually important to someone else.

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
6. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 22, 2014, 17:46 NKD

They might as well not even bother with HL3 at this point. Nothing they release is going to be anything but a disappointment that doesn't live up to the expectations that such a long development cycle sets.

Salvage what assets and tech you can, and make a new IP without baggage and expectation.

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
30. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 13:40 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2014, 13:01:

Actually it easy to predict.

Actually it isn't.

History is full of things panned as passing fads taking off, and things praised as the next big thing being flops. Rap was something that would only ever appeal to urban youths. E-Commerce was a fad because people value the certainty that comes with seeing a product face to face and talking to an actual salesperson. The Internet itself will only see mainstream usage in educational institutes. Streaming video, digital distribution, and cloud storage are all going to flop because of various technical hurdles which weren't as impossible to overcome as laypersons claiming to be experts made them out to be, and no one wants to trust their software to someone else.

The success chances of a particular concept has proven very difficult to predict, historically speaking. Even people like Einstein were wrong on things that were very much based on fact rather than the nebulous idea of social adoption, like the feasibility of nuclear power. There's actually a fair bit of study that has gone into the subject.

It's just not easy to say with better than a 50/50 chance how the market will adopt a technology and how long it will last.

If it was, then businesses would never make a product that didn't catch on.

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
17. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 13:24 NKD

I'll always despise MOBAs for what they did to my online gaming experience. I can look at my Steam friends list and it's just a bunch of fucking DOTA 2 all day long, and no one wants to play anything else anymore.

Even hardcore MMO addicts spend more time playing other games than these guys do.

I guess I'm just a dinosaur who, aside from whatever MMO I'm dabbling in, has aged out of multiplayer gaming.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2014, 13:10 NKD

I used a Zip disk like I use a USB flash drive now. It was much bigger than floppies, and operated like a floppy instead of like the hassle that was burning CDs at the time.

It was a good stop-gap measure, and eventually I did switch over to burning CDs when the cost of media went down and even the cheap CD drives no longer had problems reading burned CDs.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 13:02 NKD

Henry Dorsett wrote on May 22, 2014, 12:25:
Beamer, I think I speak for most of us when I say that you really need to screw off. Nobody cares.

Apparently a lot of people care enough to get angry that someone is bringing the subject up. In fact, any time race is brought up here in an article, there are a lot of angry white men making angry posts.

I personally think this criticism is silly and trivial, and explained earlier why Japanese companies are like this and why it won't change. But we should ask ourselves why angry white men come out of the wood work any time someone mentions race or encourages diversity.

In general, here at Blue's News any time anything regarding diversity is posted, whether it be race, gender, or sexual preference, a lot of straight white males get very angry and talk about how consideration for these things just isn't necessary and how people should just shut up about it.

Gay gamer con? Fuck you, go to the regular cons. This is a waste of time and money.

Women portrayed as perpetual victims in games? Fuck you, that problem doesn't exist, and if it does, it isn't actually a problem. Games are designed for men, if you're a woman, go play The Sims. Here's a list of three female characters that are exceptions that disprove you.

Racial stereotypes in gaming? Shut up, stop mentioning race, you racist!

Why is that? Even if specific criticisms are a bit silly, why the anger?

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 10:53 NKD

Japan is going to be very ignorant on issues of race because, surprise, they live in a country where it's 98% Japanese and 99.9~% Asian. The motivations and reasoning behind their lack of concern for diversity are perfectly understandable. This isn't anything new. Japanese media is absolutely laden with stereotypes about other races and nationalities that would get you absolutely clobbered for racism here in the US. But since they have no one to offend in their own country, they don't care.

This is Nintendo we're talking about, they are so out of touch and behind the times in just about every respect that this is just one more to add to the list, and it's not going to change any time soon. They are the product of an insular and generally race-ignorant culture.

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
16. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 22, 2014, 01:40 NKD

Redmask wrote on May 21, 2014, 21:02:
Cutter wrote on May 21, 2014, 18:07:
- Thinner, faster client

I agree that there are improvements to be made but this one makes little sense to me. You don't get the sort of advanced features you're looking for with a 2MB client. Steam is already fairly lightweight and beyond the profile verification on startup pretty much everything is fast for me. I have more complaints about the reliability of Valves network than anything to do with the performance of the client itself.

I don't understand what he's talking about there either. Steam is absolutely tiny. It uses very little memory, and basically no CPU. I doubt you could reduce the footprint any further without seriously gutting the client, and even then the gains would be minimal. And as for "faster", faster at what? It's a stripped down web browser, essentially. The only thing it does that takes time is downloading and installing games, which it can't do anything to speed up.

And like you said, Steam's main issue is the servers getting into periods where they seem to hiccup every few hours.

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
7. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 21, 2014, 23:36 NKD

The timing on this makes it an obvious ploy. ZeniMax can't innovate on their own, so they wanted to bully Oculus into settling for giving them a cut of whatever money they make out of the Facebook dealings.

Hopefully Facebook fucking buries them.

3167 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo