Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3479 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
1. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 5, 2014, 11:51 NKD

I definitely would not want to be an indie dev in this environment. One pissed off Twitter personality can sink you. One games "journalist" who doesn't like you can ensure your game stays effectively buried.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 11:24 NKD

Sigh  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 4, 2014, 17:38 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 16:14:
NKD wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 13:11:
Don't use a technical preview for anything remotely sensitive if you don't want MS to have that information. As far as I know, this isn't new. They do a TON of automated data collection for tech previews. They rely primarily on this data rather than manually submitted feedback.

I can see that partially, sure. A list of applications and how long it takes them to open, no problem. A list of your hardware so they can aggregate data and figure out what the most prevailing conditions are, sure.

What do they need your browing, search and file history for? What do they need your fucking PHONE CALL AND SMS DATA for?? To find out how to make WinTen run better?

That does seem odd, but it's hard to say what they are actually collecting and what they are simply "reserving the right" to collect. Cover-your-ass boilerplate shit mandated by legal, etc.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 17:22 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 15:39:
Allow me to point out that here is a AAA game with a strong (and fully dressed) female protaganist. Now I'll shut up.

Clearly this game is a misogynistic male power fantasy made by cis white males. While the character may APPEAR to be a strong female protagonist, she is at the mercy of the clearly cis Xenomorph and made to be a perpetual victim.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
4. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Oct 4, 2014, 14:48 NKD

Time for the Star Citizen thread again? This should be good.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 14:47 NKD

Fantaz wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 14:15:
5.9?! wtf...

Yeah IGN is catching a lot of shit for that. They took some guy who apparently is not even a survival horror fan, and then had him play through on "Hard" difficulty.

Serial everything-hater Jim Sterling on the other hand called it one of the best horror games he'd ever played.

Some very polarized opinions on this one.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2014, 13:18 NKD

I remember when gaming used to be about games. Might be getting time to hang up the towel on gaming and take up a nice old-person hobby like photography. I have no interest in gaming if it continues along this route and becomes nothing more than a vehicle for social issues.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 4, 2014, 13:11 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 13:01:
“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,” the Windows 10 preview terms state. “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

AWESOME!

I knew it all sounded too good to be true.

Don't use a technical preview for anything remotely sensitive if you don't want MS to have that information. As far as I know, this isn't new. They do a TON of automated data collection for tech previews. They rely primarily on this data rather than manually submitted feedback.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailers
2. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailers Oct 4, 2014, 04:04 NKD

KTR wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 02:11:
The reviews are pretty negative.

That's not what I've seen. If anything the reviews are all over the place. Some people really fucking love it, other people seem to hate it.

36. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2014, 03:56 NKD

Task wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 20:41:
NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 17:38:
Task wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:56:
The story, despite the retcon (ripley daughter), seems to not be too over done.

Ripley's daughter isn't really a retcon. She was mentioned in a scene in the Special Edition of Aliens back in the early 90s. She died in her 70s or something while Ripley was still in cryo.

That's not what I mean. I already know her daughter exists, since I have the special edition. What I mean is they made a 'connection' to the films and are making up her daughter's story.

Basically its not stupid crap like Gearbox's childish attempt at story telling in ACM, but its also not necessary.

I don't really see a problem in fleshing out an existing character rather than inventing a new one. In the Shadow of Mordor thread people were bitching and whining about them making a new dude instead of using some existing character. Game developers just can't win apparently.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 3, 2014, 20:11 NKD

Who the fuck is this guy even? And what is that website?  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta 2 Launches Oct 3, 2014, 20:07 NKD

Is there anything to do in the game yet? Last I checked in on it there wasn't much to do.  

News Comments > NASCAR '14 Demo
1. Re: NASCAR '14 Demo Oct 3, 2014, 18:04 NKD

Left Turn Simulator 2014. Get hype!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 18:00 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:48:
So as far as I know, Microsoft hasn't announced any real benefits that Windows 10 will offer. So why buy it?

It's Windows. It'll be the same as we've seen for decades. Iteration on what is already there. Little improvements throughout. The occasional major revamp of one or two elements. There's never really been any incentive to buy each and every version of Windows.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8/8.1 because I got it for free and the myriad tiny improvements throughout were well worth the time invested in installing it. But if I had to pay full price, I wouldn't have bothered and would have just waited for 9/10.

The thing is, operating systems are not sexy. They are very difficult to market because there is nothing revolutionary about them. They are an evolutionary, iterative product. They have thousands of tiny features, many of which get silently improved from version to version. Change it too much, and people freak out at the idea of change. Look at Windows 8/8.1. Don't use the Metro crap and it's basically just Windows 7 with a few improvements here and there. But even that caused people such as yourself to have the opinion that it's a completely broken OS that sucks.

So, yeah, there's no "must install right now" factor to it, but there never has been for Windows. You've always been fine being a version or two behind.

24. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 17:38 NKD

Task wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:56:
The story, despite the retcon (ripley daughter), seems to not be too over done.

Ripley's daughter isn't really a retcon. She was mentioned in a scene in the Special Edition of Aliens back in the early 90s. She died in her 70s or something while Ripley was still in cryo.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
25. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 17:18 NKD

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 17:11:
Damn, from reading you guys comments this does sound pretty sweet. I often reminisce about the good ol' UO days. Wonder if i can break into peoples houses and clean them out like i could in UO?

If it's not a game mechanic, I'm sure one of the hundreds of available cheats will make it possible!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 13:19 NKD

Start a Patreon to cover costs. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pitch in, especially if you offer some good rewards like permanently banning Cutter.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
20. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 10:32 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:13:
Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 19:13:
Obsidian is behind schedule. Gee...what a surprise.

We've seen what happens when Obsidian rushes so your cynicism is a bit silly.

I'd be very scared of an Obsidian title that was "on time."

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
8. Re: ArcheAge Hits 2M Players Oct 3, 2014, 10:24 NKD

Game is a fucking mess, and I suspect most of those 2 million registered accounts are not actually playing anymore.

The game places a huge amount of trust in the client application which allows for some pretty ridiculous cheating that goes way beyond just your typical teleport hack.

The game is almost like a comical parody of what a sandbox game could or should be. The one guy I know still playing is only playing because he gets a good laugh out of seeing the ridiculous bugs, exploits and outright cheating and how liberally they are utilized in PvP.

Here's a screenshot of a bunch of Korean-named mobs killing people. Why is that unusual you ask? Because those aren't supposed to be there. Someone summoned them in using packet spoofing. From a code standpoint, there's zero excuse for why that should be possible.

And this shit runs rampant. You can give yourself buffs, remove debuffs, etc. And supposedly Trion cannot fix it. They are reliant on code drops from the mothership in Korea for this stuff, and they are on a significantly older patch of the game than Korea.

It's an unmitigated disaster.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2014, 10:30.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2014, 14:58 NKD

DangerDog wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 14:24:
Windows 10 start menu looks horrible compared to windows 7, even without the "metro" tiles it looks like someone's first day on the job attempt at making a start menu.

Start menu is for grandmas and morons anyway. WinKey + Type a few chars to get at less used stuff combined with most used stuff stickied to your taskbar eliminates any need for it. The good part of this is that in Win 8.1 by default that WinKey screen is full screen, in Windows 10, it won't be.

The Start menu is nothing anyone on this site should be concerned about. It's basically the training wheels for navigating Windows. It's slow and inefficient, but it's intuitive in a kind of old-fashioned way that appeals to people used to filing cabinets.

3479 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo