Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3421 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ArcheAge "Illicit Gains" Revoked
3. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 20:41 NKD

Maybe they could actually fix some of the exploits instead of just banning people weeks after the fact.

Oh wait, they can't, because they are dependent on code drops from the mothership in Korea and are like months behind the Korean versions codebase.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Riccitiello New Unity CEO
11. Re: John Riccitiello New Unity CEO Oct 22, 2014, 19:27 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 16:22:
The first step in EA acquiring Unity.

Also, how can Unity afford this guy? Maybe he's taking a massive pay cut because it's a passion project for him? Something doesn't add up here.

John used to be CEO of Sara Lee, you know, the people who make those desserts. Maybe Sara Lee is going to buy Unity. CONSPIRACCYYY!!!!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > etc., etc.
28. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 04:42 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 03:59:
Well yeah, but I don't know if you're characterizing the Pinsof thing accurately there...

Neither do I but it sure smells fishy. I am not sure a court would look on what he did very lightly at all.

You don't really have to do much to run astray of one of these laws. Especially in California. No legal department worth a damn will let you say anything about an employee except to confirm they were an employee. If your company still gives actual recommendations or talks about your employment, they probably won't for very long. My understanding is that this practice of "Say as little as possible" is becoming standard.

A lot of times companies get away with it because how the hell do you know if you got a bad recommendation? Your potential employer isn't going to say anything, they'll just move on and hire someone else. But in this case these dumbasses had a big pow-wow in a mailing list and everything they said about the employee back and forth is written down and was witnessed by dozens of people. As Squirmer was saying, people in industries talk to each other, but they aren't sitting there sending it over mailing lists that virtually every employer in the industry is reading, and proceeding to drop names. They aren't that foolish.

Even if it turns out it's not quite enough to break the law, they were incredibly stupid for bringing their internal employment matters into a mailing list with a bunch of companies. That is some seriously amateur level stupidity. They could still be on the hook for a defamation lawsuit.

But this is all speculation, it's by no means a sure thing.

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 01:32 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:59:
If it were found that journos from USAToday, CNN, MSNBC, and other mainstream media outlest were colluding about which stories to run and which to ignore, as well as which journos to not hire, it would be a big scandal, worthy of lead stories for quite a while. It may or may not actually be going on but outing it would be HUGE. Colluding to deceive and colluding to blacklist people is not sitting down to drinks after work.

Exactly. Now, conspiracy nuts have been telling us the mainstream media all colludes together forever, but there has been no solid proof and frankly I'm skeptical that would even be possible. But that's another debate for another time. But mainstream media and games media are not even close to being on the same scale. And their fundamental power structures are different.

Mainstream media runs on money and political favor currying. Contrary to popular belief, gaming journalism is not big dollars. Even the big fish like IGN and Gamespot are relatively small players. Their parent companies (j2 and CBS respectively) could shut down those sites entirely and never feel the sting. Smaller players like Destructoid? Probably barely covering their bills, and relying heavily on unpaid volunteers. And as far as politics go? They have zero political influence.

In short, these Game Journo Pros guys are big fish in a small pond. And a small pond is a lot easier to control. Smaller acts of collusion and corruption have much larger effects and are harder to counter. And as I said before, there's no inherent competition to provide any incentive to not play ball.

19. Re: etc., etc. Oct 22, 2014, 00:31 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 00:19:
NKD wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 20:04:
Mr. Pinsof decided that exposing the scam was more important than keeping the trans persons identity a secret.

I take it you don't feel that way? You'd have kept the person's identity a secret, even though he/she was 100% flat-out lying, and was scamming people out of their money?

I'm not sure that the decision to perpetrate a crime somehow should still afford you the right to remain anonymous.

Nah, I agree with Pinsof's original action. You shouldn't be able to use your gender status to shield your criminal acts or guilt people into not reporting your wrongdoings.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2014, 00:37.

16. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 23:55 NKD

Flatline wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 23:27:

It also kind of shoots the idea that gamejournopros isn't a list that occasionally embarks on collusion in the foot.

It's pretty clear that the Game Journo Pros list which some people here have defended as being innocuous is, in reality, a bad idea, both ethically and from a legal liability standpoint.

What's the value in having multiple voices to listen to, if they are all colluding to say the same thing? Even without intentional collusion, this kind of mailing list slowly, passively reinforces a kind of hivemind that colors peoples behavior.

In the real world, take a couple different outlets, like MSNBC and CNN. They have no reason to collude because they are effectively competitors. They have to fight for the attention of viewers. But in the games journalism world, people visit dozens of sources for news and opinions. There's no competition. If I post a clickbait story with a questionable premise, I'm not taking viewers away from anyone, I'm just adding them to my own. So... doesn't it sound like a cool idea for all those game journalists to work together to push controversial stories that benefit all of them? The extra signal boost provided by pushing the same story at the same time benefits them all, and helps keep the story in the headlines.

It's never a good thing to have the illusion of competition when there isn't actually any competition. People believe that "If all these competing voices agree, they must be right." When in reality, there's only one voice there.

7. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2014, 20:04 NKD

That whole Destructoid thing is a clusterfuck. I had a hard time parsing what was going on. Here's the summary as best I can tell:

Basically a dude named Allistair Pinsof who wrote for Destructoid fucked up last year while exposing an IndieGogo scam. Some person was running an IndieGogo for some game and to get life-saving surgery to remove some chunk of metal. Turns out it was a trans person just running a big scam to get money for sexual reassignment surgery. Mr. Pinsof decided that exposing the scam was more important than keeping the trans persons identity a secret. Outing this trans person got Destructoid a lot of heat, and some confusing shit ensued. Note that Mr. Pinsof is, to my understanding, an outspoken SJW, not some trans-phobic monster looking to destroy peoples lives.

Anyway, bottom line is Mr. Pinsof got fired and it appears that Dale North, Destructoid Editor-in-chief, may well have acted illegally when suggesting on the Game Journo Pros mailing list that other employers not hire Mr. Pinsof. There are laws in many states that make it illegal to "blacklist" potential employees in this way, and you open yourself up to huge liability.

This is why many employers will not give references. They will merely confirm you were an employee and that's it. Anything else is open to legal problems down the line. They certainly don't ask your potential future employers whether they should fire you or not, nor suggest, en masse via mailing list, that they do not hire you.

So now that this issue is getting public exposition, Dale's gotta go.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2014, 17:19 NKD

Can we get a dislike button for our comments section?  

News Comments > Metallica to Close BlizzCon
24. Re: Metallica to Close BlizzCon Oct 21, 2014, 16:33 NKD

Couldn't Blizzard afford someone relevant?  

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
77. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 21, 2014, 05:39 NKD

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 02:59:

I'm pretty sure Cutter blocked me as well, and I have no idea why. Anyway, I think the person behind the keyboard is really just role playing, is an excellent troll, and everyone falls for it every time.

Don't sweat it. Cutter blocks anyone who disagrees with him. But it's of little consequence because he is a hit-and-run poster. Even if he doesn't have you blocked, he has zero interest in discussion. He will post a top level comment, or sometimes reply to a comment, but only if it isn't directed at him. If you try to engage him in a discussion, you will get no response. If you outright refute or disagree with him, you'll find he never replies to one of your posts again, presumably because you've been blocked.

I've said this before, but he isn't knowledgeable or articulate enough to defend his position on anything, so to save face he doesn't even try. Of course that didn't work out so well for him here on Blues. We have a small enough posting user base that you're going to get caught being a chickenshit pretty quickly.

Really the best thing is to just ignore the guy. I sometimes reply to his posts for the benefit of other people who might read it, even though I know full well he has had me blocked for years. But in general it's just a good idea to recognize that Cutter is a joke and laugh at him accordingly. It's kind of like with Reagle. That guy is even more obviously mentally ill, but he's good for a laugh.

You literally have to advocate genocide to get banned from Blues, so I don't see him going away any time soon.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced
17. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced Oct 21, 2014, 05:17 NKD

A season pass is little more than a preorder for DLC. Take the same approach you'd take with a preorder for the base game. I.e. if you're smart, wait for reviews.

Some DLC is good value for money, some DLC is not. Buying a season pass is basically a gamble. It pays off if you want every DLC and want to play them all when they are new and they all turn out good, but otherwise you're just wasting dollars.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
16. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2014, 00:25 NKD

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 21, 2014, 00:10:

I haven't seen Gotham or Arrow, but my officemate says Arrow is kind of one those "guilty pleasure"-type shows: not great but reasonably enjoyable if you're willing to just kinda go with it.

What about The Walking Dead or Sons of Anarchy? I felt the first two episodes of the new season of The Walking Dead were reasonably good and getting back to what made the series interesting in the first place (i.e. exploring what is "moral" in a world of anarchy). SoA was a bit of a disappointment at first, but it started to get better around the 4th and 5th episodes.

Arrow is really just a great comic book TV show. It's not like Gotham where they are mixing a comic book show with a cop show. If you didn't know about Batman there's nothing in Gotham that would really giveaway the fact that it was based on a comic.

Arrow can be a bit campy, but so are most comics. Not sure I'd go so far as to call it a guilty pleasure. It's definitely a fun show. Good mix of humor and serious moments. It tries to keep the superpowers to a minimum to keep it a little more grounded. But it doesn't go full super-serious mode like the Nolan Batman movies. Good pace of character development too. Fast enough that you don't get bored waiting for a payoff, but not so fast that you can't keep track of it. Only weak link in the show IMHO is Laurel. The rest of the supporting characters are fantastic.

The Walking Dead is really getting back on its feet IMHO. That time they spent a whole season looking for Sophia was the worst part of the series, then it improved a bit, but went downhill again with the Governor and that whole lame and frustrating plot. But this season has started off pretty good. They didn't linger in Terminus for half a season like I expected, so I'm super happy with that.

As far as Sons of Anarchy, jesus, I don't even know whats going on. It's the final season so everything has gone nuts. A lot of plot movement in every episode. I'm liking it, but I wish it had one more season to sort of slow down this pacing.

14. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 21, 2014, 00:09 NKD

Squirmer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 23:32:
I don't know why you'd want to watch a Batman show with no Batman.

Frankly the lack of Batman is the best part about it. We just had a Batman trilogy. Batman is appearing yet again in the upcoming Superman movie. There's always some Batman animated series going on. Batman games come out like once a year. We have enough Batman.

In Gotham there's little distraction from exploring the other interesting characters. They don't spend a lot of time on the young Bruce Wayne. Gordon and Bullock make one of the most compelling detective teams I've seen in a police show.

The weak point of the show isn't the lack of Batman, but probably Jada Pinkett's Fish Mooney. She's a new character and they aren't making me give a shit about her in the least.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Oct 20, 2014, 23:16 NKD

Never heard of this company or this guy, but it sounds like he had an interesting career. Working for NASA with von Braun and then getting into audio.  

66. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 23:03 NKD

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:55:
It just goes go to show how sexist and misogynistic most gamers are when even a simple article about a slightly attractive woman leaving her gaming job brings out comments like this.

You are all dishonorably discharged.

Says the guy with a tacky picture of some cartoon chick with huge tits as his avatar?

10. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 22:52 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:27:
NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:07:
I propose that we create a new rule. If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about something else like hockey or TV shows we're watching.

Anyone been watching Gotham? What do you think so far? I feel like it has a lot of potential but it's not one of those shows I eagerly wait to watch each week. I've never really been able to get excited about procedurals. For example once Person of Interest became more about the overall plot and less about the number of the week, I liked it a lot more.

Hey, not a bad idea. Let me one up you:

If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about Star Citizen. Yes? Yes? YES!

Is it going to be the greatest game this decade, or the greatest game ever?

Holy shit this is the best idea ever.

STAR CITIZEN THREAD EVERYONE!

Is Chris Roberts a scammer, or MERELY A CON ARTIST!? You decide!!!

64. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 22:51 NKD

Redmask wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:04:

Sorry there is no way I'm not judging someone who only posts 'SO HOT DROOOL' on a videogame forum, that shit invites mockery especially in the recent overall context.

I didn't say they weren't stupid posts. You'll note I didn't post anything like that. I'm just saying that doing so doesn't imply anything positive or negative about Jade's accomplishments or work performance.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
57. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 22:40 NKD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:02:

On the flip side, I have a single 4TB drive that has written more than 10 times that amount and read more than 20 times that amount in two months and guess how many write delays I've had, let alone anything more serious like read failures, seek failures or sectors flagged as bad? ZERO! That's right, none!

Are you confused on the units of measurement being used here or something? A 4TB drive accruing 15 Petabytes of writes over 2 months would be nearly 3 Gigabytes per second 24/7. Last I checked, no 4TB drive exists that can read 3GB a second, let alone write it.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
56. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 22:19 NKD

shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:51:

First, there ARE magical compression algorithms which drastically reduce image size with minimal quality loss. You may be familiar with the general concept of such compression in form a JPEG file.

I think you misunderstand the concept of "magical". Everyone knows that quality lossy compression exists. Some of those compression methods are actually quite decent. (JPEG is not one of the decent ones BTW). But many are extremely computationally expensive and only save you another 7 or 8% of space over a method that takes 1/10th the computation. They are not suitable for real-time graphics.

The point is that if you're designing Game B in such a way that it has twice as much texture data as Game A, you're probably going to be hard pressed to find a way to maintain quality while saving a meaningful amount of space. For all intents and purposes, Game B is going to take roughly twice the space for its assets if it has twice as many assets.

There's no way around that. Textures are already compressed using very effective industry standard methods. There are no huge gains to be made there.

Optimization involves knowing when inactive textures can be swept into slower system memory. CoD series is hardly known for amazing open vistas with complex geography that you can explore up-close.

Indeed. That's why it's requiring 6GB system RAM, and only 1GB of VRAM. I'm not only talking about CoD here by the way.

How does this any of this apply to CoD games? They have neither super cool AI routines, nor large autonomous areas with freeform gameplay.

Their pathfinding is rudimentary, and all the cool stuff is rigidly pre-scripted.

It doesn't apply to CoD. At least not this title in particular. CoD appears to be asking for a really low end processor, the Core i3 530. These are just peeves of mine that people generally bitch about that I get tired of seeing.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 22:40.

4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 22:07 NKD

I propose that we create a new rule. If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about something else like hockey or TV shows we're watching.

Anyone been watching Gotham? What do you think so far? I feel like it has a lot of potential but it's not one of those shows I eagerly wait to watch each week. I've never really been able to get excited about procedurals. For example once Person of Interest became more about the overall plot and less about the number of the week, I liked it a lot more.

3421 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo