Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3563 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
29. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 8, 2014, 12:15 NKD

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 08:10:
NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 22:15:
Yeah I don't get why a retailer would give a fuck about what the publisher wants to charge... I must be missing something.
Because it undermines the platform, as some publishers can charged unreasonable amounts while having normal prices on their own service.

Uh, aren't the prices for these games same on Uplay and Origin as they would be for Steam? I can't see the UK prices..

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
16. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 7, 2014, 22:15 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 22:12:

That seems odd. Why would Steam care? They get 30% of a higher price.

Yeah I don't get why a retailer would give a fuck about what the publisher wants to charge... I must be missing something.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
40. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 18:28 NKD

Meh, not a big TF2 fan. Would have liked to have seen where this would have gone as an MMOFPS.  

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
53. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:15 NKD

Quboid wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:59:

Edit: if it's just the UK, why? Temporary legal issue, or test run?

There was speculation about regional pricing disputes or something. But I have no idea why that would lead to a temporary removal of their upcoming titles from other regions. I wish one of these companies would fucking just say something already instead of making us guess.

44. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:45 NKD

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:24:
Unfortunately, as Origin has proved, removing your games from Steam is simply going to stop many people from buying your games.

I don't think it's proved anything of the kind. BF3 and BF4 sold millions and millions of copies. ME3 was by far the best selling title in the series. Pre-orders for DA:I are the highest in Bioware's history, across all platforms.

It's obviously working well enough that EA is sticking with it.

The skepticism around Origin didn't really pan out. Yeah, a lot of us hardcore grognards try to avoid it, but most PC gamers don't give a fuck and go where the game they want is. After all, if you look at it objectively the icon you click to get the game going is a pretty minor concern compared to whether the game is actually any good. EA's numbers since moving to Origin look good, so it's hard to call their move stupid.

42. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:37 NKD

Crisis averted, looks like they are back on Steam everywhere except the UK.  

17. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 11:00 NKD

nin wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:22:
Their funeral. I suspect they're going to try their own for the holiday season, and when it flops, they'll be back on steam in the spring.

I doubt they are going to have problems shipping lots of copies of Assassins Creed and Far Cry dude. Nevermind the fact that they get most of their sales off consoles, but their PC fan base isn't going to skip games just because they aren't on Steam. Particularly since they already have and use uPlay.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 10:14 NKD

A definitive version of the ME trilogy would be nice. All the DLCs included, maybe a few graphical updates for ME1. Looks like they aren't planning on making huge gameplay changes, so the gameplay of ME1 would stay intact for example.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up
2. Re: Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up Nov 7, 2014, 09:52 NKD

Way to not clarify anything dude. Jesus this is why companies are forced to have PR teams. Game developers have zero ability to keep it simple.  

4. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 09:48 NKD

Darks wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:41:
I see Ubi still hasn't learned their lesson. I guess ill be skipping their games from now on.

This could very well be Valve's fault. Note that Origin and other retailers still have the titles available, so it's not like Ubisoft is pulling back and forcing everyone to ONLY use Uplay, which you already have to use anyway.

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Nov 6, 2014, 22:43 NKD

Rockstar is incredibly out of touch with PC gamers. The whole "lets put an obnoxious DRM in" thing went out of style for most decent developers a long time ago. We still get some questionable decisions regarding online requirements, but that's the exception. This isn't 2003 any more. Intrusive DRM was deemed to be too much hassle to be worthwhile.

We can only hope this news is untrue.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 6, 2014, 21:38 NKD

Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 21:22:
Axis wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 20:17:
NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 19:40:
Ebola panickers are fucking ignorant putzes on par with climate deniers and anti-vaxxers, but there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution a bit. It's not like thousands of Americans are being indefinitely detained.

Says the climate panickers...

Don't worry, Senator Inhofe will soon be chairing the Environmental and Public Works Committee. He's a man grounded in solid scientific, evidence based, theory:
“[T]he Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that ‘as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night.’ My point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.”

I'm sure he's got some great ideas on dealing with Ebola as well.

We'll replace quarantines with faith healing prayer circles. That should work right? God damn how fucked up must a country be to have their most influential politician on the environment be a CLIMATE DENYING RELIGIOUS NUT?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 20:23 NKD

beremot wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 19:50:

Are Wu, etc, really going on twitter and saying "I'm getting all these rape and death threats, and that is EXACTLY the same as if I were actually being raped and murdered?"

No that's not what she is saying. And I don't believe that there's anything fundamentally wrong with saying "These two things are both related to misogyny." because that's absolutely true. But that's not what was said.

Here's the link to the Tweet.

Police investigating 4chan link to murdered woman. Gamergate, tell me again how my life isn't in danger

She suggests that this case lends credibility to the online threats she received. Even though there were no online threats that we know of, the man was the woman's live-in boyfriend, and had a documented history of domestic violence and threats. The dynamics of this problem are different, so the solution and the conversation must also be different. History and statistics show us that domestic violence is a clear and present danger for many women. Being murdered by an anonymous Twitter user is not. There simply isn't a history of people making good on these threats. It's everyone's right to have an irrational fear not backed up by the numbers. You can't help being afraid of whatever you're afraid of. You can't shut it off.

But when you start voicing that fear publicly, don't be surprised when people accuse you of fear-mongering and generalization.

I have no objection to her stating that these things are related vis-a-vis misogyny, which they are. But the timing and context of her tweet are in poor taste and make it look like she's making it about herself and somehow comparing her situation to the situation of an actual abuse victim who probably lived every day in fear of a known credible threat who shared her home.

If she had simply linked to the story and said "This is scary shit!" or something, the entire tone of her tweet would have been different. But no, she had to name drop Gamergate, which immediately colors things differently.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 6, 2014, 19:40 NKD

Ebola panickers are fucking ignorant putzes on par with climate deniers and anti-vaxxers, but there's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution a bit. It's not like thousands of Americans are being indefinitely detained.  

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Nov 6, 2014, 19:15 NKD

I trust Disney with Star Wars a lot more than I trusted George Lucas, the fucking diva.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Nov 6, 2014, 19:02 NKD

If this post is to be believe, GTA5 for PC is going to be using additional DRM. No word yet on whether this will affect modding or if it's an "always online" DRM, or whatever.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 6, 2014, 17:33 NKD

War on Drugs gentlemen, the pinnacle of success.

Fucking hell I wish I had the money to move out of this country.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
3. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 6, 2014, 17:19 NKD

Wow a Star Citizen funding thread. Any guesses on how this one is gonna go?  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
31. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 6, 2014, 15:58 NKD

I wish Ubisoft and Valve would stop fighting each other all the time.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 6, 2014, 15:50 NKD

beremot wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 14:30:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 11:30:

The truth never stopped anyone from twisting a tragedy to meet their own agenda.

That agenda would be ... what? Tying misogyny online to misogyny in the real world? Tying misogyny online to the way some men abuse women in the real world? Like there could be no actual connection between those things?

I think what he takes exception to, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, is the same thing I take exception to. That is, comparing bullshit anonymous online trolling to the very real threat of domestic violence. Many of us have family members who had to live in terror of an abusive husband or boyfriend and couldn't just avoid them by not opening up Twitter. Family members who had to endure physical abuse weekly or even daily. Thankfully, I personally haven't lost a family member to domestic violence. But both my grandmother and aunt have dealt with it. My grandmother was married to an abusive man from the time she was in her 30s until the day she died of cancer in her late 60s. He only OCCASIONALLY beat and raped her, and calmed down a bit as he got older. Many women have it even worse. Her biggest regret was never leaving him and that this abusive asshole was going to out live her.

You think someones online Twitter threats are real, and scary? How about 30 years of living with the person sending those threats? How about like the woman in the story who probably knew, with certainty, that the very person she lived with was violent enough to kill, but was too scared to leave?

Misogyny? The real misogyny is thinking that because you possess a vagina and have mean things said to you online that you can somehow understand what the real domestic abuse and real fear are like. Brianna Wu is a rich trust fund kid who has no understanding of what it's like to feel trapped because you're financially dependent on someone who beats the fuck out of you, or forces you to have sex with them.

I believe these things DO stem from the same misogynistic attitudes, but that's an academic argument that ignores the huge practical differences, and is a discussion not suited to Twitter where 140 characters just makes you look like you're trying to claim your own little problems are somehow comparable in severity and scope.

3563 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo