Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3564 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
57. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 22:40 NKD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:02:

On the flip side, I have a single 4TB drive that has written more than 10 times that amount and read more than 20 times that amount in two months and guess how many write delays I've had, let alone anything more serious like read failures, seek failures or sectors flagged as bad? ZERO! That's right, none!

Are you confused on the units of measurement being used here or something? A 4TB drive accruing 15 Petabytes of writes over 2 months would be nearly 3 Gigabytes per second 24/7. Last I checked, no 4TB drive exists that can read 3GB a second, let alone write it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 22:19 NKD

shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:51:

First, there ARE magical compression algorithms which drastically reduce image size with minimal quality loss. You may be familiar with the general concept of such compression in form a JPEG file.

I think you misunderstand the concept of "magical". Everyone knows that quality lossy compression exists. Some of those compression methods are actually quite decent. (JPEG is not one of the decent ones BTW). But many are extremely computationally expensive and only save you another 7 or 8% of space over a method that takes 1/10th the computation. They are not suitable for real-time graphics.

The point is that if you're designing Game B in such a way that it has twice as much texture data as Game A, you're probably going to be hard pressed to find a way to maintain quality while saving a meaningful amount of space. For all intents and purposes, Game B is going to take roughly twice the space for its assets if it has twice as many assets.

There's no way around that. Textures are already compressed using very effective industry standard methods. There are no huge gains to be made there.

Optimization involves knowing when inactive textures can be swept into slower system memory. CoD series is hardly known for amazing open vistas with complex geography that you can explore up-close.

Indeed. That's why it's requiring 6GB system RAM, and only 1GB of VRAM. I'm not only talking about CoD here by the way.

How does this any of this apply to CoD games? They have neither super cool AI routines, nor large autonomous areas with freeform gameplay.

Their pathfinding is rudimentary, and all the cool stuff is rigidly pre-scripted.

It doesn't apply to CoD. At least not this title in particular. CoD appears to be asking for a really low end processor, the Core i3 530. These are just peeves of mine that people generally bitch about that I get tired of seeing.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 22:40.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 22:07 NKD

I propose that we create a new rule. If a comment thread has an article related to GamerGate in it, we talk about something else like hockey or TV shows we're watching.

Anyone been watching Gotham? What do you think so far? I feel like it has a lot of potential but it's not one of those shows I eagerly wait to watch each week. I've never really been able to get excited about procedurals. For example once Person of Interest became more about the overall plot and less about the number of the week, I liked it a lot more.

News Comments > Door Kickers Released
3. Re: Door Kickers Released Oct 20, 2014, 21:59 NKD

Oh well, open and shut case Johnson. Let's sprinkle some crack on him and get out of here.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 20, 2014, 21:56 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:51:
That Paranautical guy sounds like a real winner.

Personally, I had no idea Reagle was developing games.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
58. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 21:49 NKD

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:50:
Are you saying that Professional Victim *isn't* a solid career choice?

Hard to keep it up in the long run. People are fickle and will tire of you easily. They gotta keep up with the times and you risk being dethroned by an actual victim who needs actual support from the community.

BitWraith wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:07:
Because it would appear that her worth is weighed not on her job performance, but rather on her looks?

Her job performance matters to her bosses. Her professionalism matters to her co-workers. But for most of the people here, they'll never have any first-hand knowledge of any of that. All they can say for certain is that she is gorgeous and they find her attractive.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as you're not implying that she banged her way into the industry or wouldn't have a job if not for her good looks. We've heard little to nothing negative about Jade or any drama she has caused from industry insiders, and she has been there 10 years. It's safe to assume that she's the real deal and not just a pretty face. But there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that part either.

For example, that cartoon is awful and crude and in poor taste. But just saying "Wow this girl is smokin' hot" is nothing more than an acknowledgement of attraction. It says nothing about her beyond that unless you're adding meaning to it with your own assumptions.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced
8. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Announced Oct 20, 2014, 21:33 NKD

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:11:
Ah another one to wait for the complete edition. They're making it easy not to spend any money on games this fall season.

Are they? A lot of pretty good games have been coming out recently, and there are more to come I am sure. It's going to be a very tough choice for a lot of people.

41. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 16:30 NKD

ViRGE wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 16:20:
I challenge anyone here to prove that the specs are a result of a lazy PC port.

This is a pet peeve of mine. These morons bitch about games not utilizing PC hardware because consoles. But then when the next generations of consoles launches and requirements finally shoot up, they bitch that apparently the fact that it wants more hardware is now a NEGATIVE because of consoles.

What the actual fuck? Does no one see the logical disconnect there? Upgrade your shitty wooden PCs or switch to knitting or golf.

Some related peeves.

"Hurp durp, why so much VRAM, these textures aren't ULTRA SUPER MEGA RESOLUTION"

Because the memory is used to create MORE textures, not just wasting it all on the diminishing returns of having a super high resolution texture on that piece of rubble no one is going to be paying attention to. There are also other "textures" mapped to objects beyond the base art, like normal maps and whatever else.

"Why so much CPU, the AI is still sucks!"

Because the CPU is being used elsewhere for basic game logic. Like so much else, it's a trade off. You can have five guys with super cool AI routines, or you can have a fully populated city with more rudimentary NPCs running around. Plus you have to actually account for the AI in your gameplay, it's not as simple as just turning up the "Smart" dial to 11.

"My hard drive is literally a record player from 1937. Why they need so much space?"

Because more art assets equals more space. There are no magical compression algorithms that take away the basic fact that more pixels of art means more bits of space.

The list goes on and on.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2014, 16:43.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
16. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 16:17 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:38:
Glad to hear she's apparently leaving of her own volition and not because of gamergate or harassment.

Haha. Yeah it's strange how when you actually make games and do your job instead of trolling and belittling people on Twitter, you get harassed less.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
39. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 20, 2014, 04:45 NKD

Ray Ban wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 04:42:

I don't know. I thought Wolfenstein: The New Order was pretty excellent.

New Order looked great. It's got the usual trade off of id Tech 5 which is trading in super high res textures for less texture re-use. But that's very subjective, and the art direction was spot-on for a Wolfenstein game. The performance was good as well.

Saying "Oh, id tech 5" is basically giving the developers of Evil Within a free pass. That engine is capable of more than what they did with it and that's on them.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
49. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 20, 2014, 04:29 NKD

InBlack wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 03:31:
Everyone is so quick to punish the gamer, calling it a TOXIC CULTURE. Why is that? What is wrong with people, why is there so much prejudice everywhere?

I have a few ideas about what is going on, and why you see so much toxic crap in response to relatively mundane stuff. For example, the disproportionate response to Anita Sarkeesian, who is a nobody in terms of actual feminist causes, and who never really said anything too controversial. Her videos were just pointing out obvious cliches everyone already knew about and had been poking fun at for decades. The only reason anyone is talking about her is because of the hate she gets. Her actual contributions to anything are basically zero. So if she didn't do anything of note, why did it get such a nasty response from certain people?

Some gamers can be very defensive. This is because, unlike what the so-called feminists want you to believe, a lot of gamers do not consider themselves to be a privileged group. They've been bullied, they've been social outcasts. A lot of gamers are not financially well-off. Many are not only gamers, but members of other groups that are unfairly ostracized. Many straight males in gaming have little or no experience dealing with women. They were often ridiculed and mistreated by girls while growing up. LGBTQ gamers have dealt with even worse. Game culture, for them, has become their comfort zone. Gamers can be cruel to each other, but they can also be really kind to each other and identify with each others plights. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than what they are experiencing in their personal lives. Often overcome by loneliness, and not having many people to turn to.

Then comes along a bunch of non-gamers making a big ol' scene. They say a lot of things, and some of them sound an awful lot like the same stereotypes and cruel things said about you in the real world. Most of what they are saying is innocuous, some of it even makes sense, but the only things you can hear are the things that remind you once again that you're not cool. Your friends and hobby are "offensive" and "problematic." Your reason and logic go out the window, all you feel is your comfort zone being chipped away.

Think about it from the perspective of those among the gaming community who are less fortunate and have had bad social experiences in their lives. The ones who use gaming as their escape from an otherwise lonely and cruel life.

These loud voices, mostly coming from relatively well-to-do, popular, white professionals, do not resonate with you. They do not sound like the voices of a fellow outcast looking for their fair shake. They sound like the next generation of the bullies who hassled you in junior high. In the 21st century, it's not the jock who is cool, but the socially savvy hipster who makes use of social media to garner a massive following. They have thousands of Twitter followers, millions of YouTube subscribers, and other well-to-do people lavishing sympathy and attention upon them.

Sure, those of us with a little more confidence and a little more social savvy can see where both sides are coming from, and can see that both groups have had issues with social inequality, despite being privileged in many ways. But for the more awkward gamers, they just feel like they are being bullied once again, this time in their own backyard.

So of course they bite back irrationally. Trolling and sending anonymous threats. You can hardly fault them for their life experiences that have left them bitter and unsympathetic to your claims of oppression. Not every gamer is like that, but you can hardly be surprised or shocked when people who have been bullied, outcast, and disenfranchised are not super receptive to the cries of oppression from some popular Internet celebrities.

It's terribly asymmetrical as well. Let's look at the outliers, the people being straight up bullies. On the "gamer" side you have anonymous trolls and threats. Virtually everyone disregards them as the meaningless flailing they are. But on the "feminist" side, the people doing the bullying have ACTUAL BULLY PULPITS. They have thousands of followers, editor status on some high traffic website, and an army to retweet every thing they say.

TL;DR: These feminists playing the victim don't go over too well with some gamers because from their perspective it looks a lot like cool popular kids trying to pretend they know the plight of the outcast and the marginalized. They themselves feel marginalized, which makes the sting of being painted a privileged misogynist scumbag even harder to bear. The less stable among these marginalized gamers will indeed lash out irrationally, and you'd have to have been blind to not see that coming.

News Comments > etc.
64. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 18:50 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 18:29:
NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:55:
Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:29:

That doesn't mean every member of GamerGate. This is basic English; "GamerGate presented enough of a perceived danger" means that they think the danger comes entirely from GamerGate, it does not mean that they think the entirety of GamerGate is a danger.

You're sitting there playing semantic grammar games and completely ignoring the intent and tone of the entire article.

You have invented a tone that confirms your pre-presumed conclusion - that you're a victim. It's not a semantic grammar game, it's the very significant mistake that your righteous indignation won't let you see because it unravels the whole "they're criticising me therefore this sentence criticises me therefore they're criticising me" fallacy that started the GamerGate anger.

Maybe you ought to read more than the first sentence of my post.

25. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 17:46 NKD

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 17:37:
NKD wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 15:25:
Gotta give her credit where it's due, this is a masterfully played scam.

This is what happens when you have pseudo-celebrities that are borne of social media. There are plenty of other examples where the victim/target ended up covering their tracks (deleting tweets and whatnot), posting denials, having critics silenced, etc. I'm not at all involved in this, don't even follow it, yet even I have seen it done several times in the last few months. I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it a "scam," what I'd call it is closer to the "drama" I knew and loved when playing at a high raiding level in MMOs. These are people who are seeking some sort of validation that in the old days would get kicked to the curb, but now have the tools and fools at their disposal to wield "agendas."

Yeah, scam might be the wrong word. It's more of a ruse or act. I don't think anyone is being tricked out of money, exactly. She's expertly leveraging both her haters and her supporters for her personal gain, but it's not like she's bilking them out of money. And in fact they get something out of it too. The haters get to vent their frustrations, and the supporters get the self-validation that comes with sticking up for someone you perceive to be a victim. She channels all this into her own popularity. This can and will benefit her greatly, but not really at anyone's expense. It's a pretty fair quid pro quo all around.

News Comments > etc.
62. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 17:28 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 17:00:
These are factual statements. It doesn't mean all gamers. And "gamer" isn't really a protected class and I think a lot of people find it odd that some view it similarly to religion.

Come on Beamer. A statement can be factual and still be dishonest, misleading, or borderline slanderous. If you're really going to defend what someone is saying, you can't do it by playing games with technicalities, grammar, and cold logic. That's the game of politicians and lawyers.

A debate isn't a math equation. You can be 100% factual while still being dishonest and misleading.

News Comments > etc.
59. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 16:55 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 16:29:

That doesn't mean every member of GamerGate. This is basic English; "GamerGate presented enough of a perceived danger" means that they think the danger comes entirely from GamerGate, it does not mean that they think the entirety of GamerGate is a danger.

You're sitting there playing semantic grammar games and completely ignoring the intent and tone of the entire article.

No, they didn't say literally every supporter of GamerGate is a baby murderer. But they said they were scared for their lives and were very specific to mention that some of their staff had babies.

Those of us with more than two brain cells and a bit of objectivity recognize this kind of language as the same kind of disgusting smearing you see from conservative pro-life politicians trying to skirt libel and slander laws to equate their opponents with baby-killing. No, we're not going to accuse you of wanting to murder babies, but we're going to talk about our kids and say we're scared.

Tell me, how is the fact that some of their children are under 1 year old relevant to the article? Have there been reports of SOME GamerGate supporters killing their opponents or their children? Have there been reports of GamerGate supporters showing up to anyone's home? Have there been reports of GamerGate supporters doing ANYTHING worse than emailing and Tweeting anonymous threats?

They know exactly what they are doing when they post that shit. They are riling up their supporters and smearing their critics by associating them with a fear of violent reprisal that has no basis in fact.

News Comments > etc.
55. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 15:36 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 15:02:
Yes you did. You implied they were claiming to feel threatened by everybody who is concerned about how game journalists go about their business, which you very clearly are.

They wrote that line because they have been receiving threats, and because that is pertinent to the editorial and to the specific point that was being made. They didn't imply otherwise, you inferred the wrong thing and then implied that it applied to you when it didn't, i.e. you made the same mistake that is behind most of the recent GamerGate outcry.

They said they were scared. They said they perceived GamerGate was a danger to them and their families. They literally said that. They didn't imply it, nor did I infer anything. It's what they fucking said. I don't see how they could be more clear in what they are saying.

4. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 15:25 NKD

Gotta give her credit where it's due, this is a masterfully played scam. She's done nothing of note in terms of feminism and helping disenfranchised women around the world, and her videos weren't starting any real dialogue. So what does she do? Make a big deal out of people being mean on the Internet, and be as loud as possible.

It's worked out pretty well. Even more mainstream sources are starting to lavish sympathy upon her for the terrible ordeal she's been through on Twitter. And the more press she gets, the more hate she gets, which gets her more press. Eventually she'll write a best selling book, and sell some movie rights.

Something to think about: If it was Boogie2988 from YouTube making a huge deal out of the threats he's received, leaving his home, how many press outlets would be interested in telling the story of an obese straight white male gamer being "forced out of his home?"

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2014, 15:30.

News Comments > etc.
50. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2014, 13:24 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 08:19:

You made yourself into a victim by distorting what Polygon said.

I'm nobody's victim, and never claimed to be. Polygon's smear rag doesn't hurt me personally. It just makes them look silly.

Come on, you don't think it's tacky to say something along the lines of "Well I wasn't originally going to write this article critical of GamerGate, because I didn't want to put our staff's children in danger."?

It's very clear what they were implying and it's silly to pretend otherwise. They wouldn't have written that line if they didn't either A) Feel their lives were in danger or B) Wanted other people to think they felt that way.

News Comments > etc.
41. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 22:47 NKD

nin wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 22:23:

It must be tiring, being a professional victim 24/7.

Hey, it's worked for her. If she hadn't publicized the threats and played up the victim status at every turn, she wouldn't be getting ANY mainstream attention. She admits even in this article that her videos are nothing special, and that the content is rather boring and non-controversial, and I agree. If she had ignored the haters like most people do, no one would know who she is. She is literally famous because people were mean to her on the Internet.

It's crazy to think about: She now effectively gets paid to receive meaningless threats over the Internet.

And since the people dishing out the threats are too dumb to realize they are giving her exactly what she wants, they will continue doing so. The threats are literally the only thing keeping them in the headlines.

News Comments > etc.
39. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 22:13 NKD

sdgundamx wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 21:34:

Well, there's a couple of things wrong with that argument.

First, you don't speak for "the rest of us." What you're really saying is that they didn't act the way you would have acted in that situation. It's a bit unreasonable to expect everyone to act exactly the way you do.

Then why did you ask what I would have them do? You asked, chief. I was just answering.

But let's say for the sake of argument it IS reasonable. If the feminists receiving threats need to STFU about them then it logically follows that GG supporters getting threats need to STFU about it too. Otherwise the position is hypocritical--it's okay for my side to do it but not theirs.

Yes, everyone who thinks these Twitter threats are legitimate preludes to actual violence are ignoring objective reality and need to shut the fuck up and stop playing the victim, regardless of their opinions on other matters.

Like I said, it's a statistical fact that nothing is likely to come from these Twitter threats. That's not my opinion. It's not in any way subjective. It's an outcome that almost never happens. It's not reasonable to flee your home or post articles where you claim you're worried someone will kill your newborn child.

3564 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo