Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3429 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
74. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 09:47 NKD

PHJF wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 08:54:
I've noticed that after killing SOME captains, instead of seeing their heads on pikes at the Sauron's Army screen, it shows them simply lying on the ground.

I think the ones who show up on spikes are dead-dead, but the others can come back to haunt you? Not sure.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RIFT: Nightmare Tide Open Beta Now; Launch Next Week
9. Re: RIFT: Nightmare Tide Open Beta Now; Launch Next Week Oct 1, 2014, 07:59 NKD

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 06:51:
Rift or Archeage? Hmmm

Let me make your choice easy for you.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > RIFT: Nightmare Tide Open Beta Now; Launch Next Week
7. Re: RIFT: Nightmare Tide Open Beta Now; Launch Next Week Oct 1, 2014, 01:01 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 22:17:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 18:30:
1. This is the wrong video
2. I've been coming here for ..jesus, 2 decades? I have no idea how to reach Blue.
3. Is Rift still doing well? I thought that since the MMOs that came after didn't really do that well, maybe Rift would've folded by now? Good for them if they are still doing well.

Contact nin on Steam. Tell nin what happened. nin leaves his van and walks across the street to inform Blue.

TADA!

I thought nin parked his van behind Rockstar HQ for optimal distance to give back alley tuggies?

59. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Oct 1, 2014, 01:00 NKD

Been playing this all day. Tons of fun.

The one thing I'd recommend to people is not to just cut down all the Captains while they are level 3 noobs. The game is too easy that way and you don't get any good runes for your weapons. Don't be afraid to advance time and let some of the power struggles play out to groom some badass captains for you to kill.

Those level 3 and 4 guys are jokes because they are almost always vulnerable to 2 or more types of instakills.

Some of the tougher guys I've fought took me a good 10-15 minutes of running around trying to find any opportunity to get past their stupidly overpowered shield and ability to just throw me down when I try to leap over them to get behind.

But yeah, it's an incredibly fun game and you can make it as easy or as hard as you want on yourself.

27. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 13:27 NKD

PHJF wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 13:21:
Player starts out as a god, and only get stronger from there.

Tell that to some of these fucking orc captains who I've let get too big for the britches. They have like zero weaknesses left aside from like nuclear ordnance which doesn't exist in Middle Earth. Gotta work on getting some more creative solutions. Maybe go for unlocking that skill that lets me turn orcs to my side and use them as fodder.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Trailer Sep 30, 2014, 05:40 NKD

Performance seems really good. Note that if you use SLI, Nvidia somehow failed to get an SLI profile ready for this ahead of time. I forced AFR2 in the control panel and that got SLI going. It seems to scale really well with SLI too.

2560x1440, Ultra, everything maxed out etc, solid 60fps. My system is pretty beefy but I've had no stutters or other weird issues like I've had with some other PC ports recently.

EDIT: Holy fuck this game is fun. Wouldn't go so far as to recommend the game yet, haven't seen enough to judge, but first impression is that they need to just stop making those fucking no-kill pussy Batman games and make more of this. The things I'm doing to these orcs just ain't right man.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2014, 06:18.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Open Beta & Launch Next Month
8. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Open Beta & Launch Next Month Sep 30, 2014, 00:13 NKD

Not sure why they licensed FEAR to these idiots. Make a few bucks I guess, but still.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue PC Hint
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue PC Hint Sep 29, 2014, 10:43 NKD

Ubisoft is pretty good about putting nearly everything on PC so I imagine it will come eventually. But I doubt it will come out at the same time as the console versions, seeing as how Unity and Rogue came out on the same day, I doubt they'd release two PC Assassins Creed games on the same day.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2014, 17:32 NKD

Saboth wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 17:02:
Cpmartins wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 15:35:
Having a blast with Wasteland 2, baring a few bugs. What an incredibly fun RPG. A true successor to the original, one of the very first games I have ever played. Can't recommend enough.

Also Starpoint Gemini 2 was released this week, another very fun RPG/Action hybrid. Watch a few videos and give it a try if you are interested.

Looking forward to Middle-Earth: SoM, but I'm not preordering. Looks good though.

I got Gemini 2 today and have been playing around with it. Seems like a lot of good reviews and the community loves it. Still trying to get the hang of what I'm supposed to be doing though. So far, just did a few of the story missions and flying around doing little missions here and there. Lots of things to learn about. I think the only thing I don't like is you can only save when docked, and it can take a few minutes to fly to a docking station.

Just a reminder: PTE mode. Bring up the middle mouse button context menu and hit Power To Engines. That speeds you up considerably. It's like cruise mode in Freelancer. That, combined with putting all your energy transfer into Engines will get you moving very fast.

I didn't know about that for the first hour or so I was playing and it made things a little too slow

News Comments > X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder
2. Re: X-Rebirth DLC Free to Preorder Sep 28, 2014, 14:35 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 28, 2014, 14:23:
50 bucks for a very broken game, and then you want to release paid DLC?

So long Egosoft, it was nice knowing you.

Eh, they've done a lot of work on the game even after the cold reception it got. Most developers just wash their hands of a project when it doesn't sell particularly well. It's still not a particularly good game, but they didn't abandon it.

It will have also been over a year since release by the time this DLC comes out. I think that's an adequate period of fixing the game up before releasing new content.

Plus giving people a month to get it for free is good.

I don't think releasing a stinker makes you obligated to give everything away for free until the end of time or until your company goes under.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 28, 2014, 14:06 NKD

How does it compare to adjusting something on your dash, reading a book, putting on makeup, turning around to slap at your misbehaving kid, daydreaming, holding a conversation with a passenger, or staring at a roadside advertisement?

Good luck getting rid of all the distractions people have while driving. The biggest distraction, in my experience, is just spacing out. I find myself doing it all the time.

Most people don't like driving, but because of a lack of appropriate public transportation (particularly in the US) they are forced to do so to make a living. Repeatedly driving the same route at the same times of day conditions people to space out and not pay attention. Any repetitive activity that doesn't require a lot of thought does this to humans. Add a pre-existing level of fatigue such as just waking up in the morning, or having just gotten off a hard days work, and the problem becomes even worse.

This major focus on cell phones or other devices rings a bit hollow when the cars themselves come loaded with potential electronic distractions, and when people just find other ways to distract themselves in lieu of a phone.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2014, 23:53 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 21:56:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 15:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 11:24:
That law has to change, it is so outdate. I can record you no problem, but if it's voice...problem. Why? Why is one even more damning ok and the other isn't?

No, it's not. Informed consent is important for myriad reasons.

I just don't get why video then isn't. I don't get how one is and the other isn't or neither.

NSA doesn't seem to have issue with audio.

First, ignore Cutter, he's a delusional schizophrenic who thinks he's a lawyer, when in actuality he's a bigger stain on Canada than Bieber.

As to your question, it applies to audio, and not video, because of the wording of most of these laws. They were written to govern the recording of conversations and phone calls, which a video without audio does not do. (Well, unless you're a really good lip reader I suppose, but that's outside the wording of these laws.).

As far as the laws changing, most states already have "one party" consent laws for recording. I.e. as long as you're part of the conversation, you can record it. Other states will probably follow suit soon enough.

There are two issues here with the system they've put in the car.

The first is the obvious one, in some states you cannot record a conversation without the consent of all parties.

The second problem is that you're not present at all. Which means you are not an involved party, and even in "one party" consent states you wouldn't be able to legally record the audio without consent.

But it can be worked around by giving a notification that audio is being recorded. Courts have ruled that if you're told you're being recorded, and continue to speak, that is implied consent. So consent in this case is more of a notification. It's not like you need a written waiver or anything.

For example when you call up Comcast to bitch about your internet sucking for the 50th time this month and it says "Call may be monitored for quality assurance" or whatever, that's how they comply with the recording laws. If you talk after hearing that warning, you're consenting to the conversation being recorded and Comcast or whatever customer service line you're calling is covered legally.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
12. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 27, 2014, 14:06 NKD

Having a bitch of a time trying to capture ships. Can't even reliably capture a 12 crew gunship in my starter gunship. Got lucky a couple times but still don't have enough scratch for a better ship, and my rank just keeps going up so things are getting tougher.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players
22. Re: Path of Exile Boasts 7M Players Sep 26, 2014, 22:19 NKD

Redmask wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 22:04:
Path of Mehxile. Great build depth but boring combat. It was free so no complaints but not going back any time soon.

That's how I felt about it. Haven't had any urges to play it in a long time. It's just boring and, honestly, it lacks any kind of character. It feels incredibly generic.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: FIFA 15 Sep 26, 2014, 22:11 NKD

What the fuck that's such a bizarre bug.

I imagine they were using computer name as a seed for some PRNG routine and a short name would somehow generate an invalid seed.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 26, 2014, 15:16 NKD

#GamerGateSG-1  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
27. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 13:03 NKD

Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:40:
NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 12:33:
And it's pretty hilarious that you mentioned Skyrim. Skyrim is the perfect example of how not to take advantage of modern hardware. Muddy ass 5 pixel textures that you immediately have to replace with high rez modded ones that, surprise, eat up VRAM like candy.

And then cause the engine to fucking crash.

Yeah. God that engine is so crusty.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
23. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 12:33 NKD

descender wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 11:18:

I don't understand how the amount of memory they are using could have increased so tremendously, while the games simply don't look any better than older PC games. Is it going to look better than Skyrim did running on a 1GB video card? I highly doubt that it will.

Higher resolution textures, more textures, and less pop-in don't necessarily guarantee a game will look amazing, but it does utilize more memory.

The thing about memory is that having tons of it sitting there empty does you little good. Empty VRAM does not increase your performance. That's memory that could be put to use. I don't know what world you live in where the hallmark of "good programmers" is not taking advantage of the hardware they are presented with.

And it's pretty hilarious that you mentioned Skyrim. Skyrim is the perfect example of how not to take advantage of modern hardware. Muddy ass 5 pixel textures that you immediately have to replace with high rez modded ones that, surprise, eat up VRAM like candy.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Trailer
12. Re: The Witcher 3 Trailer Sep 26, 2014, 08:51 NKD

nin wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 08:32:
siapnar wrote on Sep 25, 2014, 21:22:
I really can't see this game not being amazing.

Hopefully an upgrade to a 970 with my 3570k and 16 gigs of RAM will max this baby

I can't wait for it to ship, so they can start talking about Cyberpunk!

No kidding. I'm way more excited about that than Witcher.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
50. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 26, 2014, 06:23 NKD

No one even knows what they are arguing about or for anymore. Even here on Blue's trying to follow the conversation is nigh impossible. Are we arguing about sexism? Is it about de-facto censorship? Is it journalistic integrity? Is it global warming? Are CEOs paid too much? Coke vs. Pepsi?

This shit is more fractured and meaningless than Occupy Wall Street. Just another generic excuse for people to voice their favorite tangentially gaming-related gripe and rabble rabble rabble.

Face it, this issue is so muddied that no productive conversation can come out of it. None. It's been tainted, soiled, and ruined by everyone who wants to co-opt the conversation for their own agenda.

3429 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo