Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3477 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 6, 2014, 19:06 NKD

entr0py wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:25:
So did they come up with some canonical alignment and gender for Revan, or is it portrayed as an androgynous character of mysterious purposes so it's consistent with with whatever you did in KotOR?

Revan has been canonically male and the Exile canonically female for a few years now. Light side ending is canon as well.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 18:36 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:10:
Perhaps the gaming industry will have to figure out how to do more with less, just like everyone else.

Yeah, great idea. Let's dramatically lower the production quality and depth of games across the board by slashing budgets. Everything can be at a Kickstarter/Early Access level of quality. That really benefits us as gamers.

Kickstarter has already shown us what game developers can do with a more limited budget. They can make a decent game, usually pretty short on content and polish, and that's if they have a really tight focused design. Imagine games with a Kickstarter type budget AND the oversight of a penny pinching publisher. Hooo boy.

I'd rather pay $50 for a good game than $50 for five mediocre games. My time is valuable to me, and I already have more games than I have time to play them. What's cheaper games going to get me? Not much, since due to time constraints I end up buying most games on sale to begin with.

Games just aren't expensive. They are a ridiculously cheap hobby, particularly on the PC with Steam sales and the like.

I worry more about quality than I worry about price.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2014, 18:22 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:53:
I can't imagine a way to argue that anything from the 70s or 80s is better than something like Adventure Time. Or even Animaniacs, which was more overtly educational and still way more interesting and far less vapid than the cardboard garbage of the 70s and 80s.

70s and 80s cartoons were the era of "cheap bullshit meant to sell toys." Yeah, I loved those cartoons in the 80s, and I get nostalgic about them sometimes, but looking back with a critical eye they just don't hold up compared to what is available to kids today on cable, Netflix etc. They were little more than cynical attempts to sell merchandise.

There's way more educational value on average and they give kids a lot more credit in terms of their level of intelligence and maturity. It's no surprise that modern cartoons are gaining a much larger adult audience than older cartoons. They are now designed with parents in mind.

And it's not just a modern thing. Even cartoons in the 40s and 50s had more depth than the cartoons of the 70s and 80s. Of course that's the culture of those eras. The 70s and 80s were about flashy appearance and lacking substance, and that was reflected in the cartoons.

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 17:23 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:47:

Now, I get that games aren't life-and-death, nor are they a limited resource, but the underlying principles are the same.

With the exception of the obvious life or death nature of pharmaceuticals, I think it's even worse for games because we're talking about digital codes here. There's no need to deal with a shady middle-man. You can easily find out who is reputable and who isn't, and then your code provides you with the exact same product from the exact same source as the higher priced non-grey-market.

So if you don't make a meaningful effort to separate regions based on pricing, then you cannot afford to give any region a price break. You simply have to charge them the same, or pull out of the region and let the bootleg pirated copies run the market.

Either way it's silly for anyone in a wealthy country to bitch about it, because no matter how it plays out in the long run, there is so scenario in which they standardize pricing to the price offered in impoverished countries.

If anything, the loss of those markets due to the inability to price things lower would necessitate the wealthy markets RAISING prices to cover the difference.

16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 16:39 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:29:
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:25:
Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 14:48:
NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:54:
Flat pricing is not fair pricing, by definition.

Interesting - to me charging each consumer the same price for the same product is fair. To do otherwise is unfair.

No, they should be able to charge what they want where they want. Similarly, consumers should have the right to shop around for better prices where ever they please too. If I feel I can make more money in one place than another I'll charge what the market will bear. However, I won't begrudge the consumer going somewhere else or buying a cheaper product. Regional pricing and resales are only a problem with bullshit like this saying you can't buy other places and/or resell.

Why would anyone ever buy from their locale if they can just as easily buy from a Russian ecommerce storefront?
That's right. The only way this works is if the people in one region pay their regional price. If everyone can buy from the Russian market then they have to charge the Russian market the same price. This effectively kills the Russian market and they may as well not even sell games there. Of course this sounds good to selfish citizens of wealthy countries, but its bad for the publisher and bad for the gamers in less wealthy countries.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2014, 17:14.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 15:25 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 14:48:
NKD wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 13:54:

Interesting - to me charging each consumer the same price for the same product is fair. To do otherwise is unfair.

Unfair to whom?

If I'm buying a game for $50, and someone in India is buying a game for $15, there's a good chance I'm still spending less of my disposable income on games than he is.

So even with a large price disparity, I'm still the one getting the better deal. How am I being treated unfairly?

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 6, 2014, 13:54 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 11:41:
Perhaps if there was neutrality on pricing, with fair flat pricing across all regions there would be no problem here. Instead it's "charge as much as you can" for each region, and consumers should have the right to import to protect themselves equally.

News Comments > Door Kickers This Month
10. Re: Door Kickers This Month Oct 6, 2014, 13:41 NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 12:33:
There are already games on the market - this is a clone.

/the tough guy fat kid behind the keyboard talk is always funny. To bad you aren't aware how these things work in real life.

Jumping straight to the ad hominem? Sounds like you have some strong, factual arguments there.

No-knock warrants, militarization of our police force, and over-utilization of SWAT units are some of the biggest problems with US law enforcement today, aside from racism. Asset forfeiture being used as little more than highway robbery is also a growing problem.

But no, I suppose that's just "tough guy fat kid" talk, not legitimate criticism.

4. Re: Door Kickers This Month Oct 6, 2014, 10:19 NKD

Ludomancer wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 10:10:
Exactly this. I wonder if there will be a civil-forfeiture minigame?

If we can't prove you've done anything criminal, by god we'll just seize all your shit instead! Coming soon to a courtroom near you: United States v. High Value Steam Account

1. Re: Door Kickers This Month Oct 6, 2014, 09:41 NKD

Fuck yeah let's execute some no-knock warrants on the wrong homes and maybe flashbang a 6 month old in their crib.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
55. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 03:59 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 03:40:
I never encountered any captains that were both immune to vaulting and frontal stuns, but I guess it's theoretically possible. I think they should have added a strength that makes captains completely immune to stuns.

I had a few that were shield+spear dudes immune to vaulting and stuns in the front. It was still possible to get behind them, but pretty tricky.

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 6, 2014, 01:13 NKD

My go-to strategy for the harder captains was to drag them over to some fodder (if they didn't have some already with them) build up a combo chain, and use it on a Fire Arrow to a grog vat or a campfire or something. As far as I know they can't become immune to fire.

Might be able to get a Hatred of burning though, which would give them regen etc. In which case I don't know what you'd do.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2014, 15:40 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 14:11:
NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 11:54:
Fuck yeah guys, time for another edition of Morality Score!

This tower defense game scored an 85%. It lost some points because you blow up aliens, and there is some rough language!

Woe be to the immoral heathens who embark upon such a violent and debauched journey!

I never understand why Christ-Centered Gamer gets such scorn. He is providing a service to religious gamers (yes they do exist) who worry about things like violence, profanity, sexual content etc. He isn't preaching to anyone else about what is bad or good.

I just find the term "Morality Score" to be funny and almost dystopian. It's not really something we're used to seeing numerically.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 14:39 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:25:
NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:11:
Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:49:
Are any of you guys who are enjoying ME:SoM using KB&M? I don't like using my controller with third person games and the Batman series didn't 'feel' quite right with KB&M.

I'm using keyboard and mouse. Feels very responsive compared to Batman, at least to me.

Good. Any mouse smoothing, acceleration or other port symptoms?

Well, since it's not really an FPS or even remotely aim-sensitive, I couldn't really tell if there was any mouse smoothing or acceleration going on. I didn't much like the feel of aiming the bow, though. Not sure if it was mouse acceleration or what. But the way it works, you spend almost all of your time while aiming the bow in a really strong slow-mo effect so it didn't really affect my ability to chain headshots.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 13:19 NKD

ASeven wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:34:
Whoever was the cunt that made that car bomb threat, I hope he is found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. These threats help neither side.

And speaking of Leigh Alexander, have a compilation of saying from this SJW woman. Because if anyone can talk about ethics, it surely is she.

Leigh Alexander is an irredeemable piece of shit, there's no doubt about that.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 13:11 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:49:
Are any of you guys who are enjoying ME:SoM using KB&M? I don't like using my controller with third person games and the Batman series didn't 'feel' quite right with KB&M.

I'm using keyboard and mouse. Feels very responsive compared to Batman, at least to me.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
3. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 5, 2014, 13:08 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:23:
That's all that this interview really is - someone makes a small very niche game complaining that few people are interested. Which is what happens when something is small and niche.

Unless you know somebody, in which case a single article on a gaming news website can make all the difference in the world, even for a simple non-games like this guys visual novel, or Depression Quest.

That type of favor currying is commonplace in many industries, but that doesn't make it okay, or any less frustrating for someone who sees equivalent projects take off because of insider connections, while their project flounders.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2014, 11:54 NKD

Fuck yeah guys, time for another edition of Morality Score!

This tower defense game scored an 85%. It lost some points because you blow up aliens, and there is some rough language!

Woe be to the immoral heathens who embark upon such a violent and debauched journey!

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
1. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 5, 2014, 11:51 NKD

I definitely would not want to be an indie dev in this environment. One pissed off Twitter personality can sink you. One games "journalist" who doesn't like you can ensure your game stays effectively buried.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 11:24 NKD

Sigh  

3477 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo