Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3211 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
30. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 22, 2014, 13:14 NKD

ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:10:
NKD wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:07:
ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:02:
SUSPENDED! At last! Took Kickstarter bloody long enough.

What? The funny money came in over the weekend. At least give them a couple days to investigate bro... I think this is a plenty quick enough resolution.

True but there were a lot of other red flags raised that at least deserved an investigation from Kickstarter, which didn't happen.

I love Kickstarter but damn, they really have to start tightening their policies to include investigations on projects that raise a lot of red flags.

Ehh I guess, but I think the previous red flags were more about quality and worthiness rather than willful fraud. I feel like Kickstarter should let us decide which projects are worth backing, and stick to policing fraud and willful misuse of their platform. They have tens of thousands of projects. Some of them are going to be a lot more worthwhile than others.

Still, it's nice to see these fuckers get their shit taken down. I can't wait for them to throw a big ol' fit.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 22, 2014, 13:09 NKD

Aaaand SUSPENDED.

Take that, scumbags.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

27. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 22, 2014, 13:07 NKD

ASeven wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 13:02:
SUSPENDED! At last! Took Kickstarter bloody long enough.

What? The funny money came in over the weekend. At least give them a couple days to investigate bro... I think this is a plenty quick enough resolution.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 13:02 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 12:51:
The average age of the CNN viewer is 69. That's all you need to know.

Cable news in general isn't much better, either. It is marketed at old ignorant retirees. I don't think any of the cable news channels have an average viewer age of less than 60. Pointing out some ignorant, out of touch silliness on CNN or Fox News or MSNBC is like pointing out some 70 year old guy's backwards views. No one is surprised and no one cares.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Subscription Plans
11. Re: The Sims 4 Subscription Plans Jul 21, 2014, 19:51 NKD

Rossafur wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 14:53:
Wonder how many packs it will take for it to feel like an actually complete game this time around. Gotta love the model where each sequel brings you back to feeling completely stripped-down again... Will something as basic as pets even make it into the base game this time? Jobs that aren't just sending your sim to a building for 8 hours with nothing to see?

To be fair it would be pretty impossible to make a sequel that had even half the features and content that were in the previous titles. And it would only get harder each time. Thats an enormous back catalog to port.

11. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 12:54 NKD

walrus1 wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 12:31:
The fact that KS hasn't pulled this very obvious scam by now is pretty unforgivable. That more then anything makes me not want to back anything on KS.

This has only just started to come to peoples attention. Kickstarter can't and shouldn't just yank a project at the first sign of unrest because the developers are acting like asshats. Kickstarter certainly has access to more definitive information than we do and is probably investigating right now. That's my guess anyhow. They've pulled projects before.

Beamer wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 12:42:
I may be wrong, but didn't the weird money start flowing in over the weekend?

Yeah if you look at the Kicktraq data you can see that they received large sums over the last 2 days, but only a net gain of 2 backers. It's certainly suspicious enough to warrant some investigation.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 13:12.

7. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 12:19 NKD

SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:28:

Really? People are giving them money? The Potato Salad guy deserves their money more than these scam artists. At least he is honest.

Frankly I doubt this project has much in the way of legitimate backers to begin with.

If people really want to worry about Kickstarter they should worry about the otherwise legitimate seeming projects that fail to deliver, not the obvious shitshows that nobody backs anyway.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Subscription Plans
3. Re: The Sims 4 Subscription Plans Jul 21, 2014, 11:51 NKD

Interesting approach. Not sure how well it'll go over with the "casual" Sims crowd though. Even if it ends up being a similar price to the frequent expansions and smaller content packs, the term "subscription" implies more of a level of commitment people might not be into.  

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
37. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 21, 2014, 08:16 NKD

This thing has been red flag city from the very beginning. Anyone who backed this shit (has anyone actually backed it or is it all fake money?) needs to lose their $10 or whatever as a lesson in smart purchasing decisions.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
14. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2014, 21:02 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 20:29:

There are a few people here, Cutter chief among them, that think stupidity is fraud.

Which, of course, makes Cutter a fraud.

Maybe I should file a complaint with the FBI for wire fraud. Wire fraud wire fraud wire fraud. The more times I say it, the more turned on Cutter gets I'm sure. He seems to have a boner for saying wire fraud. Wire fraud. Wire fraud. Maybe if you say it three times in a row, Cutter appears, kind of like Derek Smart.

MisterBenn wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 20:19:
What happens with that remaining $100k? Can they bin a project, be immune from reimbursing backers and keep unspent funds?

That's the big unknown right now. What's the legal relationship between Yogscast and Winterkewl? We don't know enough facts to determine that. Money given to Yogscast may be just as gone as the money given to anyone else. If I pay you $50,000 to do something for me, and you pay that $50,000 to someone else for something and subsequently fail to deliver, I can't go after THEM to give me my 50 grand back. I can only go after you, and you're broke. And if you're an LLC, I can only go after the assets of your LLC, not your personal assets.

There's a bit of a caveat there though. Depending on how closely Yogscast and Winterkewl worked, and the prevalance of Yogscast brand on the product, it could be argued that Yogscast's involvement was sufficient that they are contractually obligated to the Kickstarter backers. That would be up to a court to decide.

So yeah, there's a remote possibility Yogscast could be on the hook for any monies people want to try and recover, but it's not a sure thing. It hinges on facts that we just don't have. It's entirely possible that there is no money that anyone is legally entitled to get back.

More likely, it's all just a pointless academic argument because no one will sue anyone because it would cost more money than they are likely to recover.

At the end of the day, you're not guaranteed anything from a Kickstarter. The developer is contractually obligated to deliver rewards and the final product as promised, but if they fail, there is unlikely to ever be any recoverable assets left so while you technically have legal recourse, in practical terms, you do not. Use Kickstarter with that in mind.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 20, 2014, 19:54 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 14:46:
Scam. He's lying. Who the hell just gives someone 35 grand without any sort of specific contract?

And Yogcast very much has a legal obligation. If I were a backer I'd be filing complaints with the FBI for interstate wire fraud and the FTC for bait and switch. This is very obviously a con.

I see it's Cutters Bad Legal Advice Hour again.

You have to be able to prove intent to defraud. If the money was all used in a legitimate but incompetent attempt to develop a game, you have no case for fraud, and because Winterkewl is an LLC there is no money to be reclaimed via lawsuit either. You can't go after the personal assets of anyone involved. If Winterkewl as an LLC is broke, it's game over for your hopes at getting your money back.

Yogscast may have some money, but we don't know the details of the relationship there. That's the only real unknown at this point. Depending on what Yogscast got paid or where that money went it might be recoverable.

I don't know why you think everything is an intentional scam or fraud. Kickstarter is full of games projects too ambitious for the novice developers behind them. Many of them are destined to fail to meet expectations, or fail entirely, despite the best intentions of the developers. That's far, FAR more common than intentional scamsters.

From what we've heard so far it sounds like this guy was just an idiot with no experience who got in over his head.

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
9. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 20:59 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 18:53:
I never had any ill feelings toward ccp, until they killed Vampire the Masquerade and White Wolf. It was a catastrophic failure and epic cluster fruck.

Now the only way we will ever get another innovative and creative VtM title is if ccp goes into bankruptcy or goes out of business.

bastards

If someone really wanted to make a Vampire game I suspect CCP would license it out the same way they licensed out the Pen & Paper shit to another company.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 10:29 NKD

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 09:37:
NKD wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 09:33:
Yeah, its a big deal. Just like the acquisition was a big deal to begin with. But it doesn't spell out doom or gloom.

Who said anything about doom and gloom? Can't it just fucking suck for people losing their job, especially those who are essentially getting sacked while management gets rewarded?

Of course losing your job sucks. But the mentality that for people to lose their job someone must have done something wrong is short sighted and naive. Why should a valued employee be denied a payday because someone else got fired? There are plenty of well paid management types getting sacked too. You don't need two of every high paid executive position.

I didn't throw a fit when I lost a job. These employees are adults and many of them have probably had to fire employees themselves at some point

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 09:33 NKD

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 08:59:
Lots of people trying to downplay this, 6000 Microsoft workers and 12000 Nokia employees being sacked is a big deal. Meanwhile the Nokia guy gets a 25mil bonus and Microsoft continues to post strong financials. Yep nothing wrong with this!

Yeah, its a big deal. Just like the acquisition was a big deal to begin with. But it doesn't spell out doom or gloom. Its a massive company getting their house in order. Its big, but that's to be expected with such a sizeable acquisition. It happens.

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Jul 18, 2014, 08:31 NKD

Why is Weird Al spoofing pop hits?? What's the world come to when Weird Al is spoofing... oh.... this just in, he's always done that.

Today's shallow pop music is no worse than yesterday's shallow pop music, and equally deserving of parody.

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 08:13 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 08:04:
I'm no fan of Microsoft, and their callous wording about people losing their jobs aside, but in this instance I have to say that if anyone Nokia is the bad guy if you are dead set on finding one. Nokia knowingly agreed to this merger knowing it would put thousands of people out of work. Shareholders get a payday, the little guy gets shafted.

Two thirds of them were Nokia employees...

That would then indicate 1/3, or about 6000 workers WERE Microsoft employees, wouldn't it? That doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for Microsoft, redundancy notwithstanding.

They picked up about 30,000 new employees in the acquisition IIRC, it wouldn't really be fair to the Nokia guys if they sacked exclusively from the Nokia pool. Probably a fair number of positions where they felt Nokia had the stronger employee too.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 2014, 08:19.

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 07:54 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 01:13:
It's like shouting at a mountain or something here. No matter how many times you point out that Microsoft isn't doing this due to their incompetency, people that haven't looked into it at all make that assumption and spew it all over the internet.

Shouting at a mountain is about right. Mass layoffs after major acquisition? CLEARLY INCOMPETENCE!!! And it's the fault of the products I don't personally like!

Like someone said earlier, it's fucking redundant positions getting sacked. It's not like they are just firing 18,000 people at random to save a few bucks. They are firing 18,000 people that otherwise would be collecting a check to sit there and do nothing.

Two thirds of them were Nokia employees. I.e. had fucking nothing to do with Windows 8, or Xbone, or anything else at MS.

If these fucks can't even bother to read the article they shouldn't be allowed to post.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 18, 2014, 07:46 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:53:
They very definitely do have an obligation here.

According to the actual lawyer who wrote the article, there is nothing definite about it. Since you got your law degree the same place Derek Smart got his PhD, I'm going to go with Mr. Strebeck's opinion on this one.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2014, 18:38 NKD

How dare a company fire people! You should have your job until you don't want it anymore or are deemed incompetent! These evil fucks and their changing staffing needs.  

News Comments > GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because "It Sells"
11. Re: GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because Jul 16, 2014, 22:32 NKD

Redmask wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 22:14:
NKD wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 22:02:
Stop. Buying. This. Shit. Game developers have no leverage on you. You aren't going to die from withdrawals if you go without DLC or preorder bonuses. Grow a fucking spine and stop blaming other people for your compulsive and/or impulsive purchasing decisions.

Who said he's the one buying it? Stop. Pretending. Everyone. Complaining. Is. Buying. It.

Some people do speak with their wallets, too bad that doesn't mean the market automatically adjusts to your preferences. It's better to try to get the word out complaining about it and trying to effect change rather than just saying 'o well'.

I wasn't actually addressing that poster in particular, but rather all the people who think they can somehow talk companies into not selling something that has historically been shown to sell really well.

That'll never work. They don't give a fuck what you post on Blue's News, or anywhere else for that matter unless it gets some kind of viral reddit/Twitter exposure.

These types of DLC/Pay 2 Win things will remain until people stop buying them. If you've got some way of convincing people not to buy this shit that I haven't considered, let me know.

But as far as I can tell the only thing we can do is not give money to developers whose business models we don't like. Not because that will stop them, it is what it is and it isn't changing. But because it feels better not being a hypocrite who only cries and complains until the next game he likes comes out.

3211 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo