Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 2865 (Senior)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 3, 2013, 06:57 NKD

nin wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:48:
Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 16:24:
LurkerLito wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 12:43:
It can't send an image, just a numerical representation of your facial features. That is definitely identifiable info. If they are measuring the distance between the eyes, the eye shape, the nose and it's shape, the ratio between the distances of the eyes, nose, mouth, hairline. You can come up with a potential pool who that person is simply by using the IP address from the XBone, that facial info, and calculate similar info within certain ranges from freely available pictures from facebook, google, instagram, etc... that came from the same general area of the IP and do a comparison. That will get you down to a small number of suspected people. If any agency would want a nearly perfect confirmation, they'd just have to do a drive by with a kinect camera on that small pool of suspects to see if they'd get the same info. They'd probably be able to get it down to the actual person by then depending on how accurate the Kinect actually is.

Why would the feds do that when they'll just go in through the backdoor that MS has so kindly provided and turn the camera on - without signifying that it's on - and watch away real time?

How much do you want to bet within the next few years we'll see a news story of the cops or feds doing precisely this? And it'll come out they've been doing it on a massive scale. Then all the PS4 people can sit back and laugh their asses off.

"Achievement unlocked citizen! We shall notify your family and friends."

"We'll also update your records with Politburo at no extra cost!"

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief Trailer
21. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 2, 2013, 23:23 NKD

Jerykk wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 19:20:
How can people condemn a game they know so little about and have never even played?

http://i.imgur.com/KXbn6qg.jpg

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 2, 2013, 14:55 NKD

Rhett wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 14:14:
There's a minecraft convention? Da fuh?

Why is that surprising? That Minecraft is incredibly popular isn't exactly a well guarded secret.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
2. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 12:41 NKD

I can't wait for this.  

News Comments > Thief Trailer
17. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 2, 2013, 06:15 NKD

Denthor wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 01:55:
How could they have done so well in dx:hr and so wrong, so very wrong, with this - it doesn't really make much sense. Unless its suits. Wait. Who am i kidding, definitely suits designing the game. It's the only way it makes sense.

Different lead designers etc, different types of game. Makes a lot of sense.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Nov 1, 2013, 20:06 NKD

I was disappointed to read he wasn't blown up with dynamite.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released
23. Re: Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released Nov 1, 2013, 20:03 NKD

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 16:56:
Well for one there is the whole issue of Direct X, which only runs on MS stuff, and OpenGL which runs on everything else including MS stuff.

Get everyone developing on OpenGL and this all becomes a non-issue. That's the whole point behind putting resources into Linux. It makes better sense to have everyone working with an open standard not controlled by one company.

Sure, but Microsoft doesn't force you to use DirectX. In fact, developers could be using OpenGL right now. DirectX is only the game API of choice for the same reason Windows is the game platform of choice: Because they happened to pull their heads out of their asses a little more quickly than the Linux community and the OpenGL ARB. It's momentum really.

The only advantage OpenGL has over DirectX right now that is meaningful is the easier cross-platform development. But since the other platforms do not have a meaningful number of gamers, there's no reason for thousands of DirectX developers to go learn OpenGL.

In short, it's the same catch-22 Linux has always been caught in. You can't grab market share by playing catch up and claiming "We're almost as good as what you've already been using for 20 years!" You need something that sets you clearly AHEAD of the competition.

People who think some glorious Linux gaming revolution is coming just because Gaben wills it to be are gaslighting themselves. Linux will have increased gaming support, but the kind of 2-5 year reversal in fortune people are picturing is a dream.

21. Re: Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released Nov 1, 2013, 14:45 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 12:48:
NKD wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 08:50:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 23:37:
Harlequin wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:42:
As for linux.. meh. It's never going to overtake windows as a gaming platform (or typical desktop). Ever. So while good for the non-conformists its pretty moot in the big picture.

As for Android..meh. It's never going to overtake iOS a gaming platform (or typical mobile). Ever. So while good for the non-conformists its pretty moot in the big picture.

Just sayin'

Really shitty comparison because unlike iOS which was hamstrung by being on basically one device, and Apple acting as a gatekeeper, Windows has no barriers for developers. You can freely develop whatever you want and distribute it however you want.

There aren't many reasons NOT to develop for Windows.

Gabe thinks there is.

Like what? Gaben also thinks Microsoft is going to lock down Windows and make you use their app store for everything.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2013, 09:56 NKD

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 09:40:

Damned shame. I am really tempted to go grab one of this years models but my plasma isn't old enough yet for me to justify it. I hope it lasts until we see decent OLED sets that are past initial teething problems.

I was really bummed when techs like SED and FED did not work out, because OLED has fundamental longevity issues and I only buy a new TV once in a blue moon.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 1, 2013, 09:26 NKD

Going to be hard to find a good plasma now. I just bought a new Sony LCD TV because I wanted something with really low input lag for gaming and it was tested at sub-20ms, but plasma still has the best picture quality for money when it comes to TV and movies.

With Pioneer gone, Panasonic was making the best. With Panasonic gone, eh. I don't think there will really be any truly outstanding plasmas available.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer
2. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Trailer Nov 1, 2013, 09:05 NKD

Call of Doge  

19. Re: Shadowrun Returns for Linux Released Nov 1, 2013, 08:50 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 23:37:
Harlequin wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 16:42:
As for linux.. meh. It's never going to overtake windows as a gaming platform (or typical desktop). Ever. So while good for the non-conformists its pretty moot in the big picture.

As for Android..meh. It's never going to overtake iOS a gaming platform (or typical mobile). Ever. So while good for the non-conformists its pretty moot in the big picture.

Just sayin'

Really shitty comparison because unlike iOS which was hamstrung by being on basically one device, and Apple acting as a gatekeeper, Windows has no barriers for developers. You can freely develop whatever you want and distribute it however you want.

There aren't many reasons NOT to develop for Windows.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 1, 2013, 08:45 NKD

Verno wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 08:27:
$350 for the 32GB, no contract, LTE, better camera and no more glass back. Google/LG really knocked it out of the park this time.

Seriously. My Sprint contract is about up so getting a new phone at a great price WITHOUT giving up my month-to-month? Hell yeah.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 1, 2013, 01:26 NKD

Ordered a Nexus 5, but won't be showing up for a few weeks supposedly.  

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor
11. Re: Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor Oct 31, 2013, 09:16 NKD

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 08:32:
NKD wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 21:13:
Yeah Thief is a "wait for reviews" title for me. Development process was a mess and that often leads to inconsistent and schizophrenic feeling games.

Deus Ex was rumoured to have a troubled development too though and that turned out pretty awesome. Not saying Thief will be good but hopefully they can pull a rabbit at the last minute.

I hope you're right. It'd be so easy for Eidos to just concentrate on new IP and free themselves from having to partially pander to us old school fans. Even if Thief isn't great, I appreciate that they are prioritizing OUR IPs over new IPs.

6. Re: Into the Black Oct 31, 2013, 04:47 NKD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 03:06:

A loss is a loss. At the point that it is on it's side, it is a total loss, anything after that doesn't matter. The moron left it in park when he crawled out of it - it is the driver's fault.

If you're using a legit tow service, their insurance kicks in from the moment they lay hands on it to the time it's sitting in their lot. You most likely haven't opened your own claim yet, so your insurance isn't even involved yet. It's not going to cover run of the mill tow-related damages, those are unavoidable, but the car running away and down a ravine would almost certainly be covered under the tow company's insurance.

I was an office manager at a local tow company for a year and our insurance paid for several towing related damages while I was there.

News Comments > Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor
5. Re: Eidos Montreal Game Cancellation Rumor Oct 30, 2013, 21:13 NKD

Yeah Thief is a "wait for reviews" title for me. Development process was a mess and that often leads to inconsistent and schizophrenic feeling games.  

3. Re: Into the Black Oct 30, 2013, 20:14 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:50:
Hint: If your car is already flipped on the side, YOU wrecked it.

Honestly if my car was already beat to hell like that one was, I'd probably be laughing my ass off if the tow truck driver dropped it again.

Especially since it would then become the tow company's insurance's problem, and not my own

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2013, 20:11 NKD

Yeah buddy I'm sure your F2P online-required C&C game was just fantastic and EA cancelled it and shuttered your studio just to be mean.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2013, 20:01 NKD

Redmask wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 19:57:
I think they probably thought no one cared since most TVs do it these days.

Yeah. The suck part is that my TV's DLNA support kind of chokes on most MKVs in my collection. If it finds a part with a high bit rate, boom. Switched to using my PS3 and the problems vanished.

2865 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo