Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
15. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 24, 2014, 04:42 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 02:55:

1. EA won "Worst Company in the World" under Ricci's leadership. TWICE. He set the culture there of treating customers like shit in order to maximize profits. Let's see how that works out for Unity. Game players will put up with shit when they've only got to pay $50. When dev houses are paying $10000s for an engine, they'll look elsewhere if you try and screw them. Lots of companies are now doing the "free" or low-cost game engine thing, like Unreal. There's no room to fuck with devs, who also happen to be among the more intelligent consumers. You say it's apples and oranges, but so far all I've ever seen Ricci cook was apple pie. Can't make that with oranges.

2. I'm sure he had lots of discussions about game engines, their capabilities, their cost, etc. etc. while at EA. His experience there is much more relevant than at Sara Lee.

See this is exactly the kind of shallow reasoning that I'm referring to when I say gamers don't know fuck all about what a CEO actually does. First off, the CEO of EA probably does not make decisions about game engines. It would be incredibly unusual for a CEO of a company that size getting involved in that kind of minutiae. Even when they look to buy out a company to get their tech, that's an idea that generally comes from other C-level execs and they rely heavily on the technical knowledge of those below them to come to the decision.

But more to the point, what works for EA won't necessarily work for Unity. They are very different companies with very different business models. They are not a consumer-facing company for the most part. The only thing consumers know about Unity is what other developers do with it. You seem to be under the impression that John Riccitiello is literally some kind of retarded automaton who doesn't have the ability, despite his extensive business education, to understand that the best approaches for two different companies are as different as the companies themselves.

We're talking about a guy who has been CEO of a company that makes jock straps, a company that makes cakes, and a company that makes games. I'm pretty sure he's got a fairly diverse perspective.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2014, 04:48.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
62. Re: etc., etc. Oct 24, 2014, 02:55 NKD

beremot wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 01:08:
This guy can write something as bat shit fucking CRAZY as this, and only ONE person here is willing to straight up call him out on it? Really?

No offense guy, but Mad Monkey has been throwing that feces around for YEARS on here. This is nothing new. That's why we don't tend to call him out on it. He's a full-on right wing nutjob and can link literally everything wrong in the world with some vast conspiracy to take away his guns and force him to have mandatory gay atheist abortions.

Arguing with tinfoil hatters is a losing proposition. You have to use reality, they don't.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 23, 2014, 22:51 NKD

Map seems inaccurate. Patriots area is bigger than downtown Boston? Bullshit.  

30. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 22:38 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 22:15:

Look, Max, if your movement is no longer the movement you joined, you need to wake up and realize it's time to leave and/or make a new movement.

And what prevents those same few assholes from ruining the next one, and the next one, and the next one? What you're saying here is that you can never have a movement to do anything, because every movement has extreme stupid outliers.

Contrary to popular belief around here, it's not the responsibility of a movement to get rid of those outliers. There's nothing an open movement can do about it. Anyone can claim to be a member of anything. It's the responsibility of everyone else to realize this, and not stoop to the intellectually dishonest attitude of pretending they represent the whole. Some feminists believe all penis in vagina sex is inherently rape and victimizes and marginalizes women by its very nature. Some Muslims believe it's okay to explode the fuck out of you. Some students believe it's okay to cheat on their tests. Some husbands believe it's okay to cheat on their wives.

No matter how you slice the population up. Groups you were born into, groups you chose to join. Casual groups, serious groups. Religious groups, political groups. They all have loudmouth extremists, trolls, and general assholes. It's up to us to not let them sidetrack the conversation. Sadly it's too late for that for this GamerGate thing. There will always be assholes, they cannot be prevented. What we CAN prevent is using those assholes as cheap ammunition to support our point of view.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 22:45.

News Comments > NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+
7. Re: NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+ Oct 23, 2014, 21:21 NKD

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 20:45:
I am going to bet that EQ Next learns a HUGE lesson here, and doesnt make their next title nearly as exclusive to people.

EQ Next has been marketed as a fairly accessible player-driven sandbox title from it's announcement. As far as we know, it has basically zero focus on the traditional style of content. It's already the polar opposite of Wildstar.

Wildstar could have carved out a niche for itself as a raiding game, but they decided to gate their raids behind a lot of stupidity. There was an enormous brick wall at the end. A huge difficulty spike going from Adventures to Dungeons. Not to mention the timesink attunement process that was far more frustrating than anything WoW ever had.

People crave that difficult content, but they don't have 16 hours a day to play. Get rid of the grinds, keep the difficulty tuning. But it's too late for Wildstar at this point.

11. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 21:08 NKD

Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 20:49:
NKD wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 18:46:
John probably saved EA as COO, and then later on as CEO he was really good for the company.

He was also instrumental in really starting the "Let's bleed gamers for EVERY.FUCKING.DIME.THEY.OWN" mentality that now practically ruins the industry, so yeah, it'll be great to see that pop up in Unity too.

Edit : Several people already made that comment before me. Ninja'd.

Certainly there's reasons for gamers to dislike the guys vision for EA's business model. Not that gamers ever seem to have the balls to stop buying EA games (see my sig) but I digress... but there's no real grounds to say he's a bad choice for a CEO.

Secondly, as I'm sure everyone here is aware, the business models for gaming software and gaming engines are very different. In fact there isn't really a standard model for engines at all. Plus you aren't selling to braindead consumers. You can't dazzle developers with a bullshit trailer or some cinematics. It's apples and oranges. His work as CEO of Unity will be about as relevant to his work at EA as his work at Sara Lee was.

Frankly EA's business model has more in common with Sara Lee than with Unity: selling empty calories to people who don't have the willpower to put down the cupcakes.

10. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 20:49 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 20:15:
I'd think that Felicia, 34 years old, would have realized this? Maybe it really happened this way. Maybe she's fearful of men she wouldn't have been a couple of months ago. It just seems unlikely for a woman that has been so involved in gaming for so long with so many fantastic experiences to suddenly do a 180.

It does seem a shame that a person with her long experience with gaming and geek culture would fall into the trap of judging an entire group by the acts of a few. You'd think she'd be above that kind of generalizing.

Never figured her for a "cross the street to avoid the urban looking black man" type. It's exactly the same kind of irrational, repugnant fear.

3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 19:06 NKD

DangerDog wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 19:01:
I'd love full disclosure on how much he's making as their new CEO.

I'd be curious to know too. It has to be a significant pay cut. Maybe he just really likes the idea of the company or something? I don't know. I can't see Unity having the cash to pay him what another company would.

1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 23, 2014, 19:03 NKD

So I'm thinking Star Citizen will be the BEST/WORST (circle one) game of all time. Chris Roberts is a GREAT DEVELOPER/SCAM ARTIST (circle one) and will surely find SUCCESS/GREAT SHAME (circle one) by the time this project completes.

Also is anyone psyched for the Constantine premiere?

News Comments > NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+
3. Re: NCSOFT Layoffs; Carbine Reportedly Loses 60+ Oct 23, 2014, 18:50 NKD

They let go of some key very public-facing guys, like their Lead Client Developer, a couple Senior Art Director type guys, and I think one of their main Dungeon/Raid design guys.

It's not a good sign at all. It's not just a routine downscaling of customer service and extra hands.

1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 18:46 NKD

Honestly the negative attitudes about John Riccitiello largely come from gamers who know basically zero about business or what a CEO even does. Some game ends up sucking or having questionable design decisions, and somehow that's the CEOs fault. That might be true at some tiny ass developer, but at a large company the CEO is largely concerned with the big picture, not what map size is appropriate for fucking SimCity.

John probably saved EA as COO, and then later on as CEO he was really good for the company. He had a bad year at the end, but still. Unless the dude is bringing the entirety of EA management and development with him, the shortcomings of some EA titles are irrelevant to what he might do at Unity.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Specs; Trailer
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Specs; Trailer Oct 23, 2014, 18:35 NKD

Minimum and recommended are super close together. Strange.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 16:01 NKD

garrywong wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 13:57:
Is 14 years excessive? Not much harm was done in that case, but what if it had caused the helicopter to crash? The pilot, the sick kid, and any other passengers would have likely died. When you think about it that way, 14 years for an action that could have caused the death of people isn't any harsher than you'd get for an attempted murder, is it? Even more lenient, actually.

Attempted murder requires intent to kill. The level of education in the public regarding these lasers is woefully lacking. People are legitimately ignorant of the danger they pose because it requires a bit of technical knowledge regarding the device itself. All most people know about lasers is don't point them directly into an eyeball.

Very few people know that the lasers you can buy today, even very cheap models, can be powerful enough to cause significant distraction to an aircraft. Even in your post you seem to claim that only expensive specialty lasers pose a threat (sorry if I'm misinterpreting), and you are presumably more informed than the general public.

With that in mind, 14 years is rather nuts. Let's use drunk driving as an example. Even after decades of education and increasing penalties, people still don't get 14 years for a DUI. Even in DUIs where someone actually gets killed, people usually get under 15 years. Everyone knows driving drunk hugely increases the risk of an accident or fatality. People can be expected to know better. Drunk driving = bad is something beaten into our skulls from a young age. (Yet people still do it...)

I feel like you have to let people know what they are doing is dangerous before you can justify harshly punishing them for doing it. Jail time as a deterrent is useful, but only if its accompanied by actual education. Slapping someone in jail doesn't deter anyone if no one else knows it's illegal. Some guy going to jail is a tiny blip on the media radar. A couple articles, and then it's forgotten 2 days later. You need a reasonable sized media campaign to raise awareness over a prolonged period of time.

This laser crap is a result of public ignorance. It's simply a matter of people not knowing what they are doing is dangerous. They need to be told. If they don't listen, then throw 'em in jail.

Creston wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 15:38:

It's typical Ars comparing apples to oranges again too. The guy who got 14 years had a warrant out for his arrest, and had prior convictions. He didn't just get 14 years for shining a laser into a medical helicopter.

The judge took his criminal history into account (none of which involved lasers) but all 14 years of his sentence was from the laser incident. There were no other charges in the case. To clarify, I think it's fair that someone with a criminal history gets a stiffer sentence, but the difference between the 2 years his girlfriend got and the 14 he got for the same crime is a bit too much.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 16:19.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 23, 2014, 12:08 NKD

The US sentenced some guy to 14 years, which I think is excessive, but this guys sentence is effectively FOUR MONTHS OF BEING GROUNDED. He has a curfew and has to take drug and alcohol counseling. Way too lenient IMHO.

Given the lack of public education on how dangerous this shit really is, it's very easy to believe that these people thought they were just annoying some people, rather than putting their lives at risk. How bright that laser is a few hundred or thousand feet up is not common sense. We actually have to educate people about this issue. Thankfully, no one's been killed or injured because of these antics. But that also makes it harder to convince people it's dangerous. We don't have a death statistic or a crashed airliner to use as an example.

These aren't the little red laser pointers we use to antagonize our cats. They are way more blinding at a far greater distance, and most of the people selling these things do jack shit to educate their customers on what they are actually getting.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
6. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 11:48 NKD

Not gonna lie, the gameplay footage looks a lot more fun than typical Colladoody snail duels.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2014, 11:13 NKD

Necrophob wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 10:25:
Bale should do a good Jobs. Both are/were egotistical megalomaniacs.

Plus Bale is a super dedicated actor. Guy doesn't fuck around when it comes to prepping for a role.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 23, 2014, 10:52 NKD

I've been receiving death threats from dickless shits on the Internet since at least 1999. I even got SWAT'd once (before it was called that, and before my town actually HAD a SWAT team) It was fairly peaceful before then. Where's the article about me?

In all seriousness though, I'm far more disturbed by the uptick in SWATing incidents than these death threats, which are actually status quo for the Internet. Having a bunch of dudes with itchy trigger fingers and automatic weapons busting into your house is no joke. You can't just ignore that shit. It puts your life in real and immediate danger, given the tendency of SWAT teams these days to shoot first and ask questions later. I'm surprised no one's gotten killed by these SWAT pranks already.

But since it's largely a male-on-male issue, it doesn't get nearly as much press or sympathy as these toothless threats.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2014, 10:59.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
11. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 23, 2014, 01:14 NKD

PHJF wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:25:

The real question is, why would anyone with the money to be able to run games at 4K not be using a 4K monitor?

I use a 3x1440p surround setup instead of a 4k monitor. That's more pixels than a 4k display, and a hell of a lot more workspace. While they are high pixel density, they aren't nearly the density of a smaller 4k display so I don't run into the kind of scaling issues that make fonts unreadable except once in a blue moon.

While the surround setup is primarily for the increased workspace rather than games, I do pretty frequently run games in surround.

But for games that don't benefit from surround or just don't run well enough at that resolution, I like to play them on a single 1440 screen. Supersampling works on the entire screen, unlike multisampling, and doesn't make everything blurry like FXAA. Yes, it's computationally expensive but I have the horsepower for it.

Support for arbitrary render resolutions is good stuff. I haven't used Nvidia's implementation yet, but I've used other tools to do the same thing and it can be incredibly useful for games that just don't play nice with "smart" anti-aliasing methods, or shitty ports. Final Fantasy 13 comes to mind. I used a tool to render that mofo at 4k downsampled to 1440p and it was gorgeous.

It's like a brute force AA for people who have the GPU power to spare.

News Comments > ArcheAge "Illicit Gains" Revoked
13. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 23:48 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 23:11:
NKD wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 21:23:
Yeah, WoW has botters. But the level of trust ArcheAge places in the client software is insane.

You mean to tell me ArcheAge is about as legit as open Battle.net was in Diablo 2?

Alright, I concede my comparison.

Well to be fair I haven't heard of people arbitrarily giving themselves awesome gear or loot right into their inventory. So there's that at least.

News Comments > ArcheAge "Illicit Gains" Revoked
8. Re: ArcheAge Oct 22, 2014, 21:23 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 22, 2014, 21:05:
Warcraft still has rampant duping and botting methods and it's almost ten years old.

Comparing ArcheAge, or any other recent MMO, to WoW is kind of silly. WoW doesn't have anywhere near the level of exploits and problems that ArcheAge has. In fact, I can't remember a time it ever did. Even at launch the types of cheaters you saw were run of the mill speed/teleport hacks. Yeah, WoW has botters. But the level of trust ArcheAge places in the client software is insane.

I've seen people summoning weird Korean-named NPCs out of thin air in the middle of the capital city place. People using their boats as spinning griefing death pinwheels. People erasing debuffs from themselves, even that bot detection debuff.

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo