Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3936 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
75. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:32 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:

4. We'll soon see mods showing up on torrent sites.

And how soon after until someone starts marketing mod DRM to mod developers? And will pirating those mods lead previously legitimate buyers into just saying "Fuck it" and pirating the base game while they are at it?

If you're gonna pirate the mods, then there's not much reason to not go all the way.

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:16 NKD

Here are my major concerns should this actually take off:

1) The developers and Valve get paid but have no responsibility of support. The mod could stop working at any time and you'd be fucked.

2) The gap in game enjoyment between poor gamers and wealthy gamers gets significantly larger than it is today. Only wealthy gamers will be able to afford the tens or hundreds of dollars to get the worthwhile modded content for each game.

3) Why should a developer put effort into quality, officially supported DLC, whether it be free or paid, or expansions when they are getting a 45% cut of all that sweet mod money without actually doing anything or using any resources?

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.

63. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:37 NKD

chickenboo wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:30:
Another thing that worries me is if Steam will attempt to shut down mod websites.

It wouldn't be Valve doing it, but there will be a lot more incentive for developers to go after and shut down sites distributing mods for free if there is a way for them to get paid instead.

47. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 17:37 NKD

Ugh.  

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
21. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 08:36 NKD

InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:58:
The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I've been saying for a long time that gamers are the absolute worst customer base in the world in terms of consumer smarts, and the best for any company to have. Yes, gamers will rage and fly off the handle over just about anything, but when it comes to their purchasing decisions they are incredibly forgiving.

For most gamers, all it takes is a few shiny trailers. Even the most discerning gamers can be swayed by token efforts to regain their trust.

Look at GTA5. The performance is good, and it's pretty. This is slightly improved from GTA4 which had abysmal performance. But other than that, it's the same old story. It's a buggy mess, particularly the multiplayer. The flow of the interface is shit, the responsiveness of shooting is sluggish, the same crap we've seen from every PC GTA since Vice City. But some people, even here on Blue's, are sucking Rockstar's proverbial dick because they made one fewer mistake this time out.

Admittedly I got suckered into this one myself, and I'm a big enough man to admit I didn't use my best judgement. I saw that the performance of the game was good and bought in to play multiplayer with friends. Reviews glossed over the serious bugs, abysmal and frequent loading times, and nonsensical multiplayer workflow. To say nothing of the often unresponsive keyboard and mouse controls. If I had waited a week, all that would have been clear. Instead I let a token effort to improve upon their previous outing alter my decision.

So why did that happen? It's not like Rockstar or any other game company has leverage on me. I can easily do without their product. I have all the power in this customer relationship. I can refuse to purchase their product for any reason I want with minimal impact to myself. For me, after some introspection, I think it's mostly peer pressure. Gamers exert a lot of pressure on each other to keep up to speed on games. Imagine trying to discuss anything here at Blue's if you were only buying a select few games, and only 2 years post release during a Steam sale. You'd be so behind the times you'd have a hard time finding a relevant discussion. If you play a lot of multiplayer games, this effect is magnified since you need to get into these games while their multiplayer community is still thriving, and with your friends begging you to play with them.

I think the simplest way to put it is that purchasing games is an access pass to a community. The fewer games you purchase, the less engaged you are with gaming as a hobby, but particularly with gaming as a community. People feel a need to stay engaged, so they let peer pressure and hype sweep them along.

I can't count the number of times I've seen someone say they weren't getting a game, or were waiting for sale, but then later seen them crumble when they see their friends are buying the game. Even when they know their friends don't necessarily buy the best games, they still do it because everyone else is doing it.

12. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:52 NKD

Kosumo wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:46:
Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:10:
This is inexcusable for a company that makes the kind of money they do. Countdown to class action suit in 3...2...1...

You say class action all the time and it never EVER happens, It's like you are the poor step-brother of James McGill, but less cool, less James McGill, way less.

It's like you are "Better Not Call Cutter" Winkrazz

Cutter loves "class action lawsuit" and "wire fraud". Those are his favorite terms in the whoooole wide world. In his world, any time a company does something that you don't like, it's fraud and you should sue.

I'd ask Jack Thompson for legal advice before I'd ask Cuttard.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
9. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 22, 2015, 21:50 NKD

Not 40k, not interested.  

9. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:19 NKD

They called back and got one representative to admit customer service reps have been instructed to hang up after registering a ticket and giving that message.

Don't worry, I'm sure our local Rockstar fanboys will just say this was a miscommunication with the outsourced customer service and not in any way the fault of glorious leader Rockstar.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 16:41 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 15:43:

But you also have NO idea what cops have to deal with on and off duty.

You act as if it's some closely guarded secret, and as if there aren't hundreds of LEO forums you can visit to get an idea of what cops really deal with and what they are really thinking, right from the horses mouth. I've visited these forums and I'm very well acquainted with what cops deal with, and more importantly, the disdain with which they view the general public.

All I ask is that you please consider the other side of the coin.

I HAVE considered what their jobs are like, and it doesn't come anywhere close to balancing the scales. Even accounting for that, we still need major changes in how law enforcement operates in the US.

The first big issue is accountability. Police are too tight-knit and are notoriously terrible about keeping their own house in order. They don't rat each other out because it's career suicide. Sure, good cops will anonymously scold the bad cops online, but they sure as fuck aren't saying anything on the job about cops they actually work with!

The 'Blue Wall of Silence' makes it incredibly difficult to prosecute cops for crimes that aren't clearly caught on tape, and prosecutors don't like difficult cases. This is why so many cops get away without being charged, or get incredibly lenient deals.

It's very hard for me to give a lot of consideration to the good cops when those "good" cops will look the other way just to keep their job, and what's more, deny that there are any problems with law enforcement at all. I expect that kind of self-serving attitude from the average joe, but I expect better of our law enforcement.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 15:03 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 13:17:
NKD wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:36:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:16:

Are you a Police Officer? Then I kindly ask all of you to SHUT THE FUCK UP. Unless you have the badge you have NOTHING to offer the conversation either way. So quit trying to be a armchair officer until you've lived the life.

The fact that you think police are immune to criticism from anyone who isn't a cop is truly frightening. The police are there to serve and protect US, not the other way around. They are accountable to us, not to each other. The sooner they learn this, the better.

I don't know how many more stories about unarmed or restrained people getting gunned down I can take. I'm fucking sick of it, and by extension, fucking sick of any piece of garbage who makes excuses for it.

First of all dipshit, if you read my posts I have NEVER said police are immune to criticism, EVER. That is a FACT. And if you need to go google what a fact is, I suggest you do so. How fucking stupid are you to sit there behind your computer and tell me what I think about anything? And then call it a fact. Your ignorance is shocking.

You literally said that if people aren't cops they should shut up. If that's not what you meant to say, then you shouldn't have said it.

News Comments > WWE 2K15 Coming to PC
6. Re: WWE 2K15 Coming to PC Apr 22, 2015, 14:58 NKD

Xero wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 07:56:
Jonjonz wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 07:54:
Note to self: WWE means something to do with the world of professional scripted buffoonery, delete it from my remote, and skip it if encountered elsewhere.

Oh dude, the show is ludicrous at this point. I quit watching nearly 15 years ago when I was nearly 15years old. Recently stumbling upon it on tv, I can only take maybe 3 minutes of it before I'm like, whaaaaaaaaat?! And I change channel. It's bad.

On the flipside, a game is a game, and if it's fun, I'll take it regardless of the material it's sourced from.

Don't even reply to that guy. Check his post history.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 00:36 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:16:

Are you a Police Officer? Then I kindly ask all of you to SHUT THE FUCK UP. Unless you have the badge you have NOTHING to offer the conversation either way. So quit trying to be a armchair officer until you've lived the life.

The fact that you think police are immune to criticism from anyone who isn't a cop is truly frightening. The police are there to serve and protect US, not the other way around. They are accountable to us, not to each other. The sooner they learn this, the better.

I don't know how many more stories about unarmed or restrained people getting gunned down I can take. I'm fucking sick of it, and by extension, fucking sick of any piece of garbage who makes excuses for it.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2015, 00:43.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patched
3. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patched Apr 21, 2015, 20:32 NKD

None of my issues in here  

News Comments > WWE 2K15 Coming to PC
1. Re: WWE 2K15 Coming to PC Apr 21, 2015, 20:31 NKD

BAH GAWD THAT GAME IS BROKEN IN HALF. STOP THE DAMN MATCH.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2015, 17:33 NKD

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 14:42:

Oh shut up both of you.

How about YOU shut up porkchop? We've all heard enough from the cop apologist crowd about how it's so awful to be a police officer and we should let them get away with anything and everything because of it.

There's no cop in the US who isn't either complicit or complacent with regards to the systemic issues with law enforcement and people are getting wise to how the police view the public they are supposed to be protecting: As enemies.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
50. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 21, 2015, 07:02 NKD

Quinn wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 04:40:

If someone can shine some light on this, it'd be highly appreciated.

I'm not sure how you replay them prior to completing all of them. Once I completed all of them, my heist board changed to offer me a selection of heists to replay.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 21:15 NKD

Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 20:50:
That's not feminism NKD, that's a lunatic fringe. Do you really mean to say that feminists are racist?

The label 'feminism' is rather toxic thanks to idiots like the Comic Expo people (although I would not be at all surprised if there was more to the story and unless the expo lasted 47 seconds that clip doesn't clear anyone), but I am a feminist and I can assure you, I don't get patted on the back. If anything, "social justice" is more likely to be casually dismissed in someone's signature...!

Yeah it IS the lunatic fringe. Because that's apparently the only group allowed a voice. Anyone who tries to be moderate or to engage in reasoned debate is shut down and cast out of the in-group. The biggest social media personalities and the biggest scholars in feminism ALL adhere to the "listen and believe" philosophy that rejects debate and characterizes any criticism as harassment. If your criticism is friendly and attempts to engage in a mature manner, then you're just called a sea lion or whatever.

Like it or not the only brand of feminism that has any public profile is the social media/Patreon in-crowd. You can claim it's not true feminism, but it's the only feminism people are exposed to.

The whole "No True Scotsman" fallacy is particularly applicable there.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
45. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 20:25 NKD

Pretty game, for sure, but the shortcomings with the multiplayer are proving to be too much for my group of friends. I feel the reviews glossed over the frustrations that people would face dealing with session timeouts, frequent and long load times, and the abysmal workflow for managing multiplayer games in favor of jerking off the graphics and performance.

While I was pleasantly surprised by how well the game ran, in my group we're all kind of regretting our purchases and already looking to move on to a different game.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 20, 2015, 20:04 NKD

"That's why I am introducing legislation that will increase the jail time for ‘swatting’ perpetrators, force them to pay restitution for the cost of investigating fake calls, and close the existing loophole on internet phone calls to make disguising your caller ID to law enforcement a crime,

Increasing jail time for perpetrators? You have to actually find them first, genius. People almost never get caught for swatting. Paying restitution? You're not exactly dealing with wealthy perpetrators here. A lot of it is done by unemployed teens with no assets. The whole issue here is that these people are exceedingly difficult to locate. It's difficult in terms of technology, and not likely to become a priority for law enforcement.

Increasing penalties against criminals who don't get caught is symbolic at best, a complete waste of time at worst.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you're serious about protecting people from swatting, you have to address the underlying issues with how police utilize their SWAT teams. The priority here is to keep victims of swatting safe. Chasing phantoms on the Internet isn't likely to do that.

"But NKD, the police have no choice, they have to take every call seriously!"

Bullshit. I guarantee you there's never been a situation that legitimately required SWAT intervention that came in as a single anonymized Internet call. Some asshole shows up at the shopping center with a gun? Prepare for a zillion very panicked very NON-ANONYMOUS cell phone calls. Some angry guy waving a gun around in his neighborhood? More panicked phone calls. School shooting? You get the picture. A single anonymized Internet call claiming SWAT intervention is needed is a red flag for fake. There is no factual basis for taking that call seriously. Taking those calls seriously introduces more danger to the public than ignoring the calls.

Sure, you can craft a theoretical situation where such a thing might happen, but it's so far-fetched and not backed up by what actually goes on, so it's not sufficient enough to justify a potentially life threatening SWAT response.

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 18:50 NKD

Disallowing criticism of your ideas is the ultimate concession. You're basically saying that your ideas are so weak that even the most basic critical thought will dismiss them, and so you cannot allow it.

Feminism is one of these ideas. Much like the religious, feminists do not believe in critical examination of their ideas and beliefs. They don't care about facts, or truths, they only care about their feelings. If a fact and a feeling come into conflict, the feeling wins. This is literally what they believe and they'll admit as much.

If you are critical of their ideas, you're harassing them. It doesn't matter how politely you frame it, or if you engage them publicly in a venue that is meant for discussion, they don't want to hear it, period. If you're a man, you're not allowed to have an opinion. If you're a woman, you've internalized the patriarchy and are merely a sockpuppet. If you're a minority, we'll pretend to be your ally but in closed rooms we're more racist than the average, especially against blacks.

Feminism is garbage. They are a self-involved group who care only about impressing each other, rather than working for any change. No one who looks at modern feminism can tell you with a straight face that they don't see how incestuous and tight-knit the whole thing is. They are a circlejerk in the truest sense. An in-group that does nothing but pat each other on the back and disparage out-groups.

If your ideas don't stand up to critical examination, your ideas are shit and you're probably a piece of shit too for trying to suppress criticism.

3936 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo