Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3926 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Apr 25, 2015, 06:45 NKD

Speaking of Netflix, apparently they are upgrading X-Files to an HD remastered version. Some (all?) of the eps are already updated. I've seen some of the comparisons and it's really nice.

It was actually filmed in a wider aspect ratio so there's no trickery involved. Colors are much improved as well.

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015
3. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 Apr 24, 2015, 22:35 NKD

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 20:51:
....Serious?

Simulator games are incredibly popular amongst Germans and insufferable autists.

How to become an "indie game developer": Dye your hair a bright color, take a strategically angled profile pic, create a Tumblr account, fight on Twitter all day, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES ever create an actual game.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
39. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 15:12 NKD

Looks like SkyUI is switching to pay. A ton of free Skyrim mods have it as a dependency, so... the shitstorm strengthens.

There are a few people here trying to paint people who are against this as entitled whiners, but modders themselves are largely rejecting this concept as well. Not just because their cut is so small but because many of them are against the idea of charging for mods at all.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2015, 15:19.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Teaser
8. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Teaser Apr 24, 2015, 15:06 NKD

Copying and pasting Human Revolution, LOL.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: First paid mod pulled Apr 24, 2015, 12:01 NKD

Creston wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 11:40:
Well, it didn't take long for that to start blowing the fuck up.

Adding money to the drama and thievery fuelled world of modding is a recipe for disaster in one form or another.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
13. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 11:39 NKD

descender wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 11:04:

The answers to every concern brought up are readily available,

I must have missed it, what was the answer that dismisses the concern regarding support? A game update could break a mod a few days or weeks after you buy it. The modder might fix it, if they are still around and still have time. But the update could also make fundamental changes that make the mod impossible or extremely impractical to fix.

Major updates to Skyrim at this point are unlikely, but if we're imagining this system rolling out to other games, it becomes a concern.

I feel that since Bethesda are getting presumably the majority share, they have some responsibility to not invalidate peoples purchases and leave them with a mod that doesn't work and no recourse to get their money back. But in reality, no such responsibility is placed on them. If any problems arise with a mod Steam literally tells you to "ask the mod developer politely to fix it." That's it. That's your only recourse. And sometimes that might not even be possible for technical reasons.

People are fine with "as-is" software when it's free or only solicits donations. But once you start charging people, they expect that shit is going to work for the foreseeable future. That's just the reality of what people are going to expect and if mod developers can't stomach the idea of actually having to support their products the same way that "real" game developers support them, then they shouldn't be charging a dime.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
104. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 01:33 NKD

Apparently Steam Workshop mods that ask for donations outside of Steam are having their donation links removed.  

102. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 01:04 NKD

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 22:17:

Actually most usefull modding stuff was made by modders such as SKSE which is used in a lot of skyrim mods. Authors always stated that they only allowed its use in freely available mods and not for profit(thats another matter and I hope the few folks from MIT who made SKSE get some good lawyers before planning their move now).

For the record, this is incorrect. SKSE is distributed under the MIT license which allows use in commercial applications.

85. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 21:19 NKD

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 21:08:

Yeah, but weren't we talking about people pirating the game because they'd already decided to pirate the mod? These scenarios are people who already bought the game, so they don't have to pirate it.

Yeah you'd probably see that more frequently later on in the game life cycle when people have a good idea of what mods they are going to want before the buy the game. Might get a bit of sticker shock there when you've not even bought the game yet and see that the mods you want add up to $50.

80. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 21:00 NKD

Orogogus wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:39:
I'd imagine it would mostly be going the other way. People pirating the games would pirate the mods. The scenario of someone a) happy to buy a game, b) not willing to buy a mod, but c) still wanting to play it enough to pirate it, seems pretty unlikely to me. Why would this hypothetical pirate's threshold have been at the mod and not the game?

Because for the mod to exist, the game must first exist. You'll have a lot of people buying the game, playing through it, then see a bunch of mods coming out and being like "Fuck, I just paid $60 for this, I can't really spend more right now... but.... I want to play this mod... *pirate*"

Or someone gets the game on a sale, or bundled with their video card, or some other cheap way, and then sees a bunch of mods costing more than they paid for the base game...

Lots of scenarios in which someone might have once upon a time paid for a game but then later be in a situation where it's easier just to pirate.

Especially if mods never come up with DRM. It's not like modders can go around hiring companies to bust people on public trackers downloading their shit like Big Content can.

75. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:32 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 20:25:

4. We'll soon see mods showing up on torrent sites.

And how soon after until someone starts marketing mod DRM to mod developers? And will pirating those mods lead previously legitimate buyers into just saying "Fuck it" and pirating the base game while they are at it?

If you're gonna pirate the mods, then there's not much reason to not go all the way.

72. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 20:16 NKD

Here are my major concerns should this actually take off:

1) The developers and Valve get paid but have no responsibility of support. The mod could stop working at any time and you'd be fucked.

2) The gap in game enjoyment between poor gamers and wealthy gamers gets significantly larger than it is today. Only wealthy gamers will be able to afford the tens or hundreds of dollars to get the worthwhile modded content for each game.

3) Why should a developer put effort into quality, officially supported DLC, whether it be free or paid, or expansions when they are getting a 45% cut of all that sweet mod money without actually doing anything or using any resources?

63. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:37 NKD

chickenboo wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:30:
Another thing that worries me is if Steam will attempt to shut down mod websites.

It wouldn't be Valve doing it, but there will be a lot more incentive for developers to go after and shut down sites distributing mods for free if there is a way for them to get paid instead.

47. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 17:37 NKD

Ugh.  

News Comments > GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups
21. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 23, 2015, 08:36 NKD

InBlack wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 07:58:
The real question is how many of those that got burned by Rockstar's support (in addition to already having an unplayable product) will turn around and buy (or even worse, preorder) the very next thing Rockstar announces, without batting an eyelid.

I dont think any other industry in the world has better, loyal or more forgetful customers, most of us gamers are ready and willing to buy any old piece of shit in a box (or a digital download) just WOW us and HYPE us and we will give you our soul...

It's quite pathetic, but when you think about the origins of our escapism hobby, it makes a lot of sense.

I've been saying for a long time that gamers are the absolute worst customer base in the world in terms of consumer smarts, and the best for any company to have. Yes, gamers will rage and fly off the handle over just about anything, but when it comes to their purchasing decisions they are incredibly forgiving.

For most gamers, all it takes is a few shiny trailers. Even the most discerning gamers can be swayed by token efforts to regain their trust.

Look at GTA5. The performance is good, and it's pretty. This is slightly improved from GTA4 which had abysmal performance. But other than that, it's the same old story. It's a buggy mess, particularly the multiplayer. The flow of the interface is shit, the responsiveness of shooting is sluggish, the same crap we've seen from every PC GTA since Vice City. But some people, even here on Blue's, are sucking Rockstar's proverbial dick because they made one fewer mistake this time out.

Admittedly I got suckered into this one myself, and I'm a big enough man to admit I didn't use my best judgement. I saw that the performance of the game was good and bought in to play multiplayer with friends. Reviews glossed over the serious bugs, abysmal and frequent loading times, and nonsensical multiplayer workflow. To say nothing of the often unresponsive keyboard and mouse controls. If I had waited a week, all that would have been clear. Instead I let a token effort to improve upon their previous outing alter my decision.

So why did that happen? It's not like Rockstar or any other game company has leverage on me. I can easily do without their product. I have all the power in this customer relationship. I can refuse to purchase their product for any reason I want with minimal impact to myself. For me, after some introspection, I think it's mostly peer pressure. Gamers exert a lot of pressure on each other to keep up to speed on games. Imagine trying to discuss anything here at Blue's if you were only buying a select few games, and only 2 years post release during a Steam sale. You'd be so behind the times you'd have a hard time finding a relevant discussion. If you play a lot of multiplayer games, this effect is magnified since you need to get into these games while their multiplayer community is still thriving, and with your friends begging you to play with them.

I think the simplest way to put it is that purchasing games is an access pass to a community. The fewer games you purchase, the less engaged you are with gaming as a hobby, but particularly with gaming as a community. People feel a need to stay engaged, so they let peer pressure and hype sweep them along.

I can't count the number of times I've seen someone say they weren't getting a game, or were waiting for sale, but then later seen them crumble when they see their friends are buying the game. Even when they know their friends don't necessarily buy the best games, they still do it because everyone else is doing it.

12. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:52 NKD

Kosumo wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:46:
Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 21:10:
This is inexcusable for a company that makes the kind of money they do. Countdown to class action suit in 3...2...1...

You say class action all the time and it never EVER happens, It's like you are the poor step-brother of James McGill, but less cool, less James McGill, way less.

It's like you are "Better Not Call Cutter" Winkrazz

Cutter loves "class action lawsuit" and "wire fraud". Those are his favorite terms in the whoooole wide world. In his world, any time a company does something that you don't like, it's fraud and you should sue.

I'd ask Jack Thompson for legal advice before I'd ask Cuttard.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced
9. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Trilogy Announced Apr 22, 2015, 21:50 NKD

Not 40k, not interested.  

9. Re: GTA5 Account Loss Follow-ups Apr 22, 2015, 21:19 NKD

They called back and got one representative to admit customer service reps have been instructed to hang up after registering a ticket and giving that message.

Don't worry, I'm sure our local Rockstar fanboys will just say this was a miscommunication with the outsourced customer service and not in any way the fault of glorious leader Rockstar.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 16:41 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 15:43:

But you also have NO idea what cops have to deal with on and off duty.

You act as if it's some closely guarded secret, and as if there aren't hundreds of LEO forums you can visit to get an idea of what cops really deal with and what they are really thinking, right from the horses mouth. I've visited these forums and I'm very well acquainted with what cops deal with, and more importantly, the disdain with which they view the general public.

All I ask is that you please consider the other side of the coin.

I HAVE considered what their jobs are like, and it doesn't come anywhere close to balancing the scales. Even accounting for that, we still need major changes in how law enforcement operates in the US.

The first big issue is accountability. Police are too tight-knit and are notoriously terrible about keeping their own house in order. They don't rat each other out because it's career suicide. Sure, good cops will anonymously scold the bad cops online, but they sure as fuck aren't saying anything on the job about cops they actually work with!

The 'Blue Wall of Silence' makes it incredibly difficult to prosecute cops for crimes that aren't clearly caught on tape, and prosecutors don't like difficult cases. This is why so many cops get away without being charged, or get incredibly lenient deals.

It's very hard for me to give a lot of consideration to the good cops when those "good" cops will look the other way just to keep their job, and what's more, deny that there are any problems with law enforcement at all. I expect that kind of self-serving attitude from the average joe, but I expect better of our law enforcement.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2015, 15:03 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 13:17:
NKD wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:36:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 22, 2015, 00:16:

Are you a Police Officer? Then I kindly ask all of you to SHUT THE FUCK UP. Unless you have the badge you have NOTHING to offer the conversation either way. So quit trying to be a armchair officer until you've lived the life.

The fact that you think police are immune to criticism from anyone who isn't a cop is truly frightening. The police are there to serve and protect US, not the other way around. They are accountable to us, not to each other. The sooner they learn this, the better.

I don't know how many more stories about unarmed or restrained people getting gunned down I can take. I'm fucking sick of it, and by extension, fucking sick of any piece of garbage who makes excuses for it.

First of all dipshit, if you read my posts I have NEVER said police are immune to criticism, EVER. That is a FACT. And if you need to go google what a fact is, I suggest you do so. How fucking stupid are you to sit there behind your computer and tell me what I think about anything? And then call it a fact. Your ignorance is shocking.

You literally said that if people aren't cops they should shut up. If that's not what you meant to say, then you shouldn't have said it.

3926 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo