Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3429 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p
32. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 10, 2014, 15:13 NKD

This is a pretty lazy port but it runs really well and looks phenomenal when you use that program to run it at 4k downsampled to 1440. Controls are not rebindable but the default controls are pretty intuitive. WASD to move around, mouse looks around, E opens menu, Enter to go into a menu or activate a command, Backspace to go back. Don't have my gamepad plugged in so I haven't tested that.

Haven't run into any bugs yet, with the exception of a couple minor glitches in Depth of Field caused by the loader program that changes the resolution.

All in all even with the shitty port it's still a better experience than playing it on PS3.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
87. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 21:55 NKD

bigspender wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 21:13:
30fps was a joke 15 years ago, so why is it becoming standard now?
120fps is where games become alive

Because the majority of core gamers are on $400 peasant-boxes with limited power. And they seem to be okay with 30fps if it means prettier looking games. So they increase graphical quality at the cost of frame rate.

It's not exactly a mystery. Their customers are unwilling to pay more than $400 every 6-8 years for hardware, so they make do.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 21:49 NKD

Task wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 21:15:
The story (in 8 bit format) in a nutshell, spoilers, etc.

The blink-and-you-miss-it surprise cameo at around 6:15 is great.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 9, 2014, 21:04 NKD

Yes just what we need more MOBA!  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 9, 2014, 19:31 NKD

Adobe doesn't even seem to know what their DRM code is doing. Maybe they ought to pay a little more attention.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 9, 2014, 19:29 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 19:06:

I'm sure if I put out a program that scraped hard drives for personal information, I'd end up in jail.

If it was installed without the user's knowledge, stole sensitive information like credit card numbers, and was created with obvious malicious intent, then yes, you'd probably end up in jail.

A eBook program being sloppy and careless in how it implements its DRM is not illegal chief. It's stupid, but it's not illegal.

7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII Released; Only Supports 720p Oct 9, 2014, 18:42 NKD

Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed 13. 13-2 even more so. Was hoping for a more solid port, but then again they charging less than a lot of indie games for this thing so I'm willing to deal with the hassle of having to download a third party tool to get the resolution sorted out.  

60. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 14:09 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:57:

Oh right it was you. I forgot to ask the other day, are you an optometrist by the way?

Nope, not an optometrist. Closest I've ever been to optometry was selling equipment for my ex-brother-in-laws medical equipment company. It was actually kind of a shitty job because that stuff isn't nearly as expensive as the other stuff we sold like Toshiba CT machines and stuff which can be like a bazillion dollars. So I never got to really score any big contracts.

But yeah, the easiest way to do a test like that for TVs would be to replicate a rudimentary optometry test using a letter board. Instead of having so many variables, you narrow it down to just the resolution by taking things like motion smoothness, contrast ratio, and brightness out of the equation. Just slap a still image on each screen, black text on white background would probably be best so you really only need to calibrate color temp and brightness, which is easy.

It's not going to be exact since you don't have a proper optometry setup, but you're also not trying to figure out what lenses a person needs.

Then you just see what % of people can successfully read each line on each screen.

53. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:50 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:41:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:37:
Much of the advice as to when the difference in resolution is noticeable is inaccurate. Obviously there is a point at which the difference is indiscernible but if most people couldn't tell then the XB1 and PS4 would both run at 720p. I remember we had similar claims when it came to audio compression, yet audiophiles could tell the difference in blind tests. Like with many things, you won't notice the difference if you're unaware of it but it's apparent when you are.

Yeah I got it from someone else the other day about optometry tests and viewing distances but informal tests seem to indicate people can pick out 4k vs 1080p for example, of course how much detail they actually pick up is hard to pin down. I'm going to start looking for something similar with 720p vs 1080p, I bet its been done.

Well in optometry they use much more reliable tests. I.e. you read off letters. This ensures that you're not just imagining you can see smaller detail or noticing some other difference and attributing it to higher resolution, you're actually proving it.

In that informal test there you could use a different 4k and a different 1080p screen and end up with completely opposite results. You could also play 1080p source content on both screens and people would probably still pick out the 4k screen even though it isn't actually higher resolution. Why? Because there's some other attribute that hasn't been compensated for that people feel makes that screen look better.

That test is essentially meaningless, and the people who conducted it listed so many caveats that they seem aware of that as well. For something like investing in an expensive 4k screen, I'd hope people would want to dig a little deeper into what benefits they are really getting.

48. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 13:34 NKD

PHJF wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 13:26:
You're absolutely right. The only problem with that argument is Evil Within looks like shit. Not only that, but the ONLY OTHER games running id Tech 5 run at sixty fucking frames a second, ON CONSOLES.

This game could run at 60fps on consoles. There's no doubt about it. It doesn't look that amazing in screenshots, and as you said, the engine is more than capable of it. id Tech 5 has its issues, but it's never had a problem hitting 60fps even on console.

Plus, with the letterboxing, it's pushing significantly fewer pixels so it would be even easier to hit 60fps. So why not simply run it at 60fps?

It's what I said earlier, it's the designer. People are under-estimating what a fucking diva Shinji Mikami is. Seriously. The guy is one of those poseur "artistes" who think they know best for everyone and wants to micromanage every aspect of their creation. The 30fps thing is the same as the aspect ratio thing, some misguided creative choice rather than some inexplicable technical limitation that more graphically intense games on the same engine don't seem to have.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 9, 2014, 12:52 NKD

Julio wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 11:48:
Someone at Adobe needs to go to jail. Hopefully they get sued for this at a minimum.

Jail? For what? The EULA for the software gives them broad "phone home" discretion, and the data is used for the purposes of enforcing DRM that is used on some eBooks.

Last I checked, phone-home DRM wasn't illegal, and doing things you and I don't like isn't illegal either.

I'm not saying I like it, but "Somebody needs to go to jail!" at the first sign of some company doing something you don't like is just laughable.

20. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 11:32 NKD

If you read between the lines this is less about "shitty port" and more about the pretentious douchebag Japanese developer who made the game trying to dictate shit in the same way that moron directors sometimes give the projectionist "special instructions" for how to display their shit because artsy fartsy reasons.

Bethesda leaving the console unlocked is probably the best they could do without angering this moron. He doesn't want you compromising his "vision" by tinkering with settings.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
70. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 9, 2014, 03:29 NKD

Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 00:47:
Well... one of us hasn't been reading the forums much tonight. That much is obvious.

Reagle can't even remember to take his pills or bury the prostitutes he murders, you expect him to remember the difference between Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 8, 2014, 19:53 NKD

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 18:43:
GTA V PS4 release date now Nov 4. as timed-exclusive - rumor.

Skeptical, but awesome if it means playing GTA earlier...

You're buying it on PS4? So in other words, you're buying this game, for console, at full price, TWICE before you even get it for PC?

Why must you dishonor yourself with such peasant behavior?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2014, 19:44 NKD

Yeah lady, you weren't the only one tweeting about what was going on, yet somehow you're the only one who gets kept from boarding. Methinks your Twitter coverage wasn't the reason you were kept from boarding.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
19. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 8, 2014, 18:12 NKD

EricFate wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 15:10:
NKD wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 12:33:
Eh without recordings of the phone calls it's hard to say. It's possible this guy started invoking the name of his company to try and get things done. That's actually against the policies of a lot of companies. But if that's true, Comcast is still a little bitch for reporting an upset and dissatisfied customer.

The call recordings will either hang him or exonerate him. If Comcast mysteriously 'loses' said recordings, or these service calls were mysteriously NOT recorded for quality control purposes, then it won't be hard to convince a jury given Comcast's track record.

But in reality they'll bluster for a bit to the press, and then quietly settle out of court once we lose interest.

Part of the issue is that it sounds like he made calls to a non-customer-service line when he called the controller or whatever. Those calls are typically not recorded (but might have been). So it wouldn't strike me as strange or suspicious at all if there were no recordings.

Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 18:11:

Oh, and have no doubt that companies would do shit like this. Comcast is probably a 10+ million dollar customers of PWC in that office, so one call from Big Muckity Muck at Comcast to PWC, and PWC will be out in the streets sucking dick to try to keep their business. Firing one employee? SURE!

Oh definitely. They wouldn't think twice about canning an employee to preserve an important client.

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
57. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 14:30 NKD

Quinn wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 13:34:
NegaDeath wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 12:55:
I think the wonderful violence of the game keeps the combat fun for me. I don't need a "shiny" after I win, the reward is all the creative and bloody ways you bring them to an end. I'll never get tired of the one move where you make the enemy fall onto your sword. Or exploding grog and watching them run away while on fire.

Some people need a deep inventory system, others just like to watch the world burn.

Hmm the comparisson to Diablo simplified the argument I see. Killing shit over and over again is awesome in its own right, that's not the problem. The problem is that the game hasn't anything worth mentioning besides the killing. No real... I wanna say context. "The nemesis system!" Ok maybe, though for some there's nothing "nemesis" to it. If you don't get killed by Uruks, the feature is shallow as a puddle.

I don't even see what your argument is. You seem to be saying that despite the fact that many of us have had 20+ hours of fun with the game, that somehow the game sucks and we didn't actually have fun, we were just tricked or something.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 8, 2014, 12:33 NKD

Eh without recordings of the phone calls it's hard to say. It's possible this guy started invoking the name of his company to try and get things done. That's actually against the policies of a lot of companies. But if that's true, Comcast is still a little bitch for reporting an upset and dissatisfied customer.  

51. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 8, 2014, 12:06 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 10:31:
So I guess I like wasting my time, but I am a proponent of the saying "Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time". So I really want Shadows of Mordor in spite of what you say. I know I'll love it.

Yeah I don't really think every game needs to be some ultra complex and deep thing. Sometimes slaughtering the shit out of orcs for 25 hours can be fun. It was fun as hell for me. I wish more games had combat like Shadow of Mordor. In some games, the combat actually gets tedious and you just want to skip as much of it as possible. But in Mordor I would be on my way to a mission and I'd feel compelled to just rip this camp of orcs apart for no particular reason.

Sometimes a simple, tightly focused game can be more fun.

14. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 20:02 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:55:
harlock wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 19:18:
hate the game not the player

Hate the starship, not the captain?

Space Captain?

3429 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo