Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Lord of the Hunt Announced Oct 30, 2014, 17:43 NKD

nin wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 16:42:

Yeah, that was really bizarre. I would expect that kind of thing if they knew the game was going to tank. But it didn't. Someone in marketing needs to be slapped around a bit.

That's what happens when you hire an outside PR firm. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more common so publishers have less idea of what that PR firm is actually doing, and the PR firm is disconnected from the product itself.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
52. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 17:41 NKD

ASeven wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 16:51:
Total Biscuit's interview on the David Pakman show is now up, discusses the lack of journalism ethics in gaming and other topics.

Good interview. Glad to see some people know how to keep things on-topic and reasonable. These are the type of interviews and discussions we should have been having from the start.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > etc.
48. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 15:45 NKD

DV wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:34:
Ahh...Thanks NKD. It just got my blood up reading it. Maybe I shouldn't have posted in anger and being a reddit virgin. I apologize to any anti-gg or sjw I might have offended.

Well it wouldn't be a very good troll if it didn't catch a few people! Looking at the dudes posting history makes him look like a real wackjob. He posts about how much he hates Americans and how they should die, etc. Bunch of random shit all over the place. And that's just the stuff that hasn't been deleted or hidden.

News Comments > etc.
46. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 15:28 NKD

DV wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:17:

Anti-GG SJW in action. This woman did NOT deserve the hate and intolerance shown her for having her own opinion.

Did you read what you posted? The person who sent that thing is some troll from dumbass subreddits who has already been removed from his moderator position, not an SJW.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 15:16 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 15:03:
I get the symbolic nature of what he is doing but I wonder if there is more harm than good in doing it this way.

I think it's a process. When something has been treated like a dirty secret by so many people for so long, there's benefit in voluntarily and publicly stripping that secrecy away.

Yes, I think there is certain point you reach where pointing something out serves to highlight it in a negative way, and make it seem abnormal. But I don't think we're there yet for gay acceptance. You can't normalize something without first bringing it into the light of day.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Tim Cook: Oct 30, 2014, 14:45 NKD

When someone like Tim Cook comes out they aren't saying "Surprise bitches , I'm actually gay!" and expecting a round of applause. You don't get to be a CEO of a company like Apple without tons of people knowing you're gay. Why is that important? Because despite the fact that his coworkers and colleagues probably all knew he was gay, it didn't stop him from succeeding in his career.

It may not seem like much to us straight folk, but it's important for gay men and women to see these simple acknowledgements. There's a symbolic importance to it, even if the actual practical implications are minimal.

News Comments > etc.
36. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 14:27 NKD

Interesting stuff here.

Some Gamergate folks tracked down one of the people responsible for a lot of the harassment, doxxing, and threats to Anita. They tried reporting it to the FBI but the FBI said Anita has to report them herself.

So the Gamergate person tweets at Anita telling her they found one of the threat sources and they want to work together to get them busted. Anita blocks/mutes a person reaching out to try and do something concrete and real to stop the harassment.

News Comments > etc.
34. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 14:14 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 13:51:
They are the bad guys here, not Sarkeesian.

Precisely. It's not Sarkeesian's job to give equal time to other viewpoints. It would be dishonest of her to support a viewpoint that she doesn't believe in. It's the press's job to look at it from all angles. And they've failed miserably at it.

It's bullshit that the people who are responsible for diverting the discussion away from ethics in gaming journalism turn around and attack Gamergate for having too much non-ethics related talk. What the hell do they expect? They are the ones who caused the problem. They used their platform to completely shift the narrative and derail the conversation.

It's like repeatedly punching someone in the mouth and then asking them why they aren't saying anything.

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 13:02 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:48:
You seem to be going to great lengths in trying to dismiss the women in the group, which sounds kind of sexist to me.

A common viewpoint among third wave feminists is that any woman who doesn't believe in their particular flavor of feminism is simply so oppressed that she doesn't realize she's oppressed. It's incredibly condescending and demeaning to women.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 12:41 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 12:32:
And, still, it amuses me that people keep pointing out all the women and minorities in Gamergate as evidence that it isn't just white men and therefore not racist or misogynist, yet the same people use #notmyshield. They're literally trotting out non-white people as shields!

Doesn't the existence of women (and there are more than just a few) actually prove that it isn't just men? And from what I've seen, the overall movement (the non-sensationalist part that the media ignores but makes up the vast majority of the movement) is in no way misogynist or racist.

And for the record I have never even mentioned "Not My Shield", nor do I intend to.

I do find it funny that Beamer mentioned the #NotYourShield thing. Apparently, when some other group or movement tries to claim you or make you into a victim to lend legitimacy to their cause, speaking up for yourself and saying "I'm not part of your cause, thanks. I support your opponents." is hypocritical and merely a way to shield cis white males, rather than someone speaking up for themselves.

It's a no-win situation. Stay quiet and be used as a shield. Speak up, be accused of being a token, shield, or shill for the other side.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 11:48 NKD

ASeven wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 11:36:
Fun fact: Anita supported #CancelColbert. The creator of #CancelColbert is not pleased.

Anita plays the game way better than Suey Park does. First, Anita isn't a racist piece of shit, which helps her a lot in the publicity department.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 30, 2014, 11:28 NKD

Anita Sarkeesian explains Gamergate?

Maybe they can invite Westboro Baptist Church on to explain marriage equality. Or maybe they can invite on Ken Ham to explain evolution.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video
1. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video Oct 29, 2014, 23:09 NKD

Ubisoft is always good about adding PC specific graphical features, but the performance always leaves something to be desired. I'm curious how that'll play out.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 29, 2014, 11:52 NKD

While I agree with her sentiments, for the most part, I find Christina Sommers presence in the Gamergate debate to be a little self-serving and disingenuous. She has been a vocal opponent of third wave feminists for a long time and is co-opting Gamergate for her own purposes. She's only here because the feminists are here. I'm not necessarily knocking Ms. Sommers views on third wave feminism. I find that it's fundamentally flawed and frankly a little misguided in a world that's moving towards a more fluid view of gender that isn't just Men vs. Women. But Gamergate is the wrong platform for that.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2014, 11:44 NKD

That Verizon thing is so hilariously dystopian.

Start a news site, but then stipulate that you cannot write anything AT ALL about a subject that your company is wrong on. It's genius because they are going to spin it like "Well, we have an inherent interest in those stories, so we ban them to avoid conflict of interest." Except that their interest in those stories is making them disappear or downplaying their importance, so avoiding them entirely is in fact perpetuating that conflict of interest.

News Comments > WildStar Realm Transfers
2. Re: WildStar Realm Transfers Oct 29, 2014, 11:30 NKD

Darks wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 11:09:
First sign that a game is losing is subscription base when they starting moving account around and consolidating servers.

Well, technically the first sign is when the servers start to become ghost towns. That happened fairly early on. They took too long getting a solution in place. That made it worse, and more importantly, they failed to take the steps necessary to slow the attrition.

Some people were never going to stick around, because of the hardcore focus, but others were ready to play and enjoy the endgame content but could not get there because of timesinks, gating, and underpopulated servers. When people were psyched about Wildstar bringing back 40-man, difficult raids, they weren't psyched about a long grindy attunement process. That crap was dropped in at the very end of beta and got no feedback or testing. If they had been up front about it, people could have told them it was a horrible idea that nobody wanted.

You can't have the crown jewel of your content hidden behind the most tedious and difficult gating process since what EverQuest did in the Luclin expansion. Wildstar's 40-man raid is probably the least-played MMO content in history. Nearly 5 months in and there are only like a half dozen guilds even doing it. How can you justify creating content only a few hundred people are going to experience?

News Comments > etc., etc.
36. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 10:54 NKD

TheVocalMinority wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 08:40:

Using that facility to ban people you simply disagree with rather than just trolls and griefers creates a nice echo chamber which doesn't challenge and hence improve your ideas. This is not a good thing.

Normally, I'd agree with you, but when someone ignores points/flees threads when you poke a hole in their reasoning, or simply refuses to see reason altogether, it's a waste of time to respond to them. I gave those individuals ample amounts of my time and didn't even get so much as a reasonable discussion.

So blocking them ensures I don't get goaded into wasting any more time, and I can reply to people who disagree but show interest in honest dialogue. I don't tend to post a lot of one-liners IMHO. If I'm going to spend my time writing a lengthy post I want it to at least lead to an interesting discussion, not round and round in circles with someone.

26. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 03:48 NKD

beremot wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 03:22:
Now for ME to be right, and YOU to be wrong, members of GG would actually have to be responsible for many of the threats and attacks carried out against its critics or perceived enemies. These threats and attacks would then lead to a number of articles in the gaming press that are CRITICAL of GG for very OBVIOUS reasons--i.e. when when you issue threats of rape, murder, and mass murder to try to silence those who criticize you, you get .... BAD PRESS.

Firstly, I don't think there's some grand conspiracy. It's simply one-sided reporting. Nothing more to it than that. The motivations for that one-sided reporting are too numerous to list, probably as varied as the people doing the reporting. It's just simple bias.

Tell me, how does Gamergate benefit from threats and harassment? Has it actually silenced any of their opponents, or has it actually raised their opponents profiles and sabotaged the ability of Gamergate to talk about anything else? Anti-GG, feminists, and other people have benefitted HUGELY from these threats. They've gotten all kinds of interviews and press coverage they couldn't have dreamed of before. Why would anyone who actually believes in Gamergate want to give their opponents a bigger soapbox? Why are all the discussions on sites like the KotakuInAction subreddit very reasonable and level-headed? Conversely, who benefits from the doxxing and threats against Gamergate supporters? The Gamergate supporters do, though to a lesser degree since they get less press coverage.

I'm not saying it's all some big false flag conspiracy. The motivations behind the harassment are probably mixed. I'm sure there are some misguided people on both sides who have let their anger get the best of them and lash out. I'm sure there are some people attacking their own side for sympathy and to raise their own profile. I'm sure there are some people who aren't invested in either side and simply fire off threats to cause chaos and havoc for laughs.

The bottom line is we just don't know. Pretending to know where anonymous harassment comes from is folly.

So I ask you, what's served by comparing the length of harassment penises? In any debate there are going to be outliers. Assholes who want to behave like shitbirds on the Internet. Can we just never have a debate again? Is every controversial discussion going to devolve into a discussion about people being mean on the Internet? Should we decide on gun control issues based on who gets the most threats? Should we decide on abortion issues based on who gets the most threats?

When you stop debating the issue, and start a huge meta-debate about how each side has conducted itself, you've already lost the plot.

23. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:27 NKD

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 02:05:

This whole line of thinking is so wrong-headed I honestly don't even know where to start. So before Gamergate became a thing Twitter was never used for harassment? Do you guys even think about this stuff before you type it?

Join me!

22. Re: etc., etc. Oct 29, 2014, 02:19 NKD

beremot wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 01:37:
First, as you probably know if you've read any of my other posts, I don't believe it is a coincidence that female critics of gamergate who speak out are then targeted for various forms of harassment, up to and including threats of mass murder. No, I don't think these are "lone wolves," or "false flag" operations. There is just too much of a pattern going on here.

Having said that ... I think the problem you've described in your post, is, whether or not you believe GG is responsible, inherent in its very existence, since literally anyone can get on twitter and "become" a member of GG, as far as I know. Which means all "members" of gamergate can deny responsibility for the actions of any other "member," since all they have to do is say this other, usually anonymous person, isn't "really" a "member" or "associate" or whatever. It is a recipe for chaos. Of course members of GG can and do act collectively when they want to, but the built-in ability to deny that anyone who acts badly is actually a member, remains.

As for Anita Sarkeesian ... do you really believe she has anywhere near the number of "followers" that GG has? Or that they often act collectively, the way GG can and does?

I know that GG receives its own share of threats, etc, but I doubt they are anywhere near the number Sarkeesian or any of the other prominent feminists receive. I also find it very hard to believe, as some allege, that committed feminists are delivering rape threats to GG's female members. That would be like vegetarians committing cannibalism or Christians calling on the power of Satan. Feminists really really really don't believe rape is ever a good thing, even as a threat to direct against those they strongly disagree with.

Your post is interesting because it's really a precise example of what I'm talking about. People can just associate threats with one group or another, and the only thing that lends one association more credibility than another is your personal belief. You play up the threats against "your" side, saying you don't believe it's a coincidence, and that there must be some coordinated effort involved. Then you downplay threats to the other side, saying the threats are somehow less in number or less in severity, and declaring that "your" side would be less inclined to do such a thing.

You don't actually have any numbers or evidence lending any more credence to one association over the other, yet you believe one side to be guilty as sin, and the other side to be mostly innocent. Why is that? It's because that's what the gaming press says is true.

If you just read articles about Gamergate on mainstream gaming news sites, you will be unable to see the big picture. You have to go to Twitter, or reddit, or actually put in some effort to see all the harassment, doxxing, and other shenanigans Gamergate folks have been put through. Why? Because the gaming press only reports one side. As far as I can recall, the gaming press has not posted a single article about a prominent Gamergate supporter being harassed, doxxed, or otherwise fucked with.

Where was the article about that guy getting a knife mailed to him with a letter saying "Kill yourself."? Where was the article about that guy getting the cops and fire department sent to his house and his fiance getting doxxed? I only found out about it because of a link in a relatively small sub on reddit. How is that fair? Why are these threats somehow less important than the other ones?

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo