Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3572 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges
7. Re: Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges Dec 19, 2014, 08:13 NKD

PropheT wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 23:10:
"While we agree that this would be a good way for us to make more money, what we're mostly interested in is the money. We think we'll make a lot of it.

We look forward to ignoring any feedback you may have as we move to implement this feature."

That doesn't even really make sense. For every schmuck who buys extra game time off them to sell in-game, there's a person in-game buying their game time with gold instead of cash.

Blizzard would, in the long run, break even. Though surplus game time floating around in the market would buffer it a bit. But if there's too much game time and not enough buyers, then people will stop buying the game time, or the prices will plummet, etc.

Unless they charge significantly more for the time codes than for normal monthly subscription fees, they don't make much money, if any at all in the long run.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges
1. Re: Blizzard Exploring Gold for WoW Playtime Exchanges Dec 18, 2014, 21:02 NKD

This is a good way to cut down on illegal gold selling. It doesn't stop it entirely, because the Chinese usually have better prices, but plenty of players would prefer to use a legit scam-free way even if they aren't getting quite as much gold.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

News Comments > WildStar Update Plans
3. Re: WildStar Update Plans Dec 17, 2014, 16:30 NKD

Wildstar had several flaws that made it flop.

The first is the 40-Man Content. Not a flaw in itself, but combined with other stuff decreasing the player base and adding barriers to entry, proved to be a disaster.

The attunement process was a big one. It was dumped on the game very late and without any real testing. It served as a huge gating process. Gating their best content behind tedious speed-runs and punching bag world boss camping was a bad move. Lack of transfers between PvE and PvP servers was an issue as well. An artificially limited recruiting pool really sucks for trying to maintain a sizeable roster in a shrinking player base.

They were also slow to respond to the diminishing population. While it is addressed now, a lot of people had already left the game simply because they were trapped on low population servers with no ability to do anything.

You can have a game with challenging content, but you have to ensure people can at least get into the content and try it. If they are unable to get past layers of tedium, or insufficient server population, they will leave and never come back.

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Dec 4, 2014, 19:22 NKD

Looks better than the last two movies. Much more of a T2 feel to whats going on there.  

News Comments > Game of Thrones Episode 1 Next Week
4. removed Nov 29, 2014, 16:32 NKD

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 30, 2014, 11:48.

News Comments > Black Friday Interviews
25. Re: Black Friday Interviews Nov 29, 2014, 10:46 NKD

Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 09:55:
NKD wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 05:12:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 02:16:
Religion is just a process to control the masses.

Yep. Governments come and go, and can be overthrown when people get pissed. But over time if you can convince people that your rules and regulations come from some unknowable untouchable eternal deity, they last a lot longer. Not forever though, all religions die.

I really struggle to understand how any intelligent human being can continue to believe in that crap once they are freed from constant indoctrination from their parents or whoever else.

I have no respect for anyone who willingly throws reason out the window in favor of magical thinking.

The only problem with that world view is that it inevitably leads to relativism and brute survival. Civilization is not possible without a set of norms. And if those norms are not set by something greater than humanity, then they are simply arbitrary. So why obey them?

Morality (the foundation of all human interaction) is impossible without some rules transcending human preference (even those few non-Christian U.S. Founding Fathers appealed to "natural law" for their rights). If all morality is simply human invention, then human conduct is simply a matter of choice. There is no distinction between kindness and cruelty. Human beings are just animals. I have no respect for anyone who willingly reduces all of the human condition to simply human whim.

That cruises pretty close to the old "No morality without religion" argument. There's nothing magical about imposing order. And there's no shame in admitting that our laws and rules, many of them, are fairly arbitrary. They are in place because we acknowledge humanity's often selfish or petty nature and agree, as a group, that they are better than having no laws. The problem arises when religious doctrine goes from "No, you cannot murder that dude and steal his cows. to "No, you cannot marry that dude and help him raise cows." or "No, you cannot teach science that conflicts with religious creation myths."

Morality has historically been linked to religious beliefs, but it's not a causal relationship. Religion has shaped the morality of people, not created it. After all, these religions were created by men, not by gods. Normal human beings who wanted order but lived in an uncivilized time. That time is past, and that's why religious belief on the whole is in a decline. People simply don't need it anymore.

News Comments > Black Friday Interviews
21. Re: Black Friday Interviews Nov 29, 2014, 05:12 NKD

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 29, 2014, 02:16:
Religion is just a process to control the masses.

Yep. Governments come and go, and can be overthrown when people get pissed. But over time if you can convince people that your rules and regulations come from some unknowable untouchable eternal deity, they last a lot longer. Not forever though, all religions die.

I really struggle to understand how any intelligent human being can continue to believe in that crap once they are freed from constant indoctrination from their parents or whoever else.

I have no respect for anyone who willingly throws reason out the window in favor of magical thinking.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2014, 21:12 NKD

mag wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 16:14:
Task wrote on Nov 28, 2014, 15:58:
I doubt Mara Jade is in it, but obviously the books had more than that going for them. That narrator with the gravely voice sounded like Tony Todd.

Also I'm not out shopping today, screw Black Friday or Brown Thursday or whatever the fluck it is now.

The narrator is Smaug. I mean Khan. I mean Sherlock. I mean... Benedict Cummerbund or whatever.

That's a strange way of spelling Max von Sydow. The narrator was pretty obviously him, who is actually in the film.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Nov 27, 2014, 12:54 NKD

Watching people try to find a non-offensive way to complain about gays is always fun.  

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
4. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 10:17 NKD

I can understand the idea that they feel a huge amount of players in the online environment is critical to getting an accurate portrait of the game. But I don't think it justifies holding off on review copies. Game reviewers, at least any competent ones, will obviously point out situations where the pre-launch environment might not be representative of post-launch.

I think readers can decide for themselves whether more people would make a difference for them, given what they would read about the other parts of the game.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Content
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Free Content Nov 20, 2014, 22:14 NKD

Not even free is good enough for some people.  

News Comments > WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers
11. Re: WoW Re-Passes 10M Subscribers Nov 19, 2014, 21:19 NKD

If you look at this chart this is the biggest subscriber bump they've ever had.

Creston wrote on Nov 19, 2014, 19:43:
These numbers seem odd. If they had 7.4 million subscribers recently, 3.3 million people bought Draenor, and now they passed 10 million subscribers, in essence they're saying that the large majority of people who bought Draenor were no longer subscribing, and only a small portion of the existing subscriber base bought it?

These numbers are as of Nov 13th. China didn't get the expansion until the 18th. So there are quite a few copies of WoD not accounted for in that 3.3 million.

News Comments > Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime
5. Re: Free WoW Time to Compensate for Downtime Nov 19, 2014, 05:32 NKD

I was almost done with WoW during Mists of Pandaria. I played a little here and there but I didn't do much raiding or anything else. But Warlords is a god damn phenomenal expansion so far and I see myself playing it for quite a while.

The world, the setting, it feels like Warcraft again. Leveling two characters 90-100 was a breeze. You can level a character over a weekend, and it's not grindy at all. There are tons of treasures and hidden items all over that give XP, gear, toys, gold, etc. Bonus objectives that you can do, or skip, while in an area doing some other quest. They give about the same XP as 4 quests and generally involve killing a fairly tame number of enemies, picking up stuff, etc.

The Garrison stuff is an excellent new feature, and integrates really well with the massive changes to crafting.

Aside from the server queue issues, I haven't seen this much positivity among the player base in a long time. People who reluctantly got back into the game to check things out are hooked by the new features. Even the casual members of my guild who don't plan on raiding are having fun. A huge part of any MMO is the people. Guilds fall apart and people quit in a kind of domino fashion. Once one person gets fed up and leaves, more will follow. Once people start bitching about things, it's not long before they are gone. So it's really nice after the last few MMO flops to see people in my guild really getting excited and having fun again.

Raids aren't out yet, so I can't speak to that, but the dungeons are a lot of fun and really well tuned.

News Comments > Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity
4. Re: Ubisoft on AMD & Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 12, 2014, 21:15 NKD

Doesn't run acceptably on Nvidia systems either.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 16:54 NKD

You know honestly I have no problem with them having in-game purchases for what are effectively cheat codes for a basically single player game. It's not like you're missing out on content as far as I can tell. If people want to be dumb enough to spend $100 to upgrade their weapons, okay. Even the free stuff like Initiates and the Companion app are more of a problem.

But I'm mostly concerned with the lack of polish that is even worse than normal Ubi levels. I realize that it's a new engine, but come on. My monster of a system should be able to get a mostly steady 60fps at SOME kind of quality settings.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Reviews Nov 12, 2014, 00:00 NKD

Rhett wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 23:41:
This is not boding well for Far Cry 4. They better not screw that up too. Watch_Dogs was great (but lacked polish), and this sounds just horrible... It has a positive review rating of 35% on Steam right now.

Most of those reviews seem to consist of "Doesn't run on my potato!" Which is a fair criticism. Game runs like poop.

I have a 4.2GHz i7-3970K six-core processor and three Titans and I can't get anywhere near a steady 60fps with everything maxed at 1440p.

I imagine there's a few bugs involved there though, rather than just performance scaling. Because changing settings, for me, doesn't really improve my framerate.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity
40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 21:48 NKD

Extremely pretty game. Performance is sluggish in return though. Combat is harder this time around, and has more progression to it. The enemies actually have a difficulty level based on what part of the city you're in, as opposed to just being the same throughout. You can kill a single max level guy at the start if you're very quick and a bit lucky. But you'll want to get better weapon/armor and upgrade them. Even escaping from guards can be more difficult as many are not shy about shooting you for a lot of damage the second you get some distance on them.

The world is more detailed and has a lot more people in it than the games have had before. There really are crowds of hundreds if not thousands of people.

Anyway, those are my impressions thus far. Can't really speak to the story or anything like that yet since I'm not too far in.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers
1. Re: AMD Catalyst Beta Drivers Nov 10, 2014, 21:51 NKD

unsupported support  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Nov 10, 2014, 21:32 NKD

Flatline wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 21:24:
Beamer wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 21:01:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:53:
Oh Adam Baldwin. Why couldn't you just stay Jane and Animal Mother in our memories, and not start spouting right wing conspiracy theories?

I suppose this is true for most actors; few people want to hear their madness, just watch them perform on screen.

Yup. Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin, too. Some people come across as well nuanced. Adam Baldwin comes across as well read but a complete and total ass. Must run in the Baldwin name...

All the Baldwin brothers need periodic enemas to keep from spewing shit from all orifices.

Adam Baldwin isn't related

News Comments > Assassin's Creed: Rogue Trailer
1. Re: Assassin's Creed: Rogue Trailer Nov 10, 2014, 20:09 NKD

Nice to have a game where the Assassins aren't painted as the indisputable good guys. I know the other games have hinted at their ability to be less than awesome, but they've never really put a focus on it.  

3572 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo