Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 3699 (Veteran)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
3. Re: Evening Screenshots Mar 28, 2015, 01:00 NKD

siapnar wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 00:56:
I saw "1 comment" and knew it was you.

Didn't disappoint.

These are some purdy shots

Rockstar Information Minister assures you everything is great in Shillistan!

Every time you preorder a game, you become part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam
2. Re: H1Z1 Sells 1M Copies on Steam Mar 24, 2015, 09:38 NKD

Axis wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 09:21:
And I still have no interest, am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything.

For me, there are a lot of games that sell 1 million copies that I don't have interest in. In fact I'd say the majority of games that sell 1 million copies I have never and will likely never play.

There's no reason to expect that a game selling 1 million copies is going to have some kind of universal appeal.

Every time you preorder a game, you become part of the problem. Don't be part of the problem.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 24, 2015, 02:51 NKD

We're reporting on Kicktraq projections now? The fuck?  

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 22, 2015, 04:30 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 04:21:
MOST is not ALL. Dirty, Powerhungry Asshole cops DO deserve to have bad things to them. But to include all of them in such an ignorant blanked statement is rather asinine.

You think there's a meaningful distinction between a dirty cop and a good cop who stands by and does nothing?

Not every individual cop is inherently guilty, but collectively, they are all guilty because of their blue wall of silence nonsense. Cops are simply not held responsible for their actions near as often as they should be.

There's a point at which the presence of good people in a corrupt system does not justify that system's continued existence. We need a serious overhaul to law enforcement accountability, and I'm seriously confused why some people believe more accountability for cops is bad.

"Some cops are good." is a meaningless cop-out, pardon the pun. It doesn't justify or explain away the systemic problems with law enforcement.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Mar 22, 2015, 03:29 NKD

NamecaF wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 00:01:

The blanket police bashing here is getting old.

Oh, police bashing is getting old? Not half as old as the widespread police misconduct in this country and the even more widespread shielding of those bad cops by their supposedly "honest" fellow officers. Not half as old as hearing news reports about someone unjustly shot by the police and then more news reports months later about those police not facing any serious consequences. I see posts like yours every day. "Not every cop is bad! Stop being mean to cops! You should have a better opinion of them!" Fuck that shit. The hurt feelings of some cop are the least of my worries at this point.

The justice system in this country gives cops a free pass. The so-called "good" cops that supposedly make up the majority? Yeah, they almost never turn on their own. Good cops give dirty cops a free pass too. Cops don't snitch on cops. Any "good" cop who tolerates bad cops in his department isn't a good cop at all.

And that's not even getting into the issues with the over-proliferation of SWAT teams, specifically. Most people don't seem to realize this, but 20 years ago most areas didn't have SWAT teams. Now every fucking town over 30,000 people has one.

I was "swatted" once way back in the mid 90s by a bitter ex-girlfriend. Of course it wasn't called swatting then, and my town didn't have a SWAT team at the time. But do you know what happened? The police called my landline at about 11PM and asked if everything was okay and told me they received a call. They asked me to please exit my front door with my hands visible so we could sort this all out. It was all done and over in 20 minutes and I didn't see a single automatic weapon or armored vehicle. My door was not bashed in, I did not get tear gassed. I was searched and they snooped around my house a bit but I was not hand-cuffed. While it was a traumatic incident, it wasn't nearly as bad as it would have been had it happened today.

These suburban SWAT teams are a product of police paranoia. Urban areas with a lot of gang activity or civil unrest are one thing. But you have towns with extremely low crime rates and virtually no murders who feel the need to have a SWAT team standing by for some shit that will never happen.

A lot of police apologists have these fantasies in their head about what SWAT teams are used for. They aren't used primarily to rescue hostages like in video games. 80% of the time they are raiding low level non-violent offenders for drugs, usually marijuana. Less than 10% of deployments are for hostage or shooter situations. You can look these stats up.

The bottom line is this: Law enforcement in the US hasn't proven itself capable of holding its own accountable. As such, they cannot be trusted with a militarized force. There are inadequate protections in place. Police responsibility has to go up, or powers granted to police have to go down. You can't increase power without increased checks and balances. Particularly when existing checks and balances don't seem to work at all.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 21, 2015, 21:51 NKD

It's surprising that I haven't really heard of gamers being gunned down in their homes by swatting. We've been very fortunate. There have been many incidents before where SWAT raids go horribly wrong and some person at the wrong address or some kid gets fuckin killed or maimed.

Only a matter of time before one of these things go badly and some streamer gets his head blown off by some piggly wiggly live on stream.

Something really needs to be done.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 20, 2015, 21:44 NKD

If my first attempt or two to kill a spider fail, I conclude that I did not try hard enough or that he has out-witted me. I then deem them worthy of the effort it takes to scoop them up and put them outside.  

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales
2. Re: The International Ticket Sales Mar 20, 2015, 21:41 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 20, 2015, 20:57:
People pay to watch these people play games? Talk about a bunch of people with no life whatsoever.....kind of sad when you think of it.

"Stop liking what I don't like!"

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Trailer
5. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Trailer Mar 19, 2015, 19:17 NKD

Hah, that wing leader is Starbuck. Dreams come true.  

News Comments > Cryptic Layoffs
6. Re: Cryptic Layoffs Mar 19, 2015, 13:47 NKD

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 10:17:
How do you 'become' a community manager anyway?

Social media savvy, friendliness, and the able to serve as the punching bag for your community's every complaint and whine without ever getting angry or taking it out on the community. Often times you're more than just a mouthpiece, you're also involved in decision making regarding community and the flow of information and feedback. Some come from a forum background, others have more of a PR background. It's very often an internally promoted position.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 22:56 NKD

They really want everyone on Windows 10. Giving it away, turning pirated copies of 7 and 8 legit, etc.  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
26. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 11:15 NKD

InBlack wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 10:52:
NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 10:51:
I posted this very same thing in a thread two weeks ago. If they were going to make a "retro" Half Life 3 that is basically just an updated Half Life 2, they'd have done it already. Whatever we see from Half Life in the future is going to be very different, and the more time passes, the more likely it is it won't even be a continuation of the existing story.

You mean like Duke Nukem Forever, where they changed the engine like three times, and the story like twenty times? Yeah that turned out fucking fantastic.

Yeah Duke Nukem Forever is the perfect example of what to avoid. They took forever to ship it, and it was just a carbon copy of Duke3D. Zero innovation, just a lot of years spend wasted on redoing all their tech and assets over and over. And the pasting it took in all the reviews for being underwhelming given the years of hype basically destroyed that franchise.

News Comments > Steam EU Refunds Now Available [Updated]
23. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available Mar 18, 2015, 11:04 NKD

Overon wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:38:
Can you actually waive your rights away in EU like that?

It's not cut and dried. Much like in the US, you can agree to whatever contractual terms you'd like. But in court it's not as certain. You could get a ruling that the contractual terms are invalid for whatever reason. Sometimes this means that portion of the contract is void, other times it'll mean the entire contract is thrown out. There's a lot of leeway on the part of the presiding official as to how things will go.

Much like in the US, you can sign away certain legal protections if the courts feel the contract is fair and that you were made appropriately aware of the terms when you agreed. It's not as if in Europe you get a free pass out of every contractual agreement if you get buyers remorse. But things like "shrink wrap" contracts may not hold up in EU court. It all depends on how the contract was presented to you. If it can be argued that you were tricked into agreeing via fine print or huge walls of legalese, then you've got an out.

But at the end of the day, no one on this board is a smarter lawyer than the ones Valve hired to write up that little clause, so odds are they think there's a solid chance it covers their ass well enough to give them a good shot against most claims.

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
21. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 10:51 NKD

I posted this very same thing in a thread two weeks ago. If they were going to make a "retro" Half Life 3 that is basically just an updated Half Life 2, they'd have done it already. Whatever we see from Half Life in the future is going to be very different, and the more time passes, the more likely it is it won't even be a continuation of the existing story.  

News Comments > TITAN X Available
1. Re: TITAN X Available Mar 17, 2015, 19:53 NKD

Fucking fast card. Not really cost effective at $999 MSRP, but my current setup wasn't cost effective either so I can't really criticize too much.

Still, it looks to make 4k gaming at max or near max settings with AA at least playable on a single GPU. Not 60fps, but looks to be over 30fps consistently. Also interesting is that the retarded amount of memory is already useful. HardOCP was showing VRAM usage of near 8GB in Dying Light with 8x AA.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
46. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 23:15 NKD

I wonder if you dudes get tired of having the same conversation and making the same posts in basically the same order in every Star Citizen thread...  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 16, 2015, 12:46 NKD

Heh Rockstar is a notoriously shitty place to work that abuses the fuck out of its employees. It'll be interested to see how well that TV drama captures that.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 14, 2015, 00:40 NKD

LittleMe wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 23:15:
The police are no longer afraid of the populace. It's not just talk. They've been preparing for an escalated war on the people, militarizing up.

They are basically bypassing the Posse Comitatus Act. The government can't use the military as domestic law enforcement under normal circumstances, so instead they just turn our police departments into militarized units.

You have towns with 30,000 people and very small amounts of violent crime, and virtually no murders, who have bored SWAT teams with APCs and heavy weapons ready to be used on every weed dealer and prank call. The problem with this is that abusive law enforcement have more tools, and more dangerous tools, with which to conduct that abuse.

They use things like mass shootings to justify these SWAT teams because they know no one will sign off on that shit if they openly admit it's just for busting low level drug offenders with shock & awe. But let's not forget that by the time the SWAT team shows up to that shit, everything is over and the damage is done.

Anyone who buys into the line that these ever increasing SWAT teams are necessary is straight up delusional. They get this idea in their heads of SWAT teams being used to rescue hostages and stop active shooters, when in fact that's actually supremely rare and most SWAT teams in most towns won't see a call like that but once every few years.

But in this country we have this pussy little attitude where any expensive, any cost to our freedom and liberty, is worth paying if it saves just one life. How can you argue with people like that? People who will sign off on literally any expansion to police armament and power because they envision it one day saving an extra life, even though the statistics show that those expanded police powers are predominantly used to bully minorities and non-violent offenders.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 13, 2015, 15:45 NKD

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 14:57:
but acting like the cops are just a bunch of cowboys is incorrect and irresponsible.

You haven't been paying attention to what's going on in this country then.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
9. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2015, 12:30 NKD

Why the fuck is League of Legends a "persistent game"? It doesn't have a persistent world. It's a lobby game. Yet it's in the same category with EVE and WoW. Fucking World of Tanks was in there too, another lobby game.  

3699 Comments. 185 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo