Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Chris Recoskie

Real Name Chris Recoskie   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mechanik
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.eclipse.org/cdt
Signed On Apr 23, 2000, 14:53
Total Comments 47 (Suspect)
User ID 4205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC
17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dead Island Ryder White DLC Feb 2, 2012, 11:21 Mechanik

I'm not sure why there is so much hate on for this game. It's an RPG... RPGs have fetch quests... it's no different in that respect than Skyrim or any other RPGS.

The plot was a bit disjoint in places I admit. Yes, the ending was a let down compared to my expectations, but it was still a good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly and finished the game.

Quality-wise, it was fine after the first patch really.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Syndicate Trailer
1. Re: Syndicate Trailer Feb 2, 2012, 07:54 Mechanik

So this is an FPS now? I just lost any and all interest. This is not Syndicate.  

News Comments > New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything)
2. Re: New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything) Sep 22, 2011, 13:48 Mechanik

Call me when they make an isometric, turn based strategy game again.  

News Comments > No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3
14. Re: No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3 Aug 31, 2011, 10:58 Mechanik

Ok, what about grenades and other area of effect weapons? I can see them automatically forcing the player to lower their weapon if their crosshairs point at a civilian, but how are they going to stop that bouncing grenade from blowing up a civvie?  

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Back in Action Trailer
1. Re: Jagged Alliance Back in Action Trailer Jul 22, 2011, 23:05 Mechanik

Not much to see here. They've basically just redone a couple of cinematics from Jagged Alliance 2. They're alright and all, but I'd really rather see gameplay.  

News Comments > Steam Sale Runs out of Risen Keys
15. Re: Steam Sale Runs out of Risen Keys Nov 15, 2010, 13:20 Mechanik

kxmode wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 11:47:
Thank you Valve employee Mechanik Wink

Hah... I wish. IBM actually.

News Comments > Steam Sale Runs out of Risen Keys
5. Re: Steam Sale Runs out of Risen Keys Nov 15, 2010, 11:13 Mechanik

Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2010, 10:03:
I find it funny that they can even run out of virtual keys.

It's probably the case that they have a model where out of many possibly valid keys, only a certain portion of them are flagged in a database as activated and will actually allow the game to function. This helps combat people pirating the game using a key generation tool, as the key generator has to hit upon a key that is both valid and active for the game to work, rather than just reverse engineering the validity algorithm.

So, I'm guessing they only had a certain number of activated keys, which is good sense because if you activate too many, you run the risk of the key generators hitting valid keys. Given that demand far exceeded their expectations, they ran out of the ones already activated.

Now, one can easily say that they ought to have activated more keys than they thought they'd ever need for the sale, just in case. I don't know what the sales numbers were, so I can't comment on how realistic that expectation is. Maybe they did that already, and demand even exceeded that number. But, why get so worked up? Is it the end of the world if you don't get to play a video game for 24 hours? It's not like it's critical to your survival. They screwed up and they're fixing it.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines VTMB2010
4. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines VTMB2010 Jul 26, 2010, 13:57 Mechanik

The comments on the forums at Planet Vampire indicate that the guy that put together this uber-mod didn't get the permission of the original mod developers to modify their code. Ugh. Thankfully they're being pretty cool about it.  

News Comments > X-COM Fan Remake
6. Re: X-COM Fan Remake Jul 14, 2010, 08:27 Mechanik

Kudos to them. Looks VERY close to the original... to the point where I think they might actually just be remaking the engine and reusing the original art.

Not to take anything away from them, but given that I just bought ALL the XCOM games on Steam a couple of weeks ago for like $5 or something, is a remake really needed?

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Patched
3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 16, 2010, 07:33 Mechanik

Hmmmm... doesn't say whether they fixed what I think is the worst bug...

In assassination mode, the AI makes no effort to protect his commander. You attack his base, he'll just throw his commander right into the fray, even though he's hopelessly outgunned. Tell all units to attack his commander, and you'll have won in about 10-20 seconds.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released
32. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Map Pack Released Mar 30, 2010, 14:49 Mechanik

Personally I think it's retarded that they even have optics on the M60 in this game. Such a beast doesn't exist in real life unless you did some highly custom work. Even if you did, running at full auto with optics on is working at cross purposes to yourself. Good luck keeping your reticle on target at 4x while you are slinging rounds out at that rate. It's a machine gun for chrissakes, not a sniper rifle or a main battle rifle. What the fuck were they thinking?  

News Comments > Tex Murphy on GOG.com
9. Re: Tex Murphy on GOG.com Jun 16, 2009, 14:29 Mechanik

Ahhh, memories... Martian Memorandum, how I miss thee. I might just have to get these for nostalgia sake. I'm betting the software rendered 3D in the later titles no longer renders at 1 frame every 2 or 3 seconds like it did on my Cyrix p150+ back in the day.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge Dec 7, 2008, 10:18 Mechanik

Brigade E5 is just awful. The interface is so terrible that I couldn't get through the first mission, and this is coming from someone that's played through JA2 umpteen times.

I tried to play the Hired Guns demo a couple of months ago but it crashed on startup complaining of the absence of some DirectX dll. Doesn't fill me with confidence. If I can't play the demo, I'm not taking the chance that I can't play the game.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Early Access Today
97. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 08:31 Mechanik

One thing I don't like and mentioned it when I saw the videos is that every bullet from every gun is a tracer. I wish they'd turn that off, it's distracting.

I also think the gun selection is a little weird, and unrealistic. The pistol and shotgun I can see being readily available after a zombie infection, but an Uzi? Maybe if this is taking place in Israel, but Uzi's don't hold 50 rounds in the magazine and neither do M-16's.

The pistol resembles an M1911 type but holds 15 rounds, I don't think so. Most M1911 type pistols hold 6 or 7 rounds in the magazine. I have a Para Ordnance P13-45, which is based on the M1911 design, but uses a double stack magazine and holds 13 rounds + 1 in the chamber.

I wish they made it so you would start off with pistols and shotguns, and have to fight your way to a gun shop, pawn store or police station to pick up some better weapons.

The tracers don't really bother me. I think they did it that way because the levels are so dark in many places that it's hard to see where your bullets are impacting otherwise.

Agreed about the guns being handled somewhat unrealistically. It also seems weird in that they seem to consume less ammo than you shoot. E.g., you let a burst off that should really drain your mag, but you've only consumed 10 rounds.

The 1911 could be a double stacked 9mm I guess, in which case 15 round mags would make sense... but it doesn't feel like a 9mm when you shoot it. It definitely feels like a .45. Really though if we're going to get hung up on anything it should be the infinite .45 ammo and not that they changed the mag size. And the infinite piles of ammo and guns laying tables, etc.

There are a lot of dead military folks around (crashed humvee, zombies wearing BDU's), as well as dead cops, so finding tactical firearms laying around is perhaps not totally unrealistic. I agree that the Uzi doesn't really make sense though in this context. If it was the 80's and they raided the local crack den for weapons, maybe I guess.

I'm so used to games being unrealistic about guns though that I can overlook all of this. Let's face it, for the most part, they are targeting these games at people that have never even held a gun in real life, rather than people that go to the range every week like I do (or you do from the sound of it) and use Guns & Ammo as reading material on the toilet. These people are never going to know the difference, and if anything are going to complain that they're running out of ammo too fast. And also, clearly they are trying to emulate the Zombie Movie genre and the stereotypes and cliches that come with it (the movie poster that shows up as your loading screen is clear evidence of this). Cliches in such movies such as guns rarely running out of ammo are a staple. As such, even though I agree with you, it's still a great game and I don't feel it's worth getting hung up on.

90. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 7, 2008, 00:03 Mechanik

Just downloaded an update... looks like Valve is actively working on some of the issues people are reporting here.

Here's the update text from Steam:

November 6, 2008 - Left 4 Dead Demo Update Released

Updates to Left 4 Dead Demo have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Left 4 Dead Demo

Fixed several issues with matchmaking and password protected servers

Tuned matchmaking to provide better search results

Fixed bug where servers could stay reserved by matchmaking forever

Performance optimizations and fixes to networking layer

Fixed issue where game could cause Steam executable to use too much CPU

Fixed music resetting when changing video settings

Fixed some issues with not being able to chat and/or connect to other users

39. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 6, 2008, 13:05 Mechanik

Oh and BTW, zero stability issues for me.  

37. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 6, 2008, 13:04 Mechanik

I've been playing it for about the last hour on Normal. Single player only, haven't taken it up online yet. Haven't finished it yet (got to the Witch and got my ass handed to me) but here are my impressions.

INTENSE action. Zombies!!!! Dozens of them! They're in your face, clawing, biting, your gun is on full auto, mowing them down as fast as they can pour at you. More of an adrenaline rush than Doom or Serious Sam. They come in waves. Sometimes it's tensely quiet, then all of a sudden... ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE. Climbing in the windows, climbing over barricades, rushing through the door. EVERYWHERE. The AI "Director" seems to do a really good job of amping the action up or cooling it down as needed.

The Boomers will start scaring the living bejesus out of you because if you don't kill them before they hit you with their bile vomit, HORDES of zombies will suddenly be attracted to the bile and rush you, and with the vomit burning your eyes you can't see right, all you can do is go full auto on all the zombie shapes swarming you and hope that you and your buddies mow them all down.

Teammate AI is good at what it does, which is follow you and kill zombies. They haven't gotten stuck on me yet. They don't seem to really follow orders, e.g. "Lead the way" usually results in "stare at me until I decide to lead instead", but they were in general a real help and not a hindrance. If anything they're too good... if you get overwhelmed you can usually fall back behind them and they'll just take care of all the zombies for you.

Zombie AI seems a bit spotty. Sometimes the slightest disturbance will alert the entire horde to your presence and they will rush you, other times you can snipe them at your leisure from 50 meters away and they barely seem to notice. Seems like a glitch?

The variety of zombie models is top notch, so if you were worried that you'd be killing the same John Doe Zombie over and over, worry not. The zombie death animations and gore are also plentiful and varied.

You need a little bit of suspension of disbelief. On Normal at least, it's pretty hard to die. I've heard that this is because the survivors are immune to the zombie virus, so it makes sense I guess, but I'm more used to the case in zombie movies where if you get bitten then you are infected, and hence doomed. That might not make for the most fun gameplay though so I'll excuse that. Also, ammo is ridiculously plentiful, but then again, so are the zombies to kill with it, which makes for better gameplay, so again, entirely excuseable.

Bottom line, if you want INTENSE, GORY ACTION, with LOTS OF SHOOTING AND KILLING zombies, then definitely buy this game. It exceeded my expectations and I'm very glad I prepurchased it.

21. Re: Left 4 Dead Early Access Today Nov 6, 2008, 09:14 Mechanik

Preloaded it overnight. I'm now anxiously waiting the next 45 minutes for them to unlock the thing.

Good(?) thing I'm home sick today already or I would have to wait until evening to try it out.

News Comments > Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge for the Holidays
3. Re: Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge for the Holidays Oct 31, 2008, 12:21 Mechanik

Tried to run the demo, but it keeps barfing saying it can't find some Direct3D dll... mind you Direct3D works fine in other games and in DXDIAG... go figure...  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Penny Arcade Adventures, Episode Two, Demo
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Penny Arcade Adventures, Episode Two, Demo Oct 29, 2008, 10:36 Mechanik

Anyone know when it's due out on Steam?  

47 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo