Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for nutshell42

Real Name nutshell42   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 11, 2007, 21:21
Total Comments 213 (Novice)
User ID 41973

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Trailer
12. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Feb 29, 2012, 14:14 nutshell42

Parias wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 12:27:
This was exactly my thought too, it looked like it dropped with a disposable thrust system to help it get down in one piece.

I'd just like to add that that's not something the Mechwarrior series came up with either. I remember it from an old rules compendium from the mid-90s or something. <- nerd

=)

Also, cool of them to use the exact startup voice from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (albeit slightly changed).

Heat level critical. Shutdown sequence initiated...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC
77. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 19:50 nutshell42

Given Mass Effect's story and setting, the fact that a fucking Prothean on your crew is not a cornerstone of the plot is pretty appalling.

I think in my opinion it's actually worse than them selling an essential chara for extra-$$$. In the second case they'd just be greedy assholes, but brilliant greedy assholes.

This just shows that Drew Karpyshyn was the only guy with vision and brains on that project.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo for All
35. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo for All Feb 17, 2012, 15:39 nutshell42

WTF?

So with ME2 they went the shooter route. I didn't like that decision but I have to admit that if you want a shooter then ME2 is a better shooter than ME1.

But this is crap. As a shooter.
1. Your movement speed is ridiculous,
2. cover is glitchy, and
3. half the time you wanna get into cover you do something else because the Use/Sprint/Cover button is now the Use/Sprint/Cover/Roll/Collect Stuff button (it did collect stuff in ME2, too, but there was hardly anything to pick up. Press X to Jason all the way guys).
4. And on a purely subjective note it doesn't really feel like I'm there; there's a detachment between you and the character. Perhaps it's just the horrible animations.

The combat animations are horrible (for J. Jonah Jameson's opinion click here), in fact they've gone from good in ME1 to meh (or bad if you played a female shepard because they canned the female animations) in ME2 to ridiculous in ME3. Anderson is waddling in front of your face, Shepard's either to static if you run or ridiculous (see above) if you sprint and faces still are off, sometimes creepy (they might wanna call Valve).

The PC version is an afterthought.
a. We already know that they weren't ready to invest the time to port Gamepad support (too time consuming; funny how lots of one man operations manage to do it).
b. Textures are bad; in particular there's still the complete disconnect between a character's face and his body in all of the games copious close-ups in conversations.
c. Oh and you can no longer holster your weapon because they had to can the animation on XStation for memory reasons and couldn't be bothered to leave them in on PC.
d. There's no way to unbind the Press-X-to-Jason button and separate all those completely disparate actions. At least not officially, which leads to
e. There's still no mod support. And I'm not talking about a full SDK but simple stuff like retexturing. Expect some ini hacks at some point but that's it.

The demo was really too short and too targeted towards teh HalOZ crowd to judge the story but Shepards interaction with the Defense Committee was definitely written by Bad BioWare

Conclusion: I'm too invested in the series not to buy it. But I'm not 15 anymore and I got so many games I want to play on my shelves that I won't bother with that Origin crap and ME3 until the Steam Christmas Sale and EA's inevitable copycat operation.

Expect me to break down and buy it no later than May.

jm2c

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Footage
18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Footage Jan 22, 2012, 13:38 nutshell42

I also like Privateer 2 and WC:Prophecy.

The Darkening really didn't have much to do with WC per se and the cutscenes were a bit high concept (I like them but I see how some wouldn't). The gameplay, story and Clive Owen were top notch though.

Prophecy did a good job in a bad situation and for the first time since WC2 made capital ships scary.

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Footage Jan 21, 2012, 16:25 nutshell42

peteham wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 13:10:
Funny you'd mention WC, since Freddie Prinze Jr. starred as Blair in the horrible trainwreck of a movie

http://www.giantbomb.com/tang-wing-commander/17-1128/

Yeah, thanks. That was actually meant to be the point of my post, but I forgot to include it. -_-

@3R4as0R (or whatever. Sorry, your name is too k3'//l for me): You do know that there's a wide array of programs that try to help people with mental issues like yours?

9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Footage Jan 21, 2012, 09:56 nutshell42

And he didn't talk about Sci-Fi and RPGs but about Sci-Fi and games in general.

Wing Commander had great characters and story (for a game. But ME isn't any better. In fact WC3+4's character development, especially for the main character, blow ME out of the water) since 1990.

News Comments > PC Alan Wake Announced
25. Re: PC Alan Wake Announced Dec 14, 2011, 16:23 nutshell42

Remedy Entertainment is proud to announce the PC release of Alan Wake.

Fuck you Remedy.

News Comments > Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Announced
2. Re: Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Announced Nov 29, 2011, 11:50 nutshell42

Oh, and I love the ships; more specifically, I love the period form the early 18th to late 19th century and it's nice to get rid of those stupid floating shoe boxes.  

News Comments > Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Announced
1. Re: Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai Announced Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 nutshell42

Yes! Bakumatsu!

I've waited for this shit since the original Shogun. Land-sea interactions, the Shinsengumi; all I now want is a bit more meaningful diplomacy (especially more and more panicked peace entreaties once you've broken their back).

CA please take my money.

News Comments > Call of Duty Elite TV Console Only
6. Re: Call of Duty Elite TV Console Only Nov 5, 2011, 08:32 nutshell42

I'm inconsoleable.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Interview
21. Re: MechWarrior Online Interview Nov 1, 2011, 06:23 nutshell42

So you talk about upgrading skills, a leveling system, upgrading your Mech, and this is such a tricky area for F2P games. There are all these fears about pay-to-win games, and Mech aficianados, they know the specs on a Mech. They know what the Mech is capable of. How is progression going to work? It’s F2P, but obviously money comes into it somewhere. What does your money buy you?

BE: One of the most important things in any F2P games, in my opinion, is not allowing players to buy skill. The fastest way to destroy your game is to allow your players to buy something that gives them a tactical advantage over an enemy. So we’ve been very careful about what you can purchase and what you need to earn.

At least they seem to get that.

I otoh get why it's not gonna be single player (more expensive as you have to provide more content/game hour and it's more dependent on the big launch only a large publisher could provide), but I'm very disappointed nonetheless. I'm not a big online gamer, especially not pvp.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012
5. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 16:56 nutshell42

If I wanted Mechwarrior Online I'd play MW Living Legends.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2011, 16:16 nutshell42

(Btw. can anybody tell me something about the Steelseries G6v2? I need a new keyboard and it seems like a great deal for mechanical switches.)

I'd give a lot of money if I could send messages to the past.
Not to warn them, not to send modern tech, purely to give them sports results that would have sounded preposterous a few years ago.

On a related note:
I was ready to buy NFL.com's only streaming thingy. Then I saw that they want $250 for the season.

sc2casts.com might not be the NFL but I can watch it on Dell's great new LCD that I bought with that money.

They desperately need that "all games 3 days later" offer they had in the US for $80 or something. With the Bears at 4-3 that's definitely all I'm willing to pay.

News Comments > Blizzard DOTA Trailer
10. Re: Blizzard DOTA Trailer Oct 22, 2011, 16:20 nutshell42

Guys, I think it's pretty obvious from the trailer that this isn't a real game.

If you'd bothered to read the one line of text in this news post you'd know that it's a custom map for SCII.

It was originally announced with Left 2 Die, Aiur Chef and whatsitsname but pushed back because they wanted to re-do it as a more complete mod.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 This Decade
9. Re: MechWarrior 5 This Decade Oct 18, 2011, 14:51 nutshell42

Bumpy wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 13:26:
Yeah, anything less than Mech2 quality and features, then I could careless.

I don't know what you could do in that case, but I do know that you could do it *carelessly*, not careless.

Perhaps the release date's 20111 or something. You like WH40k? You want MW2? You get MW20k!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
60. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 19:43 nutshell42

1. I love the information density of the site.
The Shacknews frontpage is completely devoid of information and their news page gives you about two shitty headlines and soundbites per page so you develop RSI from getting up-to-date. Too many pictures, not enough content.

2. I love the wide format
Every other fucking page takes up about 20% of my widescreen monitor with gratuitous amounts of white space everywhere else. Add white space between posts, ads everywhere and combine it with the excessive klickibunti style mentioned in 1. makes me wanna shoot their web designers.

3. I think original content would be great
Editorials, interviews, how about an extended review round-up (Joystiq does it sometimes, but thanks to 1. and 2. they're limited to 3 reviews per game), i.e. the major sites, their scores and a sentence or two on the gist.

4. Please keep the wide variety of content
n/t

5. Keep the JS/BS in check.
I'm not a fan of javascript. I see how people who connect to the cloud to enhance their hip social lifestyles like it and I'm ready to accept some of it.
But the stuff that's on the page right now should stay there without having to click all kinds of interactive controls that fade extended content containers into and out of existence. Go to /. Look at the new slashcode. *Don't* do that. God that site went down the drain; I couldn't name anything more horrible than their new comments system.

6. Layout suggestions
Imho you could ditch the whole sidebar for a few dropdowns at the top for people who want it. This would open up space at the left for adding pictures to articles without violating 1&2 too badly.

In short: It's nice that there's one gaming page that's not made for retarded 13 year olds - with dyslexia and a profound disinterest in world affairs - surfing the web on a netbook with a 1024x600 resolution.

News Comments > New XCOM "Adheres to the Tenets" of X-COM (By Changing Everything)
23. Re: New XCOM Sep 22, 2011, 15:45 nutshell42

tl&dw summary:

"We took the beloved franchise we totally dig and ditched the gameplay and story.
This is now Bioshock: Tiberium Dawn.
Bonus: No longer will you have to save dirty brown people but can concentrate on the good Christian folks of Real America!"

Frankly the game doesn't look bad, but I fail to see why they felt the need to rape the corpse of the XCom franchise. This is worse than the clusterfuck that was the Uncharted movie before they sacked the asshole who came up with it.

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month
32. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:36 nutshell42

Tumbler wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 16:52:
Splurged and spent $20 on a new copy of the hardcover version. I'm guessing my wife will want to read them as well. Was tough not to jump to the audio edition...haven't read a book in a loooonnnngggg time.

Be careful, the hardcovers can kill a small dog. I'd recommend the regular paperback (are those out of print?).

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month
23. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:19 nutshell42

Looks like Amateur Hour: Total War (oh, sorry, Total War: Amateur Hour); and I wonder how a bunch of people designing a game "faithful" to the books managed to ignore at least a dozen descriptions of the wall and created a snowed in stone wall instead.

Not everything hast to be fucking perfect but that oversized ice cube is kinda the Westerosi equivalent of the Eiffel tower.

News Comments > Doom of Germany's DOOM Ban Explained
6. Re: Doom of Germany's DOOM Ban Explained Sep 1, 2011, 15:16 nutshell42

sauron wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 14:09:
Blue wrote on Sep 1, 2011:
Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien

Signmakers in Germany must make an absolute fortune.

As opposed to the short and concise Entertainment Software Ratings Board?

213 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo